Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • littlebit: Makes sense.
    July 16, 2017, 04:40:28 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Boards will stay open for a place people can find history information longer. I am not allowing anyone to sign up for now because of so many foreginers just wanting to promote their business..
    December 10, 2016, 05:10:27 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Not sure why didn't look, I may be shutting down these message boards..
    November 17, 2016, 12:42:43 AM
  • ~kathy~: rick why is the timestamp showing up a day in advance?
    September 13, 2016, 12:27:46 AM
  • Valor7: What I tried to say is that the actual money would not be there that quick. But a loan against that would work if they are willing to do that.
    August 08, 2016, 01:51:51 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Why so long before it comes online? 911 took out a loan or bond with the known guarantee payment and began building..
    August 08, 2016, 07:46:34 AM
  • Valor7: Actually no it is not, a dependable Revenue stream will not come on line until the 4th quarter of 2017 so 2018 budget will be up in the air, not quite sure what they will have. By 2019 budget all will be well.
    August 04, 2016, 09:27:17 PM
  • Valor7: You mean that tax that the Commissioners would not put on the ballot for so many years? Strange things happened when the citizens got a chance to vote on that issue.
    August 03, 2016, 06:43:06 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Back up is now available withe the new tax..
    August 03, 2016, 05:01:35 PM
  • Valor7: Thanks a lot Ladies!!
    July 29, 2016, 01:16:13 PM
  • littlebit: ((*(*&
    July 27, 2016, 03:47:52 PM
  • ~kathy~: lol
    July 15, 2016, 09:34:56 AM
  • Valor7: A guy could get killed around here while waiting for backup!
    July 13, 2016, 07:31:58 PM
  • Lepard LLC: You are not alone..
    July 13, 2016, 07:28:53 PM
  • Valor7: I just hate it when I talk to myself!!!!
    July 08, 2016, 12:54:09 PM
  • Valor7: I could have worded that better, we talked details, options, the pros and cons of each, in  order to arrive at the best ballot language to present to the voters. Hope that makes this clearer.
    April 15, 2016, 06:36:14 PM
  • Valor7: sorry about the typos still working with just one arm in action
    April 13, 2016, 01:10:42 PM
  • Valor7: Yes and no. We talked details and options until we were blue in the face but I never heardbring it over, it was always the time was not right for the issue to pass. Glad to see the time in now right and I for one shall vote yes on the ballot. I would urge all others to do the sameour county is busting at the seams crimewise and no matter how many bad guys we send off there always seems to someone to replace them. The Sheriff's Office needs the help.
    April 13, 2016, 01:08:35 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Is that true Valor? Did he ask you what you wanted?
    March 01, 2016, 04:55:37 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Gene Newkirk Rick I have waited for a Sheriff to bring it to me on what he wanted. I have pushed Mr long for a while to get it to me. He told me he was close to having or done. Now hopefully the people will get to decide on it. I spoke with Steve about this a few times.
    March 01, 2016, 04:54:54 AM
  • Kimberly: Wow- I have a new name..........
    February 23, 2016, 10:25:15 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Works on mine, improvements are being done here. I may kick back into her a lot and post but working on different technologies right now. Seeing how things interact.
    January 18, 2016, 09:01:20 AM
  • Valor7: Yes it is working. If you need a laugh the wife showed me how to correctly use the silly thing.
    January 04, 2016, 05:32:59 PM
  • Valor7: Think so, mine is trying to work but it is now user and password protected and I dont know mine
    December 17, 2015, 01:32:16 PM
  • "DJ": Is there still a working android app for the PCSD
    December 14, 2015, 08:14:53 PM

Author Topic: Waynesville Nuisance Abatement Board  (Read 39963 times)

Offline Lepard LLC

• Activist
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Waynesville Nuisance Abatement Board
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2007, 09:33:50 PM »

Share/Bookmark

Offline Yankee Trader

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2007, 09:49:32 PM »
Well Rick....I think you have your answer regarding this message boards use for the community and now the knowledge that folks are discussing issues with their elected officials on here.  Congrats!

