Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • littlebit: Makes sense.
    July 16, 2017, 04:40:28 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Boards will stay open for a place people can find history information longer. I am not allowing anyone to sign up for now because of so many foreginers just wanting to promote their business..
    December 10, 2016, 05:10:27 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Not sure why didn't look, I may be shutting down these message boards..
    November 17, 2016, 12:42:43 AM
  • ~kathy~: rick why is the timestamp showing up a day in advance?
    September 13, 2016, 12:27:46 AM
  • Valor7: What I tried to say is that the actual money would not be there that quick. But a loan against that would work if they are willing to do that.
    August 08, 2016, 01:51:51 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Why so long before it comes online? 911 took out a loan or bond with the known guarantee payment and began building..
    August 08, 2016, 07:46:34 AM
  • Valor7: Actually no it is not, a dependable Revenue stream will not come on line until the 4th quarter of 2017 so 2018 budget will be up in the air, not quite sure what they will have. By 2019 budget all will be well.
    August 04, 2016, 09:27:17 PM
  • Valor7: You mean that tax that the Commissioners would not put on the ballot for so many years? Strange things happened when the citizens got a chance to vote on that issue.
    August 03, 2016, 06:43:06 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Back up is now available withe the new tax..
    August 03, 2016, 05:01:35 PM
  • Valor7: Thanks a lot Ladies!!
    July 29, 2016, 01:16:13 PM
  • littlebit: ((*(*&
    July 27, 2016, 03:47:52 PM
  • ~kathy~: lol
    July 15, 2016, 09:34:56 AM
  • Valor7: A guy could get killed around here while waiting for backup!
    July 13, 2016, 07:31:58 PM
  • Lepard LLC: You are not alone..
    July 13, 2016, 07:28:53 PM
  • Valor7: I just hate it when I talk to myself!!!!
    July 08, 2016, 12:54:09 PM
  • Valor7: I could have worded that better, we talked details, options, the pros and cons of each, in  order to arrive at the best ballot language to present to the voters. Hope that makes this clearer.
    April 15, 2016, 06:36:14 PM
  • Valor7: sorry about the typos still working with just one arm in action
    April 13, 2016, 01:10:42 PM
  • Valor7: Yes and no. We talked details and options until we were blue in the face but I never heardbring it over, it was always the time was not right for the issue to pass. Glad to see the time in now right and I for one shall vote yes on the ballot. I would urge all others to do the sameour county is busting at the seams crimewise and no matter how many bad guys we send off there always seems to someone to replace them. The Sheriff's Office needs the help.
    April 13, 2016, 01:08:35 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Is that true Valor? Did he ask you what you wanted?
    March 01, 2016, 04:55:37 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Gene Newkirk Rick I have waited for a Sheriff to bring it to me on what he wanted. I have pushed Mr long for a while to get it to me. He told me he was close to having or done. Now hopefully the people will get to decide on it. I spoke with Steve about this a few times.
    March 01, 2016, 04:54:54 AM
  • Kimberly: Wow- I have a new name..........
    February 23, 2016, 10:25:15 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Works on mine, improvements are being done here. I may kick back into her a lot and post but working on different technologies right now. Seeing how things interact.
    January 18, 2016, 09:01:20 AM
  • Valor7: Yes it is working. If you need a laugh the wife showed me how to correctly use the silly thing.
    January 04, 2016, 05:32:59 PM
  • Valor7: Think so, mine is trying to work but it is now user and password protected and I dont know mine
    December 17, 2015, 01:32:16 PM
  • "DJ": Is there still a working android app for the PCSD
    December 14, 2015, 08:14:53 PM

Author Topic: what's va's shineski going to do about it?  (Read 7593 times)

Offline fish

• View Profile
what's va's shineski going to do about it?
« on: March 16, 2009, 04:58:15 PM »

Share/Bookmark

Fort Wood Hotel

Boards

Devils Elbow

Attractions

Sports

St. Robert

Waynesville

PC Daily

Dixon

Menu Guide

Fun Links

Homework

Crocker

Fort Wood

Swedeborg

Big Piney

Laquey

Classifieds

Restaurants

Richland

Fort  Hotels

March 16, 2009 | TDC | Comments 0     Obama administration’s proposal to shortchange our nation’s veterans! Veterans Affairs Secretary Eric Shinseki recently confirmed that the Obama administration is considering a proposal to bill veterans’ private health insurance for treatment of service-connected conditions. The VA currently bills veterans’ private insurance for treatment of non-service connected conditions and this proposal would extend that practice to service-connected conditions. This proposed policy is abominable and demonstrates a fundamental lack of understanding of the price our men and women in uniform have already paid by the time they become veterans in need of healthcare. It is undeniably the VA’s moral and ethical obligation to pay for treatment of veterans’ service related injuries, disabilities, and disease. For the Obama administration to try to establish an additional revenue stream at the expense of our nations’ veterans rather than curtailing their massive spending is disgraceful.

http://www.thedailychange.com/

Offline What_The?

