Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • littlebit: Makes sense.
    July 16, 2017, 04:40:28 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Boards will stay open for a place people can find history information longer. I am not allowing anyone to sign up for now because of so many foreginers just wanting to promote their business..
    December 10, 2016, 05:10:27 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Not sure why didn't look, I may be shutting down these message boards..
    November 17, 2016, 12:42:43 AM
  • ~kathy~: rick why is the timestamp showing up a day in advance?
    September 13, 2016, 12:27:46 AM
  • Valor7: What I tried to say is that the actual money would not be there that quick. But a loan against that would work if they are willing to do that.
    August 08, 2016, 01:51:51 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Why so long before it comes online? 911 took out a loan or bond with the known guarantee payment and began building..
    August 08, 2016, 07:46:34 AM
  • Valor7: Actually no it is not, a dependable Revenue stream will not come on line until the 4th quarter of 2017 so 2018 budget will be up in the air, not quite sure what they will have. By 2019 budget all will be well.
    August 04, 2016, 09:27:17 PM
  • Valor7: You mean that tax that the Commissioners would not put on the ballot for so many years? Strange things happened when the citizens got a chance to vote on that issue.
    August 03, 2016, 06:43:06 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Back up is now available withe the new tax..
    August 03, 2016, 05:01:35 PM
  • Valor7: Thanks a lot Ladies!!
    July 29, 2016, 01:16:13 PM
  • littlebit: ((*(*&
    July 27, 2016, 03:47:52 PM
  • ~kathy~: lol
    July 15, 2016, 09:34:56 AM
  • Valor7: A guy could get killed around here while waiting for backup!
    July 13, 2016, 07:31:58 PM
  • Lepard LLC: You are not alone..
    July 13, 2016, 07:28:53 PM
  • Valor7: I just hate it when I talk to myself!!!!
    July 08, 2016, 12:54:09 PM
  • Valor7: I could have worded that better, we talked details, options, the pros and cons of each, in  order to arrive at the best ballot language to present to the voters. Hope that makes this clearer.
    April 15, 2016, 06:36:14 PM
  • Valor7: sorry about the typos still working with just one arm in action
    April 13, 2016, 01:10:42 PM
  • Valor7: Yes and no. We talked details and options until we were blue in the face but I never heardbring it over, it was always the time was not right for the issue to pass. Glad to see the time in now right and I for one shall vote yes on the ballot. I would urge all others to do the sameour county is busting at the seams crimewise and no matter how many bad guys we send off there always seems to someone to replace them. The Sheriff's Office needs the help.
    April 13, 2016, 01:08:35 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Is that true Valor? Did he ask you what you wanted?
    March 01, 2016, 04:55:37 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Gene Newkirk Rick I have waited for a Sheriff to bring it to me on what he wanted. I have pushed Mr long for a while to get it to me. He told me he was close to having or done. Now hopefully the people will get to decide on it. I spoke with Steve about this a few times.
    March 01, 2016, 04:54:54 AM
  • Kimberly: Wow- I have a new name..........
    February 23, 2016, 10:25:15 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Works on mine, improvements are being done here. I may kick back into her a lot and post but working on different technologies right now. Seeing how things interact.
    January 18, 2016, 09:01:20 AM
  • Valor7: Yes it is working. If you need a laugh the wife showed me how to correctly use the silly thing.
    January 04, 2016, 05:32:59 PM
  • Valor7: Think so, mine is trying to work but it is now user and password protected and I dont know mine
    December 17, 2015, 01:32:16 PM
  • "DJ": Is there still a working android app for the PCSD
    December 14, 2015, 08:14:53 PM

Author Topic: Class 3 Weapons  (Read 7505 times)

Offline freethinker

• My boston - emerSIN
    • View Profile
Class 3 Weapons
« on: March 11, 2009, 08:35:15 AM »

Share/Bookmark

Fort Wood Hotel

Boards

Devils Elbow

Attractions

Sports

St. Robert

Waynesville

PC Daily

Dixon

Menu Guide

Fun Links

Homework

Crocker

Fort Wood

Swedeborg

Big Piney

Laquey

Classifieds

Restaurants

Richland

Fort  Hotels

What are the laws concerning Class 3 Firearms in Missouri? Which Class 3 weapons are legal to own in this state? And what are fee's associated with owning these type of weapons? I have found contradicting information on this matter and would like to get it cleared up.

More particularly a short-barreled, semi-automatic rifle.

