Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • littlebit: Makes sense.
    July 16, 2017, 04:40:28 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Boards will stay open for a place people can find history information longer. I am not allowing anyone to sign up for now because of so many foreginers just wanting to promote their business..
    December 10, 2016, 05:10:27 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Not sure why didn't look, I may be shutting down these message boards..
    November 17, 2016, 12:42:43 AM
  • ~kathy~: rick why is the timestamp showing up a day in advance?
    September 13, 2016, 12:27:46 AM
  • Valor7: What I tried to say is that the actual money would not be there that quick. But a loan against that would work if they are willing to do that.
    August 08, 2016, 01:51:51 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Why so long before it comes online? 911 took out a loan or bond with the known guarantee payment and began building..
    August 08, 2016, 07:46:34 AM
  • Valor7: Actually no it is not, a dependable Revenue stream will not come on line until the 4th quarter of 2017 so 2018 budget will be up in the air, not quite sure what they will have. By 2019 budget all will be well.
    August 04, 2016, 09:27:17 PM
  • Valor7: You mean that tax that the Commissioners would not put on the ballot for so many years? Strange things happened when the citizens got a chance to vote on that issue.
    August 03, 2016, 06:43:06 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Back up is now available withe the new tax..
    August 03, 2016, 05:01:35 PM
  • Valor7: Thanks a lot Ladies!!
    July 29, 2016, 01:16:13 PM
  • littlebit: ((*(*&
    July 27, 2016, 03:47:52 PM
  • ~kathy~: lol
    July 15, 2016, 09:34:56 AM
  • Valor7: A guy could get killed around here while waiting for backup!
    July 13, 2016, 07:31:58 PM
  • Lepard LLC: You are not alone..
    July 13, 2016, 07:28:53 PM
  • Valor7: I just hate it when I talk to myself!!!!
    July 08, 2016, 12:54:09 PM
  • Valor7: I could have worded that better, we talked details, options, the pros and cons of each, in  order to arrive at the best ballot language to present to the voters. Hope that makes this clearer.
    April 15, 2016, 06:36:14 PM
  • Valor7: sorry about the typos still working with just one arm in action
    April 13, 2016, 01:10:42 PM
  • Valor7: Yes and no. We talked details and options until we were blue in the face but I never heardbring it over, it was always the time was not right for the issue to pass. Glad to see the time in now right and I for one shall vote yes on the ballot. I would urge all others to do the sameour county is busting at the seams crimewise and no matter how many bad guys we send off there always seems to someone to replace them. The Sheriff's Office needs the help.
    April 13, 2016, 01:08:35 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Is that true Valor? Did he ask you what you wanted?
    March 01, 2016, 04:55:37 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Gene Newkirk Rick I have waited for a Sheriff to bring it to me on what he wanted. I have pushed Mr long for a while to get it to me. He told me he was close to having or done. Now hopefully the people will get to decide on it. I spoke with Steve about this a few times.
    March 01, 2016, 04:54:54 AM
  • Kimberly: Wow- I have a new name..........
    February 23, 2016, 10:25:15 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Works on mine, improvements are being done here. I may kick back into her a lot and post but working on different technologies right now. Seeing how things interact.
    January 18, 2016, 09:01:20 AM
  • Valor7: Yes it is working. If you need a laugh the wife showed me how to correctly use the silly thing.
    January 04, 2016, 05:32:59 PM
  • Valor7: Think so, mine is trying to work but it is now user and password protected and I dont know mine
    December 17, 2015, 01:32:16 PM
  • "DJ": Is there still a working android app for the PCSD
    December 14, 2015, 08:14:53 PM

Author Topic: Wiskeys Bar  (Read 13124 times)

Offline jeepguy

• View Profile
Wiskeys Bar
« on: April 27, 2009, 03:21:15 PM »

Share/Bookmark

Fort Wood Hotel

Boards

Devils Elbow

Attractions

Sports

St. Robert

Waynesville

PC Daily

Dixon

Menu Guide

Fun Links

Homework

Crocker

Fort Wood

Swedeborg

Big Piney

Laquey

Classifieds

Restaurants

Richland

Fort  Hotels

We went there Friday night for the second time, we were bouncing around from Bar to Bar having a beer and just checking out the area, we went into Wiskeys and they wanted to charge us $5 to get in, I talked to one of the owners and told him that there were 21 of us that wanted to come in and have a beer and then leave and wanted to know if he would wave the cover charge, he said no, I was amazed that he would turn away so many people, so we went to Shenanigans and spent a but load of money, Man I have heard of some bad bussiness decisions but that one takes the cake.

