Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • littlebit: Makes sense.
    July 16, 2017, 04:40:28 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Boards will stay open for a place people can find history information longer. I am not allowing anyone to sign up for now because of so many foreginers just wanting to promote their business..
    December 10, 2016, 05:10:27 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Not sure why didn't look, I may be shutting down these message boards..
    November 17, 2016, 12:42:43 AM
  • ~kathy~: rick why is the timestamp showing up a day in advance?
    September 13, 2016, 12:27:46 AM
  • Valor7: What I tried to say is that the actual money would not be there that quick. But a loan against that would work if they are willing to do that.
    August 08, 2016, 01:51:51 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Why so long before it comes online? 911 took out a loan or bond with the known guarantee payment and began building..
    August 08, 2016, 07:46:34 AM
  • Valor7: Actually no it is not, a dependable Revenue stream will not come on line until the 4th quarter of 2017 so 2018 budget will be up in the air, not quite sure what they will have. By 2019 budget all will be well.
    August 04, 2016, 09:27:17 PM
  • Valor7: You mean that tax that the Commissioners would not put on the ballot for so many years? Strange things happened when the citizens got a chance to vote on that issue.
    August 03, 2016, 06:43:06 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Back up is now available withe the new tax..
    August 03, 2016, 05:01:35 PM
  • Valor7: Thanks a lot Ladies!!
    July 29, 2016, 01:16:13 PM
  • littlebit: ((*(*&
    July 27, 2016, 03:47:52 PM
  • ~kathy~: lol
    July 15, 2016, 09:34:56 AM
  • Valor7: A guy could get killed around here while waiting for backup!
    July 13, 2016, 07:31:58 PM
  • Lepard LLC: You are not alone..
    July 13, 2016, 07:28:53 PM
  • Valor7: I just hate it when I talk to myself!!!!
    July 08, 2016, 12:54:09 PM
  • Valor7: I could have worded that better, we talked details, options, the pros and cons of each, in  order to arrive at the best ballot language to present to the voters. Hope that makes this clearer.
    April 15, 2016, 06:36:14 PM
  • Valor7: sorry about the typos still working with just one arm in action
    April 13, 2016, 01:10:42 PM
  • Valor7: Yes and no. We talked details and options until we were blue in the face but I never heardbring it over, it was always the time was not right for the issue to pass. Glad to see the time in now right and I for one shall vote yes on the ballot. I would urge all others to do the sameour county is busting at the seams crimewise and no matter how many bad guys we send off there always seems to someone to replace them. The Sheriff's Office needs the help.
    April 13, 2016, 01:08:35 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Is that true Valor? Did he ask you what you wanted?
    March 01, 2016, 04:55:37 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Gene Newkirk Rick I have waited for a Sheriff to bring it to me on what he wanted. I have pushed Mr long for a while to get it to me. He told me he was close to having or done. Now hopefully the people will get to decide on it. I spoke with Steve about this a few times.
    March 01, 2016, 04:54:54 AM
  • Kimberly: Wow- I have a new name..........
    February 23, 2016, 10:25:15 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Works on mine, improvements are being done here. I may kick back into her a lot and post but working on different technologies right now. Seeing how things interact.
    January 18, 2016, 09:01:20 AM
  • Valor7: Yes it is working. If you need a laugh the wife showed me how to correctly use the silly thing.
    January 04, 2016, 05:32:59 PM
  • Valor7: Think so, mine is trying to work but it is now user and password protected and I dont know mine
    December 17, 2015, 01:32:16 PM
  • "DJ": Is there still a working android app for the PCSD
    December 14, 2015, 08:14:53 PM

Author Topic: Questions for Atheists  (Read 23375 times)

Offline mark

• http://www.gayalpinesurvival.com/
  • Proud Father
    • View Profile
Re: Questions for Atheists
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2014, 01:46:55 PM »

Share/Bookmark

Fort Wood Hotel

Boards

Devils Elbow

Attractions

Sports

St. Robert

Waynesville

PC Daily

Dixon

Menu Guide

Fun Links

Homework

Crocker

Fort Wood

Swedeborg

Big Piney

Laquey

Classifieds

Restaurants

Richland

Fort  Hotels

If having religion in control is such a good idea.
Were are the good examples?
"Religion" can be really bad! The all time worst religion is the religion of atheism! A good example would be "Christianity"! The Resurrection alone proves this one to be correct!
We are not human beings having a spiritual experience.
We are spiritual beings having a human experience.
~Teilhard de Chardin

Offline fish

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2014, 04:49:33 PM »
name which religions want to control governments, armies, militias and terrorist organizations

Offline ebilly99

• Go to your profile and put something here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2014, 10:18:35 PM »
name which religions want to control governments, armies, militias and terrorist organizations
What is American Christians Trebek. Redundant Questions for 400

Offline fish

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2014, 01:18:36 AM »
prove it.

Offline ebilly99

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2014, 03:10:42 AM »
prove it.
56 percent Protstant
30 percent Catholic
3 percent Mormons.
89 percent christians
Government is christian.(http://www.pewforum.org/2012/11/16/faith-on-the-hill-the-religious-composition-of-the-113th-congress/)

87 percent of those seeking to become chaplains are enrolled at evangelical divinity schools.... Military.
(http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/01/12/evangelical-christianity-_n_807635.html)

The center also reports a steady rise in the number of hate groups in America — from 604 in 2000, to more than 1,000 last year. Those include anti-gay groups, anti-Muslim groups, black separatists and “Christian Identity” groups, which hold racist and anti-Semitic views that overlap with neo-Nazi beliefs... Militias, though to be honest that is hard to define.
(http://thegrio.com/2012/03/08/officials-see-rise-in-militia-groups-across-us/)

2. The murder of Dr. George Tiller, May 31, 2009. Imagine that a physician had been the victim of an attempted assassination by an Islamic jihadist in 1993, and received numerous death threats from al-Qaeda after that, before being murdered by an al-Qaeda member. Neocons, Fox News and the Christian Right would have had a field day. A physician was the victim of a terrorist killing that day, but neither the terrorist nor the people who inflamed the terrorist were Muslims. Dr. George Tiller, who was shot and killed by anti-abortion terrorist Scott Roeder on May 31, 2009, was a victim of Christian Right terrorism, not al-Qaeda.

