Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • littlebit: Makes sense.
    July 16, 2017, 04:40:28 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Boards will stay open for a place people can find history information longer. I am not allowing anyone to sign up for now because of so many foreginers just wanting to promote their business..
    December 10, 2016, 05:10:27 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Not sure why didn't look, I may be shutting down these message boards..
    November 17, 2016, 12:42:43 AM
  • ~kathy~: rick why is the timestamp showing up a day in advance?
    September 13, 2016, 12:27:46 AM
  • Valor7: What I tried to say is that the actual money would not be there that quick. But a loan against that would work if they are willing to do that.
    August 08, 2016, 01:51:51 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Why so long before it comes online? 911 took out a loan or bond with the known guarantee payment and began building..
    August 08, 2016, 07:46:34 AM
  • Valor7: Actually no it is not, a dependable Revenue stream will not come on line until the 4th quarter of 2017 so 2018 budget will be up in the air, not quite sure what they will have. By 2019 budget all will be well.
    August 04, 2016, 09:27:17 PM
  • Valor7: You mean that tax that the Commissioners would not put on the ballot for so many years? Strange things happened when the citizens got a chance to vote on that issue.
    August 03, 2016, 06:43:06 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Back up is now available withe the new tax..
    August 03, 2016, 05:01:35 PM
  • Valor7: Thanks a lot Ladies!!
    July 29, 2016, 01:16:13 PM
  • littlebit: ((*(*&
    July 27, 2016, 03:47:52 PM
  • ~kathy~: lol
    July 15, 2016, 09:34:56 AM
  • Valor7: A guy could get killed around here while waiting for backup!
    July 13, 2016, 07:31:58 PM
  • Lepard LLC: You are not alone..
    July 13, 2016, 07:28:53 PM
  • Valor7: I just hate it when I talk to myself!!!!
    July 08, 2016, 12:54:09 PM
  • Valor7: I could have worded that better, we talked details, options, the pros and cons of each, in  order to arrive at the best ballot language to present to the voters. Hope that makes this clearer.
    April 15, 2016, 06:36:14 PM
  • Valor7: sorry about the typos still working with just one arm in action
    April 13, 2016, 01:10:42 PM
  • Valor7: Yes and no. We talked details and options until we were blue in the face but I never heardbring it over, it was always the time was not right for the issue to pass. Glad to see the time in now right and I for one shall vote yes on the ballot. I would urge all others to do the sameour county is busting at the seams crimewise and no matter how many bad guys we send off there always seems to someone to replace them. The Sheriff's Office needs the help.
    April 13, 2016, 01:08:35 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Is that true Valor? Did he ask you what you wanted?
    March 01, 2016, 04:55:37 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Gene Newkirk Rick I have waited for a Sheriff to bring it to me on what he wanted. I have pushed Mr long for a while to get it to me. He told me he was close to having or done. Now hopefully the people will get to decide on it. I spoke with Steve about this a few times.
    March 01, 2016, 04:54:54 AM
  • Kimberly: Wow- I have a new name..........
    February 23, 2016, 10:25:15 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Works on mine, improvements are being done here. I may kick back into her a lot and post but working on different technologies right now. Seeing how things interact.
    January 18, 2016, 09:01:20 AM
  • Valor7: Yes it is working. If you need a laugh the wife showed me how to correctly use the silly thing.
    January 04, 2016, 05:32:59 PM
  • Valor7: Think so, mine is trying to work but it is now user and password protected and I dont know mine
    December 17, 2015, 01:32:16 PM
  • "DJ": Is there still a working android app for the PCSD
    December 14, 2015, 08:14:53 PM

Author Topic: Why can't Pulaski County do this?  (Read 11592 times)

Offline Eden

• Not in Drama Club or on the Debate Team!
    • View Profile
Why can't Pulaski County do this?
« on: October 06, 2008, 02:41:31 PM »

