Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • littlebit: Makes sense.
    July 16, 2017, 04:40:28 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Boards will stay open for a place people can find history information longer. I am not allowing anyone to sign up for now because of so many foreginers just wanting to promote their business..
    December 10, 2016, 05:10:27 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Not sure why didn't look, I may be shutting down these message boards..
    November 17, 2016, 12:42:43 AM
  • ~kathy~: rick why is the timestamp showing up a day in advance?
    September 13, 2016, 12:27:46 AM
  • Valor7: What I tried to say is that the actual money would not be there that quick. But a loan against that would work if they are willing to do that.
    August 08, 2016, 01:51:51 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Why so long before it comes online? 911 took out a loan or bond with the known guarantee payment and began building..
    August 08, 2016, 07:46:34 AM
  • Valor7: Actually no it is not, a dependable Revenue stream will not come on line until the 4th quarter of 2017 so 2018 budget will be up in the air, not quite sure what they will have. By 2019 budget all will be well.
    August 04, 2016, 09:27:17 PM
  • Valor7: You mean that tax that the Commissioners would not put on the ballot for so many years? Strange things happened when the citizens got a chance to vote on that issue.
    August 03, 2016, 06:43:06 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Back up is now available withe the new tax..
    August 03, 2016, 05:01:35 PM
  • Valor7: Thanks a lot Ladies!!
    July 29, 2016, 01:16:13 PM
  • littlebit: ((*(*&
    July 27, 2016, 03:47:52 PM
  • ~kathy~: lol
    July 15, 2016, 09:34:56 AM
  • Valor7: A guy could get killed around here while waiting for backup!
    July 13, 2016, 07:31:58 PM
  • Lepard LLC: You are not alone..
    July 13, 2016, 07:28:53 PM
  • Valor7: I just hate it when I talk to myself!!!!
    July 08, 2016, 12:54:09 PM
  • Valor7: I could have worded that better, we talked details, options, the pros and cons of each, in  order to arrive at the best ballot language to present to the voters. Hope that makes this clearer.
    April 15, 2016, 06:36:14 PM
  • Valor7: sorry about the typos still working with just one arm in action
    April 13, 2016, 01:10:42 PM
  • Valor7: Yes and no. We talked details and options until we were blue in the face but I never heardbring it over, it was always the time was not right for the issue to pass. Glad to see the time in now right and I for one shall vote yes on the ballot. I would urge all others to do the sameour county is busting at the seams crimewise and no matter how many bad guys we send off there always seems to someone to replace them. The Sheriff's Office needs the help.
    April 13, 2016, 01:08:35 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Is that true Valor? Did he ask you what you wanted?
    March 01, 2016, 04:55:37 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Gene Newkirk Rick I have waited for a Sheriff to bring it to me on what he wanted. I have pushed Mr long for a while to get it to me. He told me he was close to having or done. Now hopefully the people will get to decide on it. I spoke with Steve about this a few times.
    March 01, 2016, 04:54:54 AM
  • Kimberly: Wow- I have a new name..........
    February 23, 2016, 10:25:15 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Works on mine, improvements are being done here. I may kick back into her a lot and post but working on different technologies right now. Seeing how things interact.
    January 18, 2016, 09:01:20 AM
  • Valor7: Yes it is working. If you need a laugh the wife showed me how to correctly use the silly thing.
    January 04, 2016, 05:32:59 PM
  • Valor7: Think so, mine is trying to work but it is now user and password protected and I dont know mine
    December 17, 2015, 01:32:16 PM
  • "DJ": Is there still a working android app for the PCSD
    December 14, 2015, 08:14:53 PM

Author Topic: Head on collision Richland  (Read 17431 times)

Offline Lepard LLC

• Activist
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Head on collision Richland
« on: December 27, 2008, 09:50:32 PM »

Share/Bookmark

Offline kari

• Always looking in.....
    • View Profile
Re: Head on collision Richland
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2008, 01:15:22 AM »
My thoughts are with the family..... I can not, do not, want to imagine the pain that family is going through.
Proud to have served, US Army, WAC