Offline Lepard LLC

• Activist
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2007, 10:17:40 PM »
Well, I already knew they were here, it is just nice to see more speak up.

Well Rick....I think you have your answer regarding this message boards use for the community and now the knowledge that folks are discussing issues with their elected officials on here.  Congrats!

Offline Princess_KA

• Always look eye...
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2007, 01:49:39 AM »
Thanks for the welcome Taz & Biker...The Darkside isn't looking too bad!
 ;D

Offline Irish

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2007, 06:21:59 PM »
Monday morning at 10, if that's good with you and Luge..........

Offline Just_a_Biker

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2007, 06:58:37 PM »
Monday morning at 10, if that's good with you and Luge..........
Monday at 10 works for me Irish, how about you Luge?

Well, I already knew they were here, it is just nice to see more speak up.
lol... Well, some of us have been "Message Board Voyeurs" for quite some time now, but there comes a time when you must become involved to a certain degree...  If you're not part of the solution then you're part of the problem!

Thanks for the welcome Taz & Biker...The Darkside isn't looking too bad!
 ;D
lol... Nope, it sure isn't!
The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. Cicero - 55 BC, Rome

zarkee

« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2007, 01:59:30 PM »
Can anyone come and sip coffee and chat, or is this a reelection stunt to defuse the angst of those who have been wronged by the city? I would do this publicly at a town hall meeting with all residents of the city who want to attend. Do not get me wrong on this I favor cleaning up the mess in town, but I believe there may be some problems with the semantics's of the process with over zealous enforcement. I would love to see a public forum at the community center to get all sides of the issue. I would like to see the council/mayor present their personal opinions on the matter and not hide behind the more outspoken ones who seem to do all the ranting. Silence is bliss, but it is also a sign of weakness.

Some very valid points on this thread but the deeper issue may be the handling of the overall process. Running someone up the flagpole because of an unlicensed vehicle being taken out of a garage is BS. Look at the constant barrage of junk heaps on display along Old Route 66. Seems that home owners are easier targets than the stuff downtown. Just-a-Biker seems to support the ordinance, but it sounds like he might have gotten selected in the easier path to make an impression by the city. Granted I do not know all the facts, but a public town hall gripe session may help clear the air on whats going on. Luge does this work into your schedule? You want the downtown area cleaned up, how about it?

Offline Irish

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2007, 09:43:18 PM »
This was a response to Just a bikers request for a the opportunity to sit down and talk about the problem.  It is not an official meeting of any kind, I am willing to sit down with any citizen and talk about any problem they have, or any solution that they might want to propose. 

Offline luge

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2007, 04:50:35 AM »
I would love to meet anyone to discuss the issues.  I am always amazed at the differing views and I do respect them.  I will be at Starbucks at 10:00 Monday morning.  Hopefully, Ed will be there too...We will also be discussing some of the issues raised on this website at our Economic Development meeting on Tuesday evening at 5:00 at City Hall.  We are also concerned about the way the process is being handled.  The intention of the City was not to run rough shod over people but to begin some methodical process to help clean up our City and change the attitude of people who, I believe, infringe on the rights of their neighbors.  Living in a city is much different than living in the countryside.  You have to be mindful of your neighbors and your impact on them.  I also have neighbors, like the Biker; ones who watch out for the neighborhood but some people do not have that luxury.  It has been so interesting reading the thoughts on the website.  I have never replied but have been a lurker for several years.  It if also fun recognizing my old students and appreciating their civic responsibility.  It is the constructive criticism that I take to heart.   There are some who think we council members get paid for what we do, we don't.  Someone even said we probably buy cars with our grant money.  Wow!  If they only knew the time and effort that we all put into this volunteer job.  I am here because I want to make my City a better place to live.  That's how you make change, stepping up with some ideas.  Anyway, I will be a Starbucks in the morning at 10:00....Thanks again for all the constructive ideas.

