Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • littlebit: Makes sense.
    July 16, 2017, 04:40:28 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Boards will stay open for a place people can find history information longer. I am not allowing anyone to sign up for now because of so many foreginers just wanting to promote their business..
    December 10, 2016, 05:10:27 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Not sure why didn't look, I may be shutting down these message boards..
    November 17, 2016, 12:42:43 AM
  • ~kathy~: rick why is the timestamp showing up a day in advance?
    September 13, 2016, 12:27:46 AM
  • Valor7: What I tried to say is that the actual money would not be there that quick. But a loan against that would work if they are willing to do that.
    August 08, 2016, 01:51:51 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Why so long before it comes online? 911 took out a loan or bond with the known guarantee payment and began building..
    August 08, 2016, 07:46:34 AM
  • Valor7: Actually no it is not, a dependable Revenue stream will not come on line until the 4th quarter of 2017 so 2018 budget will be up in the air, not quite sure what they will have. By 2019 budget all will be well.
    August 04, 2016, 09:27:17 PM
  • Valor7: You mean that tax that the Commissioners would not put on the ballot for so many years? Strange things happened when the citizens got a chance to vote on that issue.
    August 03, 2016, 06:43:06 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Back up is now available withe the new tax..
    August 03, 2016, 05:01:35 PM
  • Valor7: Thanks a lot Ladies!!
    July 29, 2016, 01:16:13 PM
  • littlebit: ((*(*&
    July 27, 2016, 03:47:52 PM
  • ~kathy~: lol
    July 15, 2016, 09:34:56 AM
  • Valor7: A guy could get killed around here while waiting for backup!
    July 13, 2016, 07:31:58 PM
  • Lepard LLC: You are not alone..
    July 13, 2016, 07:28:53 PM
  • Valor7: I just hate it when I talk to myself!!!!
    July 08, 2016, 12:54:09 PM
  • Valor7: I could have worded that better, we talked details, options, the pros and cons of each, in  order to arrive at the best ballot language to present to the voters. Hope that makes this clearer.
    April 15, 2016, 06:36:14 PM
  • Valor7: sorry about the typos still working with just one arm in action
    April 13, 2016, 01:10:42 PM
  • Valor7: Yes and no. We talked details and options until we were blue in the face but I never heardbring it over, it was always the time was not right for the issue to pass. Glad to see the time in now right and I for one shall vote yes on the ballot. I would urge all others to do the sameour county is busting at the seams crimewise and no matter how many bad guys we send off there always seems to someone to replace them. The Sheriff's Office needs the help.
    April 13, 2016, 01:08:35 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Is that true Valor? Did he ask you what you wanted?
    March 01, 2016, 04:55:37 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Gene Newkirk Rick I have waited for a Sheriff to bring it to me on what he wanted. I have pushed Mr long for a while to get it to me. He told me he was close to having or done. Now hopefully the people will get to decide on it. I spoke with Steve about this a few times.
    March 01, 2016, 04:54:54 AM
  • Kimberly: Wow- I have a new name..........
    February 23, 2016, 10:25:15 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Works on mine, improvements are being done here. I may kick back into her a lot and post but working on different technologies right now. Seeing how things interact.
    January 18, 2016, 09:01:20 AM
  • Valor7: Yes it is working. If you need a laugh the wife showed me how to correctly use the silly thing.
    January 04, 2016, 05:32:59 PM
  • Valor7: Think so, mine is trying to work but it is now user and password protected and I dont know mine
    December 17, 2015, 01:32:16 PM
  • "DJ": Is there still a working android app for the PCSD
    December 14, 2015, 08:14:53 PM

Author Topic: TAXES FOR LAW ENFORCMENT  (Read 105720 times)

Offline I bleed cubbie blue

• View Profile
Re: TAXES FOR LAW ENFORCMENT
« Reply #420 on: August 08, 2008, 11:38:13 PM »

