Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • littlebit: Makes sense.
    July 16, 2017, 04:40:28 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Boards will stay open for a place people can find history information longer. I am not allowing anyone to sign up for now because of so many foreginers just wanting to promote their business..
    December 10, 2016, 05:10:27 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Not sure why didn't look, I may be shutting down these message boards..
    November 17, 2016, 12:42:43 AM
  • ~kathy~: rick why is the timestamp showing up a day in advance?
    September 13, 2016, 12:27:46 AM
  • Valor7: What I tried to say is that the actual money would not be there that quick. But a loan against that would work if they are willing to do that.
    August 08, 2016, 01:51:51 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Why so long before it comes online? 911 took out a loan or bond with the known guarantee payment and began building..
    August 08, 2016, 07:46:34 AM
  • Valor7: Actually no it is not, a dependable Revenue stream will not come on line until the 4th quarter of 2017 so 2018 budget will be up in the air, not quite sure what they will have. By 2019 budget all will be well.
    August 04, 2016, 09:27:17 PM
  • Valor7: You mean that tax that the Commissioners would not put on the ballot for so many years? Strange things happened when the citizens got a chance to vote on that issue.
    August 03, 2016, 06:43:06 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Back up is now available withe the new tax..
    August 03, 2016, 05:01:35 PM
  • Valor7: Thanks a lot Ladies!!
    July 29, 2016, 01:16:13 PM
  • littlebit: ((*(*&
    July 27, 2016, 03:47:52 PM
  • ~kathy~: lol
    July 15, 2016, 09:34:56 AM
  • Valor7: A guy could get killed around here while waiting for backup!
    July 13, 2016, 07:31:58 PM
  • Lepard LLC: You are not alone..
    July 13, 2016, 07:28:53 PM
  • Valor7: I just hate it when I talk to myself!!!!
    July 08, 2016, 12:54:09 PM
  • Valor7: I could have worded that better, we talked details, options, the pros and cons of each, in  order to arrive at the best ballot language to present to the voters. Hope that makes this clearer.
    April 15, 2016, 06:36:14 PM
  • Valor7: sorry about the typos still working with just one arm in action
    April 13, 2016, 01:10:42 PM
  • Valor7: Yes and no. We talked details and options until we were blue in the face but I never heardbring it over, it was always the time was not right for the issue to pass. Glad to see the time in now right and I for one shall vote yes on the ballot. I would urge all others to do the sameour county is busting at the seams crimewise and no matter how many bad guys we send off there always seems to someone to replace them. The Sheriff's Office needs the help.
    April 13, 2016, 01:08:35 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Is that true Valor? Did he ask you what you wanted?
    March 01, 2016, 04:55:37 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Gene Newkirk Rick I have waited for a Sheriff to bring it to me on what he wanted. I have pushed Mr long for a while to get it to me. He told me he was close to having or done. Now hopefully the people will get to decide on it. I spoke with Steve about this a few times.
    March 01, 2016, 04:54:54 AM
  • Kimberly: Wow- I have a new name..........
    February 23, 2016, 10:25:15 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Works on mine, improvements are being done here. I may kick back into her a lot and post but working on different technologies right now. Seeing how things interact.
    January 18, 2016, 09:01:20 AM
  • Valor7: Yes it is working. If you need a laugh the wife showed me how to correctly use the silly thing.
    January 04, 2016, 05:32:59 PM
  • Valor7: Think so, mine is trying to work but it is now user and password protected and I dont know mine
    December 17, 2015, 01:32:16 PM
  • "DJ": Is there still a working android app for the PCSD
    December 14, 2015, 08:14:53 PM

Author Topic: Waynesville Police  (Read 16352 times)

Offline grasshopper

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Waynesville Police
« on: January 11, 2009, 08:22:46 AM »

