Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • littlebit: Makes sense.
    July 16, 2017, 04:40:28 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Boards will stay open for a place people can find history information longer. I am not allowing anyone to sign up for now because of so many foreginers just wanting to promote their business..
    December 10, 2016, 05:10:27 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Not sure why didn't look, I may be shutting down these message boards..
    November 17, 2016, 12:42:43 AM
  • ~kathy~: rick why is the timestamp showing up a day in advance?
    September 13, 2016, 12:27:46 AM
  • Valor7: What I tried to say is that the actual money would not be there that quick. But a loan against that would work if they are willing to do that.
    August 08, 2016, 01:51:51 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Why so long before it comes online? 911 took out a loan or bond with the known guarantee payment and began building..
    August 08, 2016, 07:46:34 AM
  • Valor7: Actually no it is not, a dependable Revenue stream will not come on line until the 4th quarter of 2017 so 2018 budget will be up in the air, not quite sure what they will have. By 2019 budget all will be well.
    August 04, 2016, 09:27:17 PM
  • Valor7: You mean that tax that the Commissioners would not put on the ballot for so many years? Strange things happened when the citizens got a chance to vote on that issue.
    August 03, 2016, 06:43:06 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Back up is now available withe the new tax..
    August 03, 2016, 05:01:35 PM
  • Valor7: Thanks a lot Ladies!!
    July 29, 2016, 01:16:13 PM
  • littlebit: ((*(*&
    July 27, 2016, 03:47:52 PM
  • ~kathy~: lol
    July 15, 2016, 09:34:56 AM
  • Valor7: A guy could get killed around here while waiting for backup!
    July 13, 2016, 07:31:58 PM
  • Lepard LLC: You are not alone..
    July 13, 2016, 07:28:53 PM
  • Valor7: I just hate it when I talk to myself!!!!
    July 08, 2016, 12:54:09 PM
  • Valor7: I could have worded that better, we talked details, options, the pros and cons of each, in  order to arrive at the best ballot language to present to the voters. Hope that makes this clearer.
    April 15, 2016, 06:36:14 PM
  • Valor7: sorry about the typos still working with just one arm in action
    April 13, 2016, 01:10:42 PM
  • Valor7: Yes and no. We talked details and options until we were blue in the face but I never heardbring it over, it was always the time was not right for the issue to pass. Glad to see the time in now right and I for one shall vote yes on the ballot. I would urge all others to do the sameour county is busting at the seams crimewise and no matter how many bad guys we send off there always seems to someone to replace them. The Sheriff's Office needs the help.
    April 13, 2016, 01:08:35 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Is that true Valor? Did he ask you what you wanted?
    March 01, 2016, 04:55:37 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Gene Newkirk Rick I have waited for a Sheriff to bring it to me on what he wanted. I have pushed Mr long for a while to get it to me. He told me he was close to having or done. Now hopefully the people will get to decide on it. I spoke with Steve about this a few times.
    March 01, 2016, 04:54:54 AM
  • Kimberly: Wow- I have a new name..........
    February 23, 2016, 10:25:15 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Works on mine, improvements are being done here. I may kick back into her a lot and post but working on different technologies right now. Seeing how things interact.
    January 18, 2016, 09:01:20 AM
  • Valor7: Yes it is working. If you need a laugh the wife showed me how to correctly use the silly thing.
    January 04, 2016, 05:32:59 PM
  • Valor7: Think so, mine is trying to work but it is now user and password protected and I dont know mine
    December 17, 2015, 01:32:16 PM
  • "DJ": Is there still a working android app for the PCSD
    December 14, 2015, 08:14:53 PM

Author Topic: Would-be czar Obama runs into Dem opposition  (Read 3456 times)

Offline ex-ed

• View Profile
Would-be czar Obama runs into Dem opposition
« on: March 11, 2009, 04:01:13 PM »

Share/Bookmark

Fort Wood Hotel

Boards

Devils Elbow

Attractions

Sports

St. Robert

Waynesville

PC Daily

Dixon

Menu Guide

Fun Links

Homework

Crocker

Fort Wood

Swedeborg

Big Piney

Laquey

Classifieds

Restaurants

Richland

Fort  Hotels

Obama attempting to stifle earmarks, but House Democrat leader says he can't do it. Also note O's excuses for signing budget with all earmarks intact.

