Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • littlebit: Makes sense.
    July 16, 2017, 04:40:28 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Boards will stay open for a place people can find history information longer. I am not allowing anyone to sign up for now because of so many foreginers just wanting to promote their business..
    December 10, 2016, 05:10:27 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Not sure why didn't look, I may be shutting down these message boards..
    November 17, 2016, 12:42:43 AM
  • ~kathy~: rick why is the timestamp showing up a day in advance?
    September 13, 2016, 12:27:46 AM
  • Valor7: What I tried to say is that the actual money would not be there that quick. But a loan against that would work if they are willing to do that.
    August 08, 2016, 01:51:51 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Why so long before it comes online? 911 took out a loan or bond with the known guarantee payment and began building..
    August 08, 2016, 07:46:34 AM
  • Valor7: Actually no it is not, a dependable Revenue stream will not come on line until the 4th quarter of 2017 so 2018 budget will be up in the air, not quite sure what they will have. By 2019 budget all will be well.
    August 04, 2016, 09:27:17 PM
  • Valor7: You mean that tax that the Commissioners would not put on the ballot for so many years? Strange things happened when the citizens got a chance to vote on that issue.
    August 03, 2016, 06:43:06 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Back up is now available withe the new tax..
    August 03, 2016, 05:01:35 PM
  • Valor7: Thanks a lot Ladies!!
    July 29, 2016, 01:16:13 PM
  • littlebit: ((*(*&
    July 27, 2016, 03:47:52 PM
  • ~kathy~: lol
    July 15, 2016, 09:34:56 AM
  • Valor7: A guy could get killed around here while waiting for backup!
    July 13, 2016, 07:31:58 PM
  • Lepard LLC: You are not alone..
    July 13, 2016, 07:28:53 PM
  • Valor7: I just hate it when I talk to myself!!!!
    July 08, 2016, 12:54:09 PM
  • Valor7: I could have worded that better, we talked details, options, the pros and cons of each, in  order to arrive at the best ballot language to present to the voters. Hope that makes this clearer.
    April 15, 2016, 06:36:14 PM
  • Valor7: sorry about the typos still working with just one arm in action
    April 13, 2016, 01:10:42 PM
  • Valor7: Yes and no. We talked details and options until we were blue in the face but I never heardbring it over, it was always the time was not right for the issue to pass. Glad to see the time in now right and I for one shall vote yes on the ballot. I would urge all others to do the sameour county is busting at the seams crimewise and no matter how many bad guys we send off there always seems to someone to replace them. The Sheriff's Office needs the help.
    April 13, 2016, 01:08:35 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Is that true Valor? Did he ask you what you wanted?
    March 01, 2016, 04:55:37 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Gene Newkirk Rick I have waited for a Sheriff to bring it to me on what he wanted. I have pushed Mr long for a while to get it to me. He told me he was close to having or done. Now hopefully the people will get to decide on it. I spoke with Steve about this a few times.
    March 01, 2016, 04:54:54 AM
  • Kimberly: Wow- I have a new name..........
    February 23, 2016, 10:25:15 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Works on mine, improvements are being done here. I may kick back into her a lot and post but working on different technologies right now. Seeing how things interact.
    January 18, 2016, 09:01:20 AM
  • Valor7: Yes it is working. If you need a laugh the wife showed me how to correctly use the silly thing.
    January 04, 2016, 05:32:59 PM
  • Valor7: Think so, mine is trying to work but it is now user and password protected and I dont know mine
    December 17, 2015, 01:32:16 PM
  • "DJ": Is there still a working android app for the PCSD
    December 14, 2015, 08:14:53 PM

Author Topic: Response of Sheriffs Dept  (Read 9828 times)

Offline pinkytus

• Lurker
  • Go to your profile and put something here.
    • View Profile
Response of Sheriffs Dept
« on: November 11, 2009, 09:40:05 PM »

Share/Bookmark

Fort Wood Hotel

Boards

Devils Elbow

Attractions

Sports

St. Robert

Waynesville

PC Daily

Dixon

Menu Guide

Fun Links

Homework

Crocker

Fort Wood

Swedeborg

Big Piney

Laquey

Classifieds

Restaurants

Richland

Fort  Hotels

I would like to know what I need to do to get a quicker response from county and actual investigation into what happen. There were gunshots fired at my house the other morning and after calling 5 times and an hour of waiting, county finally showed up. Before they responded they called my phone and told me that because I live in a high crime area that has numerous reports of gunfire, they did not see the need to respond. I explained that myself and all homeowners around me were elderly and that I was concerned for my neighbors safety. After arrival, the three officers did a 2 minute search, spoke a few minutes, and left the scene without well being checks done on my neighbors. After talking to my neighbors, they witnessed the vehicles as well. What do I have to do to get further investigation done.

