Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • littlebit: Makes sense.
    July 16, 2017, 04:40:28 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Boards will stay open for a place people can find history information longer. I am not allowing anyone to sign up for now because of so many foreginers just wanting to promote their business..
    December 10, 2016, 05:10:27 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Not sure why didn't look, I may be shutting down these message boards..
    November 17, 2016, 12:42:43 AM
  • ~kathy~: rick why is the timestamp showing up a day in advance?
    September 13, 2016, 12:27:46 AM
  • Valor7: What I tried to say is that the actual money would not be there that quick. But a loan against that would work if they are willing to do that.
    August 08, 2016, 01:51:51 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Why so long before it comes online? 911 took out a loan or bond with the known guarantee payment and began building..
    August 08, 2016, 07:46:34 AM
  • Valor7: Actually no it is not, a dependable Revenue stream will not come on line until the 4th quarter of 2017 so 2018 budget will be up in the air, not quite sure what they will have. By 2019 budget all will be well.
    August 04, 2016, 09:27:17 PM
  • Valor7: You mean that tax that the Commissioners would not put on the ballot for so many years? Strange things happened when the citizens got a chance to vote on that issue.
    August 03, 2016, 06:43:06 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Back up is now available withe the new tax..
    August 03, 2016, 05:01:35 PM
  • Valor7: Thanks a lot Ladies!!
    July 29, 2016, 01:16:13 PM
  • littlebit: ((*(*&
    July 27, 2016, 03:47:52 PM
  • ~kathy~: lol
    July 15, 2016, 09:34:56 AM
  • Valor7: A guy could get killed around here while waiting for backup!
    July 13, 2016, 07:31:58 PM
  • Lepard LLC: You are not alone..
    July 13, 2016, 07:28:53 PM
  • Valor7: I just hate it when I talk to myself!!!!
    July 08, 2016, 12:54:09 PM
  • Valor7: I could have worded that better, we talked details, options, the pros and cons of each, in  order to arrive at the best ballot language to present to the voters. Hope that makes this clearer.
    April 15, 2016, 06:36:14 PM
  • Valor7: sorry about the typos still working with just one arm in action
    April 13, 2016, 01:10:42 PM
  • Valor7: Yes and no. We talked details and options until we were blue in the face but I never heardbring it over, it was always the time was not right for the issue to pass. Glad to see the time in now right and I for one shall vote yes on the ballot. I would urge all others to do the sameour county is busting at the seams crimewise and no matter how many bad guys we send off there always seems to someone to replace them. The Sheriff's Office needs the help.
    April 13, 2016, 01:08:35 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Is that true Valor? Did he ask you what you wanted?
    March 01, 2016, 04:55:37 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Gene Newkirk Rick I have waited for a Sheriff to bring it to me on what he wanted. I have pushed Mr long for a while to get it to me. He told me he was close to having or done. Now hopefully the people will get to decide on it. I spoke with Steve about this a few times.
    March 01, 2016, 04:54:54 AM
  • Kimberly: Wow- I have a new name..........
    February 23, 2016, 10:25:15 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Works on mine, improvements are being done here. I may kick back into her a lot and post but working on different technologies right now. Seeing how things interact.
    January 18, 2016, 09:01:20 AM
  • Valor7: Yes it is working. If you need a laugh the wife showed me how to correctly use the silly thing.
    January 04, 2016, 05:32:59 PM
  • Valor7: Think so, mine is trying to work but it is now user and password protected and I dont know mine
    December 17, 2015, 01:32:16 PM
  • "DJ": Is there still a working android app for the PCSD
    December 14, 2015, 08:14:53 PM

Author Topic: TAXES FOR LAW ENFORCMENT  (Read 105704 times)

Offline justwannahelp

• View Profile
TAXES FOR LAW ENFORCMENT
« on: April 03, 2007, 10:24:35 PM »

Share/Bookmark

Fort Wood Hotel

Boards

Devils Elbow

Attractions

Sports

St. Robert

Waynesville

PC Daily

Dixon

Menu Guide

Fun Links

Homework

Crocker

Fort Wood

Swedeborg

Big Piney

Laquey

Classifieds

Restaurants

Richland

Fort  Hotels

Ok I moved up here since this is about the county government.  I got a question, I understand that the commissioners are not gonna respond well to all the (for lack of a better word) crap that gets exagerated or blown out of proportion.  In reallity though they haven't been responding well for the past year or so that people have been asking for this tax.  People keep talking about Ransdal, but the other 2 have been in office lonnger then him and they have not wanted to try anything either have they?  I have to agree on some things though, IT seems it really is going to take something bad to happen before they decide to put it on the ballot.  Gary said somthing about the citys and state backing up county officers the other night that was true, but how much longer does it take for them to get there compared to if county actually had the officers on that could respond when the call came in before the officer got onscene and realized they needed backup.  Understandably they know right off the bat in some cases, but not in others.  I just thought I would bring this up and see if anyone wanted to toss it around a bit.

