Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • littlebit: Makes sense.
    July 16, 2017, 04:40:28 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Boards will stay open for a place people can find history information longer. I am not allowing anyone to sign up for now because of so many foreginers just wanting to promote their business..
    December 10, 2016, 05:10:27 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Not sure why didn't look, I may be shutting down these message boards..
    November 17, 2016, 12:42:43 AM
  • ~kathy~: rick why is the timestamp showing up a day in advance?
    September 13, 2016, 12:27:46 AM
  • Valor7: What I tried to say is that the actual money would not be there that quick. But a loan against that would work if they are willing to do that.
    August 08, 2016, 01:51:51 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Why so long before it comes online? 911 took out a loan or bond with the known guarantee payment and began building..
    August 08, 2016, 07:46:34 AM
  • Valor7: Actually no it is not, a dependable Revenue stream will not come on line until the 4th quarter of 2017 so 2018 budget will be up in the air, not quite sure what they will have. By 2019 budget all will be well.
    August 04, 2016, 09:27:17 PM
  • Valor7: You mean that tax that the Commissioners would not put on the ballot for so many years? Strange things happened when the citizens got a chance to vote on that issue.
    August 03, 2016, 06:43:06 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Back up is now available withe the new tax..
    August 03, 2016, 05:01:35 PM
  • Valor7: Thanks a lot Ladies!!
    July 29, 2016, 01:16:13 PM
  • littlebit: ((*(*&
    July 27, 2016, 03:47:52 PM
  • ~kathy~: lol
    July 15, 2016, 09:34:56 AM
  • Valor7: A guy could get killed around here while waiting for backup!
    July 13, 2016, 07:31:58 PM
  • Lepard LLC: You are not alone..
    July 13, 2016, 07:28:53 PM
  • Valor7: I just hate it when I talk to myself!!!!
    July 08, 2016, 12:54:09 PM
  • Valor7: I could have worded that better, we talked details, options, the pros and cons of each, in  order to arrive at the best ballot language to present to the voters. Hope that makes this clearer.
    April 15, 2016, 06:36:14 PM
  • Valor7: sorry about the typos still working with just one arm in action
    April 13, 2016, 01:10:42 PM
  • Valor7: Yes and no. We talked details and options until we were blue in the face but I never heardbring it over, it was always the time was not right for the issue to pass. Glad to see the time in now right and I for one shall vote yes on the ballot. I would urge all others to do the sameour county is busting at the seams crimewise and no matter how many bad guys we send off there always seems to someone to replace them. The Sheriff's Office needs the help.
    April 13, 2016, 01:08:35 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Is that true Valor? Did he ask you what you wanted?
    March 01, 2016, 04:55:37 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Gene Newkirk Rick I have waited for a Sheriff to bring it to me on what he wanted. I have pushed Mr long for a while to get it to me. He told me he was close to having or done. Now hopefully the people will get to decide on it. I spoke with Steve about this a few times.
    March 01, 2016, 04:54:54 AM
  • Kimberly: Wow- I have a new name..........
    February 23, 2016, 10:25:15 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Works on mine, improvements are being done here. I may kick back into her a lot and post but working on different technologies right now. Seeing how things interact.
    January 18, 2016, 09:01:20 AM
  • Valor7: Yes it is working. If you need a laugh the wife showed me how to correctly use the silly thing.
    January 04, 2016, 05:32:59 PM
  • Valor7: Think so, mine is trying to work but it is now user and password protected and I dont know mine
    December 17, 2015, 01:32:16 PM
  • "DJ": Is there still a working android app for the PCSD
    December 14, 2015, 08:14:53 PM

Author Topic: Springfield 911 to ask for 1/8th cent sales tax. We have a 1/4 cent here.  (Read 27127 times)

Offline Lepard LLC

• Activist
  • Administrator
    • View Profile

Share/Bookmark

Fort Wood Hotel

Boards

Devils Elbow

Attractions

Sports

St. Robert

Waynesville

PC Daily

Dixon

Menu Guide

Fun Links

Homework

Crocker

Fort Wood

Swedeborg

Big Piney

Laquey

Classifieds

Restaurants

Richland

Fort  Hotels

911 hold times concern emergency call takers
by Cara Restelli, KY3 News
SPRINGFIELD -- Longer hold times for emergency calls -- it's a scary scenario that dispatchers at the Springfield/Greene County 911 Center say they face every day. They hope letting the public know about the problem will convince voters that the proposed 911 tax is desperately needed.
More and more often, says J.R. Webb, assistant director of the 911 Center, emergency call takers find it necessary to put callers on hold.

