Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • littlebit: Makes sense.
    July 16, 2017, 04:40:28 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Boards will stay open for a place people can find history information longer. I am not allowing anyone to sign up for now because of so many foreginers just wanting to promote their business..
    December 10, 2016, 05:10:27 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Not sure why didn't look, I may be shutting down these message boards..
    November 17, 2016, 12:42:43 AM
  • ~kathy~: rick why is the timestamp showing up a day in advance?
    September 13, 2016, 12:27:46 AM
  • Valor7: What I tried to say is that the actual money would not be there that quick. But a loan against that would work if they are willing to do that.
    August 08, 2016, 01:51:51 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Why so long before it comes online? 911 took out a loan or bond with the known guarantee payment and began building..
    August 08, 2016, 07:46:34 AM
  • Valor7: Actually no it is not, a dependable Revenue stream will not come on line until the 4th quarter of 2017 so 2018 budget will be up in the air, not quite sure what they will have. By 2019 budget all will be well.
    August 04, 2016, 09:27:17 PM
  • Valor7: You mean that tax that the Commissioners would not put on the ballot for so many years? Strange things happened when the citizens got a chance to vote on that issue.
    August 03, 2016, 06:43:06 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Back up is now available withe the new tax..
    August 03, 2016, 05:01:35 PM
  • Valor7: Thanks a lot Ladies!!
    July 29, 2016, 01:16:13 PM
  • littlebit: ((*(*&
    July 27, 2016, 03:47:52 PM
  • ~kathy~: lol
    July 15, 2016, 09:34:56 AM
  • Valor7: A guy could get killed around here while waiting for backup!
    July 13, 2016, 07:31:58 PM
  • Lepard LLC: You are not alone..
    July 13, 2016, 07:28:53 PM
  • Valor7: I just hate it when I talk to myself!!!!
    July 08, 2016, 12:54:09 PM
  • Valor7: I could have worded that better, we talked details, options, the pros and cons of each, in  order to arrive at the best ballot language to present to the voters. Hope that makes this clearer.
    April 15, 2016, 06:36:14 PM
  • Valor7: sorry about the typos still working with just one arm in action
    April 13, 2016, 01:10:42 PM
  • Valor7: Yes and no. We talked details and options until we were blue in the face but I never heardbring it over, it was always the time was not right for the issue to pass. Glad to see the time in now right and I for one shall vote yes on the ballot. I would urge all others to do the sameour county is busting at the seams crimewise and no matter how many bad guys we send off there always seems to someone to replace them. The Sheriff's Office needs the help.
    April 13, 2016, 01:08:35 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Is that true Valor? Did he ask you what you wanted?
    March 01, 2016, 04:55:37 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Gene Newkirk Rick I have waited for a Sheriff to bring it to me on what he wanted. I have pushed Mr long for a while to get it to me. He told me he was close to having or done. Now hopefully the people will get to decide on it. I spoke with Steve about this a few times.
    March 01, 2016, 04:54:54 AM
  • Kimberly: Wow- I have a new name..........
    February 23, 2016, 10:25:15 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Works on mine, improvements are being done here. I may kick back into her a lot and post but working on different technologies right now. Seeing how things interact.
    January 18, 2016, 09:01:20 AM
  • Valor7: Yes it is working. If you need a laugh the wife showed me how to correctly use the silly thing.
    January 04, 2016, 05:32:59 PM
  • Valor7: Think so, mine is trying to work but it is now user and password protected and I dont know mine
    December 17, 2015, 01:32:16 PM
  • "DJ": Is there still a working android app for the PCSD
    December 14, 2015, 08:14:53 PM

Author Topic: TAXES FOR LAW ENFORCMENT  (Read 105823 times)

Offline crazy horse

• View Profile
Re: TAXES FOR LAW ENFORCMENT
« Reply #270 on: April 14, 2008, 01:10:51 AM »

Share/Bookmark

Fort Wood Hotel

Boards

Devils Elbow

Attractions

Sports

St. Robert

Waynesville

PC Daily

Dixon

Menu Guide

Fun Links

Homework

Crocker

Fort Wood

Swedeborg

Big Piney

Laquey

Classifieds

Restaurants

Richland

Fort  Hotels

I don't think so conservative democrat. That would be virtually impossible to do. It would easily be caught by audits and/or others in the system. No, it would have to be a legal TIFF situation. I know for a fact Dennis wouldn't do that, nor Bill Ransdall (if you are indicating non-legal TIFF). But, I am not sure what you are meaning, so pardon me if I am misunderstanding you.