Offline blissfullybusy

• View Profile
Re: Response of Sheriffs Dept
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2009, 09:47:06 PM »
I'm sorry you had such a bad situation, I would have been terrified if gun shots were fired at my home!!!!!

I may be speaking out of turn, but this is one of things that you get what you pay for.  Sadly our county can't afford to pay the officers more.... the more experienced officers move on to higher paying jobs.

So my response to how to get something done is to push the commissioners to put a 1/2 cent sales tax up to vote, so we can get some more experienced officers and we can have MORE officers. 

JMO
Women are Angels

And when someone breaks our wings....

We simply continue to fly.........on a broomstick...

Because we are flexible like that

Offline Lepard LLC

• Activist
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2009, 09:48:45 PM »
The bullets hit your house?

I would like to know what I need to do to get a quicker response from county and actual investigation into what happen. There were gunshots fired at my house the other morning and after calling 5 times and an hour of waiting, county finally showed up. Before they responded they called my phone and told me that because I live in a high crime area that has numerous reports of gunfire, they did not see the need to respond. I explained that myself and all homeowners around me were elderly and that I was concerned for my neighbors safety. After arrival, the three officers did a 2 minute search, spoke a few minutes, and left the scene without well being checks done on my neighbors. After talking to my neighbors, they witnessed the vehicles as well. What do I have to do to get further investigation done.

Offline okie the thread killer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2009, 09:58:22 PM »
Where on earth do you live? Has it happened before?
I have it on good authority that the Hokey-Pokey really IS what it's all about.

Offline pinkytus

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2009, 10:00:11 PM »
I live in Valley Park. As far as I can see, there are none lodged in my house or front trees.

Offline Lepard LLC

• Activist
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2009, 10:02:27 PM »
So people are right in front of your house and they are shooting at your house, yet no bullets hit your house? Perhaps you are streching the truth here?

I live in Valley Park. As far as I can see, there are none lodged in my house or front trees.

Offline pinkytus

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2009, 03:15:43 AM »
Coming from the man who can't report a motorcycle accident correctly.

Offline CriTTer

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2009, 03:59:35 AM »
I'm sorry you had such a bad situation, I would have been terrified if gun shots were fired at my home!!!!!

I may be speaking out of turn, but this is one of things that you get what you pay for.  Sadly our county can't afford to pay the officers more.... the more experienced officers move on to higher paying jobs.

So my response to how to get something done is to push the commissioners to put a 1/2 cent sales tax up to vote, so we can get some more experienced officers and we can have MORE officers. 

JMO
money is a piss poor excuse..they signed on for the amount they were told they were gonna get so even if it is low they still have a job to do

Offline blissfullybusy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2009, 05:12:37 AM »
money is a piss poor excuse..they signed on for the amount they were told they were gonna get so even if it is low they still have a job to do

I agree with you 200%, I'm just saying even though it shouldn't be.... it is. ;(
Women are Angels

And when someone breaks our wings....

We simply continue to fly.........on a broomstick...

Because we are flexible like that

Offline COUGAR59

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2009, 12:59:43 PM »
maybe you should call the state highway patrol and see if they respond any quicker.

Offline Chas

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2009, 03:48:02 PM »
If the actual response was because you live in a high crime area that has numerous reports of gunfire they did not see the need to respond. Maybe they should be hanging around that area more. Missed you house, maybe they are bad shots, or were shooting in the air.
No money is a poor excuse, I would vote for the ˝ cent tax if they got it on the ballot. However I’m not sure that it would pass. In this instance with out knowing all the facts, the “did not need to respond” answer given is the worse part about this.

Offline jeepguy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2009, 03:54:29 PM »
sounds like a bunch of crap to me, if this really happened and the Sheriffs office said that, I'm sure JB would have already posted a response. Hey I know what, if the crime is so bad there start a watch program, get the names and turn them in, or you can just sit back and do nothing like most folks.