Offline Kristi Marie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2008, 01:31:19 AM »
Veh. #Vehicle DescriptionDamageDispositionDriver NameDriver GenderDriver AgeSafety DeviceDriver City/StateDriver InsuranceVehicle Direction
12008 DODGE VANTOTALTOWED BY/TO LARRY'S TOWINGWALL, LINDA MFEMALE63YESRICHLAND, MOFARMER'S INSURANCESOUTHBOUND
22000 DODGE RAM TRUCKTOTALTOWED BY/TO LARRY'S TOWINGCLARK, LEVI RMALE17NOCROCKER MOSHELTER INSURANCENORTHBOUND
Injury Information   
Veh. #NameGenderAgeInjury TypeSafety DeviceCity/StateInvolvementDisposition
1WALL, KATIE EFEMALE11MODERATEYESRICHLAND MOOCCUPANTTRANSPORTED TO PHELPS COUNTY REGIONAL MEDICAL CENTER BY PULASKI CO AMBULANCE
1WALL, LINDA MFEMALE63SERIOUSYESRICHLAND, MODRIVERTRANSPORTED TO PHELPS COUNTY REGIONAL MEDICAL CENTER BY PULASKI CO AMBULANCE
2CLARK, LEVI RMALE17FATALNOCROCKER MODRIVERTRANSPORTED BY CORONER TO LONG-GILBERT FUNERAL HOME IN CROCKER
Misc. Information   
FATALITY ACCIDENT OCCURRED AS VEHICLE 2 CROSSED THE CENTERLINE STRIKING VEHICLE1 HEAD ON. DRIVER 2 WAS PRONOUNCED BY PULASKI COUNTY CORONER MIKEL HARTNESS AT 1602 HRS. NEXT OF KIN HAS BEEN NOTIFIED. TROOP I #42 FATALITY OF 2008.

Offline Kristi Marie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2008, 01:32:37 AM »
Levi was in remission~ he had cancer for several years~ please please keep both families in your prayers...

Offline Kristi Marie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2008, 01:36:32 AM »
update

Veh. #Vehicle DescriptionDamageDispositionDriver NameDriver GenderDriver AgeSafety DeviceDriver City/StateDriver InsuranceVehicle Direction
12008 DODGE VANTOTALTOWED BY/TO LARRY'S TOWINGWALL, LINDA MFEMALE63YESRICHLAND, MOFARMER'S INSURANCESOUTHBOUND
22000 DODGE RAM TRUCKTOTALTOWED BY/TO LARRY'S TOWINGCLARK, LEVI RMALE17NOCROCKER MOSHELTER INSURANCENORTHBOUND
Injury Information   
Veh. #NameGenderAgeInjury TypeSafety DeviceCity/StateInvolvementDisposition
1WALL, KATIE EFEMALE11MODERATEYESRICHLAND MOOCCUPANTTRANSPORTED TO GENERAL LEONARD WOOD COMMUNITY HOSPITAL BY PULASKI CO AMBULANCE
1WALL, LINDA MFEMALE63FATALYESRICHLAND, MODRIVERTRANSPORTED TO PHELPS COUNTY REGIONAL MEDICAL CENTER BY PULASKI CO AMBULANCE
2CLARK, LEVI RMALE17FATALNOCROCKER MODRIVERTRANSPORTED BY CORONER TO LONG-GILBERT FUNERAL HOME IN CROCKER
Misc. Information   
FATALITY ACCIDENT OCCURRED AS VEHICLE 2 CROSSED THE CENTERLINE STRIKING VEHICLE1 HEAD ON. DRIVER 2 WAS PRONOUNCED BY PULASKI COUNTY CORONER MIKEL HARTNESS AT 1602 HRS. NEXT OF KIN HAS BEEN NOTIFIED. TROOP I #42 FATALITY OF 2008.

Offline Kristi Marie

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2008, 01:37:18 AM »
Mrs. Wall is the mayor of Richland's wife~

Offline ~kathy~

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2008, 01:44:19 AM »
our prayers go out to my husbands family. levi will be missed he was such a sweet boy.  i pray for the other family to.
Go ahead and blame me....Everyone else does

Offline Yankee Trader

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2008, 03:46:05 AM »
Our thoughts and prayers are with all involved and their families. 

Offline darrellmaurina

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2008, 03:56:34 AM »
Two head-on wrecks kill two, injure seven

Firefighters clear the wreckage of a fatal crash Saturday on Highway 133.

