Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • littlebit: Makes sense.
    July 16, 2017, 04:40:28 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Boards will stay open for a place people can find history information longer. I am not allowing anyone to sign up for now because of so many foreginers just wanting to promote their business..
    December 10, 2016, 05:10:27 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Not sure why didn't look, I may be shutting down these message boards..
    November 17, 2016, 12:42:43 AM
  • ~kathy~: rick why is the timestamp showing up a day in advance?
    September 13, 2016, 12:27:46 AM
  • Valor7: What I tried to say is that the actual money would not be there that quick. But a loan against that would work if they are willing to do that.
    August 08, 2016, 01:51:51 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Why so long before it comes online? 911 took out a loan or bond with the known guarantee payment and began building..
    August 08, 2016, 07:46:34 AM
  • Valor7: Actually no it is not, a dependable Revenue stream will not come on line until the 4th quarter of 2017 so 2018 budget will be up in the air, not quite sure what they will have. By 2019 budget all will be well.
    August 04, 2016, 09:27:17 PM
  • Valor7: You mean that tax that the Commissioners would not put on the ballot for so many years? Strange things happened when the citizens got a chance to vote on that issue.
    August 03, 2016, 06:43:06 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Back up is now available withe the new tax..
    August 03, 2016, 05:01:35 PM
  • Valor7: Thanks a lot Ladies!!
    July 29, 2016, 01:16:13 PM
  • littlebit: ((*(*&
    July 27, 2016, 03:47:52 PM
  • ~kathy~: lol
    July 15, 2016, 09:34:56 AM
  • Valor7: A guy could get killed around here while waiting for backup!
    July 13, 2016, 07:31:58 PM
  • Lepard LLC: You are not alone..
    July 13, 2016, 07:28:53 PM
  • Valor7: I just hate it when I talk to myself!!!!
    July 08, 2016, 12:54:09 PM
  • Valor7: I could have worded that better, we talked details, options, the pros and cons of each, in  order to arrive at the best ballot language to present to the voters. Hope that makes this clearer.
    April 15, 2016, 06:36:14 PM
  • Valor7: sorry about the typos still working with just one arm in action
    April 13, 2016, 01:10:42 PM
  • Valor7: Yes and no. We talked details and options until we were blue in the face but I never heardbring it over, it was always the time was not right for the issue to pass. Glad to see the time in now right and I for one shall vote yes on the ballot. I would urge all others to do the sameour county is busting at the seams crimewise and no matter how many bad guys we send off there always seems to someone to replace them. The Sheriff's Office needs the help.
    April 13, 2016, 01:08:35 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Is that true Valor? Did he ask you what you wanted?
    March 01, 2016, 04:55:37 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Gene Newkirk Rick I have waited for a Sheriff to bring it to me on what he wanted. I have pushed Mr long for a while to get it to me. He told me he was close to having or done. Now hopefully the people will get to decide on it. I spoke with Steve about this a few times.
    March 01, 2016, 04:54:54 AM
  • Kimberly: Wow- I have a new name..........
    February 23, 2016, 10:25:15 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Works on mine, improvements are being done here. I may kick back into her a lot and post but working on different technologies right now. Seeing how things interact.
    January 18, 2016, 09:01:20 AM
  • Valor7: Yes it is working. If you need a laugh the wife showed me how to correctly use the silly thing.
    January 04, 2016, 05:32:59 PM
  • Valor7: Think so, mine is trying to work but it is now user and password protected and I dont know mine
    December 17, 2015, 01:32:16 PM
  • "DJ": Is there still a working android app for the PCSD
    December 14, 2015, 08:14:53 PM

Author Topic: Skepticism  (Read 3429 times)

Offline mark

• http://www.gayalpinesurvival.com/
  • Proud Father
    • View Profile
Skepticism
« on: July 16, 2009, 12:54:26 PM »

