Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • littlebit: Makes sense.
    July 16, 2017, 04:40:28 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Boards will stay open for a place people can find history information longer. I am not allowing anyone to sign up for now because of so many foreginers just wanting to promote their business..
    December 10, 2016, 05:10:27 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Not sure why didn't look, I may be shutting down these message boards..
    November 17, 2016, 12:42:43 AM
  • ~kathy~: rick why is the timestamp showing up a day in advance?
    September 13, 2016, 12:27:46 AM
  • Valor7: What I tried to say is that the actual money would not be there that quick. But a loan against that would work if they are willing to do that.
    August 08, 2016, 01:51:51 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Why so long before it comes online? 911 took out a loan or bond with the known guarantee payment and began building..
    August 08, 2016, 07:46:34 AM
  • Valor7: Actually no it is not, a dependable Revenue stream will not come on line until the 4th quarter of 2017 so 2018 budget will be up in the air, not quite sure what they will have. By 2019 budget all will be well.
    August 04, 2016, 09:27:17 PM
  • Valor7: You mean that tax that the Commissioners would not put on the ballot for so many years? Strange things happened when the citizens got a chance to vote on that issue.
    August 03, 2016, 06:43:06 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Back up is now available withe the new tax..
    August 03, 2016, 05:01:35 PM
  • Valor7: Thanks a lot Ladies!!
    July 29, 2016, 01:16:13 PM
  • littlebit: ((*(*&
    July 27, 2016, 03:47:52 PM
  • ~kathy~: lol
    July 15, 2016, 09:34:56 AM
  • Valor7: A guy could get killed around here while waiting for backup!
    July 13, 2016, 07:31:58 PM
  • Lepard LLC: You are not alone..
    July 13, 2016, 07:28:53 PM
  • Valor7: I just hate it when I talk to myself!!!!
    July 08, 2016, 12:54:09 PM
  • Valor7: I could have worded that better, we talked details, options, the pros and cons of each, in  order to arrive at the best ballot language to present to the voters. Hope that makes this clearer.
    April 15, 2016, 06:36:14 PM
  • Valor7: sorry about the typos still working with just one arm in action
    April 13, 2016, 01:10:42 PM
  • Valor7: Yes and no. We talked details and options until we were blue in the face but I never heardbring it over, it was always the time was not right for the issue to pass. Glad to see the time in now right and I for one shall vote yes on the ballot. I would urge all others to do the sameour county is busting at the seams crimewise and no matter how many bad guys we send off there always seems to someone to replace them. The Sheriff's Office needs the help.
    April 13, 2016, 01:08:35 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Is that true Valor? Did he ask you what you wanted?
    March 01, 2016, 04:55:37 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Gene Newkirk Rick I have waited for a Sheriff to bring it to me on what he wanted. I have pushed Mr long for a while to get it to me. He told me he was close to having or done. Now hopefully the people will get to decide on it. I spoke with Steve about this a few times.
    March 01, 2016, 04:54:54 AM
  • Kimberly: Wow- I have a new name..........
    February 23, 2016, 10:25:15 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Works on mine, improvements are being done here. I may kick back into her a lot and post but working on different technologies right now. Seeing how things interact.
    January 18, 2016, 09:01:20 AM
  • Valor7: Yes it is working. If you need a laugh the wife showed me how to correctly use the silly thing.
    January 04, 2016, 05:32:59 PM
  • Valor7: Think so, mine is trying to work but it is now user and password protected and I dont know mine
    December 17, 2015, 01:32:16 PM
  • "DJ": Is there still a working android app for the PCSD
    December 14, 2015, 08:14:53 PM

Author Topic: Drinking age possibly being lowered to 18 for military?  (Read 14654 times)

Offline Lepard LLC

• Activist
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Drinking age possibly being lowered to 18 for military?
« on: January 09, 2008, 02:36:55 PM »

Share/Bookmark

Fort Wood Hotel

Boards

Devils Elbow

Attractions

Sports

St. Robert

Waynesville

PC Daily

Dixon

Menu Guide

Fun Links

Homework

Crocker

Fort Wood

Swedeborg

Big Piney

Laquey

Classifieds

Restaurants

Richland

Fort  Hotels

I heard something the other day that said congress was considering lowering the drinking age to 18 for active duty military.. Can you imagine the bar businesses around here then?