Tiller had a long history of being targeted for violence by Christian Right terrorists. In 1986, his clinic was firebombed. Then, in 1993, Tiller was shot five times by female Christian Right terrorist Shelly Shannon (now serving time in a federal prison) but survived that attack. Given that Tiller had been the victim of an attempted murder and received countless death threats after that, Fox News would have done well to avoid fanning the flames of unrest. Instead, Bill O’Reilly repeatedly referred to him as “Tiller the baby killer." When Roeder murdered Tiller, O’Reilly condemned the attack but did so in a way that was lukewarm at best.

Keith Olbermann called O’Reilly out and denounced him as a “facilitator for domestic terrorism” and a “blindly irresponsible man.” And Crazy for Godauthor Frank Schaffer, who was formerly a figure on the Christian Right but has since become critical of that movement, asserted that the Christian Right’s extreme anti-abortion rhetoric “helped create the climate that made this murder likely to happen.” Neocon Ann Coulter, meanwhile, viewed Tiller’s murder as a source of comic relief, telling O’Reilly, “I don't really like to think of it as a murder. It was terminating Tiller in the 203rd trimester.” The Republican/neocon double standard when it comes to terrorism is obvious. At Fox News and AM neocon talk radio, Islamic terrorism is a source of nonstop fear-mongering, while Christian Right terrorism gets a pass.

3. Knoxville Unitarian Universalist Church shooting, July 27, 2008. On July 27, 2008, Christian Right sympathizer Jim David Adkisson walked into the Knoxville Unitarian Universalist Church in Knoxville, Tennessee during a children’s play and began shooting people at random. Two were killed, while seven others were injured but survived. Adkisson said he was motivated by a hatred of liberals, Democrats and gays, and he considered neocon Bernard Goldberg’s book, 100 People Who Are Screwing Up America, his political manifesto. Adkisson (who pleaded guilty to two counts of first-degree murder and is now serving life in prison without parole) was vehemently anti-abortion, but apparently committing an act of terrorism during a children’s play was good ol’ Republican family values. While Adkisson’s act of terrorism was reported on Fox News, it didn't get the round-the-clock coverage an act of Islamic terrorism would have garnered.

4. The murder of Dr. John Britton, July 29, 1994. To hear the Christian Right tell it, there is no such thing as Christian terrorism. Tell that to the victims of the Army of God, a loose network of radical Christianists with a long history of terrorist attacks on abortion providers. One Christian Right terrorist with ties to the Army of God was Paul Jennings Hill, who was executed by lethal injection on Sept. 3, 2003 for the murders of abortion doctor John Britton and his bodyguard James Barrett. Hill shot both of them in cold blood and expressed no remorse whatsoever; he insisted he was doing’s God’s work and has been exalted as a martyr by the Army of God.

5. The Centennial Olympic Park bombing, July 27, 1996. Paul Jennings Hill is hardly the only Christian terrorist who has been praised by the Army of God; that organization has also praised Eric Rudolph, who is serving life without parole for a long list of terrorist attacks committed in the name of Christianity. Rudolph is best known for carrying out the Olympic Park bombing in Atlanta during the 1996 Summer Olympics—a blast that killed spectator Alice Hawthorne and wounded 111 others. Hawthorne wasn’t the only person Rudolph murdered: his bombing of an abortion clinic in Birmingham, Alabama in 1998 caused the death of Robert Sanderson (a Birmingham police officer and part-time security guard) and caused nurse Emily Lyons to lose an eye.

Rudolph’s other acts of Christian terrorism include bombing the Otherwise Lounge (a lesbian bar in Atlanta) in 1997 and an abortion clinic in an Atlanta suburb in 1997. Rudolph was no lone wolf: he was part of a terrorist movement that encouraged his violence. And the Army of God continues to exalt Rudolph as a brave Christian who is doing God’s work.

6. The murder of Barnett Slepian byJames Charles Kopp, Oct. 23, 1998. Like Paul Jennings Hill, Eric Rudolph and Scott Roeder, James Charles Kopp is a radical Christian terrorist who has been exalted as a hero by the Army of God. On Oct. 23, 1998 Kopp fired a single shot into the Amherst, NY home of Barnett Slepian (a doctor who performed abortions), mortally wounding him. Slepian died an hour later. Kopp later claimed he only meant to wound Slepian, not kill him. But Judge Michael D'Amico of Erin County, NY said that the killing was clearly premeditated and sentenced Kopp to 25 years to life. Kopp is a suspect in other anti-abortion terrorist attacks, including the non-fatal shootings of three doctors in Canada, though it appears unlikely that Kopp will be extradited to Canada to face any charges.

7. Planned Parenthood bombing, Brookline, Massachusetts, 1994. Seldom has the term “Christian terrorist” been used in connection with John C. Salvi on AM talk radio or at Fox News, but it’s a term that easily applies to him. In 1994, the radical anti-abortionist and Army of God member attacked a Planned Parenthood clinic in Brookline, Massachusetts, shooting and killing receptionists Shannon Lowney and Lee Ann Nichols and wounding several others. Salvi was found dead in his prison cell in 1996, and his death was ruled a suicide. The Army of God has exalted Salvi as a Christian martyr and described Lowney and Nichols not as victims of domestic terrorism, but as infidels who got what they deserved. The Rev. Donald Spitz, a Christianist and Army of God supporter who is so extreme that even the radical anti-abortion group Operation Rescue disassociated itself from him, has praised Salvi as well.

8. Suicide attack on IRS building in Austin, Texas, Feb. 18, 2010. When Joseph Stack flew a plane into the Echelon office complex (where an IRS office was located), Fox News’ coverage of the incident was calm and matter-of-fact. Republican Rep. Steve King of Iowa seemed to find the attack amusing and joked that it could have been avoided if the federal government had followed his advice and abolished the IRS. Nonetheless, there were two fatalities: Stack and IRS employee Vernon Hunter. Stack left behind a rambling suicide note outlining his reasons for the attack, which included a disdain for the IRS as well as total disgust with health insurance companies and bank bailouts. Some of the most insightful coverage of the incident came from Noam Chomsky, who said that while Stack had some legitimate grievances—millions of Americans shared his outrage over bank bailouts and the practices of health insurance companies—the way he expressed them was absolutely wrong.

