Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • littlebit: Makes sense.
    July 16, 2017, 04:40:28 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Boards will stay open for a place people can find history information longer. I am not allowing anyone to sign up for now because of so many foreginers just wanting to promote their business..
    December 10, 2016, 05:10:27 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Not sure why didn't look, I may be shutting down these message boards..
    November 17, 2016, 12:42:43 AM
  • ~kathy~: rick why is the timestamp showing up a day in advance?
    September 13, 2016, 12:27:46 AM
  • Valor7: What I tried to say is that the actual money would not be there that quick. But a loan against that would work if they are willing to do that.
    August 08, 2016, 01:51:51 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Why so long before it comes online? 911 took out a loan or bond with the known guarantee payment and began building..
    August 08, 2016, 07:46:34 AM
  • Valor7: Actually no it is not, a dependable Revenue stream will not come on line until the 4th quarter of 2017 so 2018 budget will be up in the air, not quite sure what they will have. By 2019 budget all will be well.
    August 04, 2016, 09:27:17 PM
  • Valor7: You mean that tax that the Commissioners would not put on the ballot for so many years? Strange things happened when the citizens got a chance to vote on that issue.
    August 03, 2016, 06:43:06 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Back up is now available withe the new tax..
    August 03, 2016, 05:01:35 PM
  • Valor7: Thanks a lot Ladies!!
    July 29, 2016, 01:16:13 PM
  • littlebit: ((*(*&
    July 27, 2016, 03:47:52 PM
  • ~kathy~: lol
    July 15, 2016, 09:34:56 AM
  • Valor7: A guy could get killed around here while waiting for backup!
    July 13, 2016, 07:31:58 PM
  • Lepard LLC: You are not alone..
    July 13, 2016, 07:28:53 PM
  • Valor7: I just hate it when I talk to myself!!!!
    July 08, 2016, 12:54:09 PM
  • Valor7: I could have worded that better, we talked details, options, the pros and cons of each, in  order to arrive at the best ballot language to present to the voters. Hope that makes this clearer.
    April 15, 2016, 06:36:14 PM
  • Valor7: sorry about the typos still working with just one arm in action
    April 13, 2016, 01:10:42 PM
  • Valor7: Yes and no. We talked details and options until we were blue in the face but I never heardbring it over, it was always the time was not right for the issue to pass. Glad to see the time in now right and I for one shall vote yes on the ballot. I would urge all others to do the sameour county is busting at the seams crimewise and no matter how many bad guys we send off there always seems to someone to replace them. The Sheriff's Office needs the help.
    April 13, 2016, 01:08:35 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Is that true Valor? Did he ask you what you wanted?
    March 01, 2016, 04:55:37 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Gene Newkirk Rick I have waited for a Sheriff to bring it to me on what he wanted. I have pushed Mr long for a while to get it to me. He told me he was close to having or done. Now hopefully the people will get to decide on it. I spoke with Steve about this a few times.
    March 01, 2016, 04:54:54 AM
  • Kimberly: Wow- I have a new name..........
    February 23, 2016, 10:25:15 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Works on mine, improvements are being done here. I may kick back into her a lot and post but working on different technologies right now. Seeing how things interact.
    January 18, 2016, 09:01:20 AM
  • Valor7: Yes it is working. If you need a laugh the wife showed me how to correctly use the silly thing.
    January 04, 2016, 05:32:59 PM
  • Valor7: Think so, mine is trying to work but it is now user and password protected and I dont know mine
    December 17, 2015, 01:32:16 PM
  • "DJ": Is there still a working android app for the PCSD
    December 14, 2015, 08:14:53 PM

Author Topic: Rep. Day Concerned About Changes in Conservation Permits  (Read 4095 times)

Offline David Day

• View Profile
Rep. Day Concerned About Changes in Conservation Permits
« on: November 12, 2008, 06:19:28 PM »

