Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • littlebit: Makes sense.
    July 16, 2017, 04:40:28 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Boards will stay open for a place people can find history information longer. I am not allowing anyone to sign up for now because of so many foreginers just wanting to promote their business..
    December 10, 2016, 05:10:27 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Not sure why didn't look, I may be shutting down these message boards..
    November 17, 2016, 12:42:43 AM
  • ~kathy~: rick why is the timestamp showing up a day in advance?
    September 13, 2016, 12:27:46 AM
  • Valor7: What I tried to say is that the actual money would not be there that quick. But a loan against that would work if they are willing to do that.
    August 08, 2016, 01:51:51 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Why so long before it comes online? 911 took out a loan or bond with the known guarantee payment and began building..
    August 08, 2016, 07:46:34 AM
  • Valor7: Actually no it is not, a dependable Revenue stream will not come on line until the 4th quarter of 2017 so 2018 budget will be up in the air, not quite sure what they will have. By 2019 budget all will be well.
    August 04, 2016, 09:27:17 PM
  • Valor7: You mean that tax that the Commissioners would not put on the ballot for so many years? Strange things happened when the citizens got a chance to vote on that issue.
    August 03, 2016, 06:43:06 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Back up is now available withe the new tax..
    August 03, 2016, 05:01:35 PM
  • Valor7: Thanks a lot Ladies!!
    July 29, 2016, 01:16:13 PM
  • littlebit: ((*(*&
    July 27, 2016, 03:47:52 PM
  • ~kathy~: lol
    July 15, 2016, 09:34:56 AM
  • Valor7: A guy could get killed around here while waiting for backup!
    July 13, 2016, 07:31:58 PM
  • Lepard LLC: You are not alone..
    July 13, 2016, 07:28:53 PM
  • Valor7: I just hate it when I talk to myself!!!!
    July 08, 2016, 12:54:09 PM
  • Valor7: I could have worded that better, we talked details, options, the pros and cons of each, in  order to arrive at the best ballot language to present to the voters. Hope that makes this clearer.
    April 15, 2016, 06:36:14 PM
  • Valor7: sorry about the typos still working with just one arm in action
    April 13, 2016, 01:10:42 PM
  • Valor7: Yes and no. We talked details and options until we were blue in the face but I never heardbring it over, it was always the time was not right for the issue to pass. Glad to see the time in now right and I for one shall vote yes on the ballot. I would urge all others to do the sameour county is busting at the seams crimewise and no matter how many bad guys we send off there always seems to someone to replace them. The Sheriff's Office needs the help.
    April 13, 2016, 01:08:35 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Is that true Valor? Did he ask you what you wanted?
    March 01, 2016, 04:55:37 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Gene Newkirk Rick I have waited for a Sheriff to bring it to me on what he wanted. I have pushed Mr long for a while to get it to me. He told me he was close to having or done. Now hopefully the people will get to decide on it. I spoke with Steve about this a few times.
    March 01, 2016, 04:54:54 AM
  • Kimberly: Wow- I have a new name..........
    February 23, 2016, 10:25:15 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Works on mine, improvements are being done here. I may kick back into her a lot and post but working on different technologies right now. Seeing how things interact.
    January 18, 2016, 09:01:20 AM
  • Valor7: Yes it is working. If you need a laugh the wife showed me how to correctly use the silly thing.
    January 04, 2016, 05:32:59 PM
  • Valor7: Think so, mine is trying to work but it is now user and password protected and I dont know mine
    December 17, 2015, 01:32:16 PM
  • "DJ": Is there still a working android app for the PCSD
    December 14, 2015, 08:14:53 PM

Author Topic: Pirates  (Read 13611 times)

Offline dixonbob

• View Profile
Pirates
« on: April 10, 2009, 01:36:09 PM »