Yep no christian terrorist org in america.
http://www.alternet.org/tea-party-and-right/10-worst-terror-attacks-extreme-christians-and-far-right-white-men?paging=off&current_page=1#bookmark

Offline fish

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2014, 03:38:37 PM »
this is all you could drudge up in the last 20 yrs????? LOL LOL LOL

killing the drs. killing babies is wrong. the army of god is a group of nuts using God as an excuse to kill. they are no more Christian than the kkk. just because  they say they are Christian does not mean they are.

Matthew 7:16-20

16 Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles?

17 Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit.

18 A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit.

19 Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire.

20 Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them.

maybe read some "recent" news on how the government is trying to get rid of Christianity. start with dadt being repealed. military chaplains were being told they MUST perform false marriage, until enough ruckus was raged and they are no longer forced.

from your link
#1 Christian?
#'s8, 9,10 not people stating they are Christian or try to defend their acts as Christian!
the others are just nuts .

where is the army of god now? no current actions?

maybe read about Christians being( as in today, this yr) killed for their beliefs in Syria, Egypt, iran. Christian beliefs are ridiculed AND being punished in this country. ridicule a muslim in public, see what happens.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2013/06/02/vatican-spokesman-claims-100000-christians-killed-annually-because-faith/

again, so much for wanting to believe in God!

Offline ebilly99

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2014, 04:56:53 PM »
this is all you could drudge up in the last 20 yrs????? LOL LOL LOL
More, you want more. How about the Westboro baptist church.

killing the drs. killing babies is wrong. the army of god is a group of nuts using God as an excuse to kill. they are no more Christian than the kkk. just because  they say they are Christian does not mean they are.
So who judges if they are christian or not, you?

Matthew 7:16-20

16 Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles?

17 Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit.

18 A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit.

19 Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire.

20 Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them.

Would you say you are a christian. Many would say they have chocked on more of your thorns then tasted any fruit. 

maybe read some "recent" news on how the government is trying to get rid of Christianity. start with dadt being repealed. military chaplains were being told they MUST perform false marriage, until enough ruckus was raged and they are no longer forced.
Stoping christianity is not the same as promoting equality. Sad you don't have all the power but just most of the power?

from your link
#1 Christian?
#'s8, 9,10 not people stating they are Christian or try to defend their acts as Christian!
the others are just nuts .
Fair, and I did include 8 accidently. However I didn't include 9, 10 or 1 because they were not christian. (However it is hard to separate right wing and christianity.)

where is the army of god now? no current actions?
??? What are you talking about?

maybe read about Christians being( as in today, this yr) killed for their beliefs in Syria, Egypt, iran. Christian beliefs are ridiculed AND being punished in this country. ridicule a muslim in public, see what happens.
Glad that is happening in america and making a valid po... Oh no it isn't and no it doesn't. There are Christian (Oh no, can't be christian though... Scotsman) militias killing muslims as well.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2013/06/02/vatican-spokesman-claims-100000-christians-killed-annually-because-faith/

again, so much for wanting to believe in God!
Not one shred of evidence bro. NOT A SINGLE ONE.

Offline fish

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2014, 10:01:30 PM »
who has the wbc killed? they are annoying, but don't quite fit the description of a terrorist group. they also use Christianity as an excuse to sue people for "violating" their 1st amendment rights. they make their living off of lawsuits.

read matt 7:16-20 again

"Would you say you are a christian.(?) Many would say they have chocked(choked) on more of your thorns then tasted any fruit".
I have stated truth and logic in response to the tone of your posts and others that ridicule my beliefs. I have stated truth from the Gospel that you reject. you don't like the response you get, change your tone. you have stated you want to believe in God. this post suggests otherwise. you have stated before you know the bible inside out. why are you asking questions when you already know the answers? I will not apologize for my statements in response to your posts. you don't like getting splashed with what you are stirring? don't stir it. you say you "want " to believe in God? then do it or shut up. God doesn't like fence sitters

cherry picking a link to prove a point? failed again! LOL LOL LOL

I simply asked where the army of god is now? what have they done lately?

if you don't see it you don't believe it? Typical. google it

http://www.newvision.co.ug/news/655617-sudanese-woman-to-be-killed-for-marrying-a-christian-man.html

what did the boko haram group just do?

http://shoebat.com/2014/04/09/muslims-force-almost-1000-christian-women-convert-islam/

people are being persecuted in this country for being Christian:

http://www.onenewsnow.com/education/2014/04/25/md-college-denies-applicant-not-the-place-for-religion#.U3_E7DYo7cs

you can be a doubting Thomas all you want , but pull your head out and sniff reality.

Offline ebilly99

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 24, 2014, 12:32:12 AM »
who has the wbc killed? they are annoying, but don't quite fit the description of a terrorist group. they also use Christianity as an excuse to sue people for "violating" their 1st amendment rights. they make their living off of lawsuits.
Thinking Terrorist have to use Violence alone. Anyone that spreads terror for political or religious power is a terrorist.

read matt 7:16-20 again

"Would you say you are a christian.(?) Many would say they have chocked(choked) on more of your thorns then tasted any fruit".
I have stated truth and logic in response[/quote]Not even understanding what logic is LOL
to the tone of your posts and others that ridicule my beliefs. I have stated truth from the Gospel that you reject. you don't like the response you get, change your tone. you have stated you want to believe in God. this post suggests otherwise.
You have offered not a single piece of testable evidence.
you have stated before you know the bible inside out. why are you asking questions when you already know the answers? I will not apologize for my statements in response to your posts. you don't like getting splashed with what you are stirring? don't stir it. you say you "want " to believe in God? then do it or shut up. God doesn't like fence sitters
If he didn't like it, he should have made me less critical... (Inb4 I don't even believe in a god herp derp

cherry picking a link to prove a point? failed again! LOL LOL LOL
So how exactly do I prove anything. Prove the link wrong than.

I simply asked where the army of god is now? what have they done lately?
Limit rights to same sex couples, limit rights to atheist. (Unless you would be ok with us putting up billboards :P)

if you don't see it you don't believe it? Typical. google it
I just think that america isn't the world's cop

http://www.newvision.co.ug/news/655617-sudanese-woman-to-be-killed-for-marrying-a-christian-man.html

what did the boko haram group just do?
Something that isn't in america...

http://shoebat.com/2014/04/09/muslims-force-almost-1000-christian-women-convert-islam/
Religion killing religion. Why can't a religion of peace live with a religion of peace.

people are being persecuted in this country for being Christian:

http://www.onenewsnow.com/education/2014/04/25/md-college-denies-applicant-not-the-place-for-religion#.U3_E7DYo7cs
Oh you mean spreading religion in school. Maybe she should have been studing instead.

you can be a doubting Thomas all you want , but pull your head out and sniff reality.
Doubting Thomas, the only one with half a brain. Why will god prove himself than but not know.
I stand by that quote, I will not believe in him until I touch his palm and feel the nail wounds for myself.

