Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • littlebit: Makes sense.
    July 16, 2017, 04:40:28 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Boards will stay open for a place people can find history information longer. I am not allowing anyone to sign up for now because of so many foreginers just wanting to promote their business..
    December 10, 2016, 05:10:27 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Not sure why didn't look, I may be shutting down these message boards..
    November 17, 2016, 12:42:43 AM
  • ~kathy~: rick why is the timestamp showing up a day in advance?
    September 13, 2016, 12:27:46 AM
  • Valor7: What I tried to say is that the actual money would not be there that quick. But a loan against that would work if they are willing to do that.
    August 08, 2016, 01:51:51 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Why so long before it comes online? 911 took out a loan or bond with the known guarantee payment and began building..
    August 08, 2016, 07:46:34 AM
  • Valor7: Actually no it is not, a dependable Revenue stream will not come on line until the 4th quarter of 2017 so 2018 budget will be up in the air, not quite sure what they will have. By 2019 budget all will be well.
    August 04, 2016, 09:27:17 PM
  • Valor7: You mean that tax that the Commissioners would not put on the ballot for so many years? Strange things happened when the citizens got a chance to vote on that issue.
    August 03, 2016, 06:43:06 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Back up is now available withe the new tax..
    August 03, 2016, 05:01:35 PM
  • Valor7: Thanks a lot Ladies!!
    July 29, 2016, 01:16:13 PM
  • littlebit: ((*(*&
    July 27, 2016, 03:47:52 PM
  • ~kathy~: lol
    July 15, 2016, 09:34:56 AM
  • Valor7: A guy could get killed around here while waiting for backup!
    July 13, 2016, 07:31:58 PM
  • Lepard LLC: You are not alone..
    July 13, 2016, 07:28:53 PM
  • Valor7: I just hate it when I talk to myself!!!!
    July 08, 2016, 12:54:09 PM
  • Valor7: I could have worded that better, we talked details, options, the pros and cons of each, in  order to arrive at the best ballot language to present to the voters. Hope that makes this clearer.
    April 15, 2016, 06:36:14 PM
  • Valor7: sorry about the typos still working with just one arm in action
    April 13, 2016, 01:10:42 PM
  • Valor7: Yes and no. We talked details and options until we were blue in the face but I never heardbring it over, it was always the time was not right for the issue to pass. Glad to see the time in now right and I for one shall vote yes on the ballot. I would urge all others to do the sameour county is busting at the seams crimewise and no matter how many bad guys we send off there always seems to someone to replace them. The Sheriff's Office needs the help.
    April 13, 2016, 01:08:35 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Is that true Valor? Did he ask you what you wanted?
    March 01, 2016, 04:55:37 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Gene Newkirk Rick I have waited for a Sheriff to bring it to me on what he wanted. I have pushed Mr long for a while to get it to me. He told me he was close to having or done. Now hopefully the people will get to decide on it. I spoke with Steve about this a few times.
    March 01, 2016, 04:54:54 AM
  • Kimberly: Wow- I have a new name..........
    February 23, 2016, 10:25:15 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Works on mine, improvements are being done here. I may kick back into her a lot and post but working on different technologies right now. Seeing how things interact.
    January 18, 2016, 09:01:20 AM
  • Valor7: Yes it is working. If you need a laugh the wife showed me how to correctly use the silly thing.
    January 04, 2016, 05:32:59 PM
  • Valor7: Think so, mine is trying to work but it is now user and password protected and I dont know mine
    December 17, 2015, 01:32:16 PM
  • "DJ": Is there still a working android app for the PCSD
    December 14, 2015, 08:14:53 PM

Author Topic: MODoT Director - abuse of power? Misuse of funds?  (Read 6663 times)

Offline Just_a_Biker

• View Profile
MODoT Director - abuse of power? Misuse of funds?
« on: June 04, 2009, 07:50:02 PM »

