Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • littlebit: Makes sense.
    July 16, 2017, 04:40:28 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Boards will stay open for a place people can find history information longer. I am not allowing anyone to sign up for now because of so many foreginers just wanting to promote their business..
    December 10, 2016, 05:10:27 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Not sure why didn't look, I may be shutting down these message boards..
    November 17, 2016, 12:42:43 AM
  • ~kathy~: rick why is the timestamp showing up a day in advance?
    September 13, 2016, 12:27:46 AM
  • Valor7: What I tried to say is that the actual money would not be there that quick. But a loan against that would work if they are willing to do that.
    August 08, 2016, 01:51:51 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Why so long before it comes online? 911 took out a loan or bond with the known guarantee payment and began building..
    August 08, 2016, 07:46:34 AM
  • Valor7: Actually no it is not, a dependable Revenue stream will not come on line until the 4th quarter of 2017 so 2018 budget will be up in the air, not quite sure what they will have. By 2019 budget all will be well.
    August 04, 2016, 09:27:17 PM
  • Valor7: You mean that tax that the Commissioners would not put on the ballot for so many years? Strange things happened when the citizens got a chance to vote on that issue.
    August 03, 2016, 06:43:06 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Back up is now available withe the new tax..
    August 03, 2016, 05:01:35 PM
  • Valor7: Thanks a lot Ladies!!
    July 29, 2016, 01:16:13 PM
  • littlebit: ((*(*&
    July 27, 2016, 03:47:52 PM
  • ~kathy~: lol
    July 15, 2016, 09:34:56 AM
  • Valor7: A guy could get killed around here while waiting for backup!
    July 13, 2016, 07:31:58 PM
  • Lepard LLC: You are not alone..
    July 13, 2016, 07:28:53 PM
  • Valor7: I just hate it when I talk to myself!!!!
    July 08, 2016, 12:54:09 PM
  • Valor7: I could have worded that better, we talked details, options, the pros and cons of each, in  order to arrive at the best ballot language to present to the voters. Hope that makes this clearer.
    April 15, 2016, 06:36:14 PM
  • Valor7: sorry about the typos still working with just one arm in action
    April 13, 2016, 01:10:42 PM
  • Valor7: Yes and no. We talked details and options until we were blue in the face but I never heardbring it over, it was always the time was not right for the issue to pass. Glad to see the time in now right and I for one shall vote yes on the ballot. I would urge all others to do the sameour county is busting at the seams crimewise and no matter how many bad guys we send off there always seems to someone to replace them. The Sheriff's Office needs the help.
    April 13, 2016, 01:08:35 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Is that true Valor? Did he ask you what you wanted?
    March 01, 2016, 04:55:37 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Gene Newkirk Rick I have waited for a Sheriff to bring it to me on what he wanted. I have pushed Mr long for a while to get it to me. He told me he was close to having or done. Now hopefully the people will get to decide on it. I spoke with Steve about this a few times.
    March 01, 2016, 04:54:54 AM
  • Kimberly: Wow- I have a new name..........
    February 23, 2016, 10:25:15 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Works on mine, improvements are being done here. I may kick back into her a lot and post but working on different technologies right now. Seeing how things interact.
    January 18, 2016, 09:01:20 AM
  • Valor7: Yes it is working. If you need a laugh the wife showed me how to correctly use the silly thing.
    January 04, 2016, 05:32:59 PM
  • Valor7: Think so, mine is trying to work but it is now user and password protected and I dont know mine
    December 17, 2015, 01:32:16 PM
  • "DJ": Is there still a working android app for the PCSD
    December 14, 2015, 08:14:53 PM

Author Topic: Important vote in April! SAVE OUR FIREFIGHTERS!  (Read 12735 times)

Offline Lepard LLC

• Activist
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Important vote in April! SAVE OUR FIREFIGHTERS!
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2010, 01:02:40 AM »

Share/Bookmark

Offline HCC

• Wise men argue cases, fools decide them.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2010, 01:19:02 AM »
I was witness to a deep discussion that involved about 17 other people today, and the matter of this ballot issue got rather intense. So I would ask Mr.Public to clarify the main topic of that discussion.

First, who EXACTLY will be able to vote for this ballot issue within the WRFD?

Secondly, who EXACTLY will not be able to vote for the ballot issue within the WRFD and why?

Finally, will any residents living within the Waynesville and St. Robert city limits be prevented from voting on the ballot issue, and if they are excluded from voting will they still have to pay the tax assessment if it passes.