Share/Bookmark

Fort Wood Hotel

Boards

Devils Elbow

Attractions

Sports

St. Robert

Waynesville

PC Daily

Dixon

Menu Guide

Fun Links

Homework

Crocker

Fort Wood

Swedeborg

Big Piney

Laquey

Classifieds

Restaurants

Richland

Fort  Hotels

Self-refuting Skepticism                                                           by Roger Patterson, AiG–U.S.                          July 14, 2009                                  Layman                                          Keywords                                                                                                            Many people in modern society label themselves as skeptics. They publish magazines, participate in various organizations, raise funds to support their causes, and lobby the public through roadside signs, podcasts, and advertisements on buses.
Though there are several organizations to which we could refer, we will focus our attention on the Skeptics Society headed by Dr. Michael Shermer for sake of discussing the relevant points of agreement and disagreement. By explaining the positions given by this organization, you can easily apply them to others who share the same basic views. As Christians, we should have a biblically founded skepticism of the claims made by “skeptics” (Proverbs 18:17).
Skepticism is a humanistic philosophy. Humanists consider man to be the measure of all things. That is, the human mind is considered to be the ultimate standard by which all claims are judged. Humanism is a religious system, the deity of the worldview being man himself. Though the humanists would generally reject the label of religious, they certainly hold their views with zeal and conviction.
Another important element of the humanist religion is naturalism (or, materialism). This belief blindly asserts that nothing beyond nature exists; the physical universe is all that there is. Anything that is supernatural is excluded from this belief system. We will explain these two ideas as we look at the beliefs of skeptical humanists and their manifesto.
The following excerpts are taken from A Skeptical Manifesto, written by Dr. Michael Shermer, which will serve to illustrate the beliefs of those who claim to be skeptics.
To his credit, Dr. Shermer is openly honest about the failure of skepticism as a philosophy.      But what does it mean to be skeptical? Skepticism has a long historical tradition dating back to ancient Greece when Socrates observed: “All I know is that I know nothing.” But this is not a practical position to take.      Shermer rightly concludes that if a skeptic were to apply his philosophy to his own views, he would have to be skeptical of skepticism—a position of absurdity. The very foundation of this belief system is self-refuting.
To avoid the absurdity of his argument, Shermer goes on to qualify his beliefs. He adds the qualifiers of rational and scientific to his belief system. He does this in order to justify his claim that he wishes to promote progress, even though skepticism itself does not hold that goal. Exactly what he means by progress is not explained, but it seems to tie into a later discussion of the evolution of mankind to higher levels. However, he provides no scientific or rational validation for what higher means and why his views should be accepted above other views of progress.      Scientific Skepticism      Let us first look at the claim that skepticism must be scientific in order to be of value. Though not explicitly stated, the concept of materialism is present in the definition of science given by the Skeptics Society:      a set of mental and behavioral methods designed to describe and interpret observed or inferred phenomenon, past or present, aimed at building a testable body of knowledge open to rejection or confirmation.1      It is worth noting that this definition is simply given to persuade the reader to accept a particular view. It is not what would be found in textbooks and dictionaries. Redefining terms is simply a tactic of persuasion, not a logical argument.
Since his definition of science deals with observation, Shermer defines observation as “gathering data through the senses or sensory enhancing technologies.” Although supernatural forces would not normally be experienced by the senses, the Christian rightly takes God to be the ultimate first cause of the things we do experience. This forces us to ask the question, “Why must supernatural explanations be removed from science?”
Dr. Shermer does not provide a reason for the assertion that science can only be based on observations by the senses. If this claim is left as an arbitrary assertion, then there is no logical reason to accept it. Christians should be skeptical of this skeptic’s definition of science.
Another problem that this definition presents for the skeptics is that it is inconsistent. On the one hand, Shermer wants to include past events as falling under his definition of science. On the other hand, he wants to have observational confirmation or rejection of everything that is to be considered scientific knowledge. But, of course, past events are not subject to observational rejection or confirmation. Shermer tries to cover up this inconsistency by suggesting that inferences are as legitimate as observations, but provides no support for this view.
Shermer goes on to explain that most biologists would accept evolution as a “fact” in that it is based on “data or conclusions confirmed to such an extent it would be reasonable to offer temporary agreement.” Since skeptical science can never ultimately prove anything, the temporary agreement of the community is that evolution happened and will continue to happen. This “fact” must be based on the inferences of past events from observations of things in the present, not observing and testing things form the past. Shermer argues from this “fact” at several points in this article.
