Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • littlebit: Makes sense.
    July 16, 2017, 04:40:28 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Boards will stay open for a place people can find history information longer. I am not allowing anyone to sign up for now because of so many foreginers just wanting to promote their business..
    December 10, 2016, 05:10:27 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Not sure why didn't look, I may be shutting down these message boards..
    November 17, 2016, 12:42:43 AM
  • ~kathy~: rick why is the timestamp showing up a day in advance?
    September 13, 2016, 12:27:46 AM
  • Valor7: What I tried to say is that the actual money would not be there that quick. But a loan against that would work if they are willing to do that.
    August 08, 2016, 01:51:51 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Why so long before it comes online? 911 took out a loan or bond with the known guarantee payment and began building..
    August 08, 2016, 07:46:34 AM
  • Valor7: Actually no it is not, a dependable Revenue stream will not come on line until the 4th quarter of 2017 so 2018 budget will be up in the air, not quite sure what they will have. By 2019 budget all will be well.
    August 04, 2016, 09:27:17 PM
  • Valor7: You mean that tax that the Commissioners would not put on the ballot for so many years? Strange things happened when the citizens got a chance to vote on that issue.
    August 03, 2016, 06:43:06 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Back up is now available withe the new tax..
    August 03, 2016, 05:01:35 PM
  • Valor7: Thanks a lot Ladies!!
    July 29, 2016, 01:16:13 PM
  • littlebit: ((*(*&
    July 27, 2016, 03:47:52 PM
  • ~kathy~: lol
    July 15, 2016, 09:34:56 AM
  • Valor7: A guy could get killed around here while waiting for backup!
    July 13, 2016, 07:31:58 PM
  • Lepard LLC: You are not alone..
    July 13, 2016, 07:28:53 PM
  • Valor7: I just hate it when I talk to myself!!!!
    July 08, 2016, 12:54:09 PM
  • Valor7: I could have worded that better, we talked details, options, the pros and cons of each, in  order to arrive at the best ballot language to present to the voters. Hope that makes this clearer.
    April 15, 2016, 06:36:14 PM
  • Valor7: sorry about the typos still working with just one arm in action
    April 13, 2016, 01:10:42 PM
  • Valor7: Yes and no. We talked details and options until we were blue in the face but I never heardbring it over, it was always the time was not right for the issue to pass. Glad to see the time in now right and I for one shall vote yes on the ballot. I would urge all others to do the sameour county is busting at the seams crimewise and no matter how many bad guys we send off there always seems to someone to replace them. The Sheriff's Office needs the help.
    April 13, 2016, 01:08:35 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Is that true Valor? Did he ask you what you wanted?
    March 01, 2016, 04:55:37 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Gene Newkirk Rick I have waited for a Sheriff to bring it to me on what he wanted. I have pushed Mr long for a while to get it to me. He told me he was close to having or done. Now hopefully the people will get to decide on it. I spoke with Steve about this a few times.
    March 01, 2016, 04:54:54 AM
  • Kimberly: Wow- I have a new name..........
    February 23, 2016, 10:25:15 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Works on mine, improvements are being done here. I may kick back into her a lot and post but working on different technologies right now. Seeing how things interact.
    January 18, 2016, 09:01:20 AM
  • Valor7: Yes it is working. If you need a laugh the wife showed me how to correctly use the silly thing.
    January 04, 2016, 05:32:59 PM
  • Valor7: Think so, mine is trying to work but it is now user and password protected and I dont know mine
    December 17, 2015, 01:32:16 PM
  • "DJ": Is there still a working android app for the PCSD
    December 14, 2015, 08:14:53 PM

Author Topic: TAXES FOR LAW ENFORCMENT  (Read 105918 times)

watson

Re: TAXES FOR LAW ENFORCMENT
« Reply #60 on: April 08, 2007, 01:47:15 AM »

Share/Bookmark

Fort Wood Hotel

Boards

Devils Elbow

Attractions

Sports

St. Robert

Waynesville

PC Daily

Dixon

Menu Guide

Fun Links

Homework

Crocker

Fort Wood

Swedeborg

Big Piney

Laquey

Classifieds

Restaurants

Richland

Fort  Hotels

watson, I'll try. To place the tax question on the ballot requires the county commission to do so. It takes two votes on the commission to accomplish this, and 3 would be better. Full support would be the best. Do you agree with me so far?

