Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • littlebit: Makes sense.
    July 16, 2017, 04:40:28 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Boards will stay open for a place people can find history information longer. I am not allowing anyone to sign up for now because of so many foreginers just wanting to promote their business..
    December 10, 2016, 05:10:27 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Not sure why didn't look, I may be shutting down these message boards..
    November 17, 2016, 12:42:43 AM
  • ~kathy~: rick why is the timestamp showing up a day in advance?
    September 13, 2016, 12:27:46 AM
  • Valor7: What I tried to say is that the actual money would not be there that quick. But a loan against that would work if they are willing to do that.
    August 08, 2016, 01:51:51 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Why so long before it comes online? 911 took out a loan or bond with the known guarantee payment and began building..
    August 08, 2016, 07:46:34 AM
  • Valor7: Actually no it is not, a dependable Revenue stream will not come on line until the 4th quarter of 2017 so 2018 budget will be up in the air, not quite sure what they will have. By 2019 budget all will be well.
    August 04, 2016, 09:27:17 PM
  • Valor7: You mean that tax that the Commissioners would not put on the ballot for so many years? Strange things happened when the citizens got a chance to vote on that issue.
    August 03, 2016, 06:43:06 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Back up is now available withe the new tax..
    August 03, 2016, 05:01:35 PM
  • Valor7: Thanks a lot Ladies!!
    July 29, 2016, 01:16:13 PM
  • littlebit: ((*(*&
    July 27, 2016, 03:47:52 PM
  • ~kathy~: lol
    July 15, 2016, 09:34:56 AM
  • Valor7: A guy could get killed around here while waiting for backup!
    July 13, 2016, 07:31:58 PM
  • Lepard LLC: You are not alone..
    July 13, 2016, 07:28:53 PM
  • Valor7: I just hate it when I talk to myself!!!!
    July 08, 2016, 12:54:09 PM
  • Valor7: I could have worded that better, we talked details, options, the pros and cons of each, in  order to arrive at the best ballot language to present to the voters. Hope that makes this clearer.
    April 15, 2016, 06:36:14 PM
  • Valor7: sorry about the typos still working with just one arm in action
    April 13, 2016, 01:10:42 PM
  • Valor7: Yes and no. We talked details and options until we were blue in the face but I never heardbring it over, it was always the time was not right for the issue to pass. Glad to see the time in now right and I for one shall vote yes on the ballot. I would urge all others to do the sameour county is busting at the seams crimewise and no matter how many bad guys we send off there always seems to someone to replace them. The Sheriff's Office needs the help.
    April 13, 2016, 01:08:35 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Is that true Valor? Did he ask you what you wanted?
    March 01, 2016, 04:55:37 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Gene Newkirk Rick I have waited for a Sheriff to bring it to me on what he wanted. I have pushed Mr long for a while to get it to me. He told me he was close to having or done. Now hopefully the people will get to decide on it. I spoke with Steve about this a few times.
    March 01, 2016, 04:54:54 AM
  • Kimberly: Wow- I have a new name..........
    February 23, 2016, 10:25:15 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Works on mine, improvements are being done here. I may kick back into her a lot and post but working on different technologies right now. Seeing how things interact.
    January 18, 2016, 09:01:20 AM
  • Valor7: Yes it is working. If you need a laugh the wife showed me how to correctly use the silly thing.
    January 04, 2016, 05:32:59 PM
  • Valor7: Think so, mine is trying to work but it is now user and password protected and I dont know mine
    December 17, 2015, 01:32:16 PM
  • "DJ": Is there still a working android app for the PCSD
    December 14, 2015, 08:14:53 PM

Author Topic: 911/SD Criticism in DG Letters to the Editor  (Read 12004 times)

Offline What_The?

• View Profile
911/SD Criticism in DG Letters to the Editor
« on: August 29, 2008, 11:41:13 PM »

Share/Bookmark

Fort Wood Hotel

Boards

Devils Elbow

Attractions

Sports

St. Robert

Waynesville

PC Daily

Dixon

Menu Guide

Fun Links

Homework

Crocker

Fort Wood

Swedeborg

Big Piney

Laquey

Classifieds

Restaurants

Richland

Fort  Hotels

Read this today:

On Tuesday, Aug. 26, 2008, my mother, a 97-year-old, went out onto the carport and the screen door locked behind her. Luckily, she had her portable phone in her pocket.
She called 911 and was told being she did not need an ambulance they turned her over to the sheriff’s department. That dispatcher told her because of possible liability cost, they could not help her. He did nothing, he did not offer to help a 97-year-old woman to try and call a neighbor, extended family, call the Richland police or fire department. he did nothing but nothing.
Over four hours later when I got home and walked over, there she sat. I thank God it wasn’t a 90° day and she did have a water hose out there and lawn chairs while she sat there waiting for help.
What kind of help is there at the sheriff’s department, we wonder?
Her son,
Herman Otto Trower, Jr.
Richland   
     Thoughts?       
"There are plenty of good reasons for fighting, but no good reason ever to hate without reservation, to imagine that God almighty Himself hates with you, too. Where's evil? It's that large part of every man that wants to hate without limit, that wants to hate with God on its side." - Kurt Vonnegut

Offline okie the thread killer

• View Profile
Re: 911/SD Criticism in DG Letters to the Editor
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2008, 11:58:56 PM »
Not enough information to form an opinion. If she had a phone why not call someone else? If she is mentally incapcitated, why was she alone? How much info did she give dispatch? I agree that anyone, whether it be 911 dispatch or sheriff dispatch or any city dispatch should do their best to help a 97 year old, but again, I don't have enough information to form an opinion.
I have it on good authority that the Hokey-Pokey really IS what it's all about.

Offline cowboy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2008, 12:37:06 AM »
She probably forgot to take a phone book when she went out the door.  There is nothing wrong with her mind just old and can't remember a list of phone numbers.  So someone said if you have trouble call 911 and they will help.  SURPISE!!!!!!..  I'll bet the sheriff department did howerver count this as a call for service so they can keep their numbers up.  What ever the story when you call 911 there is a reason and they should have tried to help.   

what was the liability cost to call the Richland police???????

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2008, 12:50:32 AM »
Oh, I agree, someone should have done something to help her, I just said I didn't have enough information to form an opinion.

Offline Valor7

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2008, 01:32:34 AM »
My thought is that there is another side to the story and I will try to get it out soon.
JB

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2008, 01:34:21 AM »
Just as I thought.

Offline oldcowpoke

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2008, 01:40:56 AM »
If she's inside city limits, why wasn't the call patched through to Richland Police Department? They have a good well-funded operation with plenty of manpower, since the city fathers were smart enough to put it to a vote, and the residents were smart enough to pass their LE tax.

Offline What_The?

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2008, 02:12:19 AM »
My thought is that there is another side to the story and I will try to get it out soon.
JB

My thoughts exactly.

My other thought is that the DG should spend less time trying to compete with this message board and more time vetting the letters and opinions they publish in their paper.  There is no excuse to publish one side of a story, no matter what section it appears in, without first investigating whether the truth is being told or if a slanted, one sided story is being told.

The old excuse that it is just one person's "opinion" has worn terribly thin with me.  That the DG would print a letter that accuses the SD of nonfeasance is despicable, and on the borderline of libelous.  There are far too many people with an agenda who merely want a public forum to disseminate their lies and half-truths to give them access to what was once considered a institution of the highest integrity and standards. 

During a highly contentious time, when the very safety and security of the people of Pulaski County may ride on the public's perception of the SD, the DG decides its time to paint the SD as responsible for leaving a 97 year old woman to possibly die due to a simple locked screen door.

That this grossly one sided letter was printed says everything I need to know about the journalistic integrity of the DG.  It is far more important to a struggling newspaper to garner hits on their website (see: adding comment features to their site to compete with this board) and subscribers than it is to take the time to discover if what they print is the truth.  And make no mistake, the DG is in a battle for its very life with this board. 

That they would stoop to appealing to the lowest common denominator in this county-the rumor mongers and the gossip spreaders-tells me that they aren't just desperate for survival, it tells me that they are more willing to cater to the basest nature of the people (a la The National Enquirer) than they are about telling the truth and adhering to the highest of journalistic standards.

So, DG, I once again call upon you to rise above the trash that litters the gutters of our county and offfer your readers the highest quality newspaper you can.  That or just trash the whole thing and let anyone write anything about anyone they choose, without ever considering the grievous harm that you may cause to the people of our county.
"There are plenty of good reasons for fighting, but no good reason ever to hate without reservation, to imagine that God almighty Himself hates with you, too. Where's evil? It's that large part of every man that wants to hate without limit, that wants to hate with God on its side." - Kurt Vonnegut

Offline Valor7

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2008, 02:15:17 AM »
Editor
Waynesville Daily Guide

I would like to respond to a recent letter to the editor concerning the 97-year-old lady who was locked out of her house. The call was given to the Pulaski County Sheriff’s Department as a person locked out of their house. No mention was made that she was on a cell phone and was outside. The lady never did tell our dispatcher she was outside in the heat. Our dispatcher saw the 765 prefix and assumed she was at a friend’s house and simply wanted help breaking into her home thus the comments about the liability issues and calling the fire department for help. 