• View Profile
Re: what's va's shineski going to do about it?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2009, 05:25:57 PM »
More proof that kowtowing to the lies of doctor's during the last 25 years has resulted in health care in the US costing Americans $2 TRILLION per year with some of the WORST results.
"There are plenty of good reasons for fighting, but no good reason ever to hate without reservation, to imagine that God almighty Himself hates with you, too. Where's evil? It's that large part of every man that wants to hate without limit, that wants to hate with God on its side." - Kurt Vonnegut

Offline fknarmyguyretired

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2009, 05:50:09 PM »
OK I didn't read the article but what if the Vet doesn't have other health ins?

Offline darrellmaurina

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2009, 07:37:45 PM »
More proof that kowtowing to the lies of doctor's during the last 25 years has resulted in health care in the US costing Americans $2 TRILLION per year with some of the WORST results.

I'm not sure why you believe America has some of the worst results in health care. What countries are you comparing us to? Ones with socialized medicine where health care is rationed and their citizens can't get needed health care, whether it's kidney dialysis, coronary bypass surgery, or CAT scans? (Half as many Canadians as Americans get dialysis, and only a third as many Britons. Americans are five times as likely than Britons to be able to get the coronary bypass surgery they need, and are three to four times as likely than Canadians.) Perhaps some will say that statistic just shows that Americans are more willing to do surgery. Well, among American women diagnosed with breast cancer, only about one fifth die of that cancer, while a third of French and German women diagnosed with breast cancer die and half die in Britain and New Zealand. Among American men diagnosed with prostate cancer, only about one fifth die of that disease, compared to a quarter of Canadian men, half of French men, and more than half of British men.

Yes, there are problems with the American medical system, and some of them are extremely serious. But the solution is putting capitalism back in the medical system, not turning it from halfway socialized medicine to full-blown socialized medicine.

For those who don't believe me, read this report by the Cato Institute, a libertarian "think tank" in Washington:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/2341873/CATO-Five-Myths-of-Socialized-Medicine-John-Goodman

(And by the way, there are a lot of positions of Cato I don't agree with; I selected the Cato Institute because a number of its positions on social policy are actually quite a bit more liberal than conservative. They're fairly well respected on both sides of the aisle for their research.)

And that doesn't even begin to address the issue of what to do with medical research. American pharmceutical companies are producing the drugs that are used -- literally -- by the entire world. That kind of research and development is extremely expensive. Without the American quasi-free market, we would not have most of the medical advances of the last half-century.

If you don't like the American medical system, feel free to move somewhere else. You'll probably die quicker there, however, and you're certain to pay far higher taxes for that privilege.
Darrell Todd Maurina
Check out the Pulaski County Daily News online newspaper at
http://www.pulaskicountyweb.com
Cell: (573) 433.6733 * FAX: (573) 774-2349
Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/darrellmaurina/
Follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/darrellmaurina/

Offline fish

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2009, 02:41:28 AM »
this is about military folks having their insurance billed for service connected disabilities and injuries. nobama continues to insult the military for their service!

President won't budge on veteran insurance proposal (Troops pay for combat wounds)
This Ain't Hell ^ | March 15, 2009 | John Lilaya

President won’t budge on veteran insurance proposal

March 16th, 2009
Regular readers will remember the exchange I wrote about last week in which Eric Shinseki the new VA director proposed a system to force veterans to buy insurance to treat their service-connected injuries from a Stars and Stripes article;

The administration is considering charging veterans’ health insurance plans earned through civilian employment for VA’s costs in treating service-connected injuries or ailments.

The VA already taps “third party” insurance plans for treatment of non-service-related conditions. Collections in fiscal 2008 totaled $2.4 billion. The VA expects to collect $2.5 billion this year. The total could jump to $3 billion next year if care of service-connected conditions are included.

Shinseki emphasized that this is only a consideration and not yet part of Obama’s budget request. But members of the veterans’ committees wanted Shinseki to know they won’t support the proposal.