Share/Bookmark

Fort Wood Hotel

Boards

Devils Elbow

Attractions

Sports

St. Robert

Waynesville

PC Daily

Dixon

Menu Guide

Fun Links

Homework

Crocker

Fort Wood

Swedeborg

Big Piney

Laquey

Classifieds

Restaurants

Richland

Fort  Hotels

Dave,
  I know there is a lot of contraversy regarding the MO Helmet modification proposal on the governors desk right now, that's to be expected.  However, every time I turn on the radio, pick up a paper, or read an online article I see or hear something from MODoT Director Pete Rahn spewing out skewed statistics and urging Missourian's to contact the governor and veto the helmet legislation passed by both the Senate and House.  I understand that Mr. Rahn is using TAX PAYERS MONEY to run these ads, hold press conferences and conduct questionable surveys of the Missouri people. 

My first question is "Is this legal?"
My second question is "Why is the Director of MODoT conducting surveys and polls to ascertain what the people of Missouri want?  Isn't tha what the House and Senate are for?"

How much money has Director Rahn spent on his propoganda campaigne?  How many Missouiri lives could have been saved by utilizing that money to improve roads, or improve drivers education? 

Thanks,
Tim
The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. Cicero - 55 BC, Rome

Offline David Day

• View Profile
Re: MODoT Director - abuse of power? Misuse of funds?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2009, 08:42:23 PM »
I could write about 3 pages on my outrage on this, but I won't...I will be short.

My opposition of Director Rahn using tax dollars to lobby has a fairly long history, starting with his fly-around the state a few years ago to push for a primary seatbelt law.  Earlier this year he had state employees come to the capitol while being paid to do so to push for the primary seatbelt law and oppose the helmet law.  Now, as you can see, he is doing polling, holding press conferences, running around the state to oppose the helmet law change....ALL AT TAXPAYER EXPENSE!

Now, I fully understand if someone wants a primary seatbelt law or doesn't want helmet laws changed, and I respect that as I am sure you do.  However, it is the job of the legislature to pass or kill laws, then it is the job of the Governor to sign or veto those laws.  It is the job of Department Directors to make sure their departments carry out those laws.  During the process many departments act as information aids and it is common for their thoughts to be known by legislators, but that is where it ends.  NEVER have I seen anything like this.  It is also interesting to note that Director Rahn's department has nothing to do with the enforcement of the helmet law or seatbelt laws, that is up to the Department of Public Safety, and they did not testify against changing the helmet law...interesting.

Now, can he do this....yep I guess so.  Many years ago citizens decided they didn't want politicans involved as much in road issues in MO, so the MODOT Commission was set up and they are in charge of hiring/firing the Director.  The Gov. picks commissioners, the Senate approves them but once they are seated they answer to nobody.  The Governor can't fire the Directors of MODOT, Conservation, or Veterans...that has to be done by the Commissions.

So yes, unless his Commission wakes up and says stop, I guess he can.  I don't think many people paying highway taxes at the pump have this in mind when they pay them, I think they are more interested in roads and bridges being improved with their tax dollars, not paying state employees to visit legislators and telephone polling being done.

I don't know what Darrell will do with it but he asked me for quotes on the issue and Gary at the radio station ran some comments I made about it also.

I do know this Director who is telling everyone the legislature is "silly" for what we did on this law is also the one that will be asking us to put a tax increase on the ballot so they can have more money in a few years or asking for some other form of increased revenue, that will be interesting. 

My opposition to his actions, as well as that of many other legislators is well known, but he doesn't care.  I think he needs to find his focus again and start worrying about roads and bridges again and leave public safety laws up the the law enforcement.

Sorry so long, very frustrated with his actions right now.

Dave
Political Website:  www.StateRepDay.com
Back Roads Recording:  www.backroadsrecording.com
Band Website:  www.MFNband.net
Twitter:  http://twitter.com/RepDay

Offline Just_a_Biker

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2009, 09:14:32 PM »
THANK YOU!  Now, what can we do about it?  Is this something we should write / call the governor about?  I know the military has a Fraud / Waste & Abuse hotline to report this type of thing.  What about contacting the Missouri Attorney General and asking for an investigation or ruling?