Share/Bookmark

Fort Wood Hotel

Boards

Devils Elbow

Attractions

Sports

St. Robert

Waynesville

PC Daily

Dixon

Menu Guide

Fun Links

Homework

Crocker

Fort Wood

Swedeborg

Big Piney

Laquey

Classifieds

Restaurants

Richland

Fort  Hotels

WASHINGTON (AFP)   The US ship captain being held hostage by pirates off Somalia jumped off the lifeboat where he was being held early Friday but failed to escape his captors, US networks reported.
 Captain Richard Phillips jumped into the water during the night and tried to swim towards the nearby US destroyer, the USS Bainbridge, but pirates jumped in and recaptured him, three US television networks reported.
 US military officials told CNN that Phillips was in good condition and that the pirates did not hurt him.
 The Bainbridge, accompanied by a P-3 Orion surveillance plane, was preventing the pirates from moving their hostage to a larger ship.
 Meanwhile Vice Admiral William Gortney, the commander of the US 5th Fleet based in Bahrain, told CNN that negotiations between officers on the Bainbridge backed by FBI experts and the pirates were continuing.
 "We have the USS Bainbridge on station currently negotiating with the pirates to get our American citizen back," Gortney told CNN.
 Gortney said a key concern was that the pirates were in touch with clan members on the mainland and could try to draw reinforcements to the standoff.
 "They are communicating. With communication possibly comes coordination, cooperation with each other," Gortney said.
 Somali pirates have attacked numerous ships in the area in recent months, but this was the first attempted hijacking of a US-crewed vessel -- an act Gortney said represented a new stage in the piracy crisis.
 "We always thought that one of the potential game changers out there was the US flag -- with US citizens onboard. And we're there and that's where we are right now," he said.
 The pirates are demanding a ransom to free Phillips, a pirate commander Abdi Garad told AFP by telephone Friday from Somalia's northern pirate lair of Eyl, without specifying the amount.
 Garad also said their men were negotiating with the US navy "not to be arrested if they release the captain."
FOUND the ignore button. Ha Ha

Offline dixonbob

• View Profile
Re: Pirates
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2009, 01:40:14 PM »
Whatever happened to we dont deal with terrorist? They want money and a free pass to do it again?
How many lost their lives in Iraq with decapitation because we wouldnt negotiate with terrorist! We have a warship there and they are out of gas and many other pirate vessels are close by plotting. Id have to give a time to release the man or its bad news for Pirates. I think every pirate ship should be sunk. Id go INTO Somalia and level that POS place.

Offline BigRedHouse

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2009, 01:52:31 PM »
This is an easy fix.  1). navy seal pops up out of the water and snatches the captain....pulls him under the water with air supply and swims away.
2) Sniper pops first pirate....head explodes on the rest.....continues to all but one(snipers choice)
3) dart the last one and knock him out...pin a note to his chest....
4) he takes the note back with the headless bodies and spreads the word that this is what will happen....
5)  many pirates start looking for a new job

they want to take Americans...let them take some american lead with them.

Offline dixonbob

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2009, 01:55:26 PM »
wouldnt work in THIS situation. Its a covered life boat They only come out now and then to pee and thats where the capt jumped in the water and tried to escape

Offline BigRedHouse

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2009, 02:06:34 PM »
So the plan changes slightly....the captain jumps and the SEAL waiting snatches him...the rest remains the same
As the pop thier heads out....BLAM...

Offline matrsnot

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2009, 02:15:21 PM »
Well thought out plan.  Might work if the Cpt can make it to the water again.  While they are at it, just sink the other pirate boats in the area.  Any survivors should be shot as they attempt to swim away.

Offline BigRedHouse

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2009, 02:48:05 PM »
exactly...but televise it into thier country to send a message.  If you mess with us...here is the consequence....tell your friends...

Offline BigRedHouse

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2009, 02:55:12 PM »
It could be like an episode of COPS (insert Bad Boys song here)

During the unterview wotht he last guy....."all I know is Jamale was on the phine and went out to take a leak...and  his head exploded....i dont know what happened....."

The next day check E Bay....for sale..one rifle in good shape...some brain matter smeared on the stock....one phone slightly used....brain matter on keypad........one life boat....needs cleaning....several bullet holes in side.

Offline mark

• http://www.gayalpinesurvival.com/
  • Proud Father
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2009, 03:06:05 PM »
Note to self:  Don't make BigRedHouse mad! LOL
We are not human beings having a spiritual experience.
We are spiritual beings having a human experience.
~Teilhard de Chardin

Offline igahmah at work

• Global Moderator
  • Some pursue happiness, others create it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2009, 03:21:16 PM »
is it an inflatable boat?  Why can't they sink the boat then start shooting them as they try to save themselves from drowning.  have a rescuer ready to jump in and save the captain.

When I was young, I wanted to be older.  This is not what I expected!