Offline Valor7

• View Profile
Re: TAXES FOR LAW ENFORCMENT
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2007, 10:59:32 PM »
I feel the need to remind everyone that Commissioner Farnham did make a motion in an open meeting for a law enforcement sales tax to be placed on the ballot. The motion died for the lack of a second. This was in January I believe.

JB

watson

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2007, 11:26:11 PM »
Can a citizen go in and ask for it to be placed on the table again......

Offline justwannahelp

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2007, 12:42:17 AM »
Thank you JB I must have missed that.  So if it was motioned
then Thornsberry and Bill are against it.
I feel the need to remind everyone that Commissioner Farnham did make a motion in an open meeting for a law enforcement sales tax to be placed on the ballot. The motion died for the lack of a second. This was in January I believe.

JB

Offline Yankee Trader

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2007, 01:40:03 PM »
I think Commissioner Farnham has actually proposed the LE Tax 2 times.  One time under Crismon and one time under Ransdall. So we are 1/3 of the way there!

Response times depend on officer postition. All the depts. in the county with the exception of Dixon PD can respond immediately upon our request and most monitor our radio frequency as we do theirs so they already know before the phone call is made that we need help. Dixon has to check with the Marshall to get permission first so they usually are delayed a minute or so. The mutual aid runs both ways.  There are numerous times that deputies assist the cities when available too. 

Hope that helps.

Offline crazy horse

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2007, 02:07:14 PM »
My point was for a citizen who reads the exaggeration thinking they might not get help. The post where the person posted that if 3 calls came in and one of them was a man with a gun on Bill Ransdall and some other call, then a lady with a flat tire. The poster said he/she would leave Mr. Ransdall as the last call. I was responding to that. As anyone knows who works in public safety or emergency services, when a bad call (gun play, robbery, etc.) comes in so many cops respond it is unbelievable. It is not uncommon at all to have a dozen cars on scene in minutes (on a bad call). I just didn't want a citizen to read some of these post and be afraid. Fire, EMS, and police do have and use mutual assistance--very well I might add.   Does that mean that you do not need more deputies? No, not at all. You do. And, they need a new fleet of cars. Improved benefits. I am for the LE tax...let me make that clear. But telling citizens they might not get help....I would never post that. And the post about Bill Ransdall is a disgrace. No deputy that I know would do that.

Gary

Offline crazy horse

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2007, 02:09:37 PM »
Yes, and keep giving me the bad karma, hahaha,    that merely means I am telling the truth and it often hurts.

Offline Yankee Trader

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2007, 02:22:26 PM »
For sure Gary! We don't screen calls by the caller's name.  We screen by level of urgency. Luckily most people understand and are patient for the most part.

Offline Lepard LLC

• Activist
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2007, 02:50:54 PM »
I had not noticed your negative karma. I am shocked. Gary does not deserve this negative Karma.

Yes, and keep giving me the bad karma, hahaha,    that merely means I am telling the truth and it often hurts.

Offline Law101

• Global Moderator
  • Big Piney Community Activist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2007, 02:54:59 PM »
I have a question about mutual aid out in the Big Piney area.  We are so far from services out here that if a Deputy responds to a call from our area and needs assitance, how long would it take to get help for that officer?  Can Texas County assist the Deputy or do they have to wait the 40 minutes or so that it takes to get someone out here?

There was a recent call out here that had the potential to be extremely dangerous for the officers involved.  Thankfully it was only a dog that had been shot but when it was called in there was no way of knowing that.  

Offline crazy horse

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2007, 03:01:21 PM »
I know that Bruce. Whoever posted that obviously doesn't know the quality of our cops...and dispatchers.

Law101, that is the one exception. It has always been that way, except a few years ago a deputy lived there. I won't give his name as I don't know if he would want that. But, he took care of things down there for the sheriff. We (EMS) worry about that too. We had a knife pulled on a team once down there and of course it took a deputy awhile to get there. That is a proximity problem that has "always" been a problem.

Thank you Rick.

