Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • littlebit: Makes sense.
    July 16, 2017, 04:40:28 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Boards will stay open for a place people can find history information longer. I am not allowing anyone to sign up for now because of so many foreginers just wanting to promote their business..
    December 10, 2016, 05:10:27 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Not sure why didn't look, I may be shutting down these message boards..
    November 17, 2016, 12:42:43 AM
  • ~kathy~: rick why is the timestamp showing up a day in advance?
    September 13, 2016, 12:27:46 AM
  • Valor7: What I tried to say is that the actual money would not be there that quick. But a loan against that would work if they are willing to do that.
    August 08, 2016, 01:51:51 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Why so long before it comes online? 911 took out a loan or bond with the known guarantee payment and began building..
    August 08, 2016, 07:46:34 AM
  • Valor7: Actually no it is not, a dependable Revenue stream will not come on line until the 4th quarter of 2017 so 2018 budget will be up in the air, not quite sure what they will have. By 2019 budget all will be well.
    August 04, 2016, 09:27:17 PM
  • Valor7: You mean that tax that the Commissioners would not put on the ballot for so many years? Strange things happened when the citizens got a chance to vote on that issue.
    August 03, 2016, 06:43:06 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Back up is now available withe the new tax..
    August 03, 2016, 05:01:35 PM
  • Valor7: Thanks a lot Ladies!!
    July 29, 2016, 01:16:13 PM
  • littlebit: ((*(*&
    July 27, 2016, 03:47:52 PM
  • ~kathy~: lol
    July 15, 2016, 09:34:56 AM
  • Valor7: A guy could get killed around here while waiting for backup!
    July 13, 2016, 07:31:58 PM
  • Lepard LLC: You are not alone..
    July 13, 2016, 07:28:53 PM
  • Valor7: I just hate it when I talk to myself!!!!
    July 08, 2016, 12:54:09 PM
  • Valor7: I could have worded that better, we talked details, options, the pros and cons of each, in  order to arrive at the best ballot language to present to the voters. Hope that makes this clearer.
    April 15, 2016, 06:36:14 PM
  • Valor7: sorry about the typos still working with just one arm in action
    April 13, 2016, 01:10:42 PM
  • Valor7: Yes and no. We talked details and options until we were blue in the face but I never heardbring it over, it was always the time was not right for the issue to pass. Glad to see the time in now right and I for one shall vote yes on the ballot. I would urge all others to do the sameour county is busting at the seams crimewise and no matter how many bad guys we send off there always seems to someone to replace them. The Sheriff's Office needs the help.
    April 13, 2016, 01:08:35 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Is that true Valor? Did he ask you what you wanted?
    March 01, 2016, 04:55:37 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Gene Newkirk Rick I have waited for a Sheriff to bring it to me on what he wanted. I have pushed Mr long for a while to get it to me. He told me he was close to having or done. Now hopefully the people will get to decide on it. I spoke with Steve about this a few times.
    March 01, 2016, 04:54:54 AM
  • Kimberly: Wow- I have a new name..........
    February 23, 2016, 10:25:15 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Works on mine, improvements are being done here. I may kick back into her a lot and post but working on different technologies right now. Seeing how things interact.
    January 18, 2016, 09:01:20 AM
  • Valor7: Yes it is working. If you need a laugh the wife showed me how to correctly use the silly thing.
    January 04, 2016, 05:32:59 PM
  • Valor7: Think so, mine is trying to work but it is now user and password protected and I dont know mine
    December 17, 2015, 01:32:16 PM
  • "DJ": Is there still a working android app for the PCSD
    December 14, 2015, 08:14:53 PM

Author Topic: PCSD- Assault & Shots Fired Call  (Read 23375 times)

Offline okie the thread killer

• View Profile
Re: PCSD- Assault & Shots Fired Call
« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2010, 07:15:56 PM »

Share/Bookmark

Fort Wood Hotel

Boards

Devils Elbow

Attractions

Sports

St. Robert

Waynesville

PC Daily

Dixon

Menu Guide

Fun Links

Homework

Crocker

Fort Wood

Swedeborg

Big Piney

Laquey

Classifieds

Restaurants

Richland

Fort  Hotels

This even made KY3 news...http://www.ky3.com/news/local/92679209.html where again the other suspects names is not being used. 

another question raised by this article is how can you violate a protection order on your own property?

