Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • littlebit: Makes sense.
    July 16, 2017, 04:40:28 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Boards will stay open for a place people can find history information longer. I am not allowing anyone to sign up for now because of so many foreginers just wanting to promote their business..
    December 10, 2016, 05:10:27 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Not sure why didn't look, I may be shutting down these message boards..
    November 17, 2016, 12:42:43 AM
  • ~kathy~: rick why is the timestamp showing up a day in advance?
    September 13, 2016, 12:27:46 AM
  • Valor7: What I tried to say is that the actual money would not be there that quick. But a loan against that would work if they are willing to do that.
    August 08, 2016, 01:51:51 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Why so long before it comes online? 911 took out a loan or bond with the known guarantee payment and began building..
    August 08, 2016, 07:46:34 AM
  • Valor7: Actually no it is not, a dependable Revenue stream will not come on line until the 4th quarter of 2017 so 2018 budget will be up in the air, not quite sure what they will have. By 2019 budget all will be well.
    August 04, 2016, 09:27:17 PM
  • Valor7: You mean that tax that the Commissioners would not put on the ballot for so many years? Strange things happened when the citizens got a chance to vote on that issue.
    August 03, 2016, 06:43:06 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Back up is now available withe the new tax..
    August 03, 2016, 05:01:35 PM
  • Valor7: Thanks a lot Ladies!!
    July 29, 2016, 01:16:13 PM
  • littlebit: ((*(*&
    July 27, 2016, 03:47:52 PM
  • ~kathy~: lol
    July 15, 2016, 09:34:56 AM
  • Valor7: A guy could get killed around here while waiting for backup!
    July 13, 2016, 07:31:58 PM
  • Lepard LLC: You are not alone..
    July 13, 2016, 07:28:53 PM
  • Valor7: I just hate it when I talk to myself!!!!
    July 08, 2016, 12:54:09 PM
  • Valor7: I could have worded that better, we talked details, options, the pros and cons of each, in  order to arrive at the best ballot language to present to the voters. Hope that makes this clearer.
    April 15, 2016, 06:36:14 PM
  • Valor7: sorry about the typos still working with just one arm in action
    April 13, 2016, 01:10:42 PM
  • Valor7: Yes and no. We talked details and options until we were blue in the face but I never heardbring it over, it was always the time was not right for the issue to pass. Glad to see the time in now right and I for one shall vote yes on the ballot. I would urge all others to do the sameour county is busting at the seams crimewise and no matter how many bad guys we send off there always seems to someone to replace them. The Sheriff's Office needs the help.
    April 13, 2016, 01:08:35 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Is that true Valor? Did he ask you what you wanted?
    March 01, 2016, 04:55:37 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Gene Newkirk Rick I have waited for a Sheriff to bring it to me on what he wanted. I have pushed Mr long for a while to get it to me. He told me he was close to having or done. Now hopefully the people will get to decide on it. I spoke with Steve about this a few times.
    March 01, 2016, 04:54:54 AM
  • Kimberly: Wow- I have a new name..........
    February 23, 2016, 10:25:15 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Works on mine, improvements are being done here. I may kick back into her a lot and post but working on different technologies right now. Seeing how things interact.
    January 18, 2016, 09:01:20 AM
  • Valor7: Yes it is working. If you need a laugh the wife showed me how to correctly use the silly thing.
    January 04, 2016, 05:32:59 PM
  • Valor7: Think so, mine is trying to work but it is now user and password protected and I dont know mine
    December 17, 2015, 01:32:16 PM
  • "DJ": Is there still a working android app for the PCSD
    December 14, 2015, 08:14:53 PM

Author Topic: Flag pole bent  (Read 15652 times)

Offline monza66mo

• Lurker
  • If it's not broken... MAKE IT BETTER
    • View Profile
Flag pole bent
« on: September 02, 2009, 03:36:35 PM »

Share/Bookmark

Fort Wood Hotel

Boards

Devils Elbow

Attractions

Sports

St. Robert

Waynesville

PC Daily

Dixon

Menu Guide

Fun Links

Homework

Crocker

Fort Wood

Swedeborg

Big Piney

Laquey

Classifieds

Restaurants

Richland

Fort  Hotels

What's it going to take to get the flag pole straightened up?  Frankly, I don't understand how we can let this go for so long.  It's a HUGE disgrace to our nation's flag to allow this!  If there is anything I can do to help or fix this, let me know. If we all have to chip in and collect some $ to fix it, let's DO IT!!!  Meanwhile, the flags should not be flown until they can do so properly.

