Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • littlebit: Makes sense.
    July 16, 2017, 04:40:28 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Boards will stay open for a place people can find history information longer. I am not allowing anyone to sign up for now because of so many foreginers just wanting to promote their business..
    December 10, 2016, 05:10:27 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Not sure why didn't look, I may be shutting down these message boards..
    November 17, 2016, 12:42:43 AM
  • ~kathy~: rick why is the timestamp showing up a day in advance?
    September 13, 2016, 12:27:46 AM
  • Valor7: What I tried to say is that the actual money would not be there that quick. But a loan against that would work if they are willing to do that.
    August 08, 2016, 01:51:51 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Why so long before it comes online? 911 took out a loan or bond with the known guarantee payment and began building..
    August 08, 2016, 07:46:34 AM
  • Valor7: Actually no it is not, a dependable Revenue stream will not come on line until the 4th quarter of 2017 so 2018 budget will be up in the air, not quite sure what they will have. By 2019 budget all will be well.
    August 04, 2016, 09:27:17 PM
  • Valor7: You mean that tax that the Commissioners would not put on the ballot for so many years? Strange things happened when the citizens got a chance to vote on that issue.
    August 03, 2016, 06:43:06 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Back up is now available withe the new tax..
    August 03, 2016, 05:01:35 PM
  • Valor7: Thanks a lot Ladies!!
    July 29, 2016, 01:16:13 PM
  • littlebit: ((*(*&
    July 27, 2016, 03:47:52 PM
  • ~kathy~: lol
    July 15, 2016, 09:34:56 AM
  • Valor7: A guy could get killed around here while waiting for backup!
    July 13, 2016, 07:31:58 PM
  • Lepard LLC: You are not alone..
    July 13, 2016, 07:28:53 PM
  • Valor7: I just hate it when I talk to myself!!!!
    July 08, 2016, 12:54:09 PM
  • Valor7: I could have worded that better, we talked details, options, the pros and cons of each, in  order to arrive at the best ballot language to present to the voters. Hope that makes this clearer.
    April 15, 2016, 06:36:14 PM
  • Valor7: sorry about the typos still working with just one arm in action
    April 13, 2016, 01:10:42 PM
  • Valor7: Yes and no. We talked details and options until we were blue in the face but I never heardbring it over, it was always the time was not right for the issue to pass. Glad to see the time in now right and I for one shall vote yes on the ballot. I would urge all others to do the sameour county is busting at the seams crimewise and no matter how many bad guys we send off there always seems to someone to replace them. The Sheriff's Office needs the help.
    April 13, 2016, 01:08:35 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Is that true Valor? Did he ask you what you wanted?
    March 01, 2016, 04:55:37 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Gene Newkirk Rick I have waited for a Sheriff to bring it to me on what he wanted. I have pushed Mr long for a while to get it to me. He told me he was close to having or done. Now hopefully the people will get to decide on it. I spoke with Steve about this a few times.
    March 01, 2016, 04:54:54 AM
  • Kimberly: Wow- I have a new name..........
    February 23, 2016, 10:25:15 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Works on mine, improvements are being done here. I may kick back into her a lot and post but working on different technologies right now. Seeing how things interact.
    January 18, 2016, 09:01:20 AM
  • Valor7: Yes it is working. If you need a laugh the wife showed me how to correctly use the silly thing.
    January 04, 2016, 05:32:59 PM
  • Valor7: Think so, mine is trying to work but it is now user and password protected and I dont know mine
    December 17, 2015, 01:32:16 PM
  • "DJ": Is there still a working android app for the PCSD
    December 14, 2015, 08:14:53 PM

Author Topic: Bad luck or Greed?  (Read 2538 times)

Offline dixonbob

• View Profile
Bad luck or Greed?
« on: July 29, 2008, 12:42:12 PM »

Share/Bookmark

Fort Wood Hotel

Boards

Devils Elbow

Attractions

Sports

St. Robert

Waynesville

PC Daily

Dixon

Menu Guide

Fun Links

Homework

Crocker

Fort Wood

Swedeborg

Big Piney

Laquey

Classifieds

Restaurants

Richland

Fort  Hotels

'Extreme Makeover' house faces foreclosure     Mon Jul 28, 2:32 PM ET   More than 1,800 people showed up to help ABC's "Extreme Makeover" team demolish a family's decrepit home and replace it with a sparkling, four-bedroom mini-mansion in 2005.
Three years later, the reality TV show's most ambitious project at the time has become the latest victim of the foreclosure crisis.
After the Harper family used the two-story home as collateral for a $450,000 loan, it's set to go to auction on the steps of the Clayton County Courthouse Aug. 5. The couple did not return phone calls Monday, but told WSB-TV they received the loan for a construction business that failed.
The house was built in January 2005, after Atlanta-based Beazer Homes USA and ABC's "Extreme Makeover" demolished their old home and its faulty septic system. Within six days, construction crews and hoards of volunteers had completed work on the largest home that the television program had yet built.
The finished product was a four-bedroom house with decorative rock walls and a three-car garage that towered over ranch and split-level homes in their Clayton County neighborhood. The home's door opened into a lobby that featured four fireplaces, a solarium, a music room and a plush new office.
Materials and labor were donated for the home, which would have cost about $450,000 to build. Beazer Homes' employees and company partners also raised $250,000 in contributions for the family, including scholarships for the couple's three children and a home maintenance fund.
ABC said in a statement that it advises each family to consult a financial planner after they get their new home. "Ultimately, financial matters are personal, and we work to respect the privacy of the families," the network said.
Some of the volunteers who helped build the home were less than thrilled about the family's financial decisions.
"It's aggravating. It just makes you mad. You do that much work, and they just squander it," Lake City Mayor Willie Oswalt, who helped vault a massive beam into place in the Harper's living room, told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution.
___
FOUND the ignore button. Ha Ha

