Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • littlebit: Makes sense.
    July 16, 2017, 04:40:28 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Boards will stay open for a place people can find history information longer. I am not allowing anyone to sign up for now because of so many foreginers just wanting to promote their business..
    December 10, 2016, 05:10:27 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Not sure why didn't look, I may be shutting down these message boards..
    November 17, 2016, 12:42:43 AM
  • ~kathy~: rick why is the timestamp showing up a day in advance?
    September 13, 2016, 12:27:46 AM
  • Valor7: What I tried to say is that the actual money would not be there that quick. But a loan against that would work if they are willing to do that.
    August 08, 2016, 01:51:51 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Why so long before it comes online? 911 took out a loan or bond with the known guarantee payment and began building..
    August 08, 2016, 07:46:34 AM
  • Valor7: Actually no it is not, a dependable Revenue stream will not come on line until the 4th quarter of 2017 so 2018 budget will be up in the air, not quite sure what they will have. By 2019 budget all will be well.
    August 04, 2016, 09:27:17 PM
  • Valor7: You mean that tax that the Commissioners would not put on the ballot for so many years? Strange things happened when the citizens got a chance to vote on that issue.
    August 03, 2016, 06:43:06 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Back up is now available withe the new tax..
    August 03, 2016, 05:01:35 PM
  • Valor7: Thanks a lot Ladies!!
    July 29, 2016, 01:16:13 PM
  • littlebit: ((*(*&
    July 27, 2016, 03:47:52 PM
  • ~kathy~: lol
    July 15, 2016, 09:34:56 AM
  • Valor7: A guy could get killed around here while waiting for backup!
    July 13, 2016, 07:31:58 PM
  • Lepard LLC: You are not alone..
    July 13, 2016, 07:28:53 PM
  • Valor7: I just hate it when I talk to myself!!!!
    July 08, 2016, 12:54:09 PM
  • Valor7: I could have worded that better, we talked details, options, the pros and cons of each, in  order to arrive at the best ballot language to present to the voters. Hope that makes this clearer.
    April 15, 2016, 06:36:14 PM
  • Valor7: sorry about the typos still working with just one arm in action
    April 13, 2016, 01:10:42 PM
  • Valor7: Yes and no. We talked details and options until we were blue in the face but I never heardbring it over, it was always the time was not right for the issue to pass. Glad to see the time in now right and I for one shall vote yes on the ballot. I would urge all others to do the sameour county is busting at the seams crimewise and no matter how many bad guys we send off there always seems to someone to replace them. The Sheriff's Office needs the help.
    April 13, 2016, 01:08:35 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Is that true Valor? Did he ask you what you wanted?
    March 01, 2016, 04:55:37 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Gene Newkirk Rick I have waited for a Sheriff to bring it to me on what he wanted. I have pushed Mr long for a while to get it to me. He told me he was close to having or done. Now hopefully the people will get to decide on it. I spoke with Steve about this a few times.
    March 01, 2016, 04:54:54 AM
  • Kimberly: Wow- I have a new name..........
    February 23, 2016, 10:25:15 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Works on mine, improvements are being done here. I may kick back into her a lot and post but working on different technologies right now. Seeing how things interact.
    January 18, 2016, 09:01:20 AM
  • Valor7: Yes it is working. If you need a laugh the wife showed me how to correctly use the silly thing.
    January 04, 2016, 05:32:59 PM
  • Valor7: Think so, mine is trying to work but it is now user and password protected and I dont know mine
    December 17, 2015, 01:32:16 PM
  • "DJ": Is there still a working android app for the PCSD
    December 14, 2015, 08:14:53 PM

Author Topic: Incident at Waynesville Middle School  (Read 2921 times)

Offline Princess_KA

• Always look eye...
    • View Profile
Incident at Waynesville Middle School
« on: December 13, 2008, 01:25:38 AM »

