Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • littlebit: Makes sense.
    July 16, 2017, 04:40:28 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Boards will stay open for a place people can find history information longer. I am not allowing anyone to sign up for now because of so many foreginers just wanting to promote their business..
    December 10, 2016, 05:10:27 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Not sure why didn't look, I may be shutting down these message boards..
    November 17, 2016, 12:42:43 AM
  • ~kathy~: rick why is the timestamp showing up a day in advance?
    September 13, 2016, 12:27:46 AM
  • Valor7: What I tried to say is that the actual money would not be there that quick. But a loan against that would work if they are willing to do that.
    August 08, 2016, 01:51:51 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Why so long before it comes online? 911 took out a loan or bond with the known guarantee payment and began building..
    August 08, 2016, 07:46:34 AM
  • Valor7: Actually no it is not, a dependable Revenue stream will not come on line until the 4th quarter of 2017 so 2018 budget will be up in the air, not quite sure what they will have. By 2019 budget all will be well.
    August 04, 2016, 09:27:17 PM
  • Valor7: You mean that tax that the Commissioners would not put on the ballot for so many years? Strange things happened when the citizens got a chance to vote on that issue.
    August 03, 2016, 06:43:06 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Back up is now available withe the new tax..
    August 03, 2016, 05:01:35 PM
  • Valor7: Thanks a lot Ladies!!
    July 29, 2016, 01:16:13 PM
  • littlebit: ((*(*&
    July 27, 2016, 03:47:52 PM
  • ~kathy~: lol
    July 15, 2016, 09:34:56 AM
  • Valor7: A guy could get killed around here while waiting for backup!
    July 13, 2016, 07:31:58 PM
  • Lepard LLC: You are not alone..
    July 13, 2016, 07:28:53 PM
  • Valor7: I just hate it when I talk to myself!!!!
    July 08, 2016, 12:54:09 PM
  • Valor7: I could have worded that better, we talked details, options, the pros and cons of each, in  order to arrive at the best ballot language to present to the voters. Hope that makes this clearer.
    April 15, 2016, 06:36:14 PM
  • Valor7: sorry about the typos still working with just one arm in action
    April 13, 2016, 01:10:42 PM
  • Valor7: Yes and no. We talked details and options until we were blue in the face but I never heardbring it over, it was always the time was not right for the issue to pass. Glad to see the time in now right and I for one shall vote yes on the ballot. I would urge all others to do the sameour county is busting at the seams crimewise and no matter how many bad guys we send off there always seems to someone to replace them. The Sheriff's Office needs the help.
    April 13, 2016, 01:08:35 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Is that true Valor? Did he ask you what you wanted?
    March 01, 2016, 04:55:37 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Gene Newkirk Rick I have waited for a Sheriff to bring it to me on what he wanted. I have pushed Mr long for a while to get it to me. He told me he was close to having or done. Now hopefully the people will get to decide on it. I spoke with Steve about this a few times.
    March 01, 2016, 04:54:54 AM
  • Kimberly: Wow- I have a new name..........
    February 23, 2016, 10:25:15 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Works on mine, improvements are being done here. I may kick back into her a lot and post but working on different technologies right now. Seeing how things interact.
    January 18, 2016, 09:01:20 AM
  • Valor7: Yes it is working. If you need a laugh the wife showed me how to correctly use the silly thing.
    January 04, 2016, 05:32:59 PM
  • Valor7: Think so, mine is trying to work but it is now user and password protected and I dont know mine
    December 17, 2015, 01:32:16 PM
  • "DJ": Is there still a working android app for the PCSD
    December 14, 2015, 08:14:53 PM

Author Topic: Inmate Escape  (Read 29241 times)

Offline Lepard LLC

• Activist
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Inmate Escape
« on: May 06, 2009, 10:36:19 PM »

Share/Bookmark

Fort Wood Hotel

Boards

Devils Elbow

Attractions

Sports

St. Robert

Waynesville

PC Daily

Dixon

Menu Guide

Fun Links

Homework

Crocker

Fort Wood

Swedeborg

Big Piney

Laquey

Classifieds

Restaurants

Richland

Fort  Hotels

News Release
Inmate Escape
Pulaski County Sheriff J. B. King
May 6, 2009

At approximately 4:00pm May 6, 2009, an inmate from the Pulaski County Jail who was being treated at a local doctor’s office in Waynesville escaped from the office on foot. The inmate was being treated for a broken wrist and was not handcuffed.

