Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • littlebit: Makes sense.
    July 16, 2017, 04:40:28 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Boards will stay open for a place people can find history information longer. I am not allowing anyone to sign up for now because of so many foreginers just wanting to promote their business..
    December 10, 2016, 05:10:27 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Not sure why didn't look, I may be shutting down these message boards..
    November 17, 2016, 12:42:43 AM
  • ~kathy~: rick why is the timestamp showing up a day in advance?
    September 13, 2016, 12:27:46 AM
  • Valor7: What I tried to say is that the actual money would not be there that quick. But a loan against that would work if they are willing to do that.
    August 08, 2016, 01:51:51 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Why so long before it comes online? 911 took out a loan or bond with the known guarantee payment and began building..
    August 08, 2016, 07:46:34 AM
  • Valor7: Actually no it is not, a dependable Revenue stream will not come on line until the 4th quarter of 2017 so 2018 budget will be up in the air, not quite sure what they will have. By 2019 budget all will be well.
    August 04, 2016, 09:27:17 PM
  • Valor7: You mean that tax that the Commissioners would not put on the ballot for so many years? Strange things happened when the citizens got a chance to vote on that issue.
    August 03, 2016, 06:43:06 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Back up is now available withe the new tax..
    August 03, 2016, 05:01:35 PM
  • Valor7: Thanks a lot Ladies!!
    July 29, 2016, 01:16:13 PM
  • littlebit: ((*(*&
    July 27, 2016, 03:47:52 PM
  • ~kathy~: lol
    July 15, 2016, 09:34:56 AM
  • Valor7: A guy could get killed around here while waiting for backup!
    July 13, 2016, 07:31:58 PM
  • Lepard LLC: You are not alone..
    July 13, 2016, 07:28:53 PM
  • Valor7: I just hate it when I talk to myself!!!!
    July 08, 2016, 12:54:09 PM
  • Valor7: I could have worded that better, we talked details, options, the pros and cons of each, in  order to arrive at the best ballot language to present to the voters. Hope that makes this clearer.
    April 15, 2016, 06:36:14 PM
  • Valor7: sorry about the typos still working with just one arm in action
    April 13, 2016, 01:10:42 PM
  • Valor7: Yes and no. We talked details and options until we were blue in the face but I never heardbring it over, it was always the time was not right for the issue to pass. Glad to see the time in now right and I for one shall vote yes on the ballot. I would urge all others to do the sameour county is busting at the seams crimewise and no matter how many bad guys we send off there always seems to someone to replace them. The Sheriff's Office needs the help.
    April 13, 2016, 01:08:35 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Is that true Valor? Did he ask you what you wanted?
    March 01, 2016, 04:55:37 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Gene Newkirk Rick I have waited for a Sheriff to bring it to me on what he wanted. I have pushed Mr long for a while to get it to me. He told me he was close to having or done. Now hopefully the people will get to decide on it. I spoke with Steve about this a few times.
    March 01, 2016, 04:54:54 AM
  • Kimberly: Wow- I have a new name..........
    February 23, 2016, 10:25:15 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Works on mine, improvements are being done here. I may kick back into her a lot and post but working on different technologies right now. Seeing how things interact.
    January 18, 2016, 09:01:20 AM
  • Valor7: Yes it is working. If you need a laugh the wife showed me how to correctly use the silly thing.
    January 04, 2016, 05:32:59 PM
  • Valor7: Think so, mine is trying to work but it is now user and password protected and I dont know mine
    December 17, 2015, 01:32:16 PM
  • "DJ": Is there still a working android app for the PCSD
    December 14, 2015, 08:14:53 PM

Author Topic: Waynesville Nuisance Abatement Board  (Read 39989 times)

Offline Just_a_Biker

• View Profile
Waynesville Nuisance Abatement Board
« on: March 27, 2007, 07:12:21 PM »

Share/Bookmark

Fort Wood Hotel

Boards

Devils Elbow

Attractions

Sports

St. Robert

Waynesville

PC Daily

Dixon

Menu Guide

Fun Links

Homework

Crocker

Fort Wood

Swedeborg

Big Piney

Laquey

Classifieds

Restaurants

Richland

Fort  Hotels

Last weeks article in the Daily Guide has prompted me to do some research on the Waynesville Nuisance Abatement Board.  For example, who elects the board members?  Are the board members paid or volunteers?  Who regulates & oversees the board?  What is their purpose / mission?  Calling city hall hasn't gotten me anywhere yet, but maybe I'm just not talking to the right folks...
The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. Cicero - 55 BC, Rome

Glenn/cameraman

Re: Waynesville Nuisance Abatement Board
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2007, 02:22:05 AM »
The sad part is nobody really knows the answers!!!!   LOL

Offline luge

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2007, 02:44:27 AM »
The members of the Abatement Board are appointed by the mayor with council approval.  They are volunteers.  The ordinance allows for citizens to appeal an abatement order by appearing before the Board.  Hope that answers your questions.  I am a council member from Ward 3 in Waynesville.  Thank you for your interest.