Yes that much I already know I am not stupid....continue

watson

« Reply #61 on: April 08, 2007, 01:50:23 AM »
Let me help you here, I worked for an attorney for 6 3/4 years does that help you now....

Offline Lepard LLC

• Activist
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 08, 2007, 01:53:14 AM »
Bottom line is the opponents to this tax have not identified them selves, with the exception of Ransdall and Thornsberry. I believe Ransdall has said the City of St. Robert opposes it. Keep up the pressure, the squeaky wheel gets the grease. I recall something about St. Robert saying it is their tax money collected in their city, but they forget it is we county residents shopping there.

Now that we see that there are few against it willing to speak up, then it seems it has more support than not. It's called a No Brainer..

watson

« Reply #63 on: April 08, 2007, 01:57:19 AM »
So then maybe someone needs to go business to business and find out exactly who is against this LE tax and who is not......but we still have to decide what kind of LE tax the commissioners would agree to first don't we......

watson

« Reply #64 on: April 08, 2007, 02:05:11 AM »
I mean I am all for going business to business and I would do it myself but I have to have something to go and talk to them with....1/2 1/4 1/4, or what....you see what I mean.....

Offline Lepard LLC

• Activist
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 08, 2007, 02:08:42 AM »
Believe this, Ransdall and Thornsberry are reading this message board. So are many others who aren't willing to share their views in an open forum. Kudos to those with the nerve, it's called true leaders..

watson

« Reply #66 on: April 08, 2007, 02:09:44 AM »
So did everyone leave me again....

watson

« Reply #68 on: April 08, 2007, 02:19:31 AM »
Believe this, Ransdall and Thornsberry are reading this message board. So are many others who aren't willing to share their views in an open forum. Kudos to those with the nerve, it's called true leaders..
{quote}

Well I guess I can understand that to a certain extent because there are too many back stabbers in this county......I also know there are too many good ole' boys in this county also.....that is what I want to find out....are they being pressured from other businesses that if you do this tax you are in trouble...are some of their friends threatening them with law suits....are they just plain chicken to face competition or what....I am not against the commissioners....not the ones now and not the ones from before.....but for any commissioner in this county to not even give this tax a chance or even try to get it on the table for a vote or try to find a cure for this county's problems that could help the people of this county I do not agree with...They are here to support the Pulaski County not individuals.....not individual businesses either.....if a few complain that is not the majority....surely they cannot be afraid of so few....can they....this is what I do not understand.....I have not seen anything in the paper that has stated or anything from any commissioner on this board or an interview that states they are trying to figure out a resolution to this problem....They know it is a problem....it has been a problem for quite some time and now that some of the people are getting interested in it now it is all of a sudden not a topic to discuss.....bull crap....I would be willing to go door to door in Pulaski County and ask every individual I could find to come to a commissioners meeting and discuss this LE tax rationally and find a solution to this problem...You know bashing the Sheriff Department does not do away with the problem....bashing the Commissioners does not do away with the problem but finding a solution does and that is what I am trying to do....So do I go out into the public and bring the news media with me door to door and find out what the public really thinks about this.....or can we rationally speak to the commissioners and sit down and find an idea that will make everyone happy...You know it is not just the Sheriff Department that has problems in this county.....it is also the cities.....it is the court house and on and on.....Pulaski has grown and grown but the budget has not....Yes new building are being built everywhere and new businesses are popping up everywhere but who is benefiting from this the cities or the counties......Who and Why......and what can be done about it......

watson

« Reply #69 on: April 08, 2007, 02:30:59 AM »
So, Watson is alone again......

People of Pulaski County

I know there is alot of things that go on here on this board and you might be afraid to speak up on here but remember it is only a speaking board with your opinion.....You could come on the board with a disguised name, speak your mind, leave and never come back again but at least you would get your opinion on here for everyone to see.....I am not afraid we all put on our pants the same way....well unless you want to wear them backwards I do not do that yet....anyway please come on this board and speak up and let your voice be heard.....