Offline Elvis 11

• View Profile
« Reply #271 on: April 14, 2008, 02:44:19 AM »
It is my understanding that tax increment financing or TIF plan is an arrangement that government entity's use to generate property tax dollars for economic development in specific areas or zones. A TIf allows all new property tax dollars generated or a portion of the tax dollars generated from a TIF zone to be given back to the developer of that zone for a number of years. A TIF plan  could be used as an incentive to help developers pay for things like land, buildings, parking lots that sort of thing to encourage growth in different areas. TIFS are completly legal. I was wondering if the county has entered in any of these that could cause the property tax revenues to be so low and everyones property taxes to be so much higher. I believe St. Robert and Waynesville both have TIF zones. Seems that with all the new development on St. Robert Blvd. and all the new housing areas in the county the tax revenues would be much higher than they are.
Let's go fishing!

Offline 02Tundra

• View Profile
« Reply #272 on: April 14, 2008, 02:01:03 PM »
But aren't property tax and sales tax handled completely different when it comes to TIFs?  I know that the County has to have a higher amount of property tax and personal property tax due to the number of new homes in the area.  One thing you must remember though is that active duty military personnel from other states do no pay personal property tax in MO, they are exempt, however, they still pay the property tax associated with the home.  From what I've seen over the years is that the schools get almost all of this tax (i.e. $490 personal property tax, $375 went to school) and I know the property tax bill is pretty close to this break down as well.

Offline cowboy

• View Profile
« Reply #273 on: April 14, 2008, 02:19:32 PM »
CD WHAT IS IT YOU THINK IS GOING ON WITH PROPERTY TAXES AND WHATS YOUR POINT.   YOU SHOULD REMEMBER THERE WAS A REASSESSMENT LAST YEAR AND PROPERTY TAXES WENT TO A NEW HIGH.  IN FACT IF YOU RECALL THEY WENT TO THE NEXT LEVEL THAT TRIGGERED THE RAISE IN SALARIES FOR ELECTED OFFICIALS DURING THEIR NEXT TERM.   02T IS CORRECT THE SCHOOLS GET MOST OF THE MONEY PLUS LIBRARY SENIOR CITIZENS ETC.   IT THEY DOUBLED THE SHERIFF WOULDN'T GET ANY MORE MONEY IT COMES FROM THE SALES TAX REVENUE.   IF YOU LISTEN TO THE NEWS YOU MIGHT HAVE HEARD PEOPLE ARE NOT SPENDING AS MUCH MONEY NOW AS THEY DID PLUS WE HAVE TROOP DEPLOYMENTS SO THE REVENUE BASE IS GETTING SMALLER

Offline Lepard LLC

• Activist
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: April 14, 2008, 03:29:33 PM »
What I don't get is why isn't everyone isn't outraged that their assesed value went up at a time when we all know our property values have dropped?

YOU SHOULD REMEMBER THERE WAS A REASSESSMENT LAST YEAR AND PROPERTY TAXES WENT TO A NEW HIGH. 

Offline murfyzlaw

• My beautiful grandsons
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: April 14, 2008, 04:12:09 PM »
Good point Rick !!  I live in the county and mine went up about 80%.
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Remember that no matter how bad things are in your life, there are others dealing with much worse obstacles, and be thankful for what you have.

Offline Elvis 11

• View Profile
« Reply #276 on: April 14, 2008, 11:47:01 PM »
One would think that with Wal-Mart and Lowes, Millers Grill and all the new hotels and housing areas in the county, even with reassessment, county tax revenues should have gone higher. A TIF deal is not going to show on the books until it expires, only those who make them know what they are.  I don't think any thing illegal went on if there are any. Ethically if anything they should be revealed to the tax payer so they know why the revenues are down, and why the sheriff has to scrape for any pittance of money he can get.  I wonder if they have any in place,  Just my thoughts.
Let's go fishing!

Offline cowboy

• View Profile
« Reply #277 on: April 15, 2008, 12:16:10 AM »
Property tax revenues are not down.   The sheriffs money comes from SALES TAX REVENUES not property tax. Why is this so hard to understand??????

