Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • littlebit: Makes sense.
    July 16, 2017, 04:40:28 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Boards will stay open for a place people can find history information longer. I am not allowing anyone to sign up for now because of so many foreginers just wanting to promote their business..
    December 10, 2016, 05:10:27 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Not sure why didn't look, I may be shutting down these message boards..
    November 17, 2016, 12:42:43 AM
  • ~kathy~: rick why is the timestamp showing up a day in advance?
    September 13, 2016, 12:27:46 AM
  • Valor7: What I tried to say is that the actual money would not be there that quick. But a loan against that would work if they are willing to do that.
    August 08, 2016, 01:51:51 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Why so long before it comes online? 911 took out a loan or bond with the known guarantee payment and began building..
    August 08, 2016, 07:46:34 AM
  • Valor7: Actually no it is not, a dependable Revenue stream will not come on line until the 4th quarter of 2017 so 2018 budget will be up in the air, not quite sure what they will have. By 2019 budget all will be well.
    August 04, 2016, 09:27:17 PM
  • Valor7: You mean that tax that the Commissioners would not put on the ballot for so many years? Strange things happened when the citizens got a chance to vote on that issue.
    August 03, 2016, 06:43:06 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Back up is now available withe the new tax..
    August 03, 2016, 05:01:35 PM
  • Valor7: Thanks a lot Ladies!!
    July 29, 2016, 01:16:13 PM
  • littlebit: ((*(*&
    July 27, 2016, 03:47:52 PM
  • ~kathy~: lol
    July 15, 2016, 09:34:56 AM
  • Valor7: A guy could get killed around here while waiting for backup!
    July 13, 2016, 07:31:58 PM
  • Lepard LLC: You are not alone..
    July 13, 2016, 07:28:53 PM
  • Valor7: I just hate it when I talk to myself!!!!
    July 08, 2016, 12:54:09 PM
  • Valor7: I could have worded that better, we talked details, options, the pros and cons of each, in  order to arrive at the best ballot language to present to the voters. Hope that makes this clearer.
    April 15, 2016, 06:36:14 PM
  • Valor7: sorry about the typos still working with just one arm in action
    April 13, 2016, 01:10:42 PM
  • Valor7: Yes and no. We talked details and options until we were blue in the face but I never heardbring it over, it was always the time was not right for the issue to pass. Glad to see the time in now right and I for one shall vote yes on the ballot. I would urge all others to do the sameour county is busting at the seams crimewise and no matter how many bad guys we send off there always seems to someone to replace them. The Sheriff's Office needs the help.
    April 13, 2016, 01:08:35 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Is that true Valor? Did he ask you what you wanted?
    March 01, 2016, 04:55:37 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Gene Newkirk Rick I have waited for a Sheriff to bring it to me on what he wanted. I have pushed Mr long for a while to get it to me. He told me he was close to having or done. Now hopefully the people will get to decide on it. I spoke with Steve about this a few times.
    March 01, 2016, 04:54:54 AM
  • Kimberly: Wow- I have a new name..........
    February 23, 2016, 10:25:15 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Works on mine, improvements are being done here. I may kick back into her a lot and post but working on different technologies right now. Seeing how things interact.
    January 18, 2016, 09:01:20 AM
  • Valor7: Yes it is working. If you need a laugh the wife showed me how to correctly use the silly thing.
    January 04, 2016, 05:32:59 PM
  • Valor7: Think so, mine is trying to work but it is now user and password protected and I dont know mine
    December 17, 2015, 01:32:16 PM
  • "DJ": Is there still a working android app for the PCSD
    December 14, 2015, 08:14:53 PM

Author Topic: Rolla Walmart fire  (Read 10256 times)

Offline carpenter

• View Profile
Rolla Walmart fire
« on: July 17, 2009, 10:01:49 PM »

Share/Bookmark

yeah whatever~*

Offline CrazedChris

• View Profile
Re: Rolla Walmart fire
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2009, 12:11:02 AM »
 :popcorn1:

Offline tpgunbiz

• B.M.F.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2009, 07:52:32 AM »
I thought the promise was " News as it happens , not days later". Does that mean within a few hours or 24 or less?
Biscuit

Offline blissfullybusy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2009, 02:39:07 PM »
I thought the promise was " News as it happens , not days later". Does that mean within a few hours or 24 or less?

It's not like Rolla is local news though.
Women are Angels

And when someone breaks our wings....

We simply continue to fly.........on a broomstick...

