Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • littlebit: Makes sense.
    July 16, 2017, 04:40:28 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Boards will stay open for a place people can find history information longer. I am not allowing anyone to sign up for now because of so many foreginers just wanting to promote their business..
    December 10, 2016, 05:10:27 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Not sure why didn't look, I may be shutting down these message boards..
    November 17, 2016, 12:42:43 AM
  • ~kathy~: rick why is the timestamp showing up a day in advance?
    September 13, 2016, 12:27:46 AM
  • Valor7: What I tried to say is that the actual money would not be there that quick. But a loan against that would work if they are willing to do that.
    August 08, 2016, 01:51:51 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Why so long before it comes online? 911 took out a loan or bond with the known guarantee payment and began building..
    August 08, 2016, 07:46:34 AM
  • Valor7: Actually no it is not, a dependable Revenue stream will not come on line until the 4th quarter of 2017 so 2018 budget will be up in the air, not quite sure what they will have. By 2019 budget all will be well.
    August 04, 2016, 09:27:17 PM
  • Valor7: You mean that tax that the Commissioners would not put on the ballot for so many years? Strange things happened when the citizens got a chance to vote on that issue.
    August 03, 2016, 06:43:06 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Back up is now available withe the new tax..
    August 03, 2016, 05:01:35 PM
  • Valor7: Thanks a lot Ladies!!
    July 29, 2016, 01:16:13 PM
  • littlebit: ((*(*&
    July 27, 2016, 03:47:52 PM
  • ~kathy~: lol
    July 15, 2016, 09:34:56 AM
  • Valor7: A guy could get killed around here while waiting for backup!
    July 13, 2016, 07:31:58 PM
  • Lepard LLC: You are not alone..
    July 13, 2016, 07:28:53 PM
  • Valor7: I just hate it when I talk to myself!!!!
    July 08, 2016, 12:54:09 PM
  • Valor7: I could have worded that better, we talked details, options, the pros and cons of each, in  order to arrive at the best ballot language to present to the voters. Hope that makes this clearer.
    April 15, 2016, 06:36:14 PM
  • Valor7: sorry about the typos still working with just one arm in action
    April 13, 2016, 01:10:42 PM
  • Valor7: Yes and no. We talked details and options until we were blue in the face but I never heardbring it over, it was always the time was not right for the issue to pass. Glad to see the time in now right and I for one shall vote yes on the ballot. I would urge all others to do the sameour county is busting at the seams crimewise and no matter how many bad guys we send off there always seems to someone to replace them. The Sheriff's Office needs the help.
    April 13, 2016, 01:08:35 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Is that true Valor? Did he ask you what you wanted?
    March 01, 2016, 04:55:37 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Gene Newkirk Rick I have waited for a Sheriff to bring it to me on what he wanted. I have pushed Mr long for a while to get it to me. He told me he was close to having or done. Now hopefully the people will get to decide on it. I spoke with Steve about this a few times.
    March 01, 2016, 04:54:54 AM
  • Kimberly: Wow- I have a new name..........
    February 23, 2016, 10:25:15 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Works on mine, improvements are being done here. I may kick back into her a lot and post but working on different technologies right now. Seeing how things interact.
    January 18, 2016, 09:01:20 AM
  • Valor7: Yes it is working. If you need a laugh the wife showed me how to correctly use the silly thing.
    January 04, 2016, 05:32:59 PM
  • Valor7: Think so, mine is trying to work but it is now user and password protected and I dont know mine
    December 17, 2015, 01:32:16 PM
  • "DJ": Is there still a working android app for the PCSD
    December 14, 2015, 08:14:53 PM

Author Topic: no help and run arounds...  (Read 4249 times)

Offline redneck99

• View Profile
no help and run arounds...
« on: January 19, 2009, 04:22:02 AM »

