Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • littlebit: Makes sense.
    July 16, 2017, 04:40:28 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Boards will stay open for a place people can find history information longer. I am not allowing anyone to sign up for now because of so many foreginers just wanting to promote their business..
    December 10, 2016, 05:10:27 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Not sure why didn't look, I may be shutting down these message boards..
    November 17, 2016, 12:42:43 AM
  • ~kathy~: rick why is the timestamp showing up a day in advance?
    September 13, 2016, 12:27:46 AM
  • Valor7: What I tried to say is that the actual money would not be there that quick. But a loan against that would work if they are willing to do that.
    August 08, 2016, 01:51:51 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Why so long before it comes online? 911 took out a loan or bond with the known guarantee payment and began building..
    August 08, 2016, 07:46:34 AM
  • Valor7: Actually no it is not, a dependable Revenue stream will not come on line until the 4th quarter of 2017 so 2018 budget will be up in the air, not quite sure what they will have. By 2019 budget all will be well.
    August 04, 2016, 09:27:17 PM
  • Valor7: You mean that tax that the Commissioners would not put on the ballot for so many years? Strange things happened when the citizens got a chance to vote on that issue.
    August 03, 2016, 06:43:06 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Back up is now available withe the new tax..
    August 03, 2016, 05:01:35 PM
  • Valor7: Thanks a lot Ladies!!
    July 29, 2016, 01:16:13 PM
  • littlebit: ((*(*&
    July 27, 2016, 03:47:52 PM
  • ~kathy~: lol
    July 15, 2016, 09:34:56 AM
  • Valor7: A guy could get killed around here while waiting for backup!
    July 13, 2016, 07:31:58 PM
  • Lepard LLC: You are not alone..
    July 13, 2016, 07:28:53 PM
  • Valor7: I just hate it when I talk to myself!!!!
    July 08, 2016, 12:54:09 PM
  • Valor7: I could have worded that better, we talked details, options, the pros and cons of each, in  order to arrive at the best ballot language to present to the voters. Hope that makes this clearer.
    April 15, 2016, 06:36:14 PM
  • Valor7: sorry about the typos still working with just one arm in action
    April 13, 2016, 01:10:42 PM
  • Valor7: Yes and no. We talked details and options until we were blue in the face but I never heardbring it over, it was always the time was not right for the issue to pass. Glad to see the time in now right and I for one shall vote yes on the ballot. I would urge all others to do the sameour county is busting at the seams crimewise and no matter how many bad guys we send off there always seems to someone to replace them. The Sheriff's Office needs the help.
    April 13, 2016, 01:08:35 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Is that true Valor? Did he ask you what you wanted?
    March 01, 2016, 04:55:37 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Gene Newkirk Rick I have waited for a Sheriff to bring it to me on what he wanted. I have pushed Mr long for a while to get it to me. He told me he was close to having or done. Now hopefully the people will get to decide on it. I spoke with Steve about this a few times.
    March 01, 2016, 04:54:54 AM
  • Kimberly: Wow- I have a new name..........
    February 23, 2016, 10:25:15 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Works on mine, improvements are being done here. I may kick back into her a lot and post but working on different technologies right now. Seeing how things interact.
    January 18, 2016, 09:01:20 AM
  • Valor7: Yes it is working. If you need a laugh the wife showed me how to correctly use the silly thing.
    January 04, 2016, 05:32:59 PM
  • Valor7: Think so, mine is trying to work but it is now user and password protected and I dont know mine
    December 17, 2015, 01:32:16 PM
  • "DJ": Is there still a working android app for the PCSD
    December 14, 2015, 08:14:53 PM

Author Topic: Olympics  (Read 4892 times)

Offline Geezer Glide Taz

• Land Of The Free, Because Of The Brave
  • Riding Vertical Shiny Side Up
    • View Profile
Olympics
« on: September 29, 2009, 02:18:14 PM »

Share/Bookmark

Fort Wood Hotel

Boards

Devils Elbow

Attractions

Sports

St. Robert

Waynesville

PC Daily

Dixon

Menu Guide

Fun Links

Homework

Crocker

Fort Wood

Swedeborg

Big Piney

Laquey

Classifieds

Restaurants

Richland

Fort  Hotels

OK, here is something I have issues about.  Why is the President of the United States, with all our problems we have spending time campaigning to get the Olympics in Chicago?
For all you party haters, forget about the party and look at this with an open eye. Politics should not be involved with the Olympics period. The united states has a Olympic Committee and that is their job. Once Politics becomes that involved with the Olympics, then it becomes a money thing and the whole background of the thing sport dies. it has already been tainted with drugs and other issues, but to bring politics into it, that will kill the sport in my mind.
There are enough things that the president needs to be involved in, this is not one of them. If the first lady was assisting the OIC, then I could see that, but this is not the case.
I don't remember another president traveling the world doing this before, but if they did I would have issues about this too.
Freedom Of Road Riders,
Protecting and informing riders in Missouri
www.midamericafreedomrally.com

Please watch out for Motorcycles on the road
The life you save might be mine

Offline matrsnot

• View Profile
Re: Olympics
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2009, 02:40:23 PM »
I agree.  The last president involving politics was Carter and that did our athletes no good at all.