Share/Bookmark

Fort Wood Hotel

Boards

Devils Elbow

Attractions

Sports

St. Robert

Waynesville

PC Daily

Dixon

Menu Guide

Fun Links

Homework

Crocker

Fort Wood

Swedeborg

Big Piney

Laquey

Classifieds

Restaurants

Richland

Fort  Hotels

Rep. Day Concerned About Changes in Conservation Permits
Jefferson City - The Missouri Conservation Commission met on September 26th to discuss regulations and rate changes that will ultimately affect all Missourians in regards to hunting, fishing, trapping permits and changes on landowner tags.  Changes announced by the Missouri Conservation Commission will result in increased permit fees on hunting, fishing and trapping and eliminate many landowner permits if not rescinded or altered; it would go into effect on July 1, 2009. 
“I am deeply concerned just as many Missourians are about these changes.  The landowners are the ones that feed the wildlife in our state, and now for such drastic changes to be made is a mistake in my opinion, I am also opposed to an increase in permit rates for residents that hunt and fish in our state” said State Representative David Day (R-Dixon).
According to the state constitution, the Missouri Conservation Commission is made up of four commissioners, appointed by the Governor, with no more than two of whom shall be of the same political party.  The Conservation Commission has several responsibilities which include serving as the Department’s policy makers, approving Wildlife Code Regulations, and work on strategic and budget issues
“While some of the changes are positive, I am deeply concerned and opposed to several issues including the proposed rate increases and the change that would require more Missourians who hunt on their own land to buy a permit” said Day.  “Missouri is a state populated by thousands of hunters and fishermen and we should not implement changes that make participating in these activities a burden.  I hope every Missourian who cares about this issue will join with me and take the time to make their voices heard and let the Missouri Conservation Commission know they should take a second look and rescind these changes before they are implemented” Day concluded.
The Missouri Conservation Commission approved the changes during the September 26th meeting but they will not go into effect until 2009.  Approved changes include two to three dollar increases for the majority of hunting and fishing permits; increasing the acreage from 5 to 80 contiguous acres necessary to receive no-cost deer and turkey permits; and creation of a Senior Forever permit for citizens 60 years of age or older.   
           The 30-day window for public comment will begin November 17, when the changes are published in the Missouri Register.  After the 30-day public comment period, all comments will be compiled and sent to the Conservation Commission for their information and consideration.  At such time, the Conservation Commission may decide to rescind, alter or continue with changes as previously approved.  Concerned Missourians may enter comments by writing to the following address: Missouri Department of Conservation, Director John Hoskins, P.O. Box 180, Jefferson City, MO 65102.  You may also go to http://mdc.mo.gov/regs/permitfaq.htm where there is a link for providing public comment online and also a complete list of the proposed changes.
           “Our Conservation Department does a great job of managing Missouri’s wildlife.  They are also one of the best funded Conservation Departments in the nation because of the 1/8th cent sales tax they receive.  When you consider the state of our economy, I feel it is the wrong to ask Missourians to pay more to hunt and fish in our state, especially the ones that own the land where the wildlife lives” concluded Rep. Day.

---------- END ----------
Political Website:  www.StateRepDay.com
Back Roads Recording:  www.backroadsrecording.com
Band Website:  www.MFNband.net
Twitter:  http://twitter.com/RepDay

Offline julymorning

• View Profile
Re: Rep. Day Concerned About Changes in Conservation Permits
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2008, 10:03:15 PM »
I can hardly believe a landowner would have to  have a permit to fish in his own pond or lake.  I must be reading this wrong, or the article isn't worded correctly.   "While some of the changes are .....more Missourians who hunt or FISH on their own land to buy a permit."
It's not like the fish wandered in from somewhere else.
Hey, it's just me, Suzi

Offline David Day

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2008, 10:08:31 PM »
I am not sure I totally understand your comments but....

currently if you own 5 acres or more, you can apply for a landowners permit and hunt/fish on your own land free.  Under the new proposed regulations, that amount of land goes from 5 acres to 80 acres.  Meaning, if you own 50 acres you must purchase a hunting permit to hung deer or turkey on your own land.  That is one of the parts I am opposed to.

Dave

Offline David Day

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2008, 10:17:03 PM »
I can hardly believe a landowner would have to  have a permit to fish in his own pond or lake.  I must be reading this wrong, or the article isn't worded correctly.   "While some of the changes are .....more Missourians who hunt or FISH on their own land to buy a permit."

Maybe I have it now....

Technically, yes if you fish on your own land you must have a fishing permit unless you fall under certain age limits or landowner requirements, just as you fall under some boating laws.  However, these laws are not enforced nearly as much as hunting laws.  There are also different restrictions considering who paid for the pond to be built.

Dave

Offline I have no username

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2008, 10:22:38 PM »
Who stocked the pond...

I dont mind if permit fees go up a buck or two as long as all the fees go back into conservation and wildlife mngmt.  Landowner permits ...things shouldnt change, but 5 acres is not much land to hunt a transient animal.  If you want to be confine to 5 acres and hunt...thats up to you.  As a prospective landowner myself, I'm not opposed to paying for a deer/turkey permit.   Just my 2c  I do appreciate you fighting for sport, but wont be upset myself if probs arise.
Μολὼν λαβέ

If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom.
Dwight D. Eisenhower

Offline David Day

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2008, 10:41:51 PM »

While there are many cases where you must have a fishing permit to fish on your own land, I have sent out corrected press releases and changed the posted articles on all sites that I am aware they are on, to reflect your concerns.

The offices in Jeff City are closed and I want to err on the side of caution, so those words have been deleated.

Thanks for the comment.