Share/Bookmark

Fort Wood Hotel

Boards

Devils Elbow

Attractions

Sports

St. Robert

Waynesville

PC Daily

Dixon

Menu Guide

Fun Links

Homework

Crocker

Fort Wood

Swedeborg

Big Piney

Laquey

Classifieds

Restaurants

Richland

Fort  Hotels

On the evening of January 10th, my son and his friend were at the local movie theatre.  Upon leaving the theatre, they were harassed by some young members of the Armed Forces.  My son stated that there was a city cop standing in front of the theatre on his cell phone and did not react to the situation....
I do understand that my son, who has very long hair may be honed in on and stereotyped, this is something that I have told him.  Does this mean that adults should be allowed to harass him?  Also in the presence of a police officer, who I believe is supposed to "Protect & Serve".  This is such a joke in this town.
I called the Waynesville Police Department and the answer I was given was that I should call the Sheriff's Department....  Why?  There was a Waynesville Policemen on site.  Is the Sheriff's Department backup for the PD?  I think not..
Also these young trainees should conduct themselves in a better manner, such as they do when their superiors are around...
It is not my nature to let things such as this go...  But if I do anything, I guess I have marked my son....

Offline Yankee Trader

• View Profile
Re: Waynesville Police
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2009, 04:13:17 PM »
How far from the officer did this happen?  Did your son go up to the officer and tell him/her what happened? Did he go to security at the theater and inform him?

Offline grasshopper

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2009, 04:45:40 PM »
No, I don't believe any of these things happened, unfortunately.  The cop could not have been too far away from the entrance as my son easily spotted him.  He must have been too engrossed in his phone conversation to have noticed anything as I have seen many of the cops in this town sitting in their patrol cars on their cell phones...  I myself would have liked a call from my son as these things were happening before any cop involvement that we must seek....  He did not inform me until he was dropped off by his friends parents.

Offline 48fan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2009, 04:52:27 PM »
 I don't find it hard to believe that a group of soldies would be jealous of your sons hair. After all they probably just lost theirs. LOL

My question deals with the fact that this is your first post. So why did you find it necessary to change your identity to make this post? Just guessing that you thought you'd get better answers if we didn't know who you really are.

Offline grasshopper

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2009, 04:56:03 PM »
I have been a member since April 2008 - have never posted, nor have I changed my "identity".  I probably will now, lol.
I don't find it hard to believe that a group of soldies would be jealous of your sons hair. After all they probably just lost theirs. LOL

My question deals with the fact that this is your first post. So why did you find it necessary to change your identity to make this post? Just guessing that you thought you'd get better answers if we didn't know who you really are.

Offline fish

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2009, 05:01:22 PM »
damn hippies! LOL LOL as long as it was just words, just normal for guys that nolonger have that hair. just a reverse of what gi's put up with in the 70's.

Offline 48fan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2009, 05:02:28 PM »
I have been a member since April 2008 - have never posted, nor have I changed my "identity".  I probably will now, lol.

No need, just having fun. Sorry for the mistake.

My son has long hair also and he hears about it when he goes on post. I am just jealous because I can't grow it anymore. LOL;;

Offline grasshopper

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2009, 05:07:21 PM »

No need, just having fun. Sorry for the mistake.

My son has long hair also and he hears about it when he goes on post. I am just jealous because I can't grow it anymore. LOL;;

Rogaine baby...
The issue I suppose is over his hair, but they were being called gay.  I don't have any issues with homosexuals, but when this issue comes up, things happen and the outcome is usually not good.

I am just a "lurker"...  LoL

Offline ♥♣ ~Maynard~♣♥

• GOING GREEN: Save a tree,eat a beaver.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2009, 05:24:56 PM »
Grasshopper
When you son has to join the service because he can't find a job wether it be from his long hair or the economy.
he can then stand in front of the theater with his shavetail Buddy's and do the same thing maybe ???   ::)
Remember I'm a nudist so when you respond to one of my post yor talking to a naked man  :)

For entertainment purposes only. Any resemblance to real persons living or dead is purely coincidental.

Offline grasshopper

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2009, 05:29:43 PM »
Grasshopper
When you son has to join the service because he can't find a job wether it be from his long hair or the economy.
he can then stand in front of the theater with his shavetail Buddy's and do the same thing maybe ???    ::)
I am ex-active duty as well as his father....  It's hair.  We would have hoped to have raised him better than that then for him to "run his mouth" and get himself in trouble. 

Offline oldcowpoke

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2009, 05:47:40 PM »
And grasshopper? You may have to explain to Maynard that a shavetail is not a new recruit, but a new commissioned lowest rank officer.   He acts like he knows everything, but his ignorance rears its ugly head every now and then.