Offline fknarmyguyretired

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2009, 04:19:02 PM »
BigRed has the right ideal, I can't believe we haven't dropped Seals in the area and taken them out.

Offline dixonbob

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2009, 01:55:52 AM »
WASHINGTON The Navy is moving a huge amphibious ship closer to the scene of the pirate hostage standoff off Somalia.
Defense officials say the USS Boxer will be nearby soon. They spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to publicly discuss sensitive ship movements.
The Boxer is the flag ship for a multination anti-piracy task force. The Boxer resembles a small aircraft carrier. It has a crew of more than 1,000, a mobile hospital, missile launchers and about two dozen helicopters and attack planes.
Two other Navy ships are expected to remain much closer to the pirate-held lifeboat. The USS Bainbridge is in sight of the lifeboat; the USS Halyburton is nearby. The Bainbridge uses drones to keep watch on the lifeboat. The Halyburton has helicopters.

Offline dixonbob

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2009, 01:57:10 AM »
and no its a hardshelled covered lifeboat

Offline tpgunbiz

• B.M.F.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2009, 05:25:50 AM »
I say Blow the ship up with the hostage........Thatll make the biggest statement.. I know, not humane to the captain.......but he is a pawn anyway. we need to make a statement to these thugs.
Biscuit

Offline freethinker

• My boston - emerSIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2009, 09:15:16 AM »
"the captain is a pawn"   ?!?!     i'm sure his family would agree with you on that one.. in the big scheme of things and all....  i seriously hope that was an attempt at humor.

you obviously have no faith in our special operations groups. they could easily dispatch those pirates without killing the hostage. unfortunately, the pirates have yet to harm anyone. killing them without discretion is not the United States m.o. is these situations. there is reason to believe we can get the hostage back without causing him injury or death, and they are duty bound to try to mak that happen...

besides that fact, making that "statement" will teach these pirates a lesson all right. that in the future they should just kill the people on these ships right from the start.  they won't be of any value at all in terms of negotiating once the authorities get involved.

you're forgetting that pirating isn't some random thuggish act. it's an organized criminal element that pay's it's "soldiers" very well. these criminals know going in they are at risk of being killed. that fact hasn't deterred them yet. by indiscrimanitely blowing them out of the water, we are assigning any and all merchants who operate in the area to a death sentence that can be fulfilled at any time. we have to break these piracy rings up on the main land, not just blow them out of the water when they attempt to take a ship.....

