Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • littlebit: Makes sense.
    July 16, 2017, 04:40:28 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Boards will stay open for a place people can find history information longer. I am not allowing anyone to sign up for now because of so many foreginers just wanting to promote their business..
    December 10, 2016, 05:10:27 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Not sure why didn't look, I may be shutting down these message boards..
    November 17, 2016, 12:42:43 AM
  • ~kathy~: rick why is the timestamp showing up a day in advance?
    September 13, 2016, 12:27:46 AM
  • Valor7: What I tried to say is that the actual money would not be there that quick. But a loan against that would work if they are willing to do that.
    August 08, 2016, 01:51:51 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Why so long before it comes online? 911 took out a loan or bond with the known guarantee payment and began building..
    August 08, 2016, 07:46:34 AM
  • Valor7: Actually no it is not, a dependable Revenue stream will not come on line until the 4th quarter of 2017 so 2018 budget will be up in the air, not quite sure what they will have. By 2019 budget all will be well.
    August 04, 2016, 09:27:17 PM
  • Valor7: You mean that tax that the Commissioners would not put on the ballot for so many years? Strange things happened when the citizens got a chance to vote on that issue.
    August 03, 2016, 06:43:06 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Back up is now available withe the new tax..
    August 03, 2016, 05:01:35 PM
  • Valor7: Thanks a lot Ladies!!
    July 29, 2016, 01:16:13 PM
  • littlebit: ((*(*&
    July 27, 2016, 03:47:52 PM
  • ~kathy~: lol
    July 15, 2016, 09:34:56 AM
  • Valor7: A guy could get killed around here while waiting for backup!
    July 13, 2016, 07:31:58 PM
  • Lepard LLC: You are not alone..
    July 13, 2016, 07:28:53 PM
  • Valor7: I just hate it when I talk to myself!!!!
    July 08, 2016, 12:54:09 PM
  • Valor7: I could have worded that better, we talked details, options, the pros and cons of each, in  order to arrive at the best ballot language to present to the voters. Hope that makes this clearer.
    April 15, 2016, 06:36:14 PM
  • Valor7: sorry about the typos still working with just one arm in action
    April 13, 2016, 01:10:42 PM
  • Valor7: Yes and no. We talked details and options until we were blue in the face but I never heardbring it over, it was always the time was not right for the issue to pass. Glad to see the time in now right and I for one shall vote yes on the ballot. I would urge all others to do the sameour county is busting at the seams crimewise and no matter how many bad guys we send off there always seems to someone to replace them. The Sheriff's Office needs the help.
    April 13, 2016, 01:08:35 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Is that true Valor? Did he ask you what you wanted?
    March 01, 2016, 04:55:37 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Gene Newkirk Rick I have waited for a Sheriff to bring it to me on what he wanted. I have pushed Mr long for a while to get it to me. He told me he was close to having or done. Now hopefully the people will get to decide on it. I spoke with Steve about this a few times.
    March 01, 2016, 04:54:54 AM
  • Kimberly: Wow- I have a new name..........
    February 23, 2016, 10:25:15 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Works on mine, improvements are being done here. I may kick back into her a lot and post but working on different technologies right now. Seeing how things interact.
    January 18, 2016, 09:01:20 AM
  • Valor7: Yes it is working. If you need a laugh the wife showed me how to correctly use the silly thing.
    January 04, 2016, 05:32:59 PM
  • Valor7: Think so, mine is trying to work but it is now user and password protected and I dont know mine
    December 17, 2015, 01:32:16 PM
  • "DJ": Is there still a working android app for the PCSD
    December 14, 2015, 08:14:53 PM

Author Topic: Waynesville Nuisance Abatement Board  (Read 40031 times)

Offline Coyote

• View Profile
Re: Waynesville Nuisance Abatement Board
« Reply #60 on: April 05, 2007, 06:40:17 PM »