Dave

Offline julymorning

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2008, 11:09:18 PM »
My pond isn't suitable to stock with fish.  I purchase a fishing
licsense every year, and really don't mind the slight increase.
It's pretty cheap recreation, even if you don't catch much.
Just about every farmer has a pond, many of them are stocked with fish. 
I think I remember a time when/if a pond was put in according to Conservation specification, the Conservation Dept. would stock it initially for you.  I don't know if that program still exists, in that caseI suppose a landowner permit would be appropriate.
If one of my neighbors only owns 5 acres, with the rest of us out here owning livestock, he better be a darn good shot if he's hunting deer, permit or no.
Hey, it's just me, Suzi

Offline David Day

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2008, 11:53:00 PM »
I understand your points but, the bottom line of my concern is:

We have, because of the 1/8th cent sales tax, one of the best funded Conservation Departments in the nation.  I don't feel, especially in our economy, that they need an increase in fees.

If a landowner owns 5, 15, 25 or whatever acres, they deserve the right to hunt on that land free.  They are the ones feeding the wildlife and in almost all cases, allowing others to hunt on their land.  That one thing alone impacts about 75,000 Missourians.

I just don't see the need to increase fees or make landowners start buying permits when they are providing the shelter and food for the wildlife and paying taxes on it.

JMO,
Dave

Offline julymorning

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2008, 12:47:35 AM »
I would like to see a recent audit of where it is all spent.
If anglers paying an extra couple of bucks a year can maintain Conservation Accesses to our lakes and rivers better, I'm all for it.
The recent floods destroyed and damaged not only access roads, parking areas, boat ramps, but also fire  pits, and damaged restrooms.

The fishing access in Jefferson City just across the Bridge north of town is/was beautiful.  It had multiple flower gardens and benches in the shade.  Very park-like.
It was pretty much all taken out by flood waters a couple of months ago, not to mention tons of sand bank got washed away.  It's being fixed up again.
I'd like to see some of the other accesses maintained better, with more bank area kept trimmed back.  Some of the 'restroom' facilities have no doors.  Not even the one in J. C.
 I don't mind paying a little more, but I think the land/pond owners should be exempt, no matter how little acreage they have unless the conservation dept. is subsidizing them.
Hey, it's just me, Suzi

Offline 48fan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2008, 12:50:00 AM »
Dave,
          You are 100% correct and I for one stand behind you. I also don't mind paying a little more as long as it is used for conservation however a landowner should have special rights as you have outlined. (I don't own 5 + acres however I support the cause.)

I understand your points but, the bottom line of my concern is:

We have, because of the 1/8th cent sales tax, one of the best funded Conservation Departments in the nation.  I don't feel, especially in our economy, that they need an increase in fees.

If a landowner owns 5, 15, 25 or whatever acres, they deserve the right to hunt on that land free.  They are the ones feeding the wildlife and in almost all cases, allowing others to hunt on their land.  That one thing alone impacts about 75,000 Missourians.

I just don't see the need to increase fees or make landowners start buying permits when they are providing the shelter and food for the wildlife and paying taxes on it.

JMO,
Dave

Offline matrsnot

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2008, 01:02:33 AM »
I passed this on to another forum as they are all gunners and hunters and fishermen/women too.  Just trying to gains some support there.  Thanks Dave.

Offline David Day

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2008, 01:13:09 AM »
I would like to see a recent audit of where it is all spent.
If anglers paying an extra couple of bucks a year can maintain Conservation Accesses to our lakes and rivers better, I'm all for it.
The recent floods destroyed and damaged not only access roads, parking areas, boat ramps, but also fire  pits, and damaged restrooms.

While I don't have an audit in my back pocket, I can tell you that in MO, 1/8th of a cent sales tax statewide will bring in (depending on people's spending and the economy) between 65 and 80 million dollars per year.  That is what the Conservation Department brings in from that tax alone, that does not count what the General Assembly approprates to them, what they have donated to them in land contributions/sales, and fees from hunting/fishing permits.  That adds up to many more millions each year.

Yes, you are very correct in saying that they have had a fairly bad year because of floods, etc...  However, for many years before that they have had very good years with little expense.  Their funds have been building up very well according to what the Chairman of the Natural Resources and Conservation Committee has told me, but again I do not have a dollar amount, sorry.

I think most can agree that if the economy were in the tank for 10 years, 65 million each year, with all of the other sources of revenue they receive, would easily take care of boat ramps, bathrooms and all of their other expenses easily.  They are about the only department that has never asked me for money in Jeff City.  As I said earlier, they truly are one of the BEST funded Conservation Departments in the NATION.  Almost all other Conservation Departments in the naton envy them.

Just wanted to share that with you.  It isn't an audit, but it is the infomation I have.