I made mention to some people that it was a done deal in the collective mind of the Obama Administration. I was told it wasn’t - that I was over-reacting. Well, look at this from the American Legion today;

The leader of the nation’s largest veterans organization says he is “deeply disappointed and concerned” after a meeting with President Obama today to discuss a proposal to force private insurance companies to pay for the treatment of military veterans who have suffered service-connected disabilities and injuries. The Obama administration recently revealed a plan to require private insurance carriers to reimburse the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) in such cases.

“It became apparent during our discussion today that the President intends to move forward with this unreasonable plan,” said Commander David K. Rehbein of The American Legion. “He says he is looking to generate $540-million by this method, but refused to hear arguments about the moral and government-avowed obligations that would be compromised by it.“

The Commander, clearly angered as he emerged from the session said, “This reimbursement plan would be inconsistent with the mandate ‘ to care for him who shall have borne the battle’ given that the United States government sent members of the armed forces into harm’s way, and not private insurance companies. I say again that The American Legion does not and will not support any plan that seeks to bill a veteran for treatment of a service connected disability at the very agency that was created to treat the unique need of America’s veterans!”

Commander Rehbein was among a group of senior officials from veterans service organizations joining the President, White House Chief of Staff Rahm Emmanuel, Secretary of Veterans Affairs Eric Shinseki and Steven Kosiak, the overseer of defense spending at the Office of Management and Budget (OMB). The group’s early afternoon conversation at The White House was precipitated by a letter of protest presented to the President earlier this month. The letter, co-signed by Commander Rehbein and the heads of ten colleague organizations, read, in part, ” There is simply no logical explanation for billing a veteran’s personal insurance for care that the VA has a responsibility to provide. While we understand the fiscal difficulties this country faces right now, placing the burden of those fiscal problems on the men and women who have already sacrificed a great deal for this country is unconscionable.”

Commander Rehbein reiterated points made last week in testimony to both House and Senate Veterans’ Affairs Committees. It was stated then that The American Legion believes that the reimbursement plan would be inconsistent with the mandate that VA treat service-connected injuries and disabilities given that the United States government sends members of the armed forces into harm’s way, and not private insurance companies. The proposed requirement for these companies to reimburse the VA would not only be unfair, says the Legion, but would have an adverse impact on service-connected disabled veterans and their families. The Legion argues that, depending on the severity of the medical conditions involved, maximum insurance coverage limits could be reached through treatment of the veteran’s condition alone. That would leave the rest of the family without health care benefits. The Legion also points out that many health insurance companies require deductibles to be paid before any benefits are covered. Additionally, the Legion is concerned that private insurance premiums would be elevated to cover service-connected disabled veterans and their families, especially if the veterans are self-employed or employed in small businesses unable to negotiate more favorable across-the-board insurance policy pricing. The American Legion also believes that some employers, especially small businesses, would be reluctant to hire veterans with service-connected disabilities due to the negative impact their employment might have on obtaining and financing company health care benefits.

“I got the distinct impression that the only hope of this plan not being enacted,” said Commander Rehbein, “is for an alternative plan to be developed that would generate the desired $540-million in revenue. The American Legion has long advocated for Medicare reimbursement to VA for the treatment of veterans. This, we believe, would more easily meet the President’s financial goal. We will present that idea in an anticipated conference call with White House Chief of Staff Rahm Emmanuel in the near future.

“I only hope the administration will really listen to us then. This matter has far more serious ramifications than the President is imagining,” concluded the Commander.

Offline matrsnot

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2009, 02:49:41 PM »
What_The? you are way out of your depth on this one.  We send them to combat and expect them to pay for rehabilitation and other medical expenses.  Only a true leftist like Obama could come up with such a plan to screw over the veterans of this country.

President's (Not my words) Plan to Charge Wounded Heroes for Treatment

I knew they were pushing this, but it really PISSES ME OFF TO SEE IT THIS FAR ADVANCED!!!!!!!!! What a low life piece of crap! Expect a huge drop in reenlistmen numbers and in new enlistment. This is what he wants anyway, no military so someone else can easliy come in and attempt to take us over.

Mon Mar 16, 5:49 pm ET

To: POLITICAL EDITORS

Contact: Craig Roberts of The American Legion, +1-202-263-2982 Office, +1-202-406-0887 Cell

http://news.yahoo.com/s/usnw/20090316/pl_usnw/the_american_legion_strongly_opposed_to_president_s_plan_to_charge_wounded_heroes_for_treatment

WASHINGTON, March 16 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- The leader of the nation's largest veterans organization says he is "deeply disappointed and concerned" after a meeting with President Obama today to discuss a proposal to force private insurance companies to pay for the treatment of military veterans who have suffered service-connected disabilities and injuries. The Obama administration recently revealed a plan to require private insurance carriers to reimburse the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) in such cases.