Just as a sidebar query, how heavily does the ISO inspection weigh on availability of adequate fire hydrants for fire protection? It seems that meerly having enough equipment and manpower will not be sufficient to get a lower rating. My understanding from my insurance agent is that I only get the discounted rates for a lower ISO rating if the my insurance agent chooses to recognize the ISO rating at all? Does the adoption and enforcement of NFPA codes and standards increase the likelyhood of a lower ISO rating?

Offline Lepard LLC

• Activist
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2010, 01:34:30 AM »
Personally I am not against this tax, I am concerned it falls on the back of people on fixed incomes.  I'd rather see it be a sales tax so all have to pay, not just property owners or people like me who pay property taxes on several properties. I also know you have tried that route and failed.. One good campain would have been the best route, all these campains that have failed can hurt this one.. I was personally shocked how little support you had when very few voters went to the polls, it seemed to me you didn't even gather your friends and family to vote that day. Therein lies the reason I assumed this too will fail..

Offline darrellmaurina

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2010, 02:11:26 AM »
Well, this is what the internet is for... to be able to have serious discussions about things that matter to a lot of people.

Since the local firefighters have been running their rear ends off for the last few days with fires, many of which were caused by idiots who don't know what a burn ban means, I can answer some of the questions since they're busy fighting fires. The details will have to be left to the firefighters, however.

I happen to be a Waynesville city resident and can't vote on this. The Waynesville Rural Fire Protection District does not include the city of Waynesville, just like the Crocker district doesn't include the city of Crocker, the Tri-County district doesn't include the city of Richland, and the Dixon district doesn't include the city of Dixon. Those cities have the right to maintain their own fire departments, just like St. Robert still does. What Waynesville's councilmen decided to do is contract with the fire district for services.

It's not that Waynesville residents are somehow being barred from voting. It's that Waynesville residents voted for a city council which years ago decided to disband their own fire department and contract with the fire district.

Someone with more knowledge of state law than me will have to answer whether it is even possible for the city of Waynesville to have its residents join the fire district and stop contracting with the fire district for fire protection. However, that's not the fire district's fault; if someone in the city of Waynesville wants to vote on this, they either need to get the city council to pass an ordinance or get the state legislature to pass a law allowing such an ordinace.
Darrell Todd Maurina
Check out the Pulaski County Daily News online newspaper at
http://www.pulaskicountyweb.com
Cell: (573) 433.6733 * FAX: (573) 774-2349
Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/darrellmaurina/
Follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/darrellmaurina/

Offline Probie

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2010, 04:28:56 AM »
It does suck that the only fire department in the county that can survive off of sales tax is st.Robert. A lot of times these taxes are soley passed by renters or those who are not affected by the increase. 

Offline freethinker

• My boston - emerSIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2010, 01:18:44 PM »
[As it stands now the tax pays the district 21 cents per every 100 dollars of assessed property value.  The new proposal will raise that amount by 25 cents to 46 cents per every 100 dollars of assessed value.  First, let’s look at how much you would actually have to pay under the new tax plan.  Say you have an assessed property value of 150,000 dollars.  Under the new tax you will only need to pay 71.25 dollars annually.  This is only a small increase from the current system. 

21 cents per 100 dollars of $150,000 = $315

46 cents per 100 dollars of $150,000 = $690

assuming your property value totals $150,000, thats an increase of $375.  which is 5.26 times more than the $71.25 increase claimed in that quote.....
clearly, this is not a "small amount" when compared to the current tax: going from 21 cents to 46 cents is an increase of roughly 119%.

I have absolutely no issues with the city trying to raise more money for the fire department. it's definately something we need.

Based on the numbers you provided, I have to assume that you: 1) are purposely misleading others to get votes, or 2) should start relying on a calculator..   

Either way, I don't approve of people trying to sway the opinions of others and presenting them faulty data....   

Offline littlebit

• Cunning Linguist
  • Home is what you make it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2010, 02:12:13 PM »

21 cents per 100 dollars of $150,000 = $315

46 cents per 100 dollars of $150,000 = $690

assuming your property value totals $150,000, thats an anual increase of $375.  which is 5.26 times more than the $71.25 increase claimed in that quote.....
clearly, this is not a "small amount" when compared to the current tax: going from 21 cents to 46 cents is an increase of roughly 119%.

I have absolutely no issues with the city trying to raise more money for the fire department. it's definately something we need.

