Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • littlebit: Makes sense.
    July 16, 2017, 04:40:28 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Boards will stay open for a place people can find history information longer. I am not allowing anyone to sign up for now because of so many foreginers just wanting to promote their business..
    December 10, 2016, 05:10:27 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Not sure why didn't look, I may be shutting down these message boards..
    November 17, 2016, 12:42:43 AM
  • ~kathy~: rick why is the timestamp showing up a day in advance?
    September 13, 2016, 12:27:46 AM
  • Valor7: What I tried to say is that the actual money would not be there that quick. But a loan against that would work if they are willing to do that.
    August 08, 2016, 01:51:51 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Why so long before it comes online? 911 took out a loan or bond with the known guarantee payment and began building..
    August 08, 2016, 07:46:34 AM
  • Valor7: Actually no it is not, a dependable Revenue stream will not come on line until the 4th quarter of 2017 so 2018 budget will be up in the air, not quite sure what they will have. By 2019 budget all will be well.
    August 04, 2016, 09:27:17 PM
  • Valor7: You mean that tax that the Commissioners would not put on the ballot for so many years? Strange things happened when the citizens got a chance to vote on that issue.
    August 03, 2016, 06:43:06 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Back up is now available withe the new tax..
    August 03, 2016, 05:01:35 PM
  • Valor7: Thanks a lot Ladies!!
    July 29, 2016, 01:16:13 PM
  • littlebit: ((*(*&
    July 27, 2016, 03:47:52 PM
  • ~kathy~: lol
    July 15, 2016, 09:34:56 AM
  • Valor7: A guy could get killed around here while waiting for backup!
    July 13, 2016, 07:31:58 PM
  • Lepard LLC: You are not alone..
    July 13, 2016, 07:28:53 PM
  • Valor7: I just hate it when I talk to myself!!!!
    July 08, 2016, 12:54:09 PM
  • Valor7: I could have worded that better, we talked details, options, the pros and cons of each, in  order to arrive at the best ballot language to present to the voters. Hope that makes this clearer.
    April 15, 2016, 06:36:14 PM
  • Valor7: sorry about the typos still working with just one arm in action
    April 13, 2016, 01:10:42 PM
  • Valor7: Yes and no. We talked details and options until we were blue in the face but I never heardbring it over, it was always the time was not right for the issue to pass. Glad to see the time in now right and I for one shall vote yes on the ballot. I would urge all others to do the sameour county is busting at the seams crimewise and no matter how many bad guys we send off there always seems to someone to replace them. The Sheriff's Office needs the help.
    April 13, 2016, 01:08:35 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Is that true Valor? Did he ask you what you wanted?
    March 01, 2016, 04:55:37 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Gene Newkirk Rick I have waited for a Sheriff to bring it to me on what he wanted. I have pushed Mr long for a while to get it to me. He told me he was close to having or done. Now hopefully the people will get to decide on it. I spoke with Steve about this a few times.
    March 01, 2016, 04:54:54 AM
  • Kimberly: Wow- I have a new name..........
    February 23, 2016, 10:25:15 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Works on mine, improvements are being done here. I may kick back into her a lot and post but working on different technologies right now. Seeing how things interact.
    January 18, 2016, 09:01:20 AM
  • Valor7: Yes it is working. If you need a laugh the wife showed me how to correctly use the silly thing.
    January 04, 2016, 05:32:59 PM
  • Valor7: Think so, mine is trying to work but it is now user and password protected and I dont know mine
    December 17, 2015, 01:32:16 PM
  • "DJ": Is there still a working android app for the PCSD
    December 14, 2015, 08:14:53 PM

Author Topic: Waynesville Pool tax vote  (Read 7781 times)

Offline igahmah at work

• Global Moderator
  • Some pursue happiness, others create it!
    • View Profile
Waynesville Pool tax vote
« on: September 18, 2008, 04:32:27 PM »

Share/Bookmark

Fort Wood Hotel

Boards

Devils Elbow

Attractions

Sports

St. Robert

Waynesville

PC Daily

Dixon

Menu Guide

Fun Links

Homework

Crocker

Fort Wood

Swedeborg

Big Piney

Laquey

Classifieds

Restaurants

Richland

Fort  Hotels

I have been informed that the reason St. Robert declined building a pool with Waynesville is because Waynesville wants the pool built in the same place the last one was and St. Robert officials are realistic enough to know that if the river floods again, the pool will flood.  The reason the last pool cracked was because of the moisture in the soil. 