Share/Bookmark

Fort Wood Hotel

Boards

Devils Elbow

Attractions

Sports

St. Robert

Waynesville

PC Daily

Dixon

Menu Guide

Fun Links

Homework

Crocker

Fort Wood

Swedeborg

Big Piney

Laquey

Classifieds

Restaurants

Richland

Fort  Hotels

http://www.therolladailynews.com/news/x455211391/Drug-Fund-purchases

Rolla, Mo. -  The Phelps County Sheriff’s Department took possession of two new Dodge Chargers on Thursday, courtesy of the Drug Fund, an account sustained by the federal reimbursement of drug-money seizures.
In reviewing the titles of the cars, the Phelps County Commission said each car cost $22,500 and were purchased at the same price as the new vehicles bought last year.
Both cars were bought on a state bid and purchased by the Sheriff Department’s Drug Fund.
Sheriff Don Blankenship said, “This is another example of the drug dealers funding new equipment for the Department to use for the benefit of the citizens of Phelps County.”
Capt. Roy Day, of the Phelps County Sheriff’s Department, said new cars were added as slowly phased-in replacements for the cars that were aging-out of the fleet.
A large cache of drug-related money, $138,500, was discovered Tuesday as a result of a traffic stop on Interstate 44 by a PCSD deputy and a Rolla Police (RPD) officer as they worked together on criminal interdiction.
Deputy Carmello Crivello and Officer Josh Campbell, both working within a recently initiated and collaborative effort between the PCSD and the RPD, found the money hidden in luggage and the console of a Mercedes SUV.
No drugs were found in the car, however, the cash was stored in plastic bags that smelled of marijuana.  The driver of the car disowned the money, and after he was interviewed by a federal agent with the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA), he was released and the money seized.
"Heaven has no rage like love to hatred turned, Nor hell a fury like a woman scorned"

Offline Just_a_Biker

• View Profile
Re: Why can't Pulaski County do this?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2008, 06:30:49 PM »
That's a good question...
The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. Cicero - 55 BC, Rome

Offline Sheriff J. B. King

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2008, 08:11:00 PM »
Frankly my dear we are doing this. The MODOT traffic grant puts our guys on I-44 and the two officers assigned to the I-44 part of the detail have been to interdiction school. We have yet to get a good hit.
JB

Offline Eden

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2008, 08:28:39 PM »
What happens to the drug money and items that are seized in Pulaski County by the sheriff's department? Not just on the interstate, but in any drug bust.
"Heaven has no rage like love to hatred turned, Nor hell a fury like a woman scorned"

Offline tux5

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2008, 11:23:17 PM »
tell us

Offline Valor7

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2008, 12:21:07 AM »
What happens to the drug money and items that are seized in Pulaski County by the sheriff's department? Not just on the interstate, but in any drug bust.

If the PA files the correct paperwork within the specific time frame then the proceeds (after court) go to the local school system. If on the other hand we are dealing with a large amount and we can talk the DEA into the case then it goes federal and up to 80% can come back to the department. So far our score is two empty hidden compartments. Unlike Phelps County we cannot detail a guy to this job full time. We filed one case from last year with the feds and we are waiting for approximately $3200.00 that we hope will be forfited to us. If said money arrives it will be spent on equipment for the department.
JB

Offline Just_a_Biker

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2008, 02:17:50 AM »
Reserve Deputies
Reserve Deputies
Reserve Deputies
Reserve Deputies
The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. Cicero - 55 BC, Rome

Offline Eden

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2008, 12:30:14 PM »
Just curious. I know Phelps County has more money than Pulaski, but gossip would indicate that Pulaski has much more drug activity. Phelps has a huge building to house their sheriff's dept. and a fleet of vehicles. How does a neighboring county have so much more??

Offline prE4chEr

• Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2008, 12:37:52 PM »
I am against this. Why would we want to lower our 35 MPH speed limits to 25 MPH?

Approved reducing the speed limit from 35 to 25 mph on County Road 5380, located south of Rolla, after resident Toni K. Radcliff submitted a petition from other residents on the road who requested the change.
(\__/)
(o.O )
(> < )  Look into my evil eye. Bunny needs brains.....BRAINS!!!