Share/Bookmark

Fort Wood Hotel

Boards

Devils Elbow

Attractions

Sports

St. Robert

Waynesville

PC Daily

Dixon

Menu Guide

Fun Links

Homework

Crocker

Fort Wood

Swedeborg

Big Piney

Laquey

Classifieds

Restaurants

Richland

Fort  Hotels

I live "out in the country" and there is one little stretch of road where this whole family lives.  It goes...house, trailor, house, trailor, burned up trailor, falling down shed, house.  It's the biggest mess I've seen in my LIFE.  About 10-15 tore up riding and push mowers and parts laying all over, tires strewn out, old, dirty, fisher price toys, play house laying on it's side, trikes, tilted trampoline etc. trampled down chicken wire fence, weeds growing between the junk, dog tied with a rope to some big metal thing by a junk car so he can get under it in the shade....just horrible.  Sure I'd like not to have to see it when I drive by and if I was the next door neighbor and something like that cropped up...you bet we'd go to town over it.  No one should have to live next to crap like that.  Other people have rights too and not have to wait until vermin is spotted.  People who can live in a mess like that have mental problems.
....and that night as the moon crossed the mountain, one more Coyote was heard...

dawndarwin

« Reply #61 on: April 05, 2007, 10:45:06 PM »
All it takes is for a neighbor to get fed up and go to the city and sign a abatement form and then you have them come and walk in your back yard and let them look for their selves I would be more than happy to let them come and look in my backyard on both sides of me and all it boils down to is just plain ole LAZY people not mowing or picking up there trash, and your right if you don't want to live in the city move to the country where your the only one who has to look at  like you want to live either clean or in a PIG pin.
I would like to start by saying what I was refering to is some friends of mine not me. I think we need to remember their are some people who don't make very much money so to pay for an over priced house in waynesville they have to work long hours or have two jobs. People that have these issues don't have enough time to spend with their familys much less enough time to make sure they are out every night cleaning their yard. Maybe we should remember that some people are less fortunate that others before we start calling someone a pig for not cleaning their yard. Should they not be able to live in waynesville because they don't fall in a certain income bracket. Lets just make all those people live in the country. Maybe we should all count are blessing and not be so judgemental of our neighbors. I don't hardly think that it makes you a better person to have a clean yard or a bad person to have a "pig pin" for a yard. I don't think you can judge a person by their yard.

Offline kbohon

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 06, 2007, 03:52:51 AM »
I would like to start by saying what I was refering to is some friends of mine not me. I think we need to remember their are some people who don't make very much money so to pay for an over priced house in waynesville they have to work long hours or have two jobs. People that have these issues don't have enough time to spend with their familys much less enough time to make sure they are out every night cleaning their yard. Maybe we should remember that some people are less fortunate that others before we start calling someone a pig for not cleaning their yard. Should they not be able to live in waynesville because they don't fall in a certain income bracket. Lets just make all those people live in the country. Maybe we should all count are blessing and not be so judgemental of our neighbors. I don't hardly think that it makes you a better person to have a clean yard or a bad person to have a "pig pin" for a yard. I don't think you can judge a person by their yard.

I'm not into the name-calling, but if they don't have time to clean it, at least to a minimum standard, then how do they have time to make such HUGE messes?

I'm not a stickler about stuff, and I work long hours. I'm fortunate to be able to pay someone to take care of my yard since I don't have time. But if I didn't have the money, I'd sure be looking to barter with friends - something I have or can do for them in exchange for helping me out, too.
Heck is where people go when they don't believe in Gosh.

dawndarwin

« Reply #63 on: April 06, 2007, 12:35:31 PM »
I am sure the ice storm helped to make the mess and wind also helps alot. I am just saying a messy yard does not equal laziness. That is like someone saying if you have a perfect yard you have something to hide. If your main priorty in life is having a perfectly manicured yard and wanting every one else to be like that move to a gated community. In a regular community we have all diffrent kinds of people with diffrent ideas. That is democracy and that is wonderful. I don't want to live somewhere that everyone is a carbon copy and have carbon copy houses. The last I check we all lived in United States of America and we all are entitled to have our own opinon and live the way we want to live. If you don't like your neighbors back yard put a privacy fence then you don't have to see it don't look out the window every day to see what has been added to the mess. People have faults and short commings and if we were all alot more tolerant it sure would be a happier place to live.

Offline Princess_KA

• Always look eye...
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 06, 2007, 01:38:40 PM »
Dawn - I agree with what your saying, and I think to some extent everyone here does.  From what Luge and Biker described, the abatement board's purpose is supposed to be health and welfare of the community - so if someone's FRONT yard which is open for everyone to see is not only messy, but messy to the extent of posing a danger to the health and welfare of the community, then the abatement board will act according to the ordinance. 

The article in the Daily Guide has left a bad taste in our mouths as to the way that the abatement board is choosing to handle complaints.  I don't know if the whole 'scare tactic' article was the idea of the abatement board or the Daily Guide, but it backfired.  Yes, the community is now aware of the existence of the board, and although it's function was meant to serve a good purpose, we all feel extremely negative about it.