Offline Just_a_Biker

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 02, 2007, 09:49:03 AM »
Can anyone come and sip coffee and chat, or is this a reelection stunt to defuse the angst of those who have been wronged by the city? I would do this publicly at a town hall meeting with all residents of the city who want to attend. Do not get me wrong on this I favor cleaning up the mess in town, but I believe there may be some problems with the semantics's of the process with over zealous enforcement. I would love to see a public forum at the community center to get all sides of the issue. I would like to see the council/mayor present their personal opinions on the matter and not hide behind the more outspoken ones who seem to do all the ranting. Silence is bliss, but it is also a sign of weakness.

VERY Good Idea Avery!  And I hope you are wrong about the "reelection stunt to defuse the angst of those who have been wronged"...

Some very valid points on this thread but the deeper issue may be the handling of the overall process. Running someone up the flagpole because of an unlicensed vehicle being taken out of a garage is BS. Look at the constant barrage of junk heaps on display along Old Route 66. Seems that home owners are easier targets than the stuff downtown. Just-a-Biker seems to support the ordinance, but it sounds like he might have gotten selected in the easier path to make an impression by the city.
You hit the nail on the head Avery!

As I believe I said earlier, I have never been involved in local politics because it never "concerned" me... BUT, when I do get involved in something I dive in with both feet and see it through until I'm satisfied at its resolution...  I look forward to coffee this morning and welcome ANYONE else that wants to sit & chat to come join us for an informal information sharing exercise :)
The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. Cicero - 55 BC, Rome

Offline kbohon

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 03, 2007, 03:40:55 AM »
The whole idea of nuisance regulation is that it hurts your neighbors, your neighborhoods, and your tax revenues when property values decline because areas look unappealing. It's not a matter of government simply interfering in individual's lives.

Most nuisance regulations around the country that I have seen don't prevent a person from keeping all the junk they want to - so long as it's behind a fenced area where people don't have to see it, and so long as it's not posing a fire or health hazard.

I think I posted something on another board about how where I am from (Phoenix, AZ) the city tickets people not only for the things left around, but for not tending their yards, not keeping their houses painted and in good repair, etc. They get 30 days to clean it. If they don't clean it, they get a ticket with a fine and another 30 days. If they still don't clean it, the city will do it and charge the resident, with a lien placed on the property like they do with unpaid taxes here.

The people who are here might not like this now, but it will pay off for them later when they sell their house, leave it to the kids, or whatever. The increased property values result in a better tax base and economy for the area. That, along with the fines imposed, can also help with funding things like emergency services, road repair, etc. The end result is more attractiveness to businesses, increased growth, and more economic prosperity overall.
Heck is where people go when they don't believe in Gosh.

Offline noseyneighbor

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 03, 2007, 10:58:52 AM »
I did not read the article in the (not so daily) Daily Guide.   I wonder how the Chamber Board feels about one of their own (Mr. Goodridge) trashing the Citizen of the Year the Chamber just honored.    Why did the title Citizen of the year have to be printed anyway, was he mentioned by title in the meeting?  This is not the first time the (Not So Daily) Daily Guide has stepped out to defamate someone that was mentioned in a meeting.  My suggestion stop advertsing and subscribing to their trashy gossiping publication for 6 to 9 months and they might go away.. or get a defamation law suit going.   Perhaps the people mentioning these names in these meetings should pay attention to how they address these people also. That publisher (Mr. Goodridge) doesn't care what goes on here he and his family live in Rolla!    Just my opinion.