I've read they are completely illegal, legal to transfer to civilians, and only legal if you have a collector license. I'm a tad bit confused...

If it is true that you need a collectors license, what are the requirements and fees associated with getting one? 

I only own one weapon at the moment, but I intend to build myself a small collection of various weapons. I'm not looking for anything that is fully automatic, but some of the weapons I have my eye on fall into the Class 3 category because of the length of the barrel. I fancy myself a firearms enthusiast, and meet all of the legal requirements to own/purchase/conceal a weapon in any state. I'd like to know exactly what I can legally own in MO, and what the fees/licenses associated with them will cost me.

Offline Vado Del Rio

• View Profile
Re: Class 3 Weapons
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2009, 09:19:04 AM »
Here's a link to get you started:

http://www.guntrustlawyer.com/2008/06/missouri-mo-what-nfa-class-3-f.html

I believe there's a pretty stiff initial backround check and transfer fees per class 3 item.

Offline freethinker

• My boston - emerSIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2009, 10:09:41 AM »
thanks, but I had already looked at that one. that was one that said you had to be a collector.  it didn't really expand on what qualifies someone as a collector, nor what sort of fees are associated with it.  but, like i said, another site like that one said they were illegal to own period.

i'm only slightly concerned about the fees, and thats if they prove to be extremely outrageous. i can pass any background check the need to me take. hopefully they can just view the [extensive] one the government did a couple years ago when i had to get my new clearance,..  make it quicker.

i just wanna get a rough idea of what it's going to cost me initially and then yearly, before I decide I'm going to go ahead with it...

Offline freethinker

• My boston - emerSIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2009, 10:10:46 AM »
i want one of these. for starters anyway.....

Offline David Day

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2009, 11:56:37 AM »
I have sent an inquiry to House Research but I would think any gun dealer in MO would have that information at hand if you are in a hurry.

Dave
Political Website:  www.StateRepDay.com
Back Roads Recording:  www.backroadsrecording.com
Band Website:  www.MFNband.net
Twitter:  http://twitter.com/RepDay

Offline mark

• http://www.gayalpinesurvival.com/
  • Proud Father
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2009, 12:08:00 PM »
  Going squirrel hunting?
We are not human beings having a spiritual experience.
We are spiritual beings having a human experience.
~Teilhard de Chardin

Offline matrsnot

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2009, 12:29:27 PM »
A C&R FFL is all that is required.  YOu can go to www.atf.gov to get the information.  Cost is $30 for three years.  There is a standared $200 tax for each Class III weapon you buy and you must wait until ATF approves the purchase before you can take possession.  Recently suppressors were made legal in this state also.  they are considered Class III also.  When obtaining a Class III weapon, you must also have permission form the CLEO (Chief Law Enforcement Officer) in your area.  Without that, you are SOL.  Hope that helps some Freethinker.

Offline David Day

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2009, 01:40:12 PM »
I think matrsnot got the answer for you...I should have known he would have that info.  I will cancel the request of inquiry with the folks downstairs.

Thanks Manrsnot.

Dave

Offline matrsnot

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2009, 01:54:20 PM »
Wasn't trying to steal your thunder Dave.  since I have one of those FFL's, thought it would save you time is all.

Offline freethinker

• My boston - emerSIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2009, 02:14:35 PM »
A C&R FFL is all that is required.  YOu can go to www.atf.gov to get the information.  Cost is $30 for three years.  There is a standared $200 tax for each Class III weapon you buy and you must wait until ATF approves the purchase before you can take possession.  Recently suppressors were made legal in this state also.  they are considered Class III also.  When obtaining a Class III weapon, you must also have permission form the CLEO (Chief Law Enforcement Officer) in your area.  Without that, you are SOL.  Hope that helps some Freethinker.

thanks for the info matrsnot :)

is that $200 tax a one time payment, or will i have to pay it every year?

a silencer [real or not] added to a barrel counts as barrel length, correct? 

Offline David Day

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2009, 02:18:15 PM »
Wasn't trying to steal your thunder Dave.  since I have one of those FFL's, thought it would save you time is all.

You didn't at all...it did help.  I know the research folks also appreciate it!

Thanks agian,
Dave

Offline freethinker

• My boston - emerSIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2009, 02:39:48 PM »
n/m matrsnot, but thanks again for the info.

it took me this long of checking the atf website to go "wait a sec. what are you doin? why don't you just call nick... he friggin WORKS for the atf.. in KC nonetheless..."

i work entirely too many hours a day over here... completely forgot about my highschool buddy in the atf...   :-[

i need a beer...

oh. yeah. i'm sooo getting a silencer for my pistol now... 