Offline ♥♣ ~Maynard~♣♥

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2009, 05:56:04 PM »
And grasshopper? You may have to explain to Maynard that a shavetail is not a new recruit, but a new commissioned lowest rank officer. He acts like he knows everything, but his ignorance rears its ugly head every now and then.
This from the guy from Brokeback mountian.
Had you tail shaved up on the mountian lately Old cow poker? :afro:
Remember I'm a nudist so when you respond to one of my post yor talking to a naked man  :)

For entertainment purposes only. Any resemblance to real persons living or dead is purely coincidental.

Offline oldcowpoke

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2009, 06:03:41 PM »
You been coaching the recruits, have you Maynard? Nice. Not so secure in your masculinity? Any time you feel threatened or jealous, just call people gay. You make me laugh.

Offline ♥♣ ~Maynard~♣♥

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2009, 06:14:38 PM »
You been coaching the recruits, have you Maynard? Nice. Not so secure in your masculinity? Any time you feel threatened or jealous, just call people gay. You make me laugh.
Well if i make you laugh my job is done.
Now get back to bashing bush your so good at it winston.
Did you order your Obama trading cards, coins, tee shirts,Plates and all the Big O crap?
 :afro: you got what you wanted now sit back and enjoy :wink1a:

Offline Yankee Trader

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2009, 07:33:43 PM »
No, I don't believe any of these things happened, unfortunately.  The cop could not have been too far away from the entrance as my son easily spotted him.  He must have been too engrossed in his phone conversation to have noticed anything as I have seen many of the cops in this town sitting in their patrol cars on their cell phones...  I myself would have liked a call from my son as these things were happening before any cop involvement that we must seek....  He did not inform me until he was dropped off by his friends parents.

Can't fault an officer for being on the cell phone.  Most of the criminals in this town have scanners and we pass alot of information over the cell phones so they don't hear it.

If your son had problems he should have gone to the officer or security. 

Offline matrsnot

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2009, 07:56:23 PM »
Was it harrassment?  How many where there?   What did these GI's say to him?  Did they actually threaten him?  If no threat, then I would venture to say no real law was broken.  I put up with that BS from the long hairs when I was in service in the late '60's and '70's.  No harm, no foul.  No threat, the police can do nothing.  I don't know about the WPD telling someone to call the PCSD if there is a problem in the city jurisdiction.  Sounds odd to me.

Offline igahmah at work

• Global Moderator
  • Some pursue happiness, others create it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2009, 12:46:49 AM »
I have to agree with matrsnot.  Unless there was a physical attack or a serious threat what was the policeman supposed to do.  They can't arrest someone for making fun of another persons hair.
When I was young, I wanted to be older.  This is not what I expected!

Offline grasshopper

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2009, 03:39:49 AM »
Was it harrassment?  How many where there?   What did these GI's say to him?  Did they actually threaten him?  If no threat, then I would venture to say no real law was broken.  I put up with that BS from the long hairs when I was in service in the late '60's and '70's.  No harm, no foul.  No threat, the police can do nothing.  I don't know about the WPD telling someone to call the PCSD if there is a problem in the city jurisdiction.  Sounds odd to me.

There was a group larger than 5 making comments of their sexual preference.  My son was visibly upset. 
Yes - when I called WPD, I was told to call the Sheriff's Department, which sounded odd to me as well.  This was the whole point of my initial post.
I was not looking for anyone to be arrested, just maybe their behavior corrected.
Sure, I can also understand the use of cell phones, but to be oblivious of what is going on around you.....

Offline darrellmaurina

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2009, 11:48:25 AM »
I do not know if either the Waynesville Police or Army Public Affairs regularly reads this board, but they may be able to answer some of your questions if you call them.

A few comments:

1. I agree that calling the Waynesville Police and being told to call the sheriff makes no sense. Did you call between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m.? If not, then you actually talked to the 911 Center (though they will answer "Waynesvillle Police" after hours) and it's possible the Waynesville Police don't even know you called. Try back during business hours if this is something you want to address with the chief, the assistant chief, or the operations lieutenant.