I think if those 3 poles were shortened (gotta shorten them all so the American Flag flies above the others) this wouldn't keep happening every time there is a storm.  Or get a good pole, not some flimsy piece of pipe. 

Come on Crocker!  Lets fix this ASAP!!! :anger: 

Offline Winter

• Go to your profile and put something here.
    • View Profile
Re: Flag pole bent
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2009, 05:10:25 PM »
Hmmm  haven't been in Crocker for awhile which flags are these?

Offline cricket

• me 115 feet up inn the air
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2009, 05:16:02 PM »
Goodluck with getting Crocker to do anything about our flag poles! Look at our sidewalks it has been almost 3 years, and they are still torn up. The old ones were better than what we have now. I heard we got a grant to fix them so what is the problem?? 
Live as you will wish to have lived when you are dying

Offline whatsnew

• I love coffee
  • I must have coffee or I am very grouchy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2009, 06:02:38 PM »
Which flag poles?
Yesterday is history
Tomorrow is a mystery
Today is a gift
Thats why they call it the present

Offline whatsnew

• I love coffee
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2009, 06:03:24 PM »
Goodluck with getting Crocker to do anything about our flag poles! Look at our sidewalks it has been almost 3 years, and they are still torn up. The old ones were better than what we have now. I heard we got a grant to fix them so what is the problem??

I am so glad my kids/grandkids dont have to walk that path anymore.. it is so dangereous.
Yesterday is history
Tomorrow is a mystery
Today is a gift

Offline monza66mo

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2009, 06:26:33 PM »
I called city hall today and was told they will turn in a request to the public works people.  If nothing happens in a week, who wants to join me in fixing this ourselves?  It looks like the pole can be removed from the base by removing 4 bolts.  I think if I had some help, we could pull out the bent pole and straighten it out.  Might as well cut about 3 feet off of the bottom so as to prevent future problems.  Have to cut all 3 poles like i stated earlier.

Offline Fafrd

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2009, 02:44:53 AM »
still no one has said where these flag poles are at, the only flag poles i can think of are at the park by the swimming pool and in front of the post office. Are there others?

Offline Racer

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2009, 03:30:51 AM »
Uptown by the caboose at the Norma Lea Park!
The public works can fix it, they have the time and money Im sure.
They just need to be told about it.

I was told there was a plan to fix the poles on Friday.  Relax Crocker, it will be taken care of.

Offline dragonslayer1971

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2009, 03:52:55 AM »
We try to to do things as fast as we can with what we've got. Now that we are short 1 man we have 2 guys that do trash 2 some times 3 days a week and 2 guys working on rerouting the sewer main around the new Dollar General then we have to get the town ready for Labor day
that don't leave too much time to do much of anything. We know the flag pole is bent we are going to try to have it straight by Labor day. And on the sidewalk we are waiting on state to approve the bids so the contractors can start.

Offline okie the thread killer

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2009, 04:02:11 AM »
oh no, they want it done, and they want it done NOW, lol...hang tough dragonslayer, and try to let it roll off your back.
I have it on good authority that the Hokey-Pokey really IS what it's all about.

Offline dragonslayer1971

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2009, 04:12:39 AM »
Can't let it bother you. You work with what you got there is always tomorrow to finish it. LOL   :yahoo: ###$$#@!

Offline Racer

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2009, 04:14:58 AM »
Can't let it bother you. You work with what you got there is always tomorrow to finish it. LOL   :yahoo: ###$$#@!

It will be done on Friday.   ;D    :yahoo:

Offline monza66mo

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2009, 10:06:14 AM »
oh no, they want it done, and they want it done NOW, lol...

Wrong Okie :anger: ... I want it done 3 weeks ago.  Am I the only American living here?  Doesn't it bother anyone else that the National Flag is being disrespected?   What happened to having some pride?  What is so funny about this? Seriously, if the flag can't be flown correctly, it should be taken down until the pole is fixed.  It's not like I'm just sitting at my keyboard complaining... I'm willing to get over there and fix it today if I can get a few people to help.