Offline Trix

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 03, 2007, 12:32:40 PM »
Yes I believe that's how it was said. At least the Daily Guide prints it like it was said don't candy coat it just drive by and look for yourself at the neighborhoods and you will get a good idea. The city of Lebanon has no ord. on burning trash in the back yard or trash in the front yard, so you see a pretty house and then a dump next door just drive through Lebanon behind The Police station in Lebanon and you will see what I mean. Let's keep our City Pretty and be PROUD of our town

Offline Geezer Glide Taz

• Land Of The Free, Because Of The Brave
  • Riding Vertical Shiny Side Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 03, 2007, 01:14:21 PM »
So wait, Lebanon has no such "Yard Police Ordinance" and yet their property value has not gone through the basement, more big business and factories went these before coming here, All those stores and restaurants that you all want opened up there and not here. There are more civilian jobs there that do not rely on the post there, yet they have a large "Support the Fort" club there, and they also have a large number of military that live there.
So all the reasons that have been given as to what will happen to this community if we don't "clean up our neighbors" did not and has not happened in Lebanon. Lebanon's commercial business is booming, real estate is prospering, their tax issues are not an issue. So, besides you not liking how someones yard looks (if it has no health issues) is the only reason we are running around with this witch hunt.
Maybe, instead of worrying about whose yard does not meet Town and Country magazine, the elected officials of this community worry more about attracting more larger business's here, produce some tax incentives for them to come here, to create more employment that is not reliant on the Fort to survive, more money would come into the community, more jobs, things might take care of themselves.
Freedom Of Road Riders,
Protecting and informing riders in Missouri
www.midamericafreedomrally.com

Please watch out for Motorcycles on the road
The life you save might be mine

Offline kbohon

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 03, 2007, 02:48:39 PM »
So wait, Lebanon has no such "Yard Police Ordinance" and yet their property value has not gone through the basement, more big business and factories went these before coming here, All those stores and restaurants that you all want opened up there and not here. There are more civilian jobs there that do not rely on the post there, yet they have a large "Support the Fort" club there, and they also have a large number of military that live there.
So all the reasons that have been given as to what will happen to this community if we don't "clean up our neighbors" did not and has not happened in Lebanon. Lebanon's commercial business is booming, real estate is prospering, their tax issues are not an issue. So, besides you not liking how someones yard looks (if it has no health issues) is the only reason we are running around with this witch hunt.
Maybe, instead of worrying about whose yard does not meet Town and Country magazine, the elected officials of this community worry more about attracting more larger business's here, produce some tax incentives for them to come here, to create more employment that is not reliant on the Fort to survive, more money would come into the community, more jobs, things might take care of themselves.

Tax incentives are part of it. Also the fact that most national corporations consider FLW to be "temporary" residents means they don't count the population of the post as part of the market potential here.

All of these things matter when it comes to developing the area, and just because one thing is missing doesn't mean that the others aren't also needed.

Offline matrsnot

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 03, 2007, 05:45:14 PM »
The Nuisances Committee is a subjective opinion.  Again, they are going at dead end roads for some of these people and I suspect they are picking out some that will make the news so they can justify their new appointments.  They come out to my place and tell me I have to move my 19' van and we may have some words.  Heated words and they will be kicked off the property.....if they get on to start with. Now I am in no danger of this happening as I live in the county and am not subject to the little tyrants.  If they ever get that far, then I will call 911 with a trespass ememrgency to handle.

zarkee

« Reply #46 on: April 04, 2007, 10:50:36 AM »
Awfully quite from the folks who got together to chat over coffee. How did it go. It amazes me how folk who do not live in the city limits have all the insight into the affairs of city committee's. I also hear alot about how county folks do not want big brother coming near their homestead, but will raise holy cow at the county commissioners not protecting them from rabid developer's who should be held to some sort of regulation to protect them.

My opinion is unless we are the ones sitting on the inside and know the facts of each and every case presented, than we are a part of the problem with providing conjecture, rumors and ill-informed banter. Relying on Darryll (sp) at the Daily Guide to be accurate is nothing short of ludicrous. County living is country living, and should never be regulated (unless you feel like those mentioned previously). City living is a completely different circumstance, and the city relies heavily on growth and revenue. If a community is turned into a trash heap, it is just that. If measures are taken to ensure the health and safety of the community are a priority, you then have a livable community that will attract growth in business and residential development. Do not make a community run down like the inner-city of the larger city's. Keep your junk, just keep it out of harms way.