Offline fish

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 24, 2014, 02:47:39 AM »
the wbc are terrorists?????LOL LOL LOL LOL

you don't have to be a rocket scientist to "test" the fact God created all. If the only way you will accept the fact God exists and has created all is through a scientific test, you have already missed the boat.  you will never accept the fact God exists and has created all. yet, you do not have the capability to perform or verify tests scientists have conducted and you blindly believe scientific theories are gospel.

I proved the point you were making wrong! LOL LOL LOL

"Limit rights to same sex couples, limit rights to atheist. (Unless you would be ok with us putting up billboards :P)"
what's this have to do with army of god?????????

"I just think that america isn't the world's cop"
can't answer, so put something irrelevant on here?

you believe islam is a religion of peace??????? stooping to delusional again????????????????

maybe read the article next time? Brandon Jenkins is a guy. He simply stated his belief in God. He was not attempting to spread religion in school. read next time so you won't get caught lying....again!

"Doubting Thomas, the only one with half a brain. Why will god(God) prove himself(Himself) than(then) but not know(now).
I stand by that quote, I will not believe in him(Him) until I touch his(His) palm and feel the nail wounds for myself. "

FINALLY, you are showing your true colors! Jesus was on the cross, not God.

you can go back to your life now, of raising the bastard you helped create(and called a mistake). maybe raise some more. you don't have to be held accountable for your actions. after all. if there is no law, there is no sin. If there is no Jesus, is no God. there is no forgiveness.

1 Corinthians 15:32
What do I gain if, humanly speaking, I fought with beasts at Ephesus? If the dead are not raised, “Let us eat and drink, for tomorrow we die.”

Daniel 5
The Writing on the Wall

have at it, you are a lost cause!

Offline fish

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 24, 2014, 02:59:04 AM »
china will take up the slack! LOL LOL

http://www.ucobserver.org/features/2014/02/sleeping_giant/

Offline Lepard LLC

• Activist
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 24, 2014, 03:17:03 AM »
You can't prove God exists, no one can, stop thinking you can. Just makes anyone sound stupid when they claim to know something no one can possibly know, thank GOD you all have some smart representatives, because ones like you are killing it for the cause.

Offline Lepard LLC

• Activist
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 24, 2014, 03:31:29 AM »
Stop using the word proof, you have no more proof than I have that he doesn't exist. People get the death penalty from people who have a low qualification for the word proof.

Offline ebilly99

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 24, 2014, 05:22:11 AM »
china will take up the slack! LOL LOL

http://www.ucobserver.org/features/2014/02/sleeping_giant/
So you are telling me the one place they limit the free flow of education (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/news/international/countriesandterritories/china/internet_censorship/index.html) is actually experincing a growth in christians. So I ask you, is the internet the place religion goes to die?  Wherever information is free to be traded, we see a drop in religion. Where there is enough to eat and prosper, God decreases. Maybe the reason that it is easier for a rich man to go through the eye of the needle then to see heaven is because a rich man is Smart enough to know bullshit when he sees it, And wealthy enough he doesn't have to scavenge through it to survive.
Fish you have asked me why religion is so important, and I have named a few reasons. But the most powerful in hindsight is that religion stops civil debates. "There's no situation where you have a really highly religious nation that's highly successful socially."(http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/apr/29/christian-says-maryland-college-denied-him-admissi/)
You can never agree with anything a non christian wants, no matter how reasonable. And it's not even the agreeing, it's the discussing. Those who are fundamentalist have to be right. Not only to the point where you debate a topic and lie, you attack the individual and accuse them of being unethical and doing the very deeds you do yourself. You become unreasonable.
You will notice that you will never see a debate of the same Caliber as gravity waves over bend in space time as you will Creationist vs Evolution. You won't see that kind of honesty with Homosexual debates. In the end it's god spoken and it makes it a unmovable point for you. I am a free thinker, if you want to debate I will gladly debate... But don't go fundi on me.

Offline mark

• Proud Father
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 24, 2014, 01:18:36 PM »
Is there any scientific proof of God? Before we can discuss the existence of scientific proof of God, we need to identify what we mean by proof. Also, to know what type of evidence supporting the existence of God would be considered by science, we also need to know which definition of science applies. The definition of science has changed within the last century from an overall search for truth to a more limited scope of natural explanations of natural processes. Using the current narrow scope definition, there is not any scientific proof of God. The truth or untruth of this statement is not based upon evidence or lack of evidence, but by definition alone. Even though there is extensive, solid evidence for God’ s existence, none of that evidence would be admissible in the science court of law using the current definition. Consequently, to know what evidence really supports the existence of God, we need to base our statements on the old classic definition of science to eliminate the disqualification of the evidence. The kind of evidence we need to consider is the same type that would be admissible in a court of law. The level of proof is different in a criminal court than a civil court. In a civil court the prosecution only needs to prove that the preponderance of evidence tips the scales in their direction. Alternatively, in a criminal court a higher level of proof is required. The prosecutor needs to provide evidence that proves the defendant is guilty beyond a reasonable doubt. What types of evidence are admissible in courtrooms? These include direct evidence such as fingerprints, DNA, or eyewitness accounts. Also, circumstantial evidence is normally admissible unless it is abnormally weak. Although circumstantial evidence is indirect, it can be powerful evidence to prove guilt or innocence. Scientific Proof of God – The Evidence What evidence exists that could prove the existence or non-existence of God? Does God exist? First, the non-existence of God cannot be proven. One cannot prove a universal negative. Alternatively, the existence of God is provable. The concept, design, and intricate details of our world necessitate an intelligent designer. Both direct and indirect evidence for God’s existence are well known and well documented. Nothing in history is better known or better documented than the birth, life, death, and resurrection of Jesus Christ. We even use the year of His birth as the basis for our calendar. He perfectly matched the over 100 unique Messianic prophecies in the Old Testament regarding His birth, life, death, and resurrection. The laws of probability cannot give us a reasonable explanation for either the Messianic predictions or the resurrection, let alone both by the same person. Jesus’ miracles were witnessed by many and were documented redundantly for additional corroboration. He was seen by at least 500 people after His resurrection. He was seen ascending into heaven. His transfiguration was seen by Peter, James, and John. His wisdom in dealing with many circumstances was astounding. He never promoted Himself or His miracles. C. S. Lewis stated that He couldn’t have just been a good teacher. He was either a liar, lunatic, or Lord. He didn’t even come close to meeting the profile of a liar or lunatic, so He had to be God. Jesus Christ also supported the truth of the Old Testament and quoted it many times. Consequently, with Jesus Christ, we have an eyewitness to the truth of the Old Testament. This gives credibility to the creation account and God’s interaction with man. The entire Old Testament account is about how God is trying to have a relationship with man while man is separating himself from God by sin. It tells how God is long-suffering and merciful and ultimately how God sent His Son to die for our sins so God could ultimately have a relationship with us. God’s interaction with man in the Old Testament was often and powerful. Some of the main interactions included Adam, Cain, Enoch, Noah, Abraham, Jacob, Moses, Joshua, the Israelites, the prophets, and the kings. In addition to Jesus’ testimony to the truth of the Old Testament, ancient manuscripts, archaeology, and internal consistency also testify to its truth. Consequently, much direct evidence including eyewitness accounts and indirect evidence corroborate the existence of God and the truth of the Bible. - See more at: http://www.allaboutcreation.org/scientific-proof-of-god-faq.htm#sthash.iHVQsmvf.dpuf
~Teilhard de Chardin

