Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • littlebit: Makes sense.
    July 16, 2017, 04:40:28 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Boards will stay open for a place people can find history information longer. I am not allowing anyone to sign up for now because of so many foreginers just wanting to promote their business..
    December 10, 2016, 05:10:27 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Not sure why didn't look, I may be shutting down these message boards..
    November 17, 2016, 12:42:43 AM
  • ~kathy~: rick why is the timestamp showing up a day in advance?
    September 13, 2016, 12:27:46 AM
  • Valor7: What I tried to say is that the actual money would not be there that quick. But a loan against that would work if they are willing to do that.
    August 08, 2016, 01:51:51 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Why so long before it comes online? 911 took out a loan or bond with the known guarantee payment and began building..
    August 08, 2016, 07:46:34 AM
  • Valor7: Actually no it is not, a dependable Revenue stream will not come on line until the 4th quarter of 2017 so 2018 budget will be up in the air, not quite sure what they will have. By 2019 budget all will be well.
    August 04, 2016, 09:27:17 PM
  • Valor7: You mean that tax that the Commissioners would not put on the ballot for so many years? Strange things happened when the citizens got a chance to vote on that issue.
    August 03, 2016, 06:43:06 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Back up is now available withe the new tax..
    August 03, 2016, 05:01:35 PM
  • Valor7: Thanks a lot Ladies!!
    July 29, 2016, 01:16:13 PM
  • littlebit: ((*(*&
    July 27, 2016, 03:47:52 PM
  • ~kathy~: lol
    July 15, 2016, 09:34:56 AM
  • Valor7: A guy could get killed around here while waiting for backup!
    July 13, 2016, 07:31:58 PM
  • Lepard LLC: You are not alone..
    July 13, 2016, 07:28:53 PM
  • Valor7: I just hate it when I talk to myself!!!!
    July 08, 2016, 12:54:09 PM
  • Valor7: I could have worded that better, we talked details, options, the pros and cons of each, in  order to arrive at the best ballot language to present to the voters. Hope that makes this clearer.
    April 15, 2016, 06:36:14 PM
  • Valor7: sorry about the typos still working with just one arm in action
    April 13, 2016, 01:10:42 PM
  • Valor7: Yes and no. We talked details and options until we were blue in the face but I never heardbring it over, it was always the time was not right for the issue to pass. Glad to see the time in now right and I for one shall vote yes on the ballot. I would urge all others to do the sameour county is busting at the seams crimewise and no matter how many bad guys we send off there always seems to someone to replace them. The Sheriff's Office needs the help.
    April 13, 2016, 01:08:35 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Is that true Valor? Did he ask you what you wanted?
    March 01, 2016, 04:55:37 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Gene Newkirk Rick I have waited for a Sheriff to bring it to me on what he wanted. I have pushed Mr long for a while to get it to me. He told me he was close to having or done. Now hopefully the people will get to decide on it. I spoke with Steve about this a few times.
    March 01, 2016, 04:54:54 AM
  • Kimberly: Wow- I have a new name..........
    February 23, 2016, 10:25:15 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Works on mine, improvements are being done here. I may kick back into her a lot and post but working on different technologies right now. Seeing how things interact.
    January 18, 2016, 09:01:20 AM
  • Valor7: Yes it is working. If you need a laugh the wife showed me how to correctly use the silly thing.
    January 04, 2016, 05:32:59 PM
  • Valor7: Think so, mine is trying to work but it is now user and password protected and I dont know mine
    December 17, 2015, 01:32:16 PM
  • "DJ": Is there still a working android app for the PCSD
    December 14, 2015, 08:14:53 PM

Author Topic: W's achievements  (Read 10376 times)

Offline oldcowpoke

• View Profile
Re: W's achievements
« Reply #60 on: January 13, 2009, 01:18:59 AM »

Share/Bookmark

Fort Wood Hotel

Boards

Devils Elbow

Attractions

Sports

St. Robert

Waynesville

PC Daily

Dixon

Menu Guide

Fun Links

Homework

Crocker

Fort Wood

Swedeborg

Big Piney

Laquey

Classifieds

Restaurants

Richland

Fort  Hotels

If the all powerful W created all those terrorists, then why haven't we been attacked since 9/11? other countries have, but we have not.