Offline fish

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2009, 02:54:58 PM »
there is speculation it is a done deal for chicago. that would make it seem nobama got the olympics to come to chicago. I agree there are for more important problems he could be concentrating on, afghanistan for 1

Offline CriTTer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2009, 03:50:57 PM »
If he can say a few words that would help the city get the games to come here so what....the boost to the economy will be gigantic to the chicago area.   The only beef i have with it is i dont see what chicago has to offer the world of international sports to begin with.  I guess they could show everyone the spot where mrs Olearys cow started the fire .  maybe they plan on putting the Middle eastern campus in the southside.   
  it would be safer for the worlds teams to be in a safe country

Offline SilverFox

• Go to your profile and put something here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2009, 04:12:10 PM »
As mentioned above we have more important issues' for the president to be working on. If our president's want to lobby for the olympics abolish the OIC. We have a general screaming for troops in Afanganistan the olympics can wait. The taxpayer shouldn't have to pay to fly air force one for this purpose. If the first lady and Oprah wants to go, go on their dime. As also mentioned above, it is probably a done deal for Chicago anyway. Just maybe the olympics will be more successful than the cubs.

Offline CriTTer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2009, 04:30:20 PM »
In case ne1 had not noticed, the management of wars is not the only job the president of the united states has under "job description".  In fact i bet he does just fine at multi tasking.  you guys crack me up

Offline fish

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2009, 05:38:30 PM »
checked the crime rate in chicago lately critter?

I would say afghanistan is a lot higher priority than the olympics.

Offline Geezer Glide Taz

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2009, 05:53:55 PM »
In case ne1 had not noticed, the management of wars is not the only job the president of the united states has under "job description".  In fact i bet he does just fine at multi tasking.  you guys crack me up
Managing the Olympic is definitely NOT on his job description. YOU PEOPLE CRACK ME UP, because you friggin refuse to be open minded. If Bush had done this you would be screaming up a storm, but now its a democrat, so he can do no wrong. If the democrats said every 5th person needed to jump off a cliff to lower the population, you would be in line counting off. Get off the "My Party can do no wrong" crap. It is not the presidents business to be leading anything that has to do with the Olympic games. We have OIC personnel that get paid well to do just that. And I can not help to reiterate, POLITICS HAS NO BUSINESS BEING INVOLVED WITH THE OLYMPICS.
Freedom Of Road Riders,

Offline What_The?

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2009, 06:18:36 PM »
This reminds me of another president.  Post 9/11 and Iraq war, telling the nation that the most important thing the US needed to focus on was a manned mission to Mars.

"There are plenty of good reasons for fighting, but no good reason ever to hate without reservation, to imagine that God almighty Himself hates with you, too. Where's evil? It's that large part of every man that wants to hate without limit, that wants to hate with God on its side." - Kurt Vonnegut

Offline Geezer Glide Taz

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2009, 06:47:21 PM »
This reminds me of another president.  Post 9/11 and Iraq war, telling the nation that the most important thing the US needed to focus on was a manned mission to Mars.

Agree, when a country is going broke and yet we are still spending billions to see if dried up lake on Mars had any life. Stop the madness. I bet if we took all that money for 5 years and reinvested it into this country, we would once again be rich enough we could waste it on space exploration.
Don't just hammer Bush though, did we not just spend a few billion on a new toilet for the space station under the current administration?
I feel we no longer need to be using any taxpayer money for this, there are enough super rich corporations that want satellites that can start funding this.
Freedom Of Road Riders,

Offline What_The?

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2009, 06:53:58 PM »
The Olympics are a joke anyways.  Everyoe cheats and uses performance enhancing drugs, athletes are in it for the money (amateurs my arse) and its just a giant corporate jerkoff.  The IOC is corrupted by money and in the end, nobody cares after it is over. 
"There are plenty of good reasons for fighting, but no good reason ever to hate without reservation, to imagine that God almighty Himself hates with you, too. Where's evil? It's that large part of every man that wants to hate without limit, that wants to hate with God on its side." - Kurt Vonnegut

Offline Coyote

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2009, 07:19:08 PM »
Sadly, I agree.  I remember when I was a kid...we all loved the Olympics..couldn't wait for it to begin and were so proud when our country won.  We knew the names of our olympians and still remember them to this day.  WT is right because not too many people care about it anymore.