2. Matrsnot is right. People in America have free speech rights, and the civilian police cannot be involved in stopping people from making nasty comments about somebody's sexual preference.

3. Soldiers wearing uniforms, however, are an entirely different story. If you're wearing the uniform, you represent the Army, not just yourself. If you have the names or unit of these soldiers I suggest you call Fort Leonard Wood Public Affairs and ask if something can be done. I don't think any private in basic training or 2nd Lt. in OBC wants to have his/her commander "in their face" about proper conduct in uniform -- and what happened to your son wasn't proper conduct. I know from direct experience that far less serious insults about sexual preference are taken **EXTREMELY** seriously at Fort Leonard Wood, so please do not let this incident cause you to believe such conduct is tolerated for soldiers. It isn't -- not at all.

Now, having said that ... you might like to tell you son that if you're going to dress in certain ways, wear certain types of hair, or act in certain ways, you're going to have consequences. The soldiers wearing uniforms had no right to do what they did. But a group of teens or guys in their early twenties from rural Missouri might very well do the same thing, and they, unlike the soldiers, would have every right to do what they did. Your son has every legal right to wear his hair however long or short he wants, and people have every legal right to comment on it if they want -- and schools and employers have the right to make decisions on whether your son can attend classes or work for them if they want. That's America.
Darrell Todd Maurina
Check out the Pulaski County Daily News online newspaper at
http://www.pulaskicountyweb.com
Cell: (573) 433.6733 * FAX: (573) 774-2349
Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/darrellmaurina/
Follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/darrellmaurina/

Offline grasshopper

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2009, 01:18:56 PM »
I do understand that my son, who has very long hair may be honed in on and stereotyped, this is something that I have told him.
(this I wrote in my first comment)
But if I do anything, I guess I have marked my son and my family.... And Probably will mark him even more if I do say anymore....
I do understand that people can say whatever they want, but to goad someone in a public parking lot or in front of a public building regardless of whereever they came from, big city, small minded town is another story...
Thanks for your help.

Offline Nanna

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2009, 02:34:20 PM »
I put up with remarks being made to me all my life as my father was in the military
When I had to go to high school in Waynesville I was called Army trash - Army brat - get back to Fort Leonard Wood where you belong etc.
So you son will have to do what I had to do all my life - buck up and ignore the remarks

Offline grasshopper

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2009, 02:49:45 PM »
I put up with remarks being made to me all my life as my father was in the military
When I had to go to high school in Waynesville I was called Army trash - Army brat - get back to Fort Leonard Wood where you belong etc.
So you son will have to do what I had to do all my life - buck up and ignore the remarks

Well that is unfortunate....  I too was a military brat - of an enlisted as well, then became active duty myself.  This never happened to me or my sibling....  I guess we are willing to put up with more crap now and are able to do less about it.  Pretty darn sad....

Offline Nanna

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2009, 02:53:38 PM »
Grasshopper
it happened more in Waynesville than anywhere else
As of matter of fact our bus driver (civilian) that drove us from FLW to Waynesville go mad one day because the bus was to loud and said you army brats shut up and do it now.
Well I guess everyone on the bus told their parents that night and he wasn't our bus driver anymore

Offline Coyote

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2009, 03:02:04 PM »
Agree.  Also how old is your son?  12?  14?  Does he really need his mom to call around town and complain about heresay?

I have to agree with matrsnot.  Unless there was a physical attack or a serious threat what was the policeman supposed to do.  They can't arrest someone for making fun of another persons hair.
....and that night as the moon crossed the mountain, one more Coyote was heard...

Offline grasshopper

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2009, 03:27:05 PM »
Agree.  Also how old is your son?  12?  14?  Does he really need his mom to call around town and complain about heresay?

Well, hmmm...  I would think that the officer would attempt to maintain some type of peace.  Like I said, I wasn't looking for anyone to be arrested.  Good Lord...  I made ONE phone call and was told to call the Sheriff's Department.  I did not call them, as I feel they are too busy with real crime.  No, my son does not need me to call around town and complain, but I would like to keep my children safe - you never know now do you?
Grasshopper
it happened more in Waynesville than anywhere else
As of matter of fact our bus driver (civilian) that drove us from FLW to Waynesville go mad one day because the bus was to loud and said you army brats shut up and do it now.
Well I guess everyone on the bus told their parents that night and he wasn't our bus driver anymore
Good - he should have  been fired.