Share/Bookmark

Fort Wood Hotel

Boards

Devils Elbow

Attractions

Sports

St. Robert

Waynesville

PC Daily

Dixon

Menu Guide

Fun Links

Homework

Crocker

Fort Wood

Swedeborg

Big Piney

Laquey

Classifieds

Restaurants

Richland

Fort  Hotels

Ok i got home from work the other day to find that one of the pipes in the house busted open and was flooding the house.Frist thing i did was call my landlord and no answer,so i tried find a vaule down stairs and didn't find it.Then next thing i did was go out side and try to get the main turned off.It wouldn't move!So i called 911.
She tells me help is on the way. Then calls me back to tell me to call my water co.Which i did.On there message they tell me in case of emercey to call 911! I caled them again. They tell me they can't find a after hour number for them,I was like really..Well i need the water turned off!!Its flooding the house!!Can you please send out the fire dept?She tells me she can't. Thats its her way of say its not thier prob..Ok wtf??How am i going to get the water to stop ??She tells me to call a plumber,and have them do it.I called 3 people(24 hour services) After the 3 person i had a call back.They came out and it got it to stop by forcing the main off.At the cost of ($88.50!)
MIND YOU I WAS TRYING TO GET SOME FOR THE PAST 2 HOURS TO COME OUT TO GET THE WATER TO STOP FLOODIN THE HOUSE..It had to start at least 11-12 when it statred i got home at 1:30pm.
Why am i paying taxes for the this and getting no help.The last time this happened,i lived in kansas and they(911) got a hold of the water co, and if they didn't they would send out the fire dept.
I would like to know what gives?

Offline MBRwife

• ME LUV & MISS YA CRAZYHORSE!!!!
    • View Profile
Re: no help and run arounds...
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2009, 01:10:08 PM »
It's amazing that no one cares about the condition of their fellow man.  No one seems to want to step up to the plate and aid another in trouble.  What has happened to this country that we don't help our fellow man because it isn't "our" job.  I'm so sorry this happened to you.  Your water company should have been available to you; but that 911 dispatcher, although not her job, should have been a little more helpful.  I SAY IT'S OKAY TO GO ABOVE WHAT YOUR JOB DESCRIPTION SAYS YOU HAVE TO DO.  People are screaming everyday about the sadness of the condition of this country; but look at this situation.  No one seems to want to help change it. 

People are screaming for our new president to in act change to help this country.  Listen to his speech tomorrow.  He will say that change will come at the hand of you helping yourselves and others.  Sad, very sad, that this man's house flooded and no one would lift a finger to help.  I say shame on you all that he tried to contact that day.  :shame:   Change will only come to this country when we recognize that we need to help one another!!!!!
...If any man desire to be first, the same shall be last of all, and servant of all.  Mark 9:35

Offline darrellmaurina

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2009, 01:25:30 PM »
Redneck, do you live inside city limits, or are you served by a rural water district? I want to look into this. While in this specific case, water problems within a house or apartment are probably the responsibility of the homeowner or landlord rather than the water utility, I have serious concerns about the water utility having a message telling people to call 911 for emergencies and the 911 dispatchers not having an after-hours number.

In fairness to the dispatcher, it is my understanding that the Pulaski County 911 Center has very specific protocols and the dispatchers are not allowed to deviate from the call cards. If your fire district has a policy of not dealing with water leaks and if the 911 Center has a policy of not recommending specific businesses to do repair work on private property, the dispatcher could not do anything more than he or she did to help you. The key issue is not those problems, but rather than the local water utility has a message telling people to call 911 for emergencies but 911 doesn't have an after-hours emergency number for them.