Offline Princess_KA

• Always look eye...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2007, 02:56:16 AM »
I never knew such a board existed until that scathing article about the 'Citizen of the Year'.  Wow.  Does St. Robert also have such a board?

Offline OLDigahmah

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2007, 02:59:34 AM »
I wish SR did have a board like that, they could clean up a bunch of messes.  There are some very unsightly places in SR.  Eastlawn for one.

Offline Princess_KA

• Always look eye...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2007, 03:16:59 AM »
Does this Abatement Board deal with businesses as well as personal property? 

I agree - there are several areas that need some major clean up in the St. Robert area.  That's why I was asking. 

Also, I was curious about how people felt about the way they are going about the process.  I am all for an abatement board, but I'm not so sure how necessary it was to go through shaming some one all over the paper for it.  It seems the citizen of the year was an easy target.  "That's right - if we'll go after the Citizen of the Year, EVERYONE is fair game!!!" I get the whole clean up campaign, I just think that had this person not been citizen of the year, we wouldn't have seen such a huge cover story in the paper about it. They are using him as an example.  It just seemed a little overkill to me.

Offline OLDigahmah

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2007, 03:19:08 AM »
i think if i read it right, they had given him several notices to clean up his property. But you are probably right about the paper giving coverage because he was "citizen of the year."  If it was my yard they probably wouldn't write a story about it.

Offline Princess_KA

• Always look eye...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2007, 03:29:23 AM »
I have no doubt he has given them a hard time about it.  I have had dealings with the man myself.  I read somewhere (maybe the comments on the DG article) that some other area has an abatement board, and if their notices are ignored two times, they clean it up themselves and fine the property owner whatever fines they have plus the clean up costs.  That seemed like a good idea. 
Thanks for getting my point!!! 
Abatement = good
Plastering negative campaign against some guy because of who he is = bad
 :{:{:

zarkee

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2007, 09:00:56 AM »
Abatement board is used to ensure that the person has been given the opportunity for administrative review of the inspectors actions. The legal folks know it as "due process". The people appearing before the board "asked" for the board to review their case. Most of what is read in the DG is either misquoted or sensationalized, but if there is a shred of accuracy in the article than how can a person appealing their notice to clean up their property argue against actual pictures that were taken of the mess in the first place. The board can overturn the inspector's decision if they find that an error was made. And that may be the case sometimes, but I believe that those that complain the loudest are the ones most guilty of trashing a neighborhood, or those who have not been told to clean up their mess yet.

It should not matter who you are, or whether you live in a neighborhood or own a business. If it is trashing the "hood" or city in any regards than it needs to be cleaned up. As it has been said before by others, this has been allowed to go on for far to long and now some people are getting antsy because the city is starting to take overdue action. A persons property rights do not permit them to have an adverse effect on my property rights by ruining my property value or my neighborhood. What goes on outside the city limits is of no concern to the board of aldermen or mayor, but inside the city is their right to regulate trash properties. The inspector is a coward or unduly influenced by the mayor or aldermen if he does not make businesses clean up their mess as well. If he is selectively doing his job than that is wrong and needs to be dismissed. All the gripping you here about people being made to clean up their junk is because they have made a choice to live like slobs. I live by one who has not been made to clean up his mess yet, but I will be filing a complaint to start the process. Find out where these people live and check it out for your self. I think you would support these people being made to clean up their mess, I would bet that better than 3/4 of the people who live in town would agree with the process. But you would not know that by reading the DG.