Share/Bookmark

Fort Wood Hotel

Boards

Devils Elbow

Attractions

Sports

St. Robert

Waynesville

PC Daily

Dixon

Menu Guide

Fun Links

Homework

Crocker

Fort Wood

Swedeborg

Big Piney

Laquey

Classifieds

Restaurants

Richland

Fort  Hotels

Sorry, I disagree with SWAT.  I have been reading way too many abuses by these teams.  Check out the one in Maryland where the police busted a Mayor (incorrectly) and shot both his dogs.  Check out the murder in Atlanta by police of a 90+ year old woman when they broke into her house and she defended herself.  Check out Ruby Ridge and Waco for abuses.  They can happen anywhere.  We are also subject to criminals dressing up in black and doing home invasions claiming to be police.  No knock warrants are a BIG no-no.  Everybody loses when this kind of raid is conducted.  Everybody.  And inevitably, someone or something is going to die.  Too often, the police are misled by a "confidential informant" who wants lighter sentence.  Too often innocent families are brutalized, cuffed and their property confiscated (read stolen).  Sorry if it seems I am not supporting LE, but I do not and have never supported SWAT or the no knock warrant approach to cowing citizens into absolute obedience.

I have to somewhat disagree with you. I do support SWAT teams. These men and women are specially trained personnel, who respond to situations to which you cant send most normal officers to. SWAT teams dont just bust into homes and arrest people, most of the times, when i have seen SWAT or ERT respond they do everything they can possibly do to get the person they need to come back to them then they go to that person. Not every SWAT or ERT call out is for a warrant to be served, it is for a armed person who is barricaded, a hostage situation or a manhunt for a extremely dangerous felon. I do have to agree with you on the No knock warrant issue, I dont believe these should be allowed, unless under extreme extreme extreme circumstances, to which there is no way around not doing one. And i am 99% sure to get a No Knock warrant, the law enforcement department executing it,  has to have some strong proof that it is to be warranted.

But one more thought before people say that SWAT teams arent needed, lets say you are being held hostage, i know some people on this forum would say i wouldnt let the bastard take me hostage he would have been dead when he came at me with the gun, but in your opinion who would you rather have a highly trained force trying their damndest to get you out of their alive or a few patrolmen, not trained in anything remotely close to a hostage situation trying to get you out alive. I personnally would be praying for the 1st.

Matrsnot, i am not trying to offend you or say you are wrong, i am just saying my opinion.

Offline the3kittens

• View Profile
« Reply #421 on: August 09, 2008, 02:25:59 AM »
yes this was my wedding and it was june 14th: we
was at the laquey v.f.w if our dance and they thought that i had alcohol poision so they called 911 and i was taken to the hospital and the emt called the cops because she said that the groom was fighting with the groomsmen witch was not true they was teying to keep him calm and telling him that everything was going to be ok and that they need to get in the cars so that they could get to the hospital to me, well as they was all walking to their cars to go to the hospital this cop pulls in slams on his brakes because he went to far and backs up as fast as he can the jumps put with his gun already pulled told everyone to get on the ground theb he calls for back up there was 2 other pulaski county officers and 1 highway potrol, then they cuffed everyone they was trying to tell this cop that they was trying to get everyone in the car so that they could get to the hospital and he said that he didnt care and told them all to stay on the ground, and when he was told that there was kids in the car he said i dont care if there are kids in the car or not then went to the car pulled the father out of the car put him on the ground with a gun to his head and was stepping on his head that put a hole in his chin, then he started pointing the gun right at a 7year old and a5 year old if that gun would have went off it would have hit the 5 year old in the head and killed her!! then when the other cops got there and found out what was going on they  started helping people up off the ground and uncuffing them then when they found out that there was kids in the car the told the mother to go to her children they even said that it was wrong with what he did and they could not believe what he did... then the officer took the groom and 2 of the groomsmen to jail, but no one had to make bail or was booked, but this officer did not fill a report out till a week later, we then went in to talk to jb about what his officer did and this is what he said that he would look in to but that we had to understand that they are low pay and they cant get that good of officers that they have to get what they can. till this day we still have not got any answers.... this kids are scared of cops when the see one the scream because they think that its going to happen again the 5 year still has nightmares and in the nightmares the gun goes off and kills her daddy and her. if you was this girl mom and dad wouldnt you want something done????? and answers to why this officer acted the way he did and why JB failed to do anything to this officer??