Offline julymorning

• View Profile
Re: Drinking age possibly being lowered to 18 for military?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2008, 02:52:09 PM »
What kind of sense does that make?  Two kids go to purchase booze, both are 18, the clerk behind the counter asks "Are you military?"  "Okay, here's your alcohol."  "Oh, your buddy isn't?"  "Sorry, he'll have to inlist or turn 21 before I can sell it to him."
Hey, it's just me, Suzi

Offline Coyote

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2008, 03:08:46 PM »
When I was in, they did that, but only overseas where the drinking age is already 18 or sometimes less.  I don't see it happening unless it's on post only and then their guests would have to be 21 or more.  Hmmm.  It could work.  I used to run from MO to KS to drink when I was 18.
....and that night as the moon crossed the mountain, one more Coyote was heard...

Offline julymorning

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2008, 03:18:54 PM »
Is this just a move to keep military underage out of the red tape that comes from getting busted?
Hey, it's just me, Suzi

Offline Traveler

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2008, 03:21:36 PM »
Prior to Reagan you could drink on post if you had a military member ID.

I drank legally at Ft. Ord at 17 and we had beer machines in the barracks.

Today however I don't see us going back to that. Back then you had to have attended track 3 to get promoted........8^)
"The Republicans know we have a constitution, and they dismiss it with contempt and arrogance ... The Democrats simply act like they never heard of it ..."

Offline julymorning

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2008, 03:23:44 PM »
I ask that because while we can argue the pros and cons of lowering the drinking age til the cows come home, what sets active military apart from the general population in this regard?
Hey, it's just me, Suzi

Offline Coyote

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2008, 03:29:02 PM »
Beer machines??  LOL!!

Prior to Reagan you could drink on post if you had a military member ID.

I drank legally at Ft. Ord at 17 and we had beer machines in the barracks.

Today however I don't see us going back to that. Back then you had to have attended track 3 to get promoted........8^)
....and that night as the moon crossed the mountain, one more Coyote was heard...

Offline Geezer Glide Taz

• Land Of The Free, Because Of The Brave
  • Riding Vertical Shiny Side Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2008, 05:01:43 PM »
Back then you could only by and consum on a military installation above the age of 18. When I was at Ft Hood, the soldiers club could sell to soldiers over the age of 18, but the class six could not. Also, when they left post, they had to adhire to the laws of the state, meaning off post you had to be 21 to buy or consum.

Freedom Of Road Riders,
Protecting and informing riders in Missouri
www.midamericafreedomrally.com

Please watch out for Motorcycles on the road
The life you save might be mine

Offline Princess04

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2008, 05:45:29 PM »
My thought on  this....they are old enough to handle all guns and heavy equipment, and risk they're own life for ours..they deserve to drink, they  really do. But of course they would have the military ID to prove they are military.
"Always follow your dreams...except for the ones when your naked in public"

Offline Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2008, 06:04:28 PM »
There are those that will get drunk and in trouble. The ones that have a couple beers at the game or bar will not have to fear getting busted for underage drinking. If you are trusted to sign for a million dollar piece of equipment or several thousands in weapons you should be able to have a drink. After experiencing Basic and AIT I consider the person to be a young MAN/Woman.
If your going to be dumb, you better be tough!

Offline Princess04

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2008, 06:06:24 PM »
Exactly....and if they do get dumb and stupid...well then they get  the consequences...which I  believe  are sturn..lol

Offline fknarmyguyretired

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2008, 06:23:15 PM »
beer machines were good, but not as good as beer delivery to your door (like the milk man used to do in the US) in germany.

Beer machines??  LOL!!

Offline 02Tundra

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2008, 07:19:07 PM »
That is a good point fknarmyguyretired, I remember beer delivery to the door with a smile on my face!  When I first came in we could even drink a beer a lunch, both on post and off.  A few years after I got to Germany they put a stop to that, because the few screwed it up for the many as it normally happens.  Used to enjoy going to a gasthaus off post and get a beer with my meal.

Offline melissacaroline

• I'm a welsh girl livin' in Missouri!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2008, 07:20:36 PM »
Being European where the age limit is 18 - I was shocked to see it was 21 when I moved to the states....then I realized WHY!!!! The culture is totally different over here....not sure if lowering it - even just to military would work......
I won't mind my daughter having the odd glass of wine with dinner when she turns 18 - as I always had wine with dinner on weekends, or a beer here and there since I was 15...but always drank in moderation...still do (if taken on a nice date by my husband....um, happened only twice since the twins have been in our lives!lol!)
Lots to consider...Melissa

Offline tpgunbiz

• B.M.F.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2008, 08:08:15 PM »
I believe that a a person is old enough to fight and die for the freedoms we have then they should be allowed every one of those freedoms. I would advocate having a limit on what they could consume maybe by giving them a credit card sort of deal that counted purchases,per day or per hour if need be.
Biscuit

Offline julymorning

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2008, 09:23:28 PM »
I believe that a a person is old enough to fight and die for the freedoms we have then they should be allowed every one of those freedoms. I would advocate having a limit on what they could consume maybe by giving them a credit card sort of deal that counted purchases,per day or per hour if need be.

