Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • littlebit: Makes sense.
    July 16, 2017, 04:40:28 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Boards will stay open for a place people can find history information longer. I am not allowing anyone to sign up for now because of so many foreginers just wanting to promote their business..
    December 10, 2016, 05:10:27 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Not sure why didn't look, I may be shutting down these message boards..
    November 17, 2016, 12:42:43 AM
  • ~kathy~: rick why is the timestamp showing up a day in advance?
    September 13, 2016, 12:27:46 AM
  • Valor7: What I tried to say is that the actual money would not be there that quick. But a loan against that would work if they are willing to do that.
    August 08, 2016, 01:51:51 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Why so long before it comes online? 911 took out a loan or bond with the known guarantee payment and began building..
    August 08, 2016, 07:46:34 AM
  • Valor7: Actually no it is not, a dependable Revenue stream will not come on line until the 4th quarter of 2017 so 2018 budget will be up in the air, not quite sure what they will have. By 2019 budget all will be well.
    August 04, 2016, 09:27:17 PM
  • Valor7: You mean that tax that the Commissioners would not put on the ballot for so many years? Strange things happened when the citizens got a chance to vote on that issue.
    August 03, 2016, 06:43:06 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Back up is now available withe the new tax..
    August 03, 2016, 05:01:35 PM
  • Valor7: Thanks a lot Ladies!!
    July 29, 2016, 01:16:13 PM
  • littlebit: ((*(*&
    July 27, 2016, 03:47:52 PM
  • ~kathy~: lol
    July 15, 2016, 09:34:56 AM
  • Valor7: A guy could get killed around here while waiting for backup!
    July 13, 2016, 07:31:58 PM
  • Lepard LLC: You are not alone..
    July 13, 2016, 07:28:53 PM
  • Valor7: I just hate it when I talk to myself!!!!
    July 08, 2016, 12:54:09 PM
  • Valor7: I could have worded that better, we talked details, options, the pros and cons of each, in  order to arrive at the best ballot language to present to the voters. Hope that makes this clearer.
    April 15, 2016, 06:36:14 PM
  • Valor7: sorry about the typos still working with just one arm in action
    April 13, 2016, 01:10:42 PM
  • Valor7: Yes and no. We talked details and options until we were blue in the face but I never heardbring it over, it was always the time was not right for the issue to pass. Glad to see the time in now right and I for one shall vote yes on the ballot. I would urge all others to do the sameour county is busting at the seams crimewise and no matter how many bad guys we send off there always seems to someone to replace them. The Sheriff's Office needs the help.
    April 13, 2016, 01:08:35 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Is that true Valor? Did he ask you what you wanted?
    March 01, 2016, 04:55:37 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Gene Newkirk Rick I have waited for a Sheriff to bring it to me on what he wanted. I have pushed Mr long for a while to get it to me. He told me he was close to having or done. Now hopefully the people will get to decide on it. I spoke with Steve about this a few times.
    March 01, 2016, 04:54:54 AM
  • Kimberly: Wow- I have a new name..........
    February 23, 2016, 10:25:15 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Works on mine, improvements are being done here. I may kick back into her a lot and post but working on different technologies right now. Seeing how things interact.
    January 18, 2016, 09:01:20 AM
  • Valor7: Yes it is working. If you need a laugh the wife showed me how to correctly use the silly thing.
    January 04, 2016, 05:32:59 PM
  • Valor7: Think so, mine is trying to work but it is now user and password protected and I dont know mine
    December 17, 2015, 01:32:16 PM
  • "DJ": Is there still a working android app for the PCSD
    December 14, 2015, 08:14:53 PM

Author Topic: TAXES FOR LAW ENFORCMENT  (Read 106044 times)

Offline FedUp

• View Profile
Re: TAXES FOR LAW ENFORCMENT
« Reply #390 on: May 25, 2008, 11:36:49 AM »

Share/Bookmark

Offline Valor7

• View Profile
« Reply #391 on: May 25, 2008, 01:01:41 PM »
Thanks JB looking forward to it.

The one on the inmate per diem was in the DG a few weeks ago but I failed to save that article.
JB

Offline cowboy

• View Profile
« Reply #392 on: May 25, 2008, 04:15:18 PM »
If I remember correctly they recommended an increase in the amount of $0.25 per day per inmate. So it would go from $21.25 to $21.50? This increase, however, was not voted on. With the new on-line system at the DG they don't now carry all the same stories they did in the past but if you put "inmate cost" in the search box it will show you the article.