Offline fish

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 24, 2014, 02:20:03 PM »
show me proof of evolution! show me proof of the big bang! pictures that prove beyond all doubt that evolution is how life started. show me proof of action in the universe.

the bottom line is science can not prove anything. only theories. you only believe what you have read. you have not conducted any experiments. you were not there when the experiments were conducted and still are not present when the experiments are done. does your background equal that of the scientists conducting experiments? how do you know the experiments were done properly? how can you know the results are valid? you only READ, you have not seen! but some won't believe in God or Jesus unless they see Them in person. But they believe in the books they read giving results of experiments they have not seen.

you are putting faith into what cannot be proven. what you yourselves have not seen and don't have the background to validate

I use the bible , nothing else. it makes perfect sense and is proven everyday. there is no other logical explanation for the universe and all that is in it, that there has to be a Creator. It is perfectly logical to believe in God.

scientists have been trying to disprove God for centuries, they have repeatedly failed. scientists have used various theories to explain the origin of the universe. why couldn't they stick to just one?  none have been proven, not one. when one fails another one is made up to replace it.

It all boils down to what you choose to believe in. what will happen when we die? just worm food? why would something so complex as the human, live it's life, die and become worm food? why should we even bother to have laws, a sense of civilization when in the end, we are just worm food.

the creation of life and all that is in it can not be the result of "it just happened". what would be the purpose of life if after death that is it?

why don't we just live in anarchy? we get our morality, sense of purpose from scientists? LOL

some religions may die out, Christianity will not. despite the persecution, believers in God still exist and in some places around the world the numbers will grow of those choosing God.

how many of you non Christians will die for your belief in science? if it came down to not having to choose another belief, but to stop believing in science or die, would you do it?

there are people now that are being killed for their belief in God. they are not being told to believe in something else(except the  muslims are forcing conversion to islam), just stop believing in God.

It all boils down to what you choose to believe in. God's word is not called the truth for no reason. science has never been referred to as the truth!

Offline fish

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 24, 2014, 02:30:14 PM »
people get the death penalty from people that see and hear evidence that proves beyond a reasonable doubt that person did it. I wouldn't call " beyond a reasonable doubt" a low qualification for the word proof.

what should be the standard? if no one saw it, it didn't happen? if no one heard it , it didn't happen? no pictures it didn't or doesn't exist?

at a certain point everyone has to decide what they believe and  why.

Offline ebilly99

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 24, 2014, 04:51:08 PM »
show me proof of evolution! show me proof of the big bang! pictures that prove beyond all doubt that evolution is how life started. show me proof of action in the universe.
And that right there is the problem. You need to admit to everyone that no mater how much evidence is given to you, you won't believe. Not because the evidence does not exist but because you do not want to believe.

the bottom line is science can not prove anything.
But it works, Science can build a better world. No natural explanation has ever been replaced by a supernatural one. However hundreds of supernatural has been replaced by natural.
only theories. you only believe what you have read.
I believe what has been tested and proved. I can watch a scientest create a new breed of flies. You can not provide one piece of evidence for your god.
you have not conducted any experiments.
Not true,
you were not there when the experiments were conducted
Again not true. My teacher did the miller experiment.
and still are not present when the experiments are done. does your background equal that of the scientists conducting experiments? how do you know the experiments were done properly
I can read scientific journals that show step by step how they are done. Also with a thing called the internet I can ask scientific questions in real time.
? how can you know the results are valid?
Because they are tested a multiple amount of times in different labs under heavy observation.
you only READ, you have not seen!
Actually I have. Skype is good for that.
but some won't believe in God or Jesus unless they see Them in person.
Extraordinary claims require at least one piece of evidence.
But they believe in the books they read giving results of experiments they have not seen.
Nope have seen a lot of them. Youtube is fun

you are putting faith into what cannot be proven.
Except the results actually work.
what you yourselves have not seen and don't have the background to validate

I use the bible , nothing else.
That is just sad, A person so indoctrinated is such a sad thing.
it makes perfect sense and is proven everyday. there is no other logical explanation for the universe and all that is in it, that there has to be a Creator. It is perfectly logical to believe in God.
So brainwashed, so sad.

scientists have been trying to disprove God for centuries,
No, they have been trying to see how the universe works.
they have repeatedly failed. scientists have used various theories to explain the origin of the universe. why couldn't they stick to just one?
Because they discover they were wrong and admit it.
  none have been proven, not one. when one fails another one is made up to replace it.
It's called science. Wow you are dense