Ive been reading recent DG comments re: a wedding party gone wrong, a deputy and children, Im sure SOMEONE knows...was this deputy the only LE on scene?  (the answer will tie into this topic)

Offline Probie

• View Profile
« Reply #422 on: August 09, 2008, 04:09:04 AM »
Yankee when you find the report to this, it would be very appreciative if you could get me a copy of it... I've been trying to get one for several weeks now...  I understand that the sheriff is busy with campaining and all so maybe you can get it to me faster.. I'm anxious to see what it says...

Thanks Probie

When did this happen?

Offline the3kittens

• View Profile
« Reply #423 on: August 09, 2008, 04:23:16 AM »
we are very anxious to see what it says too..

Yankee when you find the report to this, it would be very appreciative if you could get me a copy of it... I've been trying to get one for several weeks now...  I understand that the sheriff is busy with campaining and all so maybe you can get it to me faster.. I'm anxious to see what it says...

Thanks Probie

Offline matrsnot

• View Profile
« Reply #424 on: August 09, 2008, 10:23:53 AM »
I am not offended by a differing opinion.  But once you have a hammer, everything is a nail.  These teams are trained using military tactics.  Randy Weaver's wife was murdered by one of these teams.  His dog and son also.  I know about how the judges here feel about no knock warrants.  Still, mistakes can be and are made.  Nobody wins and everyone loses.  If a cop gets shot during one of these home invasions and oh by the way is at the wrong address, would you want to bet that the victim is not going to be charged?  Yet if the victim is shot, it is oh we are so sorry and would not have wanted this to happen and no charges at all against the offending officer or a mock trial to find them not guilty.  In other words, double standards.  Maybe SWAT is ok for some things, but I have seen what is happening across the nation and the increasing no knock warrants and the abuse of perceived power up to and including killing of innocent people. 

Read this:

wcco.com - I-TEAM: SWAT Team Honored For Raid On Wrong House

MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) ― On Monday, Minneapolis Police Chief Tim Dolan handed out honors to a team of officers involved in a botched raid at an innocent family's home more than seven months ago. The family is upset and their attorney criticizes the awards and questions the timing.

Just days before Christmas, the sound of intruders breaking into their home in North Minneapolis prompted Vang Khang to grab his shotgun to protect his six children. His terrified wife called 911.

Khang fired several shots at the "intruders" who turned out to be members of the Minneapolis Police Department's SWAT team. The officers returned fire. Their protective gear prevented them from being harmed by the bullets.

No one was hurt in the shootout last Dec. 16 and the Minneapolis Police Chief ordered an internal investigation. The house was left riddled with bullet holes and broken glass. Two days later, Dolan apologized to the family and launched an internal investigation to find out how the SWAT team wound up in an innocent family's house in the middle of the night.

The investigation determined that the team had gone there looking for a gang member's guns after an informant gave investigators in the department's Violent Offenders Task Force bad information. The investigation is ongoing.

On Monday, Dolan recognized members of the SWAT team for their bravery and how they handled the raid. With Mayor R.T. Rybak and other city officials looking on, the chief handed out medals and commendations.

"The easy decision would have been to retreat under covering fire. The team did not take the easy way out," Dolan told the crowd. "This is a perfect example of a situation that could have gone horribly wrong, but did not because of the professionalism with which it was handled."

The Khang family was upset when they learned of the awards given to the SWAT team.

"They were outraged and they were hurt. They were hurt. To this day this family continues to suffer," said their attorney, former U.S. Attorney Tom Heffelfinger.

Heffelfinger said the family has notified the city that they plan to file a lawsuit over the botched raid. He questions the timing and motives for the award.

"Why now are we seeing the police department honoring these men? In this context, I'm convinced this is an effort on the part of the police leadership to sanitize the conduct of their officers on December 16," he said.