"It became apparent during our discussion today that the President intends to move forward with this unreasonable plan," said Commander David K. Rehbein of The American Legion. "He says he is looking to generate $540-million by this method, but refused to hear arguments about the moral and government-avowed obligations that would be compromised by it."

The Commander, clearly angered as he emerged from the session said, "This reimbursement plan would be inconsistent with the mandate ' to care for him who shall have borne the battle' given that the United States government sent members of the armed forces into harm's way, and not private insurance companies. I say again that The American Legion does not and will not support any plan that seeks to bill a veteran for treatment of a service connected disability at the very agency that was created to treat the unique need of America's veterans!"

Commander Rehbein was among a group of senior officials from veterans service organizations joining the President, White House Chief of Staff Rahm Emmanuel, Secretary of Veterans Affairs Eric Shinseki and Steven Kosiak, the overseer of defense spending at the Office of Management and Budget (OMB). The group's early afternoon conversation at The White House was precipitated by a letter of protest presented to the President earlier this month. The letter, co-signed by Commander Rehbein and the heads of ten colleague organizations, read, in part, " There is simply no logical explanation for billing a veteran's personal insurance for care that the VA has a responsibility to provide. While we understand the fiscal difficulties this country faces right now, placing the burden of those fiscal problems on the men and women who have already sacrificed a great deal for this country is unconscionable."

Commander Rehbein reiterated points made last week in testimony to both House and Senate Veterans' Affairs Committees. It was stated then that The American Legion believes that the reimbursement plan would be inconsistent with the mandate that VA treat service-connected injuries and disabilities given that the United States government sends members of the armed forces into harm's way, and not private insurance companies. The proposed requirement for these companies to reimburse the VA would not only be unfair, says the Legion, but would have an adverse impact on service-connected disabled veterans and their families. The Legion argues that, depending on the severity of the medical conditions involved, maximum insurance coverage limits could be reached through treatment of the veteran's condition alone. That would leave the rest of the family without health care benefits. The Legion also points out that many health insurance companies require deductibles to be paid before any benefits are covered. Additionally, the Legion is concerned that private insurance premiums would be elevated to cover service-connected disabled veterans and their families, especially if the veterans are self-employed or employed in small businesses unable to negotiate more favorable across-the-board insurance policy pricing. The American Legion also believes that some employers, especially small businesses, would be reluctant to hire veterans with service-connected disabilities due to the negative impact their employment might have on obtaining and financing company health care benefits.

"I got the distinct impression that the only hope of this plan not being enacted," said Commander Rehbein, "is for an alternative plan to be developed that would generate the desired $540-million in revenue. The American Legion has long advocated for Medicare reimbursement to VA for the treatment of veterans. This, we believe, would more easily meet the President's financial goal. We will present that idea in an anticipated conference call with White House Chief of Staff Rahm Emmanuel in the near future.

"I only hope the administration will really listen to us then. This matter has far more serious ramifications than the President is imagining," concluded the Commander.

Offline fish

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2009, 02:04:18 AM »
you probably see how this would affect vets more than most matrsnot.

Offline darrellmaurina

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2009, 03:55:53 AM »
This surprises me and I suspect that somebody has given President Obama poor advice, or perhaps failed to advise him on traditional Democratic Party stances with regard to veterans.

Partly due to sincere ideological differences about the role of the government in health care but also partly due to a need to provide political cover for defense cuts or other political positions that will be unpopular with conservatives and the veterans community, Democrats have historically been far more supportive of expanding or retaining veterans benefits, especially disability and insurance benefits.

Even Hillary Clinton has been a major supporter of veterans' medical care, partly for ideological reasons (TRICARE was intended to be a precursor of future civilian single-payer models of universal health insurance) and partly because I think she really does believe the government has an obligation to its veterans.

For President Obama to take this stance is virtually to guarantee a split within the Democratic Party's congressional delegation and to pick an unnecessary fight with many constituents -- especially the older blue-collar veterans who live in northern states and have union ties -- who traditionally and reliably vote for the Democratic Party.

