Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • littlebit: Makes sense.
    July 16, 2017, 04:40:28 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Boards will stay open for a place people can find history information longer. I am not allowing anyone to sign up for now because of so many foreginers just wanting to promote their business..
    December 10, 2016, 05:10:27 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Not sure why didn't look, I may be shutting down these message boards..
    November 17, 2016, 12:42:43 AM
  • ~kathy~: rick why is the timestamp showing up a day in advance?
    September 13, 2016, 12:27:46 AM
  • Valor7: What I tried to say is that the actual money would not be there that quick. But a loan against that would work if they are willing to do that.
    August 08, 2016, 01:51:51 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Why so long before it comes online? 911 took out a loan or bond with the known guarantee payment and began building..
    August 08, 2016, 07:46:34 AM
  • Valor7: Actually no it is not, a dependable Revenue stream will not come on line until the 4th quarter of 2017 so 2018 budget will be up in the air, not quite sure what they will have. By 2019 budget all will be well.
    August 04, 2016, 09:27:17 PM
  • Valor7: You mean that tax that the Commissioners would not put on the ballot for so many years? Strange things happened when the citizens got a chance to vote on that issue.
    August 03, 2016, 06:43:06 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Back up is now available withe the new tax..
    August 03, 2016, 05:01:35 PM
  • Valor7: Thanks a lot Ladies!!
    July 29, 2016, 01:16:13 PM
  • littlebit: ((*(*&
    July 27, 2016, 03:47:52 PM
  • ~kathy~: lol
    July 15, 2016, 09:34:56 AM
  • Valor7: A guy could get killed around here while waiting for backup!
    July 13, 2016, 07:31:58 PM
  • Lepard LLC: You are not alone..
    July 13, 2016, 07:28:53 PM
  • Valor7: I just hate it when I talk to myself!!!!
    July 08, 2016, 12:54:09 PM
  • Valor7: I could have worded that better, we talked details, options, the pros and cons of each, in  order to arrive at the best ballot language to present to the voters. Hope that makes this clearer.
    April 15, 2016, 06:36:14 PM
  • Valor7: sorry about the typos still working with just one arm in action
    April 13, 2016, 01:10:42 PM
  • Valor7: Yes and no. We talked details and options until we were blue in the face but I never heardbring it over, it was always the time was not right for the issue to pass. Glad to see the time in now right and I for one shall vote yes on the ballot. I would urge all others to do the sameour county is busting at the seams crimewise and no matter how many bad guys we send off there always seems to someone to replace them. The Sheriff's Office needs the help.
    April 13, 2016, 01:08:35 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Is that true Valor? Did he ask you what you wanted?
    March 01, 2016, 04:55:37 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Gene Newkirk Rick I have waited for a Sheriff to bring it to me on what he wanted. I have pushed Mr long for a while to get it to me. He told me he was close to having or done. Now hopefully the people will get to decide on it. I spoke with Steve about this a few times.
    March 01, 2016, 04:54:54 AM
  • Kimberly: Wow- I have a new name..........
    February 23, 2016, 10:25:15 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Works on mine, improvements are being done here. I may kick back into her a lot and post but working on different technologies right now. Seeing how things interact.
    January 18, 2016, 09:01:20 AM
  • Valor7: Yes it is working. If you need a laugh the wife showed me how to correctly use the silly thing.
    January 04, 2016, 05:32:59 PM
  • Valor7: Think so, mine is trying to work but it is now user and password protected and I dont know mine
    December 17, 2015, 01:32:16 PM
  • "DJ": Is there still a working android app for the PCSD
    December 14, 2015, 08:14:53 PM

Author Topic: Automotive Cell Phone Use - Good or Ban it?  (Read 12008 times)

Offline Pete

• View Profile
Automotive Cell Phone Use - Good or Ban it?
« on: August 07, 2008, 03:19:11 PM »

Share/Bookmark

If your going to be dumb, you better be tough!

Offline melissacaroline

• I'm a welsh girl livin' in Missouri!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2008, 03:56:07 PM »
Can't tell you the amount of times I've nearly got hit by someone turning a corner while talking on the cell phone...!!! I leave mine off while I drive - wish more people would too!

