Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • littlebit: Makes sense.
    July 16, 2017, 04:40:28 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Boards will stay open for a place people can find history information longer. I am not allowing anyone to sign up for now because of so many foreginers just wanting to promote their business..
    December 10, 2016, 05:10:27 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Not sure why didn't look, I may be shutting down these message boards..
    November 17, 2016, 12:42:43 AM
  • ~kathy~: rick why is the timestamp showing up a day in advance?
    September 13, 2016, 12:27:46 AM
  • Valor7: What I tried to say is that the actual money would not be there that quick. But a loan against that would work if they are willing to do that.
    August 08, 2016, 01:51:51 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Why so long before it comes online? 911 took out a loan or bond with the known guarantee payment and began building..
    August 08, 2016, 07:46:34 AM
  • Valor7: Actually no it is not, a dependable Revenue stream will not come on line until the 4th quarter of 2017 so 2018 budget will be up in the air, not quite sure what they will have. By 2019 budget all will be well.
    August 04, 2016, 09:27:17 PM
  • Valor7: You mean that tax that the Commissioners would not put on the ballot for so many years? Strange things happened when the citizens got a chance to vote on that issue.
    August 03, 2016, 06:43:06 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Back up is now available withe the new tax..
    August 03, 2016, 05:01:35 PM
  • Valor7: Thanks a lot Ladies!!
    July 29, 2016, 01:16:13 PM
  • littlebit: ((*(*&
    July 27, 2016, 03:47:52 PM
  • ~kathy~: lol
    July 15, 2016, 09:34:56 AM
  • Valor7: A guy could get killed around here while waiting for backup!
    July 13, 2016, 07:31:58 PM
  • Lepard LLC: You are not alone..
    July 13, 2016, 07:28:53 PM
  • Valor7: I just hate it when I talk to myself!!!!
    July 08, 2016, 12:54:09 PM
  • Valor7: I could have worded that better, we talked details, options, the pros and cons of each, in  order to arrive at the best ballot language to present to the voters. Hope that makes this clearer.
    April 15, 2016, 06:36:14 PM
  • Valor7: sorry about the typos still working with just one arm in action
    April 13, 2016, 01:10:42 PM
  • Valor7: Yes and no. We talked details and options until we were blue in the face but I never heardbring it over, it was always the time was not right for the issue to pass. Glad to see the time in now right and I for one shall vote yes on the ballot. I would urge all others to do the sameour county is busting at the seams crimewise and no matter how many bad guys we send off there always seems to someone to replace them. The Sheriff's Office needs the help.
    April 13, 2016, 01:08:35 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Is that true Valor? Did he ask you what you wanted?
    March 01, 2016, 04:55:37 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Gene Newkirk Rick I have waited for a Sheriff to bring it to me on what he wanted. I have pushed Mr long for a while to get it to me. He told me he was close to having or done. Now hopefully the people will get to decide on it. I spoke with Steve about this a few times.
    March 01, 2016, 04:54:54 AM
  • Kimberly: Wow- I have a new name..........
    February 23, 2016, 10:25:15 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Works on mine, improvements are being done here. I may kick back into her a lot and post but working on different technologies right now. Seeing how things interact.
    January 18, 2016, 09:01:20 AM
  • Valor7: Yes it is working. If you need a laugh the wife showed me how to correctly use the silly thing.
    January 04, 2016, 05:32:59 PM
  • Valor7: Think so, mine is trying to work but it is now user and password protected and I dont know mine
    December 17, 2015, 01:32:16 PM
  • "DJ": Is there still a working android app for the PCSD
    December 14, 2015, 08:14:53 PM

Author Topic: starting my garden...again  (Read 3628 times)

Offline Jenmbrook26

• Lurker
  • Go to your profile and put something here.
    • View Profile
starting my garden...again
« on: April 19, 2009, 10:44:03 PM »

Share/Bookmark

Fort Wood Hotel

Boards

Devils Elbow

Attractions

Sports

St. Robert

Waynesville

PC Daily

Dixon

Menu Guide

Fun Links

Homework

Crocker

Fort Wood

Swedeborg

Big Piney

Laquey

Classifieds

Restaurants

Richland

Fort  Hotels

I thought after moving to MO that it would be okay to start a garden early April.  :jester: Well my dear hubby told me no planting till may! So I'm waiting it out a little. He Got me the topsy turvy for tomatoes and strawberries.  I can't wait to use them this year!

So being new to the area can any experienced gardeners give me a little advice on good ways to make a nice vegetable garden? We tried tilling in march but we are going to end up taking the dirt out all together (its bulky and rocky) and my hubby thinks we should lay down weed cloth and then garden soil. It sounds like a plan but would it work?
Every pressing moment is another moment to turn it all around

Offline fknarmyguyretired

• View Profile
Re: starting my garden...again
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2009, 11:28:51 PM »
I prefer raised garden beds or container gardening in this area.  Most of the area has poor top soil and lots of rocks and clay.  Even if you haul in good soil with out something to contain it you will lose much of it in a couple of years.

Offline okie the thread killer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2009, 11:33:52 PM »
And if you haul in dirt, you will probably need to mix some sand in with it. Depending on where exactly you live and where you get your dirt.
I have it on good authority that the Hokey-Pokey really IS what it's all about.

