Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • littlebit: Makes sense.
    July 16, 2017, 04:40:28 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Boards will stay open for a place people can find history information longer. I am not allowing anyone to sign up for now because of so many foreginers just wanting to promote their business..
    December 10, 2016, 05:10:27 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Not sure why didn't look, I may be shutting down these message boards..
    November 17, 2016, 12:42:43 AM
  • ~kathy~: rick why is the timestamp showing up a day in advance?
    September 13, 2016, 12:27:46 AM
  • Valor7: What I tried to say is that the actual money would not be there that quick. But a loan against that would work if they are willing to do that.
    August 08, 2016, 01:51:51 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Why so long before it comes online? 911 took out a loan or bond with the known guarantee payment and began building..
    August 08, 2016, 07:46:34 AM
  • Valor7: Actually no it is not, a dependable Revenue stream will not come on line until the 4th quarter of 2017 so 2018 budget will be up in the air, not quite sure what they will have. By 2019 budget all will be well.
    August 04, 2016, 09:27:17 PM
  • Valor7: You mean that tax that the Commissioners would not put on the ballot for so many years? Strange things happened when the citizens got a chance to vote on that issue.
    August 03, 2016, 06:43:06 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Back up is now available withe the new tax..
    August 03, 2016, 05:01:35 PM
  • Valor7: Thanks a lot Ladies!!
    July 29, 2016, 01:16:13 PM
  • littlebit: ((*(*&
    July 27, 2016, 03:47:52 PM
  • ~kathy~: lol
    July 15, 2016, 09:34:56 AM
  • Valor7: A guy could get killed around here while waiting for backup!
    July 13, 2016, 07:31:58 PM
  • Lepard LLC: You are not alone..
    July 13, 2016, 07:28:53 PM
  • Valor7: I just hate it when I talk to myself!!!!
    July 08, 2016, 12:54:09 PM
  • Valor7: I could have worded that better, we talked details, options, the pros and cons of each, in  order to arrive at the best ballot language to present to the voters. Hope that makes this clearer.
    April 15, 2016, 06:36:14 PM
  • Valor7: sorry about the typos still working with just one arm in action
    April 13, 2016, 01:10:42 PM
  • Valor7: Yes and no. We talked details and options until we were blue in the face but I never heardbring it over, it was always the time was not right for the issue to pass. Glad to see the time in now right and I for one shall vote yes on the ballot. I would urge all others to do the sameour county is busting at the seams crimewise and no matter how many bad guys we send off there always seems to someone to replace them. The Sheriff's Office needs the help.
    April 13, 2016, 01:08:35 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Is that true Valor? Did he ask you what you wanted?
    March 01, 2016, 04:55:37 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Gene Newkirk Rick I have waited for a Sheriff to bring it to me on what he wanted. I have pushed Mr long for a while to get it to me. He told me he was close to having or done. Now hopefully the people will get to decide on it. I spoke with Steve about this a few times.
    March 01, 2016, 04:54:54 AM
  • Kimberly: Wow- I have a new name..........
    February 23, 2016, 10:25:15 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Works on mine, improvements are being done here. I may kick back into her a lot and post but working on different technologies right now. Seeing how things interact.
    January 18, 2016, 09:01:20 AM
  • Valor7: Yes it is working. If you need a laugh the wife showed me how to correctly use the silly thing.
    January 04, 2016, 05:32:59 PM
  • Valor7: Think so, mine is trying to work but it is now user and password protected and I dont know mine
    December 17, 2015, 01:32:16 PM
  • "DJ": Is there still a working android app for the PCSD
    December 14, 2015, 08:14:53 PM

Author Topic: Paramedicís Corner: Heroin Death  (Read 15554 times)

Offline darrellmaurina

• View Profile
Paramedicís Corner: Heroin Death
« on: January 12, 2009, 11:07:52 AM »

Share/Bookmark

Fort Wood Hotel

Boards

Devils Elbow

Attractions

Sports

St. Robert

Waynesville

PC Daily

Dixon

Menu Guide

Fun Links

Homework

Crocker

Fort Wood

Swedeborg

Big Piney

Laquey

Classifieds

Restaurants

Richland

Fort  Hotels

EMTs and paramedics at the Pulaski County Ambulance District (PCAD) have recently experienced battling a flurry of heroin overdoses and near-deaths, and at least one known heroin death. This is such a sad and tragic part of American culture. One hopes that new methods can be developed to combat this problem as current models have miserably failed. As ambulance director, I have hopes for support groups like the newly forming group starting in Pulaski County. Although I do not not have the answer to this horrific problem, I can relate to the readers what it is like to combat one of these deaths or near-deaths, and how heroin kills. Read More ...