Offline Trix

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 04, 2007, 10:58:06 AM »
Amen on the way they look at Ft Wood residents they don't count the Post when they survey the Jobs around here Wal Mart doesn't count the jobs on post when they look at the wages of their employees so they pay more in Rolla and Lebanon.  I just want my neighbors to get off their A-- and mow their yard they don't have to remodel if I can use a weedeater  and I'm 20 yrs older than both my neighbors then I'm sure they can get off their cans and mow also or get their wife to help or do they like living in a pig sty that's not asking too much I wasn't raised to live in a messy environment and if they are too lazy then ask for help there's help for people who need it

Offline luge

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 04, 2007, 01:17:57 PM »
We did meet at Starbuck's Monday and I just have not had the time to sit and write a response.  I was hoping that Biker would give his opinion.  We had a good discussion about the process.  The City has a good ordinance and like any new idea, there are a few things to be ironed out.  At our Economic Development meeting last night, we discussed some of the concerns that have been aired by citizens of Waynesville.  Most all the responses I have gotten have been favorable toward our efforts and I beleive, my re-election last night confirmed the desire of my Ward for the Council to continue our efforts to clean up our town.  As a committee we determined that the priorities for the nuisance ordinance should be 1. the health and welfare of our citizens and 2.  the businesses along Route 66, as they hinder economic development.  Those will be the focus of the City and then, let the process work, as neighbors begin to work with each other to correct specific things in their neighborhoods.  In fact, at the Starbuck's meeting a citizen came in and asked how to go about beginning the process.

The people who met at Starbuck's all agreed that the intention of the ordinance is good.  The process is being perceived as too aggressive by some.  But the City is dedicated to being fair in their enforcement.  That is all I can say to allay some of the fears of people. Some people are saying some things that are not true and not being constructive in anyway.  Like Avery, our overriding concern is protecting property rights and property values of our neighborhoods in Waynesville.  Neglect and non-enforcement of existing ordinances was allowed for so long that it will take an complete change of attitude for some people in our community. 

Hope this helps and I pledge myself to being fair and open-minded.   Biker, Avery and several others,  I appreciate your comments; as they are constructive.

Offline Lepard LLC

• Activist
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 04, 2007, 01:54:06 PM »
Congratulations on your election win yesterday Luge.

We did meet at Starbuck's Monday and I just have not had the time to sit and write a response.  I was hoping that Biker would give his opinion.  We had a good discussion about the process.  The City has a good ordinance and like any new idea, there are a few things to be ironed out.  At our Economic Development meeting last night, we discussed some of the concerns that have been aired by citizens of Waynesville.  Most all the responses I have gotten have been favorable toward our efforts and I beleive, my re-election last night confirmed the desire of my Ward for the Council to continue our efforts to clean up our town.  As a committee we determined that the priorities for the nuisance ordinance should be 1. the health and welfare of our citizens and 2.  the businesses along Route 66, as they hinder economic development.  Those will be the focus of the City and then, let the process work, as neighbors begin to work with each other to correct specific things in their neighborhoods.  In fact, at the Starbuck's meeting a citizen came in and asked how to go about beginning the process.

The people who met at Starbuck's all agreed that the intention of the ordinance is good.  The process is being perceived as too aggressive by some.  But the City is dedicated to being fair in their enforcement.  That is all I can say to allay some of the fears of people. Some people are saying some things that are not true and not being constructive in anyway.  Like Avery, our overriding concern is protecting property rights and property values of our neighborhoods in Waynesville.  Neglect and non-enforcement of existing ordinances was allowed for so long that it will take an complete change of attitude for some people in our community. 

Hope this helps and I pledge myself to being fair and open-minded.   Biker, Avery and several others,  I appreciate your comments; as they are constructive.

Offline Lepard LLC

• Activist
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 04, 2007, 02:03:57 PM »
I might add that St. Robert has been doing this for a while with not near as much controversy.

