Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • littlebit: Makes sense.
    July 16, 2017, 04:40:28 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Boards will stay open for a place people can find history information longer. I am not allowing anyone to sign up for now because of so many foreginers just wanting to promote their business..
    December 10, 2016, 05:10:27 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Not sure why didn't look, I may be shutting down these message boards..
    November 17, 2016, 12:42:43 AM
  • ~kathy~: rick why is the timestamp showing up a day in advance?
    September 13, 2016, 12:27:46 AM
  • Valor7: What I tried to say is that the actual money would not be there that quick. But a loan against that would work if they are willing to do that.
    August 08, 2016, 01:51:51 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Why so long before it comes online? 911 took out a loan or bond with the known guarantee payment and began building..
    August 08, 2016, 07:46:34 AM
  • Valor7: Actually no it is not, a dependable Revenue stream will not come on line until the 4th quarter of 2017 so 2018 budget will be up in the air, not quite sure what they will have. By 2019 budget all will be well.
    August 04, 2016, 09:27:17 PM
  • Valor7: You mean that tax that the Commissioners would not put on the ballot for so many years? Strange things happened when the citizens got a chance to vote on that issue.
    August 03, 2016, 06:43:06 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Back up is now available withe the new tax..
    August 03, 2016, 05:01:35 PM
  • Valor7: Thanks a lot Ladies!!
    July 29, 2016, 01:16:13 PM
  • littlebit: ((*(*&
    July 27, 2016, 03:47:52 PM
  • ~kathy~: lol
    July 15, 2016, 09:34:56 AM
  • Valor7: A guy could get killed around here while waiting for backup!
    July 13, 2016, 07:31:58 PM
  • Lepard LLC: You are not alone..
    July 13, 2016, 07:28:53 PM
  • Valor7: I just hate it when I talk to myself!!!!
    July 08, 2016, 12:54:09 PM
  • Valor7: I could have worded that better, we talked details, options, the pros and cons of each, in  order to arrive at the best ballot language to present to the voters. Hope that makes this clearer.
    April 15, 2016, 06:36:14 PM
  • Valor7: sorry about the typos still working with just one arm in action
    April 13, 2016, 01:10:42 PM
  • Valor7: Yes and no. We talked details and options until we were blue in the face but I never heardbring it over, it was always the time was not right for the issue to pass. Glad to see the time in now right and I for one shall vote yes on the ballot. I would urge all others to do the sameour county is busting at the seams crimewise and no matter how many bad guys we send off there always seems to someone to replace them. The Sheriff's Office needs the help.
    April 13, 2016, 01:08:35 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Is that true Valor? Did he ask you what you wanted?
    March 01, 2016, 04:55:37 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Gene Newkirk Rick I have waited for a Sheriff to bring it to me on what he wanted. I have pushed Mr long for a while to get it to me. He told me he was close to having or done. Now hopefully the people will get to decide on it. I spoke with Steve about this a few times.
    March 01, 2016, 04:54:54 AM
  • Kimberly: Wow- I have a new name..........
    February 23, 2016, 10:25:15 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Works on mine, improvements are being done here. I may kick back into her a lot and post but working on different technologies right now. Seeing how things interact.
    January 18, 2016, 09:01:20 AM
  • Valor7: Yes it is working. If you need a laugh the wife showed me how to correctly use the silly thing.
    January 04, 2016, 05:32:59 PM
  • Valor7: Think so, mine is trying to work but it is now user and password protected and I dont know mine
    December 17, 2015, 01:32:16 PM
  • "DJ": Is there still a working android app for the PCSD
    December 14, 2015, 08:14:53 PM

Author Topic: who will really be in incharge  (Read 1577 times)

Offline fish

• View Profile
who will really be in incharge
« on: January 17, 2009, 09:50:04 PM »

Share/Bookmark

Fort Wood Hotel

Boards

Devils Elbow

Attractions

Sports

St. Robert

Waynesville

PC Daily

Dixon

Menu Guide

Fun Links

Homework

Crocker

Fort Wood

Swedeborg

Big Piney

Laquey

Classifieds

Restaurants

Richland

Fort  Hotels

Speaker Pelosi: ready to battle Obama

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi has initiated a series of moves aimed to tighten her grip on Congress. In the process, she’s agitated the President-elect, her colleagues, and of course, House Republicans.