It all boils down to what you choose to believe in.
I believe in things that make the world better.
what will happen when we die? just worm food?
Yeah, it sucks but  such is life.
why would something so complex as the human, live it's life, die and become worm food?
Why not
why should we even bother to have laws, a sense of civilization when in the end, we are just worm food.
Wow is that how shallow you are. It's the ride not the destination. If you found out tomarrow that beyond any doubt there was no god, would it change who you are?

the creation of life and all that is in it can not be the result of "it just happened". what would be the purpose of life if after death that is it?
The purpose is to live laugh love.

why don't we just live in anarchy?
Some people do, but it is bad for a society.
we get our morality, sense of purpose from scientists? LOL
We evolved them from earlier Primates. Those primates that didn't have said morals died out.

some religions may die out, Christianity will not. despite the persecution, believers in God still exist and in some places around the world the numbers will grow of those choosing God.
It's already dying. There will always be christians, but being the majority will soon pass away.

how many of you non Christians will die for your belief in science?
What???
if it came down to not having to choose another belief, but to stop believing in science or die, would you do it?
WHAT, Did you just go full retard. No I mean it did you just ask me to give up on learning or death? Why would anyone want to do that. Why would anyone want to get rid of all the technology.
Two families went to town discussing all there woes. Gathering thirty talents they seperated to there tasks. One headed to the temple and prayed for god to give rain to his crops. Sacrificing his money to the priest he went home.
The second family and went to the store and bought a shovel, and headed back to his house. Through gruling labor he dug irrigation paths and diverted a small river.
A year passed and they both headed to the market with there crops... Who do you think had more to sell, the one who prayed to god, or the one that made a better future. 

there are people now that are being killed for their belief in God. they are not being told to believe in something else(except the  muslims are forcing conversion to islam), just stop believing in God.
In america?

It all boils down to what you choose to believe in. God's word is not called the truth for no reason
Actually it kind of is
. science has never been referred to as the truth!

Again it boils down to what can make a better future. Your end goal is to make a perfect (Sic) christian world. A secular endgame, we have none. Every day we look to the horizon and smile. I will build until we reach the horizion, and though we can never reach it, that is the point.

people get the death penalty from people that see and hear evidence that proves beyond a reasonable doubt that person did it. I wouldn't call " beyond a reasonable doubt" a low qualification for the word proof.

what should be the standard? if no one saw it, it didn't happen? if no one heard it , it didn't happen? no pictures it didn't or doesn't exist?

at a certain point everyone has to decide what they believe and  why.
Sounds reasonable, but as you are the Prosecution. (This thread isn't called Christians are no good wiffle ball players.) Please Provide evidence beyond a reasonable doubt that there is a god, the god of the bible is your god, that jesus is his son, That he is not the son of god, That he judges everyone, and that he is just.

Offline fish

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 24, 2014, 07:07:38 PM »
"And that right there is the problem. You need to admit to everyone that no mater(matter) how much evidence is given to you, you won't believe. Not because the evidence does not exist but because you do not want to believe. "

I am just doing the same as you; remember your statement;"Doubting Thomas, the only one with half a brain. Why will god prove himself than but not know. I stand by that quote, I will not believe in him until I touch his palm and feel the nail wounds for myself."

I believe in science, I believe the big bang may have been the method God used to create the universe. all those theories (all unproven) may have been how God created the universe. but you and the real scientists want to believe the universe was created without God in the equation. that is the difference and a dead end belief.

have you conducted experiments that prove the firmament is ice or vapor?

you are a lost cause. no matter the logic , you refuse to believe because you cannot see or touch Jesus or see His wounds. you cannot see with the naked eye elements of the universe, but you believe in them. have you seen and touched the entire fossil chain? but you believe in evolution.

one day you will be given a chance to follow God , or not. until then your beliefs are dead ends. their is no future in them.

what does science say is the future of the earth? just explode one day and that is it? what does science say happens to us when we die, besides becoming worm food? just dust? what is the purpose of life then if all we do is be born, live then die? no hereafter? I look to the promise of everlasting life in God" kingdom. If it doesn't happen what harm did it do to the believers? what about those that are a lost cause find out they have been wrong their whole life ?

believe what you want but you cannot prove your points the same way you want me to prove God.

remain a lost cause, that is your choice, hopefully you won't infect others.

Offline ebilly99

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 25, 2014, 01:22:23 AM »
"And that right there is the problem. You need to admit to everyone that no mater(matter) how much evidence is given to you, you won't believe. Not because the evidence does not exist but because you do not want to believe. "

I am just doing the same as you; remember your statement;"Doubting Thomas, the only one with half a brain. Why will god prove himself than but not know. I stand by that quote, I will not believe in him until I touch his palm and feel the nail wounds for myself."
God could show himself easily. You could easily look up all these facts yourself.

I believe in science
Except where it contradicts the bible, right.
, I believe the big bang may have been the method God used to create the universe.
And that is fine, but to show that the god who created the universe is the same as the bible requires still a lot more evidence.
all those theories (all unproven) may have been how God created the universe. but you and the real scientists want to believe the universe was created without God in the equation.
We really don't know, but we can't just say god, unless we define the god.
that is the difference and a dead end belief.

have you conducted experiments that prove the firmament is ice or vapor?
Yep water always freezes 32 degrees everywhere.

you are a lost cause. no matter the logic , you refuse to believe because you cannot see or touch Jesus or see His wounds. you cannot see with the naked eye elements of the universe, but you believe in them. have you seen and touched the entire fossil chain
No but I have seen enough of it. I don't need all the puzzle to see the picture.
? but you believe in evolution.

one day you will be given a chance to follow God , or not. until then your beliefs are dead ends. their is no future in them.
Why do you say that. Why are you so convinced you are right. You don't show any evidence yet you act all high and mighty.

what does science say is the future of the earth? just explode one day and that is it?
Yep
what does science say happens to us when we die, besides becoming worm food? just dust?
Yep
what is the purpose of life then if all we do is be born, live then die? no hereafter?
To leave the world a better place then when we got here. Or not but that is mine. See we get to make our own purpose.
I look to the promise of everlasting life in God" kingdom.
Fine, but is that the only reason you are good, for a unknowable reward you may never see?
If it doesn't happen what harm did it do to the believers?
None but you are not alone on this planet.
what about those that are a lost cause find out they have been wrong their whole life ?
Pascal's wager much. What about if we are both wrong and Allah is the creator, or God of the mormons, Or Jehova never sent his son and only the jewish people go to Abraham's Bosom. There have been a million religions. What if you are wrong? What if you bet all in to the wrong god.