Offline kbohon

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 04, 2007, 02:29:09 PM »
I might add that St. Robert has been doing this for a while with not near as much controversy.

They have? There's a lot of work still to be done.

Offline Just_a_Biker

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 04, 2007, 05:04:24 PM »
Sorry for not posting a quicker response regarding our meeting at Starbucks.  I had intended on posting a reply as soon as we finished up, but unfortunately my schedule hasn't permitted me to do so before now.  I'd like to start out by thanking Luge & Irish for meeting with me on Monday, in my opinion THAT is what small town government is all about!

So, with that being said, lets get to the meat & potatoes of the issue.  Luge provided me a copy of the ordnance, which I've read in detail since then.  The ordnance is written (in my opinion) very well, I would make a couple of minor changes personally, but overall it's very good.  Luge & Irish both expressed their concern about the ENFORCEMENT practices of the ordnance before we even got started talking; I have to agree with them, the ordnance is not the problem, it's the WAY the WNAB is going about its identification & enforcement.  The citizen that Luge mentioned came in during our meeting brought pictures of her neighbors yards, which was EXACTLY what the ordnance was designed to prevent.  Appliances & furniture overgrown with weeds stacked up against the side of the house, if you ask me that IS a health issue and SHOULD be addressed by the WNAB (EXACTLY what Taz has been saying should be the focus of the ordnance).  The meeting was very informative and extremely helpful from a citizen's viewpoint.  I was provided with background on how the ordnance was drafted, how the members are appointed and most importantly, what the INTENT of the ordnance was when the city council drafted it.

With all that being said, I'm still not happy with the WNAB.  The ordnance itself is good in my opinion, but the WNAB needs to check themselves with regard to how they are conducting business.  For those of you who haven't figured it out yet, I am the citizen with the unregistered Jeep in my driveway.  I started this thread WITHOUT coming out & saying who I was because I wanted to see objective opinions on both sides of the issue before moving forward.  Now I will say this, I'm not the best neighbor, and my house surely isn't going to make it into Better Homes & Gardens Magazine.  After receiving the original notice (which was for an un-registered Chevy vehicle) I looked over my property and made some changes.  I ignored the first notice because I do not own a Chevy and the Jeep was parked inside the garage at the time, so I assumed that the notice was sent to the wrong address.  I received a 2nd notice to appear before the board to resolve the issue of my unregistered CHEVY, so I went to the meeting.  When it was my turn to present my case it was simple, I told them I didn't own a Chevy.  That was when the WNAB informed me that they were mistaken and were in fact talking about my DODGE pickup, to which I showed them the registration and proof of insurance.  Once I showed compliance I was given the 3rd degree about how long it had been registered (since I moved here in 1999) and why it was "HIDDEN" in the back yard if it was legal (Because it's an UGLY truck and I know that!).  It was ONLY after I answered each of the WNAB's questions with responses that they could not find fault with that the Jeep was brought up...  THAT folks, is when I became infuriated and felt like I was being singled out and attacked in a public forrum.  It appeared to me that the WNAB "had" to find something wrong at that point, why I have NO IDEA, but I'm telling you that was how I felt as a citizen "appearing" before this board.  To recap, 1) I recieved a written notice in the mail with incorrect information, 2) I received a 2nd notice in the mail directing me to appear before the board, STILL with incorrect information, 3) once I appeared before the board they gave me the 3rd degree and the appearance that I was being dishonest and/or "sneaky", 4) only AFTER the board could find nothing further wrong with my original "nuisance" did they bring up something else, 5) the board (overall) lacks tact, discretion, vision and focus.

I will say that there are other things around my property that could have been identified by the WNAB inspector (leaves, branches, tires), but they were not.  Going back to the original intent of the ordnance, those other things pose a MUCH greater "Health Risk" than an un-registered vehicle does... Which leads me back to the question of HOW does the board determine what is a nuisance and what is not?    I stand by my statement that the INTENT of the ordnance is right and just, however the members of the WNAB, or how they conduct themselves NEEDS to be governed just a bit closer by our elected officials.

