Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • littlebit: Makes sense.
    July 16, 2017, 04:40:28 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Boards will stay open for a place people can find history information longer. I am not allowing anyone to sign up for now because of so many foreginers just wanting to promote their business..
    December 10, 2016, 05:10:27 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Not sure why didn't look, I may be shutting down these message boards..
    November 17, 2016, 12:42:43 AM
  • ~kathy~: rick why is the timestamp showing up a day in advance?
    September 13, 2016, 12:27:46 AM
  • Valor7: What I tried to say is that the actual money would not be there that quick. But a loan against that would work if they are willing to do that.
    August 08, 2016, 01:51:51 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Why so long before it comes online? 911 took out a loan or bond with the known guarantee payment and began building..
    August 08, 2016, 07:46:34 AM
  • Valor7: Actually no it is not, a dependable Revenue stream will not come on line until the 4th quarter of 2017 so 2018 budget will be up in the air, not quite sure what they will have. By 2019 budget all will be well.
    August 04, 2016, 09:27:17 PM
  • Valor7: You mean that tax that the Commissioners would not put on the ballot for so many years? Strange things happened when the citizens got a chance to vote on that issue.
    August 03, 2016, 06:43:06 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Back up is now available withe the new tax..
    August 03, 2016, 05:01:35 PM
  • Valor7: Thanks a lot Ladies!!
    July 29, 2016, 01:16:13 PM
  • littlebit: ((*(*&
    July 27, 2016, 03:47:52 PM
  • ~kathy~: lol
    July 15, 2016, 09:34:56 AM
  • Valor7: A guy could get killed around here while waiting for backup!
    July 13, 2016, 07:31:58 PM
  • Lepard LLC: You are not alone..
    July 13, 2016, 07:28:53 PM
  • Valor7: I just hate it when I talk to myself!!!!
    July 08, 2016, 12:54:09 PM
  • Valor7: I could have worded that better, we talked details, options, the pros and cons of each, in  order to arrive at the best ballot language to present to the voters. Hope that makes this clearer.
    April 15, 2016, 06:36:14 PM
  • Valor7: sorry about the typos still working with just one arm in action
    April 13, 2016, 01:10:42 PM
  • Valor7: Yes and no. We talked details and options until we were blue in the face but I never heardbring it over, it was always the time was not right for the issue to pass. Glad to see the time in now right and I for one shall vote yes on the ballot. I would urge all others to do the sameour county is busting at the seams crimewise and no matter how many bad guys we send off there always seems to someone to replace them. The Sheriff's Office needs the help.
    April 13, 2016, 01:08:35 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Is that true Valor? Did he ask you what you wanted?
    March 01, 2016, 04:55:37 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Gene Newkirk Rick I have waited for a Sheriff to bring it to me on what he wanted. I have pushed Mr long for a while to get it to me. He told me he was close to having or done. Now hopefully the people will get to decide on it. I spoke with Steve about this a few times.
    March 01, 2016, 04:54:54 AM
  • Kimberly: Wow- I have a new name..........
    February 23, 2016, 10:25:15 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Works on mine, improvements are being done here. I may kick back into her a lot and post but working on different technologies right now. Seeing how things interact.
    January 18, 2016, 09:01:20 AM
  • Valor7: Yes it is working. If you need a laugh the wife showed me how to correctly use the silly thing.
    January 04, 2016, 05:32:59 PM
  • Valor7: Think so, mine is trying to work but it is now user and password protected and I dont know mine
    December 17, 2015, 01:32:16 PM
  • "DJ": Is there still a working android app for the PCSD
    December 14, 2015, 08:14:53 PM

Author Topic: Military Benefits, different than when you joined?  (Read 7587 times)

Offline Law101

• Global Moderator
  • Big Piney Community Activist
    • View Profile
Military Benefits, different than when you joined?
« on: July 30, 2008, 12:54:18 PM »

Share/Bookmark

Fort Wood Hotel

Boards

Devils Elbow

Attractions

Sports

St. Robert

Waynesville

PC Daily

Dixon

Menu Guide

Fun Links

Homework

Crocker

Fort Wood

Swedeborg

Big Piney

Laquey

Classifieds

Restaurants

Richland

Fort  Hotels

I don't want to go off topic but I think this point is important to the current disscusion.

