Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • littlebit: Makes sense.
    July 16, 2017, 04:40:28 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Boards will stay open for a place people can find history information longer. I am not allowing anyone to sign up for now because of so many foreginers just wanting to promote their business..
    December 10, 2016, 05:10:27 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Not sure why didn't look, I may be shutting down these message boards..
    November 17, 2016, 12:42:43 AM
  • ~kathy~: rick why is the timestamp showing up a day in advance?
    September 13, 2016, 12:27:46 AM
  • Valor7: What I tried to say is that the actual money would not be there that quick. But a loan against that would work if they are willing to do that.
    August 08, 2016, 01:51:51 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Why so long before it comes online? 911 took out a loan or bond with the known guarantee payment and began building..
    August 08, 2016, 07:46:34 AM
  • Valor7: Actually no it is not, a dependable Revenue stream will not come on line until the 4th quarter of 2017 so 2018 budget will be up in the air, not quite sure what they will have. By 2019 budget all will be well.
    August 04, 2016, 09:27:17 PM
  • Valor7: You mean that tax that the Commissioners would not put on the ballot for so many years? Strange things happened when the citizens got a chance to vote on that issue.
    August 03, 2016, 06:43:06 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Back up is now available withe the new tax..
    August 03, 2016, 05:01:35 PM
  • Valor7: Thanks a lot Ladies!!
    July 29, 2016, 01:16:13 PM
  • littlebit: ((*(*&
    July 27, 2016, 03:47:52 PM
  • ~kathy~: lol
    July 15, 2016, 09:34:56 AM
  • Valor7: A guy could get killed around here while waiting for backup!
    July 13, 2016, 07:31:58 PM
  • Lepard LLC: You are not alone..
    July 13, 2016, 07:28:53 PM
  • Valor7: I just hate it when I talk to myself!!!!
    July 08, 2016, 12:54:09 PM
  • Valor7: I could have worded that better, we talked details, options, the pros and cons of each, in  order to arrive at the best ballot language to present to the voters. Hope that makes this clearer.
    April 15, 2016, 06:36:14 PM
  • Valor7: sorry about the typos still working with just one arm in action
    April 13, 2016, 01:10:42 PM
  • Valor7: Yes and no. We talked details and options until we were blue in the face but I never heardbring it over, it was always the time was not right for the issue to pass. Glad to see the time in now right and I for one shall vote yes on the ballot. I would urge all others to do the sameour county is busting at the seams crimewise and no matter how many bad guys we send off there always seems to someone to replace them. The Sheriff's Office needs the help.
    April 13, 2016, 01:08:35 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Is that true Valor? Did he ask you what you wanted?
    March 01, 2016, 04:55:37 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Gene Newkirk Rick I have waited for a Sheriff to bring it to me on what he wanted. I have pushed Mr long for a while to get it to me. He told me he was close to having or done. Now hopefully the people will get to decide on it. I spoke with Steve about this a few times.
    March 01, 2016, 04:54:54 AM
  • Kimberly: Wow- I have a new name..........
    February 23, 2016, 10:25:15 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Works on mine, improvements are being done here. I may kick back into her a lot and post but working on different technologies right now. Seeing how things interact.
    January 18, 2016, 09:01:20 AM
  • Valor7: Yes it is working. If you need a laugh the wife showed me how to correctly use the silly thing.
    January 04, 2016, 05:32:59 PM
  • Valor7: Think so, mine is trying to work but it is now user and password protected and I dont know mine
    December 17, 2015, 01:32:16 PM
  • "DJ": Is there still a working android app for the PCSD
    December 14, 2015, 08:14:53 PM

Author Topic: What is Wicca?  (Read 107175 times)

Offline silvanusmoonspirit

• Go to your profile and put something here.
    • View Profile
What is Wicca?
« on: September 04, 2008, 07:52:31 PM »

Share/Bookmark

Merry Meet and Merry Part, Bright the cheek and warm the heart!
Blessed Be!