Bush 41 was successful in the 1st gulf war. when saddam withdrew from kuwait, the objective of liberating kuwait was met and the war ended.  bagdad was not the objective. if people believe otherwise, why all the bitching of going to iraq now?
Because of the screwed up excuses. If he is the real deal as you say he is, why didnt he just say he wanted to take down saddam for the attempted assassination of Bush 41? Everybody knew from day 1 that is why he was going but 8 years worth of excuses? Rove/Cheney/Rumsfeld could not have been more grateful for Dubya jumping into their lap.

Offline matrsnot

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 13, 2009, 01:25:29 AM »
Criminal Justice?  What planet do you live on oldcowpoke?  There is no such thing in this country anymore.  There is only a legal system that has been bastardized beyond belief.  Money talks and BS walks and that includes the court system.  Need an example?  OJ.  No the system in this country does way too much to protect terrorists and give them rights only we as citizens should have.  They are not citizens of this country, then they should not benefit from our legal system.  Those terrorists being citizens of this country should be tried, and if convicted, executed forthwith.  Mr. Reid is a great example of that.  He should have been executed, not gone to prison for a few years.  JMO.  commit treason?  Death penalty and no waiting 15 or more years to carry it out.  And please remember I am speaking of terrorists and not just the run of the mill criminals we deal with every day.
In your post above here, I have to agree with you about revenge.  I had mentioned that in another post.  Revenge and oil were the reasons for Iraq. 

Offline oldcowpoke

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 13, 2009, 02:03:12 AM »
Criminal Justice?  What planet do you live on oldcowpoke?  There is no such thing in this country anymore.  There is only a legal system that has been bastardized beyond belief.  Money talks and BS walks and that includes the court system.  Need an example?  OJ.  No the system in this country does way too much to protect terrorists and give them rights only we as citizens should have.  They are not citizens of this country, then they should not benefit from our legal system.  Those terrorists being citizens of this country should be tried, and if convicted, executed forthwith.  Mr. Reid is a great example of that.  He should have been executed, not gone to prison for a few years.  JMO.  commit treason?  Death penalty and no waiting 15 or more years to carry it out.  And please remember I am speaking of terrorists and not just the run of the mill criminals we deal with every day.
In your post above here, I have to agree with you about revenge.  I had mentioned that in another post.  Revenge and oil were the reasons for Iraq.
and that is a legitimate reason for going to war? Because the judicial system is broken? Tell that to the families of the 4000 dead and tens of thousands maimed.

We never bombed the Pakistanis for the World Trade Center, but we tried and convicted Ramzi Yousef. Why make a switch from what worked in previous terrorist attack?

The masterminds of the Cole bombing were brought to justice too. So why suddenly we got to go to war? Because there was a wannabe cowboy in charge. That is why. He had to make it look like he was boss. Little big man Bush.

Offline fish

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 13, 2009, 03:54:37 AM »
nope,saddam was promoting terrorism,rattling his sword and trying to get a nuke. reread all those un resolutions he violated that called for a military response. explain the 550 tons of yellow cake taken out of irag. who got the masterminds of the uss cole bombing and when? it wasn't bubba.

Offline oldcowpoke

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 13, 2009, 05:00:57 AM »
nope,saddam was promoting terrorism,rattling his sword and trying to get a nuke. reread all those un resolutions he violated that called for a military response. explain the 550 tons of yellow cake taken out of irag. who got the masterminds of the uss cole bombing and when? it wasn't bubba.
You DO remember that the attack occurred in the Yemen harbor, right? Under Yemen jurisdiction. Other countries have courts too, you know. One of the masterminds is in custody of US authorities at one of the famous "undisclosed locations". He was sentenced to death by a Yemen judge.  Others were tried and convicted and imprisoned and one of those was sentenced to death too.

Oh. I will have to see your proof of who where and when on that "550 tons of yellow cake taken out of irag"

Offline fish

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 13, 2009, 04:58:32 PM »
July 08, 2008  The 550 Tons of Yellowcake 
For years, the media and Democrats have sold the public an understanding that Gerorge W. Bush fabricated a story that Saddam Hussein had a WMD program in order to justify invading Iraq, which invasion then becomes "based on a lie."

About 550 metric tons of yellowcake concentrated uranium were recently shipped out of Iraq.  It had been part of Saddam Hussein's nuclear program.  That much was recently reported by the Associated Press .  I wrote an article for American Thinker that commented on that story the day it appeared.