Because we are flexible like that

Offline carpenter

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2009, 04:32:12 PM »
Not everyone shops in or lives directly in the Waynesville/St. Robert area.  There are alot of folks that trade in the Rolla area to make this a newsworthy story.  This is especially true given that I would much rather use the Rolla or Lebanon Walmart over the St. Robert one ANYDAY of the week.  :wink1a:  
yeah whatever~*

Offline demo.dave

• Im a veteran of the unspeakable.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2009, 04:51:02 PM »
Its not hard guys. Just do a little searching. Took me thirty seconds to find this.

Rolla, Mo. -
A fire closed the Rolla Walmart on Friday for nearly three hours, and the blaze, which at its peak reached four-feet high, appears to have started on the roof and has been determined to be accidental.

No one was injured during the evacuation or the fighting of the blaze, which was responded to with two 75-foot ladder trucks and seven firefighters in about four minutes.

At the time of the fire, about 150 Walmart employees were in the building, according to a co-manager, who would only identify herself as Renata. She said there was no estimate of how many shoppers were in the store at the time.

Rolla Fire & Rescue received a call at 12:10 p.m. that the store located at 500 South Bishop Ave. was on fire. Preliminary police and fire scanner reports indicated the blaze was concentrated on the roof of the building, where a Mountain Home, Ark., company had been replacing a section of the roof.

“The state fire marshal has ruled it an apparent accidental fire,” said Rolla Fire Chief Robert Williams. “They have ruled out any sort of chemical reaction.”

Williams said the fire was burning inside the roof, melting the rubber roofing and styrofoam insulation under the rubberized top layer.

“The fire is moving between the roof membrane and the ceiling, flaring up in different areas, although it’s pretty much staying in the area where it began,” Williams said at the time. “There’s always a danger of the roof collapsing when firefighters are on top fighting the fire.”

The fire was discovered by a customer who saw the flames.
When asked why the fire alarm didn’t go off, Williams said the fire remained above the sprinkler and alarm system.

“You wouldn’t have gotten anything until the fire came down and activated the smoke alarms and detectors,” he said.

Inspection of the roof revealed at least three generators used by the roofers, but none were located near the source of the fire.
Williams was asked whether workers of Cornerstone Building Services, Inc., were using hot tar in the roofing process and were told they were not.

“It’s my understanding they were using long screws (to attach roofing material),” Williams said.

Williams was asked whether a cigarette or another incendiary device could have caused the fire.

“The company tells us they have a policy workers who smoke are supposed to go to the ground to do that,” Williams said.
The roofing crew, which had taken a lunch break when the fire broke out, was neither at the scene afterward nor did its workers immediately return.

Calls to the company’s office at 636 Cannie Baker Road, Suite 102, in Mountain Home, Ark., were not answered.

The store remained closed for nearly three hours as firefighters extinguished, doused flare-ups and then store employees worked to reopen the store, which was accomplished about 4 p.m.

Firefighters and Rolla Municipal Utilities employees worked in tandem to minimize the effects of the fire.

“We went in and immediately cut power to most of the building,” said Rolla Fire & Rescue Training Officer Ron Smith. “With our firefighters in there standing in water, we wanted to make sure there was no (electrocution) danger,” Smith said. “The power being off, at least initially, was our doing.”

After the fire was extinguished, electricity was restored to all but about the rear-center half of the building.

“If you are in the restroom area in the back-center of the store, the fire was directly above,” said Rolla Fire Capt. Allan Michaels.

Firefighters and Walmart officials were concerned about restoring electricity as soon as possible to as much of the store as possible.

“The concern is about the coolers and the frozen foods area,” Smith said as he conferred with Michaels via radio upon learning the fire had been extinguished.

By 2:15 p.m., electricity was restored to about 50 percent of the store, which included the food areas. By 4 p.m., the store reopened with only the rear restroom area closed to shoppers.

The fire burned about a 12-foot by 12-foot square on the roof.
“Usually, when you have a roof fire like this, it’s one of those things,” said Capt. Michaels, standing on the roof pointing to a roof-top air-conditioner.

That, however, was not the case this time, as the investigation into the exact cause of the fire continues.

Walmart employees congregated outside near the front western entrance of the building, waiting for the “all-clear” before they returned to work.

Immediately after the evacuation, Sales Associate Amanda Drury, who works in the shoe department, said she first saw smoke near the top of the doorway in the rear of the building.

“I got out of there,” Drury said. “I told Melissa to call a Code Red (fire notification). The Fire Department was there quick.”