Offline FedUp

• View Profile
« Reply #393 on: May 26, 2008, 06:19:01 PM »
Thanks Cowboy I'll look it up. JB that's applies only to state inmates correct or is it for all? 

Offline Valor7

• View Profile
« Reply #394 on: May 27, 2008, 01:10:45 AM »
Only state charges. The County sentence inmates do not count. Right now we have about $63,000.00 in sentences being served by county inmates.
JB

Offline FedUp

• View Profile
« Reply #395 on: May 27, 2008, 02:25:18 PM »
Only state charges. The County sentence inmates do not count. Right now we have about $63,000.00 in sentences being served by county inmates.
JB

Thanks JB.  On average, about how many inmates at any given time are state inmates?  On average now, I know it changes hour to hour.  You had mentioned earlier that we had, at that time, 65 on the inmate list, about how many, approximately, of that 65 would be state prisoners?  Any federal?

Offline Valor7

• View Profile
« Reply #396 on: May 27, 2008, 11:41:20 PM »
The only time we house a Federal inmate is when he is sent here on a writ to appear on a state charge.

On the whole 95% of all our inmates or more are state charges. We had 77 people today. And 44 were housed away from here. We had been running about 65-66 per day until the great raid. Not sure where we will settle down now. Of the 65 all but maybe one or two would be state.

You do the math 44 inmtes X $35.00 per day X whatever number of days you chose.

JB

Offline FedUp

• View Profile
« Reply #397 on: May 28, 2008, 12:54:40 AM »
The only time we house a Federal inmate is when he is sent here on a writ to appear on a state charge.

On the whole 95% of all our inmates or more are state charges. We had 77 people today. And 44 were housed away from here. We had been running about 65-66 per day until the great raid. Not sure where we will settle down now. Of the 65 all but maybe one or two would be state.

You do the math 44 inmtes X $35.00 per day X whatever number of days you chose.

JB
Thanks JB. If I can get my old rusty wheels turning I'll do the math.

Sheriff J. B. King

« Reply #398 on: May 29, 2008, 09:41:40 PM »
If I remember correctly they recommended an increase in the amount of $0.25 per day per inmate. So it would go from $21.25 to $21.50? This increase, however, was not voted on. With the new on-line system at the DG they don't now carry all the same stories they did in the past but if you put "inmate cost" in the search box it will show you the article.

OK, I talked to Sen. Barnetiz's secretary this morning and she said they raised it $0.75 per day up to $22.00 total.

JB

Offline 02Tundra

• View Profile
« Reply #399 on: May 30, 2008, 05:25:07 PM »
So, the County still has a $13.00 delta for each inmate, daily?

Sheriff J. B. King

« Reply #400 on: May 30, 2008, 06:02:30 PM »
So, the County still has a $13.00 delta for each inmate, daily?

For the ones housed away from here Yes. For the one's housed here I am not sure what the figure is we have never come up with a solid figure as to exactly what it costs us to house here.
The last attempt i made came out at about $25.00 per day from memory.
JB

Offline matrsnot

• View Profile
« Reply #401 on: May 30, 2008, 06:11:24 PM »
Up .75 a day huh?  Thank the Senate for the scrooge like amount.  The House did fine.  It was the Senate that put a hiatus in any respectable amount of monies to be reimbursed.  They make the law and then fail to fund it.

Sheriff J. B. King

« Reply #402 on: May 30, 2008, 06:14:15 PM »
Up .75 a day huh?  Thank the Senate for the scrooge like additon.  The House did fine.  It was the Senat that put a hiatus in any respectable amount of monies to be remibursed.  They make the law and then fail to fund it.

They are not alone. We have an ICE client in custody. Got him this AM and they will come get him Tues. next week we hope but we hold him in the meantime at $35.00 that they will not pay.
JB

Offline 02Tundra

• View Profile
« Reply #403 on: May 30, 2008, 07:49:20 PM »
I can see how we could use a new jail with prices like that.  I can also see why the other Counties with large new jails love to see one of our vehicles pulling into their jail parking lot.  They make a pretty good windfall off of housing other Counties prisoners don't they?

Offline Yankee Trader

• View Profile
« Reply #404 on: May 30, 2008, 08:21:34 PM »
02 You have hit the nail on the head!!

Offline pulaskiivoter

• View Profile
« Reply #405 on: May 30, 2008, 10:33:38 PM »
This has probably been asked before but I don't understand why the Ambulance district money and the 911 board money can't be reallocated for all emergency services Fire, ems, 911 and law enforcement.  I am not stirring the pot, but I can't seem to grasp this.