Offline angelamo

• View Profile
Re: What is Wicca?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2008, 08:16:21 PM »
Thank you for posting this! It's nice to have someone representing a non-Christian religion on the board! :)

Offline fish

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2008, 02:37:57 AM »
although I don't agree with the wiccans(big surprise), I do find their religion interesting. they have also been the peaceful type(unlike those damn atheists LOL LOL ). or maybe I have just been around the peaceful ones.

Offline I have no username

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2008, 03:23:12 AM »
A religion of peace though, not of self indulgence.  I still havent found my niche.  But I lean towards Christianity for the most part.  Thank you for sharing.  Without education of people's beliefs, misconceptions of spells etc can be demised by the title alone.  I always find it interesting and appreciate when people share information about their religion.  I'd rather be informed than lectured about what I am doing wrong.

+Karma to you.
Μολὼν λαβέ

If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom.
Dwight D. Eisenhower

Offline mark

• http://www.gayalpinesurvival.com/
  • Proud Father
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2008, 04:33:21 AM »
I think your  followers are pervs hoping for an orgy.
We are not human beings having a spiritual experience.
We are spiritual beings having a human experience.
~Teilhard de Chardin

Offline prE4chEr

• Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2008, 04:36:31 AM »
Wiccans do not have special powers.  They do not fly around on brooms, nor do they worship the devil or eat babies.

I don't know about you, but I have Wiccan friends that think they have special powers. Not flying or anything, but they "practice magic".
(\__/)
(o.O )
(> < )  Look into my evil eye. Bunny needs brains.....BRAINS!!!

"All that we see or seem
Is but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe

Offline prE4chEr

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2008, 04:37:21 AM »

Classic mark.  ***(**&
(\__/)
(o.O )

"All that we see or seem

Offline ♥♣ ~Maynard~♣♥

• GOING GREEN: Save a tree,eat a beaver.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2008, 04:45:15 AM »
Your starting to get that green glow again Mark, careful or you will get a big wart on your nose :yahoo: :th_thmuwahaha-1:
Remember I'm a nudist so when you respond to one of my post yor talking to a naked man  :)

For entertainment purposes only. Any resemblance to real persons living or dead is purely coincidental.

Offline prE4chEr

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2008, 04:52:15 AM »
She turned mark into a newt.
(\__/)
(o.O )

"All that we see or seem

Offline shadylane

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2008, 11:49:03 AM »

Mark sex is a wonderful thing, Next time give it a try when your not alone.
"The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?"

Offline Strictly Confidential

• Help! Coyote turned me into a little fella!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2008, 01:48:54 PM »
From Wiki:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wicca

Wicca (IPA: /ˈwɪkə/) is a pagan, nature-based religion popularised in 1954 by Gerald Gardner, a retired British civil servant, who at the time called it Witchcraft and its adherents "the Wica".[1] He said that the religion, of which he was an initiate, was a modern survival of an old witchcraft mystery religion that had existed in secret for hundreds of years, originating in the pre-Christian paganism of Europe.[1] The veracity of Gardner's statements cannot be independently proven, however, and it is possible that Wiccan theology began to be compiled no earlier than the 1920s.[2]
Various Wiccan lineages or 'traditions' have since branched out of that popularised by Gardner, which came to be called Gardnerian Wicca. Each lineage has distinctive rituals, oral traditions and liturgy, and most remain secretive and require that members be initiated. Other traditions have also formed independently of Gardnerian lineage, including a growing movement of Eclectic Wiccans who do not believe that any doctrine or traditional initiation is necessary in order to practice Wicca.[3]
The term 'Wicca' has somewhat different usage. Traditionally 'Wicca' referred only to initiatory witchcraft in the lineage of Gerald Gardner and the New Forest coven (e.g. Gardnerian and Alexandrian Wicca), sometimes referred to as British Traditional Wicca in North America. More recently the term 'Wicca' has become more inclusive and encompasses a number of traditions inspired by but independent of that lineage.[4]

Wicca uses the Pentagram within a circle as a symbol of faith.