The Olympics are a joke anyways.  Everyoe cheats and uses performance enhancing drugs, athletes are in it for the money (amateurs my arse) and its just a giant corporate jerkoff.  The IOC is corrupted by money and in the end, nobody cares after it is over. 
....and that night as the moon crossed the mountain, one more Coyote was heard...

Offline CriTTer

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2009, 09:11:08 PM »
Managing the Olympic is definitely NOT on his job description. YOU PEOPLE CRACK ME UP, because you friggin refuse to be open minded. If Bush had done this you would be screaming up a storm, but now its a democrat, so he can do no wrong. If the democrats said every 5th person needed to jump off a cliff to lower the population, you would be in line counting off. Get off the "My Party can do no wrong" crap. It is not the presidents business to be leading anything that has to do with the Olympic games. We have OIC personnel that get paid well to do just that. And I can not help to reiterate, POLITICS HAS NO BUSINESS BEING INVOLVED WITH THE OLYMPICS.
  How do you get "managing"  the Olympics out of speaking for the city of Chicago in the "support" of the city  of chicago ??? ?     This is a prime example of how people want so badly to pursuade others that they would make up lies to try to turn something into what it is not!   you people crack ME up!

Offline Geezer Glide Taz

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2009, 09:28:33 PM »
  How do you get "managing"  the Olympics out of speaking for the city of Chicago in the "support" of the city  of chicago ??? ?     This is a prime example of how people want so badly to pursuade others that they would make up lies to try to turn something into what it is not!   you people crack ME up!
So now I am a Liar, because my opinion is not the same as yours. Typical response from some one of your caliber. When you can no longer come up with a good rebuttal to a statement, lets just call the other person a liar, and that solves everything.
You people no longer crack me up, you just plain entertain me.
Freedom Of Road Riders,

Offline CriTTer

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2009, 09:48:36 PM »
So now I am a Liar, because my opinion is not the same as yours. Typical response from some one of your caliber. When you can no longer come up with a good rebuttal to a statement, lets just call the other person a liar, and that solves everything.
You people no longer crack me up, you just plain entertain me.
  did i call you a liar ?.....i asked you a F^%$ ing question and now you are changing the subject...    How do you get the part of him managing the olympics instead of speaking for the city.  you said it not me  and you dont know me or my caliber,  but for the record i do hate stupidity

Offline Geezer Glide Taz

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2009, 10:04:05 PM »
  did i call you a liar ?.....i asked you a F^%$ ing question and now you are changing the subject...    How do you get the part of him managing the olympics instead of speaking for the city.  you said it not me  and you dont know me or my caliber,  but for the record i do hate stupidity
"This is a prime example of how people want so badly to persuade others that they would make up lies to try to turn something into what it is not!" Yup, I take that as you calling me a liar since you were commenting on my statement. I do believe the definition of a liar is someone who makes up lies. If you don't mean it, retrack it, but thats how i read it.
As far as him "managing" the Olympics, play the little word games, i really don't care. He has no business going over there, not only is this not his job (and he is the first president to ever do this, I looked it up) but he is using 2 Airplanes to get there, at the cost of the tax payer, plus a military plane that flew his Limo, when dignitaries from other countries are going to be using a teleconference to talk at this. So why does he along with his ontorage and VIPs, and all h the first ladies personnel, have to fly over, stay in hotels, when he could have also sent the US OIC Committee to set it up (again that is their job) and then he could have made a presentation over the teleconference.
I have nothing against Obama, I actually hope he fixes this country, but wrong is wrong.
Freedom Of Road Riders,