Offline Geezer Glide Taz

• Land Of The Free, Because Of The Brave
  • Riding Vertical Shiny Side Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2007, 09:43:10 AM »
If a trashy site causes a health hazard, or because of it's state, brings in vermin and such is one thing, but I think we are allowing people and government to get into other peoples business too much.  I have always said, Government needs to stop getting into everyday people lives, dictating how we live, what are yards will look like, seat belts, helmets, gun control, and I could go on. Soon this will be a major witch hunt. I don't like him, turn him in for not having a yard as nice as mine. I think Gnomes are stupid, need a ban on having gnomes in your yard. And what about those stupid pink flamingos, and dumb looking deer, they make my property depreciate, need them banned.
One mans trash is another mans treasure. Who gives who the right to say, that yard is acceptable, and this one is not. And, I fall back on my first sentence, if it does not create a health hazard, or because it is infested with vermin therefore possibly causing a heath hazard, I don't thing any one should be throwing the first stone around here.
No, my yard is clean of any junk, My wife is a garden freak, so it is always clean and mowed, and full of color.
My neighbors do not put the same value into yard maintenance.  So what. One neighbor has a couple of cars around his yard that he keeps saying he will fix up, but we all know he never will. So what. The man has worked hard all his life to buy those things and is entitled to keep them in his yard if he wants. If his yard looks trashy in my opinion, so friggin what. Maybe he does not like all the plants and flowers in mine. Come on people, we still live in a free society, and don't need the yard police telling us how to live.
What's next, noise control, all you rednecks with loud pick up, need to get rid of them. Speaking of pickups, they make people with Mercedes and Lexus in their front yard look cheap, everyone needs to get rid of the Pickups and SUVs and buy luxury cars so every ones driveway don't depreciate.
Freedom Of Road Riders,
Protecting and informing riders in Missouri
www.midamericafreedomrally.com

Please watch out for Motorcycles on the road
The life you save might be mine

Offline Trix

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2007, 01:22:58 PM »
The City has done a good thing making people clean up their yards if you live in a nice neighborhood and you keep you yard nice and your neighbor has a dump in his yard it makes your yard look bad and makes you mad when you bust your butt and they don't even care. It doesn't matter if they are citizen of the year or a city council member or ex-member. If you want to throw trash everywhere or pile up lumber and junk then move to the country where you have no neighbors and you can look at your junk by yourself. I think the board is doing a GREAT JOB keep up the GOOD work gang! 

Offline 02Tundra

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2007, 01:42:21 PM »
It's about time they started taking some kind of action. This has been debated for what, over a year?  The city is attempting to clean up some of the trash around the city and also improve the overall appearance of the city, which is a good thing.  What is the time line for getting the new Waynesville "city hall" cleaned up so they can start doing the needed work to get it updated.  I drove by the place last week and it has been cleaned up a lot since the deal was made, however, looked like there still is a lot of work to accomplish.

Offline matrsnot

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2007, 01:59:24 PM »
The "city".  Well they sensationalized Joe's little "trial".  Was it unsightly?  How many really know?  Ever drive by the home he lives in?  I am sure that the many people driving by his place on a daily basis see it.  It is a dead end road.  They must have been looking for someone to pick on and found this out of the way home to do it with.  I am not defending Joe necessarily as much as stating the little mini-dictators have tasted power now.  Look out.  Govt is in your business......

Offline Yankee Trader

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2007, 02:47:40 PM »
Couldn't agree more Taz. That's one reason I live in the county!  I would never live in a city again because it is just that.....one tells on the other and vice versa.  We see it all the time with the exparte procedures.  The thought is you got one on me so I am gonna go get one on you!

Offline Just_a_Biker

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2007, 04:14:37 PM »
WOWZERS!!  What a varied response...  Well, I for one have to agree with Taz & Yankee Trader; a Government is supposed to REPRESENT the people it governs, NOT repress them!  For those of you who complain about your neighbors yard and tell them to move to the country where they can live like they want; I say YOU move to a GATED community where EVERYONE there agrees to the rules & regulations set forth.  I'm not saying that everything the WNAB is doing is wrong, but I do feel that they are going about it the WRONG WAY.  An article in the newspaper such as was printed borders on DEFAMATION.  How would the city like a defamation suit filed against them?  There are such things as extenuating circumstances, it appears to me that the WNAB is picking & choosing WHO has extenuating circumstances based on WHO the individual is, not on their circumstances.  Why should someone who's on vacation out of state, but has done nothing to comply with the board, receive an extra month to clean up their yard while someone who's having serious medical problems, but doing what they can when they can, be chastised & ridiculed in a public forum?  Yes, I was at PART of the last meeting before leaving in disgust at the manner in which the board conducted themselves; and that was BEFORE the article came out in the DG.