"All that we see or seem
Is but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe

Offline Eden

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2008, 12:52:25 PM »
You make it look like I said that - I just copied the artilce. I am talking about purchasing vehicles with drug money. Geez.  :shame:

There PrE4chEr I edited it for you.

Offline Yankee Trader

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2008, 03:10:35 PM »
Just curious. I know Phelps County has more money than Pulaski, but gossip would indicate that Pulaski has much more drug activity. Phelps has a huge building to house their sheriff's dept. and a fleet of vehicles. How does a neighboring county have so much more??

Easy answer.....  Phelps has cured the problem before it hit. They have a new, modern jail facility and get paid to house Federal Detainees.  That pays for the jail. 

They have enough officers to cover the calls they get plus do the proactive work.

Example..... on evening shift last night there was a period of 5 hours that all our deputies on duty were running from one call to another.  It was solid calls for 5 hours.  1 officer went from the Buckhorn area (ATV on road call) to the Texas Rd area (speeding/wreckless driving) to the Big Piney area (person bit by dog) to Hwy D at the Phelps County line area (theft of gas from truck) all within that period of time. 

Now that doesn't happen every day but I think gives a good example of why we can't get alot of proactive work done.  I was told Phelps has 3 deputies that do just drugs on the Interstate.

Our deputies would love to make a bust like Phelps.  They all work hard trying to do just that in many ways any time they can.  They know it will not only get dangerous drugs/people off the street but  will benefit the Dept. and our County.

Offline Eden

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2008, 03:26:18 PM »
So only if the bust is on the Interstate the county gets a portion of the money - correct?

Why does the county not get the money from drug busts in any part of the county? Our county would be rich! Why does this money go to the schools? Not that I have a problem with that, just curious again.

Offline Coyote

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2008, 03:37:32 PM »
Does "person bit by dog" and "theft of gas" really warrant the deputies responding to the location to take a report?  Why can't the victims come in and make a report themselves?  Obviously the deputy can't do much about the gas, or at the most have to shoot a dog.  Just sounds like a lot of useless running around to me.  In D.C. the cops didn't respond to anything unless a life was in danger.  If you wanted to report it bad enough, you go in and do it yourself.
....and that night as the moon crossed the mountain, one more Coyote was heard...

Offline Yankee Trader

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2008, 05:13:46 PM »
Does "person bit by dog" and "theft of gas" really warrant the deputies responding to the location to take a report?  Why can't the victims come in and make a report themselves?  Obviously the deputy can't do much about the gas, or at the most have to shoot a dog.  Just sounds like a lot of useless running around to me.  In D.C. the cops didn't respond to anything unless a life was in danger.  If you wanted to report it bad enough, you go in and do it yourself.

With the dog bite there was follow up investigation to be done at the residence of the dog owner.  With the gas theft there was evidence to be photographed etc. 

Where possible we ask folks to come in to the office to file a report.  Then there are those people that demand an officer respond to their house.  And if we don't you can be assured that it will be a 'letter to the editor' or other type of complaint, especially this election year.

Offline Yankee Trader

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2008, 05:15:34 PM »
So only if the bust is on the Interstate the county gets a portion of the money - correct?

Why does the county not get the money from drug busts in any part of the county? Our county would be rich! Why does this money go to the schools? Not that I have a problem with that, just curious again.

I think the boss explained about the money procedure in his post.  Doesn't matter where the bust is.

Offline Auctioneer Ed

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2008, 07:48:50 PM »

If your child was bit by neighbor's dog I think you would want a visit by law enforcement officers..... if the theft of gas was all of the fuel from a 250 gallon farm diesel tank that about a $1000-felony......we don't have enough information to "Monday morning quarterback" the dispatchers & officers.   