Offline ab1999

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 08, 2007, 10:47:28 PM »
So then maybe someone needs to go business to business and find out exactly who is against this LE tax and who is not......but we still have to decide what kind of LE tax the commissioners would agree to first don't we......

As I've said at least twice in this forum, why not go to the Puaski County Chamber of Commerce and ask them if the Chamber supports the tax.  After all, it's  businesses that make up the Chamber. Would be quicker than going door to door

Offline ab1999

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 08, 2007, 11:00:23 PM »
Man, has this ever changed. I have been the one saying for a long time that we need to work with the commissioners to try and do this with respect and common courtesy. I am the one who has been against the badmouthing and negative statements on here. I have made suggestion after suggestion, that is usually ignored (except by Rick). So today, I thought Rick was talking about a petition to try and persuade the commissioners to put it on the ballot. I misunderstood what he meant. I am not speaking for the commissioners at all.  

Crazy Horse, I thought we had an agreement last week, including JB, that the badmouthing etc would stop.  Has that agreement lasted less than a week?  As you know, I've said in here before the initiative has to be worded just right when it gets on the ballot, otherwise the end result gets twisted in a totally different direction.  That's happened to several ballot initiatives.

Offline msheek

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 09, 2007, 02:30:02 AM »
I don't know for sure, but if presented right before the Chamber that could have a good impact.  It may have a devastationg one but I believe it would be a good one.  I might be biased but I truly believe that this thing if given the right publicity and talked about in the right places or the right channels (like the Springfield 911 problem on KY3 it got lots of air time) so our locals could see the problems the department faces and the money that it could free up for other parts of the county.  I just don't see why some one would not vote for it if they actually though tabout it.  I don't know the exact amount, but I don't think it would add that much on anything you bought.  What would it be if you bought $10,000.00 dollors worth of stuff it would add $50.00 to thte total bill.  I'm tired and that might not be the right figure but I think it is.  In a pinch where you need the police I think its rather cheap.  We just have to come up with a way to seel this to the public.  We pay a certain amount for fire and they are volunteers, we pay so much for 911, we pay so much for ambulance and they bill us when we use them, Thats it we need to bill for using the Sheriffs department (cheap attempt at humor hope some one is laughing).  We need to put this out every where and see what happens.  I know I thought I heard JB on te radio the other day and that just needs to start happening more I think.  Gary correct me if I'm wrong here and this is the wrong way but I think maybe some coverage and getting people and a lot of them to voice their opinion to the commisioners is the only way at this point to get it on the ballot anytime soon. 
If anybody knows MAYNARDS given name please PM me with it.  I will not tell who tells me!

Michael Sheek

Offline Law101

• Global Moderator
  • Big Piney Community Activist
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 09, 2007, 02:48:20 AM »
We are planning to get the sales tax amounts that are charged in Houston, Rolla, and Lebannon so we have that information to show the Chamber of Commerce that it won't add so much more to the cost that people will so their shopping in those areas instead of here.  I mean who is going to drive all that way with the price of gas like it is, or the amount of time it takes.

As soon as we get all our information together we will ask to address the Chamber of Commerce and the Committee of Fifty and see if we can get them to support a tax measure that will solve the PCSD's long standing problems.

You are right about raising the public awareness regarding this problem.  We need contact people in all areas of the County who can explain what is going on and maybe even arrange public meetings in their areas for some of us to speak at.

Offline msheek

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 09, 2007, 03:12:54 AM »
Law 101 do you know if anyone has went down and talked to the commissioners in open forum where this can be talked about with all present?  I just don't see where it can be wrong.  Like I said I think it would cost us about 50 per 10000 if I'm thinking right, bu then again I'm awfully tired.  I just thin the more people we can contact and get this message to whether it be door to door or media to ge tis out to the citizens about how desparatly we need this then the better chance we have of getting something done.  If the Chamber is behind it then it is bound to help, but definatley gotta be prepared when taking it to them, Good luck.  Everyone will just have to keep  ***** it till we get something done.
If anybody knows MAYNARDS given name please PM me with it.  I will not tell who tells me!

