Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • littlebit: Makes sense.
    July 16, 2017, 04:40:28 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Boards will stay open for a place people can find history information longer. I am not allowing anyone to sign up for now because of so many foreginers just wanting to promote their business..
    December 10, 2016, 05:10:27 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Not sure why didn't look, I may be shutting down these message boards..
    November 17, 2016, 12:42:43 AM
  • ~kathy~: rick why is the timestamp showing up a day in advance?
    September 13, 2016, 12:27:46 AM
  • Valor7: What I tried to say is that the actual money would not be there that quick. But a loan against that would work if they are willing to do that.
    August 08, 2016, 01:51:51 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Why so long before it comes online? 911 took out a loan or bond with the known guarantee payment and began building..
    August 08, 2016, 07:46:34 AM
  • Valor7: Actually no it is not, a dependable Revenue stream will not come on line until the 4th quarter of 2017 so 2018 budget will be up in the air, not quite sure what they will have. By 2019 budget all will be well.
    August 04, 2016, 09:27:17 PM
  • Valor7: You mean that tax that the Commissioners would not put on the ballot for so many years? Strange things happened when the citizens got a chance to vote on that issue.
    August 03, 2016, 06:43:06 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Back up is now available withe the new tax..
    August 03, 2016, 05:01:35 PM
  • Valor7: Thanks a lot Ladies!!
    July 29, 2016, 01:16:13 PM
  • littlebit: ((*(*&
    July 27, 2016, 03:47:52 PM
  • ~kathy~: lol
    July 15, 2016, 09:34:56 AM
  • Valor7: A guy could get killed around here while waiting for backup!
    July 13, 2016, 07:31:58 PM
  • Lepard LLC: You are not alone..
    July 13, 2016, 07:28:53 PM
  • Valor7: I just hate it when I talk to myself!!!!
    July 08, 2016, 12:54:09 PM
  • Valor7: I could have worded that better, we talked details, options, the pros and cons of each, in  order to arrive at the best ballot language to present to the voters. Hope that makes this clearer.
    April 15, 2016, 06:36:14 PM
  • Valor7: sorry about the typos still working with just one arm in action
    April 13, 2016, 01:10:42 PM
  • Valor7: Yes and no. We talked details and options until we were blue in the face but I never heardbring it over, it was always the time was not right for the issue to pass. Glad to see the time in now right and I for one shall vote yes on the ballot. I would urge all others to do the sameour county is busting at the seams crimewise and no matter how many bad guys we send off there always seems to someone to replace them. The Sheriff's Office needs the help.
    April 13, 2016, 01:08:35 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Is that true Valor? Did he ask you what you wanted?
    March 01, 2016, 04:55:37 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Gene Newkirk Rick I have waited for a Sheriff to bring it to me on what he wanted. I have pushed Mr long for a while to get it to me. He told me he was close to having or done. Now hopefully the people will get to decide on it. I spoke with Steve about this a few times.
    March 01, 2016, 04:54:54 AM
  • Kimberly: Wow- I have a new name..........
    February 23, 2016, 10:25:15 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Works on mine, improvements are being done here. I may kick back into her a lot and post but working on different technologies right now. Seeing how things interact.
    January 18, 2016, 09:01:20 AM
  • Valor7: Yes it is working. If you need a laugh the wife showed me how to correctly use the silly thing.
    January 04, 2016, 05:32:59 PM
  • Valor7: Think so, mine is trying to work but it is now user and password protected and I dont know mine
    December 17, 2015, 01:32:16 PM
  • "DJ": Is there still a working android app for the PCSD
    December 14, 2015, 08:14:53 PM

Author Topic: 911/SD Criticism in DG Letters to the Editor  (Read 12040 times)

Offline cowboy

• View Profile
Re: 911/SD Criticism in DG Letters to the Editor
« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2008, 04:13:02 PM »

Share/Bookmark

Fort Wood Hotel

Boards

Devils Elbow

Attractions

Sports

St. Robert

Waynesville

PC Daily

Dixon

Menu Guide

Fun Links

Homework

Crocker

Fort Wood

Swedeborg

Big Piney

Laquey

Classifieds

Restaurants

Richland

Fort  Hotels

The call was given to the Pulaski County Sheriff’s Department as a person locked out of their house. No mention was made that she was on a cell phone and was outside. The lady never did tell our dispatcher she was outside in the heat.   