If we had known she was outside alone in the heat we would have sent help to her as soon as possible. If needed we would have called out a deputy with a take home car to respond. We are not going to deliberately or indifferently leave a 97-year-old person outside in the heat or cold if we know that is the case.

My dispatcher feels badly about this incident and will be asking many more questions in the future to prevent any more situations like this.

Sincerely,

Sheriff J. B. King

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2008, 02:22:40 AM »
Thank you Sheriff.

Offline Valor7

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2008, 02:33:32 AM »
Thank you Sheriff.

Understand that I am not happy about this but I also understand how it happened. The dispatcher was one of my best and still got bit by a flawed communication.
JB

Offline Lepard LLC

• Activist
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2008, 02:34:16 AM »
I don't agree with this statement yet..

And make no mistake, the DG is in a battle for its very life with this board. 

Offline darrellmaurina

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2008, 02:35:39 AM »
I am not going to take the time to defend my decision to print this letter -- and it was mine -- here in any detail at this time. But before this takes off in an avalanche of attacks based on false or partial information, here are three quick responses:

1. We've printed letters by a local attorney and another local resident that were severely critical of former sheriff J.T. Roberts. If we had not printed this letter attacking the current sheriff, we would have been correctly accused of refusing to let J.B. King's opponents have the same access to our pages that we give his supporters.

2. I am not going to detail now what steps I took to check out this letter. Let's just say they were significant and I expect multiple additional news stories. And this incident may or may not point to more serious failings in the emergency response system. There's more to this story -- a lot more -- and unfortunately, larger papers regularly have to run articles on how people who have been taught to trust a 911 call with their lives have found that personnel or procedures, even with the best intentions, sometimes fail. Small town dispatchers are usually better because they know the area and its people, but what happened with the 97-year-old woman is far too common in larger cities.

3. As for having web comments -- that was **NOT** our decision. It's mandated by corporate people at our head offices of Gatehouse Media who have probably never visited Waynesville or St. Robert, and was certainly **NOT** an attempt to compete with this or any other website. Many other newspaper companies have mandated the same. I couldn't shut off the web comments if I wanted to, and I don't want to -- for whatever reason, our web comments are a lot more active than those of the Springfield News Leader or many other media.
Darrell Todd Maurina
Check out the Pulaski County Daily News online newspaper at
http://www.pulaskicountyweb.com
Cell: (573) 433.6733 * FAX: (573) 774-2349
Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/darrellmaurina/
Follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/darrellmaurina/

Offline cowboy

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2008, 03:19:21 AM »
If you have a 765 prefix your at a friends house???  You got to love that one.   If it was 774 what would they assume your in a swimming pool. 

This is as poor an excuse as my dog ate my homework.

It sounds like  the dispatcher never ask a single question.

And why is breaking into your own home a liability problem?

Offline crazy horse

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2008, 06:06:44 AM »
Darrell, was this our 9-1-1? If so, did she request an ambulance? I would like to know if she requested an ambulance.  Thank you

Offline darrellmaurina

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2008, 06:15:14 AM »
I'm still working on piecing together the facts, and since 911 records have some exemptions from the Sunshine Law, I am going to have to ask for a waiver of confidentiality from some of those involved, and I'm trying to avoid putting the 911 Board in a difficult situation in the middle of an election year.

However, Gary, your official position gives you greater levels of access and you may be able to get your question answered faster than I can. You have my cell; can you call me over the weekend?

Regards,
DTM

Darrell, was this our 9-1-1? If so, did she request an ambulance? I would like to know if she requested an ambulance.  Thank you
Darrell Todd Maurina
Check out the Pulaski County Daily News online newspaper at
http://www.pulaskicountyweb.com
Cell: (573) 433.6733 * FAX: (573) 774-2349
Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/darrellmaurina/
Follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/darrellmaurina/

Offline crazy horse

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2008, 07:12:32 AM »
I will talk to the director and her and I can listen to the tape. This was the first I heard about it. I will call you this weekend. Thank you Darrell.

Offline fknarmyguyretired

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2008, 03:57:45 PM »
I do not think that this is the case, I believe the DG gets a majority of its traffic form links that are posted on this site.

And I doubt that Rick is considering a print edition od the PCW.

And make no mistake, the DG is in a battle for its very life with this board. 

Offline Lepard LLC

• Activist
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2008, 04:20:40 PM »
Correct, I do not want to get into a business that is slowly dieing..

And I doubt that Rick is considering a print edition of the PCW.