Offline FedUp

• View Profile
« Reply #406 on: May 30, 2008, 11:56:56 PM »
02 You have hit the nail on the head!!

OK, how much will it cost to build a new jail, get new cars, have a county SWAT team, increase better pay for the deputies and add more deputies?

Offline Valor7

• View Profile
« Reply #407 on: May 31, 2008, 02:01:05 AM »

OK, how much will it cost to build a new jail, get new cars, have a county SWAT team, increase better pay for the deputies and add more deputies?

By this time tomorrow the County SWAT team should be fully in business. We do the final tests tomorrow. As to the other it can be done with a one cent total additional sales tax. 1/2 cent to save the dept. and 1/2 cent to build and staff the jail. Provided the other necessary budget modifications are made such as jail money back from the state goes to the jail budget and not the general revenue fund. We would need to change from our current budget model to the one Phelps County uses. Jail would be done much faster with a one cent jail and 1/2 cent staff sales tax and sunset the jail tax at a reasonable time frame.

None of which is going to happen.

JB

Offline Yankee Trader

• View Profile
« Reply #408 on: May 31, 2008, 02:10:50 AM »
And other counties have done it successfully and run a profitable jail business thus benefiting their County.

Sheriff J. B. King

« Reply #409 on: May 31, 2008, 04:47:07 PM »
    By this time tomorrow the County SWAT team should be fully in business. We do the final tests tomorrow. As to the other it can be done with a one cent total additional sales tax. 1/2 cent to save the dept. and 1/2 cent to build and staff the jail. Provided the other necessary budget modifications are made such as jail money back from the state goes to the jail budget and not the general revenue fund. We would need to change from our current budget model to the one Phelps County uses. Jail would be done much faster with a one cent jail and 1/2 cent staff sales tax and sunset the jail tax at a reasonable time frame.

JB

I need to make sure that every one understands that when you are dealing with a $12 or so million dollar project and a staff of 30 or more people that the numbers get big real quick and they seem to go on forever. Any change in the requirements, specifications, etc. has an impact on the totals so in the above quote I am NOT citing specific numbers just ball park type numbers.

JB

Offline FedUp

• View Profile
« Reply #410 on: May 31, 2008, 06:46:02 PM »

I need to make sure that every one understands that when you are dealing with a $12 or so million dollar project and a staff of 30 or more people that the numbers get big real quick and they seem to go on forever. Any change in the requirements, specifications, etc. has an impact on the totals so in the above quote I am NOT citing specific numbers just ball park type numbers.

JB
JB what I was looking for was totals, for instance what is the total estimated amount for a new jail, total estimated amount for the new vehicles, total estimated amount for an increase in deputy pay, total estimated amount for more deputies, total estimated cost for the county SWAT team (isn't that an increase in personnel). 

Offline Valor7

• View Profile
« Reply #411 on: June 01, 2008, 03:36:09 PM »
JB what I was looking for was totals, for instance what is the total estimated amount for a new jail, total estimated amount for the new vehicles, total estimated amount for an increase in deputy pay, total estimated amount for more deputies, total estimated cost for the county SWAT team (isn't that an increase in personnel). 

SWAT on line and operational as of last night. No increase in manpower we used a combo of paid and reserve officers to man the team. We recieved several donations and used some of my fund money to equip them. I have abouut $2K more to fund for equipment.

As to the other figures, It would be a waste of my time to total those until I see some kind of actual movement toward a tax. Other factors have changed such as Deputy salary. The Missouri Sheriff's Association bill has passed and we wait for the Gov. to sign. That will in large part take care of the salary issues as to the raise but not any increase in manpower.

As to the vehicles we need to set up a revolving fund like the MSHP and fund our cars that way. It would not be the complete solution but many steps in the right direction.

But, I can go out on a limb. Roughly $15M for the jail. A staff and operate budget of about $1.8M per year for the jail. A total of $2.3M  a year for the dept. without the jail added and we would have a first class operation.

And yes I just did this off the top of my head so Yes the figures can be trimmed. But this would be ballpark.

JB

Offline cowboy

• View Profile
« Reply #412 on: June 01, 2008, 03:44:40 PM »

As to the other figures, It would be a waste of my time to total those until I see some kind of actual movement toward a tax.

We always did a 10 year plan (5 firm, 5 Forecast) before we ask for the money.   That way everyone knew what we needed, what it was for and the justification.