That yellowcake stockpile pre-dated 1991, and had been under the UN's International Atomic Energy Agency "safeguard" from then until 2003.  That was mentioned in the AP article and I mentioned it in the update to my article the day it was published.  In fact, American Thinker contributors Douglas Hanson and Rick Moran had written about that yellowcake stockpile years ago here, here and here.  Douglas Hanson reported four years ago:
[/]

"Professor Norman Dombey, professor of theoretical physics at the University of Sussex, England, has confirmed that Saddam Hussein had more than enough yellowcake uranium to make over 100 nuclear weapons."
 The recent AP story was not news with respect to the existence of this stockpile in Iraq to those who follow such things closely.  But I'm sure many readers had never been aware of this large stockpile of yellowcake in Iraq at all.  This new AP story, and perhaps my article, helped get that information out.  As Investor's Business Daily more recently put it , "Seems to us this should be big news," but "the mainstream media find it inconveniently contradicts the story they have been telling you for years."
 Also, this new story reminded even those aware of its existence of what a huge and dangerous stockpile it was.  First, it took 37 military flights to ship it from Baghdad to Diego Garcia.  Even when not processed into nuclear weapons, it was dangerous in its own right, being radioactive.  It could also be used in other methods of spreading radiation short of full nuclear bombs.  The AP story explained the logistical nightmare of simply transporting it.  It also cited the fear of it falling into the hands of insurgents.  That is how dangerous it was when we were in control of it.
 However, some readers have noted its "old news" aspect.  One wrote the American Thinker as follows.
  "Of course there was lots of yellow cake in Iraq . Those news orgs you so dislike reported five years ago on how tons of it was just sitting out in the open in Tawaitha. It was so accessible that the locals were looting the site. Most of the articles at that time were critical of the lack of security from U.S. troops for the former nuclear development site. Please note the word former...it's pretty important since former was the word you could use in 2000 as well. Anyway, that isn't news. Neither is the fact that Saddam had delivery mechanisms. However, he did not have an active nuclear weapons program, unless one means the capacity to deliver one or two dirty bombs (which the yellow cake couldn't be used for, btw, because it is basically an inert compound). But even dirty bombs aren't a particularly scary threat, since you or I or anyone else could buy materials for dirty bombs at Home Depot. But Saddam just didn't have the resources to do anything more than that due to IAEA inspections and other international efforts. In fact, he didn't have any technology or raw materials dating anytime after 1991. He was technologically impotent. Which means the UN's efforts, so belittled by the Bush administration in the ramp-up to invasion (as well as by revisionist neocon historians...?) had worked exactly as intended. So the "American Thinker" article is really a great example of precisely the distorted sort of ranting that it tries to claim is nobly contrary to popular sentiment but somehow true. But it's not true. It's simply bizarre."
 I believe the dirty bomb scenario is irrelevant here.  Saddam could have had an active program without having anything in production or deliverable at all.  A weapon program is not a weapon; it is a program -- it means the potential for future weapons.  This distinction seems to get lost way too often.
 I also believe it is way too naive to think being under IAEA safeguard really means "safe".  First, Saddam continually defied the IAEA as it was; that was a reason for multiple UN resolutions to sanction him.  Second, the IAEA got what little respect it did from Saddam because the U.S. was backing it up with about 150,000 troops on the ready nearby.  Third, Saddam was using oil-for-food money to bribe away the sanctions and inspection regime (see the Duelfer Report).  Fourth, why didn't the IAEA make Saddam get rid of it?  In short, the IAEA was no guarantee that Saddam would keep his hands off that stockpile in the near future, or that he was keeping away from it even then.
 But a question remains: Was Saddam's nuclear weapon program active at the time of our invasion in 2003? As IBD puts it, this yellowcake stockpile "more or less proves Saddam in 2003 had a program on hold for building WMD and that he planned to boot it up again soon."
 Is a program that is "on hold" not an "active" program?  Does it matter?  After all, a "program" is not currently deliverable WMD; it is the potential of future WMD.  In turn, a program "on hold" just pushes the date of deliverable WMD a little more into the future.  How tightly do you want to time defending yourself against incoming WMD?  (To many critics, there just never seems to be a good time.  From the time WMD are in development to the time nuclear missiles are inbound, these critics just can't seem to find an appropriate window of opportunity to defend against them.)
 But let me get back to the question of whether Saddam had an active nuclear program in 2003, in the strong sense of the word "active".  The recent AP story on the shipment of the stockpile to Canada does not let us conclude anything one way or the other on that.  But that does not mean that Saddam did not have an active WMD program in 2003.  Nor does it mean the 550 tons of yellowcake were "safe", even if under UN "safeguard".  Nor does it mean we had nothing to worry about from Saddam regarding WMD in 2003.  It simply means, as it always did, that in 2003 Saddam was sitting on enough yellowcake to make more than 100 nuclear weapons.
 While some read the Duelfer Report as conclusive and definitive (meaning no nuclear program in 2003, period), read its "findings" closely. Duelfer states that "Iraq's ability to reconstitute a nuclear weapons program progressively decayed" after 1991, and the "ISG found no evidence to suggest concerted efforts to restart the program."
 A "decayed" ability does not mean non-existent.  Finding "no evidence" does not mean no existence.  And why would an effort need to be "concerted?"  (Always beware of adjectives in executive summaries.)  Duelfer also reports "Iraq took steps to conceal key elements of its program."  In the nuclear section of the Duelfer report, the word "looted" is found 28 times, as in "U.S. military forces found Al-Athir abandoned and heavily looted.  ISG visited and found no evidence of uranium conversion activities."
 I do not think it "bizarre" that the Saddam regime, one that had once had WMD programs and deployable chemical weapons (which are WMD), a government that had defied UN inspectors multiple times, and one that "took steps to conceal" its WMD programs, might just clear out evidence of its programs -- those areas that were "looted" -- once it was likely they would fall into the hands of the U.S. Coalition.  As I have said before , Eliot Ness also found "no evidence" in Al Capone's hotel room.
 Frankly, I don't know for sure what is true.  Saddam might have had ready-to-go WMD, but they were hidden or taken to another country by the time our CIA inspectors showed up in Iraq.  (Duelfer says "we cannot express a firm view on the possibility that WMD elements were relocated out of Iraq prior to the war.")  Saddam might have had active programs, but they were concealed at the time, with the evidence destroyed ("looted") by March 2003.  Or maybe he really did put all his programs on hiatus by 2003.  But even Charles Duelfer concluded that Saddam had every intention of getting back into the WMD business as soon as he could end the sanctions regime, which he was busy doing with oil-for-food bribes.
 I think it neither illogical nor bizarre to think Saddam had WMD or WMD programs in 2003.  I still believe he did, in a "preponderance of the evidence" sense.  And I believe, beyond a reasonable doubt, that he would have been back in the WMD business by now, if not by 2004, had we not invaded.
 That he sat on 550 metric tons of yellowcake under UN "safeguard" is about as comforting to me as knowing the convicted child rapist next door has a case of duct tape (dual use, by the way) that the police check up on every week.   http://www.americanthinker.com/2008/07/the_550_tons_of_yellowcake.html