The inmate is Joseph Esparza, W-M, 5-11, 210 pounds with hazel eyes and blonde hair. He was last seen wearing inmate orange but may have discarded that clothing. He was last seen on foot near Rice’s Cleaners on Mo. 17 highway.

If observed please call 911 and report his position.

Picture attached.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Sheriff J. B. King

• View Profile
Re: Inmate Escape
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2009, 10:44:33 PM »

News Release
Capture of Escaped Inmate
Pulaski County Sheriff J. B. King
May 6, 2009

At approximately 5:15pm the escaped Pulaski County inmate Joseph Esparza was taken into custody at a residence near Waynesville, Missouri, by members of the Pulaski County Sheriff’s Department.  The Waynesville City police and the St. Robert City Police along with the Missouri State Highway Patrol had also assisted with the manhunt or had been on the lookout for Esparza.

Offline demo.dave

• Im a veteran of the unspeakable.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2009, 10:46:30 PM »
Well damn...just over an hour. Couldnt you guys have toyed with him a little longer?

Offline igahmah at work

• Global Moderator
  • Some pursue happiness, others create it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2009, 11:07:59 PM »
I know him, dang it joey, what were you thinking.
When I was young, I wanted to be older.  This is not what I expected!

Offline littlebit

• Cunning Linguist
  • Home is what you make it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2009, 12:17:59 AM »
What was the original charge?
Some people are like Slinkies... Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

I'd give my left arm to be ambidextrous...

“The truth is, everyone is going to end up hurting you. You just have to find the ones who are worth suffering for.”

Offline okie the thread killer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2009, 12:28:52 AM »
Charge/Judgment
Description:    Resisting Arrest/Detention/Stop By Fleeing - Creating A Substantial Risk Of Serious Injury/Death To Any Person { Felony D RSMo: 575.150 }
Date:    04/25/2009    Code:    2702500       

I have it on good authority that the Hokey-Pokey really IS what it's all about.

Offline darrellmaurina

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2009, 01:55:05 AM »
County jail inmate recaptured after brief escape Wednesday

Joseph Esparza fled from custody Wednesday afternoon.
WAYNESVILLE, Mo. (May 6, 2009) — Sheriff J.B. King has spent tens of thousands of dollars to improve the physical security of his jail and voiced many concerns about the security procedures at a neighboring jail that often houses county inmates, but when he had his first inmate escape in many years, the lack of a $45 set of leg irons was what made the difference since the inmate was outside the jail walls at a doctor’s appointment. Deputies knew that Joseph Esparza was a flight risk; he was in the Pulaski County jail on charges stemming from a car chase last month during which he had fled from law enforcement personnel. However, he sustained a broken wrist during that car chase and subsequent crash, so deputies didn’t have him in handcuffs when they took him by foot, along with another inmate, by foot to a doctor’s office about a block away from the jail. When he got to the doctor’s office about 4 p.m. Wednesday, Esparza ran out of the office and the deputy couldn’t catch him. Esparza was recaptured 75 minutes later near Rice's Cleaners on Highway 17. Motives aren't yet clear for the escape, and it's not yet known if Esparza had help. “I don’t think he likes police very much and I don’t think he likes jail very much,” King said. Read More on Pulaski County Daily ...
Darrell Todd Maurina
Check out the Pulaski County Daily News online newspaper at
http://www.pulaskicountyweb.com
Cell: (573) 433.6733 * FAX: (573) 774-2349
Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/darrellmaurina/
Follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/darrellmaurina/

Offline Vado Del Rio

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2009, 02:10:12 AM »
Wish I was over there.  I've yet to be in a foot persuit.  The judge will have a field day with him for pulling that little stunt!

Offline Just_a_Biker

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2009, 02:12:01 AM »
All the more reason deputies and jail staff should carry a TASER (R)...
The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. Cicero - 55 BC, Rome

Offline jlh

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2009, 03:08:53 AM »
Great job to JB and all involved !!!!