I'm frustrated, as you are, and I'm just looking for a little guidance on how to tackle this.  I for one do not appreciate MY tax dollars being spent to further someone's political agenda, especialy when those funds could be spent to improve our roadways or drivers education in MO...

Thanks again Dave
The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. Cicero - 55 BC, Rome

Offline David Day

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2009, 09:18:43 PM »
I would suggest contacting the Governor, although I don't know that there is fraud, in my opinion there is no doubt that tax payers don't have this in mind when they pay taxes for highways/bridges.  I do know he is burning bridges (sorry, had to) with legislators with each day he is out there.

You can find contact information for the governor at www.staterepday.com, then clicking on District Directory, then State Elected Officials.

Dave

Offline David Day

• View Profile

Offline matrsnot

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2009, 01:46:06 AM »
Seems to me to be conversion to personal use and could be a criminal matter since he is wasting tax dollars for his personal interests?

Offline David Day

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2009, 01:53:28 AM »
He can argue that he is using tax dollars for safety on highways, and that it is a policy issue for the state.  He is legal in this, especially if his bosses (commissioners) have approved it or even know of it and have not told him to stop.  BUT, just because something is not illegal does not mean it is not wrong.

I think he is going to have a rough road ahead of him in the legislature after this little game.

Dave

Offline Vado Del Rio

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2009, 02:10:11 AM »
I must say that our roads have improved dramatically over the past five years or so.  Prior to that, the democrat controlled legislature was robbing from MODOT funds leaving us with some of the worst roads in the nation.  The ballot proposal mandating that highway funds only be used for highways was also helpful.  I believe the Director Rahn was brought in from another state to unscrew some serious problems during that period.  I suppose he's doing a pretty good job with the highway infrastructure minus keeping his nose out of legislative policy.  I do wonder if MODOT was threatened with the loss of federal money by the elitists in Washington should a the helmet law be repealed...........  It wouldn't surprise me one bit !!!

Offline David Day

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2009, 02:18:17 AM »
If that were the case he would be saying it.  Also, if that were the case, it would then be the responsibility of the legislature to make that money up since we are the ones that passed the law.  There was almost no fiscal impact on the state from this law so I don't believe there are any federal funds tied to it.

Yes, the roads are better and improving.  Like him or not, Governor Blunt made that a priority and the legislature held his feet to the fire by requiring an annual report that of course was public...so he had to produce and he did on that front.
Dave

Offline Vado Del Rio

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2009, 02:33:54 AM »
Thanks for bringing that to my attention Dave.

Offline David Day

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2009, 02:59:26 AM »
It was a legit thought, feds tie money to almost everything.

Dave

Offline Geezer Glide Taz

• Land Of The Free, Because Of The Brave
  • Riding Vertical Shiny Side Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2009, 02:26:15 PM »
I wrote a email to the Governor voicing my concern that a Government Employee was utilizing tax payer money to voice his personel agenda. I basically said lawmakers make law, not MDOT directors. If he has a personal view, then he should be utilizing his own money, not tax payer money.
If he is against abortion or gay marriage, does that give him the right to utilize our tax money to make speeches all over the media for that too?
Freedom Of Road Riders,
Protecting and informing riders in Missouri
www.midamericafreedomrally.com

Please watch out for Motorcycles on the road
The life you save might be mine

Offline Seeg

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2009, 03:36:42 PM »
What a crock.....  This man needs to lose his job as this is a TOTAL abuse of power, imo.
"I love my country... it's just the government I fear!"

Offline Vado Del Rio

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2009, 03:40:06 PM »
I have a close family member who was in a position similar to the MODOT Director years ago.  I do recall him telling me that it was "inappropriate" for him to pubically lobby for anything as that was the role of "elected officials" as he called it.  He'd express views to his oversight boards and various law makers in private but that was the extent of his involvement.