Offline freethinker

• My boston - emerSIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 13, 2009, 05:10:32 PM »
fish.....  that's not technically news buddy....

some guy who "believe's" that "might" have happened is not something you should be hinging your arguements on.

Offline fish

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 13, 2009, 05:16:27 PM »
it was there and it was moved. but you probably still won't believe it unless you see it.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/07/05/world/main4235028.shtml
 .hideit {display:none}    if (ANSW.Trigger.altClickSupported()) {  if (document.getElementById('hideit'))document.getElementById('hideit').disabled=true; }    (AP) The last major remnant of Saddam Hussein's nuclear program - a huge stockpile of concentrated natural uranium reached a Canadian port Saturday to complete a secret U.S. operation that included a two-week airlift from Baghdad and a ship voyage crossing two oceans.

The removal of 550 metric tons of "yellowcake" - the seed material for higher-grade nuclear enrichment - was a significant step toward closing the books on Saddam's nuclear legacy. It also brought relief to U.S. and Iraqi authorities who had worried the cache would reach insurgents or smugglers crossing to Iran to aid its nuclear ambitions.

What is now left is the final and complicated push to clean up the remaining radioactive debris at the former Tuwaitha nuclear complex about 12 miles (19 kilometers) south of Baghdad - using teams that include Iraqi experts recently trained in the Chernobyl fallout zone in Ukraine.