Paper today says "Waynesville pool could require tax vote in April."  I would like a local water facility as much as anyone else, but if the people of Waynesville vote  for a tax to build a pool in the same place as the old one they are crazy.  Not saying a tax is a bad idea, just saying if they build it where it could flood every 10 years or so or the pool can crack like the old one, that is just crazy.  Whose idea was it anyway to build in the same spot?  Luge maybe you can shed some light on this decision.  Surely in all of Waynesville they could find a better spot.  How about the land down by the Methodist church that they wanted to build a industrial park in? 
When I was young, I wanted to be older.  This is not what I expected!

Offline Eden

• Not in Drama Club or on the Debate Team!
    • View Profile
Re: Waynesville Pool tax vote
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2008, 05:50:03 PM »
That pool was about 100 years old wasn't it? I know it was there when I was a kid.
"Heaven has no rage like love to hatred turned, Nor hell a fury like a woman scorned"

Offline luge

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2008, 06:37:41 PM »
We did have many months of dialogue with St. Robert.  Building a joint facility in the Roubidoux Park was never an option.  But St. Robert decided to go their own way with other options, discussed recently in the papers.  Waynesville has decided to begin our own process.  Mayor Hammock recently appointed a finance committee:  Ray Cordry, Tyce Smith, Keith Pritchard and Erv Morriss.  We have also discussed financing with our advisors.  We will be coming to the public with options to design and finance this facility.  And our goal is to have a facility by May, 2010.  We have our work cut out for us.

The old pool was over 30 years old.  We definitely got our money's worth from it.  It did NOT crack.  It had deteriorated over the years and the sides were literally falling off.  Our engineers tell us that we COULD build in the main park.  The new facility would be engineered 5 to 6 feet above the old location, to a 100 year flood plain. (I believe that is the proper term.)  I believe that the majority of the Council does want to build in the main park because of the central location.  But as public meetings are held in January and February, things may change and we are open to all suggestions.  Hope that helps to answer some of the questions.

Offline igahmah at work

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2008, 07:13:08 PM »
The kiddie pool hasn't been used in years because of cracks in the cement "caused by the dampness of the ground" is what we were told when it didn't open.

As far as the Waynesville St. Robert joint effort, I am getting two stories so I will just have to let that go unless someone can show me minutes from a meeting where St. Robert just decided not to cooperate because they wanted to build their own and not because Waynesville changed the building site.

This time you are talking about millions of dollars.  Seems to me you wouldn't want to take any chances on building it where it "might" be flooded.  JMHO

Offline luge

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2008, 07:43:55 PM »
Well, there you go!  That's all I do is tell you what happened on our end.  We never "changed" anything.  In fact, there were some interesting possibilities for us to work together.  This project just didn't work out.   

Also,  I was chairman of the Park Board when the kiddie pool closed and it was because of filtering problems.  We were afraid of e coli.  If you remember that was a big issue back in the 90's. 

Offline HCC

• Wise men argue cases, fools decide them.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2008, 10:50:19 PM »
All parties and persons involved with these pool projects should receive praise and thanks for their hard efforts. No good deed will ever go without harsh objection, uninformed opinion or venomous rancor. I will state here and now that all of their respective efforts are noteworthy and personally appreciated for the thankless jobs these volunteer citizens do for all of us. Both Waynesville and St. Robert have honorable elected officials and citizen volunteers that have nothing but the best interest of the common COMMUNITY at heart. I thank them all for their efforts. We as the residents need to all get behind and support them, instead of being out in front of them and laying waste to all they try to do.

Offline prE4chEr

• Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2008, 11:15:52 AM »
Why don't they just combine their efforts and build one kick 'asphalt' pool? They could put it somewhere in the middle, like near the soccer fields.

P.S. I should have read the whole thread before I posted. Oh well. Too late now.
(\__/)
(o.O )
(> < )  Look into my evil eye. Bunny needs brains.....BRAINS!!!

"All that we see or seem
Is but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe

Offline igahmah at work

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2008, 03:22:34 PM »
Preach that is what I've been saying and they supposedly worked together to get it done but didn't work out.  I say "go back and work some more."