Daniel Peters, sales associate, said he started to smell smoke after more people started to evacuate.

“We were instructed to collect together out in the front of the store and to make sure everyone was out and safe,” Peters said.

Another employee, Shelly McDowell, Connection Center manager, said she saw smoke above the shoe department.

“It was coming from the ceiling – someone told me they saw flames,” McDowell said.

Further comments from store employees ended abruptly when a handful of Walmart managers walked through the throngs of employees and advised them not to speak to reporters.

Later, the same managers began to count and list the on-duty employees waiting in the parking lot.

Because of the large nature of the structure and the number of occupants, the Fire Department also requested a recall of all firefighters which brought to the scene two additional pumpers, and an air trailer.

Through the recall of city personnel an additional 12 firefighters assisted, bringing the total to about 20 firefighters.

The Rolla Rural Fire Department was placed on standby to cover any additional calls within the city.

Williams stated “the City of Rolla Fire Department has some of the best firefighters in Missouri and appreciated their effort and quick actions.”

Once the fire had been extinguished, the department requested the State Fire Marshal to investigate the cause and origin of the fire. Roger Windle, Regional Fire Marshal, responded and conducted the investigation with the assistance of local firefighters.

Damage was contained to the roof with some water and smoke damage to the interior. Estimated damage to the building was approximately $15,000.

After an inspection by the Phelps County Health Department, City of Rolla Codes Department, and Walmart management the store was able to open at 4 p.m. Friday.

http://www.therolladailynews.com/news/x931238853/Rolla-Walmart-roof-burns

Offline blissfullybusy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2009, 07:07:39 PM »
Not everyone shops in or lives directly in the Waynesville/St. Robert area.  There are alot of folks that trade in the Rolla area to make this a newsworthy story.  This is especially true given that I would much rather use the Rolla or Lebanon Walmart over the St. Robert one ANYDAY of the week.  :wink1a:  

But Darrell is a LOCAL reporter, that means Pulaski county.  Geeze cut the guy some slack he runs his butt of constantly trying to bring all of us who sit at home on our computers as current news as he can.
Women are Angels

Offline carpenter

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2009, 07:08:34 PM »
Thanks for the info.  At the time I posted the original post, the Rolla Daily news had not put up their story on the fire.  It was updated on their website this morning and I did read it prior to putting up my response regarding the newsworthiness of the incident.  I was just trying to get info on it yesterday (the day it actually occured).

Thanks for pasting it though so everyone else could read it!   :)
yeah whatever~*

Offline carpenter

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2009, 07:14:08 PM »
But Darrell is a LOCAL reporter, that means Pulaski county.  Geeze cut the guy some slack he runs his butt of constantly trying to bring all of us who sit at home on our computers as current news as he can.

I'm not picking on him at all.. in fact I called him yesterday and asked him what he had heard at that point.  Back off a bit and get your knickers out of the twist they are in....  My response was about whether or not someone would want to know about it.....  as I stated earlier.  Not everyone's life revolves around a 10-15 mile radius of Waynesville/St. Robert.  There is life beyond that (immediate Pulaski county) and it does impact folks whether you think it does or not. Let someone decide for themselves whether they think it is important or not. 
yeah whatever~*

Offline blissfullybusy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2009, 07:45:35 PM »

It was this  comment that got me upset not really yours.... I just guess people think Darrell is superman. LMBO
Women are Angels

Offline Rainbow

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2009, 08:56:27 PM »
 :popcorn1: :add nothing:

Offline okie the thread killer

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2009, 09:46:37 PM »
If it had been a big fire, then it would have been of interest to us all. TCB, just because it turned out to be a small fire doesn't mean that people here were not following it. While usual Phelps Co. news has no interest for us, something like that would. Same thing if it had been in Lebanon, or at the Lake...It's all local news when it comes to BIG news.
I have it on good authority that the Hokey-Pokey really IS what it's all about.

Offline blissfullybusy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2009, 11:03:13 PM »
Is the name of the news source called PCD and does it stand for rolla daily news or even phelps county news?
 I think not. I believe it stands for Pulaski county news.
 If I wanted to know something that was going on in rolla
 i would check with there news outlets and local blogs like rolla net and not expect a pulaski county newsman to know what was going on in another county.
He has more than enough to handle here.  jmo

Thank you finally someone who thinks alike....
Women are Angels

Offline carpenter

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2009, 11:18:18 PM »
Gimme a freaking break here...      I started a thread just asking if he had heard anything else regarding the darned fire!  The Rolla online daily news didn't have anything and I knew that they wouldn't until today.  I live halfway between Rolla and Waynesville and I shop there alot. 