He was arrested by the St. Robert Police...who says one has anything to do with the other.
I have it on good authority that the Hokey-Pokey really IS what it's all about.

Offline matrsnot

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2010, 07:25:37 PM »
And if there was a valid protection order, his CCW should have been suspended. 

Offline Waynesvillian

• ^^^HAHAHAHAHA^^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2010, 07:44:05 PM »

He was arrested by the St. Robert Police...who says one has anything to do with the other.

If it doesnt have anything to do with the other then why put it in the story about the assault, one only assumes they are related because they are in the same article. 

Offline Geezer Glide Taz

• Land Of The Free, Because Of The Brave
  • Riding Vertical Shiny Side Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2010, 08:00:27 PM »
He was not on his own property when this occured. He was in an easement that he did not own. Not saying that bassett had any right to push his lawnmower with his truck, and i don't know all the specifics, only those three present know that, but I think the biggest reason he got the worst out of this so far was because he pulled a gun out and fired when we was not on his own property at the time.
Freedom Of Road Riders,
Protecting and informing riders in Missouri
www.midamericafreedomrally.com

Please watch out for Motorcycles on the road
The life you save might be mine

Offline matrsnot

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2010, 12:40:51 AM »
1st Degree Assault on a truck.  Hmmmmm   :jester:

Offline okie the thread killer

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 04, 2010, 12:52:29 AM »
this is an on going feud, and things we dont know publicly will probably come to light, so might as well not speculate.
I have it on good authority that the Hokey-Pokey really IS what it's all about.

Offline littlebit

• Cunning Linguist
  • Home is what you make it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2010, 04:51:44 AM »
Oh man, how cool can this whole story be?  Here I am sitting on the other side of the Atlantic and there is a big assault and shoot-em-up and I have kinfolk that own land all around these guys!!  Kinda makes me homesick.  :(

My father-in-law lives a stones throw away from where this happened...
Some people are like Slinkies... Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

I'd give my left arm to be ambidextrous...

“The truth is, everyone is going to end up hurting you. You just have to find the ones who are worth suffering for.”

Offline Geezer Glide Taz

• Land Of The Free, Because Of The Brave
  • Riding Vertical Shiny Side Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2010, 11:25:52 AM »
The news said last night charges were also pending against the truck driver for ramming the lawnmower
Freedom Of Road Riders,
Protecting and informing riders in Missouri
www.midamericafreedomrally.com

Please watch out for Motorcycles on the road
The life you save might be mine

Offline Yankee Trader

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2010, 12:42:48 PM »
Don't forget the prosecutor is the one who decides if charges are being filed or not. 

Offline matrsnot

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 04, 2010, 12:47:15 PM »
Thanks.  Haven't forgotten that either.  Just sitting back to see what develops. 

Offline fknarmyguyretired

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 04, 2010, 07:22:29 PM »
Carrying a weapon while mowing?  Is this a common thing in the neighborhood?  because of wildlife (snakes?) or something else?

Maybe I need to stay inside when the neighbors are mowing!  I may have to rethink going over and talking to the guy that mows the church yard across the street about his cool old mower.

Offline Auctioneer Ed

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 04, 2010, 08:56:58 PM »
Let the buyer beware.
When you buy a repossessed property, one could have bought a lot of problems with the property. I'm guessing that's what the unnamed suspect may be thinking, now.

Offline Waynesvillian

• ^^^HAHAHAHAHA^^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 04, 2010, 09:08:57 PM »
From what I hear they are both little boys in grown mens bodies.

Offline Chas

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 05, 2010, 02:32:11 PM »
Did he start shooting before the other guy hit the riding mower with his truck?  I think that would go a long way in deciding anything about this.  Now since we don’t ever get all the information that we feel we are entitled (and we are not entitled to or do we need to know everything, which makes it more fun to speculate anyway.)  Now this is pure speculation on my part but if (IF) the guy on the riding mower was struck first then he started shooting, why, was a statement of probable cause sent to the Prosecutor about that first and the probable cause about ramming the mower will be sent later.  That is what gives the appearance of the good ole boy system.  Now having said that, if the guy shot first then got rammed he is a lousy shot and got what he deserved. 