Offline Law101

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2007, 03:08:30 PM »
No, he does not deserve the bad karma.  He has been extremely helpful to me regarding the 911 issues that Big Piney had.  

I think a lot of people don't understand how things work in politics and tend to get frustrated by the lack of action that is being taken.  Let's all work together to resolve the problems in the best way possible, instead of getting worked up over it and adding fuel to the fire.

I agree the Commissioners need to know if the support is there for some kind of LE Tax and they do need to be aware that the voteing population can and will show it's displeasure at the ballot box but on the other hand they also need to know that because a lot of us can't get to the Commission meetings we don't always know for sure what is going on.  It would be nice if they would consider having a thread here on the board so they could help keep us informed.  And that thread shouldn't become a place for us all to beat them up in.  It should instead be a place for a civil exchange of ideas.

Offline Law101

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2007, 03:10:06 PM »
I knew that Deputy and he was an asset to our community and we miss having him out here.

Offline deputy341

• what would you do in my footsteps?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2007, 03:54:47 PM »
I have a question about mutual aid out in the Big Piney area.  We are so far from services out here that if a Deputy responds to a call from our area and needs assitance, how long would it take to get help for that officer?  Can Texas County assist the Deputy or do they have to wait the 40 minutes or so that it takes to get someone out here?

There was a recent call out here that had the potential to be extremely dangerous for the officers involved.  Thankfully it was only a dog that had been shot but when it was called in there was no way of knowing that.  

i think it only took us about 13 minutes to get out post to piney that day! (correct me if i am wrong YT, but i think thats close) mm341
With out heart we are nothing.

Offline Yankee Trader

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2007, 04:08:04 PM »
i think it only took us about 13 minutes to get out post to piney that day! (correct me if i am wrong YT, but i think thats close) mm341

hehe...close 341!  Actually from time of dispatch to scene time it was 14 minutes. I have developed a great working relationship with the MP desk over the last year and we were able to have both gates ready and the MPs had every intersection on post manned and blocked so our officers could make it though post without delay. They were a great help!

As far as mutual aid....for that call I had 2 Texas County Deputies and the Highway Patrol enroute also.  I don't know how many troopers were on the way.  My dispatchers know not to hesitate to call any agency needed to help and not hesitate doing it.  I go by the adage that we can turn help around when it is on the way easier than calling for more when you don't have enough initially.

Offline Yankee Trader

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2007, 04:09:04 PM »
I had not noticed your negative karma. I am shocked. Gary does not deserve this negative Karma.

For sure! hehe...I musta said the wrong thing this am as someone gave me one.  Oh well.....I am with Gary!

Offline Law101

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2007, 04:11:44 PM »
I am glad to know it didn't take you long to get out here.  It was about 40 minutes for the reserve from Richland to get out here the time I called for assistance.

Offline Law101

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2007, 04:14:33 PM »
Thanks for posting the information Yankee.  It is a relief to know that we aren't as isolated as we sometimes think we are.  I was more worried about the Deputies needing help and none being available quickly enough. 

Offline ab1999

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2007, 01:15:12 AM »
My point was for a citizen who reads the exaggeration thinking they might not get help. The post where the person posted that if 3 calls came in and one of them was a man with a gun on Bill Ransdall and some other call, then a lady with a flat tire. The poster said he/she would leave Mr. Ransdall as the last call. I was responding to that. As anyone knows who works in public safety or emergency services, when a bad call (gun play, robbery, etc.) comes in so many cops respond it is unbelievable. It is not uncommon at all to have a dozen cars on scene in minutes (on a bad call). I just didn't want a citizen to read some of these post and be afraid. Fire, EMS, and police do have and use mutual assistance--very well I might add.   Does that mean that you do not need more deputies? No, not at all. You do. And, they need a new fleet of cars. Improved benefits. I am for the LE tax...let me make that clear. But telling citizens they might not get help....I would never post that. And the post about Bill Ransdall is a disgrace. No deputy that I know would do that.

Gary

I agree 100 percent Gary

watson

« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2007, 06:28:07 AM »
I think it would be a great idea for the commisioners to have a place here that people could ask questions and the Commissioners could give the answers...After all if David Day can do it why could not the Commissioners to it.....It all depends on if they want to take the time out for the people is the way I see it....It could sure help clear up alot of misunderstandings in this county....I would be very proud of them if they would talk to Rick and start a thread on it.....Now the questions is......will they.......we will see......They could also post the minutes of the meetings so that the county people could read it too.....

Of course we also need to ask Rick if he would agree to this also.....