believe what you want but you cannot prove your points the same way you want me to prove God.
Start with a single Piece of evidence. Just one. I throwdown genetic similarities and retroviral markers that identify closely related species. I will wait for a single piece of evidence for a god... And before bible, I will throw in that the universe is not made for life, but instead 99 percent of the universe has no life on it. Even the earth has very little area that a human can easily live in without changing the environment.

remain a lost cause, that is your choice, hopefully you won't infect others.
Well maybe, but it's nice on yes no questions. http://youtu.be/RB3g6mXLEKk

Offline fish

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 25, 2014, 04:12:41 AM »
a perfect example of a wasted life. You have stated before you know the bible inside out. a lie. you have no sense of purpose, nothing to look forward to. why make anything better?

the world has gotten worse since we were born. nothing you or I can do to change that.

the bible and science go together, until you leave God out of the equation.

nope, the God of the bible did create the universe. perfectly logical to believe it, scientists have failed repeatedly for centuries to prove otherwise!

God is not hard to define. it is just difficult for scientists to humble themselves and admit a Creator (God) created the universe.

I follow (as best I can) God's way. there is nothing but good if you follow God's way. everlasting life, no sorrow, no cares of the world, reunited with loved ones. I don't have to follow God's way, I choose to. the reward is clear. if you knew the bible inside and out like you said you did you would know that!

I don't act high and mighty. I use the bible, a book older than science books as my proofs, proofs that have not and can not be refuted!

"I throwdown genetic similarities and retroviral markers that identify closely related species."
show me your notes and peer reviews on your published work.

"And before (the)bible, I will throw in that the universe is not made for life, but instead 99 percent of the universe has no life on it. Even the earth has very little area that a human can easily live in without changing the environment."

show me your proofs. your notes, studies and peer reviews that substantiate your claims.

Offline mark

• Proud Father
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 25, 2014, 01:01:37 PM »
 Stay down ebilly....Fish is kicking your butt. Cover up and stay down!
~Teilhard de Chardin

Offline fish

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 25, 2014, 06:09:37 PM »
no more ignorant than you rick. we believe in different views on the creation of the universe. we weren't there when the universe was created we both trust and have faith in what we read and that it is accurate. the difference is your belief is based on man made experiments. man is fallible. computer models cannot even predict accurate weather forecasts, yet much of the data for the universe creation theories is based on computer models .

a person has to study and have a background of math, science and other disciplines to fully understand the scientific theories.

It only takes logic to understand the truth that the universe was created by a Creator. An illiterate person can do that as well as a scientist and those in between.

the bible has not been disproven .  theories have not been proven, not one. to believe in what has not been proven is ignorance. 

Offline ebilly99

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 25, 2014, 06:49:15 PM »
Stay down ebilly....Fish is kicking your butt. Cover up and stay down!
How is that winning. He stated that science isn't important. He also stated that God =/= Jesus but I guess you are ok with that? As long as he isn't telling you that you are worshiping god wrong it doesn't matter. Why doesn't that upset you? I have heard you call Jesus God, but you refuse to tell fish he is wrong because he supports most of your world view?
[/quote]
no more ignorant than you rick. we believe in different views on the creation of the universe. we weren't there when the universe was created
but we see the clues of what started it. Lets say we find a bunch of ash and buildings. Do we say it was created by god or that there was a natural (Man was here in the past) excuse for it. 
we both trust and have faith in what we read and that it is accurate. the difference is your belief is based on man made experiments. man is fallible
this doesn't help you. Man wrote the bible. God did not descend from heaven and write it himself. 
. computer models cannot even predict accurate weather forecasts,
Ever hear of the butterfly effect. There are variables we can not measure.
yet much of the data for the universe creation theories is based on computer models .
that tell the past, something that has happened, and using the clues of the past such as microwave radiation and star formations. Redshift and Galaxy drift. 

a person has to study and have a background of math, science and other disciplines to fully understand the scientific theories.
Seems fair. If you want to understand the universe you need to understand math. 

It only takes logic to understand the truth that the universe was created by a Creator. An illiterate person can do that as well as a scientist and those in between.
If it seems to good to be true, you should look at the fine print. (Rules of Acquisition, 219) Ever wonder why it is so easy to understand. Almost like it was written to satisfy the masses and not provoke deep thought.

the bible has not been disproven .  theories have not been proven, not one. to believe in what has not been proven is ignorance. 
And yet by your own words the bible has not been proven, and Science has not been disproven... But which one builds the future. Laptop, built by science.

Offline fish

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 25, 2014, 08:00:12 PM »
so you are answering for everyone now???????LOL LOL LOL

the bible is the inspired word of God. Man did not dream up what to write.
If you knew the bible inside and out like you say you do you would know this!

pick apart the post all you want, you have already lost the debate! continue in your fantasy.

show me your proofs. your notes, studies and peer reviews that substantiate your claims.

still can't? LOL LOL LOL no surprise! LOL LOL LOL

Offline ebilly99

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 25, 2014, 11:17:46 PM »
so you are answering for everyone now???????LOL LOL LOL
Everyone else does.

the bible is the inspired word of God. Man did not dream up what to write.
Prove it.

If you knew the bible inside and out like you say you do you would know this!
There would be no way to know that. If the bible is the ravings of a madman or the word of god, how could anyone ever know?

pick apart the post all you want, you have already lost the debate! continue in your fantasy.
Yes because I am the one using prayer to send messages at the speed of light. That's right it's science that I am using. I guess the electromagnetic theory is more valid then your undefeatable (Not) bible.

Ice cubes freeze at 32 degrees anywhere on earth. Space, being a vacuum is colder than 32 degrees. Thus water is ice in space...
Meteors come from space, meteors are made of ice. Water must exist as ice in space.

still can't? LOL LOL LOL no surprise! LOL LOL LOL
Actually didn't even break a sweat. Now your proof of a god outside your bible. (Don't use that science hasn't answered, as it doesn't point to a specific god. The first cause is also faulty as anything could be the first cause) How about you just show me a Healed amputee?

Offline fish

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 26, 2014, 01:05:41 AM »
there is no way the authors of the book could possess the knowledge of what they wrote.

