Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • littlebit: Makes sense.
    July 16, 2017, 04:40:28 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Boards will stay open for a place people can find history information longer. I am not allowing anyone to sign up for now because of so many foreginers just wanting to promote their business..
    December 10, 2016, 05:10:27 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Not sure why didn't look, I may be shutting down these message boards..
    November 17, 2016, 12:42:43 AM
  • ~kathy~: rick why is the timestamp showing up a day in advance?
    September 13, 2016, 12:27:46 AM
  • Valor7: What I tried to say is that the actual money would not be there that quick. But a loan against that would work if they are willing to do that.
    August 08, 2016, 01:51:51 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Why so long before it comes online? 911 took out a loan or bond with the known guarantee payment and began building..
    August 08, 2016, 07:46:34 AM
  • Valor7: Actually no it is not, a dependable Revenue stream will not come on line until the 4th quarter of 2017 so 2018 budget will be up in the air, not quite sure what they will have. By 2019 budget all will be well.
    August 04, 2016, 09:27:17 PM
  • Valor7: You mean that tax that the Commissioners would not put on the ballot for so many years? Strange things happened when the citizens got a chance to vote on that issue.
    August 03, 2016, 06:43:06 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Back up is now available withe the new tax..
    August 03, 2016, 05:01:35 PM
  • Valor7: Thanks a lot Ladies!!
    July 29, 2016, 01:16:13 PM
  • littlebit: ((*(*&
    July 27, 2016, 03:47:52 PM
  • ~kathy~: lol
    July 15, 2016, 09:34:56 AM
  • Valor7: A guy could get killed around here while waiting for backup!
    July 13, 2016, 07:31:58 PM
  • Lepard LLC: You are not alone..
    July 13, 2016, 07:28:53 PM
  • Valor7: I just hate it when I talk to myself!!!!
    July 08, 2016, 12:54:09 PM
  • Valor7: I could have worded that better, we talked details, options, the pros and cons of each, in  order to arrive at the best ballot language to present to the voters. Hope that makes this clearer.
    April 15, 2016, 06:36:14 PM
  • Valor7: sorry about the typos still working with just one arm in action
    April 13, 2016, 01:10:42 PM
  • Valor7: Yes and no. We talked details and options until we were blue in the face but I never heardbring it over, it was always the time was not right for the issue to pass. Glad to see the time in now right and I for one shall vote yes on the ballot. I would urge all others to do the sameour county is busting at the seams crimewise and no matter how many bad guys we send off there always seems to someone to replace them. The Sheriff's Office needs the help.
    April 13, 2016, 01:08:35 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Is that true Valor? Did he ask you what you wanted?
    March 01, 2016, 04:55:37 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Gene Newkirk Rick I have waited for a Sheriff to bring it to me on what he wanted. I have pushed Mr long for a while to get it to me. He told me he was close to having or done. Now hopefully the people will get to decide on it. I spoke with Steve about this a few times.
    March 01, 2016, 04:54:54 AM
  • Kimberly: Wow- I have a new name..........
    February 23, 2016, 10:25:15 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Works on mine, improvements are being done here. I may kick back into her a lot and post but working on different technologies right now. Seeing how things interact.
    January 18, 2016, 09:01:20 AM
  • Valor7: Yes it is working. If you need a laugh the wife showed me how to correctly use the silly thing.
    January 04, 2016, 05:32:59 PM
  • Valor7: Think so, mine is trying to work but it is now user and password protected and I dont know mine
    December 17, 2015, 01:32:16 PM
  • "DJ": Is there still a working android app for the PCSD
    December 14, 2015, 08:14:53 PM

Author Topic: a new ally against al queda  (Read 717 times)

Offline fish

• View Profile
a new ally against al queda
« on: January 19, 2009, 03:37:24 AM »

Share/Bookmark

Fort Wood Hotel

Boards

Devils Elbow

Attractions

Sports

St. Robert

Waynesville

PC Daily

Dixon

Menu Guide

Fun Links

Homework

Crocker

Fort Wood

Swedeborg

Big Piney

Laquey

Classifieds

Restaurants

Richland

Fort  Hotels

Deadliest weapon so far... the plague
The Sun ^| 1/19/09 | ALEX WEST

ANTI-TERROR bosses last night hailed their latest ally in the war on terror — the BLACK DEATH.  At least 40 al-Qaeda fanatics died horribly after being struck down with the disease that devastated Europe in the Middle Ages.  The killer bug, also known as the plague, swept through insurgents training at a forest camp in Algeria, North Africa. It came to light when security forces found a body by a roadside.  The victim was a terrorist in AQLIM (al-Qaeda in the Land of the Islamic Maghreb), the largest and most powerful al-Qaeda group outside the Middle East.  It trains Muslim fighters to kill British and US troops.  Now al-Qaeda chiefs fear the plague has been passed to other terror cells — or Taliban fighters in Afghanistan.  One security source said: “This is the deadliest weapon yet in the war against terror. Most of the terrorists do not have the basic medical supplies needed to treat the disease.  “It spreads quickly and kills within hours. This will be really worrying al-Qaeda.”  Black Death comes in various forms.  Bubonic Plague is spread by bites from infected rat fleas. Symptoms include boils in the groin, neck and armpits. In Pneumonic Plague, airborn bacteria spread like flu.  It can be in the body for more than a week — highly contagious but not revealing tell-tale symptoms.  The al-Qaeda epidemic began in the cave hideouts of AQLIM in Tizi Ouzou province, 150km east of the capital Algiers. The group, led by wanted terror boss Abdelmalek Droudkal, was forced to turn its shelters in the Yakouren forest into mass graves and flee.  The extremists supporting madman Osama bin Laden went to Bejaia and Jijel provinces — hoping the plague did not go with them.  A source said: “The emirs (leaders) fear surviving terrorists will surrender to escape a horrible death.”  AQLIM boss Droudkal claims to command around 1,000 insurgents. Training camps are also based in Morocco, Tunisia and Nigeria.  AQLIM bombed the UN headquarters in Algiers in 2007, killing 41. Attacks across Algeria last year killed at least 70 people.  In an interview last July, Droudkal boasted his cell was in constant contact with other al-Qaeda “brothers”.