It will be interesting to see how Rep. Ike Skelton decides to act on this. I'm assuming he'll oppose President Obama -- he pretty much has to, given his constituency -- but there is a big difference between a "no" vote and aggressively fighting behind the scenes and publicly against the president and (if it comes to that) the House Democratic leadership.
Darrell Todd Maurina
Check out the Pulaski County Daily News online newspaper at
http://www.pulaskicountyweb.com
Cell: (573) 433.6733 * FAX: (573) 774-2349
Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/darrellmaurina/
Follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/darrellmaurina/

Offline matrsnot

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2009, 02:30:34 PM »
Thanks Darrell.  I suppose if this happens, I will see a lot of it.  There will be just a few veterans up in arms about it, myself among them.  This is just completely WRONG.

Offline fish

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2009, 01:30:25 AM »
 why the change of mind I wonder??

Pelosi: Obama Scraps Idea of Billing Veterans’ Private Insurance for Treating Service-Related Injuries Wednesday, March 18, 2009 By Fred Lucas and Michael Chapman

(CNSNews.com) – House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) announced on Wednesday afternoon that President Barack Obama is shelving a controversial proposal that would have forced the private health insurance of veterans to pay for their war- and service-related injuries.

“President Obama listened to the genuine concerns expressed by the veteran service organizations regarding the option of billing service-connected injuries to veterans’ insurance companies,” said Pelosi. “Based on the respect President Obama has for veterans and the principle concerns of our veteran leaders, the president made the decision that combat wounds should not be billed through their insurance policies.”

Pelosi made her comments at a meeting with veterans’ service organizations at the Capitol in Washington, D.C. After her announcement, the group gave her a standing ovation.

The proposal, which was discussed in recent hearings of the Veterans Affairs committees in the House and Senate and in the House Budget Committee, would have shifted more of the cost for service-related injuries from the government--through the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA)--to the private, third-party insurance plans held by many veterans.

Currently, the VA covers the full cost of medical ailments related to military service and bills third-party insurers only for non-service related ailments.

(Excerpt) Read more at cnsnews.com ...

Offline SilverFox

• Go to your profile and put something here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2009, 02:00:03 AM »
I don't think we could expect any better from an individual who has never worn a uniform of any kind to include the boyscouts. I fully believe this is a fight that he'll loose and quite frankly I heard this had already been dropped for the time being. As for the new VA chief, I think the jury is still out on this bird. If anything really worries me, is he is an Obama appointee. Again as a twenty-six year veteran I have seen the worst and the best of some administrations and by far this is the worst. Veteran's have never gotten a fair shake, quite frankly if I had known what kind of treatment we would receive, I would probably have went to Canada to.

Offline matrsnot

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2009, 03:24:21 PM »
With you there Bill64.  Me too.  This administration is worse than Carter and this one is just getting started in ruining this country and screwing veterans.  Winston, you remind me of your mentor, Obama.  Never served and have absolutley no understanding of what the veterans have gone through,,,,nor do you care. 

Offline shadylane

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2009, 04:08:03 AM »
March 16, 2009 | TDC | Comments 0     Obama administration’s proposal to shortchange our nation’s veterans! Veterans Affairs Secretary Eric Shinseki recently confirmed that the Obama administration is considering a proposal to bill veterans’ private health insurance for treatment of service-connected conditions. The VA currently bills veterans’ private insurance for treatment of non-service connected conditions and this proposal would extend that practice to service-connected conditions. This proposed policy is abominable and demonstrates a fundamental lack of understanding of the price our men and women in uniform have already paid by the time they become veterans in need of healthcare. It is undeniably the VA’s moral and ethical obligation to pay for treatment of veterans’ service related injuries, disabilities, and disease. For the Obama administration to try to establish an additional revenue stream at the expense of our nations’ veterans rather than curtailing their massive spending is disgraceful.

http://www.thedailychange.com/

The insurance companies are charging veterans full price for health care, then having the VA foot the bill. Either they pay up or give the veterans a discount.
"The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?"

Offline matrsnot

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2009, 11:36:45 AM »
NOT for Service Connected Disabilities.

Offline shadylane

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2009, 01:33:45 PM »
Why shouldn't my insurance have to reimburse the VA? I'm paying for insurance for me and my family. They don't give me a discount for being a veteran. So let them pay. This isn't about veterans, its about the insurance companies cheating the VA.
"The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?"

Offline fish

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2009, 04:20:42 PM »
so you won't mind an increase in premiums due to the reimbursements shady?

Offline shadylane

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2009, 07:12:10 AM »
I'm already paying full price. How can my premiums go up? Unless the insurance company wants to charge disabled veterans extra.