Offline mandie_81z

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2008, 05:40:11 PM »
That's why I'm all for the policy on Ft. Wood.

Offline dixonbob

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2008, 09:48:34 PM »
Why stop with cell phones? Why not ban sodas in autos? Oh yea SMOKING! ooo ooo ,wait listening to music? (installing a cd or changing stations) Oh yea the ol slip an arm around your sweeti! Censorship has to stop! If anyone has any sense at all they can drive and in a safe way. Accidents are accidents. Leave the politics out of our autos. Heck they allreaady tell us what to wear when we ride a bike or motorcycle. Gezzz Its MY life and if you dont mind Id like to live it MY WAY!!!!!!!!
FOUND the ignore button. Ha Ha

Offline mommy-4

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2008, 03:38:48 AM »
If you wanted to ban everything, then I guess I would have to ban my kids from my car.  I ran a red light today, because my 19 month old has found a way to unlatch his car-seat.  And I was looking at him and telling him to sit down-till I could pull off the road and fix it.

Offline selinak

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2008, 08:44:10 PM »
Maybe you will feel differently if someone you love gets hurt by someone being on a cellphone, drunk, or not paying attention to the road, or possibly all three.  I hope you never have to go through it, but maybe it will open your eyes that there is a need to have a hands free law or even better, no talking on cell phones in cars period.  I don't see how anybody can be paying attention to the road, if they are talking to somebody on the phone.   And as far as them telling you what to wear when riding a bike or motorcycle, I'm all for it.  If it wasn't for his helmet,  my fiance would be dead now because of someone on a cell phone and drunk. She actually told the cops that she was on the phone and "didn't see him" 6 feet in front of her.   I just can't imagine that anyone would not be mad as hell, if their husband, wife, mother, etc. was seriously injured or killed because someone on a cellphone, but that's what it sounds like you are saying.  Everyone has a responsibility when they are behind the wheel, and when people aren't acting responsible that's when the laws need to be made.

Why stop with cell phones? Why not ban sodas in autos? Oh yea SMOKING! ooo ooo ,wait listening to music? (installing a cd or changing stations) Oh yea the ol slip an arm around your sweeti! Censorship has to stop! If anyone has any sense at all they can drive and in a safe way. Accidents are accidents. Leave the politics out of our autos. Heck they allreaady tell us what to wear when we ride a bike or motorcycle. Gezzz Its MY life and if you dont mind Id like to live it MY WAY!!!!!!!!

Offline Coyote

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2008, 09:22:45 PM »
My right to live trumps YOUR right to live your way while making an unsafe situation on the road.  A lady driving a truck pulled out right in front of me.  I managed to lock the brakes and keep from smashing into her.  She was on the phone...and had the nerve to smile and wave a little.  She never even noticed.  Yes, cell phones are not necessary on the road.

....and that night as the moon crossed the mountain, one more Coyote was heard...

Offline mandie_81z

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2008, 09:31:45 PM »
And we're not necessarily saying they should be banned but that if you're going to use it on the roadways that you use a hands free device and DON'T TEXT!!! Obviously people aren't going to be responsible with cell phones without a law or they already would be.

Offline Fafrd

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2008, 01:16:40 AM »
How much will a law banning cell phone use be affective?  From what i have seen with the laws with drunk driving, it doesnt seem to be working, i hear constantly about repeat offenders.

Just playing devils advocate here, but whats the difference between talking on your cell phone with or without a handsfree device.  Holding the phone to your ear doesnt make you less attentive to your driving, its the talking that distracts you.  So any law about cell phone use should be to completely ban cell phone use with or without the a handsfree device. 

Offline Just_a_Biker

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2008, 02:53:09 AM »
Ok, this seems to be getting a bit out of hand to me, so I feel compelled to throw my opinion in the hat now...  :th_tha3ab577b-1:

Give it a rest people!!  Cell phones in cars TODAY are cigarettes in cars in the 70's & early 80's!!  This is ridiculous; it's the same argument as gun control! 
Guns don't kill people, PEOPLE kill PEOPLE.
Cell phones don't injure people, PEOPLE injure PEOPLE.