Offline dixonbob

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2009, 11:58:50 AM »
                 NAIROBI, Kenya U.S. warships are trying to stop Somali pirates from sending reinforcements to a lifeboat where an American captain is being held hostage as the high-seas standoff off Africa's eastern coast entered a fourth day Saturday.
Underscoring the high stakes involved, France's navy on Friday freed a sailboat seized off Somalia last week by other pirates, but one of the hostages was killed.
A Nairobi-based diplomat, who spoke on condition on anonymity because he is not authorized to talk to reporters, said the pirates have summoned assistance but at least two American ships and U.S. Navy surveillance aircraft are deterring pirate ships and skiffs from contact with the lifeboat.
The pirates have threatened to kill their American hostage, Capt. Richard Phillips, if the U.S. attacks them, according to a Somali who has been in contact with the pirates.
The Somali said the pirates had called in four commandeered ships with hostages from a variety of nations including the Philippines, Russia and Germany.
The vice president of the Philippines, the nation with the largest number of sailors held captive by Somali pirates, appealed Saturday for the safety of hostages to be ensured in the standoff.
"We hope that before launching any tactical action against the pirates, the welfare of every hostage is guaranteed and ensured," said Vice President Noli de Castro. "Moreover, any military action is best done in consultation with the United Nations to gain the support and cooperation of other countries."
U.S. rules of engagement prevent the Americans using their vastly superior fighting power to engage the pirates if there is any danger to civilians.
The situation is new for the pirates. Normally, they seize a ship with many hostages and get it anchored near shore, where they can quickly escape to land, and then begin negotiations for multimillion-dollar ransoms. Left with only Phillips and a lifeboat that is out of fuel, they are in a vulnerable position.
On Friday, Phillips jumped out of the lifeboat and tried to swim for his freedom but was recaptured when a pirate fired an automatic weapon at or near him, according to U.S. Defense Department officials speaking on condition of anonymity because they are not authorized to talk about the sensitive, unfolding operations.
Phillips, of Underhill, Vermont, was seized Wednesday after he thwarted the pirates' bid to hijack the U.S.-flagged Maersk Alabama freighter, which was carrying food aid for hungry people in Somalia, Rwanda and Uganda.
The Alabama headed toward the Kenyan port of Mombasa its original destination with 20 American crew members aboard. It was expected to arrive Saturday night, said Joseph Murphy, whose son is second-in-command of the vessel.
Piracy along the anarchic and impoverished Somali coast, the longest in Africa, has risen in recent years. Somali pirates hold about a dozen ships with more than 200 crew members, according to the International Maritime Bureau, a piracy watchdog group based in Malaysia. The bureau lists 66 attacks since January, not including the Alabama.
The pirates' strategy is to link up with colleagues on other seized ships, who are holding Russian, German, Filipino and other hostages, and get Phillips to lawless Somalia, where they could hide the hostage and make it difficult to stage a rescue, the Somali speaking to the pirates said. That would give the pirates more leverage and a stronger negotiating position to discuss a ransom. Anchoring near shore also means they could get to land quickly if attacked.
The Somali, who helped negotiate a ransom last year to pirates who seized a Ukrainian ship carrying tanks, spoke on condition of anonymity for fear of reprisals. He said he has talked with a pirate leader in Somalia who helped coordinate the failed effort to seize the Alabama.
Sailors on the USS Bainbridge, which has rescue helicopters and lifeboats, were able to see Phillips but at several hundred yards away were too far to help him. The U.S. destroyer is keeping its distance, in part to stay out of the pirates' range of fire.
Its sailors saw Phillips moving around and talking after his return to the lifeboat, and the Defense Department officials think he is unharmed.
The Bainbridge was joined Friday by the USS Hallyburton, which has helicopters, and the huge, amphibious USS Boxer is expected on the scene soon, the defense officials said. The Boxer is the flag ship of a multination anti-piracy task force that resembles a small aircraft carrier. It has a crew of more than 1,000, a mobile hospital, missile launchers and about two dozen helicopters and attack planes.
 Negotiations had been taking place between the pirates and the captain of the Bainbridge, who was getting direction from FBI hostage negotiators, the officials said.
Phillips, 53, thwarted the takeover of the 17,000-ton Alabama by telling his crew of about 20 to lock themselves in a cabin, the crew told stateside relatives. The crew later overpowered some of the pirates but Phillips surrendered himself to safeguard his men, and the Somalis fled with him to an enclosed lifeboat, the relatives said.
 Meanwhile, France's defense minister promised an autopsy and investigation into the death of a hostage killed Friday during a French navy commando operation that freed four other captives held by Somali pirates.
Pirates had seized a sailboat carrying Florent Lemacon, his wife, 3-year-old son and two friends off the Somali coast a week ago. On Friday, French navy commandos stormed the boat in an assault triggered by threats the passengers would be executed.
 Two pirates were killed, and Lemacon died in an exchange of fire as he tried to duck down the hatch. Three pirates were taken prisoner in the operation, and are to be brought to France for criminal proceedings.
 ___
 Associated Press writers who contributed to this report include Mohamed Olad Hassan and Mohamed Sheikh Nor in Mogadishu, Somalia; Pauline Jelinek, Anne Gearan and Matt Apuzzo in Washington; Oliver Teves in Manila, Philippines; and Pierre-Yves Roger in Paris.             

Offline kari

• Always looking in.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2009, 12:14:45 PM »
Hmmm, just a thought...since the pirates are now threatening the Capt's life, would be nice if our military could inform the pirates that, IF the Capt is killed, the life boat the pirates are in would become a target....BUT the military can not guarantee a fast, painless death for those responsible for harming the Capt, and it's most probable that a slow, painful death would actually befall them.  Target practice?
Proud to have served, US Army, WAC

Offline dixonbob

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2009, 01:37:23 PM »
As much pain as it would be to the Capt`s family,Im sorry but Id give them 1 hour to release the man and if they didnt in one hour Id bring in fighter planes and start sending missles and firepower they never imagined on them then start leveling Somalia-AND the reason being Somalia was overrun by crimminals and thugs and they have NO government anymore and they live high on the hog capturing ships and demanding ransom. Im sorry but I wouldnt pay a dime. Capt would be remembered as a hero for saving his crew

Offline fish

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2009, 02:05:20 PM »
there is no guarantee the capt. won't be killed anyway. if the us waits it out, the pirate may concede it's over and kill himself and the capt. if he gets what he wants he could still kill the capt. it doesn't matter that they usually take the money and run. they met opposition this time and the crew took back the ship from the pirates. put a deadline on the pirate,then be done with it. sink all boats coming to the aid of the pirates.