Regards,
Darrell Todd Maurina

Ok i got home from work the other day to find that one of the pipes in the house busted open and was flooding the house.Frist thing i did was call my landlord and no answer,so i tried find a vaule down stairs and didn't find it.Then next thing i did was go out side and try to get the main turned off.It wouldn't move!So i called 911.
She tells me help is on the way. Then calls me back to tell me to call my water co.Which i did.On there message they tell me in case of emercey to call 911! I caled them again. They tell me they can't find a after hour number for them,I was like really..Well i need the water turned off!!Its flooding the house!!Can you please send out the fire dept?She tells me she can't. Thats its her way of say its not thier prob..Ok wtf??How am i going to get the water to stop ??She tells me to call a plumber,and have them do it.I called 3 people(24 hour services) After the 3 person i had a call back.They came out and it got it to stop by forcing the main off.At the cost of ($88.50!)
MIND YOU I WAS TRYING TO GET SOME FOR THE PAST 2 HOURS TO COME OUT TO GET THE WATER TO STOP FLOODIN THE HOUSE..It had to start at least 11-12 when it statred i got home at 1:30pm.
Why am i paying taxes for the this and getting no help.The last time this happened,i lived in kansas and they(911) got a hold of the water co, and if they didn't they would send out the fire dept.
I would like to know what gives?
Darrell Todd Maurina
Check out the Pulaski County Daily News online newspaper at
http://www.pulaskicountyweb.com
Cell: (573) 433.6733 * FAX: (573) 774-2349
Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/darrellmaurina/
Follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/darrellmaurina/

Offline CrazedChris

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2009, 02:28:37 PM »
In fairness to the dispatcher, it is my understanding that the Pulaski County 911 Center has very specific protocols and the dispatchers are not allowed to deviate from the call cards. If your fire district has a policy of not dealing with water leaks and if the 911 Center has a policy of not recommending specific businesses to do repair work on private property, the dispatcher could not do anything more than he or she did to help you. The key issue is not those problems, but rather than the local water utility has a message telling people to call 911 for emergencies but 911 doesn't have an after-hours emergency number for them.

I totally agree here.  The first complaint I made if I were you, would be to the management of the water company.  They really should have an emergency contact number and/or a emergency person on call for these situations.  I am sorry you had so much trouble, I hope your house wasn't too badly damaged.

Offline MBRwife

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2009, 03:41:36 PM »
Redneck, do you live inside city limits, or are you served by a rural water district? I want to look into this. While in this specific case, water problems within a house or apartment are probably the responsibility of the homeowner or landlord rather than the water utility, I have serious concerns about the water utility having a message telling people to call 911 for emergencies and the 911 dispatchers not having an after-hours number.

Regards,
Darrell Todd Maurina

DTM, I agree to an extent.  Having a brother in emergency services I understand completely the need for protocols; but this makes the 2nd time in the past few months we've heard of a dispatch from one of the area emergency services companies leave a person hanging on "sorry I can't help".  I feel that dispatcher should have done more to find a number for Redneck to have called.  With that said, yes according to most all city and county ordinances, problems past the water meter belong to the homeowner/tenant.  But let's get real here people.  This is a renter who tried to help himself and couldn't. When will common sense and good will override "protocol"!  Hope you still love me DTM.
...If any man desire to be first, the same shall be last of all, and servant of all.  Mark 9:35

Offline darrellmaurina

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2009, 04:47:33 PM »
I'm not disagreeing with anything you say, MBRwife -- and no, I certainly don't have a problem with you.

I think there are two separate issues here.

First, as a news reporter, I want to find out which municipal or rural water utility is telling people to call 911 for emergencies at the same time that the 911 dispatchers say they don't have an after-hours contact number. If that happened, there has either been a serious miscommunication or a serious mistake that needs to be corrected.

Second, this is a concrete example of the type of things that will happen if St. Robert, Dixon, and the sheriff's department lose their dispatchers. The 911 Center uses strict call-card protocols and tapes their calls, which means dispatchers know they can be evaluated on whether they followed the protocols. That is not necessarily the case with the other three agencies that have their own dispatchers -- depending on the individual dispatcher and the amount of other radio traffic at the time, it's quite possible that a non-911 dispatcher might say to herself, "Hey, this person needs help, let's see what I can do above and beyond my job description." I need to check with 911 Director Michelle Graves to be sure, but I don't believe the 911 dispatchers are able to do things like that, at least not without checking with a supervisor.

I'm not trying to argue for or against the way 911 does things, but it is quite different from how the other three agencies operate. By definition, the 911 Center handles emergencies and probably does need to have a stricter set of rules. However, stricter rules can impair flexibility as well as promote efficiency and consistency.