"Everyone is very happy to have this safely out of Iraq," said a senior U.S. official who outlined the nearly three-month operation to The Associated Press. The official spoke on condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the subject.

While yellowcake alone is not considered potent enough for a so-called "dirty bomb" - a conventional explosive that disperses radioactive material - it could stir widespread panic if incorporated in a blast. Yellowcake also can be enriched for use in reactors and, at higher levels, nuclear weapons using sophisticated equipment.

The Iraqi government sold the yellowcake to a Canadian uranium producer, Cameco Corp., in a transaction the official described as worth "tens of millions of dollars." A Cameco spokesman, Lyle Krahn, declined to discuss the price, but said the yellowcake will be processed at facilities in Ontario for use in energy-producing reactors.

"We are pleased ... that we have taken (the yellowcake) from a volatile region into a stable area to produce clean electricity," he said.

The deal culminated more than a year of intense diplomatic and military initiatives - kept hushed in fear of ambushes or attacks once the convoys were under way: first carrying 3,500 barrels by road to Baghdad, then on 37 military flights to the Indian Ocean atoll of Diego Garcia and finally aboard a U.S.-flagged ship for a 8,500-mile trip to Montreal.

And, in a symbolic way, the mission linked the current attempts to stabilize Iraq with some of the high-profile claims about Saddam's weapons capabilities in the buildup to the 2003 invasion.

Accusations that Saddam had tried to purchase more yellowcake from the African nation of Niger - and an article by a former U.S. ambassador refuting the claims - led to a wide-ranging probe into Washington leaks that reached high into the Bush administration.

Tuwaitha and an adjacent research facility were well known for decades as the centerpiece of Saddam's nuclear efforts.

Israeli warplanes bombed a reactor project at the site in 1981. Later, U.N. inspectors documented and safeguarded the yellowcake, which had been stored in aging drums and containers since before the 1991 Gulf War. There was no evidence of any yellowcake dating from after 1991, the official said.

U.S. and Iraqi forces have guarded the 23,000-acre (9,300-hectare) site - surrounded by huge sand berms - following a wave of looting after Saddam's fall that included villagers toting away yellowcake storage barrels for use as drinking water cisterns.

Yellowcake is obtained by using various solutions to leach out uranium from raw ore and can have a corn meal-like color and consistency. It poses no severe risk if stored and sealed properly. But exposure carries well-documented health concerns associated with heavy metals such as damage to internal organs, experts say.

"The big problem comes with any inhalation of any of the yellowcake dust," said Doug Brugge, a professor of public health issues at the Tufts University School of Medicine.

Moving the yellowcake faced numerous hurdles.

Diplomats and military leaders first weighed the idea of shipping the yellowcake overland to Kuwait's port on the Persian Gulf. Such a route, however, would pass through Iraq's Shiite heartland and within easy range of extremist factions, including some that Washington claims are aided by Iran. The ship also would need to clear the narrow Strait of Hormuz at the mouth of the Gulf, where U.S. and Iranian ships often come in close contact.

Kuwaiti authorities, too, were reluctant to open their borders to the shipment despite top-level lobbying from Washington.

An alternative plan took shape: shipping out the yellowcake on cargo planes.

But the yellowcake still needed a final destination. Iraqi government officials sought buyers on the commercial market, where uranium prices spiked at about $120 per pound last year. It's currently selling for about half that. The Cameco deal was reached earlier this year, the official said.

At that point, U.S.-led crews began removing the yellowcake from the Saddam-era containers - some leaking or weakened by corrosion - and reloading the material into about 3,500 secure barrels.

In April, truck convoys started moving the yellowcake from Tuwaitha to Baghdad's international airport, the official said. Then, for two weeks in May, it was ferried in 37 flights to Diego Garcia, a speck of British territory in the Indian Ocean where the U.S. military maintains a base.

On June 3, an American ship left the island for Montreal, said the official, who declined to give further details about the operation.

The yellowcake wasn't the only dangerous item removed from Tuwaitha.

Earlier this year, the military withdrew four devices for controlled radiation exposure from the former nuclear complex. The lead-enclosed irradiation units, used to decontaminate food and other items, contain elements of high radioactivity that could potentially be used in a weapon, according to the official. Their Ottawa-based manufacturer, MDS Nordion, took them back for free, the official said.