Offline darrellmaurina

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2009, 02:37:06 PM »
Somali pirates have attacked numerous ships in the area in recent months, but this was the first attempted hijacking of a US-crewed vessel -- an act Gortney said represented a new stage in the piracy crisis.
 "We always thought that one of the potential game changers out there was the US flag -- with US citizens onboard. And we're there and that's where we are right now," he said.
 The pirates are demanding a ransom to free Phillips, a pirate commander Abdi Garad told AFP by telephone Friday from Somalia's northern pirate lair of Eyl, without specifying the amount.
 Garad also said their men were negotiating with the US navy "not to be arrested if they release the captain."

This article is absolutely right that the presence of the American flag and of American citizens are game changers, and in more than one way.

This stretch of the East African coast is a lawless waterway very comparable to the southern Mediterranean in the 1700s and early 1800s, when the Barbary Pirates of Tripoli and other Muslim states routinely captured European ships while shouting "Allah akbar!" unless the European nations paid large bribes to keep their ships and sailors safe.

Ever wondered why the Marine Corps song talks about the "shores of Tripoli?" Sailors under the flag of the United States, a brand new nation that no longer had the protection of the British flag and was perceived -- correctly -- as having a weak military and weak central government that was therefore unable to project its power thousands of miles from its shores, suffered because American ships made an easy prey for Muslim pirates. American diplomats tried and failed to persuade Muslim leaders that America wasn't a specifically Christian nation with no history of warfare with Islam and therefore shouldn't be targeted; we signed peace treaties and we paid bribes. All of that was to no avail -- the pirates kept pillaging our shipping.

So what happened? Eventually, America lost patience, and the leaders of our weak, decentralized federal government got fed up. Backed by furious public opinion, we sent the Navy and the Marine Corps into Tripoli and won a spectacular battle thousands of miles away from our own shores that none of the massively powerful European navies had dared to fight just a few hundred miles from their own shores.

Suddenly, we had no more piracy problem against the American flag. The followers of Mohammed understand raw power -- those who live and die by the sword understand force, and they didn't mess with us anymore.

But more importantly, our example caused the European powers to get the courage to invade and destroy the Muslim states of North Africa that had been causing problems for Europe for nearly a thousand years. Frankly, they were shamed into action because they saw that if the weak American military could take on and defeat the Muslim hordes, there was no reason for far more powerful European nations to be cowering in fear and paying bribes. That broke the back of Muslim power in the Mediterranean and spelled the beginning of Western dominance of Africa and the Middle East.

President Obama is obviously being tested, and one of two things is going to happen as a result of this involvement of the American flag.

If he wins this battle, or at least ends in a draw -- and yes, for the Muslim world, it **IS** viewed as "his" battle -- President Obama has enough international credibility that it won't be viewed as an imperialist escapade. (And it doesn't hurt that these pirates were trying to hijack a relief ship demonstrating American compassion -- lots of moderate Muslim governments will defend American decisions to defend a relief ship, and will be supported in that decision by their people.) It's possible that a number of Muslim states may decide to take care of the Somali problem on their own, if for no other reason to prevent major Western (or worse yet, Chinese) intervention. Saudi Arabia and Egypt have economic and religious as well as political motives to try to become power brokers by creating an Islamic solution to this piracy mess, backed by the behind-the-scenes threat of American power.

But if President Obama loses this battle or it degenerates into a Carteresque hostage situation, we'll see an explosion of piracy in Somalia, and terrorist attackers throughout the world will be emboldened. China, which is looking for an opportunity to demonstrate the powers of its new blue water navy, may take decisive action, and based on their longstanding friendship with the Sudanese genocidal dictators, they may end up becoming a major international problem. If America fails and China does nothing, or if China also fails, Egypt's major source of revenue, the Suez Canal, will be wrecked and their government may be destabilized. Also, billions of dollars will be wasted in sending ships around South Africa rather than through the Suez Canal.

