Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • nursejdavis: also the time is wayyy of its only 930 pm???
    March 14, 2019, 02:29:18 AM
  • nursejdavis: I am looking for a few Press Releases from Kevin Hillman that have disappeared.... not sure why they would be hidden from the public unless they contain narcs who have gotten their charges dropped for their cooperation. Seems the same Press Releases were also deleted from Facebook. Thanks for any help in locating these
    March 14, 2019, 02:24:50 AM
  • littlebit: Makes sense.
    July 16, 2017, 04:40:28 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Boards will stay open for a place people can find history information longer. I am not allowing anyone to sign up for now because of so many foreginers just wanting to promote their business..
    December 10, 2016, 05:10:27 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Not sure why didn't look, I may be shutting down these message boards..
    November 17, 2016, 12:42:43 AM
  • ~kathy~: rick why is the timestamp showing up a day in advance?
    September 13, 2016, 12:27:46 AM
  • Valor7: What I tried to say is that the actual money would not be there that quick. But a loan against that would work if they are willing to do that.
    August 08, 2016, 01:51:51 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Why so long before it comes online? 911 took out a loan or bond with the known guarantee payment and began building..
    August 08, 2016, 07:46:34 AM
  • Valor7: Actually no it is not, a dependable Revenue stream will not come on line until the 4th quarter of 2017 so 2018 budget will be up in the air, not quite sure what they will have. By 2019 budget all will be well.
    August 04, 2016, 09:27:17 PM
  • Valor7: You mean that tax that the Commissioners would not put on the ballot for so many years? Strange things happened when the citizens got a chance to vote on that issue.
    August 03, 2016, 06:43:06 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Back up is now available withe the new tax..
    August 03, 2016, 05:01:35 PM
  • Valor7: Thanks a lot Ladies!!
    July 29, 2016, 01:16:13 PM
  • littlebit: ((*(*&
    July 27, 2016, 03:47:52 PM
  • ~kathy~: lol
    July 15, 2016, 09:34:56 AM
  • Valor7: A guy could get killed around here while waiting for backup!
    July 13, 2016, 07:31:58 PM
  • Lepard LLC: You are not alone..
    July 13, 2016, 07:28:53 PM
  • Valor7: I just hate it when I talk to myself!!!!
    July 08, 2016, 12:54:09 PM
  • Valor7: I could have worded that better, we talked details, options, the pros and cons of each, in  order to arrive at the best ballot language to present to the voters. Hope that makes this clearer.
    April 15, 2016, 06:36:14 PM
  • Valor7: sorry about the typos still working with just one arm in action
    April 13, 2016, 01:10:42 PM
  • Valor7: Yes and no. We talked details and options until we were blue in the face but I never heardbring it over, it was always the time was not right for the issue to pass. Glad to see the time in now right and I for one shall vote yes on the ballot. I would urge all others to do the sameour county is busting at the seams crimewise and no matter how many bad guys we send off there always seems to someone to replace them. The Sheriff's Office needs the help.
    April 13, 2016, 01:08:35 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Is that true Valor? Did he ask you what you wanted?
    March 01, 2016, 04:55:37 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Gene Newkirk Rick I have waited for a Sheriff to bring it to me on what he wanted. I have pushed Mr long for a while to get it to me. He told me he was close to having or done. Now hopefully the people will get to decide on it. I spoke with Steve about this a few times.
    March 01, 2016, 04:54:54 AM
  • Kimberly: Wow- I have a new name..........
    February 23, 2016, 10:25:15 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Works on mine, improvements are being done here. I may kick back into her a lot and post but working on different technologies right now. Seeing how things interact.
    January 18, 2016, 09:01:20 AM
  • Valor7: Yes it is working. If you need a laugh the wife showed me how to correctly use the silly thing.
    January 04, 2016, 05:32:59 PM

Author Topic: Vermont Legalizes sam-sex marriage.  (Read 3036 times)

Offline freethinker

• My boston - emerSIN
    • View Profile
Vermont Legalizes sam-sex marriage.
« on: April 08, 2009, 07:00:43 AM »