2 Timothy 3:16-17

16 All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, 17 so that the servant of God[a] may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.

still can't show your notes , studies, peer reviews on any work(?) you did on any scientific experiment?????

but you want me to prove my statements? LOL LOL LOL LOL what a hypocrite!

"There would be no way to know that. If the bible is the ravings of a madman or the word of god, how could anyone ever know?"

so you were lying when you said you know the bible inside out? every chapter , every verse? not a surprise! LOL LOL LOL LOL

show your notes, studies and peer review of your published work on the electromagnetic theory! theories are not facts, but show YOUR work on the subject!

all water freezes at 32 degrees anywhere on earth?

meteors are ice? explain meteorites found on earth!

you are a pathological liar, you just can't stop. when challenged to prove your statements with notes, studies, peer reviews of your work to support your statements, you  change directions! what a coward!

healed amputee? maybe look up the wounded warrior ? military vets that lost arms and legs and now have arms and legs. they were healed by the knowledge God gave to drs and engineers. not the same as a miracle of God healing an amputee? I think they would disagree.

http://www.usni.org/magazines/proceedings/2008-02/prosthetics-va-past-present-and-future

the civilian world has also had prosthetics for yrs!
of course you didn't break a sweat! you can't prove any of your statements, it is easier to lie!!LOL LOL LOL

hang it up. you are a lost cause that can't prove any of your statements but want everyone else to prove theirs. a hypocrite and a pathological liar!LOL LOL LOL what a combo!LOL LOL LOL LOL

Offline mark

• Proud Father
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 26, 2014, 11:17:08 AM »
No water in space? I figured a seasoned scientist would know this?

Jupiter’s icy moon Europa squirts water like a squishy bath toy when it’s squeezed by the gas giant’s gravity, scientists say. Using NASA’s Hubble Space Telescope, they caught two 124-mile-tall geysers of water vapor spewing out over seven hours from near its south pole.

The discovery, described in the journal Science and at the American Geophysical Union meeting in San Francisco, shows that Europa is still geophysically active – and that this world in our own solar system could hold an environment friendly to life.

"It’s exciting," said Lorenz Roth, a planetary scientist at the Southwest Research Institute in San Antonio and one of the study’s lead authors. "The results are actually more convincing than I would have thought before."

Europa isn’t the only squirty moon in our planetary system: Saturn’s moon Enceladus has also been caught shooting water out of its south pole in so-called tiger stripes. These pretty plumes are caused by tidal forces. Just as our moon’s gravity squeezes and stretches the Earth a bit, causing the oceans to rise and fall, Saturn’s massive gravitational pull squeezes and stretches its tiny moon, causing cracks on its icy surface to open and allowing water to shoot out.

Scientists have long wondered whether something similar was happening on Jupiter’s moon Europa. After all, its surface is about 65 million years old, which is extremely young by our solar system’s standards, little more than 1.5% of the solar system’s age. This should mean that some geophysical processes must be constantly renewing the surface.

But over several decades, researchers repeatedly failed to catch the moon in action, said Robert Pappalardo, a Jet Propulsion Laboratory planetary scientist who was not involved in the study.

When the Voyager spacecraft, launched in 1977, flew by Europa, it caught a tiny blip on the moon's edge that people thought might be a plume, but it could not be confirmed. Then the 1989 Galileo spacecraft saw a potential plume of its own. But this turned out to be digital residue, traces of a previous image, Pappalardo said.

Even Hubble probably wasn’t able to properly see such plumes until space shuttle astronauts on the very last servicing mission for the iconic space telescope in 2009 fixed one of its cameras. Even now, looking for water vapor in the ultraviolet wavelengths of light tests the limits of Hubble’s abilities, scientists said.

To catch Europa in the act, the researchers also knew they had to time their observations right. Saturn's icy moon, Enceladus, shoots water near the farthest point in its orbit from Saturn, when the tidal forces cause cracks at the moon’s south pole to open. Around Jupiter, Europa was probably doing the same thing.

Sure enough, when the scientists looked at Europa when it was close to Jupiter in its orbit, they saw nothing. But in December 2012, when the ice moon was at its farthest point from the gas giant, they caught a pair of plumes bearing clear signs of oxygen and hydrogen – the components of water vapor – shooting from near the southern pole.

Scientists can’t say exactly where the plumes are coming from. It could be that they’re going directly from solid ice to gas, as Europa’s ice sheets rub against each other. But it could also be that the these plumes of vapor may be coming from the ocean of liquid water thought to lie under the moon’s frozen surface.

If the moon is still geophysically active, that could make it a prime environment for life.

Another study out of this week’s American Geophysical Union meeting found signs of clays on Europa’s surface. Clays are often associated with organic matter, which is why NASA’s Mars rover Curiosity is headed to Mt. Sharp, whose clay-rich layers could hold signs of life-friendly environments.

Those clays were probably brought to Europa by comets or asteroids, and if such material was able to make it into Europa’s subsurface ocean, it could provide the nutrient-rich soup that could allow life to emerge.

"We’re trying to understand, could this be a habitable environment today? Could there be life there today?" Pappalardo said. "At Europa, it seems the processes that could permit habitability may be going on now."

Perhaps future studies can analyze all the contents of that watery plume and see if there are any signs of organic matter, Pappalardo said. Perhaps a future mission to Europa could fly through the plume and directly sample its contents.

For now, it’s important to replicate the results, he added.

"I will sleep better knowing that there are follow-up observations that confirm it," Pappalardo said.

[For the Record, 3:53 p.m. PST Dec. 13: An earlier version of this post in one instance referred to Europa as a planet. It is a moon.]

ALSO:

Saturn's icy moon Enceladus squirts water from 'tiger stripes'

Harrowing: Italian astronaut describes nearly drowning in space

Mars and your sweaty armpits may have something in common

Eureka! NASA's Curiosity rover finds ancient, life-friendly lake on Mars

Scary smart! Alligators and crocodiles use sticks to lure birds

Email

FEATURED

Death of Scott Sterling, son of Clippers owner, ruled accidental

Bree Walker talks about her sobriety, her arrest, and that mug shot

How not to say the wrong thing

MORE:

Mayor feels a `sense of failure' in marital split

Seizure Led to FloJo's Death

His 104 scores make his case

Brutal Murder by Teen-Age Girls Adds to Britons' Shock

~Teilhard de Chardin