And let's remember that we haven't yet found out the 911 protocols -- maybe the dispatcher **SHOULD** have made a referral to a fire department or plumber. I don't know, but I do intend to find out.

Bottom line: We don't yet have enough information to know if the problem was with the water utility (or even which water utility it was), with the 911 protocol not being followed by a dispatcher, or with an overly rigid 911 protocol that won't let dispatchers help people whose problems are a little "out of the box." And maybe once all the facts are on the table, it will be obvious to everybody that any possible solution to the problem would create other problems that are worse (i.e., showing favoritism to certain plumbers, or calling volunteer firefighters out to things they can't help with, or whatever).

I'll leave it to the law enforcement personnel and dispatchers on this board to comment more if they consider it appropriate. They deal with dispatching day in and day out; I don't. I just know what I see when attending board meetings, asking questions to senior leaders of the agencies, and listening on the scanner -- as well as having observed dispatch systems in several other cities, counties and states. The 911 dispatchers have a different mission than the three remaining local police dispatch operations, and because their mission is different they handle it in different ways.

DTM, I agree to an extent.  Having a brother in emergency services I understand completely the need for protocols; but this makes the 2nd time in the past few months we've heard of a dispatch from one of the area emergency services companies leave a person hanging on "sorry I can't help".  I feel that dispatcher should have done more to find a number for Redneck to have called.  With that said, yes according to most all city and county ordinances, problems past the water meter belong to the homeowner/tenant.  But let's get real here people.  This is a renter who tried to help himself and couldn't. When will common sense and good will override "protocol"!  Hope you still love me DTM.
Darrell Todd Maurina

Offline Law101

• Global Moderator
  • Big Piney Community Activist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2009, 07:02:46 PM »
All the more reason for PCSD to keep it's dispatcher's 24/7/365!  Better assistance for the Deputies and the public they serve.

Offline redneck99

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2009, 08:53:51 PM »
Frist thanks to all the replied.I live off on texas raod.(rual as they called it).Yes she(911) gave me the water co to call and in there message they say that if emrcery to call 911.No after hour number or anything, i got into an arugement w the 911 lady she kept telling there was a number to call them after hours. I kept telling no there isn't,. she then found out her self that there wasn't when she called me back.
She then told me me to call a plumber and even that took forever..
QUOTE> 'i m the renter*
Secondly ..lol i'm not a guy.. :runover: :th_egypt:

Offline Just_a_Biker

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2009, 09:37:33 PM »
Good luck redneck!  I came home last night to the same thing, except my main shut-off valve inside the house had broke, so there was NOTHING I could do myself.  I must say, I was impressed with the Waynesville Utilities Department response, AND they treated me like a human being!!  Let me know how your situation turns out; I've been on the phone with the insurance company all day... uuggghhh
The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. Cicero - 55 BC, Rome

Offline matrsnot

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2009, 10:57:35 PM »
Please look into it Darrell.  Seems to me Michelle Graves needs to look into it too.  There needs to be some flexibility if the 911 dispatchers are going to provide service after the recent hatchet job by you know who.  If they have cards for certain protocols that is fine, but they should also be allowed to use some common sense.  They are there to provide a service to us all.  I hope I never have need to call them, but if I do, I will expect prompt, caring service.  Just like Biker got.

Offline darrellmaurina

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2009, 12:44:08 AM »
Frist thanks to all the replied.I live off on texas raod.(rual as they called it).Yes she(911) gave me the water co to call and in there message they say that if emrcery to call 911.No after hour number or anything, i got into an arugement w the 911 lady she kept telling there was a number to call them after hours. I kept telling no there isn't,. she then found out her self that there wasn't when she called me back.
She then told me me to call a plumber and even that took forever..
QUOTE> 'i m the renter*
Secondly ..lol i'm not a guy.. :runover: :th_egypt:

OK... she's on one of the rural water districts, not the cities of St. Robert or Waynesville. I have a pretty good idea which one but I need to check to be sure.