Core concepts

Beliefs  Theology   Main article: Wiccan views of divinity Although Wiccan views on theology vary, they traditionally believe in some form of deity or deities. For most Wiccans, Wicca is a duotheistic religion worshipping a God and a Goddess, who are seen as complementary polarities, and "embodiments of a life-force manifest in nature."[8] They are sometimes symbolised as the Sun and Moon, and from her lunar associations the Goddess becomes a Triple Goddess with aspects of "Maiden", "Mother" and "Crone". Some Wiccans see the Goddess as pre-eminent, since she contains and conceives all; the God is the spark of life and inspiration within her, simultaneously her lover and her child. This is reflected in the traditional structure of the coven.[9] In some traditions, notably feminist Dianic Wicca, the Goddess is seen as complete unto herself, and the God is not worshipped at all.     The Greco-Roman goddess Selene, one of many goddesses equated with the Wiccan Goddess.     The antlered god from the Gundestrup cauldron, often identified with Cernunnos and the Horned God of Wicca. According to Gardner, the gods of Wicca are ancient gods of the British Isles: a Horned God and a Great Mother goddess.[10] This duotheism is often extended into a kind of polytheism by the belief that the gods and goddesses of all cultures are aspects of this pair (or of the Goddess alone). Others hold the various gods and goddesses to be separate and distinct. Still others do not believe in the gods as real personalities, but see them as archetypes or thoughtforms.[11] Janet Farrar and Gavin Bone have observed that Wicca is becoming more polytheistic as it matures, and embracing a more traditional pagan world-view.[12]

Gardner stated that a being higher than the God and the Goddess is recognised by the witches as the Prime Mover, but remains unknowable.[13] Patricia Crowther has called this supreme godhead Dryghten,[14] and Scott Cunningham called it "The One".[15] This pantheistic or panentheistic view of God shares similarities with beliefs such as the Hindu Brahman.
Wicca is essentially an immanent religion, and for some Wiccans, this idea also involves elements of animism. A key belief in Wicca is that the Goddess and the God (or the goddesses and gods) are able to manifest in personal form, most importantly through the bodies of Priestesses and Priests via the rituals of Drawing down the Moon or Drawing down the Sun.  Afterlife  Beliefs in the afterlife vary among Wiccans, although reincarnation is a traditional Wiccan teaching. Raymond Buckland holds that a soul reincarnates into the same species over many lives in order to learn and advance one's soul,[16] but this belief is not universal.  Magic  Wiccans believe in magic that can be manipulated through the form of witchcraft or sorcery. Wiccans cast spells through the form of ritual practises (which are explained in far more detail below).
 [edit] Morality   Main articles: Wiccan morality and Homosexuality and Wicca Wiccan morality is largely based on the Wiccan Rede: An it harm none, do what ye will, which is usually interpreted as a declaration of the freedom to act, along with the necessity of taking responsibility for what follows from one's actions and minimising harm to oneself and others.[17] Another common element of Wiccan morality is the Law of Threefold Return which holds that whatever benevolent or malevolent actions a person performs will return to that person with triple force.[18]
"All that is necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for enough good men to do nothing." --Edmund Burke

Offline pctiger_wife

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2008, 01:52:52 PM »
Yes, that's true.  But I have heard of some that claim to be Wiccan that *do* practice this.  Obviously their beliefs are a little misguided.

Wiccans do not gather under full moons and have sexual orgies.

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2008, 03:14:50 PM »

I don't know about you, but I have Wiccan friends that think they have special powers. Not flying or anything, but they "practice magic".

Let me explain the difference between magic and magick.  Magic is an illusion created by a magician.  Magick is the ability to bend and shape energy.  Magick for a Wiccan, is the ability to create change through the ability to shape energy. 

It is the same concept as a group of Christians praying for a miracle to happen...and all of a sudden a miracle happens.  The miracle happened because they focused their energy on it and was able to change/shape the energy.

This is what Wiccans do when they perform a spell.  It is about focusing energy, shaping it, an sending it out to the universe to manifest.  It is the same concept as positive thinking.  If you think positive, positive things will happen.  It doesn't require special powers.
Blessed Be!