Michael Sheek

Offline Law101

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: April 09, 2007, 03:25:05 AM »
once we get all our ducks in a row, we will ask to be put on the agenda for the Commissioners meeting so we can present it to them.

Everyone needs to remember that when they attack the Commissioners integrety or reputation, etc. it just puts them on the defensive, gets their backs up and makes them defend their position that much more.
I know they have valid reasons for the stand they are taking, we may not know all those reasons, nor agree with them, but we have to give them consideration the same way we expect them to listen to us and consider our suggestions regarding this problem.  That is the only way a solution will be found.

Offline msheek

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 09, 2007, 03:39:39 AM »
Agree 100%, but if they have no reason not to be up front with the county they represent and work for and let us know what the reasons are.  They also will listen to the people ( I would hope ) if enough people spoke out about it.  I just think the word needs to be spread through out the county ( not that the commissioners are doing somethign wrong) but the county just doesn't have the funds to support the Sheriffs department and everyone else they support, as JB said in another post they almost didn't make payroll.  This is a way to help get out of the red and back into the black.  Imagine how far the extra money could go.  On another thought, I don't know how close or how if it could happen, but imagine all the people that live paycheck to paycheck that work for the county, I have alot of friends down at the Sheriff's department that I don't want to see miss one of they're hard earned checks. 
once we get all our ducks in a row, we will ask to be put on the agenda for the Commissioners meeting so we can present it to them.

Everyone needs to remember that when they attack the Commissioners integrety or reputation, etc. it just puts them on the defensive, gets their backs up and makes them defend their position that much more.
I know they have valid reasons for the stand they are taking, we may not know all those reasons, nor agree with them, but we have to give them consideration the same way we expect them to listen to us and consider our suggestions regarding this problem.  That is the only way a solution will be found.

Michael Sheek

Offline justwannahelp

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 09, 2007, 04:34:16 PM »
Why should they be upfront with the people?  How does this help them at all?
Agree 100%, but if they have no reason not to be up front with the county they represent and work for and let us know what the reasons are.  They also will listen to the people ( I would hope ) if enough people spoke out about it.  I just think the word needs to be spread through out the county ( not that the commissioners are doing somethign wrong) but the county just doesn't have the funds to support the Sheriffs department and everyone else they support, as JB said in another post they almost didn't make payroll.  This is a way to help get out of the red and back into the black.  Imagine how far the extra money could go.  On another thought, I don't know how close or how if it could happen, but imagine all the people that live paycheck to paycheck that work for the county, I have alot of friends down at the Sheriff's department that I don't want to see miss one of they're hard earned checks. 

Offline Law101

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 09, 2007, 05:05:14 PM »
Sales tax figures are:

Houston         7.35%
Lebanon         7.225%
Rolla              7.60%
Waynesville     7.725%
St. Roberts
      Interstate Plaza area    7.975%
      Ferris Location             7.975%
      All others                    7.475%

I don't think an LE Tax which would bring us up to just over 8% would be enough to make shoppers drive elsewhere to do their shopping.
If you do your shopping on the Fort you are charged a surcharge but I don't know the exact amount yet.

Offline Law101

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 09, 2007, 05:22:28 PM »
Crazy Horse, so sorry you are getting beat up so much.  I respect and value your opinion, so please to hesitate to pm me with any advice, comments, or suggestions. 

Offline Valor7

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 09, 2007, 09:46:34 PM »
Gary, I still value your support and I know you love us. But I also understand four thousand people jumping on every statement. Hang in there Baby!

