Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • littlebit: Makes sense.
    July 16, 2017, 04:40:28 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Boards will stay open for a place people can find history information longer. I am not allowing anyone to sign up for now because of so many foreginers just wanting to promote their business..
    December 10, 2016, 05:10:27 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Not sure why didn't look, I may be shutting down these message boards..
    November 17, 2016, 12:42:43 AM
  • ~kathy~: rick why is the timestamp showing up a day in advance?
    September 13, 2016, 12:27:46 AM
  • Valor7: What I tried to say is that the actual money would not be there that quick. But a loan against that would work if they are willing to do that.
    August 08, 2016, 01:51:51 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Why so long before it comes online? 911 took out a loan or bond with the known guarantee payment and began building..
    August 08, 2016, 07:46:34 AM
  • Valor7: Actually no it is not, a dependable Revenue stream will not come on line until the 4th quarter of 2017 so 2018 budget will be up in the air, not quite sure what they will have. By 2019 budget all will be well.
    August 04, 2016, 09:27:17 PM
  • Valor7: You mean that tax that the Commissioners would not put on the ballot for so many years? Strange things happened when the citizens got a chance to vote on that issue.
    August 03, 2016, 06:43:06 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Back up is now available withe the new tax..
    August 03, 2016, 05:01:35 PM
  • Valor7: Thanks a lot Ladies!!
    July 29, 2016, 01:16:13 PM
  • littlebit: ((*(*&
    July 27, 2016, 03:47:52 PM
  • ~kathy~: lol
    July 15, 2016, 09:34:56 AM
  • Valor7: A guy could get killed around here while waiting for backup!
    July 13, 2016, 07:31:58 PM
  • Lepard LLC: You are not alone..
    July 13, 2016, 07:28:53 PM
  • Valor7: I just hate it when I talk to myself!!!!
    July 08, 2016, 12:54:09 PM
  • Valor7: I could have worded that better, we talked details, options, the pros and cons of each, in  order to arrive at the best ballot language to present to the voters. Hope that makes this clearer.
    April 15, 2016, 06:36:14 PM
  • Valor7: sorry about the typos still working with just one arm in action
    April 13, 2016, 01:10:42 PM
  • Valor7: Yes and no. We talked details and options until we were blue in the face but I never heardbring it over, it was always the time was not right for the issue to pass. Glad to see the time in now right and I for one shall vote yes on the ballot. I would urge all others to do the sameour county is busting at the seams crimewise and no matter how many bad guys we send off there always seems to someone to replace them. The Sheriff's Office needs the help.
    April 13, 2016, 01:08:35 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Is that true Valor? Did he ask you what you wanted?
    March 01, 2016, 04:55:37 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Gene Newkirk Rick I have waited for a Sheriff to bring it to me on what he wanted. I have pushed Mr long for a while to get it to me. He told me he was close to having or done. Now hopefully the people will get to decide on it. I spoke with Steve about this a few times.
    March 01, 2016, 04:54:54 AM
  • Kimberly: Wow- I have a new name..........
    February 23, 2016, 10:25:15 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Works on mine, improvements are being done here. I may kick back into her a lot and post but working on different technologies right now. Seeing how things interact.
    January 18, 2016, 09:01:20 AM
  • Valor7: Yes it is working. If you need a laugh the wife showed me how to correctly use the silly thing.
    January 04, 2016, 05:32:59 PM
  • Valor7: Think so, mine is trying to work but it is now user and password protected and I dont know mine
    December 17, 2015, 01:32:16 PM
  • "DJ": Is there still a working android app for the PCSD
    December 14, 2015, 08:14:53 PM

Author Topic: Farmers market in Waynesville  (Read 19223 times)

Offline knpeterson

• View Profile
Farmers market in Waynesville
« on: April 22, 2009, 01:52:12 PM »

Share/Bookmark

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Human natural selection= just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Offline Yankee Trader

• View Profile
Re: Farmers market in Waynesville
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2009, 02:58:05 PM »
Call the Extension Service at the Courthouse.  Last year they moved it to Buckhorn.  Not sure if they are having it this year or not.  It's too bad because I think if a market was well run and publicized in the area it would thrive.  Need to be closer to the MO Ave corridor though to get the post traffic.

