Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • littlebit: Makes sense.
    July 16, 2017, 04:40:28 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Boards will stay open for a place people can find history information longer. I am not allowing anyone to sign up for now because of so many foreginers just wanting to promote their business..
    December 10, 2016, 05:10:27 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Not sure why didn't look, I may be shutting down these message boards..
    November 17, 2016, 12:42:43 AM
  • ~kathy~: rick why is the timestamp showing up a day in advance?
    September 13, 2016, 12:27:46 AM
  • Valor7: What I tried to say is that the actual money would not be there that quick. But a loan against that would work if they are willing to do that.
    August 08, 2016, 01:51:51 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Why so long before it comes online? 911 took out a loan or bond with the known guarantee payment and began building..
    August 08, 2016, 07:46:34 AM
  • Valor7: Actually no it is not, a dependable Revenue stream will not come on line until the 4th quarter of 2017 so 2018 budget will be up in the air, not quite sure what they will have. By 2019 budget all will be well.
    August 04, 2016, 09:27:17 PM
  • Valor7: You mean that tax that the Commissioners would not put on the ballot for so many years? Strange things happened when the citizens got a chance to vote on that issue.
    August 03, 2016, 06:43:06 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Back up is now available withe the new tax..
    August 03, 2016, 05:01:35 PM
  • Valor7: Thanks a lot Ladies!!
    July 29, 2016, 01:16:13 PM
  • littlebit: ((*(*&
    July 27, 2016, 03:47:52 PM
  • ~kathy~: lol
    July 15, 2016, 09:34:56 AM
  • Valor7: A guy could get killed around here while waiting for backup!
    July 13, 2016, 07:31:58 PM
  • Lepard LLC: You are not alone..
    July 13, 2016, 07:28:53 PM
  • Valor7: I just hate it when I talk to myself!!!!
    July 08, 2016, 12:54:09 PM
  • Valor7: I could have worded that better, we talked details, options, the pros and cons of each, in  order to arrive at the best ballot language to present to the voters. Hope that makes this clearer.
    April 15, 2016, 06:36:14 PM
  • Valor7: sorry about the typos still working with just one arm in action
    April 13, 2016, 01:10:42 PM
  • Valor7: Yes and no. We talked details and options until we were blue in the face but I never heardbring it over, it was always the time was not right for the issue to pass. Glad to see the time in now right and I for one shall vote yes on the ballot. I would urge all others to do the sameour county is busting at the seams crimewise and no matter how many bad guys we send off there always seems to someone to replace them. The Sheriff's Office needs the help.
    April 13, 2016, 01:08:35 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Is that true Valor? Did he ask you what you wanted?
    March 01, 2016, 04:55:37 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Gene Newkirk Rick I have waited for a Sheriff to bring it to me on what he wanted. I have pushed Mr long for a while to get it to me. He told me he was close to having or done. Now hopefully the people will get to decide on it. I spoke with Steve about this a few times.
    March 01, 2016, 04:54:54 AM
  • Kimberly: Wow- I have a new name..........
    February 23, 2016, 10:25:15 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Works on mine, improvements are being done here. I may kick back into her a lot and post but working on different technologies right now. Seeing how things interact.
    January 18, 2016, 09:01:20 AM
  • Valor7: Yes it is working. If you need a laugh the wife showed me how to correctly use the silly thing.
    January 04, 2016, 05:32:59 PM
  • Valor7: Think so, mine is trying to work but it is now user and password protected and I dont know mine
    December 17, 2015, 01:32:16 PM
  • "DJ": Is there still a working android app for the PCSD
    December 14, 2015, 08:14:53 PM

Author Topic: The two lives of Todd Johnson  (Read 15684 times)

Offline ♥♣ ~Maynard~♣♥

• GOING GREEN: Save a tree,eat a beaver.
    • View Profile
The two lives of Todd Johnson
« on: January 28, 2010, 01:42:35 AM »

Share/Bookmark

Fort Wood Hotel

Boards

Devils Elbow

Attractions

Sports

St. Robert

Waynesville

PC Daily

Dixon

Menu Guide

Fun Links

Homework

Crocker

Fort Wood

Swedeborg

Big Piney

Laquey

Classifieds

Restaurants

Richland

Fort  Hotels

The two lives of Todd Johnson
LDR Staff
Jan 27, 2010
By some accounts, Todd Johnson was a devoted family man and a successful member of the local business community, but he had a side many people who knew him never could have imagined.

His violent side landed him in the Kansas Department of Corrections as a young man for about five years after he pleaded guilty to several felony charges, including aggravated battery and robbery.

Waves of shock and disbelief continue to cascade across the area after Friday’s discovery of the bodies of Todd Johnson’s wife, Sheila Johnson, 40, and the couple’s 10-year-old son, Blake.

Questions remain as to why or how Todd Johnson, a well-liked businessman who coached his two young sons in sports and was often seen playing in the yard with his children, could have committed such a crime. He was simply a “nice guy,” according to many people.