"We've got 10 lines and four to five call takers to answer those lines. It's not unusual for all to be lit up at once," said Webb.

During two recent hours that a KY3 reporter spent at the 911 center, dispatchers had to put four callers on hold. It happens so often that they've even had to work out a triage system where they get basic information and find out if the caller can wait before they put them on hold. Webb says that system only works after the dispatcher actually picks up the call, which has also become a challenge.

Dispatchers have a goal to answer 90 percent of calls within 10 seconds during peak hours. So far this year, their average, including both peak and off peak hours, is 89 percent.

"As the volume of calls go up, with the number of people we have, we can't reach those goals," said Webb.

In a business where every second counts, Webb worries someone may have to wait too long one day.

"It'll only get worse if we don't get more staff," he said.

Voters will decide Tuesday whether to raise the Greene County sales tax by one-eighth percent to, in part, pay for more operators at the 911 center. The tax would replace the 10-percent surcharge on landlines that currently funds the service.

COWBOY

I believe the 911 sales tax here is actually 1/4 cent but still generates 3 times the revenue of the telephone tax it replaced.  The 1/2 cent sales tax is for the PCAD
 which also generates 3 times the revenue of the property tax it is to replace sometime in the future ( this year they get both the property and sales tax. )  If 911 and PCAD could live with only twice as much as they had with the prior tax method that would free up like $900,000 without any new taxes.   I just wonder if there is any place that could use this money to help protect the citizens of this county.   Think about it?

Offline Valor7

• View Profile
911 here is .5 cent

JB

Offline crazy horse

• View Profile
It is used to protect the citizens Cowboy.

Offline crazy horse

• View Profile
I also do not think your numbers are correct. You are just creating dichotomy. We all work together and do not need that crap. EMS, fire, police and 911 must work together.

COWBOY

911 here is .5 cent

JB

QUESTION
 Shall the County of Pulaski impose a county sales tax of one quarter cent ($.025) for the purpose of providing central dispatching of fire protection emergency ambulance service, including emergency telephone services and other emergency services? Upon passage of this tax, this will repeal the current 15% of your base telephone tariff which is currently being collected.
                               .YES
                               .NO
if you are in favor of the proposition, darken the oval opposite the word "yes"
If your are opposed to the proposition, darken the oval opposite the word "no"

Done by the order of the County Commission, this 27th Day of January 2003. County Clerk/Election Authority.
Diana Linnenbringer

This was the ballot

Offline Eeyore

• "Never leave your partner behind"
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Call me dim, but I am confused -- How did that happen?
    "Hey, hey, hey, hey now.  Don't be mean.  We don't have to be mean. because, remember, no matter where you go, there you are."      - The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai across The Eighth Dimension

Offline crazy horse

• View Profile
I don't know if that is correct. I'll find out here in just a minute and let you know.

Offline crazy horse

• View Profile
1/4 cent, 0.025 sales tax is what 911 gets.   

Offline Valor7

• View Profile
It is official , I am dumb.  I was sure it was .5 cent. My apology to all for mistake.

JB

Offline crazy horse

• View Profile
 Easy to understand...at your age  HA!

Offline Valor7

• View Profile
Yes and there was the post the other day that mentioned my dashing new hair color. Gray is dashing right? At least I have hair. Some 60 year old guys I know do not have any. Can you tell I am stressed out right now?  HUH? 

JB

Offline Law101

• Global Moderator
  • Big Piney Community Activist
    • View Profile
My son is bald on top at 34, so he shaves off what is left around the edges.  Wonder if I caused him to lose his hair, or if it was that greasy kid stuff that made it slide off the top of his head and onto his face.

Offline crazy horse

• View Profile
My beards gray, but I'm going to put some stuff on it...and see if I can fool the gals. Hehehehe

Offline Valor7

• View Profile
What really bugs me is that I did the math many times. The county .5 sales tax brings in $1.763 million and the 911 folks get half of that or about $882,000.00 per year. Pow! half of .5 is .25

Smart big boy Smart!!
                                      JB

Offline ghost_of_notsniw

• View Profile
Is $882,000 the entire budget for the PCSD?

Offline Lepard LLC

• Activist
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Why did I think it was a half cent. I stand corrected. They do make more than that from other departments, right? I thought it was about 1.2 million.

Offline Valor7

• View Profile

No that is the sales tax total that goes to the 911 Center. And no it is not completely accurate, close but not exact.