Offline matrsnot

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 05, 2010, 03:20:03 PM »
Circumstances reviewed by the Sheriff.  We cannot postulate on all the different scenarios and come up with the answer.  Each incident is different and subjective.  In other words, to me it does not matter whether or not the truck struck first or he shot first.  Each person has his own tale to tell. 

Offline Waynesvillian

• ^^^HAHAHAHAHA^^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 05, 2010, 03:34:10 PM »
See the thing is ive talked to someone that was a witness as well and her story is complety to the contrary of yours.

Offline firegirl204

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 05, 2010, 03:47:00 PM »
I believe both PC statements were sent at the same time......the Prosecutor has only decided to charge the one individual thus far.....charges may be filed at a later date for the second person.

Offline matrsnot

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 05, 2010, 04:02:22 PM »
I look at it like this.  If a person charges me with his vehicle and I am unable to get out of the way, then he is using deadly force and I have the right and responsibility to defend myself.  The difference is I would not be shooting a truck.  If you perceive someone is trying to run you down, you react with equal force if you can.  Perhaps our illustrious prosecutor is anti-gun and anti-CCW and wants to make an example of someone defending themselves?  Just a thought.

Eden, I was not discounting what you said and not trying to denigrate you.  The statement above is more to the point of what I wsa getting at.  Sorry if I offended

Offline matrsnot

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 05, 2010, 04:21:32 PM »
During the first part of the season when my grass is tall, I carry a pistol too.  .22 with birdshot for snakes.  also when clearing brush in the back yard area.

Offline matrsnot

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 05, 2010, 04:36:37 PM »
Depends on where I see them.  I have to go around the yard where to the edge where the mower won't go.  They seem to love rocks and brush off to my side.  If they are on the open yard, my mower has radar to pick them up.  As I said, it is only the first time or two of the year. We are past that now.  As far as clearing brush is concerned......I have a healthy respect and fear of snakes.

Offline kari

• Always looking in.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 05, 2010, 05:12:33 PM »
We have to carry a weapon here also....when mowing or using the weedeater..... Hell, shot a snake going into my veggie garden just the other day (not a good snake either).  Also, since my daughter insists she spotted a mountain loin 2Xs, better to be safe than sorry.
Proud to have served, US Army, WAC

Offline Chas

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 05, 2010, 05:40:47 PM »
I believe both PC statements were sent at the same time......the Prosecutor has only decided to charge the one individual thus far.....charges may be filed at a later date for the second person.
 From the article  --A statement of probable cause was sent to the Pulaski County Prosecutor reference the shooting portion of the incident. A statement of probable cause will be sent to the Prosecutor reference the alleged ramming of the lawn mower.
This implies that one was sent and one wasn’t. We can only ass-u-me that the sheriff has his reasons other than good ole boy network. ( Isn’t  second guessing and speculation fun)

Offline CriTTer

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 06, 2010, 02:15:17 AM »
it is against the law to kill a snake in missouri

Offline matrsnot

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 06, 2010, 10:33:02 AM »
Then you go ahead and treat those snakes like Obama treats terrorists.  Talk nice to them and they won't bite you then. 

Offline littlebit

• Cunning Linguist
  • Home is what you make it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 06, 2010, 10:49:13 AM »
Then you go ahead and treat those snakes like Obama treats terrorists.  Talk nice to them and they won't bite you then. 

Some how you always seem to make it political...

Back to the subject at hand, from what I read on Darrell's thread, the pickup rammed the mower first.
Some people are like Slinkies... Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

I'd give my left arm to be ambidextrous...

“The truth is, everyone is going to end up hurting you. You just have to find the ones who are worth suffering for.”

Offline darrellmaurina

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 06, 2010, 11:57:05 AM »
are we allowed to say?

Allowed? Sure. It's perfectly legal and anyone who wants can go down to the courthouse and get the court papers. But since I got criticized on the "other board" for not posting the name in my own article, here's why I didn't.

At least so far, the pickup driver is a crime victim and has not been charged with anything. Crime victims are not routinely named by the news media.

I realize this is a special case since the businessman is a well-known public figure. If a decision is made not to charge the businessman I will make a decison then on what to do. A complicating factor is that there is also a second victim involved who does not face any pending charges, and identifying the businessman will have the effect of identifying her.

Furthermore, this is being talked about all over Pulaski County. If people want to know who is involved, they can get that information lots of other places and I see no compelling need right now for me to publicly identify two different crime victims on the internet.