Offline Lepard LLC

• Activist
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2009, 03:31:32 PM »
I went to school at Waynesville from the fourth grade on and never saw anything like that. I don't doubt that some bullies did that though.

I will say in the Vietnam war era, trainees were refereed to as Doggies and this was meant to be detrimental. Downtown Waynesville was lined with bars and instant credit places that took advantage of the GI's. Bars allowed everyone of just about any age to drink in them. Williams bus lines brought the soldiers to town and they came in droves. Locals often rolled them for their money in dark alleys etc. Was a different time for sure.

Offline 48fan

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2009, 03:37:51 PM »
I don't want to make excuses for anyone however the few times I have been out at the Movie theater I saw the Sheriffs Deputies patrolling the lot. When my son was sitting waiting for me to arrive he said the Deputy asked him what he was doing and my son told him waiting for my Dad and the officer told him to go wait by the building not in the lot, supposedly they have a lot of breakins and have a roving patrol to keep it from happening. So is it possible the theater is in the county? Don't know why else the city would tell you to call the Sheriff.

Offline Yankee Trader

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2009, 06:08:20 PM »
I don't want to make excuses for anyone however the few times I have been out at the Movie theater I saw the Sheriffs Deputies patrolling the lot. When my son was sitting waiting for me to arrive he said the Deputy asked him what he was doing and my son told him waiting for my Dad and the officer told him to go wait by the building not in the lot, supposedly they have a lot of breakins and have a roving patrol to keep it from happening. So is it possible the theater is in the county? Don't know why else the city would tell you to call the Sheriff.

The theater is in the City but off duty deputies provide theater security.  It's one of those 2nd jobs that most deputies have to have to make ends meet.

Offline Just_a_Biker

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2009, 07:51:42 PM »

The theater is in the City but off duty deputies provide theater security.  It's one of those 2nd jobs that most deputies have to have to make ends meet.

True, and that's the ONLY reason I could see WPD telling you to call PCSD, otherwise the movie theatre is in WPD jurisdiction.

As far as the harassment goes... my son (16) also has very long hair  :th_thicon_super: , but thought about cutting it because of the harassment he was getting at school & other places.  I told him that I would support whatever he decided to do, but NOT to bow down to peer pressure or ignorant harassment.  I've also told my Son that HE will have to learn to deal with the harassment if he chooses to keep his hair, BUT if the harassment EVER turns to threats he had better deal with them then and there, because if he doesn't I'll give HIM the a$$ woopin that the others deserved.  He's making adult decisions, he needs to act as an adult.  I've told him time and time again that he's NOT to start any fight under any circumstances, but if ANYONE starts a fight with him he had damn well better finish it, because he'll have an even worse  :th_thkarate: coming at home if he doesn't...

I'm very protective of my children, but I also try to make sure that they never get intimidated or bullied because of fear of repercussions. 
The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. Cicero - 55 BC, Rome

Offline grasshopper

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2009, 11:00:56 AM »
 :)  I do like the good old fashioned way myself.

True, and that's the ONLY reason I could see WPD telling you to call PCSD, otherwise the movie theatre is in WPD jurisdiction.

As far as the harassment goes... my son (16) also has very long hair  :th_thicon_super: , but thought about cutting it because of the harassment he was getting at school & other places.  I told him that I would support whatever he decided to do, but NOT to bow down to peer pressure or ignorant harassment.  I've also told my Son that HE will have to learn to deal with the harassment if he chooses to keep his hair, BUT if the harassment EVER turns to threats he had better deal with them then and there, because if he doesn't I'll give HIM the a$$ woopin that the others deserved.  He's making adult decisions, he needs to act as an adult.  I've told him time and time again that he's NOT to start any fight under any circumstances, but if ANYONE starts a fight with him he had damn well better finish it, because he'll have an even worse  :th_thkarate: coming at home if he doesn't...

I'm very protective of my children, but I also try to make sure that they never get intimidated or bullied because of fear of repercussions.