Two head-on wrecks kill two, injure seven
RICHLAND/HOUSTON, Mo. — Two separate head-on wrecks Saturday afternoon killed two drivers and injured seven people, according to Missouri State Highway Patrol reports. A head-on crash on Highway 133 between Richland and Swedeborg killed both drivers and left an 11-year-old passenger with moderate injuries. Missouri State Highway Patrol reports indicated that the crash claimed the lives of Linda M. Wall, 63, of Richland, and Levi R. Clark, 17, of Crocker. Katie Wall, 11, a passenger in Linda Wall’s white 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT, suffered moderate injuries and was transported by Pulaski County Ambulance District paramedics to Phelps County Regional Medical Center. According to the state patrol report, Clark had been northbound on Highway 133 in his pickup when he crossed the centerline and hit Wall’s van head-on. Elsewhere in Missouri on Saturday, a Texas County head-on crash wrecked two vehicles and injured six people, four from Waynesville. Troopers reported that at 1:18 p.m., Michelle L. Mongillo, 25, of West Plains, was southbound on U.S. Highway 63 about four miles north of Houston when she lost control of her 2001 Chrysler Sebring, hydroplaned, crossed the centerline, and struck a northbound 2001 Ford Escape driven by Trisha Bradberry, 35, also of West Plains. Mongillo, Bradberry, and Bradberry’s passengers, David L. Bradberry, 40, Maria M. Bradberry, 12, David L. Bradberry Jr., 15, and Michael D. Toole, 16, all of Waynesville, were transported to Texas County Memorial Hospital for treatment; the elder David Bradberry and Maria Bradberry suffered minor injuries and the others were moderately injured. Read More ...
Darrell Todd Maurina
Check out the Pulaski County Daily News online newspaper at
http://www.pulaskicountyweb.com
Cell: (573) 433.6733 * FAX: (573) 774-2349
Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/darrellmaurina/
Follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/darrellmaurina/

Offline demo.dave

• Im a veteran of the unspeakable.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2008, 09:27:04 AM »
Man Mrs. Wall was my 4th grade teacher. She was always one of my favorites. She is also my neighbor. This sucks. I hate hearin sirens in a small town. They can always lead to this.

Offline Law101

• Global Moderator
  • Big Piney Community Activist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2008, 02:57:13 PM »
Thoughts and prayers for all affected by this tragedy.

Offline jlh

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2008, 05:47:21 PM »
My thoughts and prayers go out to family and friends of both the deceased. What a tragic loss for both families.

Offline Janice

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2008, 12:10:42 AM »
My thoughts and prayers go out to all who knew them. I also have a plea.. Please make sure you and all who get in your car are buckled up. I didn't know either but having lost a family member in a accident my heart hurts for anyone having to go through it.

Offline Digital Narcosis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2008, 12:48:20 AM »
Depressing...

Only 17...

Offline okie the thread killer

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2008, 12:51:16 AM »
And battling cancer. How tragic for all.
I have it on good authority that the Hokey-Pokey really IS what it's all about.

Offline blissfullybusy

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2008, 01:05:40 AM »
What a tragedy, my heart is broken for all those who are grieving.   My prayers are with the little girl for a speedy recovery from physical wounds.

I understand peoples disgusting desperation for gruesome news, but are pictures of accidents truly necessary?  It just seems so terribly morbid.  I know as a mother I wouldn't want to see it, if it was my child that was in it.
Women are Angels

And when someone breaks our wings....

We simply continue to fly.........on a broomstick...

Because we are flexible like that

Offline cricket

• me 115 feet up inn the air
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2008, 02:15:44 AM »
Thank you Blissfully I agree with you 100% I do not think pictures or details should be shared.

I understand peoples disgusting desperation for gruesome news, but are pictures of accidents truly necessary?  It just seems so terribly morbid.  I know as a mother I wouldn't want to see it, if it was my child that was in it.
Live as you will wish to have lived when you are dying

Offline kari

• Always looking in.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2008, 02:34:29 PM »
Very difficult call...  I am a very empathic person, seeing and reading such things are emotionally difficult for me.  I can not imagine how the family feels seeing the pics.  On the other side of the coin, it does offer a lesson to our youth, as to how dangerous driving is, and that they must take the responsibility of driving serious.  It also reminds the rest of us that we can not take the responsibility of driving for granted.  So many things can affect our driving/ride, such as outside conditions (tires, road conditions, weather, etc.) that we have no control over.