Offline mandie_81z

• View Profile
Re: Bad luck or Greed?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2008, 12:48:30 PM »
It's sad but I've always thought they build those houses too big for families already in financial crisis to handle. That's great if they pay off their mortgage but as you can see they just go get another one. Think about the difference in the electric bill between the old house and the new one.

Offline dixonbob

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2008, 01:30:55 PM »
Well my point was- Here is a family living in a not so nice house and all these people made their life a dream and they went and basically HOCKED the house and squandered the money.
My buddy Mark needs them to go out to his place and build his log home and I bet he dont HOCK it.
Maybe they need to have a signed agreement no borrowing against the home for 10 years
FOUND the ignore button. Ha Ha

Offline mark

• http://www.gayalpinesurvival.com/
  • Proud Father
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2008, 01:51:31 PM »
I'm sending in my application and I expect all PCW members to come out and work like dogs while I'm on vacation.
We are not human beings having a spiritual experience.
We are spiritual beings having a human experience.
~Teilhard de Chardin

Offline Coyote

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2008, 01:58:58 PM »
There was one couple out west who had fostered children for years and they got a house.  Then the foster kids who were living there at the time tried to sue them to take the house away...they lost.
....and that night as the moon crossed the mountain, one more Coyote was heard...

Offline mandie_81z

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2008, 02:01:30 PM »
The foster kids or the family?

Offline Coyote

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2008, 02:04:12 PM »
The foster kids lost...
....and that night as the moon crossed the mountain, one more Coyote was heard...

Offline Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2008, 02:20:18 PM »
Mark you just hold you breath, we will all be there soon. 
If your going to be dumb, you better be tough!

Offline mandie_81z

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2008, 02:24:24 PM »
 +_+_+ AW poor little babies. Those people gave them shelter and they do that? I just don't understand.

Offline fknarmyguyretired

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2008, 04:05:54 PM »
whats not to understand?  many many people in this world are stupid.  If that weren't true the karma thread would be the only thing on PCW

Offline julymorning

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2008, 05:28:25 PM »
whats not to understand?  many many people in this world are stupid.  If that weren't true the karma thread would be the only thing on PCW 

I resemble-I mean resent- that remark!
Hey, it's just me, Suzi

Offline deputy341

• what would you do in my footsteps?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2008, 05:44:12 PM »
I do not understand either!  It is a nice that these people are trying to do for families and then look at what they get for it!  I say shame on them!  You just can't truely help some people these days.  Such a same! Makes me 
With out heart we are nothing.

Offline fknarmyguyretired

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2008, 05:56:43 PM »
julymorning - thats not meant a knock on the karma thread, it was meant to point out that if if weren't for stupid people nobody would have anything to talk about on here.  However, the karma fairies floating around my monitor screen do get a little annoying, LOL

Offline julymorning

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2008, 12:44:56 AM »
julymorning - thats not meant a knock on the karma thread, it was meant to point out that if if weren't for stupid people nobody would have anything to talk about on here.  However, the karma fairies floating around my monitor screen do get a little annoying, LOL

Ha, I stay out of the political discussions  and confine my stupid people talk to the joke threads.  (Notice I carefully stepped around the religion topics, lol)

I think you're fishing for good karma, so brace yourself, it will only be annoying for a moment.  ROFLBO.  :karma:
Hey, it's just me, Suzi

Offline littlebit

• Cunning Linguist
  • Home is what you make it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2008, 07:31:34 AM »
Unbelieveable! ***(((* %%$%$$#
Some people are like Slinkies... Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

I'd give my left arm to be ambidextrous...

“The truth is, everyone is going to end up hurting you. You just have to find the ones who are worth suffering for.”

Offline merrymutts

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2008, 02:47:00 PM »
I used to watch that show and I was often appalled at the extravagance that went into most of the makeovers.

True...they are doing a great thing by selecting a family which is truly in need and helping to rebuild their lives...but let's face it....would a lot of those people really NEED or often even APPRECIATE  multi-screen HD TVs in every room of the house, for example, or imported leather furniture  even if they are all paid for by the program, sponsors and private donations ? Quality overrides Quantity.....better in my mind to help them rebuild but without all the extravagance....meet the needs of the family.

Would the families be able to afford the obvious annual upkeep to include the vastly increased property taxes and insurance to maintain and protect that new house ? Or would such widely broadcast extravagance mark them as a target for burglary or other violent crimes ?  Or would it foster a belief that the world "owes" them ?

Seems to me that the family took advantage of their new-found "fortune" and made a mockery out of the Extreme Makeover project.
Susan Aspeotes
M and Zee's Gourmet Pet Treats
WWW.BESTDOGCOOKIES.BIZ
Waynesville   MO  65583