Dragonslayer ***(**& ...  I do appreciate your work.  Like I said, I'm willing to help if needed.

Offline mark

• http://www.gayalpinesurvival.com/
  • Proud Father
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2009, 12:39:36 PM »
  We have some huge flag poles at Church Don't know what they cost but we have never had a problem with them. And the sidewalk Don't even get me started. I did concrete for 20 years. We would be expected to have that job finished by 10:00 break so we could get to real job for that day!
We are not human beings having a spiritual experience.
We are spiritual beings having a human experience.
~Teilhard de Chardin

Offline dragonslayer1971

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2009, 08:15:26 PM »
Uptown by the caboose at the Norma Lea Park!
The public works can fix it, they have the time and money Im sure.
They just need to be told about it.

How would you know that they have the time and money?  They are always working their butts off. They do their job . Stop attacking the City Workers.LET THEM DO THEIR JOB! THEY ARE ON CALL 24 HOURS A DAY.

Offline ~kathy~

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2009, 08:21:56 PM »
   And the sidewalk Don't even get me started. I did concrete for 20 years. We would be expected to have that job finished by 10:00 break so we could get to real job for that day!

We know the flag pole is bent we are going to try to have it straight by Labor day. And on the sidewalk we are waiting on state to approve the bids so the contractors can start.

There is the reason the side walks arent done, Things do take time so please everyone give these guys a break there is alot of stuff going on and not enough workers to be everywheres.
Go ahead and blame me....Everyone else does

Offline wildman

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2009, 08:26:15 PM »
Wow, Mark, you stepped on some toes.... Unfortunately Crocker will always have issues. Always has and always will. Sure glad that I live in the country

Offline dragonslayer1971

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2009, 10:34:09 PM »
  We have some huge flag poles at Church Don't know what they cost but we have never had a problem with them. And the sidewalk Don't even get me started. I did concrete for 20 years. We would be expected to have that job finished by 10:00 break so we could get to real job for that day!
The flag poles were made by and bought from the school AG dept. so if they are not done right then talk to them. It is not our fault that the wind bent them . We will straiten them as soon as we can. And as for the sidewalk it is on state right of way and we got the grant from the Dept. of Transportation so they have to approve the contract and the sidewalk has to be done to their specs. So I don't care how long you have done concrete apparently you haven't done any work for state or you would already know this. So back off we will get to stuff when we can get to it !! P.S For those of you that know all the stuff we have to do thank you for appreciating us.

Offline monza66mo

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2009, 10:54:27 PM »
Well the flag isn't hanging off the bent pole anymore.  They put it on the pole to the north.  Thanks whoever did this.  Even though it's still incorrect, it's better than nothing.  Shows someone at least did something.

Now then... Let's talk about the condition of the flag...  I'm going to get a replacement, take it to city hall and ask them to not fly that fadded one anymore.  If someone wants to, they can do the same for the state flag since it's fadded also.

Offline dragonslayer1971

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2009, 11:15:56 PM »

Now then... Let's talk about the condition of the flag...  I'm going to get a replacement, take it to city hall and ask them to not fly that fadded one anymore.  If someone wants to, they can do the same for the state flag since it's fadded also.
I would just like to say in advance Thank You at least it shows that some people still care.

Offline monza66mo

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2009, 12:23:57 AM »
I can't help but care.  I spent my entire adult life defending this great nation and now continue to serve as a civilian.  The flag is very important to me and I'm often amazed when those around me don't share my sentiment.

In case anyone else cares, here's some information you should know:

Flag Etiquette
STANDARDS of RESPECT
The Flag Code, which formalizes and unifies the traditional ways in which we give respect to the flag, also contains specific instructions on how the flag is not to be used. They are: 
  • The flag should never be dipped to any person or thing. It is flown upside down only as a distress signal.  The flag should not be used as a drapery, or for covering a speakers desk, draping a platform, or for any decoration in general. Bunting of blue, white and red stripes is available for these purposes. The blue stripe of the bunting should be on the top.  The flag should never be used for any advertising purpose. It should not be embroidered, printed or otherwise impressed on such articles as cushions, handkerchiefs, napkins, boxes, or anything intended to be discarded after temporary use. Advertising signs should not be attached to the staff or halyard  The flag should not be used as part of a costume or athletic uniform, except that a flag patch may be used on the uniform of military personnel, fireman, policeman and members of patriotic organizations.  The flag should never have placed on it, or attached to it, any mark, insignia, letter, word, number, figure, or drawing of any kind.  The flag should never be used as a receptacle for receiving, holding, carrying, or delivering anything.
When the flag is lowered, no part of it should touch the ground or any other object; it should be received by waiting hands and arms. To store the flag it should be folded neatly and ceremoniously.  The flag should be cleaned and mended when necessary.  When a flag is so worn it is no longer fit to serve as a symbol of our country, it should be destroyed by burning in a dignified manner. 
Note: Most American Legion Posts regularly conduct a dignified flag burning ceremony, often on Flag Day, June 14th. Many Cub Scout Packs, Boy Scout Troops, and Girl Scout Troops retire flags regularly as well. Contact your local American Legion Hall or Scout Troop to inquire about the availability of this service.   

Displaying the Flag Outdoors
When the flag is displayed from a staff projecting from a window, balcony, or a building, the union should be at the peak of the staff unless the flag is at half staff.  When it is displayed from the same flagpole with another flag - of a state, community, society or Scout unit - the flag of the United States must always be at the top except that the church pennant may be flown above the flag during church services for Navy personnel when conducted by a Naval chaplain on a ship at sea.  When the flag is displayed over a street, it should be hung vertically, with the union to the north or east. If the flag is suspended over a sidewalk, the flag's union should be farthest from the building.  When flown with flags of states, communities, or societies on separate flag poles which are of the same height and in a straight line, the flag of the United States is always placed in the position of honor - to its own right.
..The other flags may be smaller but none may be larger.
..No other flag ever should be placed above it.
..The flag of the United States is always the first flag raised and the last to be lowered.  When flown with the national banner of other countries, each flag must be displayed from a separate pole of the same height. Each flag should be the same size. They should be raised and lowered simultaneously. The flag of one nation may not be displayed above that of another nation.   
Raising and Lowering the Flag
The flag should be raised briskly and lowered slowly and ceremoniously. Ordinarily it should be displayed only between sunrise and sunset. It should be illuminated if displayed at night.
The flag of the United States of America is saluted as it is hoisted and lowered. The salute is held until the flag is unsnapped from the halyard or through the last note of music, whichever is the longest.   
Displaying the Flag Indoors
When on display, the flag is accorded the place of honor, always positioned to its own right. Place it to the right of the speaker or staging area or sanctuary. Other flags should be to the left.  The flag of the United States of America should be at the center and at the highest point of the group when a number of flags of states, localities, or societies are grouped for display.  When one flag is used with the flag of the United States of America and the staffs are crossed, the flag of the United States is placed on its own right with its staff in front of the other flag.  When displaying the flag against a wall, vertically or horizontally, the flag's union (stars) should be at the top, to the flag's own right, and to the observer's left.   
Parading and Saluting the Flag
When carried in a procession, the flag should be to the right of the marchers. When other flags are carried, the flag of the United States may be centered in front of the others or carried to their right. When the flag passes in a procession, or when it is hoisted or lowered, all should face the flag and salute.   
The Salute
To salute, all persons come to attention. Those in uniform give the appropriate formal salute. Citizens not in uniform salute by placing their right hand over the heart and men with head cover should remove it and hold it to left shoulder, hand over the heart. Members of organizations in formation salute upon command of the person in charge.

The Pledge of Allegiance and National Anthem
The pledge of allegiance should be rendered by standing at attention, facing the flag, and saluting.
When the national anthem is played or sung, citizens should stand at attention and salute at the first note and hold the salute through the last note. The salute is directed to the flag, if displayed, otherwise to the music.   
The Flag in Mourning
To place the flag at half staff, hoist it to the peak for an instant and lower it to a position half way between the top and bottom of the staff. The flag is to be raised again to the peak for a moment before it is lowered. On Memorial Day the flag is displayed at half staff until noon and at full staff from noon to sunset.  The flag is to be flown at half staff in mourning for designated, principal government leaders and upon presidential or gubernatorial order.  When used to cover a casket, the flag should be placed with the union at the head and over the left shoulder. It should not be lowered into the grave.