Offline prE4chEr

• Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2008, 06:01:47 PM »
Seriously, they need to make some really crazy cool pool. I went to one in Germany that was a long pool at the bottom of a small hill. They had a super wide slide that went down the hill. A lot of people could go down at once without fear of bumping into others. It was a pretty cool pool. Now I'm not saying we need one of those, but for sure one really cool pool is better than two mediocre pools.
(\__/)
(o.O )
(> < )  Look into my evil eye. Bunny needs brains.....BRAINS!!!

"All that we see or seem
Is but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe

Offline Allan

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2010, 08:12:55 PM »
When is Waynesville getting this pool this everyone is talking about here.

Offline igahmah at work

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2010, 08:20:06 PM »
The one we talk about here will probably not come to pass.  St. Robert is building an Aquatic Center that should be open for business next summer.

Offline Hi

• Go to your profile and put something here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2010, 08:43:33 PM »
heres an Idea, How about st robert/waynesville get on the same page and 1 town builds something we need and the other builds something else we need instead of you both building the same thing.

Offline kevinhillman

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2010, 03:00:43 AM »
I am not sure if you looked at the dates of the posts, but many were in 2008.  Since then, St. Robert voted to put a sales tax on the ballot that was approved and the pool will be open next Memorial Day.  We tried to do it jointly but it just didn't work out for lots of reasons, many of which no one had any control over.  If Waynesville does a pool, I do not think it will be similar to this one for obvious reasons.

We do a lot of things jointly, including running the airport and the recreation program.  The cities have a good relationship, especially compared to how it used to be.

heres an Idea, How about st robert/waynesville get on the same page and 1 town builds something we need and the other builds something else we need instead of you both building the same thing.
Follow me on Facebook: www.facebook.com/kevinshillman

Offline igahmah at work

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2010, 03:59:15 AM »

Here's an idea, next time either city starts to plan something you go to the meetings they have and voice your opinion, then you would have reason to complain if they don't do what you want them to do.

Offline twilliams

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2010, 03:03:57 PM »
I like the sprinklers that they have at the park now. It is free for the kids so even the familys whom don't have an extra $5 to take their kids to the pool can enjoy the water. Why not just add on to them instead of a pool?

Offline Hi

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2010, 07:11:41 PM »

Here's an idea, next time either city starts to plan something you go to the meetings they have and voice your opinion, then you would have reason to complain if they don't do what you want them to do.

Bad Idea

Offline Irish

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2010, 08:01:24 PM »
exactly which one is a bad idea, adding to the spray park, or attending open meetings?

Offline Hi

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2010, 08:31:51 PM »
the one I quoted, the one that says I cant have an opinion unless I attend City planning meetings.

Offline igahmah at work

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2010, 09:08:19 PM »
You can have any opinion you want, but if you want something to be done the way you want it done, you will have to go to the meetings, where people make those decisions, to be heard.    And if you don't go become a part of the decision making process, then you have no right to complain.  Opinion yes, complain no.  It's just like people who complain about who the president is, or the county commissioner.  If you don't vote, you have no right to complain.

Offline Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2010, 04:53:43 AM »
Why does Waynesville need a pool now. St Robert is building a nice one. The two are so close you have to really pay attention to see when you go from one to the other. The pool problem is fixed, Waynesville needs to put their energy into something else that both cities can enjoy. Take the back side of the park and make a sports range for archery, firearms ect. Have classes for the young and let the old play. JMHI
If your going to be dumb, you better be tough!

Offline twilliams

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2010, 03:06:39 AM »
Why does Waynesville need a pool now. St Robert is building a nice one. The two are so close you have to really pay attention to see when you go from one to the other. The pool problem is fixed, Waynesville needs to put their energy into something else that both cities can enjoy. Take the back side of the park and make a sports range for archery, firearms ect. Have classes for the young and let the old play. JMHI

Nice idea. I know that would get my husband to take the kids to the park more often lol.

Offline luge

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2010, 09:54:45 PM »
Allan,  VERY old post....No plans to build a new pool, as St. Robert is building an aquatic facility for the whole community to use.  But there are plans to build an outdoor amphitheatre and to add on to the spray park in the Waynesville Park.  We are always open to new ideas.  Contact Roger Olney, chairman of the Park Board.  In fact, they meet this coming Monday.