Offline Chas

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2009, 04:13:31 PM »
Given the posts that others have made about some of the responses made to their calls I will give pinkytus the benefit of doubt until JB weighs in on this.

Offline Valor7

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2009, 04:18:15 PM »
The ONLY deputy on duty was busy when this call came in and it did take 42 minutes before he was in the area. He did grab 2 St. Robert officers to back him up and they did canvass the area. He did phone trying to get more details.

I am not happy about the speed of the response in this case nor am I happy about the LONE deputy on duty having 550 square miles to cover and 52,000 people to protect.

JB

Offline igahmah at work

• Global Moderator
  • Some pursue happiness, others create it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2009, 04:41:20 PM »
Didn't they used to have  "volunteer" officers in the Sheriff's department.  Not volunteers, what were they called? (man I hate old age)  I thought they had some unpaid staff at one time.  Whatever the reason for not responding it is not a good one.  As I said before, IF someone had been hurt, what would the excuse be then, and only having one person who could answer the call who was busy doing something else, is not an excuse.  RESERVE OFFICERS I think that is what they were called.  Were they paid or on volunteer status?
I think people leaving the department is not a good excuse either.  Hire somebody else.  In case you haven't heard the unemployment rate is 10%.  If it was my house, and I called for police protection, I would be p....... if nobody showed up for almost an hour.  No excuses.

In cases like this when the officer was "busy" there should be a plan in effect that they would immediately call SR or Waynesville or HP to go assist the person calling.  If you can wait till you are going then have them help you, you should be able to say, "look, we are swamped down here and this person needs help NOW." 

I have to say the SR police are always right there when called in our neighborhood and they have been called quite a bit.  They have never said "oh well that is a bad area so we will take our time."
When I was young, I wanted to be older.  This is not what I expected!

Offline dixonbob

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2009, 04:51:12 PM »
I find this response time confusing. I can fart and have 2 PCSD and 2 MHP slide in my yard in minutes.And this woman claims shots fired at her home and no response for 42 minutes cause the only officer was busy. Busy as in- More critical than shots fired at a home? All I can say is dont depend on the PCSD for help. Arm your selfs and take action if needed. OH WAIT!!! If you have a loaded gun in your home and kick back and have a beer YOU GO TO JAIL!!!!!!!1 Id have to say never call the PCSD . When you have a problem and call them you have 2 problems. Thats a sad way to think but its true. Our Sherrifs Dept is pitiful and will be till more growth and tax revenues can generate more cash.
FOUND the ignore button. Ha Ha

Offline qqqq

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2009, 04:56:54 PM »
They can't hire someone if they don't have the money and there is no way that I would expect someone to risk their lives while they aren't getting paid.

Offline igahmah at work

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2009, 05:08:14 PM »
Volunteer Firefighters do it all the time.

Offline qqqq

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2009, 05:11:22 PM »
I understand that there are people that do it,  but I don't think that it should be something that is expected.  I think we take for granted that there are people who are willing to risk their lives for someone they don't know, but what about their families?  How is that fair? 

Offline I have no username

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2009, 05:14:17 PM »
Take cover, leave, arm yourself.  Not sure where you live, but sometimes you should be "ready" to protect yourself.  Dont start the trouble and be darned sure of what you are doing because there may be consequences to your actions.  Even if there were 100 officers on duty in your general area, the response time will never be good enough for the guy that has already kicked your door in and approaching you with a weapon. 

But never, never, ever go out searching for the bad guy yourself...not your job.  If you are able to get description thats fine, but dont place yourself in danger.  I have read where people have a crime outside their home, get the shotgun and find the guy...guy decides to start shooting, forcing good gut to shoot back...legally this gets to be a real gray area that I wouldnt want to be involved in and if I were on the jury would be considering it vigilante justice which is not justified even though it makes you feel better etc.
Μολὼν λαβέ

If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom.
Dwight D. Eisenhower

Offline igahmah at work

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2009, 05:31:23 PM »
Can someone answer the question about the Reserve Officers.  Who were they and were they paid?

Offline Just_a_Biker

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2009, 06:33:53 PM »
Can someone answer the question about the Reserve Officers.  Who were they and were they paid?