Offline darrellmaurina

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2008, 03:00:58 PM »
Photos of car crashes are standard operating procedure for most newspapers, and they're some of the highest-interest items in newspapers. That's just the way it is.

Furthermore, they **DO** provide a definite shock value to young drivers to see the consequences of a few seconds of inattention. I haven't done it locally, but in prior communities I've been brought in to schools or youth groups give some pretty horrible and gruesome stories, with full-color photos, to new teen drivers of what I've seen on crashes -- up to and including a headless adult motorcyclist after a van full of teenagers decided to go the wrong way on a four-lane state highway and hit a motorcyclist head-on. The teens eventually spent prison time for vehicular homicide, if I remember right. I am of the firm conviction that people can be "scared straight" by seeing the extreme consequences of irresponsible driving. I'm not saying this happened Saturday -- the state patrol report does not indicate why the teen driver lost control and I'd prefer to give the benefit of the doubt -- but it **HAS** happened in many other cases that momentary inattention or irresponsibility killed others.

Almost every detail I listed of this particular crash that might be considered "sensitive" was available on the State Patrol's website, as with any other injury crash the state patrol works. KFBD radio, which was not at the crash scene, got pretty much the same information from the state patrol website and has been running it every hour on the hour since.

The Daily Guide's rules for crash photos, which I believe are good rules and I've more or less followed more or less for years before and after working at the Daily Guide, include no photos of bodies. For fatalities, in most cases I will run photos of the car of the person who was responsible for the crash, not the victim.

Since I have no way to know which driver was responsible for the crash at the scene, I take photos of both vehicles. Often lawyers, insurance companies, police, or family members want the "outtakes" that don't get printed. Those were routinely provided free of charge to family members or police but at a charge to lawyers and insurance companies by the Daily Guide. I don't know what they will do now with the new publisher on photos. As far as I'm concerned, anyone who has a legitimate reason to want my photos of a crash can have them for free, except for lawyers and insurance companies which are used to paying for them.

Regards,
Darrell Todd Maurina

Thank you Blissfully I agree with you 100% I do not think pictures or details should be shared.

Darrell Todd Maurina

Offline kari

• Always looking in.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2008, 03:14:56 PM »
DTM, it is at times like this, that I can not envy your job.  You end up eyewitness to the pain that families feel.  Yes, it is a job, one's emotions are there, yet most times, you have to put those emotions aside to do your job.  Rarely can you allow your emotions to become part of the story (though there are circumstances that not only allow it, but may be part of the story itself).  I do respect your diligence in reporting news, that many of us find difficult to just read.

Offline 48fan

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2008, 03:22:53 PM »
DTM, it is at times like this, that I can not envy your job.  You end up eyewitness to the pain that families feel.  Yes, it is a job, one's emotions are there, yet most times, you have to put those emotions aside to do your job.  Rarely can you allow your emotions to become part of the story (though there are circumstances that not only allow it, but may be part of the story itself).  I do respect your diligence in reporting news, that many of us find difficult to just read.

I agree 100% and thank you DTM for your abilities and dedication.

Offline ex-ed

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2008, 03:27:14 PM »

Darrell's diligence and dedication to his profession is admirable. He consistently goes above and beyond the call of duty. Keep up the great work, Darrell.
    My prayers go out to the families involved. Not publishing the photos would give little added solace under the circumstances.
"Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come!"

Offline blissfullybusy

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2008, 03:38:54 PM »
Photos of car crashes are standard operating procedure for most newspapers, and they're some of the highest-interest items in newspapers. That's just the way it is.

Furthermore, they **DO** provide a definite shock value to young drivers to see the consequences of a few seconds of inattention. I haven't done it locally, but in prior communities I've been brought in to schools or youth groups give some pretty horrible and gruesome stories, with full-color photos, to new teen drivers of what I've seen on crashes -- up to and including a headless adult motorcyclist after a van full of teenagers decided to go the wrong way on a four-lane state highway and hit a motorcyclist head-on. The teens eventually spent prison time for vehicular homicide, if I remember right. I am of the firm conviction that people can be "scared straight" by seeing the extreme consequences of irresponsible driving. I'm not saying this happened Saturday -- the state patrol report does not indicate why the teen driver lost control and I'd prefer to give the benefit of the doubt -- but it **HAS** happened in many other cases that momentary inattention or irresponsibility killed others.