Offline FedUp

• View Profile
« Reply #413 on: June 05, 2008, 11:42:49 PM »
We always did a 10 year plan (5 firm, 5 Forecast) before we ask for the money.   That way everyone knew what we needed, what it was for and the justification.
Cowboy that's why I was asking for the estimated totals.  And I understand they are estimates.  JB my ole rusty wheels are slowly turning, will have a comment in a few days.

WET_VETTE

« Reply #414 on: August 08, 2008, 01:20:44 AM »
Ive been reading recent DG comments re: a wedding party gone wrong, a deputy and children, Im sure SOMEONE knows...was this deputy the only LE on scene?  (the answer will tie into this topic)

Offline ShowmeHillbilly

• Actions speak louder than words, U have 2 show me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: August 08, 2008, 01:27:08 AM »
You need to ask 3kittens about this... it was her wedding. and yes the officer did pull a gun on all of the ones there and made them get on the ground with their children there. (my understanding is he wanted to control the situation and this was his way of doing it) If you want to know the details then ask them personally. I wasnt there... only was told about what happened the next day and  i couldnt believe some of the people he did it too and especially over the situation. To me it was uncalled for IMHO. They were all humiliated let alone mad.

Ive been reading recent DG comments re: a wedding party gone wrong, a deputy and children, Im sure SOMEONE knows...was this deputy the only LE on scene?  (the answer will tie into this topic)
You never know how STRONG you are...until being strong is the ONLY choice you have.
Life Isnt about waiting for the storm to pass...Its about learning to dance in the rain.
Someday someone will walk into your life & make you realize why it never worked out with anyone else!

WET_VETTE

« Reply #416 on: August 08, 2008, 03:00:40 AM »
Well, I was  thinking..a good example to use for the cause to vote yes for a LE tax. I suppose you could think of it in several different ways.

1. Lack of manpower? Regardless of how the deputy ended up at the scene, whether hostile or not, 12 to 1 doesnt sound like a fair deal. Yes to a tax, yes to increased funds for more personnel.
2. Unqualified or not, the best person for the job?.  Yes to tax = yes to increased funds to entice highly trained, qualified personnel join the force and stay on, < turnover.
3. Stressed out, overworked = bad decision. Yes to tax = more manpower again, < the "spread to thin force".

Obviously I dont know the details. But just looking in on the situation, it scares me. Hopefully the children involved will not keep for long an ill impression of LE.  Unfortunately, people have to do the best the can with what they have (resources, information, ect). And fortunately, it wasnt my family, because I cant imagine how that would have played out.  Just a thought.

Vote yes, if our almighty rulers ever give us the opportunity.

Offline Yankee Trader

• View Profile
« Reply #417 on: August 08, 2008, 03:11:04 AM »
When did this happen?

Offline ShowmeHillbilly

• Actions speak louder than words, U have 2 show me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: August 08, 2008, 09:25:44 PM »
you would have to ask 3 kittens I cant remember what day she got married but it wasnt that long ago.

I know if it was me I wouldnt be letting it go. But thats me. I dont cause any trouble and have never been in trouble with the law and I be danged if I had a gun pulled on me especially in front of my children!

Some of them were even hand cuffed for no reason except they were pretty big sized people and they had never been in trouble with the law EVER.

When did this happen?
You never know how STRONG you are...until being strong is the ONLY choice you have.
Life Isnt about waiting for the storm to pass...Its about learning to dance in the rain.
Someday someone will walk into your life & make you realize why it never worked out with anyone else!

Offline matrsnot

• View Profile
« Reply #419 on: August 08, 2008, 10:41:53 PM »

JB
Sorry, I disagree with SWAT.  I have been reading way too many abuses by these teams.  Check out the one in Maryland where the police busted a Mayor (incorrectly) and shot both his dogs.  Check out the murder in Atlanta by police of a 90+ year old woman when they broke into her house and she defended herself.  Check out Ruby Ridge and Waco for abuses.  They can happen anywhere.  We are also subject to criminals dressing up in black and doing home invasions claiming to be police.  No knock warrants are a BIG no-no.  Everybody loses when this kind of raid is conducted.  Everybody.  And inevitably, someone or something is going to die.  Too often, the police are misled by a "confidential informant" who wants lighter sentence.  Too often innocent families are brutalized, cuffed and their property confiscated (read stolen).  Sorry if it seems I am not supporting LE, but I do not and have never supported SWAT or the no knock warrant approach to cowing citizens into absolute obedience.