By Gary Carmack, Ambulance Director
Darrell Todd Maurina
Check out the Pulaski County Daily News online newspaper at
http://www.pulaskicountyweb.com
Cell: (573) 433.6733 * FAX: (573) 774-2349
Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/darrellmaurina/
Follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/darrellmaurina/

Offline CriTTer

• View Profile
Re: Paramedicís Corner: Heroin Death
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2009, 01:54:26 PM »
some content of this video may seem to graffic for some and NSFW   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OwEyXFhZ9g

Offline "DJ"

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2009, 01:04:05 PM »
Heroin is a topic that most people don't want to talk about ,but it is a huge problem in our community.

Offline crazy horse

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2009, 06:52:15 PM »
I agree Jedi25, I am doing some research for Darrell from ambulance and coroner's office to check facts on heroin calls here. It is an extremely dangerous problem as it is so easy to die from heroin.

Gary

Offline "DJ"

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2009, 03:38:04 PM »
CH Thanks for bring this to our attention. I would like to see what this research shows. I know of a couple young men that have died recently from from Pulaski County of heroin OD.  It has devastated their parents and families.

Offline 48fan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2009, 03:51:17 PM »
Heroin is a topic that most people don't want to talk about ,but it is a huge problem in our community.

How huge is huge? Just curious that we have this huge problem in the community and this is the first time that many have heard of it (in our community).

Offline "DJ"

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2009, 04:03:01 PM »
I'm hoping that Crazy Horse will be able to give us some statistics on the number of calls in Pulaski County for heroin overdose and death? The word on the street is that heroin is replacing the meth problem . Something called China White?

Offline ex-ed

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2009, 04:19:31 PM »

How huge is huge? Just curious that we have this huge problem in the community and this is the first time that many have heard of it (in our community).

Gary says in his article that PCAD has experienced "a flurry of heroin overdoses and near-deaths, and at least one known heroin death." That, to me, makes it a serious problem, one well worth tackling head-on. One death is too many!
"Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come!"

Offline crazy horse

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2009, 06:29:45 PM »
I have some statistics on this and some information regarding a support group. I am turning over to Darrell for a story as he is working on as he will do a much better job than me. Just last few days we had a Cocaine/OxyContin OD.
   This reminds me of the years I worked ER at the old Pulaski County Memorial Hospital. We seen rapes nearly every Friday & Saturday nights, especially payday weekends. But, the folks rarely knew of these. Most upstanding citizens didn't (didn't want to) acknowledge the crimes. I was always amazed at the difference in the "night-life" in Pulaski County, as opposed to the "daytime citizens. Cops, firefighters, ER staff, and paramedics view an entire different world from most. Crime has always been here and always will be. Most just don't know it, or prefer to ignore it to protect economic interests.
   By-the-way, and I know will get me about a million more negative reps (I think I'm already the highest on here, hahaha) but I do not believe drug addiction should be a crime. This should be a social/medical matter. Not jail time. The exception being the Pusher, which of course we never get the big ones. They too rich and powerful.

Offline Law101

• Global Moderator
  • Big Piney Community Activist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2009, 06:36:50 PM »
You don't hear much about gang problem in this area but they are not only here but they are also in our schools.

Offline Margarita

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2009, 06:49:55 PM »
I agree with you Crazy Horse  and you also Law101
Until the day God hands over the keys to the Kingdom of Heaven, no one on Earth has the right to judge anyone.

Offline crazy horse

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2009, 07:08:55 PM »
Thank you Margarita, another problem I am going to soon do an article on is Huffing. I can't this week as I already have my column ready to submit to Darrell & Daily Guide, but please tell any kids you know, this can destroy the brain or kill them. Recently, we have responded to several of these. They are using computer cleaner and they become hypoxic. Perhaps talk to them about being disabled. Teens do not seem to fear death. Them do not see death as a reality. However, they are very concerned about their body. I will cover this in detail when I write about it in Paramedic's Corner.

Law, true organized gangs were actually much worse here in 60s and 70s. These are mild today compared to them. Yes, real, but do not know if worse or not. A lot of gang related murder here in 60s & 70s.

Gary

Offline Margarita

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2009, 07:34:07 PM »
I wish that you would also do an article on binge drinking.  That seems to be a big problem among these young adults also.  You are right about them not fearing death also.  My son has told me he "knows what he is doing" regarding his drinking habits.  I always fear he will over do it.
Until the day God hands over the keys to the Kingdom of Heaven, no one on Earth has the right to judge anyone.

Offline Law101

• Global Moderator
  • Big Piney Community Activist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2009, 07:38:06 PM »
I don't think it is as bad as you say it was in the past, nor is it as bad as it was where I lived in CA.  I just know that without adequate awareness on both the public's and LE's part, it can grow to become a major problem.  One I would hate to see happen here.