Share/Bookmark

Fort Wood Hotel

Boards

Devils Elbow

Attractions

Sports

St. Robert

Waynesville

PC Daily

Dixon

Menu Guide

Fun Links

Homework

Crocker

Fort Wood

Swedeborg

Big Piney

Laquey

Classifieds

Restaurants

Richland

Fort  Hotels

"This historic vote in the Vermont Legislature reminds us of the incredible progress being made toward equality," said Joe Solmonese, Human Rights Campaign president, in the statement. "Less than five years ago, lesbian and gay couples began marrying in Massachusetts. Now, with the Iowa court decision last Friday and today's vote in Vermont, there will be four states recognizing the right to marry for loving, committed lesbian and gay couples."

http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/04/07/same.sex.marriage/index.html

---------------
"Marriage"    -   It's just a word.  A word that has been used for years to legally define the union of two people. A word that the religious insitutions in this country have decided belongs to them, and them only. A word that has become the center issue concerning the civil and equal rights of our citizens.
A freaking word.
Seriously?

Most people admit they are not opposed to same-sex couples enjoying the same benefits under the law as heterosexual couples, even those who are opposed to homosexuality in general. But they prefer to use the term civil union to describe the joining of same-sex couples, they are "different" after all.

There are multiple problems with this line of thinking. The core of the issue is not solely the demarcation of the people, this will happen no matter the term used. This is a battle by the religious institution in this country to hold on to a word they feel is special to the ceremony and practice of thier faith. This battle will ultimately end in one of two ways.
Homosexuals will be allowed to "marry" and recieve all of the benefits under the law appreciated by heterosexuals.
Or, the government will no longer use the term "marriage" in the legal jargon used when determining who qualifies for benefits awarded to the spouse of a person under the law.

The second outcome is highly unlikely but, I believe, a rather quick fix. It will ensure homosexuals receive the equal consideration under the law promised to them in our country's constitution. It also ends the debate that is causing these consitutional gaurantees from being infringed upon by allowing the religious community to hold on to the word "marriage" and what it signifies according to thier religion.

A battle of words has become a battle for civil rights that could be completely avoided. Unfortunately people are either unwilling to compromise, or insist on complicating the issue by interjecting their personal moral objections instead of focusing on the underlying cause : a word.

Offline freethinker

• My boston - emerSIN
    • View Profile
Re: Vermont Legalizes sam-sex marriage.
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2009, 08:24:07 AM »
WASHINGTON (CNN) -- On the same day that Vermont's House and Senate voted to override GOP Gov. Jim Douglas' veto of a bill legalizing same-sex marriage in the state, the Washington City Council voted 12-0 Tuesday in favor of allowing same-sex marriages performed in other states to be recognized in the nation's capital.

But nothing is set in stone yet.
The Washington council is expected to hold a final vote on May 5. The bill would then go to Mayor Adrian Fenty, a Democrat who supports gay marriage but told WTOP.com Tuesday that he has yet to review the legislation.
If approved, the measure would then encounter its biggest potential hurdle: It would be sent to Congress for a legislative review and vote, setting up what would amount to a straight up-or-down vote on same-sex marriage.
Because Washington is not a state, its legislation must pass congressional muster. Some measures approved by overwhelmingly Democratic Washington voters, including a restrictive gun law and a proposal decriminalizing medical marijuana use, have been vetoed by Congress in recent years.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/04/07/dc.marriage/index.html?iref=mpstoryview

Offline matrsnot

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2009, 12:50:42 PM »
Question:  Since the state will now recognize the marriages.  Will the Fed recognize and pay benefits too?  Seems to me there was some debate on this a long time ago.  They should.

Offline freethinker

• My boston - emerSIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2009, 01:13:58 PM »
I'm not quite sure. If not, I imagine it will only be a matter of time. Obama hasn't taken up the DOMA issue just yet.

Keep an eye on the District of Columbia case and how it turns out. Congress is the final say so for that area since D.C. isn't technically a state. The decision there could be the indication of how the Fed will handle the decision on a national level.

Vermont is the first state to overturn a same-sex marriage ban through a complete legislative process, which is giving the issue more ground against those who claim it is being "forced" upon the residents of other states who have legalized it.

Offline matrsnot

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2009, 06:45:20 PM »
Yes.  There is a difference between legislation and the courts comments.

Offline Vado Del Rio

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2009, 08:49:56 PM »

Offline fish

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2009, 03:16:06 AM »
vermont already had legalized civil unions,no big surprise.