Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • littlebit: Makes sense.
    July 16, 2017, 04:40:28 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Boards will stay open for a place people can find history information longer. I am not allowing anyone to sign up for now because of so many foreginers just wanting to promote their business..
    December 10, 2016, 05:10:27 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Not sure why didn't look, I may be shutting down these message boards..
    November 17, 2016, 12:42:43 AM
  • ~kathy~: rick why is the timestamp showing up a day in advance?
    September 13, 2016, 12:27:46 AM
  • Valor7: What I tried to say is that the actual money would not be there that quick. But a loan against that would work if they are willing to do that.
    August 08, 2016, 01:51:51 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Why so long before it comes online? 911 took out a loan or bond with the known guarantee payment and began building..
    August 08, 2016, 07:46:34 AM
  • Valor7: Actually no it is not, a dependable Revenue stream will not come on line until the 4th quarter of 2017 so 2018 budget will be up in the air, not quite sure what they will have. By 2019 budget all will be well.
    August 04, 2016, 09:27:17 PM
  • Valor7: You mean that tax that the Commissioners would not put on the ballot for so many years? Strange things happened when the citizens got a chance to vote on that issue.
    August 03, 2016, 06:43:06 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Back up is now available withe the new tax..
    August 03, 2016, 05:01:35 PM
  • Valor7: Thanks a lot Ladies!!
    July 29, 2016, 01:16:13 PM
  • littlebit: ((*(*&
    July 27, 2016, 03:47:52 PM
  • ~kathy~: lol
    July 15, 2016, 09:34:56 AM
  • Valor7: A guy could get killed around here while waiting for backup!
    July 13, 2016, 07:31:58 PM
  • Lepard LLC: You are not alone..
    July 13, 2016, 07:28:53 PM
  • Valor7: I just hate it when I talk to myself!!!!
    July 08, 2016, 12:54:09 PM
  • Valor7: I could have worded that better, we talked details, options, the pros and cons of each, in  order to arrive at the best ballot language to present to the voters. Hope that makes this clearer.
    April 15, 2016, 06:36:14 PM
  • Valor7: sorry about the typos still working with just one arm in action
    April 13, 2016, 01:10:42 PM
  • Valor7: Yes and no. We talked details and options until we were blue in the face but I never heardbring it over, it was always the time was not right for the issue to pass. Glad to see the time in now right and I for one shall vote yes on the ballot. I would urge all others to do the sameour county is busting at the seams crimewise and no matter how many bad guys we send off there always seems to someone to replace them. The Sheriff's Office needs the help.
    April 13, 2016, 01:08:35 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Is that true Valor? Did he ask you what you wanted?
    March 01, 2016, 04:55:37 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Gene Newkirk Rick I have waited for a Sheriff to bring it to me on what he wanted. I have pushed Mr long for a while to get it to me. He told me he was close to having or done. Now hopefully the people will get to decide on it. I spoke with Steve about this a few times.
    March 01, 2016, 04:54:54 AM
  • Kimberly: Wow- I have a new name..........
    February 23, 2016, 10:25:15 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Works on mine, improvements are being done here. I may kick back into her a lot and post but working on different technologies right now. Seeing how things interact.
    January 18, 2016, 09:01:20 AM
  • Valor7: Yes it is working. If you need a laugh the wife showed me how to correctly use the silly thing.
    January 04, 2016, 05:32:59 PM
  • Valor7: Think so, mine is trying to work but it is now user and password protected and I dont know mine
    December 17, 2015, 01:32:16 PM
  • "DJ": Is there still a working android app for the PCSD
    December 14, 2015, 08:14:53 PM

Author Topic: Two Okaloosa deputies killed by gunman  (Read 2025 times)

Offline ♥♣ ~Maynard~♣♥

• GOING GREEN: Save a tree,eat a beaver.
    • View Profile
Two Okaloosa deputies killed by gunman
« on: April 25, 2009, 09:50:06 PM »

Share/Bookmark

Fort Wood Hotel

Boards

Devils Elbow

Attractions

Sports

St. Robert

Waynesville

PC Daily

Dixon

Menu Guide

Fun Links

Homework

Crocker

Fort Wood

Swedeborg

Big Piney

Laquey

Classifieds

Restaurants

Richland

Fort  Hotels

My local news not yours.............worth reading
support your local sheriff!!
   http://www.pnj.com/article/20090425/NEWS01/90425003

Here is more on the story I just mentioned in another thread.