The yellowcake was the last major stockpile from Saddam's nuclear efforts, but years of final cleanup is ahead for Tuwaitha and other smaller sites.

The U.N.'s International Atomic Energy Agency plans to offer technical expertise.

Last month, a team of Iraqi nuclear experts completed training in the Ukrainian ghost town of Pripyat, which once housed the Chernobyl workers before the deadly meltdown in 1986, said an IAEA official who spoke on condition of anonymity because the decontamination plan has not yet been publicly announced.

But the job ahead is enormous, complicated by digging out radioactive "hot zones" entombed in concrete during Saddam's rule, said the IAEA official. Last year, an IAEA safety expert, Dennis Reisenweaver, predicted the cleanup could take "many years."

The yellowcake issue also is one of the many troubling footnotes of the war for Washington.

A CIA officer, Valerie Plame, claimed her identity was leaked to journalists to retaliate against her husband, former Ambassador Joe Wilson, who wrote that he had found no evidence to support assertions that Iraq tried to buy additional yellowcake from Niger.

A federal investigation led to the conviction of I. Lewis "Scooter" Libby, Vice President Dick Cheney's chief of staff, on charges of perjury and obstruction of justice.

Offline igahmah at work

• Global Moderator
  • Some pursue happiness, others create it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 13, 2009, 06:00:27 PM »
Stop the insanity........even President elect Obama says move on. 

What is wrong with you people.  You are not going to solve the current problems  or change anything that has happened in the past by continuing to talk about everything that W did wrong.  Yeah, he screwed up (albeit keeping us safe in the process) but he is leaving office.  You all just keep going around the same tree, chasing your tails.

Those that hate Bush, you got your way, Obama is our next president.

For those who support Bush, he's gone, whatever he has done or not done is in the past.  We are were we are now.  Let it rest.  How long are you going to keep discussing this issue.  It's getting boring.  I keep looking because I think just maybe someone will put something new and interesting, but it is the same old thing over and over.
When I was young, I wanted to be older.  This is not what I expected!

Offline freethinker

• My boston - emerSIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 13, 2009, 06:05:12 PM »
ahhh, much better pal :)

thats much easier to read as actual news and not political pandering like the first one....

cheers

Offline What_The?

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 13, 2009, 06:57:40 PM »
NEW YORK (CNN) -- One week from today, a historic presidency begins and a tarnished presidency ends.

The inauguration of Barack Obama, the first African-American president, cannot come quickly enough for the vast majority of Americans.

This young man with the keen disciplined mind and the buffed body begins a presidency with high hopes, goodwill and a never-ending list of problems left on the Oval Office desk by George Walker Bush, the ever-confident occupant of that high office who seems like the dinner guest who will not leave.

In all my years around Washington as an observer and as a member of several administrations, I have rarely witnessed an event as bizarre as President Bush's farewell press conference yesterday.

It reminded me of Richard Nixon's November 17, 1973, question and answer session before 400 Associated Press managing editors at the height of the Watergate scandal, in which he declared: "People have got to know whether or not their president is a crook. Well, I'm not a crook."

Well, to the best of my knowledge, Nixon wasn't a crook (in the technical sense). He was dishonest, he abused the office of the presidency, and telling the truth wasn't his strong suit. And he resigned in disgrace and would have been impeached if he hadn't. But there were also periods in his presidency that were very good for this country and the world.

President Bush is not a crook either. And even more importantly, I don't believe he is dishonest or an incompetent. The mistakes of his presidency were caused by overconfidence, bad information or a certain arrogance that was still fully on display yesterday.

How can you reflect on going to war, a war of choice, and argue that "not finding weapons of mass destruction was a significant disappointment," as President Bush did yesterday? And putting the "not finding the weapons" in the same breath as "We shouldn't have hung the sign, 'Mission Accomplished' "!

A disappointment is when you're a football fan and your team lost in the playoffs or in the national championship game. Eliminating weapons of mass destruction was the rationale for sending hundreds of thousands of men and women to Iraq to risk their lives and spending billions of dollars of American taxpayers' money. Find out how some readers described their "boiling anger" over Bush's legacy

The rationale for the war wasn't that Saddam Hussein was a bad guy -- which he was -- and that he violated every sanction and agreement that the United Nations put on him.