Offline monza66mo

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2009, 12:32:03 AM »
Oh yeah...  I almost forgot... In case you didn't know, Veterans and military not in uniform may render a hand salute when the flag is raised, lowered or passed.  This law was passed in the National Defense Authorization Act of 2008, which took effect Jan. 28, 2008.

Offline mark

• http://www.gayalpinesurvival.com/
  • Proud Father
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2009, 12:43:14 AM »
The flag poles were made by and bought from the school AG dept. so if they are not done right then talk to them. It is not our fault that the wind bent them . We will straiten them as soon as we can. And as for the sidewalk it is on state right of way and we got the grant from the Dept. of Transportation so they have to approve the contract and the sidewalk has to be done to their specs. So I don't care how long you have done concrete apparently you haven't done any work for state or you would already know this. So back off we will get to stuff when we can get to it !! P.S For those of you that know all the stuff we have to do thank you for appreciating us.
I know it doesn't take three years as I said I could do that job before break time!
We are not human beings having a spiritual experience.
We are spiritual beings having a human experience.
~Teilhard de Chardin

Offline monza66mo

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2009, 12:45:17 AM »
OK... One more thing and then I'll get off my soap box.  It's my distinct honor to report to you all that I just ordered our replacement flag.  It should be here next Tuesday and I'll take it to City Hall as soon as it arrives.

Offline igahmah at work

• Global Moderator
  • Some pursue happiness, others create it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2009, 02:30:21 AM »
When I used to work on post back in the 80's when they played taps to raise or lower the flag, everyone stopped what they were doing and looked toward the flag.  Oh boy, I long for the good old days of respect for our country.   I don't know they may still do it, I don't work on post anymore, (I have my resume in anybody need a good secretary) but I do miss the days when a flag was respected for what is is, a symbol of our United States of America.
When I was young, I wanted to be older.  This is not what I expected!

Offline whatsnew

• I love coffee
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2009, 11:50:19 AM »
Iggy the soldiers that are entering a dining facility at 5 PM do stop and salute the flag and they dont take another step until taps are done..  :th_gen129:  Its neat to watch them..

As a little girl, many moons ago the members of the VFW in Crocker selected a members family to raise and lower the city flag on a monthly rotation..
I remember going every morning and evening with my dad to do this.. It was a beautiful and honored thing to make sure the flag was hung properly and like never touch the ground.
Does Crockers VFW stilll do this? If not..they should because children learn so much about the flag and its honor.
Yesterday is history
Tomorrow is a mystery
Today is a gift

Offline fknarmyguyretired

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2009, 01:10:04 PM »
Keep preaching !!!!!

OK... One more thing and then I'll get off my soap box.  It's my distinct honor to report to you all that I just ordered our replacement flag.  It should be here next Tuesday and I'll take it to City Hall as soon as it arrives.

Offline igahmah at work

• Global Moderator
  • Some pursue happiness, others create it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2009, 01:38:31 PM »
I worked at the hospital and post headquarters was right across the street.  Whenever they would raise or lower the flag we would look to the flag and almost everybody did it.  Seems to me they did something at noon too,  I can't remember.
When I was young, I wanted to be older.  This is not what I expected!

Offline fireman_jeff

• Common sense isn't so common
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2009, 03:12:44 PM »
When I used to work on post back in the 80's when they played taps to raise or lower the flag, everyone stopped what they were doing and looked toward the flag.  Oh boy, I long for the good old days of respect for our country.   I don't know they may still do it, I don't work on post anymore, (I have my resume in anybody need a good secretary) but I do miss the days when a flag was respected for what is is, a symbol of our United States of America.

I can remember going onto FLW as a kid with my grandma and she would almost turn her van over trying to stop when the taps was playing. Now you might see a handfull of cars pull over for it. It sure isn't like some places I have seen.
1*

Offline LarryG

• 4 gold stars
  • Go to your profile and put something here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2009, 12:46:19 AM »
I just got to thinking I am having a V8 momment.  Did anyone notice the flag pole at the crocker parade today?
 I didnt because i was ducking candy being thrown by the Sheriff and the chief of police.  them guys are dangerous.
 I am sure sorry to see the Ish man leaving The chiefs job.
But money does talk. just open your wallet. mine says please feed me I am so lonely.