Offline ♥♣ ~Maynard~♣♥

• GOING GREEN: Save a tree,eat a beaver.
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: April 15, 2008, 12:24:46 AM »
One would think that with Wal-Mart and Lowes, Millers Grill and all the new hotels and housing areas in the county, even with reassessment, county tax revenues should have gone higher. A TIF deal is not going to show on the books until it expires, only those who make them know what they are.  I don't think any thing illegal went on if there are any. Ethically if anything they should be revealed to the tax payer so they know why the revenues are down, and why the sheriff has to scrape for any pittance of money he can get.  I wonder if they have any in place,  Just my thoughts.

Remember I'm a nudist so when you respond to one of my post yor talking to a naked man  :)

For entertainment purposes only. Any resemblance to real persons living or dead is purely coincidental.

Offline crazy horse

• View Profile
« Reply #279 on: April 15, 2008, 04:01:33 AM »
Cowboy is correct. The sheriff gets a budget from the county, which is a sales tax. The Road & Bridge has its own Property tax, which was voted in by the people years ago. Currently, everyone's sales tax is low because of the economy.

Elvis, the entire county system is scrapping for money; not just the sheriff. His budget was established early in the year during the budget process.

Offline 02Tundra

• View Profile
« Reply #280 on: April 15, 2008, 01:39:55 PM »
I've mentioned this a few times now and have never heard anything to answer the question.  Crazy Horse could you possible weigh in on this question, believe you might know how this is figured?  We know the schools get a large percent of our property and personal property tax, correct.  What percentage does the school get on these two taxes, do you know?  Why couldn't a review be initiated to see if the schools really need the amount of money they currently receive from these two tax sources?  Remember the schools also receive money from other sources as well.  If it is found that the schools don't need as large of a slice of these tax dollars, why couldn't some be diverted to other government agencies like LE?  I'm not privy to how this is handled, but it makes sense that if one segment is running a surplus (And I'm not saying the schools are, but who knows) do the paperwork to move funds to other segments that are hurting.   

Offline Lepard LLC

• Activist
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: April 15, 2008, 01:51:19 PM »
I hear they are going to build another school. They can't be doing too bad.

Offline Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #282 on: April 15, 2008, 04:25:33 PM »
I hear they are going to build another school. They can't be doing too bad.

Look at how Waynesville HS got built. Do I need to say more. It sure was not voted for.
If your going to be dumb, you better be tough!

Offline soso

• View Profile
« Reply #283 on: April 15, 2008, 04:44:39 PM »
Look at how Waynesville HS got built. Do I need to say more. It sure was not voted for.

I'm really glad to hear that I'm not the only one that has a bad taste for the new HS
"Life should NOT be a  journey to the grave with the  intention of arriving  safely in  an attractive and well preserved body, but  rather to skid in   sideways, chocolate in one hand, body thoroughly  used up, totally worn  out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
Author Unknown

Offline ♥♣ ~Maynard~♣♥

• View Profile
« Reply #284 on: April 15, 2008, 04:48:39 PM »
I'm really glad to hear that I'm not the only one that has a bad taste for the new HS
Does the 3 second rule apply here? :)
Remember I'm a nudist so when you respond to one of my post yor talking to a naked man  :)

For entertainment purposes only. Any resemblance to real persons living or dead is purely coincidental.

Offline soso

• View Profile
« Reply #285 on: April 15, 2008, 05:21:25 PM »
Does the 3 second rule apply here? :)

LOL
"Life should NOT be a  journey to the grave with the  intention of arriving  safely in  an attractive and well preserved body, but  rather to skid in   sideways, chocolate in one hand, body thoroughly  used up, totally worn  out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
Author Unknown

Offline matrsnot

• View Profile
« Reply #286 on: April 15, 2008, 05:30:02 PM »
But they can't afford books for all the students.

Offline soso

• View Profile
« Reply #287 on: April 15, 2008, 05:34:09 PM »
But they can't afford books for all the students.