Share/Bookmark

Fort Wood Hotel

Boards

Devils Elbow

Attractions

Sports

St. Robert

Waynesville

PC Daily

Dixon

Menu Guide

Fun Links

Homework

Crocker

Fort Wood

Swedeborg

Big Piney

Laquey

Classifieds

Restaurants

Richland

Fort  Hotels

My son just told me that in the middle of classes today, an alarm went off and after two minutes of the teachers not even knowing what it was, they figured out it was a fire alarm.  All the students headed outside, and a fire truck showed up.  They were allowed back in the school maybe a half hour later.  Granted this info is coming from my 13 year old who is known for over-embelishing a story and has no sense of how much time has passed during an event.  I'm just reporting the news as I hear it.   ::)

Anyone else hear anything???

Offline igahmah at work

• Global Moderator
  • Some pursue happiness, others create it!
    • View Profile
Re: Incident at Waynesville Middle School
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2008, 01:32:04 AM »
Sounds plausible to me.  Some kid probably set the fire alarm off but they had to evacuate to make sure.
When I was young, I wanted to be older.  This is not what I expected!

Offline Vado Del Rio

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2008, 01:33:47 AM »
One would assume that broadcast of instructions over the intercom would accompany a fire alarm.

Offline Princess_KA

• Always look eye...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2008, 01:35:56 AM »
No, just a loud bell.  The teacher didn't know what was going on, so he opened the door, the bell grew louder and there was a bunch of other strange sounds accompanying it.  He still waited, not knowing what was going on.  He started gathering the students to go outside a few minutes later after he noticed some other teachers doing it.

Offline CrazedChris

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2008, 01:43:37 AM »
Nice.  Great to know what capable hands the students are in.  What if it had been a serious situation?

Offline Princess_KA

• Always look eye...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2008, 01:47:08 AM »
Yeah, that was what I was thinking as well.  That's why I added that this was coming from my 13 year old.  I hope that he is over-embelishing the length of time it took for the teacher to figure it out.  He did say when the alarm went off, the teacher actually stopped what he was doing and said, "What's that?"

Offline Vado Del Rio

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2008, 02:02:13 AM »
Also keep in mind that if some moron pulled the alarm, school staff may have been elsewhere and unavailable to "immediately" respond.  Over the years, our school system has done a pretty exceptional job of managing emergencies, etc.  Most important, we've yet to loose a single child that I can recall.  I always like to post credit where credit is due.

Offline Princess_KA

• Always look eye...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2008, 02:29:10 AM »
Of course...Again, I was really just seeing if anyone else's kids had mentioned this incident or knew anything more than the story my kid gave me.

Offline darrellmaurina

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2008, 04:29:47 AM »
There was a fire alarm at the school and there was an evacuation. School fires are among the things that I race off to routinely, but firefighters arrived and found nothing before I even had time to get my tie and coat on, let alone get into my car and get started down the road from St. Robert to Waynesville. That much I can confirm.

I am **REALLY** hesitant to start reporting results of fire alarms being pulled since it's likely to generate more alarms, but since this is already being discussed on the internet, I'll call the chief tomorrow to find out how he believes the school personnel responded and if they responded appropriately. I don't want to call him at 10:30 p.m. on a non-emergency issue.

(And yes, if any Waynesville firefighters can't get to sleep and are reading this tonight and want to call me to get this laid to rest ASAP, I think most of the senior personnel there have my cell number. I'll be up most of the night and you can feel free to call or e-mail. Or I can talk to the chief tomorrow if you prefer.)
Darrell Todd Maurina
Check out the Pulaski County Daily News online newspaper at
http://www.pulaskicountyweb.com
Cell: (573) 433.6733 * FAX: (573) 774-2349
Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/darrellmaurina/
Follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/darrellmaurina/

Offline Princess_KA

• Always look eye...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2008, 04:35:57 AM »
Thanks DTM - it looks like my young eyewitness wasn't too far on his version of the chain of events.  I may make a decent reporter yet!