Either way, the involvement of the American flag is a game changer. This needs to get fixed, and fixed **NOW** or we are going to have dire consequences worldwide.

On this issue, conservatives need to get behind President Barack Obama. He really **DOES** bring some important assets to the table that President Bush did not have, because of his reputation for trying to cooperate instead of attack the world, and also because of his half-African ancestry and paternal religious heritage. He might just win, and America's role in the world is too important to hope President Obama fails just because it would hurt him politically to become another Carter.

Locally, we need to push Rep. Ike Skelton to push Obama to unleash the full power of the American military if it becomes necessary. Skelton and Obama are both historians, and I think Obama is willing to listen to Skelton on just how dangerous it would be to lose a modern "Battle of Tripoli." Americans forget things every few years, but the Muslim world has a centuries-long memory and thinks in terms of long-lost Muslim dominance of the world in the 900s, 1000s, 1100s, and 1200s. We just simply can't let that vision come back.

But if President Obama fails miserably and creates a Carter-style debacle, we need to begin to take all necessary steps to remove him and the Democratic majority in Congress which will share the blame for his failure.
Darrell Todd Maurina
Check out the Pulaski County Daily News online newspaper at
http://www.pulaskicountyweb.com
Cell: (573) 433.6733 * FAX: (573) 774-2349
Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/darrellmaurina/
Follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/darrellmaurina/

Offline dixonbob

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2009, 03:08:20 PM »
NAIROBI, Kenya The head of a Kenyan seafarers' program said Saturday that Somali pirates had hijacked an American-owned tugboat with 16 crew in the Gulf of Aden.
Nairobi-based Italian Ambassador Pierandrea Magistrati said he only could confirm that "there is a boat that has been hijacked, I believe by Somali pirates."
The hijacking took place as the American captain of the U.S.-flagged Maersk Alabama was still being held hostage on a lifeboat being watched by two U.S. warships.
The head of the East African Seafarers' Assistance Program, Andrew Mwangura, said maritime industry sources had informed his organization that the Italian-flagged U.S. tugboat was towing two barges when it was attacked. He said it was unclear if the attack took place off the coast of Somalia or further north near Yemen. He said did not know what was on the barges.
Mwangura said the attack was launched around 11 a.m. (0800 GMT) Saturday.

Offline dixonbob

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2009, 03:09:27 PM »
They did it again and will continue to do so untill we say enough is enough and start blasting