Offline KaylasMom

• Lurker
  • Go to your profile and put something here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2009, 04:40:14 AM »
 ###$$#@! ###$$#@! Thats a joke right??? I am amazed that they have never had an escape before.

Joseph Esparza fled from custody Wednesday afternoon.
WAYNESVILLE, Mo. (May 6, 2009) — Sheriff J.B. King has spent tens of thousands of dollars to improve the physical security of his jail and voiced many concerns about the security procedures at a neighboring jail that often houses county inmates, but when he had his first inmate escape in many years, the lack of a $45 set of leg irons was what made the difference since the inmate was outside the jail walls at a doctor’s appointment. Deputies knew that Joseph Esparza was a flight risk; he was in the Pulaski County jail on charges stemming from a car chase last month during which he had fled from law enforcement personnel. However, he sustained a broken wrist during that car chase and subsequent crash, so deputies didn’t have him in handcuffs when they took him by foot, along with another inmate, by foot to a doctor’s office about a block away from the jail. When he got to the doctor’s office about 4 p.m. Wednesday, Esparza ran out of the office and the deputy couldn’t catch him. Esparza was recaptured 75 minutes later near Rice's Cleaners on Highway 17. Motives aren't yet clear for the escape, and it's not yet known if Esparza had help. “I don’t think he likes police very much and I don’t think he likes jail very much,” King said. Read More on Pulaski County Daily ...

Offline jeepguy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2009, 12:43:52 PM »
This is another reason that Law Enforcement should have some kind of fitness standard, plus a Taser and Ankle shackles would work too.

Offline Nanna

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2009, 01:01:37 PM »
Where were the deputies when he took off and what were they doing?

Offline whatsnew

• I love coffee
  • I must have coffee or I am very grouchy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2009, 01:07:13 PM »
I know him, dang it joey, what were you thinking.

I don't know Joey, but I know his mom. The sweetest person you could meet. Dang it Joey, what were you thinking?
Yesterday is history
Tomorrow is a mystery
Today is a gift
Thats why they call it the present

Offline darrellmaurina

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2009, 01:09:42 PM »

I don't mean to be rude, but I've seen questions like this frequently from people who may not realize I post only the lead paragraph or other key items here.

If you click the blue link that says "Read More on Pulaski County Daily...", you'll find the answer to the question along with the rest of the article.

In this particular case, the answer is here:
_____

When he got to the doctor’s office about 4 p.m. Wednesday, Esparza ran out of the office and the deputy couldn’t catch him.

King said there’s not much the deputy could have done.

“The deputy was watching two inmates and when he was unable to catch the one who ran in a relatively short period of time, he realized he was leaving the other inmate who didn’t run to do whatever he wanted, so he went back,” King said. “It’s too early to tell whether (Esparza) planned this, or whether he just thought of it at the spur of the moment.”

Deputies immediately called for help from the Waynesville and St. Robert police, as well as the Missouri State Highway Patrol, and were able to locate Esparza by 5:15 p.m. — barely an hour after he fled the doctor’s office. Esparza, who was located in a private residence on Highway 17 north of Waynesville near the old Rice’s Cleaners building, didn’t put up a fight when found.
Darrell Todd Maurina
Check out the Pulaski County Daily News online newspaper at
http://www.pulaskicountyweb.com
Cell: (573) 433.6733 * FAX: (573) 774-2349
Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/darrellmaurina/
Follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/darrellmaurina/

Offline igahmah at work

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2009, 02:07:29 PM »
His family has gone to our church and you are right, his mom is a sweetheart. Joey has been here several times recently and seemed to be trying to get his act together and walk out this problem he has.  He is a very sweet young man, I think he just....well don't want to make any accusations on here but dang it Joey, "what were you thinking."

Offline whatsnew

• I love coffee
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2009, 02:15:20 PM »
His family has gone to our church and you are right, his mom is a sweetheart. Joey has been here several times recently and seemed to be trying to get his act together and walk out this problem he has.  He is a very sweet young man, I think he just....well don't want to make any accusations on here but dang it Joey, "what were you thinking."