There was a fire alarm at the school and there was an evacuation. School fires are among the things that I race off to routinely, but firefighters arrived and found nothing before I even had time to get my tie and coat on, let alone get into my car and get started down the road from St. Robert to Waynesville. That much I can confirm.

I am **REALLY** hesitant to start reporting results of fire alarms being pulled since it's likely to generate more alarms, but since this is already being discussed on the internet, I'll call the chief tomorrow to find out how he believes the school personnel responded and if they responded appropriately. I don't want to call him at 10:30 p.m. on a non-emergency issue.

(And yes, if any Waynesville firefighters can't get to sleep and are reading this tonight and want to call me to get this laid to rest ASAP, I think most of the senior personnel there have my cell number. I'll be up most of the night and you can feel free to call or e-mail. Or I can talk to the chief tomorrow if you prefer.)

Offline sarah page

• "When The Rich Wage War, Its The Poor That Die"-Linkin Park
  • Muchlove To All
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2008, 05:12:24 AM »
They have different tones for different emergancys, at least they did 5 years ago and even before that. The teachers should have KNOWN that that was a fire alarm. Not an earthquake alarm or a tornado alarm. I say, somethings up with that.

Offline okie the thread killer

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2008, 11:28:32 PM »
The teachers shouldn't even necessially know whether it is real, a drill, or a prank. They should just react to the alarm. Apparently there was a breakdown in the system if this particular teacher didn't recognize the alarm. Then something needs to be addressed. JMO
I have it on good authority that the Hokey-Pokey really IS what it's all about.

Offline MoAngel1967

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2008, 04:40:58 AM »
I just asked my eighth grader if he knew anything about it.  He said they were in the gym when the alarm went off, and they were the first ones outside.  He said most classes were out there right away, but a few came out about 5 minutes later.  They may have been on the other side of the school.  He said they were outside for about 25 minutes or so.  He doesn't know why the alarm went off. 

Was there a substitute teacher that day?  If so, they may have been unfamiliar with the sound of the alarm.  There are different alarm tones for fire and tornado so that the teachers know which emergency plan to put into action.   

Offline blissfullybusy

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2008, 06:00:19 AM »
My sons teacher thought it was the hand sanitizer dispenser going nutso....... oh boy what a bright one. haha  She didn't know it was a fire alarm either.  That just makes me feel great.
Women are Angels

And when someone breaks our wings....

We simply continue to fly.........on a broomstick...

Because we are flexible like that

Offline Eeyore

• "Never leave your partner behind"
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2008, 06:23:13 AM »
If the alarm sounds like the hand sanitizer on the fritz -- sounds like a broken speaker!
    "Hey, hey, hey, hey now.  Don't be mean.  We don't have to be mean. because, remember, no matter where you go, there you are."      - The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai across The Eighth Dimension

Offline Princess_KA

• Always look eye...
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2008, 08:13:54 AM »
I guess we'll just have to wait for DTM to finalize his report to know what the deal was. At least I know my kid was pretty accurate in his synopsis.  And no, he did not have a substitute.

Offline What_The?

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2008, 04:53:41 PM »
They should do a fire drill.
"There are plenty of good reasons for fighting, but no good reason ever to hate without reservation, to imagine that God almighty Himself hates with you, too. Where's evil? It's that large part of every man that wants to hate without limit, that wants to hate with God on its side." - Kurt Vonnegut

Offline brooky

• Lurker
  • Go to your profile and put something here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2008, 11:17:32 PM »
it ended up that they were putting new heaters in and the oil burning off was what set the fire alarms off

Offline jlegwe

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2008, 02:47:43 PM »
Well i think the worst part of all this is the classes out in the trailers didnt hear it at all and  were in class the whole time........

Offline Just_a_Biker

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2008, 03:11:45 AM »
My daughter said the same thing... teacher didn't know what it was and they didn't leave the classroom until someone knocked on their door and told the teacher it was a fire alarm...
The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. Cicero - 55 BC, Rome