Offline CriTTer

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2009, 11:25:12 PM »
 JULIE PACE, Associated Press Writer Julie Pace, Associated Press Writer – Mon Sep 28, 5:26 pm ET  WASHINGTON – President Barack Obama's decision to fly to Denmark to support Chicago's Olympics bid elevates the Games to an issue of national importance — and exposes him to political risks as well as rewards at a critical point in his presidency.
Obama's presentation in Copenhagen on Friday will be the first time a U.S. president has appeared before the International Olympic Committee to lobby for an Olympics. Obama initially had said he couldn't make the trip because he needed to tend to the health care debate at home.
As the White House announced the change of heart on Monday, there seemed to be increasing confidence that the votes could be stacking up Chicago's way to host the 2016 Summer Games. If Chicago does come away the victor in the four-way race — Madrid, Rio de Janeiro and Tokyo are the other contenders — Obama could get a political boost for helping to deliver the Games to his adopted hometown and for handing the U.S. a fresh source of national pride.
If the U.S. loses, he still might get points for trying. But he would be visibly tied to a failed effort — and to the spending of political capital on an endeavor many Americans might consider unworthy of so much of a president's time and energy.
This is something Obama can ill afford when the public already shows signs of fatigue with his major efforts on so many fronts at once, many so far unfulfilled.
"If you actually go to Copenhagen and meet with the Olympic committee, you're really on the line to deliver," said Darrell West, a political analyst at the Washington-based Brookings Institution.
The president already has a lot on the line.
He's re-examining his administration's strategy in Afghanistan, managing the shaky U.S. economy and pushing hard for health care overhaul.
Aides say Obama didn't make the decision to travel until this past weekend, after he returned home from the G-20 economic summit in Pittsburgh and consulted with first lady Michelle Obama and senior adviser Valerie Jarrett. They both were already planning to travel to Copenhagen as the U.S. delegation leaders, due to depart Tuesday.
The president decided that the contentious health care negotiations were "in a better place," making the trip possible, White House press secretary Robert Gibbs said.
The administration was given no advance hint of victory that would make the president's decision less risky, Gibbs said.
Obama's itinerary, allowing him only a few hours in Copenhagen, suggests he is aware he is walking a thin line. The president is flying overnight Thursday, making a presentation to the IOC members on Friday, and returning to Washington the same day. He may not even stick around to see the winning city announced.
Speaking to reporters at The White House Monday, the first lady said she knows his involvement raises expectations for Chicago's bid.
"You're darned if you do, and you're darned if you don't," she said. "I'd rather be on the side of doing it."
She will spend Wednesday and Thursday meeting individual IOC members, then she and the president will each make a presentation during Friday's meeting and take questions from the committee. Mrs. Obama said she's taking with her a lesson learned on the campaign trail.
"One conversation or one example or illustration that connects could make the difference," she said.
The president has long been a supporter of Chicago's bid, and recently sent letters to IOC members promising a "spectacular Olympic experience for one and all."
Heads of state have been instrumental in recent votes, creating somewhat of a new precedent.  Tony Blair helped London win the 2012 Olympics by traveling to Singapore to meet with IOC members ahead of that vote, and Russia's Vladimir Putin went to Guatemala to lobby in support of Sochi's bid for the 2014 Winter Games. Brazilian President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva will be in Copenhagen to make the case for Rio. King Juan Carlos of Spain and Spanish Prime Minister Jose Luis Rodriguez Zapatero will be there, too, boosting Madrid, and new Japanese Prime Minister Yukio Hatoyama will be on hand for Tokyo.  IOC executive board member Gerhard Heiberg, who will cast a vote Friday, said Obama's appearance is a positive development for the U.S. "He is a powerful person and a great personality," Heiberg said. "It will make an impact."  And Karl Christian Koch, secretary general of Denmark's Olympic committee, said Obama's trip increases Chicago's chances.  America's supporters in Copenhagen were already high-wattage. The contingent assembled by Chicago's host committee includes talk show host Oprah Winfrey as well as 14 Olympic and two Paralympic gold medalists.  In addition to the first lady and senior adviser Jarrett, the official delegation includes Education Secretary Arne Duncan and Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood. All are from Illinois.

it seems it is common practice for other countries leaders to make a appearance for their countries,  why not ours. 

Offline fish

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2009, 01:43:10 AM »
I agree geezer! I get a lot of entertainment from some. I think th ioc might want to check the crime rate in chicago again. I don't think the olympics are a good deal for any city here. they spend millions they don't have. what happens to all the crap built afterwards? local business profits, which is good. but I think the taxpayers have more important things to have their money spent on right now, like afghanistan. nobama is godd at multi tasking though. he can be ineffective on many things at once.

Offline CriTTer

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2009, 01:57:44 AM »
I agree geezer! I get a lot of entertainment from some. I think th ioc might want to check the crime rate in chicago again. I don't think the olympics are a good deal for any city here. they spend millions they don't have. what happens to all the crap built afterwards? local business profits, which is good. but I think the taxpayers have more important things to have their money spent on right now, like afghanistan. nobama is godd at multi tasking though. he can be ineffective on many things at once.
the games generate billions in revenue and not only in chicago but the tourist will travel to areas thru out the midwest....why do you think citys go all out for the games?   $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$    but since its a dem prez working for something which is a plus for our country you think its a bad thing....  still crackin me up !!

