Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • littlebit: Makes sense.
    July 16, 2017, 04:40:28 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Boards will stay open for a place people can find history information longer. I am not allowing anyone to sign up for now because of so many foreginers just wanting to promote their business..
    December 10, 2016, 05:10:27 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Not sure why didn't look, I may be shutting down these message boards..
    November 17, 2016, 12:42:43 AM
  • ~kathy~: rick why is the timestamp showing up a day in advance?
    September 13, 2016, 12:27:46 AM
  • Valor7: What I tried to say is that the actual money would not be there that quick. But a loan against that would work if they are willing to do that.
    August 08, 2016, 01:51:51 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Why so long before it comes online? 911 took out a loan or bond with the known guarantee payment and began building..
    August 08, 2016, 07:46:34 AM
  • Valor7: Actually no it is not, a dependable Revenue stream will not come on line until the 4th quarter of 2017 so 2018 budget will be up in the air, not quite sure what they will have. By 2019 budget all will be well.
    August 04, 2016, 09:27:17 PM
  • Valor7: You mean that tax that the Commissioners would not put on the ballot for so many years? Strange things happened when the citizens got a chance to vote on that issue.
    August 03, 2016, 06:43:06 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Back up is now available withe the new tax..
    August 03, 2016, 05:01:35 PM
  • Valor7: Thanks a lot Ladies!!
    July 29, 2016, 01:16:13 PM
  • littlebit: ((*(*&
    July 27, 2016, 03:47:52 PM
  • ~kathy~: lol
    July 15, 2016, 09:34:56 AM
  • Valor7: A guy could get killed around here while waiting for backup!
    July 13, 2016, 07:31:58 PM
  • Lepard LLC: You are not alone..
    July 13, 2016, 07:28:53 PM
  • Valor7: I just hate it when I talk to myself!!!!
    July 08, 2016, 12:54:09 PM
  • Valor7: I could have worded that better, we talked details, options, the pros and cons of each, in  order to arrive at the best ballot language to present to the voters. Hope that makes this clearer.
    April 15, 2016, 06:36:14 PM
  • Valor7: sorry about the typos still working with just one arm in action
    April 13, 2016, 01:10:42 PM
  • Valor7: Yes and no. We talked details and options until we were blue in the face but I never heardbring it over, it was always the time was not right for the issue to pass. Glad to see the time in now right and I for one shall vote yes on the ballot. I would urge all others to do the sameour county is busting at the seams crimewise and no matter how many bad guys we send off there always seems to someone to replace them. The Sheriff's Office needs the help.
    April 13, 2016, 01:08:35 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Is that true Valor? Did he ask you what you wanted?
    March 01, 2016, 04:55:37 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Gene Newkirk Rick I have waited for a Sheriff to bring it to me on what he wanted. I have pushed Mr long for a while to get it to me. He told me he was close to having or done. Now hopefully the people will get to decide on it. I spoke with Steve about this a few times.
    March 01, 2016, 04:54:54 AM
  • Kimberly: Wow- I have a new name..........
    February 23, 2016, 10:25:15 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Works on mine, improvements are being done here. I may kick back into her a lot and post but working on different technologies right now. Seeing how things interact.
    January 18, 2016, 09:01:20 AM
  • Valor7: Yes it is working. If you need a laugh the wife showed me how to correctly use the silly thing.
    January 04, 2016, 05:32:59 PM
  • Valor7: Think so, mine is trying to work but it is now user and password protected and I dont know mine
    December 17, 2015, 01:32:16 PM
  • "DJ": Is there still a working android app for the PCSD
    December 14, 2015, 08:14:53 PM

Author Topic: Paramedicís Corner: The Captain of the Men of Death: 1918 Influenza, Part 1  (Read 4384 times)