Now we have folks sitting here mouthing back and forth and splitting hairs.  So what ...what the name is of Darrell's newsite.  For crying outloud.  I read the St. Louis Postdispatch.  Does it cover news that occurs outside of the metro St. Louis area.  Yupper it does.  I also read the Springfield Newsleader and guess what?  It covers us here as well.  If a story is newsworthy it will be covered. 

I don't like it when there is a pack or clique mentality.  If you don't agree with me, fine.  You don't have to agree with me nor do you have to agree with anyone else. Everyone is entitled to their opinions and the freedom to voice them without being bashed over the head as everyone nods their heads in agreement.  I prefer to live outside the box and not let shortsidedness define who I am.

All this just because I asked if he had heard anything else....sheesh louise.....   %%$%$$#
yeah whatever~*

Offline okie the thread killer

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2009, 02:00:26 AM »
much agree Carpenter
I have it on good authority that the Hokey-Pokey really IS what it's all about.

Offline blissfullybusy

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2009, 04:11:28 AM »
Gimme a freaking break here...      I started a thread just asking if he had heard anything else regarding the darned fire!  The Rolla online daily news didn't have anything and I knew that they wouldn't until today.  I live halfway between Rolla and Waynesville and I shop there alot. 

Now we have folks sitting here mouthing back and forth and splitting hairs.  So what ...what the name is of Darrell's newsite.  For crying outloud.  I read the St. Louis Postdispatch.  Does it cover news that occurs outside of the metro St. Louis area.  Yupper it does.  I also read the Springfield Newsleader and guess what?  It covers us here as well.  If a story is newsworthy it will be covered. 

I don't like it when there is a pack or clique mentality.  If you don't agree with me, fine.  You don't have to agree with me nor do you have to agree with anyone else. Everyone is entitled to their opinions and the freedom to voice them without being bashed over the head as everyone nods their heads in agreement.  I prefer to live outside the box and not let shortsidedness define who I am.

All this just because I asked if he had heard anything else....sheesh louise.....   %%$%$$#

Those papers have more than ONE reporter, so you give HIM a break.  If it had been a big deal I'm sure he would have covered it, it wasn't, so get your news from the LOCAL news source in THAT area.
Women are Angels

Offline Eeyore

• "Never leave your partner behind"
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2009, 05:49:37 AM »
Leave it to the out of state boys to find that one------ I may never eat pizza again
    "Hey, hey, hey, hey now.  Don't be mean.  We don't have to be mean. because, remember, no matter where you go, there you are."      - The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai across The Eighth Dimension

Offline blissfullybusy

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2009, 05:52:15 AM »
Here is a Walmart story for you,The Rolla paper liked this story.   Man pleads guilty to urinating on food in Wal-Mart

Jason R. Miller  By None Jason R. Miller                           //                        By Charis Patires GateHouse News Service Tue Sep 09, 2008, 05:53 PM CDT     
An 18-year-old man who was caught relieving himself in the frozen food isle at a Wal-Mart was sentenced to two years' probation after pleading guilty to property damage.
Jason R. Miller, of Lenexa, Kan., was caught urinating on a stack of pizzas and several loafs of bread stored in the frozen food section at the Wal-Mart Supercenter in Camdenton, Mo., in July.
According to court documents, customers shopping nearby were alerted of the incident when their 4-year-old daughter asked them “why the pizza was leaking.”
The father approached Miller, who denied the incident and left the store along with an unidentified male.
While the father followed Miller, a store associate approached a police officer who was in the parking lot clearing another call.
Authorities say they are not sure what prompted the incident.
Wal-Mart destroyed the food and disinfected the area. Approximately $815 in damages was reported.
Miller was originally charged with sexual misconduct. He pleaded guilty to a lesser charge of second-degree property damage.
The judge ordered two years probation in lieu of a suspended execution of sentence of one year in jail. In addition to various conditions of probation, Miller was ordered to complete 80 hours of community service

I saw that too, that is just nasty.  bleck bleck bleck
Women are Angels

Offline darrellmaurina

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2009, 04:42:31 PM »
I just saw the recent posts on this thread, and I'm sorry I didn't respond earlier.

First of all, I'm fairly sure I know Carpenter, so please don't jump on her too much. If she is who I think she is, she's been consistently happy to have me cover what I do, while politely and nicely encouraging me to do more.