So far this is the only response that makes sense to me.  If I thought it was a good idea to simply make it easier for the physiology of a young body to get smashed.

Hey, it's just me, Suzi

retired1_us

« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2008, 09:36:13 PM »
Being European where the age limit is 18 - I was shocked to see it was 21 when I moved to the states....then I realized WHY!!!! The culture is totally different over here....not sure if lowering it - even just to military would work......
I won't mind my daughter having the odd glass of wine with dinner when she turns 18 - as I always had wine with dinner on weekends, or a beer here and there since I was 15...but always drank in moderation...still do (if taken on a nice date by my husband....um, happened only twice since the twins have been in our lives!lol!)
Lots to consider...Melissa

You hit the nail on the head there - and unfortunately not enough Americans are aware of that.  Bars in Europe have huge glass windows for instance, and in the states the rules are you can't look inside from the outside (something similar). 

Drinking is tolerated but only under leftovers of archaic prohibition era laws.  I could go on, but will leave it simple.

The beer man was cool and so was the infamous beer machine.  In my day you could drink 3.2 beer all day long on post.  Of course the national beer and wine drinking ages were 18 as well.

To Traveler - Track 3 - good to see another from "those days" still kickin'  LOL.

Offline stevencr

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2008, 11:17:59 PM »
I don't think there is anything wrong with it, because if you can fight and die for your contry then why can't you drink legally in your contry.

Offline julymorning

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2008, 11:25:50 PM »
I don't think there is anything wrong with it, because if you can fight and die for your contry then why can't you drink legally in your contry.

Well, then, why not just lower it for everyone?  Much easier, no need to be sorting everyone out in the checkout line.
Hey, it's just me, Suzi

Offline julymorning

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2008, 11:27:05 PM »
Oh, I get it, maybe if the drinking age was lowered for military kids, more would sign up.   What an interesting incentive.
Hey, it's just me, Suzi

Offline Just_a_Biker

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2008, 11:38:40 PM »

Well, then, why not just lower it for everyone?  Much easier, no need to be sorting everyone out in the checkout line.

Oh, I get it, maybe if the drinking age was lowered for military kids, more would sign up.   What an interesting incentive.

WRONG!!  If someone is responsible enough to enlist in Service of their country they have every right to drink.  Just by signing those papers and raising their hand to take the oath they have shown more maturity and responsibility than their peers.  It's a simple fix, you want to buy alcohol, show a military ID; that's the way it used to be and that's the way it should be.
The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. Cicero - 55 BC, Rome

Offline fish

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2008, 03:44:42 AM »
what other 18 year old is more deserving?
The wisconsin governer proposed the same thing a year or so ago. I don't know what the status of the proposal is.
Bases used to sell 3.2 beer years ago also.The taste of 3.2 beats the hell out of the non alcoholic beer.
It wasn't until about 1971 those under 21 in the military couldn't vote.

Offline sapperwife1976

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2008, 06:18:46 PM »
It's not like its not already going on.  They have older friends that buy for them so they get to drink anyways.
If it has tires or testicles, it's gonna give you trouble. *anonymous*

Offline Just_a_Biker

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2008, 10:33:37 PM »
It's not like its not already going on.  They have older friends that buy for them so they get to drink anyways.

That's not the point.  The point is Servicemembers should not have to break the law, they should be allowed to LEGALLY drink alcohol in the country that they are defending, as well as it's provinces & territories...
The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. Cicero - 55 BC, Rome

Offline sapperwife1976

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2008, 11:46:20 PM »
Um yeah, that was kinda my point, I guess I just didn't finish it.  My point was, they're already doing it, might as well make it legal.
If it has tires or testicles, it's gonna give you trouble. *anonymous*

Offline mkraemer804

• My babies
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2008, 12:50:43 AM »
personally I think that the law should be equal for everyone.  Ya, the military risks their lives, and handles expensive guns and things like that, but should they be drunk or hungover doing that so young? 
~~Mary

Offline Princess04

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2008, 06:31:52 PM »
Who says they are gonna be doing it drunk?!

Offline Geezer Glide Taz

• Land Of The Free, Because Of The Brave
  • Riding Vertical Shiny Side Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2008, 06:44:29 PM »
Age limit was 18 when I went in, and I worked with nukes, and I never blew anything up.... that I know of
There was this minor detonation in LA, but nobody noticed
Freedom Of Road Riders,
Protecting and informing riders in Missouri
www.midamericafreedomrally.com

Please watch out for Motorcycles on the road
The life you save might be mine