JB

Offline msheek

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 09, 2007, 10:13:06 PM »
Gary for us that actually know you we know what your talking about and know YOU know what your talking about.  Hang in there and the others will come to understand what you are saying might not be what someone wants to hear, but it may be the truth as you have lived and learned in the past or may be your opinion.  I haven't seen you back peddle and I know your not ignoring me.  AT LEAST YOU BETTER NOT BE!!!!!!!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Mike, not ignoring you. I'm not saying much on here anymore regarding this subject. It is too easy to get attacked by people, and I'm sure I should just mind my own business. I pretty much won't comment unless something about EMS or that effects EMS. I have a college degree in Criminal Justice Management, but I don't know anything, so I'm staying out of that. I will do anything to help any of you deputies when I can.  I will PM you, need to talk about another matter anyway.

Gary

Michael Sheek

watson

« Reply #82 on: April 10, 2007, 12:01:45 AM »
Thank you Lois. Its not that bad, I have been on this site so long it is like home. I just understand why the commission might not support an endeavor when we can't even agree how to do it. And, it's really the sheriff's baby anyway and he has full confidence in and support of Mr. Farnham. I am just thinking it is none of my concern, except of course to vote for or against it...if it ever gets put on the ballot. I have tried to tell the truth on here, because I served as a commissioner for 4 years, and I know the commission gets blamed "falsely" regarding law enforcement support. They are mandated by Missouri law to make a budget work and their job is to protect the county citizens in many, many ways. The sheriff's department is one of the county departments, one of the many. I frequently attempted to educate the public on here of how the commission and government functions. How difficult it is in a small rural county with a great big military base in the middle of it to remain solvent. Sadly, some people think you are being negative to law enforcement, if you tell the truth, or your opinion. Anyway, I think it best for me to stick to EMS stuff.

I thought you were considering running for next years commissioners spot.....Gary......

Offline crazy horse

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 10, 2007, 05:26:02 PM »
Watson, no we are getting Rick to run...remember?   

Thank you Mike & JB and all.

Offline 02Tundra

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 10, 2007, 05:30:55 PM »
With all the growth in the county over the past several years, I'm sure the property tax revenues have grown right along with the population, correct?  So, where does all this increase in tax money go?  I'm sure the schools get the lions share of the property taxes collected if my memory is correct, but what about the rest of that increase?

I agree that we need an LE sales tax, but without the support of the Commissioners it can never get on the ballot.  Randall ran on the platform of not supporting the LE tax and got elected by a pretty large margin, didn't he?  So from just that one fact, I would feel safe in saying the majority of people in the county do not, repeat, do not support the LE sales tax, or am I completely off base here?  GET THE TWO COMMISSIONERS THAT DO NOT SUPPORT THE TAX ON BOARD--and then spend some money and get volunteers to go door to door if need be, to inform the citizen's why the LE sales tax is required so it doesn't get shot down at the polls like the fire department tax that got shot down last Feb. 

Offline 02Tundra

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 10, 2007, 05:35:59 PM »
Sales tax figures are:

Houston         7.35%
Lebanon         7.225%
Rolla              7.60%
Waynesville     7.725%
St. Roberts
      Interstate Plaza area    7.975%
      Ferris Location             7.975%
      All others                    7.475%

I don't think an LE Tax which would bring us up to just over 8% would be enough to make shoppers drive elsewhere to do their shopping.
If you do your shopping on the Fort you are charged a surcharge but I don't know the exact amount yet.

You are not charged any surcharge at the Post Exchange (PX), but you get a 5% surcharge at the Commissary.

Offline Law101

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 10, 2007, 08:24:52 PM »
Thank you for supplying that information for me. 

Offline msheek

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 13, 2007, 11:52:08 PM »
Law I was just wondering if you have an idea when you plan on addressing the chamber?

Michael Sheek

Offline Law101

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 14, 2007, 02:24:10 AM »
I will be getting it set up soon and will post it for everyone.  One of the smurfettes already knows a lot of the business owners and I think she will be doing the presentation, but I will also be there. 

Offline justwannahelp

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 01, 2007, 02:45:13 AM »
Tonight from what I just heard a Waynesville officer had to respond to the county because they were so busy that county could not get there.  A little girl got smacked with some sort of weapon/instrument in the arm, and her daddy got ran over by a one ton dodge diesel.  Makes you think about whats been being said about needing man power.  It didn't sound like that big a deal because a waynesville officer picked up the slack but what if they are busy in town.