Since facts, by definition, are true, this philosophy allows for the provisional acceptance of untrue facts. Many things that were once considered factual are known to be false today. In the absence of an absolute standard to determine truth, skeptics build their foundation on what they must admit could be false in the future—evolution included.
This naturalistic science is intended to be objective and avoid any mysticism. Creationism is said to “have been tested (and failed the tests) often enough that we can provisionally conclude [it is] false.” If these tests were done according to the scientific method, it would interest us to know how the supernatural creation of the universe was observed through the senses (what measurements were involved) and shown to be false. The very claim is outside of the capabilities of the model of skeptical science set forward.      Rational Skepticism      To prop up his self-refuting philosophy of skepticism, Dr. Shermer believes that there must be a rational component added so that the skeptic might think in a reliable way. He defines the rational skeptic as:      One who questions the validity of particular claims of knowledge by employing or calling for statements of fact to prove or disprove claims, as a tool for understanding causality.      Since Dr. Shermer seems to be committed to a philosophy of naturalism, how does he account for the existence of reason? Reason involves using laws of logic—which are not part of nature. Laws of logic describe the correct chain of reasoning from premises to conclusions; they are not material and cannot exist in a materialistic universe. The naturalist cannot account for universal, invariant, abstract entities like laws of logic.
What the skeptic is doing is borrowing concepts from a biblical view of the universe while rejecting the system itself—an irrational approach. There is no explanation for the existence of reason and the laws of logic in a naturalistic worldview. If man is simply the accumulation of chemical reactions, why should we trust those reactions to understand the world around it? Chemical reactions and electrical impulses by themselves are neither right nor wrong; they simply are.
Science is only possible because God has ordered the universe and sustains it in such a way that the human mind can understand it. The Christian has an ultimate reason for believing that we can study and understand the universe. The naturalistic skeptic does not. (For a detailed explanation of this concept please see Revelation, Speculation, and Science by Dr. Greg Bahnsen.)
Dr. Shermer makes the claim that it would be unscientific to accept a dogmatic claim that is not based on scientific inquiry. But he expects us to accept his dogmatic assertion without proving it by any scientific means (which would be impossible). Again, an assertion is made with no rational reason to accept it.
Accepting ideas on the authority of another human can be dangerous; so, it is important to understand how the person making the claim came to know what is being claimed. We certainly don’t disagree with Dr. Shermer on not accepting dogmatic claims, but it is ironic that he expects us to believe his claim without scientific proof. Christians should be skeptical of such claims.
There is, however, One whom we can trust absolutely. When He tells us of the world, we can accept those things, as He was not only an eyewitness, but the Creator of the universe. Having created the universe, we can trust that what God tells us about it through His Word can be taken as truth. Since there can be no higher authority than the Creator, we must accept His claims of truth over the claims made by fallible humans. God has granted us the gift of reason, humans having been created in His image, but we must recognize the limits of that reasoning and the condition of the fallen world in which we live.
Other skeptics have suggested that we cannot trust the Bible because it was written by men: of course, this statement itself was written by men. So, if that statement is trustworthy, that we cannot trust a statement written by men, then we cannot trust the statement itself about not trusting the Bible—a contradiction.
It is also worth noting that an argument really should be evaluated on its own merit, not on the source. To do otherwise is to commit the genetic fallacy. The Bible claims to be the Word of God, is internally consistent, and provides the only rational foundation for the world around us. On these grounds, not the empty claims of a skeptical humans, we can accept the truth that God has revealed to us.      Conclusion      Mankind has elevated himself throughout history. From the Fall in the Garden, mankind has sought to be equal, if not superior, to God. Like any other philosophy that begins without God as the standard of truth, this humanistic philosophy is arbitrary and logically inconsistent. Applying a little biblically-based skepticism to the claims of these skeptics exposes the flaws.
As we look to God’s Word as the foundation for all thinking, we might also be moved to pray for those who suppress the truth of God in unrighteousness (Romans 1:18–19). Had God not revealed His truth to us, we would still be in that darkened condition (Ephesians 2:1–5). As we seek to share the truth with a lost world, let us remember to do so in meekness and fear and with thankfulness to God for the salvation He has granted us through Jesus Christ (1 Peter 3:15–16).
We are not human beings having a spiritual experience.
We are spiritual beings having a human experience.
~Teilhard de Chardin