She’s making clear that as popular as Barack Obama remains (83% approval rating); she could care less about Congress’s dismal approval rating (20%). She will rule with an iron fist, so it appears.
Her first step was to silence House Republicans.
She ended six-year term limits for Committee chairs and further restrict the opportunity for all members to offer alternative legislation.
House Republicans were furious.
In a letter to the Speaker, several Republican Congressional leaders wrote “changing the House rules in the manner highlighted by recent media reports would have the opposite effect: further breaching the trust between our nation’s elected representatives, and the men and women who send them to Washington to serve their interests and protect their freedom.”
Then, as congressional Democrats take the lead in responding to the sinking economy, Pelosi’s own subcommittee and even some full-committee chairmen — who normally wield significant influence in writing legislation — have been forced to wait on the sidelines as monumental bills are written in Speaker Nancy Pelosi’s office.
Many frustrated Democrats, while sensitive to the need to enact these bills quickly, feel like they’ve been frozen out of the process.
“I and others have brought this up in caucus meetings,” said Rep. Alcee Hastings (Fla.), the third-ranking Democrat on the Rules Committee.
Finally, the President-elect is feeling the heat from the Speaker who’s demanding that Obama make good on his promise to tax the wealthy as part of his emergency stimulus plan.
He’s indicated that he wants the opposite – Obama wants to postpone the tax increases, and instead pass tax decreases, $350 billion worth. He tried to scare Congress into acting quickly but there’s still no measure to act on.
Madame Speaker is playing political hardball.
While the President-elect is dining with conservative journalists in a spirit of non-partisanship, Speaker Pelosi is doing her best to thicken the partisan battle lines.
For now, while the Republican Party remains in disarray, President-elect Obama will find his chief adversaries are in his own party.  With the House Speaker a primary obstacle to any meaningful change in Washington.

http://www.examiner.com/x-431-SF-Politics-Examiner~y2009m1d16-Speaker-Pelosi-ready-to-battle-Obama

maybe another tip o'neil?

Offline David Day

• View Profile
Re: who will really be in incharge
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2009, 10:54:51 PM »
I sat in meeting/meal a few years ago that several of the past MO Speaker of the House members were at.  I will never forget past Speaker Bob Griffin (D) saying that the worst thing he ever had to deal with as the Democrat Speaker was when a Democrat Governor was elected.  He talked about how hard it was to keep the majority party together and working in the same direction.  The same thing is true in DC with the House Speaker and President being the same party.

The Speaker has to worry about the Governor/President taking control of their House if they are the same party because the Gov/Pres will had out "goodies" to the House members for favors...when they are not the same party "goodies" are seldom handed out, if ever.  The Gov/Pres can go around the Speaker much easier in the House and if they get enough power there, the Speaker has no power in dealing with the higher office.

A funny and fun political thing to watch, we just finished that experience in MO with our party, (although it was not that much of an issue because of who was involved).  Before someone starts thinking I am talking bad about Pres. Elect Obama or Speaker Polosi, this is true in most state governments (those set up like ours) and in DC and is true of both parties.  Happens almost every time and is MUCH more of a war than between parties, you just seldom see much of it.

Love politics!!!!

Dave
Political Website:  www.StateRepDay.com
Back Roads Recording:  www.backroadsrecording.com
Band Website:  www.MFNband.net
Twitter:  http://twitter.com/RepDay

Offline matrsnot

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2009, 11:05:33 PM »
Perhaps she will be successful in destroying her own party from within.  With such a low approval rating for the Congress, I think she will.  that should be enjoyable to watch.  Blocking out the Republicans so as to make them nonexistent is politics in the democratic party.   Blocking out her own party is something else again.  Waiting to see what these "monumental" bills will consist of.

Offline David Day

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2009, 11:13:36 PM »
For the most part it happened with the last Republican Congress and lack of leadership in the last Republican Senate...and yea very well could again.  If this Democrat Congress wanted to improve their numbers all they would have to do is elect a moderate Democrat as Speaker, someone LIKE a Liberman.  Go ahead with their liberal agenda (no I don't like that) and use the moderate as the spokesperson.  People would relate to that better and the liberals would for the most part get what they want with less of a fight.

