Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • littlebit: Makes sense.
    July 16, 2017, 04:40:28 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Boards will stay open for a place people can find history information longer. I am not allowing anyone to sign up for now because of so many foreginers just wanting to promote their business..
    December 10, 2016, 05:10:27 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Not sure why didn't look, I may be shutting down these message boards..
    November 17, 2016, 12:42:43 AM
  • ~kathy~: rick why is the timestamp showing up a day in advance?
    September 13, 2016, 12:27:46 AM
  • Valor7: What I tried to say is that the actual money would not be there that quick. But a loan against that would work if they are willing to do that.
    August 08, 2016, 01:51:51 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Why so long before it comes online? 911 took out a loan or bond with the known guarantee payment and began building..
    August 08, 2016, 07:46:34 AM
  • Valor7: Actually no it is not, a dependable Revenue stream will not come on line until the 4th quarter of 2017 so 2018 budget will be up in the air, not quite sure what they will have. By 2019 budget all will be well.
    August 04, 2016, 09:27:17 PM
  • Valor7: You mean that tax that the Commissioners would not put on the ballot for so many years? Strange things happened when the citizens got a chance to vote on that issue.
    August 03, 2016, 06:43:06 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Back up is now available withe the new tax..
    August 03, 2016, 05:01:35 PM
  • Valor7: Thanks a lot Ladies!!
    July 29, 2016, 01:16:13 PM
  • littlebit: ((*(*&
    July 27, 2016, 03:47:52 PM
  • ~kathy~: lol
    July 15, 2016, 09:34:56 AM
  • Valor7: A guy could get killed around here while waiting for backup!
    July 13, 2016, 07:31:58 PM
  • Lepard LLC: You are not alone..
    July 13, 2016, 07:28:53 PM
  • Valor7: I just hate it when I talk to myself!!!!
    July 08, 2016, 12:54:09 PM
  • Valor7: I could have worded that better, we talked details, options, the pros and cons of each, in  order to arrive at the best ballot language to present to the voters. Hope that makes this clearer.
    April 15, 2016, 06:36:14 PM
  • Valor7: sorry about the typos still working with just one arm in action
    April 13, 2016, 01:10:42 PM
  • Valor7: Yes and no. We talked details and options until we were blue in the face but I never heardbring it over, it was always the time was not right for the issue to pass. Glad to see the time in now right and I for one shall vote yes on the ballot. I would urge all others to do the sameour county is busting at the seams crimewise and no matter how many bad guys we send off there always seems to someone to replace them. The Sheriff's Office needs the help.
    April 13, 2016, 01:08:35 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Is that true Valor? Did he ask you what you wanted?
    March 01, 2016, 04:55:37 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Gene Newkirk Rick I have waited for a Sheriff to bring it to me on what he wanted. I have pushed Mr long for a while to get it to me. He told me he was close to having or done. Now hopefully the people will get to decide on it. I spoke with Steve about this a few times.
    March 01, 2016, 04:54:54 AM
  • Kimberly: Wow- I have a new name..........
    February 23, 2016, 10:25:15 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Works on mine, improvements are being done here. I may kick back into her a lot and post but working on different technologies right now. Seeing how things interact.
    January 18, 2016, 09:01:20 AM
  • Valor7: Yes it is working. If you need a laugh the wife showed me how to correctly use the silly thing.
    January 04, 2016, 05:32:59 PM
  • Valor7: Think so, mine is trying to work but it is now user and password protected and I dont know mine
    December 17, 2015, 01:32:16 PM
  • "DJ": Is there still a working android app for the PCSD
    December 14, 2015, 08:14:53 PM

Author Topic: County Roads  (Read 5823 times)

Offline hawkeyehaven

• View Profile
County Roads
« on: April 17, 2009, 03:35:10 PM »

Share/Bookmark

Fort Wood Hotel

Boards

Devils Elbow

Attractions

Sports

St. Robert

Waynesville

PC Daily

Dixon

Menu Guide

Fun Links

Homework

Crocker

Fort Wood

Swedeborg

Big Piney

Laquey

Classifieds

Restaurants

Richland

Fort  Hotels

I do not understand the new way of grading for the western district, I can not see how a road is going to hold together if they don't get into the ditches and keep them cleaned out. The new commissioner and supervisor has told the grader operators to stay out of the ditches and now wants them to start damming up the sides of the roads. All that is going to do is make the roads worse because when it rains the water isn't going to have any place to go but stay in the road causing more potholes, more wash boards, and making the roads softer for more soft spots to develop. Looks like to me that in order for a commissioner to know how a road should be done is for them to know how to operate the machines themselves. Also on the eastern side the supervisor knows how to operate all the machinery, so why is it they would make a supervisor on the western side that doesn't know the first thing about how to operate a grader? Shouldn't a supervisor know how to operate all the machines? So far all I have seen out of the Western side is these men are all out working with the exception of 1, The supervisor himself. Just what is his job? To go to the county meeting and drive around all day or sit at the shed making calls? These roads are soon going to go to pot, Anyone knows that roads have to have drainage to keep them in shape. Why can't they pull the ditches make more cut offs for water to go out of the road and put a good crown to the road instead of trying to turn our roads into a river bed. :th_tha3ab577b-1:

Offline darrellmaurina

• View Profile
Re: County Roads
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2009, 10:53:46 AM »
Commissioner Zweerink is a former county road and bridge department employee who campaigned on his knowledge of how to run the equipment. I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with your post -- I truly don't know what he is or is not doing on the roads -- but I think he at least THINKS he knows how to grade them based on personal experience.