If we had known she was outside alone in the heat we would have sent help to her as soon as possible. If needed we would have called out a deputy with a take home car to respond.
[/s]

The call came in that she was outside and everything after that says if you would have known she was outside.   This makes no sense at all if they told you she was outside why you didn't believe them?

Offline Nanna

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2008, 04:56:15 PM »
Crazy Horse please don't think I am being critical and disipatch - ems- fire etc as  I respect all of them and the job they do.  I was talking about Mr. King making the statement they thought she was at a friends house and didn't know she was outside of her house.  Locked out of her house means she is outside.  Again, I have a lot of respect for all EMS.

Offline cowboy

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2008, 05:42:38 PM »
Quote  On Tuesday, Aug. 26, 2008, my mother, a 97-year-old, went out onto the carport and the screen door (duh)locked behind her. Luckily, she had her portable phone (not a cell phone)in her pocket.
She called 911 and was told being she did not need an ambulance they turned her over to the sheriff’s department. That dispatcher told her because of possible liability cost, they could not help her. He did nothing, he did not offer to help a 97-year-old woman to try and call a neighbor, extended family, call the Richland police or fire department. he did nothing but nothing.
Over four hours later when I got home and walked over, there she sat. I thank God it wasn’t a 90° day and she did have a water hose out there and lawn chairs while she sat there waiting for help.
What kind of help is there at the sheriff’s department, we wonder?
Her son,
Herman Otto Trower, Jr.
Richland  
 Does no one think her son should not take some responsibility for this problem?
 leaving a 97 yr.old woman by herself is not very responsible if you ask me.
 And folks it was a screen door, cut the screen DUH!!
 Mr. Trower put a key on a string around her neck with a and a swiss army knife and this will help the next time this happens
  :shame: ^^^%%%           

My be the screen door is actually a storm door with the glass window down --DUH---  so your knife wont work and it has no key --DUH--.  But when all else fails blame the victim.

Offline ♥♣ ~Maynard~♣♥

• GOING GREEN: Save a tree,eat a beaver.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2008, 05:53:03 PM »
And cowboy give back my karma and i'll give back the one i just took from you.
 &^&&(

Remember I'm a nudist so when you respond to one of my post yor talking to a naked man  :)

For entertainment purposes only. Any resemblance to real persons living or dead is purely coincidental.

Offline msheek

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 02, 2008, 06:27:30 PM »
Come on, nobody knows what was actually said exactly on the phone.  You can say anything you want, but you don't know what was said by either person on the phone, nor do you know what else was going on in the office when this lady talked to the dispatch, either at 911 or the SD.  I believe if either on of the dispatchers had been told she was outside, NOT just locked out of her house, then they would have gotten her some kind of help.  Just because I say I'm locked out of my house and I am calling you doesn't mean I am in any danger, especially if I am calling you from a residential number and not a cell number.  If you recieve a call from a house phone I would assume that you walked over to a neighbors to use the phone and I am sure that is what the dispatchers did as well
Crazy Horse please don't think I am being critical and disipatch - ems- fire etc as  I respect all of them and the job they do.  I was talking about Mr. King making the statement they thought she was at a friends house and didn't know she was outside of her house.  Locked out of her house means she is outside.  Again, I have a lot of respect for all EMS.
If anybody knows MAYNARDS given name please PM me with it.  I will not tell who tells me!

Michael Sheek

Offline mandie_81z

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 02, 2008, 06:31:02 PM »
I think the point is that people calling 911 need to be aware that they need to be specific but also that the dispatchers need to make sure they are getting all the information. Based on my knowledge of how my grandma carries her phone everywhere, I would assume she was still at home, but someone without that knowledge would assume as msheek does. Both sides need to learn something from this.

Offline What_The?

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 02, 2008, 06:43:42 PM »
Blame game aside, I hope that the 97 year old woman's family has now put measures into place to help prevent this sort of thing from happening
in the future.  She should have other people to contact for non-emergency help, such as a neighbor or friend.

I would say her son, but surely she knows how to contact her son and tried...
"There are plenty of good reasons for fighting, but no good reason ever to hate without reservation, to imagine that God almighty Himself hates with you, too. Where's evil? It's that large part of every man that wants to hate without limit, that wants to hate with God on its side." - Kurt Vonnegut

Offline crazy horse

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 02, 2008, 11:15:51 PM »
The lady did not ask for an ambulance, and according to Michelle the 9-1-1 dispatcher asked her if she needed one and the lady said no. It appears the 9-1-1 dispatcher did a very good job and tryed to follow up. 