Offline dixonbob

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2009, 03:57:33 AM »
                 MOMBASA, Kenya Nineteen American sailors who escaped a pirate hijacking off the Horn of Africa reached safe harbor on Saturday, exhilarated by freedom but mourning the absence of the captain they hailed for sacrificing his freedom to save them.
With a throng of reporters shouting questions from shore, the crew of the Maersk Alabama described an ordeal that began with Somali pirates hauling themselves onto the deck from a small boat bobbing on the surface of the Indian Ocean far below.
"They came from the stern of the ship and came on with hooks and ropes and were firing in the air when they got on board," said ATM Reza, a crew member who said he was the first to see the pirates board Wednesday.
As the pirates shot in the air, Capt. Richard Phillips, 53, of Underhill, Vermont, told his crew to lock themselves in a cabin and surrendered himself to safeguard his men, crew members said. Phillips was still held hostage in an enclosed lifeboat Saturday by four pirates being closely watched by U.S. warships in an increasingly tense standoff. A Pentagon spokesman said negotiations were ongoing.
"He saved our lives!" second mate Ken Quinn, of Bradenton, Florida, declared from the ship as it docked in the resort and port city of Mombasa. "He's a hero."
Reza, a father of one from Hartford, Connecticut, said that he had led one of the pirates to the engine room, where he stabbed him in the hand with an ice pick and tied him up. Other sailors corroborated that story.
The crew did not elaborate Saturday but have told family members by phone that they took one pirate hostage before giving him up in the unfulfilled hope their captain would be released. Instead, the Somalis fled with Phillips to the lifeboat.
Some of the Alabama's crew cheered and cracked jokes as they arrived in Mombasa, others peered warily over the edge of their 17,000-ton cargo ship.
With Navy Seals standing guard, one sailor told off the mass of journalists, saying: "Don't disrespect these men like that. They've got a man out on a lifeboat dying so we can live."
Crewman William Rios described the whole experience as a "nightmare" and said the first thing he will do back home in New York is pray. "I'm going to church," he said, specifying St. John the Baptist Church in New York City.
Quinn told reporters the experience was "terrifying and exciting at the same time." Asked what he thought of the pirates who seized the boat, Quinn said: "They're just hungry."
Maersk President John Reinhart said from Norfolk, Virginia that the ship was still a crime scene and the crewmen could not leave until the FBI investigates the attack. He said crew members have been provided phones so they can stay in touch with family members.
"When I spoke to the crew, they won't consider it done when they board a plane and come home," Reinhart said. "They won't consider it done until the captain is back, nor will we."
Negotiations with the pirates were continuing on Saturday, Pentagon spokesman Maj. Stewart Upton said. But the Pentagon will not comment on any aspect of the negotiations, including who is leading them.
The U.S. Navy has assumed that the pirates in the lifeboat would try to get it to shore, even though the vessel apparently has no fuel and is drifting. The U.S. destroyer and frigate nearby have the capability of maneuvering to stop the lifeboat's drift course.
Other bandits, among the hundreds who have made the Gulf of Aden the world's most dangerous waterway, seized an Italian tugboat off Somalia's north coast Saturday as it was pulling barges, said Shona Lowe, a spokeswoman at NATO's Northwood maritime command center outside London.
The Foreign Ministry in Rome confirmed 10 of the 16 crew members are Italian. The others are five Romanians and a Croatian, according to Micoperi, the Italian company that owns the ship.
A piracy expert said the two hijackings did not appear related.
 "This is just the Somali pirate machine in full flow," said Graeme Gibbon-Brooks, founder of Dryad Maritime Intelligence Ltd.
 Phillips jumped out of the lifeboat Friday and tried to swim for his freedom but was recaptured when a pirate fired an automatic weapon at or near him, according to U.S. Defense Department officials speaking on condition of anonymity because they are not authorized to talk about the sensitive, unfolding operations.
"We believe that Capt. Phillips will survive this situation," said Capt. Joseph Murphy, father of second-in-command Shane Murphy. "We know he will survive because he will never give up."
A U.S. military official said that early Saturday the pirates in the lifeboat believed to be armed with pistols and AK-47s fired a few shots at a small Navy vessel that had approached, possibly to conduct reconnaissance. No one was hurt and the Navy vessel turned away, the official said, speaking on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to discuss the matter publicly.
 The U.S. sailors did not return fire, he said. The U.S. had not approached in a rescue attempt, he said.
 The captain of the warship watching the lifeboat has been getting direction from FBI hostage negotiators and talks have taken place with the pirates, U.S. officials said.
 In Underhill, two young girls set up a lemonade stand with a sign saying "Come home safe Capt. Phillips."
Rev. Charles Danielson of the St. Thomas Church said the congregation would continue to pray for Phillips and his family, who are members, and he would encourage "people to find hope in the triumph of good over evil."
Reinhart said he spoke with Phillips' wife, Andrea, who is surrounded by family and two company employees who were sent to support her.
"She's a brave woman," Reinhart said. "And she has one favor to ask: 'Do what you have to do to bring Richard home safely.' That means don't make a mistake, folks. We have to be perfect in our execution."
 The USS Bainbridge was joined Friday by the USS Halyburton, which has helicopters, and the huge, amphibious USS Boxer was expected soon after, the defense officials said. The Boxer, the flagship of a multination anti-piracy task force, resembles a small aircraft carrier. It has a crew of more than 1,000, a mobile hospital, missile launchers and about two dozen helicopters and attack planes.
 On Friday, the French navy freed a sailboat seized off Somalia last week by other pirates, but one of the hostages was killed.
 The vice president of the Philippines, the nation with the largest number of sailors held captive by Somali pirates, appealed for the safety of hostages to be ensured in the standoff.
"We hope that before launching any tactical action against the pirates, the welfare of every hostage is guaranteed and ensured," said Vice President Noli de Castro.
 Meanwhile, France's defense minister promised an autopsy and investigation into the death of a hostage killed during a commando operation, which freed four other captives and was prompted by threats the passengers would be executed. Two pirates also were killed. Three pirates were captured and are to be brought to France for criminal proceedings.
 Somali pirates are holding about a dozen ships with more than 200 crew members, according to the Malaysia-based International Maritime Bureau, a piracy watchdog group. The bureau lists 66 attacks since January, not including the Alabama or the Italian ship seized Saturday.
 ___
 Associated Press writers who contributed to this report include Mohamed Olad Hassan and Mohamed Sheikh Nor in Mogadishu, Somalia; Michelle Faul and Tom Maliti in Nairobi, Kenya; Ariel David in Rome; Constant Brand in Brussels; Matt Apuzzo and Robert Burns in Washington; Oliver Teves in Manila, Philippines; and Pierre-Yves Roger in Paris.             