How many promises made to the military regarding future benefits have been changed or taken away over the years since WWII?  I know of several that affected family members of mine.

I also would like to point out that any type of Military "bashing" does not contribute anything positive to our communities or our efforts to promote a supportive envirement to those families who remain here while their loved one is deployed.  Nor does it encourage them to take an active part in our communities while they are stationed here.  It also does not encourage them to retire here.

Offline Geezer Glide Taz

• Land Of The Free, Because Of The Brave
  • Riding Vertical Shiny Side Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2008, 01:16:48 PM »
Not even since WWII. I joined in 1977, and was told i had free medical and dental for life.
Now I have no dental at all through the miltary and have to pay the same rates as anyone, and I have to pay for Tricare Prime medical insurance.

Freedom Of Road Riders,
Protecting and informing riders in Missouri
www.midamericafreedomrally.com

Please watch out for Motorcycles on the road
The life you save might be mine

Offline Coyote

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2008, 01:22:42 PM »
I joined in 1976 and was never told I had free dental for life.  Also, you don't have to pay for Tri-care prime.  You still get treated, but if you have tri-care prime, you can make appointments and get to the head of the line.  That's worth the measly $230 a year for me.  My husband chooses not to...that's his call.
....and that night as the moon crossed the mountain, one more Coyote was heard...

Offline mandie_81z

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2008, 01:28:07 PM »
My mom pays for Tricare prime and she still can't get an appt. when she needs one. I think its a waste of money.

Offline Coyote

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2008, 01:40:17 PM »
I can't believe that.  I get an appointment each and every time I call, plus the last two were same-day appointments.  Depending on the problem, sometimes you have to wait a couple of weeks like anyone else who sees a doctor.  Plus, you don't need an appointment to get lab work done.  I really don't think you have your story straight.

My mom pays for Tricare prime and she still can't get an appt. when she needs one. I think its a waste of money.
....and that night as the moon crossed the mountain, one more Coyote was heard...

Offline mandie_81z

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2008, 01:47:46 PM »
Excuse me but just because you can do it doesn't mean everyone can. My mom rarely needs an apointment and every single time she's called its been weeks and weeks you have to wait. When she has a sinus infection, which is usually the problem, she usually has to go to the emergency room. I'm not saying it isn't better lately, she hasn't been sick, but in the past she has had problems. Wow, now I remember why I usually keep my mouth shut on here and try to just reply on boring topics, because I guess I'm not entitled to my opinion. You basically just called me a liar but what I see it as is two people having different experiences. Maybe my mom has bad luck and is sick when everyone else is and maybe you just have good luck and are able to get in right away. IF the situations where reversed do you know what I would have said. I would have said wow, my mom has really good luck with getting appointments, maybe she can tell me her secret so I can pass it on to you.

Offline fknarmyguyretired

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2008, 01:52:48 PM »
appointments can be difficult to get sometimes, sometimes if you try a couple days and can't get one you either just have to to the ER or ask for a referal to go off post.

Offline Coyote

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2008, 01:58:07 PM »
If you have tri-care prime, you ALWAYS get an appointment.  It might not be when you want it, but you ALWAYS get one.  You seem to know quite a bit about what your mom does each and every time....

Offline mandie_81z

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2008, 02:03:01 PM »
1) I lived with her for quite a few years before my dad moved back here because two people, big house, why did i need to move out.
2)We ride to work together so if she has an appt. it affects my schedule as well
3) I'm very close with my mom and we email each other during the day so if she has trouble getting an appointment, or with a co-worker, or anything she emails me about it to get it off her chest.
What's wrong with that. And I'm not trying to sound defensive but i'm just stating the facts. I'm VERY glad I have such a good relationship with her. Let me tell you after Joe's mom was murdered it really made me realize how much she means to me.

Offline ~kathy~

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2008, 02:03:54 PM »

[/quote
I can't believe that.  I get an appointment each and every time I call, plus the last two were same-day appointments.  Depending on the problem, sometimes you have to wait a couple of weeks like anyone else who sees a doctor.  Plus, you don't need an appointment to get lab work done.  I really don't think you have your story straight.