Offline freethinker

• My boston - emerSIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2009, 02:47:19 PM »
  Going squirrel hunting?

haha, naaaah. i don't hunt. i can't bring myself to shoot a living thing that isn't threatening to do me harm... the war ruined hunting for me.    if you gave those squirrels some guns though...  lol

i just love to go shoot. any and everything i can get my hands on.

it sucks over here in iraq. im surrounded by weapons, training soldiers on all sorts of machine guns, and i haven't had the opportunity to fire a single round yet...  it's like a kid in a candy store with no money to spend..   

Offline matrsnot

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2009, 04:59:52 PM »
It is a one time tax.  Kind of.  You pay the tax to buy the gun.  You also pay the tax when/if you sell the weapon.  The silencer is an attachment and not considered part of barrel length.

Offline bigedd

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2009, 07:46:45 PM »
Not withstanding all the excellent information that has flowed through this string, but a semi-automatic rifle is not a class 3 weapon.

Offline darrellmaurina

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2009, 11:25:58 AM »
Hey, this is part of what I like about rural Missouri. Even our vocal local liberals are supporters of buying advanced weaponry and firearms! And I'll give you a lot of credit, Freethinker -- I may not like very much of what you say here, but if you're over in Iraq training our troops to handle weapons, you deserve our thanks for your efforts.

I have no interest in gun ownership, but I have a lot of interest in the Second Amendment. There's no logical reason, once the courts overrule the plain meaning of the Second Amendment, that they won't start coming after the First Amendment -- and in 20 years of trying, I have yet to find a liberal pro-gun-ban reporter who can give me a good reason that logic isn't correct.

What are the laws concerning Class 3 Firearms in Missouri? Which Class 3 weapons are legal to own in this state? And what are fee's associated with owning these type of weapons? I have found contradicting information on this matter and would like to get it cleared up.

More particularly a short-barreled, semi-automatic rifle.

I've read they are completely illegal, legal to transfer to civilians, and only legal if you have a collector license. I'm a tad bit confused...

If it is true that you need a collectors license, what are the requirements and fees associated with getting one? 

I only own one weapon at the moment, but I intend to build myself a small collection of various weapons. I'm not looking for anything that is fully automatic, but some of the weapons I have my eye on fall into the Class 3 category because of the length of the barrel. I fancy myself a firearms enthusiast, and meet all of the legal requirements to own/purchase/conceal a weapon in any state. I'd like to know exactly what I can legally own in MO, and what the fees/licenses associated with them will cost me.
Darrell Todd Maurina
Check out the Pulaski County Daily News online newspaper at
http://www.pulaskicountyweb.com
Cell: (573) 433.6733 * FAX: (573) 774-2349
Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/darrellmaurina/
Follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/darrellmaurina/

Offline freethinker

• My boston - emerSIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2009, 12:33:13 PM »
Not withstanding all the excellent information that has flowed through this string, but a semi-automatic rifle is not a class 3 weapon.

true. but a semi-automatic rifle can be considered a class 3 weapon, depending on a couple things.

if the barrel of the rifle is less then 16 inches, or the over-all length of the weapon is less then 26 inches, it's considered a short-barreled rifle [SBR] and falls in to the NFA category [class 3].

Offline freethinker

• My boston - emerSIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2009, 12:43:16 PM »
Hey, this is part of what I like about rural Missouri. Even our vocal local liberals are supporters of buying advanced weaponry and firearms! And I'll give you a lot of credit, Freethinker -- I may not like very much of what you say here, but if you're over in Iraq training our troops to handle weapons, you deserve our thanks for your efforts.

hehe. thank you darrell, and it's my pleasure. i got myself hurt enough where i couldn't perform the job anymore, and like the saying goes in sports: "those who can't, teach".  if i could, I'd be fighting right alongside them still...

i really dont consider myself a liberal. i'm a registered independent. i realize i am more liberal then you on some things and will probably always be viewed as such by the people around here, but there are plenty of other things i'm sure we agree on full-heartedly. i'm a red-blooded american who loves his country and will defend my family and neighbors to the death. but, i dont affiliate myself with democrats or republicans [i despise them equally], and come to my own decisions on each issue. [/i]