Offline darrellmaurina

• View Profile

Share/Bookmark

Fort Wood Hotel

Boards

Devils Elbow

Attractions

Sports

St. Robert

Waynesville

PC Daily

Dixon

Menu Guide

Fun Links

Homework

Crocker

Fort Wood

Swedeborg

Big Piney

Laquey

Classifieds

Restaurants

Richland

Fort  Hotels

Paramedicís Corner: The Captain of the Men of Death: A Story of the 1918 Influenza Pandemic, Part I

Ambulance Director Gary Carmack
Paramedicís Corner: The Captain of the Men of Death: A Story of the 1918 Influenza Pandemic, Part I
President Woodrow Wilson stood before Congress on the evening of April 2, 1917, asking for a declaration of war, which Congress declared on April 6, 1917. That began Americaís entry into World War I, which had already been raging in Europe since 1914. Within a few frantic months, the American army went from about 200,000 men to over four million. Recruits were to receive six months of training in America and two more months overseas. Due to the rush to prepare for war, army cantonments (camps) were greatly over-crowded. The camps were set up before camp hospitals, clean water and sanitary systems were prepared, leading to an outbreak of influenza that killed many soldiers by disease rather than by combat. Click here to read more on Pulaski County Daily News ...

By Ambulance Director Gary Carmack
Darrell Todd Maurina
Check out the Pulaski County Daily News online newspaper at
http://www.pulaskicountyweb.com
Cell: (573) 433.6733 * FAX: (573) 774-2349
Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/darrellmaurina/
Follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/darrellmaurina/

Offline Lepard LLC

• Activist
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
My great GrandMother died in this outbreak.  She got it by getting into bed with an ill child who was shivering to help warm the child. Compassion for human suffering killed her.

Offline darrellmaurina

• View Profile
Paramedicís Corner: The Captain of the Men of Death: A Story of the 1918 Influenza Pandemic, Part II

Paramedicís Corner: The Captain of the Men of Death: A Story of the 1918 Influenza Pandemic, Part II
It was so fast ... the death. A person could be feeling good in the morning and by late that night, be dead. Before death came the chilling horror and unbearable pain. By recorded accounts there was blood everywhere, on linens, clothes, pouring out of peopleís nostrils, ears, and eyes, while others coughed it up. The cough was constant and so violent that abdominal muscles and muscles along the rib cage were torn apart. The skin would turn dark blue, so dark that early on, many people thought it was the return of the bubonic plague (Black Death). From autopsy of the lungs, physicians recorded having only seen lungs in such condition from two other causes: weapons of war, seen following inhalation of poison gas, and a dreadfully virulent form of the bubonic plague called pneumonic plague, which kills approximately 90 percent of its victims. Only these two horrible things ripped the lungs apart in the way this influenza did. Click here to read more on Pulaski County Daily News ...

Darrell Todd Maurina

Offline darrellmaurina

• View Profile
Paramedicís Corner: The Captain of the Men of Death: A Story of the 1918 Influenza Pandemic, Part III

Paramedicís Corner: The Captain of the Men of Death: A Story of the 1918 Influenza Pandemic, Part III
In cases where we know the origin of pandemics, most started in Asia. Most scientists agree that the large population living in proximity to birds and pigs is why. Pandemics usually only happen when there is a change in the gene structure of the old virus. This change is referred to as ďantigen shift.Ē When antigen shifts occur, the immune system cannot recognize the antigen, and few people in the world would have antibodies developed for the new virus. Therefore the virus can explode through populations, sometimes with much danger. Antigen shift occurs when a virus that normally infects birds attacks humans. Everyone knows about the dreaded ďH5N1,Ē the so-called ďbird-fluĒ that spread from chickens to people in Hong Kong in 1997. This virus infected several people and killed six. Thankfully, the virus has not spread human-to-human. All those who got sick were infected directly by chickens. H5N1 continues to survive in chickens; it reappeared in 2003 killing another person. We pray not, but if H5N1 ever learns to spread human-to-human, the worldwide death rate will be horrible. It is too terrifying to talk about for most people. Click here to read more on Pulaski County Daily News ...