Offline fish

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2009, 02:01:04 AM »
but what about after the games are over? what then?

Offline fish

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2009, 02:03:27 AM »

Offline Seeg

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2009, 02:11:11 AM »
Very nice and informative article.  Thanks for finding and posting!
"I love my country... it's just the government I fear!"

Offline Geezer Glide Taz

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2009, 02:20:20 AM »
Nice article fish
All i hear now are crickets.......yup, just crickets
Freedom Of Road Riders,

Offline CriTTer

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2009, 03:19:10 AM »
http://www.forbes.com/2006/02/08/host-city-olympics_cx_tvr_0208olympiccity.html

afghanistan is time and money well spent
  to bad the 2006 article you posted was incorrect.  china made out like a fat rat on the gamesSeptember 28th, 2009 11:59 am ET

Two minuets of research about China's olympics in 2008
2,100,000 jobs
3-5% growth in GDP
improved infrastruction
source of national pride
additioanl 2% increase in economic growth
"It is widely assumed that the Olympics Games have a broad economic impact and that the Games have an unequivocally positive effect on the host country and city. More and more cities are now coming forward as Olympic bidders.
The macroeconomic impact of a summer Olympic Games is assumed to be over US$5 billion. The direct impact of investment and visitation is clear if short-term. The broader image benefits would be proven in the longer term: providing a platform for a nation’s corporations to excel and providing a showcase for a city region to attract inward investors." quote from LOCUM DESTINATION R E V I E W 3:2001 Olympic Economics

Offline CriTTer

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2009, 03:25:42 AM »
but what about after the games are over? what then?
  ????   some people will put the money in the bank ....some will use it to expand a business,  others will blow it on beer and hookers

Offline LarryG

• 4 gold stars
  • Go to your profile and put something here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2009, 04:08:06 AM »
Well if Obama doesn't get the Olympics to come to Chicago Maybe he can get the Special Olympics.
Yep I believe that would work.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eg3Ugi3WtM

Offline igahmah at work

• Global Moderator
  • Some pursue happiness, others create it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2009, 02:22:56 PM »
"Tony Blair helped London win the 2012 Olympics by traveling to Singapore to meet with IOC members ahead of that vote, and Russia's Vladimir Putin went to Guatemala to lobby in support of Sochi's bid for the 2014 Winter Games. Brazilian President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva will be in Copenhagen to make the case for Rio. King Juan Carlos of Spain and Spanish Prime Minister Jose Luis Rodriguez Zapatero will be there, too, boosting Madrid, and new Japanese Prime Minister Yukio Hatoyama will be on hand for Tokyo. "  Quote

How many of these presidents at the time of their visit had two wars to attend to, an economy that was falling apart, and a health care plan that they were trying to push through.

Just saying, I think he many more important things to do.  Does he want his legacy to be "I brought the olympics to Chicago" or "I brought a civil end to two wars, solved the economic problem, and brought health care to millions of uninsured?" 

Why would a president want the olympics in their country.  The US is fighting terrorism left and right at this time. What an opportunity for a terrorist attach the Olympics would be.  And in Chicago, I just heard on the news the other night, crime is at a all time high. Any money the city makes on the Olympics will have to be paid out in extra security and police forces.  Oh wait, does the US government pay for security during the Olympics?  Just wondering.  This is not the time for Olympics in any US city, let alone Chicago.
When I was young, I wanted to be older.  This is not what I expected!

Offline Coyote

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2009, 03:54:59 PM »
Well, actually America could use some good things here and there.
....and that night as the moon crossed the mountain, one more Coyote was heard...

Offline igahmah at work

• Global Moderator
  • Some pursue happiness, others create it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2009, 04:46:26 PM »
You are right, America could use some good things here and there.  They could use a president that stays home and takes care of business instead of showing up on every tv channel and talk show there is or traveling all over the world not on US business but on his family vacations, he and Michelle going on dates,  and to drum up business for Chicago and his cronies up there.  I would like to know how many nights he has spent "in the White House" during his first 9 months in office?  How many days has he spent in his office in the first 9 months in office?  Compare to other presidents, Clinton, Bush, Kennedy any of them what is the difference.
When I was young, I wanted to be older.  This is not what I expected!

Offline matrsnot

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2009, 05:03:18 PM »
IAW is correct.  Chicago would be an ideal area for a terrorist attack during the Olympic Games.  Crime is very high there.  It is a gun free zone...except for criminals of course.  I don't know WHO would pay the security for sure.