Everytime I would call over and try and get my mom an appointment she couldn't get in when she really needed one. My dad died 13 months before he would have had 25 years in the army and they were told that they would have free dental and medical because my dad knew he wouldn't be around for my mother (but never told my mom) so he asked to be sure she would be taken care of when he died, and they told him yes she would be well she no longer has dental and she has tricare. up until 7 years ago we thought her medical was taken care of and then she had congestional heart failure and had to have a mechanical heart valve put in and her bill was out of this world so finally since it was the  army's mistake for not telling her they went ahead and helped with the bill and she got the tricare and now has medicare to. What really ticked me off the most was hearing her be told they would no longer let her see a doctor on post because of her age she had to get a doctor off post, the only thing she can have done there is getting her echo's done. It's not right for people who put there time into the military to have what they earned taken away.
Go ahead and blame me....Everyone else does

Offline mandie_81z

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2008, 02:09:03 PM »
Same thing with my dad. He has to go to the Lake, Columbia, and Richland. He only has about 20% of his heart working so he has appointments all the time. But he's well taken care of at those places so I can't complain too much. Its just sad that they do that.

Offline fknarmyguyretired

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2008, 02:12:02 PM »
now this statement is just not accurate for myself or my family,

if it is accurate for you, you have been very lucky

If you have tri-care prime, you ALWAYS get an appointment.  It might not be when you want it, but you ALWAYS get one.

Offline Coyote

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2008, 02:22:41 PM »
Dental care for retirees or their dependents was NEVER a benefit.  The only time dependents get free dental care to this day is when they are accompanying the service member overseas.  That's it.  I don't know who "they" was that told her anything, but to complain of no dental care is obsurd.

And Armyguy...you really say that you or your family has tri-care prime and have called for an appointment and are told "no." and that's the end of it.

Offline Law101

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2008, 02:31:22 PM »
Not even since WWII. I joined in 1977, and was told i had free medical and dental for life.
Now I have no dental at all through the miltary and have to pay the same rates as anyone, and I have to pay for Tricare Prime medical insurance.

I know exactly what you are saying.  Promises have been made to those who have served in almost every conflict and then those promises have been decreased or broken years later, usually during peacefull times.  I think once a promise has been made it should be kept, no matter who was in office at the time it was made. 

Offline Coyote

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2008, 02:33:21 PM »
I think this is some sort of rumor or "buddy talk."  Nothing has been taken away or changed in a harmful way.  It's only gotten better.  No one has any proof of it otherwise.

I know exactly what you are saying.  Promises have been made to those who have served in almost every conflict and then those promises have been decreased or broken years later, usually during peacefull times.  I think once a promise has been made it should be kept, no matter who was in office at the time it was made. 

Offline Law101

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2008, 02:53:37 PM »
My cousin's husband retired about 10 years ago.  He was the oldest Chief Petty Officer in the Navy at the time with 38 years of active duty.  He was promised full medical and dental for himself and family.  At retirement he discovered he had to pay additional for coverage for his wife and dental for both of them. 

Offline Geezer Glide Taz

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2008, 03:07:28 PM »
I think this is some sort of rumor or "buddy talk."  Nothing has been taken away or changed in a harmful way.  It's only gotten better.  No one has any proof of it otherwise.

No, sorry it was not buddy talk, after the Vietnam was was the beginning of the volenteer Army, and that was one of the sales tools they had back then, which even after 10 years, we were still authorized and that was free medical and dental for life. It was not until the early 90s that we lost our Dental, and Tricare became a thing you had to pay for a few years after that.
Did you also know that a retiree can no longer even use a PX facility overseas?
Say what you want, but but our entitlements are getting less. And you do know that 2009/2010 your tricare price will almost double.
Freedom Of Road Riders,

Offline ~kathy~

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2008, 03:12:24 PM »
Say what you want, but but our entitlements are getting less. And you do know that 2009/2010 your tricare price will almost double.