Todd Johnson was found dead on Friday after apparently shooting himself and plunging his SUV into a quarry on Ginger Road, taking the answers to those questions into the green waters with him.

The Johnson family moved to the Lebanon area about a decade ago, and Todd Johnson was a regional supervisor for several area Sonic restaurants. His online obituary at
www.butlerfuneralhome.com states that “the final hours of Todd’s life were completely inconsistent with his years on this earth ...”

Could Todd Johnson’s “nice guy” image have been a front to a volcano about to explode, or did something push him back into a frame of mind that was long ago buried?

At about age 18, Todd Johnson was a part of a gang of young men who were at the center of a crime wave in Kansas in 1985.

Todd Johnson was from Spring Hill, a tiny but fast-growing town directly south of Olathe, about a half-hour drive from downtown Kansas City.

He and his brother, Brent Johnson, were considered “dirtbags” by law enforcement in and around Olathe, according to one LDR source. The crime spree perpetrated by their gang of seven men, ages 17 to 20, in 1985 included successfully robbing a Thriftway grocery store, a public golf course in Olathe and a savings and loan.

Brent Johnson was considered the ringleader, and his brother, Todd, was his right-hand man. The brothers and their followers didn’t limit their crimes to simply stealing. During one robbery, a security guard was shot, and another time a man was beaten in the head with a baseball bat. It is unclear at this point who pulled the trigger in the robbery, or who struck the man with the baseball bat.

The gang’s downfall came during its second attempt to rob a Wells Fargo armored car on June 27, 1985.

According to Johnson County, Kan., court documents obtained by The Daily Record, during the June 27 heist, Todd Johnson was armed with a handgun, then later pulled a 12-gauge shotgun on a Johnson County Sheriff’s Department deputy who was attempting to apprehend him and the other suspects, resulting in a charge of aggravated assault on a law-enforcement officer.

One 19-year-old suspect committed suicide a few weeks after being charged with the crime. The rest of the gang pleaded guilty to the charges, and the judge threw out the plea agreement and threw the book at them.

According to an account of the sentencing of the Johnson brothers and follow defendant Jeffrey Huffman in the Olathe Daily News from 1986, District Judge Earle Jones called the crimes “quite vicious” and ignored the district attorney’s office recommendation of a minimum five-year sentence.

Todd Johnson was sentenced to 14 to 50 years on a slew of charges of aggravated robbery and aggravated battery. Johnson also was ordered to pay about $27,000 in restitution. He served five years, regaining his freedom in April 1991.

Brent Johnson was sentenced to 19 to 70 years in prison and was ordered to pay $32,400 in restitution.

Brent Johnson was released in 1993 from the Kansas Department of Corrections, and transferred his parole to Missouri. He was released from parole in 1995.

Since Todd Johnson’s release, it appears he has steered clear of the law. The Daily Record could locate no other criminal records for Todd Johnson.

The Daily Record attempted to contact the Sonic corporate headquarters to inquire if a background check had been conducted on Todd Johnson prior to his employment. The call went unreturned. Brent Johnson also is an area Sonic executive.

A former Sonic employee who wished to remain anonymous, told The Daily Record that there was no background check or drug test performed at his initial hiring, nor were there any checks once the employee moved into a management position.

The Olatha (Kan.) Daily News contributed to this story.

http://lebanondailyrecord.com/publish/article_11154.shtml
Click on link for more

Remember I'm a nudist so when you respond to one of my post yor talking to a naked man  :)

For entertainment purposes only. Any resemblance to real persons living or dead is purely coincidental.

Offline blissfullybusy

• View Profile
Re: The two lives of Todd Johnson
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2010, 04:18:03 AM »
Maybe I'm becoming soft but this happened in 1985... people CHANGE and he was a teenager and teenagers are notoriously brain damaged.  If we are going to keep a scarlet letter on anyone who has ever been to prison, we might as well execute them all for any crime.  He did one VERY dumb thing when he was a teenager, he paid the price.  that doesn't mean he's a murderer now. I'm sorry there was no "double life"  GEEZE. 

I'm sorry this story just doesn't make sense and I think they are trying to make it seem as something it's not. 
Women are Angels

And when someone breaks our wings....

We simply continue to fly.........on a broomstick...

Because we are flexible like that

Offline Chas

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2010, 07:10:45 AM »
I agree there is no double life or at least what I would consider a double life. However it does show that in a past life he was capable of violent acts. He did more than one dumb thing. Maybe something happened to cause him to revert. I doubt we will ever know since they are ruling it murder/suicide. I don’t even care why he did it, (if he did it) just that if he did it at least he killed himself.  I know that sounds harsh but if you are not family or friend what difference does it make to anyone who doesn’t know these people. Other than the fact that it is sad and I feel sorry for those affected.