But they have a new football field. ^^^%%%
Author Unknown

Offline crazy horse

• View Profile
« Reply #288 on: April 15, 2008, 06:02:57 PM »
O2tundra, these are state legislation issues. The school or other entities pass certain tax levies as per state statute. I will use the old ambulance district levy (which is no longer in effect as we went to a sales tax) because it is the one I know the most about. Back in 1987 when the ambulance district was formed by the people, the state law allowed a levy of up to .30 of the 100 dollar evaluation. The district could never go above that .30 evaluation. They can go lower, but not higher without voter approval. The school district's levies are much higher as allowed by Missouri law. It was passed by the people years ago, then various changes over time by statute.
There is no mechanism in place in Missouri law to take money from one political subdivision and redistribute to other organizations. It would be illegal and illogical. Where would it stop? As for redistribution to the sheriff's dept., the dept. is not a political subdivision, it is a county dept. funded through general county revenue. Dave feel free to jump in, but as far as I know and lawyers I have asked know, there is no mechanism to do this. The people establish library, ambulance, fire district, school, roads and so forth tax levies by vote and strict Missouri law. These levies cannot be redistribed to other areas. For example, when I was a commissioner someone would say: why don't you take Road and Bridge money, or the Courthouse Building money and suplement the sheriff's budget? To have done so would have been an illegal act. This is how our government is established.

Offline ~kathy~

• View Profile
« Reply #289 on: April 15, 2008, 06:09:25 PM »
For example, when I was a commissioner someone would say: why don't you take Road and Bridge money, or the Courthouse Building money and suplement the sheriff's budget? To have done so would have been an illegal act. This is how our government is established.

true so very very true
Go ahead and blame me....Everyone else does

Offline 02Tundra

• View Profile
« Reply #290 on: April 15, 2008, 08:16:57 PM »
Crazyhorse:  Thanks for the update.  It makes sense, but I just didn't know how it worked.

soso:  No your not the only one that has a bad taste in your mouth.  Then you have the BS about the road going into the new HS, which really burnt me, because from what I've seen, it was done that way to save the school district money.  Problem is that funds that could have been used elsewhere are now being used to divert the road.  I agree that the road, as it currently runs is unsafe and should be diverted.  I feel that fact should have been address when they first started planning for the school, not after the fact.

Offline Elvis 11

• View Profile
« Reply #291 on: April 16, 2008, 01:31:01 AM »
The schools also get federal impact funds for every child associated with the military. I wonder how much impact aid the Waynesville district gets.  Add up the other school districts impact aid and we are talking some big bucks. I still think that Pulaski County should receive impact aid for the lack of property tax funds from the land on Fort Leonard Wood, to be used as a discretionary fund for the county, the sheriff dept. for example. Counties in Maryland, Nevada, Colorado and California have all asked their congressional representatives to support an endeavor like that. Long term fix, I know. I am not Fort Leonard Wood, veteran or soldier bashing either, so don't start down that trail. Just throwing out an opinion as I have done some research on impact aid sought by counties in other states. Do I think Ike will be for it, probably not. But other congressional representatives are. 
Let's go fishing!

Offline Eeyore

• "Never leave your partner behind"
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: April 16, 2008, 01:40:16 AM »
     I would think that giving impact aid to Pulaski county for the lack of property tax funds would be difficult for one main reason --- the folks living on Fort Leonard Wood are basically renters or boarders --- renters living off post, be they military, college students, or just people who can't/don't want to buy are also renters and renters do not pay property taxes.
The schools also get federal impact funds for every child associated with the military. I wonder how much impact aid the Waynesville district gets.  Add up the other school districts impact aid and we are talking some big bucks. I still think that Pulaski County should receive impact aid for the lack of property tax funds from the land on Fort Leonard Wood, to be used as a discretionary fund for the county, the sheriff dept. for example. Counties in Maryland, Nevada, Colorado and California have all asked their congressional representatives to support an endeavor like that. Long term fix, I know. I am not Fort Leonard Wood, veteran or soldier bashing either, so don't start down that trail. Just throwing out an opinion as I have done some research on impact aid sought by counties in other states. Do I think Ike will be for it, probably not. But other congressional representatives are. 
    "Hey, hey, hey, hey now.  Don't be mean.  We don't have to be mean. because, remember, no matter where you go, there you are."      - The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai across The Eighth Dimension

Offline Elvis 11

• View Profile
« Reply #293 on: April 16, 2008, 02:06:43 AM »
Please understand that I am not talking about the good folks that live on post paying property tax here, many of them pay property tax in the state where they call their real home because they own real estate there.  I do understand that the good people that live on post are not land owners and I have no problem with them only paying sales tax when they come off post to buy things. I have been a renter most of my life and I have not paid a dime in real property tax to the county, personal property tax, YES a bunch. I feel that as the land owner, the federal government should pay impact funds to county governments that dont receive money for the thousands of acres out there. Just an opinion of a life long county resident, and again I am not bashing the military men and women on or off post who dont pay real estate tax. I guess I better clarify that I am also not federal government bashing either. I know that without the post or the people on it we would all be somewhere else, writing on a county blog. 
Let's go fishing!