Offline Coyote

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 06, 2007, 02:24:52 PM »
I say...yes you CAN judge a person by their yard. 

....and that night as the moon crossed the mountain, one more Coyote was heard...

zarkee

« Reply #67 on: April 06, 2007, 11:07:20 PM »
I'll try and break this down based on what I was shown on paper (ordinance) and what was explained to me by my Aldermen:

1.  The city building inspector enforces/administers the ordinance, and
2.  The city building inspector inspects the city for violations, and
3.  The city building inspector determines what is in violation (interprets/misinterprets), and
4.  The city building inspector issues the ABATEMENT NOTICE to the property owner, and
5.  The city building inspector prepares the packages for the WNAB when appeals are filed, and
6.  The property owner willingly REQUESTS the hearing before the WNAB, and
7.  The WNAB reviews the packets submitted by the building inspector and hears the owners side, and
8.  The WNAB determines if the violation is valid or invalid based on the facts, and
9.  If there is an error the fault is on the BUILDING INSPECTOR, not the WNAB.

Bottom line is, if the inspector is not following the ordinance, misinterpreting the ordinance, picking and choosing who gets cited and who does not, then the inspector is not doing his job properly and the Mayor and Council are accountable for the problem he creates. The WNAB is NOT the problem, the root problem is the inspector. I know because my cousin was cited by the inspector who misinterpreted the ordinance. I still say it is a good ordinance and needs to be enforced, but the problem with the process is becoming more apparent to be the building inspector not knowing his job. Has he gone after the vending machines or the business's in and around town, or are unlicensed vehicles an easier target. What say you Irish, Luge, Mayor?

Offline Irish

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 07, 2007, 01:41:45 AM »
The short answer is yes, there have been a lot of other violators.  Most, not all, have cleaned up their act.  Some have sought legal counsel, some have been in front of the abatement board and have been their varying amounts of time to comply.  It is a long list, you can't undo years of neglect overnight.  The system is not perfect, but we are working on it.  PS:  Don't believe everything you read in the Guide.  Actually it is becoming more and more like a paper that was published in Europe, the Overseas Weekly, known for garish headlines, and not a lot of substance. IMHO

Offline Trix

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 08, 2007, 01:25:34 AM »
Seems someone thinks I called them a PIG that's wrong it was called they live in a PIG PIN and these folks have 3 weedeaters and a lawnmower so what's the ptoblem now. 

Offline love2bowl

• Lurker
  • If money talks, my wallet is whispering
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 08, 2007, 06:27:55 AM »
I have posted my opinion on this in other threads and I have just been reading this thread waiting to see other peoples opinions on this topic.  I don't care who is doing the inspections or doing the meetings what I do care about is there are people who are infringing on other peoples rights and freedom.  I believe grass should be cut and weeds cut down and garbage cleaned up.  What I don't agree with is the Abatement board saying that because someone has a car in their driveway they are working on is a nuisance.  Even the police department said as long as it was in the driveway that it was fine, just could NOT be parked on the road.  There are really truely some people who believe their children should learn to work and earn the right to have a car to drive rather than Mommy and Daddy going out to buy them their new car.  That is their right.  That car was in their driveway in a fenced yard up on jack stands.  Sorry if someone found that unsightly but who is he or anyone else to judge.  Was there weeds NO neither was there grass because this family seems to be the lucky chosen family that everyone in the neighborhood sends their kids to play so they can have their pretty green grass.  These people do more volunteer work with children than most of us could not beat.  I guess they must not be too bad if everyone in the neighborhood allows their children there constantly and even when they haven't been invited.  Do they go home when it is time to eat NO she ends up feeding all of them.  Do their parents know this?  Since their children haven't been home all day to eat I would imagine they have a fair idea they have eaten.  So if limbs in their backyard or cars in their driveway makes them PIGS or SLOBS or LAZY then I only hope someday I can be as kind and considerate as I know these people are.  We would all be better off if a few people worried more what their kids in their new cars were doing and a whole lot less what their neighbors are or are not doing.  One mans trash is another mans treasure and as long as it is not garbage, long grass or weeds people please mind your own business and allow people to live their lives.  What a wonderful world that would be!!!!