Almost every detail I listed of this particular crash that might be considered "sensitive" was available on the State Patrol's website, as with any other injury crash the state patrol works. KFBD radio, which was not at the crash scene, got pretty much the same information from the state patrol website and has been running it every hour on the hour since.

The Daily Guide's rules for crash photos, which I believe are good rules and I've more or less followed more or less for years before and after working at the Daily Guide, include no photos of bodies. For fatalities, in most cases I will run photos of the car of the person who was responsible for the crash, not the victim.

Since I have no way to know which driver was responsible for the crash at the scene, I take photos of both vehicles. Often lawyers, insurance companies, police, or family members want the "outtakes" that don't get printed. Those were routinely provided free of charge to family members or police but at a charge to lawyers and insurance companies by the Daily Guide. I don't know what they will do now with the new publisher on photos. As far as I'm concerned, anyone who has a legitimate reason to want my photos of a crash can have them for free, except for lawyers and insurance companies which are used to paying for them.

Regards,
Darrell Todd Maurina

I do understand, I just wish it wasn't that way. It makes me terribly sad, I too am extremely empathetic and to see the horrific site where two people lost their lives just tears me open inside.

Daryl, I do appreciate your reporting, I just wish that people weren't so gore hungry.
Women are Angels

And when someone breaks our wings....

We simply continue to fly.........on a broomstick...

Because we are flexible like that

Offline darrellmaurina

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2008, 04:20:25 PM »

Thanks, Kari (and Ex-Ed, and Blissfully, and 48 Fan, and others I may have missed).

To give a straight answer to a difficult question, in 18 years as a reporter, I've seen more gruesomely mangled or burned-up dead bodies and twisted hunks of metal and wood that used to be vehicles or houses than most of today's active-duty soldiers have seen, unless they're in some kind of unit that regularly sees heavy combat. (I'm not talking about the Vietnam or Korean or WW2 vets, who fought in much more up-close-and-personal conflicts with far higher casualties than the types of military actions we're seen in the combat actions in the last three decades.) The state patrol and local police and firefighters routinely try to make sure that bystanders don't see bodies or seriously injured people and I always cooperate, but that doesn't always happen for a variety of reasons and I've seen some pretty awful stuff.

The cases I hate the most are the ones where I arrive at a really bad crash or fire before anybody else -- at least twice in the last year, I've been the first person on the scene of a fatality and once I've been there before anybody else on a very serious injury crash. In two of those three cases, I've been the one to call emergency responders and provide information on what I'm seeing in front of me before rescue personnel arrive, and I feel really bad knowing that without medical training, there is nothing I can do except assure whoever is around that emergency personnel are on their way.

(To avoid misunderstandings, no, I don't deliberately race the emergency responders to a scene, and actually I usually wait to see if a crash or fire is serious or not before going out. But I'm on the road a great deal, and it just happens that sometimes I'm close to a wreck or fire and arrive before anybody else. The volunteer firefighters have to rush to the fire station, put on their gear, jump on their trucks, and race to a scene, while I only have to put on a necktie and grab my reflective vest if I'm in the area anyway.)

Like anyone else, seeing (and hearing) screaming injured people and crying relatives and torn-apart bodies used to bother me. I've talked with some young soldiers on their way to Iraq who wanted to know how I manage to do my job, and there's no magic bullet ... I just do the same thing that every paramedic and emergency room doctor and police officer working traffic has to do, namely, focus on doing my job.
Darrell Todd Maurina

Offline debhake

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2008, 05:21:32 PM »
Emergency responders and others that respond to emergency situations have to be special individuals to be able to handle such situations.  This would include DTM. 
Kudos to all who perform that type of work.  I for one could not do it. 
My thoughts and prayers go out to the families of the individuals involved in the accident. 