President Bush went on to say: "One thing about the presidency is that you can only make decisions based on the information at hand. You don't get to have information after you make the decision -- that's not the way it works."

That is correct and that may be the most important lesson our new president can learn from the failures of the last. Make sure you get the information to make the right decisions.

President Bush, referring to the Abu Ghraib scandal and the missing weapons of mass destruction, said, "I don't know if you want to call those mistakes or not, but things didn't go as planned, let's put it that way."

The lesson for President-elect Obama is often things don't go as planned.

Last week four men who have been president had lunch in the White House with the newly elected president. As I looked at the picture of the five members of the most exclusive club in the world standing in the Oval Office, I felt sad.

Two of the men, Jimmy Carter and George H.W. Bush, now in their 80s, had been overwhelmingly defeated in their bids for re-election. President Clinton and President Bush, both in their 60s, had periods of great failure.

President Clinton was impeached. The present president leaves office with the lowest approval ratings in modern history. None of these were bad men -- just the opposite.

Why did their presidencies not live up to those high expectations that we all have for our new leaders on Inauguration Day?

In some cases, they fought their natural allies. President Carter was particularly inept at dealing with Congress; so was the current President Bush. Carter and the two Bushes failed at communicating with the public and were unable to articulate what their programs were and build support for them in Congress. Clinton, a good communicator, was terribly undisciplined.

President Obama will need to set his priorities early. He can't do all he's promised in the first term. He needs to build strong relationships with the Congress and let them play a big role in setting his agenda.

He needs to use his tremendous communication skills and continually explain to the country what he wants to do and why. Then he needs to take his campaign machine and motivate the grassroots organization he built to get Congress to support his programs. He must be patient but persistent in making his case.

As we hope for the change which is coming next week, I just want to pause and reflect and say to President Bush, "Thank you, for serving your country." To our new president: Best of luck and you have our prayers.

The opinions expressed in this commentary are solely those of Ed Rollins.
"There are plenty of good reasons for fighting, but no good reason ever to hate without reservation, to imagine that God almighty Himself hates with you, too. Where's evil? It's that large part of every man that wants to hate without limit, that wants to hate with God on its side." - Kurt Vonnegut

Offline ex-ed

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 13, 2009, 07:40:36 PM »
Well said, Mr. Rollins.
"Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come!"

Offline matrsnot

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 13, 2009, 07:49:38 PM »
Have to agree.  Very Well Said.  Two exceptions:  Tarnished Presidency?  African-American President?  I have seen little to no tarnish on Bush.  Obama is a bi-racial person.  Either he is American or he is African.  Which is it?  No hyphenated Americans in the WH please.  Overall the premise is excellent though.  Covers failures of past Presidents pretty well too.

Offline What_The?

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 13, 2009, 07:57:53 PM »
  Obama is a bi-racial person.  Either he is American or he is African.  Which is it?  No hyphenated Americans in the WH please.  Overall the premise is excellent though.  Covers failures of past Presidents pretty well too.

When were you put in charge of determining what he calls himself or what others call him?

Nazi much?

Afraid of calling him African-American?

What are you afraid of?
"There are plenty of good reasons for fighting, but no good reason ever to hate without reservation, to imagine that God almighty Himself hates with you, too. Where's evil? It's that large part of every man that wants to hate without limit, that wants to hate with God on its side." - Kurt Vonnegut

Offline matrsnot

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 13, 2009, 08:10:24 PM »
Afraid of nothing.  Don't appreciate your Nazi comment either.    Being an American and not a hyphenated American goes way Back in our history.  First commented on By Teddy Roosevelt.  I am of Scots-Irish descent.  I call myself an American without comment on my descendants.  So either an American or ?  Who put you in charge of determining my freedom of speech?   it is NOT about race as much as you would like it to be.   :poke:

Offline matrsnot

• View Profile
« Reply #75 on: January 13, 2009, 08:16:01 PM »
One more thing Winston.  Excuse me.  You have obviously mistaken me for someone who gives a damn what your thoughts are.  Your one and only vice is you always like to pull that race card. 

Offline oldcowpoke

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 13, 2009, 08:33:28 PM »
NEW YORK (CNN) -- One week from today, a historic presidency begins and a tarnished presidency ends.
Very well said, and thank you for posting it What_The?

Offline What_The?