Offline okie the thread killer

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 03, 2008, 01:52:02 AM »
That was the way I understood the letter, that the lady said she did not need an ambulance, but I just wondered.
I have it on good authority that the Hokey-Pokey really IS what it's all about.

Offline ~kathy~

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 03, 2008, 02:20:53 AM »
the only question i have is, if she had a phone on her why didnt she just call her son instead of 911?
Go ahead and blame me....Everyone else does

Offline concerned

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 12, 2008, 05:57:32 PM »
Sounds to me like 911 should have kept the two good dispatchers that they let go at the beginning of the year.  I just hope that those two really good dispatchers are able to find other work without undue hardships placed on them from unfair practices (politicking and backstabbing) and they get a second chance at a career dispatching.

Offline Eeyore

• "Never leave your partner behind"
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 12, 2008, 07:24:21 PM »
I have the same question --- Why did she not call her son, or a friend?
the only question i have is, if she had a phone on her why didnt she just call her son instead of 911?
    "Hey, hey, hey, hey now.  Don't be mean.  We don't have to be mean. because, remember, no matter where you go, there you are."      - The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai across The Eighth Dimension

Offline Just_a_Biker

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 16, 2008, 03:36:09 PM »
I have the same question --- Why did she not call her son, or a friend?

Maybe she tried and couldn't get a hold of anyone.  Stop blaming the family; the family ensured she had a phone that she could carry with her WHEREVER she went, so she could call for help if needed.  Sorry, I support LE, EMS, 911, etc., but this was a HUGE ball dropped by more than one person...
The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. Cicero - 55 BC, Rome

Offline Eeyore

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 16, 2008, 03:41:22 PM »
I was not blaming the family at all - Just curious is all.
Maybe she tried and couldn't get a hold of anyone.  Stop blaming the family; the family ensured she had a phone that she could carry with her WHEREVER she went, so she could call for help if needed.  Sorry, I support LE, EMS, 911, etc., but this was a HUGE ball dropped by more than one person...
    "Hey, hey, hey, hey now.  Don't be mean.  We don't have to be mean. because, remember, no matter where you go, there you are."      - The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai across The Eighth Dimension

Offline Just_a_Biker

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 16, 2008, 04:07:06 PM »
I was not blaming the family at all - Just curious is all.

I know I quoted you Eeyore, but my comment was more directed at everyone else that is outright blaming the family; sorry about that.
The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. Cicero - 55 BC, Rome

Offline Eeyore

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 16, 2008, 04:11:22 PM »
Not a prob :)  I know that seasoned individuals can be stubborn about calling for help.  For so many years they have learned to do it on their own and taught their children the same thing -- but when they need help. . .   My mother would call my sister at the drop of a hat (30 mins away) and she'd have to call the neighbor or 911 --- but we are working on that.

Offline MBRwife

• ME LUV & MISS YA CRAZYHORSE!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 16, 2008, 08:06:22 PM »
I am the supervisor of the daughter in law to this 97 year old woman, so may I interject just a little.  For the most part this woman takes pretty good care of herself.  She is a tad bit forgetful but the family has taken many painful steps to try and make her life as good, convenient, and safe as possible.  One hospital gave this woman one of those blue bag things that they put around your neck when you have a heart monitor on--for her to carry her handle held phone in and the family has instructed her to never go outside without that phone.  This woman did not remember any phone number that day except 911 therefore she couldn't call anyone else.  Yes, the dispatcher dropped the ball on this one.  Anyone  with good sense could tell by her voice she was old, whether she was 97 or 57 isn't the point.  And what does it matter how old or young a person is, if they are locked out of there house something should have been done. More questions should have been asked and a little thought put into what the issue could have been.  But this dispatcher didn't seem to be concerned enough to do anything.  I understand the anger of the family.  They never ask anyone for help caring for 2 elderly people and the first time help is needed we fail them.  So let them be angry; suck it up; admit wrong was wrong, train your staff better and move on.  Let's be adults here people.  It's okay to admit you screwed up.  I get angry reading this crap where people are trying to defend their screw ups.  And just in case anyone is wondering; this woman is ALWAYS given the best care by her family members.
...If any man desire to be first, the same shall be last of all, and servant of all.  Mark 9:35

Offline ♥♣ ~Maynard~♣♥

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 16, 2008, 08:26:43 PM »
As if i  am going to believe what you say.
 I'll bet your in St. Louis right now giving Sabrina a massage after a hard day of shopping.
 Did she feed little Maynard before she left? :poke:
 :NANANANA:
Remember I'm a nudist so when you respond to one of my post yor talking to a naked man  :)

For entertainment purposes only. Any resemblance to real persons living or dead is purely coincidental.