The PCSD budget for this year is $1,210,000.00 or very close to that. I cannot remember the exact figure right now but the figure cited is very close.

JB

Offline Lepard LLC

• Activist
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
JB did not mean to say that the 911 get's half of the county tax collected, 911 tax is collected seperate from countys, he meant they get half what the county gets, dollar wise.

Offline Lepard LLC

• Activist
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
None the less, what obscene amount of money will 911 get once Lowe's is up and running? Eventually you will all come to understand they have too much money. I don't care who does not like it, it is a fact, and will only get more obscene in the future. Attack my opinion all you want, but someday you will realize I am right. I think they have such a surplus of money that they have equipment, and software they aren't even trained well enough to operate. Please someone prove my suspicions wrong. Your turn. Wheres the global positioning we were promised? It was on its way two years ago, last I heard. I don't mind eating crow, please someone prove me wrong.

I have nothing personal against anyone at 911, for that matter I don't even know anyone at 911 well. It may be unpopular to say what I am saying, but I believe I am right, others agree with me, and I have the cojones to say so.

Offline Law101

• Global Moderator
  • Big Piney Community Activist
    • View Profile
I was amazed when I went I found out what the phone companies charge for the monthly fee so our 911 calls get routed where they need to be.  They also have to pay monthly rental fees for the towers that the antenas are on through out the county.  there is a lot of costs involved that we don't even know about, let alone think about. 

that is one of the problems I am running into about getting a tower out here in the Big Piney area so the Duke Fire District can communicate with their dispatch in Rolla.

Offline Lepard LLC

• Activist
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Wow, I must have hit the nail on the head with this one.

None the less, what obscene amount of money will 911 get once Lowe's is up and running? Eventually you will all come to understand they have too much money. I don't care who does not like it, it is a fact, and will only get more obscene in the future. Attack my opinion all you want, but someday you will realize I am right. I think they have such a surplus of money that they have equipment, and software they aren't even trained well enough to operate. Please someone prove my suspicions wrong. Your turn. Wheres the global positioning we were promised? It was on its way two years ago, last I heard. I don't mind eating crow, please someone prove me wrong.

I have nothing personal against anyone at 911, for that matter I don't even know anyone at 911 well. It may be unpopular to say what I am saying, but I believe I am right, others agree with me, and I have the cojones to say so.

Offline ghost_of_notsniw

• View Profile
They need to roll back the tax, plain and simple.

I've been saying it for years now, but everyone immediately begins with the attacks.  There is simply no reason for 911 to have that much money when the SD is languishing for funds.

Offline crazy horse

• View Profile
I am not attacking you at all, but I strongly disagree. They are NOT over-funded. I think Rick thought that because he thought it was 1/2 cent, but it is a 1/4 cent tax. Voted in "by the people" by a very popular vote. 911 is just as important as any of the rest of us. 911 saves life and further harm.  No need to take their funding and give to the sheriff's department (which isn't legal anyway).

Offline crazy horse

• View Profile
Ghost, I can't imagine you getting attacked...I'm the only one who defends them on here. Hahahaha, I bet I get a lot more bad karma things.

Offline Just_a_Biker

• View Profile
Wow, I must have hit the nail on the head with this one.

As of right now I have to disagree with you.  However, I would VERY MUCH like to see your questions answered, and I believe as a tax payer I have the right to.  E911 involves a lot of costs that the average citizen is not aware of, which Law101 brought up.  The citizens of the county voted FOR the E911 tax for the purposes that were outlined in the ballot, so you can't "take some" from E911 and give it to the PCSD.  I would like to see HOW the E911 Center's budget looks before circling the wagons to repeal or roll back the tax.  But then again, I'm one of the few that would like to see 911 dispatch for EVERYONE, including PCSD.  I just don't buy into the excuses given for that not to happen, but that's on another thread, so I'll leave it alone...

Bottom line, E911 is the FIRST LINK in the EMS community.  Those dispatchers are any citizens first call, they stay on the line until help arrives, many times providing life-saving pre-arrival instructions.  Often, the dispatcher has to guide EMS into the scene, because the dispatcher can cross reference maps & get directions from the caller while EMS is en route.  THEY (the dispatchers) have one of the most thankless jobs in the EMS field because they are never "seen", only heard.  Do I think the PCSD budget should be more? YES!  Do I think just because PCSD gets the shaft from the county that we should give the shaft to E911? HELL NO!  That's peas vs. carrots, yes their both vegetables, but their not the same. 