Offline 48fan

• View Profile
Re: Wiskeys Bar
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2009, 04:18:41 PM »
Why do they charge a cover? Do they have live entertainment?

Offline jeepguy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2009, 05:20:44 PM »
nope, that is what we could not understand, I refuse to pay a cover charge at a bar when I'm going to spend money in there anyways. just not good business sense. I hope james knows what his partner is doing to the place because he is loosing alot of money

Offline fknarmyguyretired

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2009, 06:24:14 PM »
They are just trying to keep the rif-raf like me out !  I refuse to pay a cover unless a place has a live band or entertainment, and then the cover must be a reasonable amount.  And no, a DJ does not qualify as justification to charge  a cover for me.

Offline 48fan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2009, 06:57:29 PM »
Guess I fall into the same boat because I wouldn't pay to go drink. To many FREE bars..

Offline Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2009, 04:21:37 AM »
Thanks, don't go to many bars but now know of one I sure won't go to.
If your going to be dumb, you better be tough!

Offline jeepguy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2009, 11:57:17 AM »
same here if they have a band I will pay, but not for a DJ.

Offline Lepard LLC

• Activist
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2009, 12:33:17 PM »
Area 151, Twilite, and Ramada have covers, this isn't anything new for larger uptown bars..  Jeep you said you went there before so you knew there was a cover, right

Offline 48fan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2009, 12:37:09 PM »
Uptown Bars.. HA HA HA This is St Robert we are talking about..

Offline jeepguy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2009, 06:16:41 PM »
yes I have gone there before and there was no cover charge, it is the same at Area 151 and at the Ramada, but they don't charge us because of the number of people we bring in with us.

Offline Lepard LLC

• Activist
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2010, 08:17:01 PM »
Tonight is their last night in business, doors are closing.

Offline kari

• Always looking in.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2010, 08:48:10 PM »
Don't know if it's true, but I heard rumor that there was some problem with a fundraiser for Eddie Acosta? 
Proud to have served, US Army, WAC

Offline Lepard LLC

• Activist
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2010, 09:07:49 PM »
No problem at all.

Don't know if it's true, but I heard rumor that there was some problem with a fundraiser for Eddie Acosta?

Offline littlebit

• Cunning Linguist
  • Home is what you make it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2010, 12:47:50 AM »
Wasn't it called whiskey's?
Some people are like Slinkies... Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

I'd give my left arm to be ambidextrous...

ďThe truth is, everyone is going to end up hurting you. You just have to find the ones who are worth suffering for.Ē

Offline blissfullybusy

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2010, 02:19:33 AM »
Tonight is their last night in business, doors are closing.

Wonder why
Women are Angels

And when someone breaks our wings....

We simply continue to fly.........on a broomstick...

Because we are flexible like that

Offline Digital Narcosis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2010, 03:08:38 AM »
This town is too small for more than two or three nightclubs.  There isn't the population base here to support all of them.

Its unfortunate... but it happens pretty often.

Wonder why

Offline okie the thread killer

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2010, 03:34:03 AM »
well have to call a bit of bs there....back in the 70's and early 80's, every bar in town was packed.....and there were a bunch of them, and I am talking 7 days a week......my husband is a musician, and that supported us for many many years...
I have it on good authority that the Hokey-Pokey really IS what it's all about.

Offline tpgunbiz

• B.M.F.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2010, 05:17:29 AM »
Problem is now they dont let all those guys loose every weekend now. The town has changed tremendously in the past ten years. We used to line em up friday night and be booked until sunday. Now we wish and hope some get loose and even then we still have to hope we get some of them. Ill be glad when the economy goes back to normal and the fort does as well. were choking as well
Biscuit

Offline Digital Narcosis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2010, 10:32:22 AM »
Its not BS.  Its my business to know these things because it effects my... well, business.