Using your logic we should ban guns, we should ban cell phones in cars, etc. because they cause distractions, which injure people.  Ok, by the same logic we need to ban radios in vehicles (because listening is distracting), and passengers (because talking is distracting), and billboards (because reading is distracting), road signs (also distracting to read)... +_+_+ +_+_+ +_+_+

AND

We should all be required to ride motorcycles with a safety bubble and a personal safety bubble suit because someone could get distracted and injure us while driving their car and carrying on a conversation with themselves to try and stay awake... :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:
The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. Cicero - 55 BC, Rome

Offline ♥♣ ~Maynard~♣♥

• GOING GREEN: Save a tree,eat a beaver.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2008, 03:11:17 AM »
Its not so much as talking on the cell phone, can't be anymore distracting than kids in a car.
 But anyone that would use text message in a car while trying to drive is nutz. a phone is to talk on use it to talk.
 I have never sent or recieved a text message.
 and all we use is cell phones if you want to give me a message call me, i may even answer.
 if you want to give me a message sendme an email or a PM. But i hardly ever answer PM's anymore. Emails yes i answer them. :wink1a:
Remember I'm a nudist so when you respond to one of my post yor talking to a naked man  :)

For entertainment purposes only. Any resemblance to real persons living or dead is purely coincidental.

Offline mandie_81z

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2008, 12:28:02 PM »
Hands free means you don't have one hand busy with something you consider more important than the car you're driving. When I was in my younger years I used to talk and text while driving all the time. No, nothing happened but there were many near misses. Especially the time I dropped my phone and proceeded to dig for it while driving, very scary thought. Hands free would keep this from happening. People will break the law, if it were one, anyway because I see cars pulled over on post all the time and they usually haven't been speeding. I assume (and yes I know what that does) that a lot of them have been talking on their cell and driving. I agree with Coyote, "My right to live trumps YOUR right to live your way while making an unsafe situation on the road."

Offline Eeyore

• "Never leave your partner behind"
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2008, 03:00:14 PM »
I have to agree on the texting -- uh oh - agreeing with JT --yikes!     lol
Why on earth ANYone would be texting while driving is beyond me - How unsafe can you be.  I've been told "Oh, I'm safe while I do it" - sorry --- I cannot believe you can be safe while looking at your phone and not what is outside your window.  Please think about the other folks who could be hurt by this action!
    "Hey, hey, hey, hey now.  Don't be mean.  We don't have to be mean. because, remember, no matter where you go, there you are."      - The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai across The Eighth Dimension

Offline mandie_81z

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2008, 03:06:51 PM »
But people are doing it, especially the younger generation and there are no rules against it, not that they won't break it anyway, look at speed limits, but at least they would be in trouble if caught.

Offline South Gater

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2008, 06:24:13 PM »

So, if there was a poisonous snake in your back yard where your children play, you wouldn't remove it???  See:  http://www.car-accidents.com/cell_phone_car_accidents.html 

"Several studies show cell phones are a leading cause of car crashes. It is estimated that cell phone distracted drivers are four times more likely to be in a car wreck. According to a Harvard University study, cell phones cause over 200 deaths and half a million injuries each year."

Offline Just_a_Biker

• View Profile
Re: Automotive Cell Phone Use - Good or Ban it?
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2008, 08:04:44 PM »

So, if there was a poisonous snake in your back yard where your children play, you wouldn't remove it???  See:  http://www.car-accidents.com/cell_phone_car_accidents.html 

"Several studies show cell phones are a leading cause of car crashes. It is estimated that cell phone distracted drivers are four times more likely to be in a car wreck. According to a Harvard University study, cell phones cause over 200 deaths and half a million injuries each year."

So snakes have rights now?  Snakes can speak their minds?  Snakes vote?  You're comparing apples and turnips.

Studies, just like statistics, can be manipulated to say whatever the author wants them to say. 
The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. Cicero - 55 BC, Rome

Offline Fafrd

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2008, 08:38:56 PM »
I agree that texting while driving is completely stupid.  But if you are going to pass a law banning cell phones, it will have to include the hands free devices, its not the holding of the phone that causes the distraction.  It is the talking that causes the distraction.