Offline oldcowpoke

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2008, 08:36:11 PM »

If your child was bit by neighbor's dog I think you would want a visit by law enforcement officers..... if the theft of gas was all of the fuel from a 250 gallon farm diesel tank that about a $1000-felony......we don't have enough information to "Monday morning quarterback" the dispatchers & officers.   

Ah, the sweet voice of reason.

Offline Coyote

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2008, 09:09:26 PM »
Was that really the case or are you just "supposing?" 

....and that night as the moon crossed the mountain, one more Coyote was heard...

Offline Valor7

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2008, 10:39:12 PM »
Bottom line, so far it has been my experience that the citizens of this county demand that we visit when they are done wrong by some thug. The other guy running for sheriff says he hears the same thing.
JB

Offline Valor7

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2008, 10:46:39 PM »

They also have a 3/8 cent LE tax that goes to the Sheriff. They also let him keep every dime the jail makes. For what it is worth the Phelps County Sheriff's budget and the Pulaski County Sheriff's budget are so completely apart as to be night and day in the way the budget is set up. Don and I cannot talk budget except in very general terms. (and he has made close to $3-4 million over the past few years with his drug checks)
JB

Offline Auctioneer Ed

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2008, 11:13:50 PM »
Was that really the case or are you just "supposing?"

"Just supposing"  Like I said we don't have the facts to second guess those decisions. Not trying to throw stones at anyone, but just trying to give those in decision making positions the benefit of any doubt.

Offline darrellmaurina

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2008, 01:03:23 AM »
Just sounds like a lot of useless running around to me.  In D.C. the cops didn't respond to anything unless a life was in danger.  If you wanted to report it bad enough, you go in and do it yourself.

Yes, Coyote, I know exactly what you mean about big city policing. I remember seeing a young woman assaulted in a neighbor's back yard, raped, and dragged off into a car by a group of men, while she was screaming the whole time. I hope I am not the only neighbor who called 911. My calls to 911 resulted in a police officer coming out probably half an hour to 45 minutes after the guys left the area. He shone a searchlight a few times into the back yard and took off without ever getting out of his patrol car; apparently even he felt the neighborhood was too dangerous at night to leave the safety of his patrol car. And this was twenty years ago when i was in graduate school living in a city of a half-million population, not some massively high crime area two or three years ago.

Daytime calls were a whole different ballgame. When my motorcycle was stolen out of my driveway in the middle of the morning while I was working on it but had to go inside to take a phone call (hope the thieves were better mechanics than me), the police sent a motorcycle officer down to my home and he spent maybe 30 minutes taking a report, but advised me that realistically they'd never find it and all they'd do is keep the serial number on file in case it turned up as stolen property. The best thing for me to do, the officer said, would be to check around people's garages and offer a reward. My motorcycle never turned up, not surprisingly.

Now let me ask. Do any of us really want that kind of policing around here? I don't think so. I know neither the current sheriff nor his challenger want it.

Another item: I sat in that house furious that there was absolutely nothing I could do while the woman was being raped and screaming for help except try to gather a vehicle description; the people were in the shadows and my memory is they were unidentifiable. It wasn't just me; there were probably two dozen houses within easy earshot of her screaming, some of which turned on their lights and hurriedly turned them off again, probably because they "didn't want to get involved." Those who know my physical stature know I could not have done anything without a gun, and I didn't own one at the time. Stuff like that doesn't happen in neighborhoods around here in Missouri. Why? At least one of those 20 homes has a big burly hillbilly with a shotgun who won't let it happen. I've seen firsthand from living in cities that guns are needed far more in cities than in rural areas because the police are simply too overworked to protect and to serve. The police station was maybe a 10 to 15 minute drive even in heavy traffic, but obviously other crimes were more urgent than a rape in progress.

Regards,
DTM
Darrell Todd Maurina
Check out the Pulaski County Daily News online newspaper at
http://www.pulaskicountyweb.com
Cell: (573) 433.6733 * FAX: (573) 774-2349
Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/darrellmaurina/
Follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/darrellmaurina/

Offline Eden

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2008, 12:19:36 PM »
Thanks for the answers JB.