I know exactly how you feel...I just love his mom...
She was just saying the other day she wishes her days off were diff so she could go back to church.
Yesterday is history
Tomorrow is a mystery
Today is a gift

Offline igahmah at work

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2009, 02:18:42 PM »
When you see her tell her we miss her a lot.

Offline whatsnew

• I love coffee
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2009, 03:27:09 PM »
When you see her tell her we miss her a lot.
I sure will.
Yesterday is history
Tomorrow is a mystery
Today is a gift

Offline KaylasMom

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2009, 07:27:12 PM »

I will agree with DarrelMaurrina sorry if I spelled your name wrong on that one. But you can be the fittest cop in the world and if there going to get away it will make if tough on anyone because they already have a head start on the officer/deputy because its already in there mind and made up unfortunatly officers cannot read a suspects mind god knows there would be no need for a memorial service if they could. But I also agree why wasn't he leg shackled? That will not be answered on any article because it was a mistake ok his wrist is broke why wasnt there leg shackles and a belly chain on him you can handcuff the other hand to the belly chain he can run with leg shackles on but he isnt getting anywere fast. Most counties require that any time there is a trasport done on foot that two deputies or jail officers or a mixture of both must be present at all times, if that was the case then they could have left a deputy/officer there with the others while one pursued and caught him.

Unfortunatly for his mom she has to probably put up with this behavior for the rest of her life........whoever said life was fair to good people apparently never seen or met the criminal side of the world.

Offline Valor7

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2009, 01:46:31 PM »
I will agree with DarrelMaurrina sorry if I spelled your name wrong on that one. But you can be the fittest cop in the world and if there going to get away it will make if tough on anyone because they already have a head start on the officer/deputy because its already in there mind and made up unfortunatly officers cannot read a suspects mind god knows there would be no need for a memorial service if they could. But I also agree why wasn't he leg shackled? That will not be answered on any article because it was a mistake ok his wrist is broke why wasnt there leg shackles and a belly chain on him you can handcuff the other hand to the belly chain he can run with leg shackles on but he isnt getting anywere fast. Most counties require that any time there is a trasport done on foot that two deputies or jail officers or a mixture of both must be present at all times, if that was the case then they could have left a deputy/officer there with the others while one pursued and caught him.

Unfortunatly for his mom she has to probably put up with this behavior for the rest of her life........whoever said life was fair to good people apparently never seen or met the criminal side of the world.

Very good points. BUT we only have 5 jail staff members to work 24/7/365. I have been bitching about that since I first took office and have asked for more jail staff. Not happened so far. I have a federal grant application pending to add 5 more people to the jail IF we can win the grant.

As to the leg irons I told the staff to order 20 more sets after this. Not sure how we will pay for them but I will worry about that later.

Please remember that the county takes good care of our department. During the PAST FIVE BUDGETS the county has not provided a single penny in the county budget for; vehicles, uniforms, equipment, or training. Other than that we do the job right well without any manpower increase in the last 8 years. Of course they cut two officers from our budget this year because the county has no money to pay for them.

So you get what you have paid for.

I still think an LE tax is NECESSARY TO SURVIVE as a department but I also know that until you CITIZENS have had enough that it will not happen.

Until then we will do our best with what we have.

JB

Offline CriTTer

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2009, 04:42:13 PM »

Very good points. BUT we only have 5 jail staff members to work 24/7/365. I have been bitching about that since I first took office and have asked for more jail staff. Not happened so far. I have a federal grant application pending to add 5 more people to the jail IF we can win the grant.

As to the leg irons I told the staff to order 20 more sets after this. Not sure how we will pay for them but I will worry about that later.

Please remember that the county takes good care of our department. During the PAST FIVE BUDGETS the county has not provided a single penny in the county budget for; vehicles, uniforms, equipment, or training. Other than that we do the job right well without any manpower increase in the last 8 years. Of course they cut two officers from our budget this year because the county has no money to pay for them.

So you get what you have paid for.

I still think an LE tax is NECESSARY TO SURVIVE as a department but I also know that until you CITIZENS have had enough that it will not happen.

Until then we will do our best with what we have.

JB
  how many do you have now and why were they not used?