Obama to lay out guidelines to overhaul earmarks 
       (CNN) -- President Obama on Wednesday will talk about new guidelines aimed at cutting down the number of earmarks in appropriations legislation, one day after the Senate passed a spending bill with nearly 9,000 earmarks, his administration said.         President Obama on Wednesday will announce new "rules of the road" on earmarks, the White House says.    Earmarks are unrelated pet projects that members of Congress insert in spending bills. Some lawmakers have urged Obama to veto the $410 billion omnibus spending bill -- saying it goes against the president's campaign pledge to bring an end to wasteful spending.
    White House officials said Obama will sign the bill to keep key government agencies funded, but the president will lay out the new guidelines on earmarks as a not-so-subtle threat that he could veto future spending bills that do not comply with his objectives.
    Obama may sign the bill into law behind closed doors rather than make a public show of it, White House press secretary Robert Gibbs said.
    "Although it's not perfect, the president will sign the legislation but demonstrate for all involved rules moving forward that he thinks can make this process work a little bit better," Gibbs said at his daily briefing with reporters.
    White House officials have tried to dismiss the pork-laden legislation as "last year's business" that Obama is dealing with reluctantly.    Gibbs added that "over the course of the president's tenure in Washington, dozens of those bills will come to his desk" and Obama wants to make clear "that there will be some new rules of the road" for lawmakers to follow.     
    Top Democrats, including House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer of Maryland, have suggested lawmakers do not appreciate being dictated to on an issue that is a congressional prerogative. Asked last week about the administration's plan to put forth guidelines to overhaul earmarks, Hoyer said flatly, "I don't think the White House has the ability to tell us what to do." He paused and quipped to reporters, "I hope you all got that down."
    Given the sensitivity of the issue with fellow Democrats, senior White House aides were reluctant Tuesday evening to preview any of the new "rules of the road" the president will lay out. Obama's schedule for Wednesday includes a public announcement on "earmark reform" in the morning.
    Obama's budget director made a vow Sunday that the president will bring a halt to pork-laden bills. "[Such bills] will not happen when the president has the full legislative and appropriations process in place," Peter Orszag, director of the White House Office of Management and Budget, told CNN's "State of the Union With John King."
"Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come!"

Offline contemplating

• View Profile
Re: Would-be czar Obama runs into Dem opposition
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2009, 04:22:30 PM »
I like this part:

"Obama's budget director made a vow Sunday that the president will bring a halt to pork-laden bills. "[Such bills] will not happen when the president has the full legislative and appropriations process in place," Peter Orszag, director of the White House Office of Management and Budget, told CNN's "State of the Union With John King."

So just when does the prez plan on having those things in place?  Term #2?  And what about that transparency thing - signing behind closed doors isn't exactly out in the open.

The real kicker is the referal to "last years business".  Does this mean he is still blaming the Bush administration or is he hitting at those truly responsible for last years business - the Democratic controlled congress?

Haha - could be getting ugly real soon.

Good post.
"In order to be a leader of men, a man has to receive an education in his own country, among his own people, and to grow up in surroundings steeped with the traditions and psychology of his countrymen.  Not only did Western education not fulfill that condition, but it tended to wean a young man from the traditions and customs of his country."

King Abdulaziz ibn Saud...circa 1930
Cited by Ronald Lacey in "The Kingdom:  Arabia and the House of Saud"

Offline What_The?

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2009, 04:25:01 PM »
He means this budget should have been completed before the fiscal year, which is half over, began.  Last years business.

If the recession isn't Bush's fault, was the fake recession Bush blamed on Clinton really the Republican Cogress' fault?
"There are plenty of good reasons for fighting, but no good reason ever to hate without reservation, to imagine that God almighty Himself hates with you, too. Where's evil? It's that large part of every man that wants to hate without limit, that wants to hate with God on its side." - Kurt Vonnegut

Offline matrsnot

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2009, 04:53:45 PM »
As I remember the stock market peaked out near 18,000 during Bush's tenure.  It has gone down an average of about 100-150 points each week since he took office.  Further, he cna and should dictate to congress.  It is about checks and balances.  Actually it is all a word game and he will sign whatever they send to him.  After he is Lyndon Baines Obama.  The fact of the matter is this country was going into recession when Bush took over.  His policies pulled this country out of the recession.  And once more, last year's business includes the incompetent congress failing to get a budget back to the President on time.  They will perform the same task in the same way this year too.

Offline contemplating

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2009, 05:21:17 PM »
I don't care what anyone says, it is hard to figure out what "he means" on anything.  He said or "meant" a lot of things during the campaigns.  He hasn't done much so far to back any of it up.

My guess is he won't do any different in the future.

Why the apologetics?
"In order to be a leader of men, a man has to receive an education in his own country, among his own people, and to grow up in surroundings steeped with the traditions and psychology of his countrymen.  Not only did Western education not fulfill that condition, but it tended to wean a young man from the traditions and customs of his country."

King Abdulaziz ibn Saud...circa 1930
Cited by Ronald Lacey in "The Kingdom:  Arabia and the House of Saud"

Offline cowboy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2009, 01:36:43 AM »
Everybody talks about Bush spending money and causing a deficit yet last night when the bill was discussed harry reed said bush never did provide enough money for the government to operate.   These guys don't even know which side of their mouth  they speak from.

Funny they just announced that the stimulus package would fall ONE MILLION short on jobs so they need to throw more money at the problem.  As I recall somebody told them that before it was signed  ---  lets see who was that.

Offline cowboy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2009, 01:40:01 AM »
 me me me I Know the answer jfj

Offline ♥♣ ~Maynard~♣♥

• GOING GREEN: Save a tree,eat a beaver.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2009, 01:44:42 AM »
me me me I Know the answer jfj
Okay don't get so excited......... you can tell us if you want :th_thwhistling:   :wink1a:
Remember I'm a nudist so when you respond to one of my post yor talking to a naked man  :)

For entertainment purposes only. Any resemblance to real persons living or dead is purely coincidental.