Live music doesn't mean a whole lot to anyone right now.  I've already been down this road in this town and it just doesn't work here.  I don't blame the musicians... I blame current American culture... or at least the culture that is perceived as popular in this area that is a piece of American culture..  Bands don't sell anymore.  Bands do a lot better in college towns... and even then its becoming a dying act.  Its unfortunate... but its true.  Blame hip hop and rap's popularity.  Nobody cares about SKILL anymore when it comes to music.

The media is selling garbage as gold and everyone seems to be eager to take a bit bite and smile and buy whatever new clothing line is being pushed by whatever fast talking talentless criminal they dressed up and called a musician this week who resamples old 80's melodies who's catalog rights they've bought up because their copyrights ran out.

The population goes where the hype is at... and unfortunately... all people seem to care about anymore is getting drunk and getting laid and listening to the same 3 rap songs all night.  Granted getting drunk and laid was the goal of most people before... the people before just seemed to appreciate a little bit more variety outside of shots, thugs and hood rats.

The two main clubs in town are Area 151 and Trinity... they're too huge for anyone to compete against.  There just isn't enough population base here to justify other clubs... if we were somewhere like Springfield or even Columbia... everyone would be able to get a piece of the action... but as it stands... its just not going to happen.

If someone wanted to make money opening up a new club... St. Robert isn't the town to do it in.  Somewhere like Rolla would be a better bet.  Something to appeal to the college kids.  There is one bar here in Rolla that I know about... and its not very big.  I seems to do BIG business on the weekends though... probably because this is a college town and its the only bar around here... so there aren't many options.

Its just too bad someone won't open something here and DO IT RIGHT... the thing on Pine street was a joke... that's why its dead and forgotten.

well have to call a bit of bs there....back in the 70's and early 80's, every bar in town was packed.....and there were a bunch of them, and I am talking 7 days a week......my husband is a musician, and that supported us for many many years...

Offline Lepard LLC

• Activist
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2010, 11:35:00 AM »
Digital, you need to get out and look around, the smaller clubs here are thriving with bands. A club like 151 can't survive on bands easily, but then they have never tried the correct bands, although great bands are rare. Your world is one made up of 18 to 22 and that is what the large bars have to do to survive.. I have never seen so many bands doing well locally..

Its not BS.  Its my business to know these things because it effects my... well, business.

Live music doesn't mean a whole lot to anyone right now.  I've already been down this road in this town and it just doesn't work here.  I don't blame the musicians... I blame current American culture... or at least the culture that is perceived as popular in this area that is a piece of American culture..  Bands don't sell anymore.  Bands do a lot better in college towns... and even then its becoming a dying act.  Its unfortunate... but its true.  Blame hip hop and rap's popularity.  Nobody cares about SKILL anymore when it comes to music.

The media is selling garbage as gold and everyone seems to be eager to take a bit bite and smile and buy whatever new clothing line is being pushed by whatever fast talking talentless criminal they dressed up and called a musician this week who resamples old 80's melodies who's catalog rights they've bought up because their copyrights ran out.

The population goes where the hype is at... and unfortunately... all people seem to care about anymore is getting drunk and getting laid and listening to the same 3 rap songs all night.  Granted getting drunk and laid was the goal of most people before... the people before just seemed to appreciate a little bit more variety outside of shots, thugs and hood rats.

The two main clubs in town are Area 151 and Trinity... they're too huge for anyone to compete against.  There just isn't enough population base here to justify other clubs... if we were somewhere like Springfield or even Columbia... everyone would be able to get a piece of the action... but as it stands... its just not going to happen.

If someone wanted to make money opening up a new club... St. Robert isn't the town to do it in.  Somewhere like Rolla would be a better bet.  Something to appeal to the college kids.  There is one bar here in Rolla that I know about... and its not very big.  I seems to do BIG business on the weekends though... probably because this is a college town and its the only bar around here... so there aren't many options.

Its just too bad someone won't open something here and DO IT RIGHT... the thing on Pine street was a joke... that's why its dead and forgotten.