Offline Coyote

• View Profile
Re: Skepticism
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2009, 01:27:09 PM »
Mark, I know this from somewhere...maybe from the Bible, I'm not sure, but it's something to ponder..."Put your faith in God and lean not on your understanding."
....and that night as the moon crossed the mountain, one more Coyote was heard...

Offline mark

• Proud Father
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2009, 01:36:35 PM »
 I like it Coyote!
~Teilhard de Chardin

Offline julymorning

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2009, 11:22:33 AM »
Mark, I know this from somewhere...maybe from the Bible, I'm not sure, but it's something to ponder..."Put your faith in God and lean not on your understanding."

Proverbs 3:5. 
The concordance comes in handy.

KJV says trust, NWT says love but both agree to not lean on your own understanding.
Hey, it's just me, Suzi

Offline mark

• Proud Father
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2009, 12:03:05 PM »
5 Trust in the Lord with all your heart,

And lean not on your own understanding;

In all your ways acknowledge Him,

And He shall direct your paths.

~Teilhard de Chardin

Offline Digital Narcosis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2009, 02:08:46 PM »
Yes...

Blindly follow your church elders... don't stop to learn ANYTHING on your own...

NEVER learn with your own understanding...

Free thought is bad.

Be like us and fill up the collection plate.  Give God his fair share.

Proverbs 3:5. 
The concordance comes in handy.

KJV says trust, NWT says love but both agree to not lean on your own understanding.

Offline julymorning

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2009, 11:24:21 PM »
Yes...

Blindly follow your church elders... don't stop to learn ANYTHING on your own...

NEVER learn with your own understanding...

Free thought is bad.

Be like us and fill up the collection plate.  Give God his fair share.

Guess what DN, you have this wrong.  The Bible admonishes it's reader to NOT follow any man, but to make sure of all things through the Bible AND
"No, it was not by following artfully contrived false stories that we acquainted you with the power and presence of our Lord Jesus Christ, but it was by having become eyewitnesses of his magnificence.  For he received from God the Father honor and glory, when words such as these were borne to him by the magnificent glory: "This is my son, my beloved, whom I myself have approved.  Yes, these words we heard borne from heaven while we were with him in the holy mountain.
Consequently we have the prophetic word made more sure,and you are doing well in paying attention to it as to a lamp shining in a dark place, until day dawns and a daystar rises, in your hearts.  For you know this first, that no prophecy of Scripture springs from any private interpretation.  For prophecy was at no time brought by man's will, but men spoke from God as they were borne along by holy spirit."   2 Peter 16-21."

And, no collection plate or tithing is used at Kingdom Hall's. No one should ever feel obligated or pressured into donating money they can ill afford. Help in any form must come from the heart, and the amount- large or small is between the giver and God.
Hey, it's just me, Suzi

Offline Digital Narcosis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2009, 12:35:05 AM »
I don't care about any of that...

I was refering to this line: "And lean not on your own understanding;"

That pretty much means "be scared of the Bible. Don't think for yourself.  Only do what IT says."

So... how much doing what it says are you doing?