Offline igahmah at work

• Global Moderator
  • Some pursue happiness, others create it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2009, 03:17:41 PM »
Yeah, Somebody who has a business in that area should let them have a corner of their parking lot for the farmers market.  I know a great place, think Luther Thomas owns it.  The lot where the donut shop used to be.  Across from the convenience store on Missouri Ave.  By Wells Fargo.  That would be a great spot.
When I was young, I wanted to be older.  This is not what I expected!

Offline Coyote

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2009, 03:36:31 PM »
The only problem would be taking from that little produce store across the road.
....and that night as the moon crossed the mountain, one more Coyote was heard...

Offline igahmah at work

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2009, 03:44:02 PM »
it's down the road a bit and personally I don't buy things from them because it is not fresh looking and the store is a mess.

Offline knpeterson

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2009, 04:32:04 PM »
I was thinking about selling at the one in Camdenton because I was afraid that the one in Buckhorn was it. Then someone told me there was one at the middle school parking lot.  I hope the one in Buckhorn isn't it.  I really wish there was one in St. Robert or Waynesville.  I'm growing organic produce this year and I want to try to sell it where there is some customer base.  If Buckhorn is it, I might as well sell it from the end of my driveway.  I don't know, has anyone been to the one in Buckhorn?  Maybe I'm all wrong about it but who is going to see you there?  And as far as taking business from a store, the one in Buckhorn lets the farmers set up in their parking lot so it may bring in more business.

Human natural selection= just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Offline igahmah at work

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2009, 04:40:18 PM »
Buckhorn is it.  Where do you live it might be profitable to sell from your driveway if you advertise it. 

Offline blissfullybusy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2009, 04:41:49 PM »
There is one in the middle school parking lot, but from my experience the stuff is outrageously priced. I go to the one in Springfield frequently and it's amazing!!!!
Women are Angels

And when someone breaks our wings....

We simply continue to fly.........on a broomstick...

Because we are flexible like that

Offline knpeterson

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2009, 04:44:46 PM »
Well I live at the end of W highway (Turkey Ridge) so I don't think I will be setting up there. But my mother lives on Hwy A (Richland) and has all of the Lake traffic.  I actually thought about setting up there but I don't want to get stuck w/ a bunch of produce that didn't sell since it is not exactly cheap to grow it this way.  Also, I think I might be able to get better prices if I was inside city limits.

Offline knpeterson

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2009, 04:55:13 PM »
bliss, I'm curious...do you remember how much they charge for stuff?  I'm growing an organic and gourmet type garden.  Things not usually found in stores. Such as purple and orange cauliflower, asparagus beans, purple beans, several types of fingerling potatoes, different types of squash, huge assortment of peppers and too much more to type. 
My produce will be slightly higher than that found in stores.  My produce is grown with love and hard work and picked by hand the day it is sold and gown w/o the use of dangerous chemicals.  The stuff at the store has been harvested by a machine and moved with bobcats and harvested probably a week before it arrives at the store states away.  Plus...mine has taste! :)

Offline igahmah at work

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2009, 05:10:01 PM »
They don't have one at the middle school anymore.  Last summer they moved it to Buckhorn.

Offline igahmah at work

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2009, 05:10:37 PM »
I didn't think the prices were too high there just wasn't enough selection to make it worth my time to stop there.

Offline knpeterson

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2009, 05:17:52 PM »
Yup, selection was my concern, I'm growing so much stuff. I was worried that everyone might just have run of the mill stuff. Tomatoes squash and cukes and people wouldn't care to stop.  I don't want to be stuck in the middle of that but I don't want to drive really far either but I still have to make some kind of profit.

Offline knpeterson

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2009, 05:18:24 PM »
Anyone know why it was moved from the middle school to buckhorn? 

Offline blissfullybusy

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2009, 05:31:40 PM »
bliss, I'm curious...do you remember how much they charge for stuff?  I'm growing an organic and gourmet type garden.  Things not usually found in stores. Such as purple and orange cauliflower, asparagus beans, purple beans, several types of fingerling potatoes, different types of squash, huge assortment of peppers and too much more to type. 
My produce will be slightly higher than that found in stores.  My produce is grown with love and hard work and picked by hand the day it is sold and gown w/o the use of dangerous chemicals.  The stuff at the store has been harvested by a machine and moved with bobcats and harvested probably a week before it arrives at the store states away.  Plus...mine has taste! :)

The stuff that was there was simple tomatoes and cucumbers, nothing to write home about KWIM?  I grow those in my own garden.  I usually go to the farmers market to find things like you mentioned. :-)  Fresh green beans cause I don't have the ability to grow them. haha
Women are Angels

Offline igahmah at work

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2009, 05:33:56 PM »
If I were you I would go to Luther Thomas Ent office.  It is located in the little mini mall where Lepards used to be, by cable tv.  Ask them if they would let you set up there to sell you stuff.  All they can say is no.  Not there by their office but across the street where the donut store used to be.  Another good place would be on the lot where Daisy's used to be.  Anybody know who owns that.