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2008, 03:23:09 PM »
Yes, that's true.  But I have heard of some that claim to be Wiccan that *do* practice this.  Obviously their beliefs are a little misguided.

There are Wiccans that practice that, but there are also Christians that practice it.  I would have to agree with you that they are highly misguided.  As a teacher of the Craft, it is actually one of the things I teach my students not to get involved with and if anyone ever tells them it is a requirement that they need to leave immediately.  I do not agree with it, but, as this is a free country, people are allowed to make their own decisions.
Blessed Be!

Offline pctiger_wife

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2008, 03:27:50 PM »
Oh trust me, I know.  I practiced actively for quite a while, and I had several friends that did as well.  That's why I put in the other post that Wicca is as varied as skin tone. ;)  Then again, most religions are!

There are Wiccans that practice that, but there are also Christians that practice it.  I would have to agree with you that they are highly misguided. 

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2008, 05:58:50 PM »
13 Goals of a Witch
(this was borrowed from http://www.smokylake.com/Christy/bosal/13goals.htm)
&nbsp;
1. Know Yourself - According to the Tao Te Ching: "Knowing others is intelligence; knowing yourself is true wisdom.". Unfortunately knowing oneself isn't always easy.&nbsp;
2. Know Your Craft (Wicca) - Read the writings of more than one witch, and try to find other witches to talk to. There isn't a standard agreement among witches as to what wicca is, so my advice would be to learn from as many different people or sources possible.&nbsp;
3. Learn - Learn everything you can. Grasp every chance you can to learn from anyone and anything. The world is such a wonderful marvelous place, and there's always so much to learn from it...&nbsp;
4. Apply Knowledge with Wisdom - It has been said that love without wisdom is no different from hate in its results. Likewise knowledge without wisdom is no different than ignorance.
5. Achieve Balance - An instrument does not work properly if the strings are too tight or too loose. Likewise all things must be kept in balance.
6. Keep Your Words in Good Order - One of Starhawk's books talks about how important honesty is to a witch. If a Witch makes a habit of lying, then how can the words of her spell be true? Yet keeping your words in good order can go beyond just not lying. Your thoughts, words, and actions are all tied together and together they shape your life. Your words should reflect the type of person you want to be and the type of life you want to live.
7. Keep Your Thoughts in Good Order - The following is a poem from the sayings of the Buddha:
The thought manifests as the word;
The word manifests as the deed;
The deed develops into the habit;
And habit hardens into character;
So watch the thought and its ways with care,
And let it spring from love
Born out of concern for all beings...As the shadow follows the body,
As we think, so we become.
&nbsp;   The best book on this topic that I have read is the book "Awakening the Buddha Within" by Lama Surya Das, Buddhism and Wicca have an amount in common, and it is wise I think to learn from a variety of sources.
8. Celebrate Life - I don't think that "celebrating life" means being happy all the time and there's certainly no use being upset with oneself for not being happy. Rather I think celebrating life means being aware of life, not letting it pass you by unnoticed, and taking time to really experience. Feel the world. Know it is yours to explore. Explore it.
9. Attune with the cycles of the Earth - somewhere I have heard that cats are healthier if they are permitted some time outdoors to connect with nature. Chances are humans are too. We live in a world surrounded by metals, plastics and cements, and every once in a while its important to remind yourself where we came from.
&nbsp;   Yet attuning yourself with the cycles of the Earth is more than just spending time with nature. It's also accepting change. Everything on Earth is always changing. Living organisms are growing, dying and decaying. The wind and water are always moving. Rocks are wearing down into dust and being built anew. Everything is changing. Your life will change.
&nbsp;   Recognizing the changing of the seasons and the turning of the moon allows us to both re-connect with nature and accept change within our own lives.
10. Breath and eat correctly - most people (including myself) don't chew their food enough or get enough nutrients. Nor, as my voice instructor keeps reminding me, do we all breath properly. Time and effort put into learning these is supposed to pay off in health benefits. Taking care of your body is also a way of loving yourself and loving yourself is an important thing before being able to love others.
11. Exercise the Body  - a person's spiritual life cannot be entirely seperate from the rest of one's life. A person cannot say he loves himself while denying the needs and health requirements of his body. Rather by taking care of your body you can show your (healthy) love for yourself.
12. Meditate - quiet time is invaluable.
13. Honor the Goddess and God - Live a life that you can be proud of.