Dave

Offline julymorning

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2008, 01:21:36 AM »
Thanks..I used to see an expenditure summary in the magazine, but the mag hasn't been in the mail for awhile now, I need to run up to rolla and get it started again.
I'd google the answers I'm looking for if my computer would behave long enough.
Hey, it's just me, Suzi

Offline David Day

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2008, 01:22:56 AM »
Thanks..I used to see an expenditure summary in the magazine, but the mag hasn't been in the mail for awhile now, I need to run up to rolla and get it started again.
I'd google the answers I'm looking for if my computer would behave long enough.

I understand the computer issue...more lately than ever...lol.

Dave

Offline fish

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2008, 02:14:32 AM »
dept of coservation will definitly lose on this one. I talked about this to a gentleman while I was getting my (free)permits. in the past he gave the dept access to his land and he planted food plots, yet didn't always hunt. he said that will stop. conservation will no longer be allowed access and the plots will stop. he said he owns 80 acres but doesn't like the policy change. especially when hunting/fish comb. permits are going from $19-$22.
there is no longer a check in station reqirement so I imagine a lot of landowners will still hunt, they just won't buy permits. the phone in deal isn't a big deal either. it may be illegal but the dept of conservation is at fault. they will also lose a lot of good will,that is the loss that will affect them the most.

Offline David Day

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2008, 02:40:34 AM »
Fish, what you heard is what I am heariing also.  Many landowners (and I have received MANY calls/e-mails on this) have said that they will stop putting out food plots (free to them from MDC but costs money to put out), stop much of the wildlife managment programs and stop letting others hunt.  Many have said that when they are asked why people can't hunt on them, they will tell them to call MDC and they can explain it.

You are right, MDC will loose big on this one.  I do want to be very clear on something though, this is not necessarly the "Department" doing this, it is the four member Commission that makes these decisions, the rank and file department person that is working in the field is just following orders, so don't take it out on them.  This is a decision that is being made at a much higher level than them, even the Director has to follow the orders of the Commission.

Not a good move for the Commission to make and sadly the employees are the ones that will catch the headache.

Dave

Offline David Day

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2008, 09:30:26 PM »
To make it easier then surfing around MDC's site, on my home page at www.StateRepDay.com I have links to the actual changes and a link where you can leave public comments about the changes.

Dave

Offline ~kathy~

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2008, 04:20:58 AM »
dave i have heard some arguments about this new change and no one seems to know for a fact, please tell me if you own 40 acres do you have to purchase a hunting tag? some have been saying yes and others say no. this way i can 100% settle their argument.
Go ahead and blame me....Everyone else does

Offline David Day

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2008, 12:05:39 PM »
dave i have heard some arguments about this new change and no one seems to know for a fact, please tell me if you own 40 acres do you have to purchase a hunting tag? some have been saying yes and others say no. this way i can 100% settle their argument.

This year you do not, the link on my site will tell you the changes, but they don't take effect until 2009.

The change concerning the landowner is, currently if you own 5 acres, you can apply for a landowners permit to hunt on your own land free.  That ownership amount under these changes for hunting deer and turkey will jump to 80 contiguous acres. 

So, if these changes are kept in place, on July 1, 2009...if you own 40 acres you will be required to buy your hunting permits for deer and turkey on your own land.

The changes along with MDC's view of why they are needed can be found at my site on the homepage.  www.staterepday.com.

Dave

Offline David Day

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2008, 02:56:44 PM »
I lowballed the sales tax number by a fairly large amount. These numbers for receipts are taken from the Conservation Department's Fiscal Year 2007 report to the legislature. Remember, these are THEIR numbers.

Receipts:

Conservation 1/8th cent sales tax: $103,332,575.
Permit Sales: $30,953,155.
Federal Reimbursements: $23,210,639.
Sales & Rental: $8,947,515.
Other Sources: $3,965,239.
Interest Received: $1,267,398.

TOTAL RECEIPTS FOR FY 2007: $177,676,521.

Dave

Offline julymorning

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2008, 06:23:40 PM »
wow, that's alot of money.  I'm going to hunt up an expenditure sheet for last year, when I come home tomorrow.  Should be interesting, just to see what all they do with it.
Thanks Dave.
Hey, it's just me, Suzi

Offline David Day

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2008, 07:51:43 PM »
For that same year, again these are their numbers, the money was spent as follows:

County Assistance Programs - $1,396,404.
Capital Improvements - $22,855,287.
Fisheries - $11,908,332.
Forestry - $15,410,871.
Wildlife - $16,074,091.
Outreach & Education - $15,383,196.
Private Land Services - $8,775,673.
Protection - $14,181,263.
Resource Science - $12,075,236.
Regional Public Contact Offices - $3,296,676.
Adminstrative Services & Human Resources - $28,646,718.
Design & Development - $12,188,760.
Adminstration - $2,550,447.

Total Expenses:  $164,715,954.  These numbers are from the 2006-2007 MDC Annual Report, same report and actually the same page as the receipts I posted above.

Dave