I agree with cleaning up the city and improving things, but there needs to be a system of checks and balances, and oh by the way, some TACT would go a LONG way in gaining the respect of the citizens they are trying to govern...  As for the DG article, from what I witnessed of the meeting there was a bit of sensationalism in the article, and some quotes taken out of context...  Take a look at the addresses of the properties listed in the paper as well, seems they are targeting dead-end streets and quiet neighborhoods, why not concentrate on the "Waynesville Slums"??  I'd also be interested to know if any of the people's neighbors complained, or does the WNAB just drive around town & pick who's houses they don't like???  I'm thinking of getting some pink flamingo's & some plastic deer for my front yard ;)
The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. Cicero - 55 BC, Rome

Offline Just_a_Biker

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2007, 04:18:48 PM »
The members of the Abatement Board are appointed by the mayor with council approval.  They are volunteers.  The ordinance allows for citizens to appeal an abatement order by appearing before the Board.  Hope that answers your questions.  I am a council member from Ward 3 in Waynesville.  Thank you for your interest.

Luge, thanks for the response; I would love the opportunity to sit down with you and get a better handle on this situation for my own perspective.

Offline luge

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2007, 07:02:07 PM »
Biker,  I would be more than happy to meet you at Starbucks and bring you a copy of the ordinance.  I appreciate the interest in this issue.  Luge

Offline Trix

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2007, 02:37:46 AM »
I still think it needs to be cleaned up and make it look nice if it looks like that on the outside then you know what the inside looks like so put it in a shed so no one has to look at a mess or buy 5 acres and move in the middle of it and if neighbors call and complain then they go and check it out!

Offline Geezer Glide Taz

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2007, 01:42:12 PM »
I still think it needs to be cleaned up and make it look nice if it looks like that on the outside then you know what the inside looks like so put it in a shed so no one has to look at a mess or buy 5 acres and move in the middle of it and if neighbors call and complain then they go and check it out!
But who give who the right to say what is unsightly. I hate Pomona (spelling?) trees because they kill all the grass around them, and after they bloom, and the flowers die, they litter the ground with all that mess. So, if you happened to have one of those trees, which I find unsightly, does that give me the right to call the yard police to review your yard, and if they also don't like those trees, so you should cut those down and remove them since other people find them unsightly.
Because that is what you are all saying. I find that junk (you call it that but maybe to another it is not junk) unsightly so that give you the right to call the yard police and tell them to clean it up.
I think people with that ugly blue color houses are unsightly, so, all of them need to be repainted.
Again, if it is not causing any type of health hazard, or vermin issue, who give who the right to say what is unsightly or not. So if it does not look like the cover of Country Homes magazine, it is unsightly?
Get a hobby people instead of worrying about what the neighbors are doing. The more rights you give away, the more freedoms you loose. As soon as all the witch hunting is done for what people consider junky now, then what, do you think it stops there, no, then the yard ornaments come into play. Or maybe too many trees, or too many cars in the yard, junk or not. Maybe your paint on your house is faded, and the neighbors think your faded house is causing their house to depreciate.
Oh god, lets get rid of all those unsightly satellite dishes, you donít see then in Popular Homes Magazine 
Freedom Of Road Riders,

dawndarwin

« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2007, 02:12:18 PM »
I have a question for this self righteous board. How can they see debris in someones back yard? I didn't think anyone could go in your back yard. Isn't that trespassing? After that article who would want to fight them they just try to ruin your name in the community. I know someone who had two cars that didn't have a license on them they were told to put them in the drive way and they did that. Then they got a notice from the board saying they weren't allowed to have them unless they had a garage to put them in. They are fixing these cars up for there children. So I guess if you don't make enough money to have a garage or to buy your children cars that are new and don't need worked on they don't want you in the city limits. I also know someone that had some stuff in their back yard that you can't see any other way but to go into their yard and they got a notice. As far as I am concerned the people on this board have somekind of problem that they need to insult other people an point out their faults in order to hide their own. Here is my advice see a doctor and get some help don't use other people to get over your own personal problems.

Offline Lepard LLC

• Activist
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2007, 02:35:53 PM »
I must admit this abatement board got me to thinking, and I went down town yesterday and power washed a home I own there. LOL

Boy did it need it.  Waynesville looks better now. I did notice the neighbor down there needs to do the same, their white house looks green.

Offline Princess_KA

• Always look eye...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2007, 02:57:21 PM »
I have a question for this self righteous board. How can they see debris in someones back yard? I didn't think anyone could go in your back yard. Isn't that trespassing? After that article who would want to fight them they just try to ruin your name in the community. I know someone who had two cars that didn't have a license on them they were told to put them in the drive way and they did that. Then they got a notice from the board saying they weren't allowed to have them unless they had a garage to put them in. They are fixing these cars up for there children. So I guess if you don't make enough money to have a garage or to buy your children cars that are new and don't need worked on they don't want you in the city limits. I also know someone that had some stuff in their back yard that you can't see any other way but to go into their yard and they got a notice. As far as I am concerned the people on this board have somekind of problem that they need to insult other people an point out their faults in order to hide their own. Here is my advice see a doctor and get some help don't use other people to get over your own personal problems.