Offline tpgunbiz

• B.M.F.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 27, 2007, 01:59:14 AM »
See I believe strongly that if I buy a piece of property with my money then its mine to do with what I want. Now My yard stays pretty nice. I mow it and clean it pretty regular because Its what I like to do with it. I could give a rats ass on what my neighbor thinks of it or what he does with his property. One of my neighbors has junk all over their yard and there house is made up of a mobile home that has been crudely added on to over time. I dont care...Its not my property. If any government city or bigger thought they had a say in what I do with my property then they can pay my mortgage.
Biscuit

Offline Trix

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 27, 2007, 02:18:44 AM »
You must not live in the city because there's not a lot of trailers inthe city thank goodness

Offline Geezer Glide Taz

• Land Of The Free, Because Of The Brave
  • Riding Vertical Shiny Side Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 27, 2007, 02:25:53 AM »
I certainly hope that you never have hard times fall upon you that you are forced for economic reasons to have to live in a mobile home, so that others ,like yourself right now, that think they are better than those that live in one, don't look down on you the way you apparently look at them now.

Freedom Of Road Riders,
Protecting and informing riders in Missouri
www.midamericafreedomrally.com

Please watch out for Motorcycles on the road
The life you save might be mine

dawndarwin

« Reply #74 on: April 27, 2007, 02:43:08 AM »
very well said taz.

Offline Coyote

• View Profile
« Reply #75 on: April 27, 2007, 06:26:49 PM »
That isn't true at all!  I've seen many many mobile homes and the majority are nice and tidy..most of them are.  But when people don't skirt them, don't mow the yard around them, don't even try to made them look decent with a little deck instead of wobbly metal stairs, leave crap laying all over the yard, that's where mobile homes get a bad rep.  Not from the good neighbors who care about how their home reflects on them.

I certainly hope that you never have hard times fall upon you that you are forced for economic reasons to have to live in a mobile home, so that others ,like yourself right now, that think they are better than those that live in one, don't look down on you the way you apparently look at them now.

Offline Trix

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 29, 2007, 02:32:54 AM »
No Taz thats not what I mean and yes I have lived ina trailer years ago it's just the City doesn't have but 1 Trailer Court which is Mrs Tagges and she doesn't allow trsh laying around or tall grass I know of no other trailers in the city!!

Offline Princess_KA

• Always look eye...
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 29, 2007, 08:44:49 PM »
I live in a mobile home.  My family keeps it tidy inside and out.  It doesn't matter.  There is stigma.  My son is teased at school because we live in a mobile home.  It makes me sad.  We have a pretty good life, two steady incomes, a couple of decent vehicles and do fun stuff from time to time.  We simply can't afford the rent or mortgage in this area to live in a newer, bigger home.  It's enough for us for now.  We plan on paying the mobile home off, buying land - paying that off and building our own home, but that takes time.  Until then, we are happy to have a roof over our heads.  But my son has more than once been taunted by other kids at school and treated as less of a person because we live in a mobile home.  Why is this????

Offline littlebit

• Cunning Linguist
  • Home is what you make it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 29, 2007, 09:23:59 PM »
I live in a mobile home.  My family keeps it tidy inside and out.  It doesn't matter.  There is stigma.  My son is teased at school because we live in a mobile home.  It makes me sad.  We have a pretty good life, two steady incomes, a couple of decent vehicles and do fun stuff from time to time.  We simply can't afford the rent or mortgage in this area to live in a newer, bigger home.  It's enough for us for now.  We plan on paying the mobile home off, buying land - paying that off and building our own home, but that takes time.  Until then, we are happy to have a roof over our heads.  But my son has more than once been taunted by other kids at school and treated as less of a person because we live in a mobile home.  Why is this????

The stigma you speak of is the trailer trash syndrome.

When we lived in a mobile home years ago, my coworkers would make snyde comments.
Some people are like Slinkies... Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

I'd give my left arm to be ambidextrous...

“The truth is, everyone is going to end up hurting you. You just have to find the ones who are worth suffering for.”

Offline Princess_KA

• Always look eye...
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 30, 2007, 02:13:53 AM »
It's just awful.  Anyway, that was completely off the subject and I apologize for posting it here.  I just kind of was hurt by the "thank goodness there's not a lot of trailers within city limits" comment.  Not everyone who lives in a trailer is trash, and not everyone who lives in a house is above us. 