Offline cricket

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2008, 09:54:50 PM »
DTM I do understand where you are coming from from a certain point. But as a mother who has lost a 17 year old son in a car wreck, I think it is very distasteful, and it hurts the familes so much to see these pictures, Im sure everyone knows what the firefigters where doing when the picture was snapped. I am so glad I did not know this website was here 5 years ago, or I would of probably came unglued. There was no pictures of my sons car taken that made the paper, and I am so glad!! I can see pictures being shown to kids in school they did that when I was in school.

Offline cricket

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2008, 09:57:45 PM »
I want you to be able to say this when it is your son or daughter. Bet you would change your mind.

Darrell's diligence and dedication to his profession is admirable. He consistently goes above and beyond the call of duty. Keep up the great work, Darrell.
    My prayers go out to the families involved. Not publishing the photos would give little added solace under the circumstances.

Offline the3kittens

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2008, 12:43:16 AM »
I agree 100% with cricket and showmehillbilly on this one i think that the picture is going a little far.. that is just sick nobody should even want to take a picture like that is just so wrong, and very disrespectful to the family of this boy!!

Offline darrellmaurina

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2008, 12:56:28 AM »
I want you to be able to say this when it is your son or daughter. Bet you would change your mind.

Actually, I've been at and photographed a car crash involving ed-ed's daughter on a different part of Highway 133.

When I worked for another newspaper, my wife was in a major crash. The only reason photos weren't taken was that the crash was in a different county and our newspaper's photographer, who happened to be driving by on her way back from a larger city about an hour away, had no idea the wreck involved a resident of our county. If photos had been available they would have run on page one specifically because they did involve a member of the news staff. I've said to law enforcement that if I'm involved in a wreck and can't take my own photos, grab my camera, take a photo, and make sure nobody can ever say that I give myself or my family any sort of special treatment. Police and firefighters often think I'm joking, until I make clear that I'm dead serious and I don't tolerate special treatment for myself or anyone associated with me.

I have to say that I was there when my best friend lost her son. It was horrible! His father and brother were on the fire dept and went to the scene only to find out it was their family who was suffering the loss. I cant even imagine. I cant even imagine having photos published of fire dept personel cutting him out of the vechicle!! ... But to have one published where they are still trying to get him out of the vechicle knowing his is still in there dead is just unfathomable. ... I think the death of this young man was a shock enough to his friends, I dont think a picture of him being cut out of the vechicle helps cause my son was devistated when he seen it.

Just to be clear, the firefighters were cleaning up the mess **AFTER** the crash victims were all extricated. These photos are **NOT** cutting the victim out of the car.

I specifically asked the state trooper about that to make sure before I started taking photos. I try to avoid those photos on major crashes because there's a chance the victim will get shown. I show the firefighters or law enforcement at work, not photos of the victim in the car.

Please read the photo cutline on the article: "Crocker and Tri-County firefighters work together to clean up the wreckage of a two-vehicle crash on Highway 133 between Richland and Swedeborg that claimed the lives of both drivers."

Photos were taken of the car after it was towed away and the family could bear to see it.

Whatever paper that was in, it must not have been the Waynesville Daily Guide. Former publisher Joel Goodridge had a rule in place that photos were to be taken at the crash scene, not after the vehicle was towed away. I found out about that rule when Joel told me the paper couldn't use a photo I took after the vehicle was towed away. I have no idea what rules the Daily Guide may have now about crashes, or what was done before Joel came in the early 1990s, but that's the way things were done for at least a dozen years.

Im sorry not trying to "P" anybody off or make Darrell look bad but there has to be a line drawn on what is published and what is not. I dont knock him for doing his job wich he is good at, or for taking pictures. But be more discreet and more empathetic towards the family and not publish one that will tear at there hearts.

Don't worry, your comments don't offend me. I'm used to dealing with upset friends and family members -- it's part of my job.

There is nothing in this photo that is any different from what I did for the Daily Guide for more than four years or what others have done for over a decade before that, and quite frankly, the Daily Guide's photos are pretty tame compared to what most newspapers would do.

The line I draw is that I don't photograph crash victims. Most newspapers would run blood-and-guts photos on page one in color, which is perfectly within their rights, but which I don't think helps anyone -- especially since in many cases, the damage to the car is much more phographically evident than the injuries to the victims. I can't see a good reason for photographing the victim; the point is communicated much more effectively by photographing the vehicle.
Darrell Todd Maurina