Blessed Be!

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2008, 06:01:11 PM »
The Law

Bide the Wiccan Law ye must,
In perfect love and perfect trust.
Eight words the Wiccan Rede fulfill:
An' ye harm none, do what ye will.

What ye send forth comes back to thee
So ever mind the law of three.
Follow this with mind and heart,
Merry ye meet, and merry ye part.

Blessed Be!

Offline ♥♣ ~Maynard~♣♥

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2008, 06:28:30 PM »
The Law

Bide the Wiccan Law ye must,
In perfect love and perfect trust.
Eight words the Wiccan Rede fulfill:
An' ye harm none, do what ye will.

What ye send forth comes back to thee
So ever mind the law of three.
Follow this with mind and heart,
Merry ye meet, and merry ye part.
OMG i just read that 3 times out loud have i just become a Wiccan?? ::)
 If so I shall hence forth be known as JockTurismoSunshine
Remember I'm a nudist so when you respond to one of my post yor talking to a naked man  :)

For entertainment purposes only. Any resemblance to real persons living or dead is purely coincidental.

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2008, 06:45:57 PM »
LOL...I don't really think that is why I posted that..  It was actually intended to show how much emphasis Wiccans place on the law of three.  Combine that with the 13 Goals of a Witch and the Wiccan Rede, live by it day by day and then you might be a Wiccan.  Reading just makes you more educated on the subject at hand, whether it is to yourself or outloud.
OMG i just read that 3 times out loud have i just become a Wiccan?? ::)
 If so I shall hence forth be known as JockTurismoSunshine
Blessed Be!

Offline mark

• http://www.gayalpinesurvival.com/
  • Proud Father
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2008, 09:12:36 PM »
Where does a Wiccan go when he or she dies?
We are not human beings having a spiritual experience.
We are spiritual beings having a human experience.
~Teilhard de Chardin

Offline Coyote

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2008, 09:19:23 PM »
 :karma: lol         

They go to see the Wizard.

....and that night as the moon crossed the mountain, one more Coyote was heard...

Offline dream

• It may be those who do most, dream most.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2008, 09:21:15 PM »
The wonderful Wizard of Oz?

They go to see the Wizard.

Offline Lepard LLC

• Activist
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2008, 09:22:31 PM »
That's the one.. Followthefollowthefollowthefollowthe, Follow the yellow brick road.. Sing with me kids..

The wonderful Wizard of Oz?

Offline fish

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2008, 01:06:16 AM »
they become furniture when they die

Offline prE4chEr

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2008, 01:10:09 AM »
Where does a Wiccan go when he or she dies?

the same place everyone else goes.................in the ground, or as decoration on someone's mantle.
(\__/)
(o.O )

"All that we see or seem

Offline ♥♣ ~Maynard~♣♥

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2008, 01:18:23 AM »
they become furniture when they die
So thats where we get wicker furniture right fish :th_gen129: ***(**&

Offline fish

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2008, 01:27:20 AM »
you got it JT !!!! and peaceful furniture it is.

Offline I have no username

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2008, 04:15:23 AM »
I would really like to know.  Thats a question I never thought to ask.
Μολὼν λαβέ

If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom.
Dwight D. Eisenhower

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2008, 03:27:18 PM »
Most Wiccans believe in reincarnation, although some do not.  With the theory of reincarnation, the soul leaves the body and returns to the cauldron of the crone until it is ready to be reborn.  A soul is reborn numerous times, until it reaches the point of enlightenment.  When a soul reaches enlightenment, it is able to break free from the wheel of life and return to the divine.  Others believe that when they die, the soul will return to Summerland.
I would really like to know.  Thats a question I never thought to ask.
Blessed Be!