Offline Trix

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 30, 2007, 02:28:07 AM »
There's nothing wrong with a trailer what's wrong in my book is not cleaning up your yard and having couchs and crap laying around outside and just mow your yard and try to keep it neat but people can't do that so now they have a abatement board to try to clean it up so the city looks nice

Offline littlebit

• Cunning Linguist
  • Home is what you make it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 30, 2007, 03:47:04 AM »
It's just awful.  Anyway, that was completely off the subject and I apologize for posting it here.  I just kind of was hurt by the "thank goodness there's not a lot of trailers within city limits" comment.  Not everyone who lives in a trailer is trash, and not everyone who lives in a house is above us. 

I have seen houses with 2 washing machines, 3 dryers, Rusted bicycles, non running mowers,
cars that have not moved in years, and miscellaneous junk in their yard.

You do not have to live in a trailer to be trash, and just because you do does not automatically make you so.

Narrow minded people just do not know better.
Some people are like Slinkies... Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

I'd give my left arm to be ambidextrous...

“The truth is, everyone is going to end up hurting you. You just have to find the ones who are worth suffering for.”

Offline Trix

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 30, 2007, 12:44:42 PM »
Amen on what you said...

Racer

« Reply #83 on: May 01, 2007, 04:27:02 AM »
I love to travel and the North East is beautiful.  Old building and old towns full of life.  Very little junk in yards even though homes are old and no evidence of a lot of money.  I think a generation left their pride when they crossed the Mississippi River.  Clean up your yard and have some pride.

Offline Coyote

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 01, 2007, 12:50:20 PM »
That's right.  So instead of being ashamed about how they have let their yard become such an embarrassment to the community and have to be told to clean it up, some get up on their high horse and yack that it's a free country and they can live how they want to live.  I don't get it.

There's nothing wrong with a trailer what's wrong in my book is not cleaning up your yard and having couchs and crap laying around outside and just mow your yard and try to keep it neat but people can't do that so now they have a abatement board to try to clean it up so the city looks nice

Offline Just_a_Biker

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 02, 2007, 07:08:13 PM »
Ok, here's another question on the topic...  How long should one be allowed to accumulate "stuff" on their property before it becomes a nuisance?  I started remodeling 2 of my bathrooms on Monday and have a lot of debris in front of my house right now.  The building inspector came by today and said I have to have it cleaned up by tomorrow...  Does this seem a little extreme to anyone else, or am I just "on my high horse" again???
The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. Cicero - 55 BC, Rome

Offline Coyote

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 02, 2007, 07:52:17 PM »
Ok, now I agree that's wrong.  You obviously have a project going on.  Someone is taking their position a tad bit too far.

Offline Geezer Glide Taz

• Land Of The Free, Because Of The Brave
  • Riding Vertical Shiny Side Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 03, 2007, 01:07:46 PM »
The Yard police strike again. Were they wearing high black boots and walking with a goose step?I think this is utter BS. Looks to me they have a vendetta out against you.
Are you trying to tell me every build project in Waynesville is kept clean with no building material laying around? And my guess is, one of your neighbors is calling them.
Freedom Of Road Riders,
Protecting and informing riders in Missouri
www.midamericafreedomrally.com

Please watch out for Motorcycles on the road
The life you save might be mine

Offline Lepard LLC

• Activist
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 03, 2007, 02:11:50 PM »
I own a mobile home next door to me and I think it is much nicer than most small homes. It is nicer than my rental homes. I have gutted it and made it look like a home inside. No one should be ashamed of living in it. I could easily live in it.

Offline Just_a_Biker

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 03, 2007, 04:01:11 PM »
The Yard police strike again. Were they wearing high black boots and walking with a goose step?I think this is utter BS. Looks to me they have a vendetta out against you.
Are you trying to tell me every build project in Waynesville is kept clean with no building material laying around? And my guess is, one of your neighbors is calling them.

I went down to City Hall yesterday afternoon (had to take time off work!) to find out what exactly is going on.  The building inspector that I spoke with said the debris wasn't the primary issue, but rather that I hadn't pulled a permit to remodel.  After "discussing" the issue for some time he backed down (hesitantly I might add) because all I am doing is cosmetic repairs & replacement.

I asked him how they found out about it, if a neighbor had called & complained or what.  As I said earlier in this topic I have a VERY GOOD relationship with my neighbors, so this was a big concern for me.  I found out that the building inspector, who also acts as the primary "reporter" to the WNAB, lives up the street from me...  SO, that explains why there are at least 3 people from my street that have issues with the WNAB; our yards are not the cookie cutter neighborhood that he apparently wants...
The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. Cicero - 55 BC, Rome