Offline Eeyore

• "Never leave your partner behind"
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2008, 03:33:38 AM »
I don't think he wants to stay up all night printing all the pages it would take either --- Hmmmm I wonder just how many pages it would take to print out ALL of PCW!  Sort of like the center of a tootsie pop
    "Hey, hey, hey, hey now.  Don't be mean.  We don't have to be mean. because, remember, no matter where you go, there you are."      - The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai across The Eighth Dimension

Offline Lepard LLC

• Activist
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2008, 04:21:31 AM »
Just realised no one gives us credit for being so environmetally friendly.  :wee_fly:  Is this smilie using pot leaves to fly? Adds up..

I don't think he wants to stay up all night printing all the pages it would take either --- Hmmmm I wonder just how many pages it would take to print out ALL of PCW!  Sort of like the center of a tootsie pop

Offline littlebit

• Cunning Linguist
  • Home is what you make it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2008, 05:48:20 AM »
Just realised no one gives us credit for being so environmetally friendly.  :wee_fly:  Is this smilie using pot leaves to fly? Adds up..

I thought they were feathers at first. lol
Some people are like Slinkies... Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

I'd give my left arm to be ambidextrous...

“The truth is, everyone is going to end up hurting you. You just have to find the ones who are worth suffering for.”

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2008, 01:04:50 AM »
To get back on topic, does anyone know where the breakdown started. CH? You stated you were going to get with Michelle. I know that you can't tell us anything really, but this is a concern for all of us in the county. How explicit do we need to be when calling 911?

Offline Yankee Trader

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2008, 02:26:29 AM »
Darryl what kind of additional news stories do you expect?

Offline crazy horse

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2008, 04:13:18 AM »
Okie, it is our policy that when someone requests an ambulance, they get an ambulance...period. It is NO dispatchers decision to determine if or not. Just send the ambulance. I want to be fair, I do not know if this occurred, but that second paragraph by the lady (...she called 9-1-1 and was told she did not need an ambulance), is what I will ask Michelle to check. Michelle and I can listen to the tape. This must never happen. Again, my main concern is did the 97 year-old lady ask for an ambulance???
   Also, we would have seen to it she was ok and helped her. EMS is not ONLY about ambulance, we check on and help people all the time. We could have got her in a cool ambulance, gave her some water and made sure she is ok while finding family. This is a disgrace and must not happen. We will not tolerate any dispatcher denying someone an ambulance. I do not believe Michelle will either.
Gary

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2008, 01:15:51 PM »
I don't want to lay any blame here, I was just curious I guess as how it came about. I know how
good your crew is.

Offline Nanna

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2008, 02:06:20 PM »
I would like to respond to a recent letter to the editor concerning the 97-year-old lady who was locked out of her house. The call was given to the Pulaski County Sheriff’s Department as a person locked out of their house. No mention was made that she was on a cell phone and was outside. The lady never did tell our dispatcher she was outside in the heat. Our dispatcher saw the 765 prefix and assumed she was at a friend’s house and simply wanted help breaking into her home thus the comments about the liability issues and calling the fire department for help. 

If we had known she was outside alone in the heat we would have sent help to her as soon as possible. If needed we would have called out a deputy with a take home car to respond. We are not going to deliberately or indifferently leave a 97-year-old person outside in the heat or cold if we know that is the case.

Locked OUT of her house should have been the first clue that she was outside.  I do agree she should call a family member  but I also don't understand that dispatch thought she was at a friends house because of the 765 prefix.  Sometimes it is better not to post anything than to say things like this.

Offline mandie_81z

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2008, 02:08:27 PM »
It's my understanding as well that it wasn't a cell phone but her cordless house phone. My grandma carries hers around all the time and trust me its saved her many times.

Offline Law101

• Global Moderator
  • Big Piney Community Activist
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2008, 02:09:36 PM »
I also am concerned about the truth of this story.  I know that Michelle and Gary take their responsibilities very seriously.  911 was recently out in the Big Piney area, using a GPS system to get accurate map locations and roads, to insure that they could route EMS properly to this area.  I know a lot of time, effort, and expense went into this proceedure.

Offline crazy horse

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2008, 02:17:56 PM »
Nanna, I agree, someone dropped the ball and that must not happen. Some department, fire, EMS or police should have responded and assessed the situation "with eyes on the lady" not a dispatcher by telephone.

Thank you Okie & Law101, we do try hard. I know Michelle will be as concerned about this as we are. I will ask her today to listen to the tape. On another note, I have a team deployed to Gustav, they just completed a rescue mission at 4 something this am. I am trying to check on them. Thought & prayers for them is appreciated.

Gary