I will continue to follow up on this.
Darrell Todd Maurina

Offline igahmah at work

• Global Moderator
  • Some pursue happiness, others create it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2009, 02:08:37 AM »
texas road is #2 at least thats where our church pays its water bill
When I was young, I wanted to be older.  This is not what I expected!

Offline Kristi Marie

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2009, 05:58:36 AM »
I know this probably won't help you any now~ but I had a water line break when my husband was at work one day, since then I know how to shut off my water inside and at the meter~ I can also shut off all of the water in Swedeborg since I have the main shut off in my yard! lol  ((*(*& ((*(*& 

Offline Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2009, 06:13:43 AM »
I hope that anyone of the folks out here where I live know to just holler and us good old boys will shut the water off and help clean up the mess. Myself, Dixon Bob and others out here are always ready to help when needed. It all boils down to getting to know who you are living around.

PS..Having cold beer in the fridge helps too. LOL
If your going to be dumb, you better be tough!

Offline MBRwife

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2009, 11:02:37 AM »
I'm not disagreeing with anything you say, MBRwife -- and no, I certainly don't have a problem with you.

I think there are two separate issues here.

First, as a news reporter, I want to find out which municipal or rural water utility is telling people to call 911 for emergencies at the same time that the 911 dispatchers say they don't have an after-hours contact number. If that happened, there has either been a serious miscommunication or a serious mistake that needs to be corrected.

Second, this is a concrete example of the type of things that will happen if St. Robert, Dixon, and the sheriff's department lose their dispatchers. The 911 Center uses strict call-card protocols and tapes their calls, which means dispatchers know they can be evaluated on whether they followed the protocols. That is not necessarily the case with the other three agencies that have their own dispatchers -- depending on the individual dispatcher and the amount of other radio traffic at the time, it's quite possible that a non-911 dispatcher might say to herself, "Hey, this person needs help, let's see what I can do above and beyond my job description." I need to check with 911 Director Michelle Graves to be sure, but I don't believe the 911 dispatchers are able to do things like that, at least not without checking with a supervisor.

I'm not trying to argue for or against the way 911 does things, but it is quite different from how the other three agencies operate. By definition, the 911 Center handles emergencies and probably does need to have a stricter set of rules. However, stricter rules can impair flexibility as well as promote efficiency and consistency.

And let's remember that we haven't yet found out the 911 protocols -- maybe the dispatcher **SHOULD** have made a referral to a fire department or plumber. I don't know, but I do intend to find out.

Bottom line: We don't yet have enough information to know if the problem was with the water utility (or even which water utility it was), with the 911 protocol not being followed by a dispatcher, or with an overly rigid 911 protocol that won't let dispatchers help people whose problems are a little "out of the box." And maybe once all the facts are on the table, it will be obvious to everybody that any possible solution to the problem would create other problems that are worse (i.e., showing favoritism to certain plumbers, or calling volunteer firefighters out to things they can't help with, or whatever).

I'll leave it to the law enforcement personnel and dispatchers on this board to comment more if they consider it appropriate. They deal with dispatching day in and day out; I don't. I just know what I see when attending board meetings, asking questions to senior leaders of the agencies, and listening on the scanner -- as well as having observed dispatch systems in several other cities, counties and states. The 911 dispatchers have a different mission than the three remaining local police dispatch operations, and because their mission is different they handle it in different ways.

DTM, thanks for caring enough to look into this for us.  Redneck, when you contact your landlord, please let us know where he says the shut off valve was.  Unfortunately I've seen a number of older homes in Pulaski Co. that do not have a main shut off valve in them.  The only way to shut the water off is at the meter.  Let us know if that's the way it is at your house.

If I could give some advice to all readers: when I was doing property management I tried always to make sure that my tenants knew what emergency numbers to call and had those numbers put on the frig.  That way you knew where to look for your numbers even in the dark with a flash light. And have flashlights placed where you can find them in the dark. Also, know where your water shut off valve is; know where the breaker box is; know your escape routes in case of fire.  Know how to handle an accident before it actually happens.
I've been in my house for less than a month.  Some of the first things I noted were: where the water shut off is; the breaker box, the furnace emergency breaker, how I would get out of my upstairs in case of fire. 