Offline mark

• Proud Father
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2009, 12:43:16 AM »
  To me that line means mortal humans are idiots compared to Gods wisdom!
~Teilhard de Chardin

Offline Digital Narcosis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2009, 12:44:54 AM »
Thats pretty much how I took it also.

My question is and always has been... Why?

To me that line means mortal humans are idiots compared to Gods wisdom!

Offline julymorning

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2009, 12:53:50 AM »
I don't care about any of that...

I was refering to this line: "And lean not on your own understanding;"

That pretty much means "be scared of the Bible. Don't think for yourself.  Only do what IT says."

So... how much doing what it says are you doing?

Well, do whatever you want DN, I was just posting the more positive way of looking at it.  As far as me doing what it says, it's common knowledge I rebelled in a certain area. 

But that doesn't change anything.  I'm not claiming sainthood, lol.
Hey, it's just me, Suzi

Offline mark

• Proud Father
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2009, 12:59:28 AM »
Thats pretty much how I took it also.

My question is and always has been... Why?

You have to get to heaven to find out. He can't give us all the answers, there would be no incentive to get there.
~Teilhard de Chardin

Offline Digital Narcosis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2009, 01:06:58 AM »
Well, according to some on this site you cannot get to heaven... who was it?  Was it fish and Darrell?  I don't remember...  I guess I could look... but... nah.  You know what and where I am talking about I'm sure.

You have to get to heaven to find out. He can't give us all the answers, there would be no incentive to get there.

Offline Coyote

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2009, 01:18:53 PM »
..."lean not on your own understanding."  There are things that we just don't understand.  Some questions that there are not always answers to.  So...it's ok to try to figure stuff out on our own, but we can also just leave it up to faith.  Christians go to school, we even get degrees!  I don't think most Christians follow their elders blindly...the Branch Davidians and the Peoples Temple and stuff like that are exceptions that frankly, I don't understand.  A person can actually be a Christian and a Scholar at the same time, DN.  There is nothing wrong with wanting to be charitable to help others worldwide.  If you don't want to, that's up to you.  We don't stand at the intersection with buckets begging for change, we do this in our place of worship.
....and that night as the moon crossed the mountain, one more Coyote was heard...

Offline fish

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2009, 03:32:45 AM »
heaven is just a part of God's kingdom

Offline Digital Narcosis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2009, 11:37:27 AM »
Which "God?"

heaven is just a part of God's kingdom

Offline Coyote

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2009, 01:24:52 PM »
We believe in one God,
The Father, the Almighty,
Maker of heaven and earth,
Of all that is, seen and unseen.

Which "God?"

Offline Digital Narcosis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2009, 08:03:41 PM »
Which denomination would that fall under?

This really makes a difference when it comes to getting into heaven and living a righteous life.

We believe in one God,
The Father, the Almighty,
Maker of heaven and earth,
Of all that is, seen and unseen.

Offline darrellmaurina

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2009, 07:18:09 PM »
Which denomination would that fall under? This really makes a difference when it comes to getting into heaven and living a righteous life.

This isn't a matter of denominational affiliation. Coyote is quoting an English translation of the first part of the Nicene Creed. That is a doctrinal statement on which virtually all Protestant, Roman Catholic and Eastern Orthodox Christians agree, excepting only the one-word difference in the Nicene Creed farther down, not the part Coyote is quoting, that divides Eastern Orthodoxy from the rest of Protestant and Roman Catholic Christianity.

The "filioque clause" in the Nicene Creed (addressing a very technical point of the relationship betwen Christ and the Holy Spirit) has been a legitimate area of different opinions within Christianity. Other than that, a person who has a problem with the Nicene Creed has a problem with the Bible and with virtually all of Christian history.
Darrell Todd Maurina
Check out the Pulaski County Daily News online newspaper at
http://www.pulaskicountyweb.com
Cell: (573) 433.6733 * FAX: (573) 774-2349
Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/darrellmaurina/
Follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/darrellmaurina/