Reserve Deputies have a commission with the PCSD, but generally have other jobs.  Requirements have changed over the years, and JB would be able to say (or not) what HIS requirements are as Sheriff.  There used to be a very large number of Reserve Deputies that worked shifts or special assignments, and their time is free as they are volunteering.  I know there are some on here that either are, or have been Reserve Deputies, and they, or JB, would be able to explain the dynamic much better than I could.
The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. Cicero - 55 BC, Rome

Offline igahmah at work

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2009, 06:40:58 PM »
So there is help available.  Maybe he should train some more reserve deputies.  If only to answer the phone in the jail and be manpower in the jail to release the other deputies to do their job elsewhere so people don't have to wait an hour for a response to "shots being fired."

Offline dixonbob

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2009, 06:45:14 PM »
Take cover, leave, arm yourself.  Not sure where you live, but sometimes you should be "ready" to protect yourself.  Dont start the trouble and be darned sure of what you are doing because there may be consequences to your actions.  Even if there were 100 officers on duty in your general area, the response time will never be good enough for the guy that has already kicked your door in and approaching you with a weapon. 

But never, never, ever go out searching for the bad guy yourself...not your job.  If you are able to get description thats fine, but dont place yourself in danger.  I have read where people have a crime outside their home, get the shotgun and find the guy...guy decides to start shooting, forcing good gut to shoot back...legally this gets to be a real gray area that I wouldnt want to be involved in and if I were on the jury would be considering it vigilante justice which is not justified even though it makes you feel better etc.

Put me on a jury and its a no brainer. Homeowners gonna win EVERY TIME. Call me a vigilate or whatever but Im NOT gonna get ripped off or beat up
FOUND the ignore button. Ha Ha

Offline I have no username

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2009, 06:55:05 PM »
Just want to let everyone know it isnt as cut and dry as homeowner wins always.  I would most likely err on the home owner's side too, but not everyone will. 

Just think smart and if you can avoid getting yourself shot, that is the best recourse alltogether.

Μολὼν λαβέ

If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom.
Dwight D. Eisenhower

Offline Seeg

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2009, 06:57:29 PM »
Put me on a jury and its a no brainer.

They'll never let you on THAT side of a jury box, Bob! 

j/k
"I love my country... it's just the government I fear!"

Offline demo.dave

• Im a veteran of the unspeakable.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2009, 06:59:07 PM »
So there is help available.  Maybe he should train some more reserve deputies.  If only to answer the phone in the jail and be manpower in the jail to release the other deputies to do their job elsewhere so people don't have to wait an hour for a response to "shots being fired."

He dont get to walk around the streets choosing who he wants to reserve. They have to be POST certified and come ask him to reserve. Then they only have to work a few hours a month. He cant just put them on a 40 hour a week schedule when he feels like it.

Do you guys really think JB likes getting on here and seeing this? Do you all not stop to think that he is doing what HE can do? If you can get on this board and complain...then you can read over the past few years at how much he is trying to get help. Its not like he gets on here when there is a complaint and blows up and calls the OP names.

If you live in county and the PCSD is busy, be smart and call the Highway Patrol. They are there for a reason. People just want anything to complain about and dont wanna think. I could understand being upset at first, but if you kept tryin for an hour without trying another agency, then some fault lies on you for not finding an alternate route. Nobody said life was either easy or perfect. Sometimes you gotta think for yourself and not depend on everyone else for everything.

Offline igahmah at work

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2009, 07:08:14 PM »
I think everybody on here realizes JB reads the posts on here.  That is why we post what we are thinking so he will know.  Sometimes we agree with what he does sometimes we don't.  Not trying to make him feel bad, just posting our feelings.  I'm sure his skin is thick enough to take it.  I love JB, voted for him the last time and would vote for him again.  Just saying I would be really mad if I called for police protection and nobody showed up.  How many times have you read on here where someone inadvertently called SRP or Waynesville police only to be told they are not in their jurisdiction.  I had no idea you could call the highway patrol.  This is good information to have.  Now if I call them and they say, that is not our jurisdiction, you will be the first to know.

Offline Seeg

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2009, 07:10:43 PM »

If you live in county and the PCSD is busy, be smart and call the Highway Patrol.

And then call the Commish's....  Maybe they'd like to get an early morning wake-up call.
"I love my country... it's just the government I fear!"

Offline igahmah at work

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2009, 07:13:35 PM »
Yeah, like they don't have caller ID and would answer a call from me.