What other people do is up to them.
Darrell Todd Maurina
Check out the Pulaski County Daily News online newspaper at
http://www.pulaskicountyweb.com
Cell: (573) 433.6733 * FAX: (573) 774-2349
Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/darrellmaurina/
Follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/darrellmaurina/

Offline matrsnot

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 06, 2010, 02:31:39 PM »
If he rammed the lawnmower, that was an act of aggression, regardless of the alleged provocation.  that is the use of deadly force in my opinion.  The protection order has been included in the article even though it has no bearing on the incident at all.  Seems to me the media is trying to pile things on this guy to make the "victim" look better than he is.  I have no dog in this fight.  Loooking at it objectively based on the information seen thusfar, our "victim" should have been charged with 1st degree assault with his vehicle.  Funny how words can be twisted isn't it?  Especially when it involves a well known businessman.  Your article also implies he is already guilty by virtue of past indiscretions.  BS

Offline I have no username

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 06, 2010, 03:12:43 PM »
geeze, what happend to acting like an adult? 
Μολὼν λαβέ

If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom.
Dwight D. Eisenhower

Offline Waynesvillian

• ^^^HAHAHAHAHA^^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 06, 2010, 04:13:00 PM »
Special Treatment
Special Treatment
Special Treatment
Special Treatment
Special Treatment
Special Treatment
Special Treatment
Special Treatment
Special Treatment
Special Treatment
Special Treatment
Special Treatment
Special Treatment

Offline Valor7

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 06, 2010, 06:20:08 PM »
I have not made any public comments about this case. I will make some at this time. I will not discuss the facts of the case.

1.       In any response to a reported crime incident you will always get some of the immediate info wrong and it will need to be clarified at a later time as multiple officers put their heads together and determine who did what, saw what, and heard what and at what time that occurred. That is why we always say the investigation continues.

2.       With only 2 or 3 deputies on duty each shift, when a major incident has occurred that demands a lot of investigative follow up and paperwork on the part of the officer it would be nice if all the other calls stopped for the time the officer needed to complete the major incident. That does not happen so the deputy doing the major case will handle several other calls each shift while he struggles to find the time to go back to the major case. I have griped about this before in print and I will gripe about it again in the future.

3.       As officers I would say that we have a built in bias about handling “gun” related incidents first. We do understand that a PK can be a deadly weapon but we will default to the firearm case first most of the time.

4.       In the case at hand the “gun” PC went to the PA first. The “PK” PC went several days later. I am not proud of the delay but I also understand why it happened.

5.       Reference the “favoritism” shown to suspect #2 who was not identified. My policy has been to release the name etc. only after the person has been charged. My feeling is that once in a while a suspect is arrested and no charges are filed so I am going to lean in the direction of protecting that person’s name and reputation. BUT I will also say that my policy is far more restrictive than the current law allows. My release of a suspect’s name etc. is usually done by me on a volunteer basis in that I am making a general news release and seldom does anyone complain or ask for the info. In this case the Dixon Pilot newspaper wanted the name of the second suspect. I explained my policy and why I had that policy to them. I did not give them the name. The Dixon Pilot called back later that day (after speaking with a media attorney, probably from the Associated Press) and gave me the request again while quoting the correct Sunshine Law information. At that point I had no legal choice but to give them the name of the second suspect that we had arrested. I might also add that the name was already a matter of public record in the PC statement for the charges filed in the gun incident part of this matter several days before.

6.       So just to make it clear if you are arrested I CAN release your name, age, address, charge, and booking photo on a volunteer basis. If there is a DEMAND or REQUEST made then I must release the info. The Sunshine Law states that I must operate with the same “openness of records” as other public agencies. In our last Sunshine Law training session some months ago the speaker from the Missouri Attorney General’s Office made it clear that the best policy was, when in doubt, release the record. DTM will probably chime in on this part because it is in his media/legal alley.

7.       Just to make it clear for the future there are also reasons cited in the Sunshine Law that DO ALLOW me to refuse to release the arrest info. The determination of the open or closed record status has to be done on a case by case basis.

8.       The Dixon Pilot Newspaper hit the store counters on Wednesday the 5th of May and the Pilot staff has told me that the name of the second suspect, Arnold Bassett, is in their article.

9.       I will repeat the fact that Brent Bassett had nothing to do with this incident.

JB