Based on the numbers you provided, I have to assume that you: 1) are purposely misleading others to get votes, or 2) should start relying on a calculator..   

Either way, I don't approve of people trying to sway the opinions of others and presenting them faulty data....   

That's a big chunk of change boys and girls....
Some people are like Slinkies... Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

I'd give my left arm to be ambidextrous...

“The truth is, everyone is going to end up hurting you. You just have to find the ones who are worth suffering for.”

Offline darrellmaurina

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2010, 03:54:42 PM »
Important clarification: Property taxes are based on only a small percentage of the appraised value. I don't want to cite the numbers here from memory, and they differ based on whether the property is commercial, residential, agricultural, or other categories, but they are dramatically lower than the numbers being cited.
Darrell Todd Maurina

Offline Lepard LLC

• Activist
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2010, 05:19:02 PM »
This is correct.

I am really sorry to not have been as clear and concise with the answers that are needed here.  i am new to the whole thing and i have gotten a bit of information that should put some of the worries at ease. 

This is how it will work.  The appraisal value of your property and the assessed value of your property are not the same.  You take the appraised property value.  Lets say it is a $150,000 appraisal.  The tax increase will only be applied to 19% of the appraised valueOn a $150,000 appraisal, only $28,500 of that is eligable for taxation, which is the assessed value.  With the tax increase the total amount paid by the property owner with a $150,000 appraisal will be $131.10 annually.  That new number is including the $71.50 that is generated by the new tax.

I apologize for getting everyone worked up over what seemed to be a large increase and a high tax.  What we go off of is the assessed value of the property, not the appraised.  The assessed value is 19% of the appraised value of a property.  That 19% is the only amount that draws the tax for the fire district.  It is my fault for not giving all the information that was needed to help people make this decision.  I hope that this answered some questions and help ease some concerns.

Offline littlebit

• Cunning Linguist
  • Home is what you make it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 03, 2010, 05:34:48 PM »
I am really sorry to not have been as clear and concise with the answers that are needed here.  i am new to the whole thing and i have gotten a bit of information that should put some of the worries at ease. 

This is how it will work.  The appraisal value of your property and the assessed value of your property are not the same.  You take the appraised property value.  Lets say it is a $150,000 appraisal.  The tax increase will only be applied to 19% of the appraised valueOn a $150,000 appraisal, only $28,500 of that is eligable for taxation, which is the assessed value.  With the tax increase the total amount paid by the property owner with a $150,000 appraisal will be $131.10 annually.  That new number is including the $71.50 that is generated by the new tax.

I apologize for getting everyone worked up over what seemed to be a large increase and a high tax.  What we go off of is the assessed value of the property, not the appraised.  The assessed value is 19% of the appraised value of a property.  That 19% is the only amount that draws the tax for the fire district.  It is my fault for not giving all the information that was needed to help people make this decision.  I hope that this answered some questions and help ease some concerns.

Thanks for the clarification.
Some people are like Slinkies... Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

I'd give my left arm to be ambidextrous...

“The truth is, everyone is going to end up hurting you. You just have to find the ones who are worth suffering for.”

Offline cowboy

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 03, 2010, 07:01:05 PM »
bookmark

Offline jd65457

• Lurker
  • Go to your profile and put something here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 04, 2010, 04:15:19 AM »
Another thing that still seems to bother me, Exactly how many of your F.T staff will this staff actually affect, Heck how about your volunteer staff too.. I just hate that fact that you all want this so dearly but it won't cost you a dime...

Offline I bleed cubbie blue

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 15, 2011, 03:41:54 PM »
Did this pass?

Offline darrellmaurina

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 16, 2011, 07:37:05 PM »
Did this pass?

Yes. Here's my article on it...

April 2010 Waynesville election results
WAYNESVILLE, Mo. (April 7, 2010) — All city races in Waynesville were uncontested, but for the Waynesville R-VI School Board, incumbent Lori Laughlin won re-election with 583 votes and will be joined by Dorsey Newcomb who gained 522 votes. Area banker Nathan Purdome trailed with 407 votes and area pastor Marcus Davis received 254 votes. The Waynesville Rural Fire Protection District also succeeded in passing a tax levy that will allow the district to retain its full-time firefighters and build additional stations in outlying areas, as well as pay for additional firefighter training. The vote passed by a margin of 373 to 310, having previously failed on three earlier votes. Click here to read more on Pulaski County Daily News ...
By Darrell Todd Maurina
Darrell Todd Maurina