On that note I'd like to see something on here from one of the E911 board members, or even from Michelle herself regarding the questions that Rick posed...  I think it's your civic duty as elected & appointed officials to provide those answers...
The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. Cicero - 55 BC, Rome

Offline ghost_of_notsniw

• View Profile
Do I think just because PCSD gets the shaft from the county that we should give the shaft to E911? HELL NO!  That's peas vs. carrots, yes their both vegetables, but their not the same. 

I think this point is often the most misunderstood when discussing the 911 tax and the proposed LE tax.

Many (including me) contend that 911 has spent far more than necessary, needed or even contemplated because they have a very large budget.  A budget that is so large that they can afford "luxury" purchases while the SD cannot afford NECESSITIES.

Now nobody in any way is saying that this is 911's "fault."  What some of us are saying is that the sales tax can only be raised so many times before the people begin voting down EVERY revenue measure without considering the necessity or the ramifications.

So "comparing" apples and oranges isn't what we're doing.  What we are doing is saying 911 has a whole lot more apples than they need and the SD barely has enough oranges to make one small glass of OJ. 

And what we are contending is that since 911 and the SD both buy their fruit using taxpayer dollars, it's time to step up and distribute the taxes in the county in a much more responsible way that will give our county far greater returns on our tax dollars.

So in order to accomplish a sensible compromise, the 911 tax should be rolled back (as it is legally designed to do) to make a LE tax more pallatable to the taxpaying public.  It's a balancing act-or maybe a fruit juggling act.  But letting the apples pile up and spill out of the barrell while the oranges dwindle to nothing is pointless.

What use is an well funded 911 with an underfunded SD?  It just doesn't pass the common sense test.  Common sense tells me to leave ego's and department pride behind and instead focus on the greatest common good for the county.

Now I know those who work in the emergency services/LE universe don't want to step on anyone's toes and they really try to be diplomatic by not advocating the reduction of one service's revenue to fund another.  That's all fine and dandy.  Nobody wants a turf war. 

But I think that having 911 roll back their tax so a separate LE tax has a chance to pass isn't asking too much, and is a fair argument to make from a taxpayer standpoint.

Offline crazy horse

• View Profile
Ghost, you are thinking property taxes. They can be rolled back, not sales tax. You cannot roll back a sales tax. You can sunset it, but you can't roll it back like you do property tax.

That aside, they have to pay payroll, payroll taxes, insurance, work. comp. etc. The money they make from 1/4 cent will just barely cover that along with the building payment. 

Their budget is far less than the sheriff's. That is what I mean by incorrect information. The sheriff has about a 1.2 million dollar budget. The 911 about half of that (if that much, I'm not sure, I'll try to find out).

Offline Just_a_Biker

• View Profile
I think this point is often the most misunderstood when discussing the 911 tax and the proposed LE tax.

Many (including me) contend that 911 has spent far more than necessary, needed or even contemplated because they have a very large budget.  A budget that is so large that they can afford "luxury" purchases while the SD cannot afford NECESSITIES.

Ghost, as I said earlier, I think we would need to review the E911 budget before jumping to this conclusion.  Maybe a luxury purchase in your opinion, or mine for that matter, really isn't a luxury at all, but rather a necessity.  I'll throw out a hypothetical example; lets say E911 pays $900 for three dispatcher chairs.  You may view that as a luxury, but I do not.  $300 for an office chair that someone sits in less than 8 hours per day could be considered a luxury (in my opinion), but a GOOD (notice I said GOOD, NOT great) dispatcher chair can easily run well over $1,000 EACH, because they are designed to be utilized 24/7.  That example is COMPLETELY hypothetical, I have no idea what E911 pays for their chairs, or anything else for that matter, just wanted to throw out something that would raise some eyebrows of the general public, but not necessarily those who are involved in, or extremely familiar with Emergency Services.

Crazy Horse, correct me if I'm wrong, but IF it is decided that the E911 sales tax IS in fact excessive, can't there be a vote for say a 1/8 cent tax that will repeal the 1/4 cent tax in the same way the sales tax repealed the telephone tariff?
The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. Cicero - 55 BC, Rome

Offline Lepard LLC

• Activist
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Not correct, I knew how much money they had.

I am not attacking you at all, but I strongly disagree. They are NOT over-funded. I think Rick thought that because he thought it was 1/2 cent, but it is a 1/4 cent tax. Voted in "by the people" by a very popular vote. 911 is just as important as any of the rest of us. 911 saves life and further harm.  No need to take their funding and give to the sheriff's department (which isn't legal anyway).