My opinion is, most of American is not ultra liberal or ultra conservative, more in the middle.  However the Democrats have some of their most liberal in power, not a reflection of America but what the money part of the party wants, the NE part of the party.  That is their choice and I am not knocking them for it...they are in power and have the right to do whatever, I just think they could accomplish more with less of a fight if someone other than Speaker Polosi were at the mic each day.  Guess if I am right I should hope they are not reading this.

JMO...not looking for some argument...too tired for that.

Dave

Offline matrsnot

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2009, 11:17:19 PM »
Me either Dave.  Just putting thoughts out there.  Can the House have a new election for Speaker without her consent?

Offline David Day

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2009, 11:20:49 PM »
My understand (not positive of this) is the U.S. House and ours is set up the same (we are modeled after them).  We can call a caucus meeting anytime with or without the Speaker and yes, we can remove/change leadership anytime we want.  Of course you would count the votes and give them a chance to step down first (for personal reasons) but yes new Speakers, Speaker Pro-Tems, Whips, etc... can be changed whenever a majority of the caucus wants it changed.  Simple matter of an election in the caucus.

Dave

Offline matrsnot

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2009, 11:30:28 PM »

at least the Representatives do have a choice then.  That is a good thing.

Offline darrellmaurina

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2009, 12:17:39 AM »
Me either Dave.  Just putting thoughts out there.  Can the House have a new election for Speaker without her consent?

I think Matrsnot and Rep. Day may be misunderstanding each other.

Technically, the Speaker of the House at the federal level and in most states is elected by the full House of Representatives, not just the majority party. That's not the same as the majority leader, majority whip, minority leader, minority whip, and other party-specific offices, which are elected by rather than just nominated by their party's caucus.

Now in the real world, whoever the majority party caucus nominates is elected Speaker of the House -- most of the time. So the vote in the majority caucus is what really counts, not the rubber-stamp vote in the full House. Even if a member of the majority votes the other way in protest, it usually makes no difference. Too many things are at stake, such as control of committee chairmanships and the legislative agenda, for a serious groundswell of opposition within the majority party to arise and have the minority candidate win the speakership.

But there have been rare exceptions. One of them happened a few years ago in California when the majority switched in the lower house, which was then divided by only a single vote, and the Speaker from the previous year managed to get a member of the majority party to switch sides and vote to keep him in office instead of a candidate from the majority party. I don't remember what happened after that, but I'm sure things went REALLY badly for that member in the majority caucus, tempered by the knowledge that the person could switch parties and throw control back to the other side.

So yes, theoretically the House of Representatives could vote to get rid of Speaker Pelosi if enough Democrats got angry enough to unite with the Republicans to throw her out. But in the real world, that will never happen today with the House being so strongly under Democratic control. Even years ago, the old "Yellow Dog Democrat" Southerners who often crossed party lines to vote for Republican issues in the 1960s, 1970s and 1980s faithfully voted for very liberal Northern Democratic Speakers they strongly disliked, such as Tip O'Neill, because conservative Southern Democrats would then be given chairmanships of important committees by the Speaker to keep them somewhat under control.
Darrell Todd Maurina
Check out the Pulaski County Daily News online newspaper at
http://www.pulaskicountyweb.com
Cell: (573) 433.6733 * FAX: (573) 774-2349
Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/darrellmaurina/
Follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/darrellmaurina/

Offline matrsnot

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2009, 12:23:49 AM »
Thanks for the clarification Darrell.  Just seems to me the wicked witch of the west is way too far to the left and will cause more problems than she will solve.

Offline David Day

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2009, 12:27:47 AM »
Darrell is correct...I was just dealing with the real world.  Yes, the whole House elects the Speaker but it is the majority party that REALLY elects the Speaker.  Once the race is over within the party, they unite and keep control of the House by supporting the winner of the caucus election.  An overthrow won't happen unless it is within the majority party itself, (although the threat of it comes up now and then) because the members of the majority party eventually remember that if they split like that...the minority party will win.