Offline Yankee Trader

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2009, 04:06:32 PM »
Thanks DTM.  You are right about flexibility.  If the call volume is not crazy we can do alot pretty fast.  If it is crazy it may take a while.  Folks just have to be patient because emergencies and our officers come before the phone.  If we put you on hold don't hang up!! We don't have any music to let you know you are still on hold.

We have a 2" manual of phone numbers and contacts in Communications.  I just phoned the office and asked that it be gone through and to make sure that we have current emergency contact numbers in it due to the surge in water related emergencies.  A lot of times these companies change phone numbers, personnel etc. and don't notify us.  The exception would be the sewer district as we are the emergency contact for them when your sewer alarm goes off.  Just call our office and we will contact the on call sewer district personnel.  They respond promptly.  They contact us each week and tell us which worker is on call so we don't waste time going through their list.

Offline Law101

• Global Moderator
  • Big Piney Community Activist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2009, 04:14:23 PM »
Just another example of what the Dispatchers do to serve both us and the Dept.

Offline cayteaka

• Today is a gift, tomorrow is a blessing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2009, 08:13:36 PM »
The only thing that I might add to some of the excellent points that have been made is please remember there are 2-3 dispatchers on at any given time. They do a lot of jobs and though not every minute is nail biting tension and full of excitement when the s---t hits the fan it normally does it at once. I work the ambulance and have been in there when it is utter chaos and those dispatchers for the most part do an excellent job. The majority of them also are there to truly help people. They field calls for medical, fire and some law enforcement; they also do the dispatching for Ft Leonard Wood Emergency Services as well. Their job is not only dispatching it is also coordinating what all those departments need such as additional resources, relaying information between departments, making phone calls not only for those who call 911 (such as in your case when trying to find an after hours or emergency number for you), but they also call for checking on helicopter flight status, getting correct information or relaying scene information as it becomes available to all the responding entities. They do all this and continue to answer 911 calls, give pre-arrival directions to people who call with life threatening emergencies or stay on line with people who call who are scared and need calmed down until help arrives, and take care of new emergencies as additional people call 911. These are all things that happen behind the scenes that very few people are aware of in scanner land or very few think about when they call 911. Imagine dispatching and coordinating all that for up to 12 ambulances, seven different fire departments to include all the different crews and vehicles they have, plus the law enforcement that they do dispatch for while still handling new calls. How would you like to be responsible for all of it?

Though your emergency was important to you at the time and life affecting, as any flooding house would be, there may have been a lot of other things going on at that time as well. You even stated she did try to help you by making calls for you but could not find any other way of assisting you. There comes a time when all hell is breaking loose that any person would have to prioritize and say, this person is not in harms way, this person is not calling in a medical emergency, I have done all I can at this time to aid this person. Maybe she should have called the fire department but they also could have been running calls or they may have a policy on what they will and won’t respond to.

I don't know just throwing suggestions out there. How would you like it if you called 911 because your house was burning down and fire response is delayed to your home because they were at the other end of the county turning off someone’s water?

Anyone who knows me knows I believe in being self sufficient exactly for these reasons. Know how to turn the water main off and have the correct tools to do it. Know your neighbors at least well enough that you could ask them for help in an emergency. Get your landlords cell phone number, work number, and home number and have it readily accessible in case something like this happens again. Also in case you do not know it you could have also called the fire department direct and asked them if they would come out. They have a business line in the phone book. People get upset and frustrated and instead of looking at what could be changed or done better it is easier to place blame. Maybe in this case it could be looked at as a learning experience and evaluated by yourself as how will you be better prepared if that or something similar were to happen again.

Offline Nanna

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2009, 08:39:52 PM »
CAYTEAKA
that was an excellent explanation.  I am very thankful for all of you and the work you do
My hat goes off to all of you

Offline firegirl204

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2009, 08:48:31 PM »
Information for all, I have checked and updated all the emergency numbers that the Sheriff's Department has just like Yankee asked me to do.  Therefore, feel free to give us a call as long as we still have our dispatchers.