That is terrible!!!!!!! I will inform my mom about that. Don't they care about the people that are on a set income?
Go ahead and blame me....Everyone else does

Offline Coyote

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2008, 03:23:00 PM »
I retired 10 years ago and free dental was NOT a benefit for the retiree or dependent.  This is well...my cousins wife's brother-in-law said....

Offline Eeyore

• "Never leave your partner behind"
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2008, 03:27:55 PM »
When my husband went on Active duty in 1988 - He too was promised free dental and free medical for himself and his family ---
When he left active duty 12 years later - He still had his care, I no longer had dental.  and so it goes. . .

Now he is in the USAR and we get to pay med insurance like the rest of you - but I like seeing the same Doctor every time.  We are very happy with our Doctors here.
    "Hey, hey, hey, hey now.  Don't be mean.  We don't have to be mean. because, remember, no matter where you go, there you are."      - The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai across The Eighth Dimension

Offline Coyote

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2008, 03:32:12 PM »
I just want to know who made these "promises" of free dental care for life.  It had to be in writing people.

Offline Eeyore

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Military Benefits, different than when you joined?
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2008, 03:47:24 PM »
I beg to differ - I have seen military dentists at 3 installations.  If there were enough dentists to see the families of the service member they did.  I don't know about here - We were back East at the time.
The Med/Dental Benefits have changed much like retirement pay has changed - this is why when you get the paper work, there are a few different charts depending on your entrance date.
Dental care for retirees or their dependents was NEVER a benefit.  The only time dependents get free dental care to this day is when they are accompanying the service member overseas.  That's it.  I don't know who "they" was that told her anything, but to complain of no dental care is obsurd.

And Armyguy...you really say that you or your family has tri-care prime and have called for an appointment and are told "no." and that's the end of it.
    "Hey, hey, hey, hey now.  Don't be mean.  We don't have to be mean. because, remember, no matter where you go, there you are."      - The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai across The Eighth Dimension

Offline fish

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2008, 04:05:20 PM »
when I was stationed here in the early 80's, routine dental care was available to family members. it was done at harper dental clinic. there was a kids program.

retired active duty , it didn't matter then. the dental care was available.

medical was always available and there were few off base referrals. Fitzimmons  was used for serious problems. that has been replaced by columbia.

I have had very few problems getting appointments with tri care prime.

One big benefit though is the prescriptions. that saves a lot. my daughter is type 1 diabetic and the hospital saved a lot on the medications.

I don't look at the bx as a benefit as I don't buy much there. too many things are cheaper off base. but the commissary is good.

a lot has changed since 1974 when I enlisted though.

Offline mandie_81z

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2008, 04:12:14 PM »
When we moved back here in 88 we had dental. I remember going to the clinic and getting my teeth cleaned, etc. But then in the 90's it was taken away but I didn't mind, although I wasn't paying so I wouldn't, because they weren't as rough at the new dentist. :) I know a lot has changed since we moved back here. What was promised at sign up I can't say, so I can't get into that argument.

Offline Coyote

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2008, 04:19:44 PM »
That's great...and back in the 80's, there weren't as many soldiers here like now.  If they can provide dental care that's really great!!!  I agree with that 100%!  But PROMISES of free dental care for life was not made.

I beg to differ - I have seen military dentists at 3 installations.  If there were enough dentists to see the families of the service member they did.  I don't know about here - We were back East at the time.
The Med/Dental Benefits have changed much like retirement pay has changed - this is why when you get the paper work, there are a few different charts depending on your entrance date.

Offline Eeyore

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2008, 04:23:11 PM »
Yes promises for dental care for soldier and family were stated - for us it was for as long as we were a part of the army.  It was a stated part of the benefits of joining.

That's great...and back in the 80's, there weren't as many soldiers here like now.  If they can provide dental care that's really great!!!  I agree with that 100%!  But PROMISES of free dental care for life was not made.

Offline Strictly Confidential

• Help! Coyote turned me into a little fella!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2008, 04:25:35 PM »
1983 - free medical, and 50% of base pay with retirement at 20 years.  At the time I retired the military had 3 different retirement programs - mine, high-3 and then one other.  Mine didn't change, but many of the younger Soldiers got moved to the high3 which on average would mean they got less retirement.