Offline Just_a_Biker

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2008, 09:03:14 PM »
I agree that texting while driving is completely stupid.  But if you are going to pass a law banning cell phones, it will have to include the hands free devices, its not the holding of the phone that causes the distraction.  It is the talking that causes the distraction.

(((((   Agreed!!   (((((   

So, we should ban ALL conversation while driving a vehicle.  And, to ensure we can enforce that law, we must ban all passengers from vehicles.  Why stop there?  Why not ban vehicles all together?  I'm sure there were FAR fewer fatalities when we were cruising around in horses and buggies...

Damn that Henry Ford... he single handedly destroyed the free world and modern civilization...  ***(((*

Offline Eeyore

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2008, 09:43:12 PM »
One of the states near where I grew up has "Driving while Distracted" laws - I'll have to look that up and see what it entails out of curiosity.
    "Hey, hey, hey, hey now.  Don't be mean.  We don't have to be mean. because, remember, no matter where you go, there you are."      - The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai across The Eighth Dimension

Offline Eeyore

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2008, 09:48:59 PM »
http://www.ncsl.org/magazine/articles/2008/08SLMay08_Driving.htm
Looks like Driving while Texting laws are on their way -  Much of story is anecdotal evidence about crashes - but the link is there for you to read.  Texting would now be a primary offense in NJ.

http://www.naghsr.org/html/stateinfo/laws/cellphone_laws.html  This page contains the State Cell Phone Driving Laws.  Missouri has nothing listed of yet.

Offline Just_a_Biker

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2008, 09:59:41 PM »
This is just more of "Big Brother" knowing what's "best" for us "little sheep"...

Offline Eeyore

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2008, 10:11:19 PM »
OK -- just thought I'd put out the laws and such if anyone wanted to read those.  The quotes were rifled with code so I took those out - It is much more readable on the originating sites anyway.

Offline Just_a_Biker

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2008, 10:14:15 PM »
OK -- just thought I'd put out the laws and such if anyone wanted to read those.  The quotes were rifled with code so I took those out - It is much more readable on the originating sites anyway.

Thanks Eeyore, it's always good to know what's going on around you.

Offline Eeyore

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2008, 10:16:54 PM »
You are welcome - sorry the quotes had to come out - but just to many [/i] in there and every time I deleted one it was replaced by 10 more.

Sheesh - does anyone else remember when the ONLY thing to do in your car while driving was listen to AM/FM (tape if you had money) and perhaps listen to the trucks on your "Help" CB Radio!   And how amazing it was to see the little motorcycle CB Radio with helmet headphones

Offline Just_a_Biker

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2008, 10:23:57 PM »
You are welcome - sorry the quotes had to come out - but just to many [/i] in there and every time I deleted one it was replaced by 10 more.

Sheesh - does anyone else remember when the ONLY thing to do in your car while driving was listen to AM/FM (tape if you had money) and perhaps listen to the trucks on your "Help" CB Radio!   And how amazing it was to see the little motorcycle CB Radio with helmet headphones

I remember AM only radios...  And 8-tracks... then there were cassettes (which were a distraction because you had to take them out and flip them over), and then CD players (also a distraction because you had to insert the CD), then multi-disk CD changers (safer!!), then Satellite Radio...  What's next?[/font][/font] [/font][/font] Seriously, does anyone else remember the late 70's & early 80's when there was such uproar about smoking in vehicles, and how lighting a cigarette was a distraction???  Maybe it was just in my geographical location or something... hhhmmmm...

Offline Eeyore

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2008, 10:26:30 PM »
I remember getting a ride with a guy in college - had a graphical display for speed and some sort of push buttons for his gears AND his radio --- that MUST have been distracting.
AM only radios --- my first car had one of those - of course it started life as a rental car