I do not understand the new way of grading for the western district, I can not see how a road is going to hold together if they don't get into the ditches and keep them cleaned out. The new commissioner and supervisor has told the grader operators to stay out of the ditches and now wants them to start damming up the sides of the roads. All that is going to do is make the roads worse because when it rains the water isn't going to have any place to go but stay in the road causing more potholes, more wash boards, and making the roads softer for more soft spots to develop. Looks like to me that in order for a commissioner to know how a road should be done is for them to know how to operate the machines themselves. Also on the eastern side the supervisor knows how to operate all the machinery, so why is it they would make a supervisor on the western side that doesn't know the first thing about how to operate a grader? Shouldn't a supervisor know how to operate all the machines? So far all I have seen out of the Western side is these men are all out working with the exception of 1, The supervisor himself. Just what is his job? To go to the county meeting and drive around all day or sit at the shed making calls? These roads are soon going to go to pot, Anyone knows that roads have to have drainage to keep them in shape. Why can't they pull the ditches make more cut offs for water to go out of the road and put a good crown to the road instead of trying to turn our roads into a river bed. :th_tha3ab577b-1:
Darrell Todd Maurina
Check out the Pulaski County Daily News online newspaper at
http://www.pulaskicountyweb.com
Cell: (573) 433.6733 * FAX: (573) 774-2349
Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/darrellmaurina/
Follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/darrellmaurina/

Offline cowboy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2009, 03:48:40 PM »
Funny that someone would design a grader with a blade that tilts, extends, rotates, angles with down pressure etc to grade a road flat.  This could be done with tractor and rear blade at a much faster rate and at lower cost, both purchase and operating.  Camden county has some 60 mph gravel roads, but what do they know with their high centers and clean ditches.

Offline Vado Del Rio

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2009, 04:21:59 PM »
Perhaps they can further discuss grading proceduces in the comfort of a new road shed for the Western District.  Nothing but the best for R&B while the PCSD if left with peanut shells.............

http://www.waynesvilledailyguide.com/news/x718259580/County-talks-land-purchase

Offline cowboy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2009, 05:40:41 PM »
Thats cause they keep eating the peanuts

Offline hawkeyehaven

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2009, 03:13:53 PM »
Commissioner Zweerink is a former county road and bridge department employee who campaigned on his knowledge of how to run the equipment. but I think he at least THINKS he knows how to grade them based on personal experience.

I don't think using a shovel in the ditches counts as knowing how to run the equipment. He may know how to run a dump truck but no he doesn't have the experience running a grader or backhoe. I think he should have talked to the older grader operators on how to blade and maintain a road, not talk to the supervisor that is as lost as he is on this subject.

Offline Fafrd

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2009, 06:27:09 PM »
ive been driving these back roads for awhile and some of the older grader operators didnt do that well of a job either. And from what i have seen during the winter months when we had snow on the roads. Mr. Zweerink has been better than the ppl he has replaced.  He has had his guys get roads cleared that would have taken the last ppl in office days if not weeks to touch, and he had them bladed the next day.

Offline wildman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2009, 09:28:14 PM »
Grading a county road is not as easy as it may seem to most people. Each road that you grade is a different experience. A blade man must know his roads and how the water runs off of them. If you crown a road too much it is not good. the water runs off of the road too fast. If you blade it too flat water stands on the road and this can cause potholes. Some roads are wide enough to be able to spred the traffic all across. Other roads are so narrow that all vehicles must drive in the same path. As far as the ditches are concerned if you constantly get in the ditches they just keep getting deeper and that causes problems. The best policy is to keep the ditches as best as you can. Again this depends on the road. Some roads have more trees than others therefore more debris. I think that the ditches should be cleaned in the fall and in the spring. The key is to blade the roads on a regular basis. This should be done at least on a monthly basis.

Offline Kristi Marie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2009, 01:41:28 AM »
Well at least he's not giving his road special treatment~ that is one bumpy pot hole filled road! lol

Offline fish

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2009, 01:42:35 AM »
and eventually you run out of material to shape and hit rock. It takes a bit to grade and break the rock up and still end up with a drivable road. I love missouri back roads.!!

Offline Yankee Trader

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2009, 02:27:06 AM »
and eventually you run out of material to shape and hit rock. It takes a bit to grade and break the rock up and still end up with a drivable road. I love missouri back roads.!!

You beat me to it Fish....that is our roads issue....on the hillside and lots of rocks sticking out.   Easy to dodge though and our guy does a good job.

Offline ~kathy~

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2009, 02:40:00 AM »
kristi you talking about ricks road or mine? lol my road is bad because the county doesn't have the jackhammer attachment for the backhoe yet. freddie has a hard time blading our road because not enough material to work with and the big rocks cant be busted with the grader.
Go ahead and blame me....Everyone else does

Offline Kristi Marie

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2009, 03:46:30 AM »
both actually! Pat takes care of our road... or driveway I should say~ he loves that new boxblade of his! men and their toys! lol

Offline jlh

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2009, 03:57:47 AM »
I sure wish they would do something with the entrance to Raleigh Road. I rock and roll to get in there, and i ain't talking dancing.  ;D

Offline ~kathy~

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2009, 11:52:25 AM »
I sure wish they would do something with the entrance to Raleigh Road. I rock and roll to get in there, and i ain't talking dancing.  ;D

If I am not mistaken the first 15' to 30' the state is supposed to own and fix. That is another road my husband blades, Says that is one road that he has to use caution with while blading because of the ones that like to speed up and down it
Go ahead and blame me....Everyone else does