Darrell Todd Maurina

Offline Eeyore

• "Never leave your partner behind"
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
I just finished reading your story - Gary -- it is an interesting read and acentuates a book about the 1918 Pandemic that my husband brought home for both of us to read several years ago --- (Old Chemcial Folk always watch out for this kind of thing).

This is a very scary illness in deed!
    "Hey, hey, hey, hey now.  Don't be mean.  We don't have to be mean. because, remember, no matter where you go, there you are."      - The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai across The Eighth Dimension

Offline crazy horse

• View Profile
yes, and the similarities are scary

Offline crazy horse

• View Profile
Eeyore, the book I used and study the 1918 flu is: The Great Influenza by John M. Barry. An excellent work in not only the 1918 Influenza, but about the early development of medicine in our country, and politics. I highly recommend reading. Gets boring sometimes, but I love it for the research Barry did.

Gary

Offline Eeyore

• "Never leave your partner behind"
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
I'll get the name of my husband book for you as well.  All I can remember at this point is the bulk of the cover was grayscale pic of people with an orange banner with the title.  Thank you for the title of yours-- I bet my husband would read that cover to cover as well.
Eeyore, the book I used and study the 1918 flu is: The Great Influenza by John M. Barry. An excellent work in not only the 1918 Influenza, but about the early development of medicine in our country, and politics. I highly recommend reading. Gets boring sometimes, but I love it for the research Barry did.

Gary
    "Hey, hey, hey, hey now.  Don't be mean.  We don't have to be mean. because, remember, no matter where you go, there you are."      - The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai across The Eighth Dimension

Offline ♥♣ ~Maynard~♣♥

• GOING GREEN: Save a tree,eat a beaver.
    • View Profile
There is a lot of good info on he net about this book
just google the title.  The Great Influenza: The Epic Story of the Deadliest Plague in Historyby John M. Barry  The Great Influenza: The Epic Story of the Deadliest Plague in History     book data  1,472 ratings, 3.80 average rating, 390 reviews (more data...) 
  • [/url]  book data all editions 1,472 ratings, 3.80 average rating, 390 reviews  this edition 1,433 ratings, 3.79 average rating, 377 reviews

ratingfrequency
    %
      24%
      39%
      28%
      6%
      0%
    edit  published  October 4th 2005 by Penguin (Non-Classics)  details Paperback, 560 pages  isbn 0143036491    (isbn13: 9780143036494)  description At the height of WWI, historyís most lethal influenza virus erupted in an army camp in Kansas, moved east with American troops, then exploded, k[url=http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/29036.The_Great_Influenza_The_Epic_Story_of_the_Deadliest_Plague_in_History#]...more[/url]  [url=http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/29036.The_Great_Influenza_The_Epic_Story_of_the_Deadliest_Plague_in_History#][close][/url] At the height of WWI, historyís most lethal influenza virus erupted in an army camp in Kansas, moved east with American troops, then exploded, killing as many as 100 million people worldwide. It killed more people in twenty-four months than AIDS killed in twenty-four years, more in a year than the Black Death killed in a century. But this was not the Middle Ages, and 1918 marked the first collision of science and epidemic disease. Magisterial in its breadth of perspective and depth of research and now revised to reflect the growing danger of the avian flu, The Great Influenza is ultimately a tale of triumph amid tragedy, which provides us with a precise and sobering model as we confront the epidemics looming on our own horizon. John M. Barry has written a new afterword for this edition that brings us up to speed on the terrible threat of the avian flu and suggest ways in which we might head off another flu pandemic. [url=http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/29036.The_Great_Influenza_The_Epic_Story_of_the_Deadliest_Plague_in_History#][close][/url]
Remember I'm a nudist so when you respond to one of my post yor talking to a naked man  :)

For entertainment purposes only. Any resemblance to real persons living or dead is purely coincidental.

Offline crazy horse

• View Profile
Thats it, thank you Maynard.