Offline ghost_of_notsniw

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 04, 2007, 05:33:49 PM »
Ahhhh power.

Laws and codes are only as good as the people willing to enforce them.

Sometimes when people get into a position of power, they do everything they can to justify their position, and that can often lead to a lot of clashes.

Since the nuisance board is relatively new, there are going to be a ton of growing pains and a lot of give and take. 

The line delineating the people's right to privacy and the neighborhood's right to ....high property values (new one to me, must have been slipped into the Constitution when nobody was looking) hasn't been drawn in the sand yet.  When it is established just what should be done, to whom and by whom, the board will become background noise.

Until then, both the town and board will go through a lot of growing pains.

dawndarwin

« Reply #54 on: April 04, 2007, 10:42:13 PM »
my biggest issues that I wish someone could answer is 1) how can they see in a fenced back yard that has neighbors that are also fenced and nothing but a ditch behind it and 2)how are people suppose to fix up a car for a child if you can't have an unregistered car in your driveway that is also fenced. 3)how do they choose who will recieve the notice and why do some people have cars in their yard that have been their for yearsssss and nothing has been done.

Offline matrsnot

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 05, 2007, 10:07:00 AM »
Ok, now look at it from the perspective of the Nuisances.  They have power now and they are gong to exert it and do it as publicly as possible.  It is an intimidation factor.  Just a Biker was "summoned" to the presence and they could not let it go when they found out they were flat out wrong.  It is human nature to defend yourself and the "board" was wrong.  They just had to find something to bitch about in order to cover their tracks.  My days of being inspected are behind me and have been since I left the military.  A good question was posed.  If the yard is fenced in, then how did the "board" get in to look?  Did they trespass or are they now above the law too?  I believe they need an attitude adjustment.  Thank God I live in the County.

Offline Trix

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 05, 2007, 01:04:45 PM »
All it takes is for a neighbor to get fed up and go to the city and sign a abatement form and then you have them come and walk in your back yard and let them look for their selves I would be more than happy to let them come and look in my backyard on both sides of me and all it boils down to is just plain ole LAZY people not mowing or picking up there trash, and your right if you don't want to live in the city move to the country where your the only one who has to look at  like you want to live either clean or in a PIG pin.

Offline Princess_KA

• Always look eye...
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 05, 2007, 01:13:56 PM »
Luge & Biker - Thank you so much for your informative posts on this discussion.  I guess I am still at my original opinion on this -
"Abatement = good
Plastering negative campaign against some guy because of who he is = bad"
Hopefully someone from the WNAB will learn from the controversy caused by this last incident and work out the kinks where this ordinance can be used as it was meant to be used: As a means of protecting the health and welfare of the community and to promote growth - not to wield it around like you have the Power of Greyskull.

Offline matrsnot

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 05, 2007, 03:29:56 PM »
Just to reassure.  I keep my grass cut and the area clean.  Not that it affects anyone here, but I am not defensive about it.  Just fed up with little tyrants.

Offline Just_a_Biker

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 05, 2007, 04:22:17 PM »
my biggest issues that I wish someone could answer is 2)how are people suppose to fix up a car for a child if you can't have an unregistered car in your driveway that is also fenced. 3)how do they choose who will recieve the notice and why do some people have cars in their yard that have been their for yearsssss and nothing has been done.

Dawn, you are absolutely correct, however I believe Luge & Irish when they said they would address the issue and ensure the ordnance was being enforced in the manner in which it was intended to be.  Trix is exactly right, if a neighbor files a complaint then the WNAB should investigate, but not go out "looking" for unregistered vehicles.  Now, if that vehicle is up on blocks with weeds taller than the car and has squirrels & chipmunks taking drivers ed inside, that's when I'd see an issue.  A vehicle being restored, fixed, etc. that's still in good working order with NO HEALTH ISSUES associated with it should be left alone... (my opinion again)