Offline Lepard LLC

• Activist
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: April 16, 2008, 02:24:26 AM »
When you change your name on a post, it changes that name to all the posts you have made.. I am somewhat concerned you might not be the man for the job from what I read here. You pay no property tax? You talk about yourself in the third person? I have figured out by looking at all your old posts who you are now, so can many others as it has been pointed out to me.. The INTERNET community is not naive..

Please understand that I am not talking about the good folks that live on post paying property tax here, many of them pay property tax in the state where they call their real home because they own real estate there.  I do understand that the good people that live on post are not land owners and I have no problem with them only paying sales tax when they come off post to buy things. I have been a renter most of my life and I have not paid a dime in real property tax to the county, personal property tax, YES a bunch. I feel that as the land owner, the federal government should pay impact funds to county governments that dont receive money for the thousands of acres out there. Just an opinion of a life long county resident, and again I am not bashing the military men and women on or off post who dont pay real estate tax. I guess I better clarify that I am also not federal government bashing either. I know that without the post or the people on it we would all be somewhere else, writing on a county blog. 

Offline Auctioneer Ed

• View Profile
« Reply #295 on: April 16, 2008, 02:44:05 AM »
What I don't get is why isn't everyone isn't outraged that their assesed value went up at a time when we all know our property values have dropped?

Why do you think I opted to take a run for the position of assessor? Values are what they are! not what we would like for them to be. They should be fair and equitable across the county. I suspect some disparity in similar properties' valuations.

Like I said before, property taxes suck! But they should suck equally for everybody.

But that won't help the Sheriff's Office. That's the sales tax thing as others have pointed out.

Offline Elvis 11

• View Profile
« Reply #296 on: April 16, 2008, 03:20:37 AM »
I know the name changes Rick, I watch what I post. I notice others have different names and I was exploring that option. I received a message with an elvis character after I had switched my name and I switched again to ask them how I can use it. I didnt ask for, nor do I want or need your endorsement. As far as the job I am a candidate because I know I can do better than what we have now, and I am qualified for the job, I would have already dropped out if I thought I wont do a better job than those who are also running. As far as paying taxes, I have paid personal property tax since I was 17 years old. Just for your information, as I have stated many times I live on my brothers farm. I live in a mobile home that I am paying for, so I don't pay real estate tax, my brother does. I am not a rich man like many of you, I have to make my signs for the job. It does not disqualify me from the job because I do not own real estate, so what difference does that make. I got on this site because I was asked to come on. I thought that is what you all wanted, candidates and the current seated office holders on the site to get their opinions. I liked what I saw on here so I have been reading to gather information and get ideas. What other purpose is the site suppose to have, other than getting information and giving opinions. I have received a lot of information about the law enforcement tax and I support a form of the tax because of what I have learned here. I have never suggested that any one is naive or that any one cant figure out who I am. My web site is on the bottom of this response and has been for a while. Maybe you should only be inviting people to the blog that feel the same as you. Maybe every time someone writes something they should say all the names they are capable of writing something under so we all know who they are.   
Let's go fishing!

Offline Elvis 11

• View Profile
« Reply #297 on: April 16, 2008, 03:22:09 AM »
What happened to the be nice rule on here, maybe the site administrator should practice what is preached.
Let's go fishing!

Offline ♥♣ ~Maynard~♣♥

• View Profile
« Reply #298 on: April 16, 2008, 03:34:34 AM »
What happened to the be nice rule on here, maybe the site administrator should practice what is preached.
I thought he was very nice in his responce....
 Damn you should see what he's like when he pissed &^&&( :gak:

Offline ~kathy~

• View Profile
« Reply #299 on: April 16, 2008, 03:54:14 AM »
yes teddy was asked to come on here, i was the one who asked him. none of the commissioners that are in office right now will get on here and post anything for the public because they really dont care what the people want. the only commissioner i have ever respected was gary because he was willing to post answers on things we wanted to know about. and that is why i respect teddy because he is willing to do the same. i have known him for 33 years now and he would do a great job.
Go ahead and blame me....Everyone else does