Offline dixonbob

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2009, 04:06:24 AM »
People I dont know if you realize but this is a serious situation. This could be yet another war on our hands. Im sorry but I have to vote go getem.Ive read about enough of this hijacking and pirateing BS that something HAS to be done to deter it anymore and if its war its war and Ill bet a million dollars to a penny the United States of America will win.

Offline okie the thread killer

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2009, 04:09:58 AM »
Well for sure it is ugly, and someone has to do something, and that someone will probably be us. I hope we can rescue the captain before we start blowing them all to he**
I have it on good authority that the Hokey-Pokey really IS what it's all about.

Offline freethinker

• My boston - emerSIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2009, 06:33:14 AM »
"Gunfire from pirates forces sailors, who did not return fire, to turn back"

Now, this I do not agree with. I have never seen a ROE that failed to specifically allow our service members to return fire when fired upon. Who ever is in charge of that ship should be relieved of his command immediately. I don't care what my orders are. If someone shoots at me and I'm in range of thier weapons, I'm taking the bastard out. Plain and simple.

Here's an idea..  let's take one of our submarines and position it directly below the lifeboat the pirates are in. Then surface the sub and toss all those bastards into the water with enough force to spread them out. The shock of it will more then likely force them to drop their weapons during the panic. Before the pirates can get their wits back enough to do anything about, we could have a couple dozen sailors on top of the sub with weapons trained on them.  They will never see that shit coming....

Offline okie the thread killer

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2009, 05:43:38 PM »
CNN and MSNBC reporting that the captain is rescued, 3 pirates killed, 4th in custody
I have it on good authority that the Hokey-Pokey really IS what it's all about.

Offline kari

• Always looking in.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2009, 05:45:31 PM »
AWESOME!!!!
Proud to have served, US Army, WAC

Offline fknarmyguyretired

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2009, 05:59:04 PM »
I hope they got the rescue on video and show it to the world.

Offline fish

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2009, 06:58:14 PM »
Official: US sea captain freed in swift firefight
breitbart.com ^| 4/12/9 | ELIZABETH A. KENNEDY and LARA JAKES

MOMBASA, Kenya (AP) - An American ship captain was freed unharmed Sunday in a U.S. Navy operation that killed three of the four Somali pirates who had been holding him for days in a lifeboat off the coast of Africa, a senior U.S. intelligence official said. One of the pirates was wounded and in custody after a swift firefight, the official said.  Capt. Richard Phillips, 53, of Underhill, Vermont, was safely transported to a Navy warship nearby.  The official was not authorized to discuss the matter publicly and spoke on condition of anonymity.  A government official and others in Somali with knowledge of the situation had reported hours earlier that negotiations for Phillips' release had broken down.  The district commissioner of the central Mudug region said talks went on all day Saturday, with clan elders from his area talking by satellite telephone and through a translator with Americans, but collapsed late Saturday night.  "The negotiations between the elders and American officials have broken down. The reason is American officials wanted to arrest the pirates in Puntland and elders refused the arrest of the pirates," said the commissioner, Abdi Aziz Aw Yusuf. He said he organized initial contacts between the elders and the Americans.  Two other Somalis, one involved in the negotiations and another in contact with the pirates, also said the talks collapsed because of the U.S. insistence that the pirates be arrested and brought to justice.  Phillips' crew of 19 American sailors reached safe harbor in Kenya's northeast port of Mombasa on Saturday night under guard of U.S. Navy Seals, exhilarated by their freedom but mourning the absence of Phillips.  Crew members said their ordeal had begun with the Somali pirates hauling themselves up from a small boat bobbing on the surface of the Indian Ocean far below.
(Excerpt) Read more at breitbart.com ...