"The officers put themselves in harm's way. They were shot at and shot and deserved to be recognized," said Dolan in a statement defending the awards to the SWAT team.

Dolan said an internal investigation conducted by his staff cleared the conduct of the SWAT officers who raided the Khang home.

More than seven months later, the internal review has not finished looking into how the officers and supervisors in the Violent Offenders' Task Force handled the investigative piece of the case which preceded the raid at the Khang home. So far, no one has been disciplined in connection with the mistaken raid.

Offline matrsnot

• View Profile
« Reply #425 on: August 17, 2008, 04:11:04 PM »
On another note, the LE tax as proposed by King Bill is not acceptable.  King Bill is just trying to look good. I will vote against this measure as he wants half of this tax to go to his E D. I am sure he could come up with some money in another area if he tried. Of course, then he won't be able to afford that $30K secretary will he? He can take his economic developer and put it where the sun don't shine. We need the LE tax in it's entirety at 1/4 to 1/2 percent. Actually, we don't have ANY input. Billy has already made his decision. We citizens paying his exhorbitant salary don't count in the equation.

Offline Lepard LLC

• Activist
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: August 17, 2008, 04:32:32 PM »
I agree we shouldn't have to hire someone to do the Commissioners jobs.

On another note, the LE tax as proposed by King Bill is not acceptable.  King Bill is just trying to look good. I will vote against this measure as he wants half of this tax to go to his E D. I am sure he could come up with some money in another area if he tried. Of course, then he won't be able to afford that $30K secretary will he? He can take his economic developer and put it where the sun don't shine. We need the LE tax in it's entirety at 1/4 to 1/2 percent. Actually, we don't have ANY input. Billy has already made his decision. We citizens paying his exhorbitant salary don't count in the equation.

Offline littlebit

• Cunning Linguist
  • Home is what you make it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: August 17, 2008, 04:37:43 PM »
On another note, the LE tax as proposed by King Bill is not acceptable.  King Bill is just trying to look good. I will vote against this measure as he wants half of this tax to go to his E D.

When I first read this, I thought why would we want to pay for his Erectile Dysfunction?

Then I read further and saw that you meant economic developer...
Some people are like Slinkies... Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

I'd give my left arm to be ambidextrous...

“The truth is, everyone is going to end up hurting you. You just have to find the ones who are worth suffering for.”

Offline matrsnot

• View Profile
« Reply #428 on: August 17, 2008, 05:15:17 PM »
Same thing in my opinion.

Offline cowboy

• View Profile
« Reply #429 on: August 17, 2008, 05:18:43 PM »
On another note, the LE tax as proposed by King Bill is not acceptable.

Where can I find this proposal?

Offline matrsnot

• View Profile
« Reply #430 on: August 17, 2008, 05:27:53 PM »
This has been talked about numerous times on this board.  Billy wants a 1/4% sales tax.  Half of which is to go to his economic developer and half to go to LE.  You might want to talk to Billy himself, if you can actually get him in a position to talk frankly.

Offline cowboy

• View Profile
« Reply #431 on: August 17, 2008, 05:35:12 PM »
So its just talk nothing to really vote on.

Offline ~kathy~

• View Profile
« Reply #432 on: August 17, 2008, 05:37:51 PM »
we need the LE tax for the LE, if they want something for something else let the commissioners take a cut in their pay and pay for other things themselves. they shouldn't be intitled to get use anything mean for the LE.
Go ahead and blame me....Everyone else does

Offline matrsnot

• View Profile
« Reply #433 on: August 17, 2008, 06:00:11 PM »
Bill made the proposal and it was in the paper I believe.  We have two more years of this guy.  He has demonstrated his self serving attitude aagain and again.  This is another of those attitudes from him.  He wants that economic developer in the worst way.  Maybe a position for him when he is routed out next election?  I don't know and don't care.  I just know I would like to see these as separate issues on the ballot.

Offline Law101

• Global Moderator
  • Big Piney Community Activist
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: August 18, 2008, 12:52:33 AM »
He needs to make it a separate ballot issue!