Offline OzarkCavs

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2009, 08:24:49 PM »
Jeepman, i created such a ruckuss some time ago, when i mentioned that a physcial fitness and ajility test should be done at hire and throughout the year with these officers.  But i still say that they should.  It is for their own safety and the safety of the people that could potentially be an innocent bystander, should someone try to kidnap, be chased by and the list goes on and on.  Im not meaning this in any hateful, sarcastic way at all!  i feel it should be something that these officers should have to do as a job requirement to make their job duties complete.  If this inmate was to have taken off on a foot chase or tried to hi-jack a car, could most officers chase them down and succeed?  I doubt it.

Offline CriTTer

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2009, 08:50:49 PM »
they give a agility test to be a corrections officer.    you have to go up 3 steps across the platform and down the other side and pick up a bean bag and put it on the platform.  then go run around chairs that are spaced across the gym floor = to 300 yards, then pick up a rope and drag a 150 lb dead weight 20 yards ALL in less then 216 seconds.    on a side note my OLD.  over weight azz did it in 206 ,  i knew all that running i did in high school would pay off some day

Offline shopper

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2009, 06:32:12 PM »
I don't think you can blame this on the county government funding. They did not make the decision to have only one person available to escort three. The person who was the escort should have made sure he/she could control all three at all times.

Offline okie the thread killer

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2009, 06:47:22 PM »
Maybe Dr. Thomas could come to the jail?
I have it on good authority that the Hokey-Pokey really IS what it's all about.

Offline OzarkCavs

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2009, 08:41:18 PM »
Say for example that a mother was innocently watching her children play in her yard.  A few hundred feet away, a person broke free of an arresting officer and a foot chase started.  Say the man runs right into this families yard and puts a gun to the childs head. Think about what measures could have taken place prior to the man reaching that child, so that no one was in harms way and the man wasn't able to get to that family to begin with.  That is only one example as to why i still say, that an officer should be able to pass a physcial fitness test and be randomly tested throughout his employment.  In this case, the officer should have been able to run after and catch this man before he even got to this family.  It isn't always about money, funding and lack of man power etc...  It is however, about the measures that can be taken to make this community a safer place by putting officers in, who can fulfill ALL duties required.  It doesn't cost the county money to run on a school track.

Offline pulaskiivoter

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2009, 09:07:54 PM »
I have read this with interest.  How can we say that the officer should have been able to chase down the inmate.  He had two inmates to watch.  If he would have chased one and the other walked away, then what would be said?

I see nothing in the article or anywhere I have read that fitness or a lack of it, led to this escape attempt. 

The question about that is this.  Sheriff how many officers do you now have that are physically unfit?  I think it is far less than before.

I think this really is a manning issue.  The ratio of inmates to escorts should be examined.  I supported and will continue to support the sheriff but this is not a budget issue.  It is a manning / management issue.

Offline oldcowpoke

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2009, 09:45:55 PM »
OR COURSE IT IS A MANNING ISSUE! And it absolutely is not a fitness issue. The ratio of inmates to escorts has been studied ad nauseum. How many years has Sheriff King been asking for more jail staff? These are the ones in charge of the prisoners. Would you rather he take road officers and use them for escort? That makes them unavailable to answer any emergency call that comes in, because of course they can not leave the prisoner they are escorting to get his hangnail treated (sorry -- broken wrist........)

Say there are two jailers on one shift -- possible, if not probable and never on night shift -- so one jailer can stay and guard the jail and the other can escort the prisoner(s) when they need to go somewhere else. Are you fitness freaks beginning to get the picture?

I have read this with interest.  How can we say that the officer should have been able to chase down the inmate.  He had two inmates to watch.  If he would have chased one and the other walked away, then what would be said?

I see nothing in the article or anywhere I have read that fitness or a lack of it, led to this escape attempt. 

The question about that is this.  Sheriff how many officers do you now have that are physically unfit?  I think it is far less than before.

I think this really is a manning issue.  The ratio of inmates to escorts should be examined.  I supported and will continue to support the sheriff but this is not a budget issue.  It is a manning / management issue.

Offline CriTTer

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2009, 09:57:17 PM »
the issue is why they were not in leg irons.  did the officer "trust" them so he did not put them on?   do we even have them?   yes or no