Wow.  That is all really bad.  There has to be some kind line drawn.  What you're describing sounds like a gestapo coming in, passing judgment on you, and then advertising it.  You know I hadn't heard of them going into backyards and what not.  And Taz and Biker have nearly swayed me over into changing my position as far as the abatement being good.  So does this board have no guidelines as to what is 'unsitely' and a 'nuisance'?

Offline fknarmyguyretired

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2007, 03:11:30 PM »
Rick, you better report that house to the city inspector so he/she can earn thier money and protect the value of your property.

I must admit this abatement board got me to thinking, and I went down town yesterday and power washed a home I own there. LOL

Boy did it need it.  Waynesville looks better now. I did notice the neighbor down there needs to do the same, their white house looks green.

Offline Yankee Trader

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2007, 03:42:31 PM »
If a neighbor complained about anothers 'junk' in a fenced back yard I am sure that they would let the 'inspector' in their yard to peek over the fence. Plausable??

Offline matrsnot

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2007, 05:51:14 PM »
Staying away Crazy Horse.  I just don't like St. Louis.  Know what I mean?

Offline Geezer Glide Taz

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2007, 06:27:13 PM »
Wow.  That is all really bad.  There has to be some kind line drawn.  What you're describing sounds like a gestapo coming in, passing judgment on you, and then advertising it.  You know I hadn't heard of them going into backyards and what not.  And Taz and Biker have nearly swayed me over into changing my position as far as the abatement being good.  So does this board have no guidelines as to what is 'unsitely' and a 'nuisance'?
Princess, come to the dark side
Freedom Of Road Riders,

Offline Irish

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2007, 06:29:31 PM »
Just remember it was the "newspaper" that decided to put it on the front page, there have been others before the board, but the DG thought it would sell more papers by printing "Citizen of the Year" story.   I am also a Councilman, and will gladly sit down, with the Ord, and talk it over with anyone.  If you have some good ideas on how to fix things, give me a call.

Ed Conley, 3rd Ward

Offline Lepard LLC

• Activist
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2007, 09:01:02 PM »
Ed? Are they ticketing for mold on siding?

Just remember it was the "newspaper" that decided to put it on the front page, there have been others before the board, but the DG thought it would sell more papers by printing "Citizen of the Year" story.   I am also a Councilman, and will gladly sit down, with the Ord, and talk it over with anyone.  If you have some good ideas on how to fix things, give me a call.

Ed Conley, 3rd Ward

Offline Irish

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2007, 09:07:43 PM »
Not as far as I know, are you wanting to get one???   ;D

Offline Just_a_Biker

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2007, 09:12:04 PM »

Ed Conley, 3rd Ward
Welcome to the fight Ed; I think this forum may have some value added after all.  I would love the opportunity to sit down with you and luge and talk about this; luge already suggested Starbucks, now we just need to decide on a date & time;preferably before Tuesday's elections.
I'm pretty sure I've said this before, but just in case I haven't I'll say it again; I don't think WHAT the board is doing is wrong, I believe HOW they are doing it is WRONG!  I concur with Taz's recommendation regarding what is considered a nucience and what is not, if there is not a health issue there then it's not a nucience.  The city needs to stop enacting rules / regulations to "govern" us based on a few peoples perspectives & opinions.  If the city wants flower beds & rose gardens for everyone thats just not going to happen.  Those communities are PRIVATE communities, not "normal" city residents.  That's why people pay the big bucks to get homes in those private communities, because they have a specific idea of how they want to live & how they expect their neighbors to live.  That's why those private communities have agreements that must be signed before moving in, and that's how they can get away with micro-managing how people live, because they agreed to that way of life BEFORE moving in.

What happened to people policing up their own neighborhoods?  My job requires me to travel often, and if my neighbor sees my grass getting a little too tall he comes over and cuts it for me because he knows I'm on the road.  After the ice storm I went up & down my street for a week with a chain saw cleaning up debris in the yards of my neighbors, because I knew they were elderly and couldn't do it themselves.  I know my neighbors don't appreciate my loud truck or my motorcycle.  How do I know that?  Because THEY TOLD ME, they didn't go running off to someone and crying about it.  AND, because they voiced their concerns I now keep my "noisy vehicles" to a minimum and mitigate the issue as much as possible.  BUT, I can tell you that my neighbors were EXTREMELY GRATEFUL of my noisy truck when I was using it to clean up their yards after the ice storm!!

Princess, come to the dark side
lol... Yes Princesss, WELCOME!