Offline Geezer Glide Taz

• Land Of The Free, Because Of The Brave
  • Riding Vertical Shiny Side Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2008, 01:47:12 PM »
Most of you are talking about what you see here, with our little traffic. Try Kansas City, or St Louis, with tons of traffic. Every day there is a major wreck because someone had that thing attached to their ear.
This problem is much different that seatbelts, or helmets. Wit seatbelts or helmets, the only person's life you are endangering is your own. It is a proven fact that cell phone utilization while driving distracts many drivers, resulting in accidents where Innocent people get killed or maimed.
Washington DC used to have a terrible problem along with Maryland. It is now against the law there to utilize a cell phone without a hand free device. Their accident rate has decreased since then by 35%. That's a major drop considering the number of vehicles that drive in DC and Baltimore daily.
I heard someone say we treat this like a DWI. So, we wait until after they have killed someone before we act?
No body is suggesting that you can not use your cell phone. I use mine while driving all the time. But with a hand free device. Now a days, you can get a car hands free device that plays through your stereo, or a blue tooth ear piece, and for little money, much cheaper that your cell phone costs, and a hell of a lot cheaper than what is cost to save a persons life you ran over.
Nobody can tell me that with that thing stuck to your face youhave the same mobility and dexterity as without. You are prone to not turn your head around while driving looking where everything is, you don't have the ability to use both hands when maneuvering your vehicle, because you don't want to miss anything in the conversation. I know this because i used to drive with it stuck to my face, until I realized it was affecting how I drove, and how dangerous it is to others.
But since net everybody is going to do the smart thing, and since this is becoming the second leading cause of car accidents and deaths, I think we should have a law restricting cell use phones in vehicles to hand free use only.
The number one cause naturally is drunk driving. Or should we take that law away and just let mayhem raine?
I do realize that passing a law will not make it go away, just like DWI, but what it will do is make it inexcusable if you kill some one because you were driving with Motorola stuck to your face.

Freedom Of Road Riders,
Protecting and informing riders in Missouri
www.midamericafreedomrally.com

Please watch out for Motorcycles on the road
The life you save might be mine

Offline Traveler

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2010, 04:23:57 PM »
Cell phone driving bans don't work
By Peter Valdes-Dapena, senior writerJanuary 29, 2010: 10:30 AM ET

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- State laws that ban drivers from talking on hand-held cell phones seem to have no effect on crash rates, according to a study released Friday.

The Highway Loss Data Institute compared collisions of 100 insured vehicles per year in four different jurisdictions before and after bans on handheld cell phone use took effect. The study was done in New York, Washington, D.C., Connecticut and California.

Monthly fluctuations in crash rates didn't change after bans were enacted, the study found. Crash rates compared to nearby places without handheld phone bans also didn't change.

Earlier studies by the Institute, which is funded by insurance companies, found four-fold increases in injury-related crash risk associated with cell phone use, so this result was surprising. Surveys of driver behavior following bans raised more eyebrows. They showed actual reduction in cell phone use, the Institute said.

"We're currently gathering data to figure out this mismatch," said Institute President Adrian Lund.

One possible reason, Lund suggested, is that drivers are simply switching to hands-free phone use. Still, some studies suggest that the risk of hands-free phone use while driving is little different from handheld phone use.

Institute spokesman Russ Rader suggested that laws attacking particular types of distraction may be ineffective because there are simply too many distractions available to drivers for laws dealing with just one to have much impact.

"Whatever the reason, the key finding is that crashes aren't going down where hand-held phone use has been banned," Lund points out. "This finding doesn't augur well for any safety payoff from all the new laws that ban phone use and texting while driving."
"The Republicans know we have a constitution, and they dismiss it with contempt and arrogance ... The Democrats simply act like they never heard of it ..."

Offline igahmah at work

• Global Moderator
  • Some pursue happiness, others create it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2010, 04:30:29 PM »
How about no kids in the car, IS THERE A BIGGER DISTRACTION THAN SCREAMING KIDS?
When I was young, I wanted to be older.  This is not what I expected!

Offline igahmah at work

• Global Moderator
  • Some pursue happiness, others create it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2010, 04:32:28 PM »
Seriously though, I think texting should be banned while driving.  I just see how you can safely be looking at the keyboard and screen to text and watching the road. 

Is it against the law for a car to pull off along the highway and text or make a call.  I can see a trip to St. Louis taking 5 hours when you allow for pulling off the road for phone calls.  :)
When I was young, I wanted to be older.  This is not what I expected!