Offline crazy horse

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2009, 07:47:52 PM »
Law 101, I agree.

Margarita, you are very astute. You could be one of my students. Nothing supersedes alcohol in causing death. Our society has strong focus on Meth and things that cause not even near the problem of alcohol. Yes, I will cover that for you.

Gary

Offline Margarita

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2009, 08:27:28 PM »
Crazy Horse, thank you.  I will be looking forward to your article.  Other than alcohol related accidents, society doesn't seem to realize the problems  and deaths caused by socially acceptable alcohol.  Young adults are always looking for an "escape" from the stresses of life today. 

Offline Lepard LLC

• Activist
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2009, 08:39:38 PM »
I agree that alchohol is way worse than pot, but meth is debateable in comparison to alchohol. Depends on the subject matter. Alchohol is more violent for sure.. Depressants make people mean or moody. Speeds usually just wierds them out..
The big difference a paramedic sees is drunks, where as meth is easier to hide it's effects, they have probably seen a lot more people on it then they realize..

Law 101, I agree.

Margarita, you are very astute. You could be one of my students. Nothing supersedes alcohol in causing death. Our society has strong focus on Meth and things that cause not even near the problem of alcohol. Yes, I will cover that for you.

Gary

Offline crazy horse

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2009, 08:54:50 PM »
Rick, I'm talking about death and serious illness. Meth does not (or rarely causes death) it is speed. People don't quit breathing, etc. Deaths would be like Cocaine. Cocaine rarely causes death, when it does it is usually cardiac. No, alcohol supersedes all forms of drugs in causing death and serious illness. Even more than the very dangerous heroin. As horrible as meth is you do not get the deaths. Pot, is not even close. Shouldn't even be counted (and no I don't use it).

Offline crazy horse

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2009, 09:00:08 PM »
Rick, something we have been worried about is this computer cleaning stuff. I guess these young people think it isn't a drug so isn't dangerous. But, the high they are getting is a hypoxic high. Extremely dangerous. We have got several calls lately. Very scary!

Gary

Offline crazy horse

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2009, 09:03:22 PM »
Rick, I also know how lives are changed and horrible cost to people and families on Meth. I do agree with you. It destroys, it just takes longer and doesn't cause sudden death. So, we agree.

Offline Lepard LLC

• Activist
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2009, 09:16:48 PM »
Huffing it? I remember kids huffing Pam spray when I was a teen.

I hyperventilated a few times as a kid, for those of you who don't know that that is you squat down them breath in really fast about 30 times then stand up and you pass out. I saw one kid fall on his head hard doing that once.

Rick, something we have been worried about is this computer cleaning stuff. I guess these young people think it isn't a drug so isn't dangerous. But, the high they are getting is a hypoxic high. Extremely dangerous. We have got several calls lately. Very scary!

Gary

Offline Kristi Marie

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2009, 10:54:48 PM »

Gary
The kids huffing computer air cleaner has been going on for some time~ I overheard my kids bragging about it one time and don't think I didn't smack him and ask him did he want to die or what?! grrrr

Offline crazy horse

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2009, 11:12:20 PM »
I know Kristi, but we didn't get calls for it until recently. So, when we are getting calls because the kids got so bad they needed help, that concerns me. I know a police detective and some of my paramedics who are very concerned. They brought it to my attention asking me some questions. We are looking at preventing a death or loss of a brain.

Offline Jax

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2009, 11:51:27 PM »
Please check out my website for additional important information regarding drugs and alcohol.

www.a-brandnewday.com

Offline crazy horse

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2009, 12:37:38 AM »
That is wonderful Jax, thank you! I also learned something else reading your site. I needed a place to send an employee for anger management therapy several months ago, and couldn't find anything local. Now I know...thank you,

Gary

Offline Jax

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2009, 12:43:48 AM »
My pleasure. I hope your employee got the help he needed from some one.

Offline Kristi Marie

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2009, 03:16:15 AM »
Cant someone go to the schools and talk to kids about huffing? I don't know if they still to the dare thing or not~ Be worth checking out i'm thinking..

Offline crazy horse

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2009, 01:48:32 AM »
more recent heroin ods the last few days.

Offline Jax

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2009, 03:13:08 AM »
Sad but true on the recent OD's. Too bad it will get worse before it gets better.

DARTS is attempting to get a school education program set up. We are working hard at getting all our ducks in a row before going out into the community.

Offline fish

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2009, 03:27:50 AM »
I never thought heroin would be much of a problem here. you hear about meth most of the time. I would really like to see drug dealing made a capital crime. the pushers are killing people by proxy.