Two Okaloosa deputies killed by gunman

From staff reports • April 25, 2009

CRESTVIEW — Authorities say two Okaloosa County sheriff’s deputies have been shot and killed.

Sheriff's spokesman Michelle Nicholson confirmed that the two deputies, who had been airlifted to Sacred Heart Hospital in Pensacola, have died.

The shooting occurred around 1 p.m. Saturday, when the two deputies went to Shoal River Sporting Clays and Shooting Center, near Crestview, in response to a call, Nicholson said.

Authorities say the suspect shot and hit both deputies and took off towards neighboring Walton County. The suspect's vehicle flipped while trying to evade spike strips. The suspect then started shooting at the pursuing deputies, who returned fire, killing him.

“Our deputies pursued him into Walton County shots were exchanged and he was killed,” Nicholson said.

A man who answered the telephone at the shooting center said he had no comment on the shooting.

Nicholson said the injured deputes were airlifted to Pensacola because Okaloosa County does not have trauma center.

“It was serious because they had to be airlifted,” she said.

Last year, An Okaloosa County Sheriff’s deputy was shot and killed in August following a standoff with a man who had barricaded himself inside a home.

Okaloosa County Sheriff Charles Morris was suspended by Gov. Charlie Crist in February after he was arrested by FBI agents while on a gambling trip to Las Vegas.

Morris and his former office manager were indicted by a federal grand jury on Thursday on theft, money laundering and conspiracy charges. Prosecutors allege Morris and his former office manager, Teresa Adams, created fictitious bonuses for sheriff’s department employees then pocketed some of the money.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
Remember I'm a nudist so when you respond to one of my post yor talking to a naked man  :)

For entertainment purposes only. Any resemblance to real persons living or dead is purely coincidental.

Offline wyd2060

• View Profile
Re: Two Okaloosa deputies killed by gunman
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2009, 12:29:56 PM »
Maynard -
Have the released the names of the deputies that were killed?

Wipe off the blood and get back in the game!
Blue's Hockey

Offline ♥♣ ~Maynard~♣♥

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2009, 06:32:01 PM »
Maynard -
Have the released the names of the deputies that were killed?

Yes mam they have...
Here's more of the story and Pictures of all involved.
http://www.pnj.com/article/20090426/NEWS01/904260328/1006
Remember I'm a nudist so when you respond to one of my post yor talking to a naked man  :)

For entertainment purposes only. Any resemblance to real persons living or dead is purely coincidental.

Offline okie the thread killer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2009, 06:39:28 PM »
And they were both wearing vests, is that correct?
I have it on good authority that the Hokey-Pokey really IS what it's all about.

Offline wyd2060

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2009, 07:15:19 PM »
Thanks Maynard.  What a tragedy.
Wipe off the blood and get back in the game!
Blue's Hockey

Offline ♥♣ ~Maynard~♣♥

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2009, 07:16:43 PM »
And they were both wearing vests, is that correct?
Yes they were.
But there is a whole lot that a vest doesn't cover.
And a lot of weapons that will shoot thru a vest also.

Offline okie the thread killer

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2009, 07:19:06 PM »
I know, I was just thinking how you can take all the proper procedures and it sometimes still doesn't help. Such a tragedy.
I have it on good authority that the Hokey-Pokey really IS what it's all about.