Offline MBRwife

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 16, 2008, 08:32:05 PM »
OMG is that really you?  No I'm not doing Massage anymore; I'm a Realtor/Property Manager and going to college at night.  Massage was just might little break in life.

IS THAT REALLY YOU????
...If any man desire to be first, the same shall be last of all, and servant of all.  Mark 9:35

Offline ♥♣ ~Maynard~♣♥

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 16, 2008, 08:50:03 PM »
OMG is that really you?  No I'm not doing Massage anymore; I'm a Realtor/Property Manager and going to college at night.  Massage was just might little break in life.

IS THAT REALLY YOU? ???
Is that really who?
 If your asking if i am Maynard the answer is NO he passed away a while back but  he left me his play book in his will and asked me to carry on his legacy.
 But before he passed he had seen a VW and all the doors were open on it and it reminded him of you :poke:   :o
 :th_th36_1_15:

Offline MBRwife

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 16, 2008, 08:51:47 PM »
Is that really who?
 If your asking if i am Maynard the answer is NO he passed away a while back but  he left me his play book in his will and asked me to carry on his legacy.
 But before he passed he had seen a VW and all the doors were open on it and it reminded him of you :poke:   :o
 :th_th36_1_15:

OH crap; I know who you are.  Dang you don't forget anything.  Did he really pass away?

Offline MBRwife

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 16, 2008, 08:52:45 PM »
OH crap; I know who you are.  Dang you don't forget anything.  Did he really pass away?

And don't you have a real job or something?  LOL

Offline ♥♣ ~Maynard~♣♥

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 16, 2008, 08:56:41 PM »
And don't you have a real job or something?  LOL
This is my job!! Thank you.
 And i also practice Law in my spare time. :shame:

Offline cowboy

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 16, 2008, 10:26:26 PM »
Good response.   I'm glad you know B and D and defended their actions.   This woman has lived alone, next door for a long time and I know she is better off there than in a local caring home.

I am the supervisor of the daughter in law to this 97 year old woman, so may I interject just a little.  For the most part this woman takes pretty good care of herself.  She is a tad bit forgetful but the family has taken many painful steps to try and make her life as good, convenient, and safe as possible.  ................................................. ............

Offline Eeyore

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 16, 2008, 11:18:48 PM »
I have no doubt of this - We do the same for my mother.  She now has a necklace with a 'button' on it in case she needs medical help.  Sorta like that "I've fallen and I can't get up " commercial on TV.  Not for being locked out, but if she is in need of an ambulance, one button push will do it.  Still she thinks 2 or 3 times before pushing it -- Does not want to get "those poor amublance fellas" out of bed.  We do the best we can with our parents, but sometimes things just go wrong.
  And just in case anyone is wondering; this woman is ALWAYS given the best care by her family members.

Offline Eeyore

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 16, 2008, 11:20:35 PM »
 ((*(*& NO he did not - and if you know who he is, you know that ;)  He is misbehavin though --- making people think he died like that. . .  :shame:

Offline crazy horse

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 17, 2008, 05:15:44 AM »
Only one person was in error, the sheriff's dispatcher. The dispatcher failed to send someone to check on the lady.

Offline Lepard LLC

• Activist
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 17, 2008, 05:17:57 AM »
Was the dispatcher also responsible for the content of the information given from the 911 operator?

Or did the dispatcher speak directly to the elderly lady?

Only one person was in error, the sheriff's dispatcher. The dispatcher failed to send someone to check on the lady.

Offline crazy horse

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 17, 2008, 05:28:10 AM »
Doesn't matter Rick, the dispatcher should have sent a deputy to see the woman.

Offline cowboy

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 17, 2008, 11:17:08 AM »
Was the dispatcher also responsible for the content of the information given from the 911 operator?

Or did the dispatcher speak directly to the elderly lady?

According to original post and JB reply #8 she spoke to sheriff dispatcher