Offline Just_a_Biker

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2010, 07:41:59 PM »
I have to disagree DN.  Maybe bands in "clubs" don't do well, but get out of the "club" and check out the local bars in the area.  There are bands every weekend, and the bars that have GOOD bands are packed.  Look at what Shaky J's in Dixon has done to accommodate bands & crowds during the warmer months.  Bands aren't dying out; they are making a come back and folks are coming out to listen to more & more live music... I know this because, well... it's my "business" to know it as well :-)

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. Cicero - 55 BC, Rome

Offline Digital Narcosis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2010, 07:42:36 PM »
How many local bands do we even have here?

I saw a sign for Ten Down the other day... and Eternity's End comes to mind because I heard some advertisement for them recently... other than that I cannot even think of any...

Digital, you need to get out and look around, the smaller clubs here are thriving with bands. A club like 151 can't survive on bands easily, but then they have never tried the correct bands, although great bands are rare. Your world is one made up of 18 to 22 and that is what the large bars have to do to survive.. I have never seen so many bands doing well locally..

Offline Digital Narcosis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2010, 07:45:37 PM »
What is your definition of "packed?"  60 people?  100?

What is Shaky J's occupancy limit even?

I have to disagree DN.  Maybe bands in "clubs" don't do well, but get out of the "club" and check out the local bars in the area.  There are bands every weekend, and the bars that have GOOD bands are packed.  Look at what Shaky J's in Dixon has done to accommodate bands & crowds during the warmer months.  Bands aren't dying out; they are making a come back and folks are coming out to listen to more & more live music... I know this because, well... it's my "business" to know it as well :-)

Offline Geezer Glide Taz

• Land Of The Free, Because Of The Brave
  • Riding Vertical Shiny Side Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2010, 07:57:00 PM »
Shaky Js? We had that many bikers Saturday just for a run, and the place was not packed, and apparently you have not seen his Beer garden and stage, you can fit an easy 200 there. When he had ATG and Cricket playing, both inside and out was packed. They had to create a large parking lot down towards the back to accommodate the parking, and even then they cars had to park along D Hwy. They also don't have a large overhead like the big night clubs either, so when they have 200 people there through the night, they have a very profitable night.
Freedom Of Road Riders,
Protecting and informing riders in Missouri
www.midamericafreedomrally.com

Please watch out for Motorcycles on the road
The life you save might be mine

Offline Just_a_Biker

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2010, 07:59:44 PM »
What is your definition of "packed?"  60 people?  100?

What is Shaky J's occupancy limit even?

"Packed" depends on the size of the bar, obviously.  "Packed" for Bottoms Up is going to be a drop in the bucket when compared to 151.  I was referring to the beer garden that Shaky J's built, not the building itself; no idea what the capacity is.

Different strokes for different folks.  Some folks like to shake their money makers on a packed dance floor listening to wiggy wiggy boom boom stuff & others like to relax & appreciate live music.  Age obviously plays a big part in where people choose to go, and we are fortunate to have a good variety of different establishments in our area that cover a wide range of likes & interests.  My point was that live music is very much alive & thriving here in Pulaski County, and smaller establishments are starting to see the benefit that live music brings.
The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. Cicero - 55 BC, Rome

Offline Digital Narcosis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2010, 10:07:07 PM »
How many bands do we have around here?

Offline Racer

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2010, 10:19:43 PM »

Generation Gap     :th_thicon_super:

Offline 2CardJohnE

• Go to your profile and put something here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2010, 10:20:49 PM »
They come from all over. listen to the "homegrown" radio show on 93.5 at the lake every sunday.  They have locals who have recorded and pushing there own songs
John Wayne said it best, "I may not have voted for him, but he is MY President

Offline Chas

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2010, 10:32:41 PM »
Several of the bars also bring in bands from surrounding areas.  But around here there is Against the Grain, Flashback, First Cum, Kricket Alley, Eternityís End, Randyman Band, Ten Down, and Piney Creek.  There are several others just canít think of their names at the moment. Buddy Green and the electric haze and SoundBoxx  not sure where they are from but they play around here.   I know of four bars that have live music not every weekend but when they do, there is no cover.  You can find at least two bars a weekend that has live music.   I miss just a regular ole DJ that played a little of it all. Like they had back in the Pine, Silver Star, and The Top Hat. Those of you that were here back in the 80s and 90s know what I mean. A couple of you on here were DJs.   Iím tired of Karaoke not that I ever cared for it to begin with.