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 13, 2009, 11:16:30 PM »
One more thing Winston.  Excuse me.  You have obviously mistaken me for someone who gives a damn what your thoughts are.  Your one and only vice is you always like to pull that race card.

If the shoe fits, wear it.

I keep telling you, stand up and be PROUD of your racism, PROUD of your prejudices, and PROUD of your hatred of people with dark skin tones.

You remind me of the closeted Republicans who fight tooth and nail against gay rights, only to end up tapping your foot in some airport crapper.

Wear that robe proudly and be proud of who you are, or do, whichever the case may be.

Online ereptor.koala

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 13, 2009, 11:59:57 PM »
Semper Fidelis Tyranosaurus

Offline oldcowpoke

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 14, 2009, 12:44:09 AM »

Offline fish

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 14, 2009, 02:55:42 AM »
bubba's was a tarnished presidency. W did his job and more. He kept us safe after 9/11. ya might want to visit the carter presidency to see what a failed presidency really looks like. the economic problems we are having now are nowhere near those of his term. nobama has the chance to make it that way though.

Offline oldcowpoke

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 14, 2009, 04:10:25 AM »
bubba's was a tarnished presidency. W did his job and more. He kept us safe after 9/11. ya might want to visit the carter presidency to see what a failed presidency really looks like. the economic problems we are having now are nowhere near those of his term. nobama has the chance to make it that way though.
Says you.

Offline matrsnot

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 14, 2009, 07:57:59 AM »
My statement stands.  There seems to be only one racist on the board...Winston.  You seem to think Obama is disliked for the color of his skin.  Not true.  His complete lack of demonstrated character is the problem. 

Offline oldcowpoke

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 14, 2009, 08:59:14 AM »
Compared to the goons who have been running the white house for eight years, Obamas character is spotless. When you strive so mightily to find flaws, what else are people to think but that you try to cover up a more embarrassing prejudice? Just saying.

Offline prE4chEr

• Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company
    • View Profile
(\__/)
(o.O )
(> < )  Look into my evil eye. Bunny needs brains.....BRAINS!!!

"All that we see or seem
Is but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe

Offline ex-ed

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 14, 2009, 02:44:31 PM »
Enjoy.

http://www.thedailyshow.com/video/index.jhtml?videoId=215905&title=six-days-seven-nights

Enjoyed it!
    We already know Obama is a better speaker; let's hope he has a bigger heart, is more aware of the potential impact of his decisions, and is more accountable to his electorate.
"Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come!"

Offline shadylane

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 14, 2009, 03:15:25 PM »

Enjoyed it!
    We already know Obama is a better speaker; let's hope he has a bigger heart, is more aware of the potential impact of his decisions, and is more accountable to his electorate.

That's why I voted for him. I was tired of cowboy politicians. Time will tell if I was right or wrong.
"The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?"

Offline shadylane

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 14, 2009, 03:19:41 PM »
Compared to the goons who have been running the white house for eight years, Obamas character is spotless. When you strive so mightily to find flaws, what else are people to think but that you try to cover up a more embarrassing prejudice? Just saying.

An approprite latin term for this is: Argumentum ad hominem
"The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?"

Offline matrsnot

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 14, 2009, 03:22:16 PM »
I suppose one of my biggest problems with Mr. Obama is that each and every time someone disagrees with his policies that person or persons will be held as racists.  That is BS unto itself.  He, like Bush, has already through his voting record, demonstrated his complete disregard and lack of respect for the Constitution of the United States.  I could say the exact same thing about Charles Shumer, Diane Feinstein, Ted Kennedy and John Kerry, to name a few.  So please don't everyone place anyone not caring for him or his policies as a racist.  I tend to disagree with the agenda put forth by the democratic congress in general.  They are fixing to put us all in a bind with restrictions of speech and of course RKBA.  I believe this is just a start and I sincerely hope I am wrong.  Hope I enlightened those of you thinking this is just about Obama.  It is not, but about his entire party in power.

Offline ex-ed

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 14, 2009, 03:34:01 PM »
I suppose one of my biggest problems with Mr. Obama is that each and every time someone disagrees with his policies that person or persons will be held as racists.  That is BS unto itself. 

Agreed, that is BS. ALL OF US need to judge the man on his performance, not on his skin color or hyphenation. So far, we have little to go on -- he ain't The Man yet!