Offline ♥♣ ~Maynard~♣♥

• GOING GREEN: Save a tree,eat a beaver.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2009, 02:18:05 AM »
I thought after moving to MO that it would be okay to start a garden early April.  :jester: Well my dear hubby told me no planting till may! So I'm waiting it out a little. He Got me the topsy turvy for tomatoes and strawberries.  I can't wait to use them this year!

So being new to the area can any experienced gardeners give me a little advice on good ways to make a nice vegetable garden? We tried tilling in march but we are going to end up taking the dirt out all together (its bulky and rocky) and my hubby thinks we should lay down weed cloth and then garden soil. It sounds like a plan but would it work?
Yankee trader is our go to guy for gardening tips.
Bruce help this young lady out.
He has books and experence :{:{:
Remember I'm a nudist so when you respond to one of my post yor talking to a naked man  :)

For entertainment purposes only. Any resemblance to real persons living or dead is purely coincidental.

Offline wildman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2009, 02:39:05 PM »
Adding peet moss will also help keep your soil more manageable

Offline kari

• Always looking in.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2009, 05:29:14 PM »
Missouri is a challenge for anyone wanting a garden.  I use to do intensive raised bed gardening.  Make your beds 4' wide.. that way you can reach 2' in on each side without straining.  My beds were either 8 or 16' long, and a minimum of 2' deep.  Believe it or not, if you have a paper shredder, utilize the paper from the shredder in your garden.  The paper will decompose, but in the meantime it will help as a weed barrier (not a great one but does cut down a bit, unless you use full sheets), allows water through, and helps maintain moisture.

I always used graph paper to plan out my garden.  You can plant slower growing vegetable together with faster growing ones, utilizing one section of space for two vegetables. Just be careful that you use companion planting.  Don't forget to plant your herbs along with your veggies!  I loved to plant using fencing (coated so not to burn the plants) for cucumbers, peas, tomatoes, beans, cantaloupes, watermelon, etc.  If, you can get some manure, and start a compost pile, you will be a very happy camper!!!!

If you like growing your own potatoes, you can save a lot of space, and your back if you use trash can liners... as the tubers grow, just keep adding more soil.  When you are ready to harvest, just start pouring out the soil into a fresh bag!

PS: one thing I forgot to mention... get a plastic container (not large, about the size of a can of soup), cut it on both ends and place them around your beds... if you know anyone with cows or horses, collect the manure, put some in the containers... you can either pour water over it, or allow the rain water to produce "manure tea" to fertilize your crops!!!  I use to have a pet pig and I did that years ago, worked great!
Proud to have served, US Army, WAC

Offline igahmah at work

• Global Moderator
  • Some pursue happiness, others create it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2009, 05:50:57 PM »
Kari who would have guessed you are practically a farmer.  :)  Wish I could do some gardening, I'm just too lazy.  :-[  I would like to try the topsy turvy things so Jen I am interested in hearing how they work.
When I was young, I wanted to be older.  This is not what I expected!

Offline kari

• Always looking in.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2009, 07:07:04 PM »
Kari who would have guessed you are practically a farmer.  :)  Wish I could do some gardening, I'm just too lazy.  :-[  I would like to try the topsy turvy things so Jen I am interested in hearing how they work.
Igahman!!!  You forgot, I lived in Lancaster County, Pa for quite a while.... Believe it or not, I had one h3ll of a garden when I lived in Philly!!!  I had a postage stamp yard at MY first home in Philly.  When I started working the ground, the neighbors all laughed at me.... then harvest time came, and the following year I had most all the neighbors out digging their yards! lmao 

Though I was born and raised in Philly, my family always grew fruits and veggies, so I was raised "farming".  My Mother was quite an equestrian, so my brothers and I had to learn that also!  I took horticulture courses while in college, so that also helped.  Yep, I planned, tilled, planted, harvested, canned, took care of the horses, other critters, to include my children, cleaned, cooked, did laundry, made house repairs, repaired my own vehicles, etc..... I WAS FRIGGIN CRAZY! Ugh ^^^%%%
Proud to have served, US Army, WAC

Offline wildman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2009, 09:22:49 PM »
My kind of woman.............

Offline Jenmbrook26

• Lurker
  • Go to your profile and put something here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2009, 01:25:31 AM »
Kari Thanks for all the info! I do have a section of my front yard that is squared off by cement that i'm using for the veggie and fruit garden. Do you think if we pulled that dirt out a few feet deep and laid down some weed cloth it would work too? we planned on putting all new soil, peet moss and or garden soil down.

Now about the manure tea, I don't know anyone around here with live stock. Do you think i can just buy the bag a manure and make it that way?
Thank you again, i enjoy hearing people that passionate about this kinda thing. I'm pretty young and getting all the info I can now should help years to come :karma:
Every pressing moment is another moment to turn it all around

Offline Yankee Trader

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2009, 02:23:40 AM »
LOL....thanks Maynard.....but Kari got it covered.  Have you ever read Square Foot Gardening by Mel Bartholomew??

Beds are definately the way to go. As everyone described or invent your own.  Compost is the best thing for soil.  It builds soil fertility plus adds natural microbes that fight diseases. 

Good luck and keep us aprised of you garden ventures!

Offline knpeterson

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2009, 05:11:20 PM »
Those topsy turvy planters dry out quick and get very heavy.  I have not heard of a lot of people who like them. If you want to pick the brains of super duper gardeners go to davesgarden.com  I just signed up not that long ago and it is now my fav site.  I have learned so much and I already thought I knew enough!
I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Human natural selection= just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.