Free medical was the deal - I pay 460 a year now for my full coverage - that is an insignificant sum that I don't even notice coming out of my retirement - but the principle of the matter bugs me a great deal - they changed the rules while the game was still being played - let a Soldier decide the terms of their committment are going to change and see what happens, lol.

Diability laws continue to change, but thankfully, though painfully slowly, for the better.  It was preposterous that a soldier paid their own disability from their retirement for years and years.  A soldier that lost a leg or arm for example would have 10% of his retirement exempted from taxes - meaning he/she got a break that amounted to wnat, 20,30 or 40 dollars?  Heck of a trade for a limb - compare that to what a civilain employeer would pay... that was a "what the hell are you thinking congres" moment.

I pay 960.00 per year for dental, directly out of my retirement - this plan covers me, the wife and my son who is 14.  Not a great plan, but very comparable to what most employeers provide.

The only thing I can really complain about is the horrible backlog for appointments at Wood.  4-6 weks is the average wait - my wife had a lump in on of her breasts, confirmed by Mammogram - doctor deemed it highly suspect and  said she needed a biopsy.  The tried to schedule her nine weeks out.

Nine weeks to languish and wonder if you have cancer or not - In the end I had to invlolve the patient representative to get her seen in 3 weeks rather than 9.

The hospital here is under-staffed for the number of people they serve and they are a victim of their own process.  You can call them and say I need to see this doctor because I have this problem - I know this because I have been seen for it before.  What do they do?  Tell you you must se a general practioner in a clinic (wait for 1-6 weeks for that) who will then confirm that you need to see "that" doctor, and then you can wait another 1-6 weeks for what you know you needed to be seen for in the first place. Then you end up seing a different doctor in order to reduce the wait time from XX weeks to x weeks.  You have to go through your entire history again, and many times fight for your meds - you may walk out with a different treatment plan all together due to this doctors personal opinions about your condition, or what meds he/she like to prescribe...

Anyone that deals with Tricare knows how amazingly inept and painful it can be - and they can give you a great synopsis on how horrible government managed healthcare can be...

Think of this as a small snapshot of a problem that will grow immensly after we get "national healthcare" managed by the government....
"All that is necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for enough good men to do nothing." --Edmund Burke

Offline Geezer Glide Taz

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2008, 05:00:13 PM »
I retired 10 years ago and free dental was NOT a benefit for the retiree or dependent.  This is well...my cousins wife's brother-in-law said....
I am not talking when I retired, that is true, byy the time i retired, in 1998, dental was no longer there, but when i joined in 1977, we were all told by the recruiter and every Army ad showed military retirees getting all this for life. Over the years, these benifits have gotten less and less
Freedom Of Road Riders,

retired1_us

« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2008, 05:32:15 PM »
I am not talking when I retired, that is true, byy the time i retired, in 1998, dental was no longer there, but when i joined in 1977, we were all told by the recruiter and every Army ad showed military retirees getting all this for life. Over the years, these benifits have gotten less and less

I enlisted the tail end of '75 and was promised in the same ways.  And yes, the ads were all over the media saying the same things.  It wasn't just the recruiter.  So we didn't read the fine print.  What 17 - 18 year old does?  We were taught (in that era) to trust our government to take care of us.......benefits have eroded and will continue to until someone steps in again to fight for change and reform.

TRI (to) CARE isn't insurance.  It is a management agency.  They manage appointments.  As Coyote said, you can still be seen.  This is true, just not as easily / soon.

I think it ironic and interesting that Ft Knox has a treatment facility devoted to nothing but retirees.  Walk-ins welcome.  TRI CARE free.

Offline Traveler

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2008, 05:34:52 PM »
When I got married here in 1992 my wife got dental work done at Harper. Shortly thereafter it was a thing of the past.

The only other thing I want to add........

Remember this is the care you get with government run healthcare. Old machines, old technology and short staff.
"The Republicans know we have a constitution, and they dismiss it with contempt and arrogance ... The Democrats simply act like they never heard of it ..."