Offline kari

• Always looking in.....
    • View Profile
Re: a new ally against al queda
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2009, 06:04:38 AM »
This could be their new weapon against us..... Many people, especially those without health care, wait to seek medical care, and thus the transmission rate could reach epidemic proportions rather fast here in the US.  Just one with it on an airplane......
Proud to have served, US Army, WAC

Offline contemplating

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2009, 05:31:35 PM »
"In order to be a leader of men, a man has to receive an education in his own country, among his own people, and to grow up in surroundings steeped with the traditions and psychology of his countrymen.  Not only did Western education not fulfill that condition, but it tended to wean a young man from the traditions and customs of his country."

King Abdulaziz ibn Saud...circa 1930
Cited by Ronald Lacey in "The Kingdom:  Arabia and the House of Saud"

Offline fish

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2009, 02:51:03 AM »
I wonder if this may be related?

Al-Qaida's Threat Is Still With Us
By INVESTOR'S BUSINESS DAILY | Posted Tuesday, January 20, 2009 4:20 PM PT

War On Terror: President Obama steps into office with awesome responsibilities, not least of which is protecting the U.S. from its enemies, foreign and domestic. From Algeria, we get a reminder of how tough that job is.

For those who think the global war on terror is just a bad memory from the Bush administration, you might be surprised to discover it isn't. The threat is real — even more so, given that so many people are convinced it no longer exists.

An overlooked news item out of Algeria puts to rest that notion. The report says that an al-Qaida affiliate there abruptly closed a mountain training base after an experiment with biological weapons went wrong.

A U.S. intelligence official, speaking on condition he not be named, confirmed the accident that led to a shutdown of the training facility in Tizi Ouzou, a province in eastern Algeria.

He said the U.S. intercepted desperate communications between the group and al-Qaida leaders in Pakistan's tribal region earlier this month suggesting that the camp had been quickly abandoned.

A report by the Sun, a British tabloid, said at least 40 operatives belonging to al-Qaida in the Land of the Maghreb (AQLIM), an al-Qaida affiliate in North Africa, were killed in a training accident.

From the sound of it, they were likely killed by a strain of the bubonic plague — the deadly rat-borne bacterial disease that ravaged much of the world in the 13th and 14th century, wiping out fully a third of Europe's population. An airborne version, pneumonic plague, is equally deadly.

The details are horrific. The Algerian victims were said to be afflicted with horrible boils in different parts of their bodies, dying in excruciating pain after just a few hours. It's an awful way to die.

Since AQLIM boasts of 1,000 members in Morocco, Algeria, Tunisia and Nigeria, the loss of 40 terrorists will barely scratch the surface of their membership.

What worries us is that if the "accident" was part of a wider program to create a deadly bioweapon to be used against civilians — possibly in the U.S. or Europe — then we are in serious danger.

For seven years now, Americans have been safe. After 9/11, former President Bush rocked the terrorists on their heels by pursuing them wherever they were.

Osama bin Laden has been reduced to wheezing out badly recorded threats to the U.S. from his hideout in Pakistan's badlands, possibly a cave. Other al-Qaida terrorist affiliates have scattered across the region, living in fear of being given up for a reward.

The U.S. military, at Bush's behest, has put relentless and merciless pressure on the terrorists. U.S. killer drones prowl the skies over terrorist safe havens, looking for targets and, with Hellfire missiles, often finding them.

At least six senior al-Qaida leaders have been killed in just the last six months. As the indispensable Web site Stratfor has noted, Pakistan has become "the al-Qaida version of hell."

This explains in large part why we haven't suffered a second hor-rific terrorist strike since 9/11. But the accident in Algeria likewise suggests that we can never let down our guard.

A bioweapon loosed on a major population center is a terrifying prospect. The last plague outbreak in London in 1665 killed more than 30,000 people in a city much smaller than the one today.

Al-Qaida doesn't lack the will to do this, just the means.

Developing a biological or chemical weapon is "something that al-Qaida still aspires to do," a former National Security Council counterterrorism expert, Roger Cressey, told the Washington Times.

President Obama, to his credit, has vowed to support sending 30,000 additional troops to Afghanistan to help win the war against the Taliban on the ground and continue to defeat al-Qaida. But will he continue to fight the broader war against terrorism?

We hope so. If his inaugural address is any indication, he just might. Obama pointedly noted that "our nation is at war against a far-reaching network of violence and hatred" — a clear reference to al-Qaida and the threat it still poses.

While campaigning, Obama called for all troops to be pulled from Iraq by the end of 2008, and for Guantanamo to be shut immediately. Since winning the presidency, he's backtracked on both pledges.

That shows flexibility and wisdom. He'll need both, since the U.S. faces a terrorist threat that will take advantage of our inattention or our weakness to kill as many of us as possible, without remorse.
http://www.ibdeditorials.com/IBDArticles.aspx?id=317348148353832