Offline justwannahelp

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2007, 04:36:18 PM »
Has anyone actually went down to a commisioners meeting and brought the law enforcment tax in open forum where it can get discussed in the public and some ideas can be brought up so that the commisioners know that it is wanted by the public as well as just the Sheriffs office?

Offline 02Tundra

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2007, 06:30:50 PM »
If they don't already know it, they haven't been listening!  Bill Farnham has brought it up several times, but the other two don't support the LE tax, I guess.  If I'm not mistaken Ransdall said during the election that he didn't believe we needed it and won on that platform, among other things, so I guess we have what we voted for! %%$%$$#  NOTE: I didn't vote for the guy because he didn't support the LE tax.

watson

« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2007, 01:04:55 AM »
Well to begin with we need to decide what kind of LE tax do we want...Do we want the full LE tax of 1/2 percent or can we do the 1/4 percent and the Sheriff Department can keep what they received from the general fund now.....That would be a less tax for the people in the county but would still help the Sheriff Department give the deputies a raise in pay so that we can keep some of these good deputies and they can support their families too.....What does everyone think about this.....Or does anyone else have some ides.....This is what we need is ideas on the LE Tax then maybe we can discuss it with the commissioners at one of their meetings...... &^^&&^^ &^^&&^^

Offline Lepard LLC

• Activist
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2007, 01:11:55 AM »
It would be close to a million dollar a year raise (Taking into consideration Lowes opening.). Almost double what he has now. It requires the commissioners to commit to never reducing the amount below what he received this year (Although I'd be happy with them leaving it at a flat million, which would free up 200,000 or more right away, for other county services.)  That puts the sheriff at no less than 1.8 million his first year. In the long run it increases the county's budget for other areas, as their tax money increases they won't be giving any more to the sheriff than he gets now, and the sheriff's money will increase each year as sales in the community grow. It is a win win situation for all involved. Even St. Robert officials might could swallow the quarter cent a bit easier..

Win Win Win
This plan makes commissioners happy because they get more money for other departments that need it, it makes JB happy because he gets more money, it makes all elected officials in every department happy because they all get a slice of the pie, and it's an easier pill for cities to swallow. The cities risk this being a half cent, therefore it would be smart for them to support this 1/4 cent idea.

Well to begin with we need to decide what kind of LE tax do we want...Do we want the full LE tax of 1/2 percent or can we do the 1/4 percent and the Sheriff Department can keep what they received from the general fund now.....That would be a less tax for the people in the county but would still help the Sheriff Department give the deputies a raise in pay so that we can keep some of these good deputies and they can support their families too.....What does everyone think about this.....Or does anyone else have some ides.....This is what we need is ideas on the LE Tax then maybe we can discuss it with the commissioners at one of their meetings...... &^^&&^^ &^^&&^^

Offline Lepard LLC

• Activist
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2007, 03:25:42 AM »
I just read the Daily Guide and got a better perspective on the tax Farnham has proposed. If 1/4 goes to JB and 1/4 quarter is split between the cities, and as long as JB keeps his current level of funding along with the city police departments, then I would support that.
I would not want it to be a replacement tax, that then in reality just gives the cities more money, and not the police departments.

Offline justwannahelp

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2007, 01:00:58 PM »
From what I understand the le tax past overwhelmingly in Richland.  I haven't actually seen the total but I did hear that of coarse you can't always believe what you hear.  That 1/4 cent sounds good rick that way the county gets a little money freed up for other places and the sheriffs department will seemingly almost double their money.

COWBOY

« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2007, 02:42:25 PM »
I think rick said 1/4 + 1/4 which equals 1/2--- that was the farnham proposal.   

Offline Lepard LLC

• Activist
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2007, 03:15:08 PM »
He may have been refering to my proposal.

I think rick said 1/4 + 1/4 which equals 1/2--- that was the farnham proposal.  

Offline Lepard LLC

• Activist
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2007, 03:16:16 PM »
Yes it did pass. They have plans to roll it back if a county wide tax passes that includes cities.

From what I understand the le tax past overwhelmingly in Richland.  I haven't actually seen the total but I did hear that of coarse you can't always believe what you hear.  That 1/4 cent sounds good rick that way the county gets a little money freed up for other places and the sheriffs department will seemingly almost double their money.

Offline justwannahelp

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2007, 05:06:08 PM »
I just think that it would be stupid at least not to try it on their part, they would be the commisioners that finally did something that helped the county with their money problems.  It would give them more money and help protect the citizens of this county.