Offline Law101

• Global Moderator
  • Big Piney Community Activist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2009, 12:25:26 PM »
Such a tragedy can happen any time or anywhere, even here.  That is why it is so inportant that all of our LE Depts. have the best safety equipment they can get. 

Offline I have no username

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2009, 07:23:23 PM »
Okaloosa County officials said the deputies were attempting to arrest Cartwright in connection with a domestic violence incident at his Fort Walton Beach home earlier in the morning.

Why didnt they wait until he was DONE shooting recreationally and arrest him while his gun was cased, put up etc.  Seems awful ballsy to arrest someone WHILE they are shooting. 

Although it is a tragedy, use some common sense.
Μολὼν λαβέ

If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom.
Dwight D. Eisenhower

Offline pneu357

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2009, 07:16:55 AM »
Danos660r, so the deputies should have wanted until he cased his weapons and left the range?  Of course him being a law bidding citizen he would have done that…yea right!  The Cartwright already had a pending domestic violence charge that he was going to court on.  Not to mention Cartwright had been known to beat on his prior girlfriends.  He was also known in the county as a violent person not to mention the dozen or so traffic violations he had been convicted of.  I believe the deputies made the right discussion and attempted to stop Cartwright before he had an opportunity to do further damage in the community.  He had already beating his wife to the point she was at the hospital, which initiated the search.  Also when the call went over the radio he was described as armed and dangerous, making it no different than stopping Cartwright on a public street (that is if he would have stopped).  The deputies had the situation to their advantage until Cartwright pulled out a concealed weapon and fired numerous shots.  I know we all have your opinions about this incident, and the majority have a hundred “what if” questions, but the bottom line is the Okaloosa County Sheriffs Department lost two very brave men and came very close to losing more. Let the Okaloosa County Sheriff’s Department hurt, let them grieve, and let them heal. This is such a tragedy and I pray for the Deputies and their families.  This isn’t something that needs to be “Monday morning quarterbacked.”

Offline ♥♣ ~Maynard~♣♥

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2009, 07:57:46 AM »
Danos660r, so the deputies should have wanted until he cased his weapons and left the range?  Of course him being a law bidding citizen he would have done that…yea right!  The Cartwright already had a pending domestic violence charge that he was going to court on.  Not to mention Cartwright had been known to beat on his prior girlfriends.  He was also known in the county as a violent person not to mention the dozen or so traffic violations he had been convicted of.  I believe the deputies made the right discussion and attempted to stop Cartwright before he had an opportunity to do further damage in the community.  He had already beating his wife to the point she was at the hospital, which initiated the search.  Also when the call went over the radio he was described as armed and dangerous, making it no different than stopping Cartwright on a public street (that is if he would have stopped).  The deputies had the situation to their advantage until Cartwright pulled out a concealed weapon and fired numerous shots.  I know we all have your opinions about this incident, and the majority have a hundred “what if” questions, but the bottom line is the Okaloosa County Sheriffs Department lost two very brave men and came very close to losing more. Let the Okaloosa County Sheriff’s Department hurt, let them grieve, and let them heal. This is such a tragedy and I pray for the Deputies and their families.  This isn’t something that needs to be “Monday morning quarterbacked.”
Pneu357 you seem to be well informed about this crime, are you from Okaloosa county or have you been station at one of the military bases down here?

And Danos660 your not getting the whole story unless you research it.
There Sheriff and all involved seem to think everything was done right under the circumstances and if theres a chance theres going to be shots fired where better than a shooting range?
The deputys were well experenced and spent time with this fellow before......... and it is starting to look more and more like suicide by cop as an outcome.
There has been around 10 people killed violently in the last three day in our area and a couple drownings and a few fatal car wrecks.
So come on down for some fun in the sun you chances of getting killed here are better than Iraq and thats no shit!! %%$%$$# :anger:

Offline I have no username

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2009, 12:46:41 PM »
interesting, I recind my comment :-)
Μολὼν λαβέ

If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom.
Dwight D. Eisenhower