Offline fknarmyguyretired

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2009, 05:40:00 PM »
I think that grassy area in front of Executive Reality and Whiskeys would be a good area to sell produce.

Offline Eden

• Not in Drama Club or on the Debate Team!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2009, 05:41:41 PM »
There is a farmer's market at the fairgrounds in Rolla - I don't know much about it but may be worth checking into. The Extension Center has the Master Gardeners group, I would call and check with them.
"Heaven has no rage like love to hatred turned, Nor hell a fury like a woman scorned"

Offline Yankee Trader

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2009, 05:42:22 PM »
If you want a busy Farmer's Market check out Rolla, Lebanon or Camdenton.  The market manager here has never done anything to promote it or get new vendors.  2 years ago when we checked it out it took 2 weeks + just to get a return call.  We would love a good local market for our soaps and herbs.

At my old farm we used to drive an hour to sell at a farmer's mkt.

Offline blissfullybusy

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2009, 05:44:17 PM »
Maybe you should consider starting one.  This is a great place to advertise for vendors.  Just a thought.
Women are Angels

Offline knpeterson

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2009, 05:49:29 PM »
That is a good idea igahmah, I might do that.  I would really like to find other people who would like to sell with me just to bring in more people and offer more selection.  I actually wondered about the parking lot of the community center.  I wonder if that would be a possiblity for an actual Sat. farmers market.  I think it is a central location it wouldn't be too far for anyone to drive.  Buckhorn is to far.  I was thinking about trying to get a better one up and running. I teach school so I have my summers free.  I just didn't know what was around here.  I tried the one at Camdenton (that is where I teach) and I have not got a response yet and it has been more than 2 weeks.  I will be selling free-range farm eggs as well.

Offline knpeterson

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2009, 05:51:22 PM »
a grassy area would be nice!  An asphalt parking lot takes the fresh out of fresh veggies real quick!

Offline CriTTer

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2009, 05:59:25 PM »
I am not sure but H & L in Crocker may have at 1 time or another bought and resold local produce.. watermelons, tomatoes ect.  not 100% but i kind of remember them doing that. they might be interested in some "gourmet" style produce if they could turn  a profit from it... call down there and ask for Joe, he would be able to tell you yes or no.  just a thought if you have a over abundance

Offline knpeterson

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2009, 06:03:50 PM »
A lot of restaurants will purchase produce also. Sometimes the stores and restaurants want price cuts.  I can still sell the same stuff to folks for the price I want and I get to meet new people.

Offline Yankee Trader

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2009, 06:07:27 PM »
Maybe you should consider starting one.  This is a great place to advertise for vendors.  Just a thought.

We thought about that 2 yrs ago but time is the killer.  Right now with the cuts in my staff and overtime I hardly ever see the family so that is still out.

Offline knpeterson

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2009, 06:11:22 PM »
Yankee what do you do?  I assume something with candles?  I have just started raising bees and one day hope to try to make my own beeswax candles.

Offline Yankee Trader

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2009, 06:22:24 PM »
Yankee what do you do?  I assume something with candles?  I have just started raising bees and one day hope to try to make my own beeswax candles.

Hit the wrong button lol.  Here is the proper post.

Bath and body products - soaps, lotions, scrubs bath fizzies.
Small soy candles and tarts

I have finally got my herbs going down here.  Used to have 1 1/4 acres of garden beds at my old farm in Bates County but went to work fulltime when I moved down here and that has been my downfall.

If you ever have a spare swarm I have an empty hive in need of occupants lol

Offline knpeterson

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2009, 06:28:44 PM »
I'm hoping to catch some swarms this year and requeen them. Its much cheaper than buying the bees!

Offline knpeterson

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2009, 06:30:29 PM »
I love soy candles!! They are my fav!  They just burn so nice and even and I think distribute scent better.

Offline Yankee Trader

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2009, 06:43:04 PM »
Ditto on the soy plus soap and water cleanup and an American product.