We need to set a day for everyone that can do so to go to the commissioners meeting to let him know how we feel about this.  It might be a good idea to start a petition and get as many signatures as possible to show the support for having it on the ballot as two separate issues.  It would not be binding on the Commissioners but it would at least show the support for our position.  I can type one up and print multiple copies and get them out to any of you that are will to get signatures on it.  Just call and let me know.  I can bring them to town on Tuesday.

The soonest I can get to a meeting would be next Monday as I have a commitment for this Thursday.  If any of you want to go with me on next Monday, please let me know and I will get us on the agenda.

Lois
417-458-1225

Offline oldcowpoke

• View Profile
« Reply #435 on: August 18, 2008, 01:28:19 AM »
Too little, too late. August 29 -- 9 business days from now -- is the deadline for approving the issue to be placed on the ballot. Time's a'wastin'. Even if you could make both meetings this week, there sure as hell isn't time to start circulating petitions.

We need to set a day for everyone that can do so to go to the commissioners meeting to let him know how we feel about this.  It might be a good idea to start a petition and get as many signatures as possible to show the support for having it on the ballot as two separate issues.  It would not be binding on the Commissioners but it would at least show the support for our position.  I can type one up and print multiple copies and get them out to any of you that are will to get signatures on it.  Just call and let me know.  I can bring them to town on Tuesday.

The soonest I can get to a meeting would be next Monday as I have a commitment for this Thursday.  If any of you want to go with me on next Monday, please let me know and I will get us on the agenda.

Lois
417-458-1225

Offline Law101

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: August 18, 2008, 01:39:01 AM »
I will be at the meeting tomorrow morning.  Don't know if they will let me speak if I am not on the agenda but I will try.  Anyone care to join me?

Offline ♥♣ ~Maynard~♣♥

• GOING GREEN: Save a tree,eat a beaver.
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: August 18, 2008, 01:46:50 AM »
I will be at the meeting tomorrow morning.  Don't know if they will let me speak if I am not on the agenda but I will try.  Anyone care to join me?

thumbs up
Remember I'm a nudist so when you respond to one of my post yor talking to a naked man  :)

For entertainment purposes only. Any resemblance to real persons living or dead is purely coincidental.

Offline okie the thread killer

• View Profile
« Reply #438 on: August 18, 2008, 06:04:30 PM »
Anybody go to commission? What happened?
I have it on good authority that the Hokey-Pokey really IS what it's all about.

Offline ♥♣ ~Maynard~♣♥

• GOING GREEN: Save a tree,eat a beaver.
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: August 18, 2008, 06:27:20 PM »
Anybody go to commission? What happened?
Me to.
  Lois where you and what happened?
Remember I'm a nudist so when you respond to one of my post yor talking to a naked man  :)

For entertainment purposes only. Any resemblance to real persons living or dead is purely coincidental.

Offline Law101

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: August 23, 2008, 03:35:56 PM »
I went to the meeting and shared my agenda time with two other concerned citizens who support the LE Tax. 

It will be on the ballot as 2 separate items but won't be on the ballot until the April election.  The reason for this is that Bill Farnham is the only one supporting a 1/2 cent LE Tax rather than the proposed 1/8 cent Tax.  Hopefully whoever is elected in Nov. will also support a 1/2 cent LE Tax.

I also learned that there will be major budget cuts for all depts. on the next budget.  The PCSD will probably lose 2 positions.

Please keep all this in mind when you mark your ballot in Nov.  and remember that the LE Tax will be paid not only by those of us who live and shop in Pulaski County but also those visitors who come to see there loved ones graduate from the Fort. 

Offline Yankee Trader

• View Profile
« Reply #441 on: August 23, 2008, 06:56:57 PM »
II also learned that there will be major budget cuts for all depts. on the next budget.  The PCSD will probably lose 2 positions.

I bet this means they will try to cut dispatch out completely again.  I am sure the boss will confirm.  Look out if they do.

Offline matrsnot

• View Profile
« Reply #442 on: August 23, 2008, 08:10:03 PM »
I can think of a position that needs to be and could be vacated without harming this county.  Three guesses and the first two dont count.