On the day of the Rolla fire, I received a phone call from a local resident, and all I could tell that person was what I saw on this website and another site. Unfortunately, I have no way to monitor all but the very largest fires and other incidents in Rolla, Camdenton, Houston or Lebanon, and then only if they call for mutual aid to one of our local fire departments. My police scanner will not receive signals from the adjacent counties since their transmission towers are not designed to send signals this far. I would need to have a local reporter living in those counties to cover fires or major crashes over there, and that reporter would have to live in close proximity to the transmission towers in Rolla, Lebanon, etc.

This is one area where the Waynesville Daily Guide has a substantial advantage, and I want to give them credit for it. The same company owns the Rolla, Camdenton and St. James papers and they can share news.

I have some medium-term plans in that direction -- no, I am ABSOLUTELY NOT going to say much more about that -- but right now I have enough problems trying to deal with everything from learning HTML coding to getting my cell modem working correctly for out-of-office transmissions to catching up on a huge backlog of work caused in large measure by devastating issues that virtually knocked me out of commission that most people here know nothing about.

In other words, for now I am focused pretty much exclusively on Pulaski County. I have a fairly good idea of the amount of money it would take to give the Rolla and Camdenton papers a serious run for their money and I think if two or three angry or frustrated businesspeople in those counties got together, it would be fairly easy to take them on with an internet news operation. But I flat out do not have the time to do that. It would require hiring a two or three person staff in each county and that is not something I can budget for -- at least not today.
Darrell Todd Maurina
Check out the Pulaski County Daily News online newspaper at
http://www.pulaskicountyweb.com
Cell: (573) 433.6733 * FAX: (573) 774-2349
Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/darrellmaurina/
Follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/darrellmaurina/

Offline tpgunbiz

• B.M.F.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2009, 03:52:55 AM »
I poke at Darrell all the time. He doesnt take me serious......neither does anyone who knows me. My comment wasnt meant to be a source of Darrell bashing. Just a little poke of words for Darrell. I guess next time I will send a P.M to darrell alone so my comments dont get misconstrued by uptight people with no sense of humor...........and I didnt mean that either Blissfull.........Just poken at ya!......yall have a good night. Im in Branson enjoying my honeymoon.  :th_thicon_super: ((*(*&
Biscuit

Offline blissfullybusy

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2009, 04:10:27 AM »
I poke at Darrell all the time. He doesnt take me serious......neither does anyone who knows me. My comment wasnt meant to be a source of Darrell bashing. Just a little poke of words for Darrell. I guess next time I will send a P.M to darrell alone so my comments dont get misconstrued by uptight people with no sense of humor...........and I didnt mean that either Blissfull.........Just poken at ya!......yall have a good night. Im in Branson enjoying my honeymoon.  :th_thicon_super: ((*(*&

It's ok, I've been known to take life too seriously on occasion. :-) It's good to be reminded to have a sense of humor.
Women are Angels

Offline Valor7

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2009, 10:29:03 PM »

My son your timing was horrible. You went to Branson at the same time all 114 Missouri Sheriff's were there to train? I thought you tried to go the other way when we are around.

poke   poke   poke  poke 
                JB

Offline Chas

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2009, 10:37:54 PM »
Couldn't of been that big of a deal I work in a office of over 200 hundred people and this is the first I have heard of.

Offline julymorning

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2009, 11:53:50 PM »
I heard about it from someone in Owensville last weekend.
 I shopped there Monday.  The damage contained to the roof wasn't as bad as rumors would have you believe.
Hey, it's just me, Suzi

Offline tpgunbiz

• B.M.F.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2009, 02:42:37 AM »

My son your timing was horrible. You went to Branson at the same time all 114 Missouri Sheriff's were there to train? I thought you tried to go the other way when we are around.

poke   poke   poke  poke 
                JB
Funny you should mention it......you know with all the bad drivers down here weve only seen one police officer the whole week. Just 1. he must not have gotten invited to your shindig....lol. I have to say anybody who bitches about st. robert at rush hour should come here and try to get through the srtip (which is closely a second in distance with our strip)....and do it in the same time as St. Bob.........Good god this place is bad. and to beat it all they have routes which mirror the strip , and they recomend on the tv channels that you use these. I think I may be the only person here using them because Ive not seen any traffic on these routes. So I can get across town in no time......I just have to wait to get back on the strip......I hope your haviun as much fun as me down here......well you cant unless you brought the wife...lol
Biscuit