Offline igahmah at work

• Global Moderator
  • Some pursue happiness, others create it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2010, 03:27:44 PM »
This article does not prove a double life to me.  It shows he had a past, period. Who doesn't? Shoot, if I was still being judged for what I did  in 1985 they probably woudn't let me walk in the church door let alone be the secretary.  People change!
When I was young, I wanted to be older.  This is not what I expected!

Offline kari

• Always looking in.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2010, 04:34:41 PM »
I have to agree.... He HAD a past, and according to our laws, he paid for those transgressions.  People can and do change.  Yes, it does show that he was capable of violence, but many people without criminal records have that same capability.  I'm sure the victims, from the previous situations, feel very different, and may well be suffering long time, if not life time, effects.  The fact is, until the most recent incident (unless evidence to the contrary surfaces), Todd did not continue a path of violence.

Now, if there is evidence that the Police had previously been called to the Johnson residence, due to domestic violence, or had there been other complaints of threats/violence, a recent girlfriend/boyfriend (infidelity), drug involvement, then yes, I'd agree with "the two lives".  All I could find evidence of, financial problems, and most everyone has that (especially in today's economic situation).

I'm having a difficult time with the manner of death of the family members.  Beating is a sign of rage.  What was the rage over?  I can not believe the rage was over finances, UNLESS, the wife was the cause of the financial difficulties, or fear of financial loss due to divorce.  Could the rage be from the "witness" not following through with what is believed to have been the original plan (robbery, then turned murder for hire)?  Maybe fear of the witness talking about the plan?  Just a very strange, and horribly sad situation.

Proud to have served, US Army, WAC

Offline Coyote

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2010, 04:38:55 PM »
This story is pure drama and I think was put out there by the Sheriff to help him to "save face" by making Mr. Johnson out to be some sort of criminal who was just simmering before he went mad.  This is conjecture and makes me sick.
....and that night as the moon crossed the mountain, one more Coyote was heard...

Offline kari

• Always looking in.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2010, 04:45:22 PM »
This story is pure drama and I think was put out there by the Sheriff to help him to "save face" by making Mr. Johnson out to be some sort of criminal who was just simmering before he went mad.  This is conjecture and makes me sick.
Coyote.... I do believe this story actually came out from investigative reporting.  The Sheriff was not the first to release it.

Offline Coyote

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2010, 05:50:26 PM »
"Could Todd Johnson’s “nice guy” image have been a front to a volcano about to explode, or did something push him back into a frame of mind that was long ago buried? "

Drama and speculation.  BTW, Don't investigative reporters sign their name and take credit for their stories? 
....and that night as the moon crossed the mountain, one more Coyote was heard...

Offline kari

• Always looking in.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2010, 06:47:43 PM »
Yes, they do, and the investigative reporter who first brought this to light, did.

Offline Coyote

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2010, 07:05:51 PM »
Maybe I'm just getting old, but I don't see a name on that story...only LDR Staff.

Offline kari

• Always looking in.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2010, 07:09:15 PM »
Maybe I'm just getting old, but I don't see a name on that story...only LDR Staff.
PMing you Coyote....

Offline kari

• Always looking in.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2010, 07:35:40 PM »
I do want to add one thing.... I honestly believe MOST people can change, or be rehabilitated.  I do not, will not believe a pedophile can ever be rehabilitated.

Offline Coyote

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2010, 08:04:16 PM »
I personally don't consider "Blogs" as official news.  I, for one, will not be convinced that Mr. Johnson killed his family and himself until I am satisfied that the crime has been thoroughly and completely investigated by competent authority.  There was a murder in Carthage, MO, a husband and wife in their early 70's who were absolutely, viciously slaughtered in their home.  They were found by their son, who went to check on them when they didn't show up for church.  The first thing out of law enforcement's mouth was that based on what he could tell, they must have been killed by a family member or someone close to them or it was a hate crime.  After nearly a year of putting up with a half-a$$d investigation, the kids contacted a private investigator.  In less than 2 weeks, he had the killers.  They had broke into their place to steal guns and got caught...so they brutally murdered the couple and their dog.  Didn't even know them.

Offline kari

• Always looking in.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2010, 08:22:21 PM »
This story is pure drama and I think was put out there by the Sheriff to help him to "save face" by making Mr. Johnson out to be some sort of criminal who was just simmering before he went mad.
Many "blogs" are from those who report news, professionals, not laypersons.  What I directed you to was the report of Todd's background coming to light, not from the Sheriff, by from another source.

Offline rrnkc

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2010, 09:45:50 PM »
Everyone who knew Todd Johnson on any personal level (family freinds & work) knew all of this already. We knew from almost the day we met him, it wasn't his deep dark secret. It was his stupid past and he owned it and got past it to becaome an amazing memeber of society and our lives. We know the man he became after paying for his stupid teenage years. Mistakes I made that long ago cant hardly begin to expalin who I am today.

Offline ladybulldog

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2010, 01:01:07 AM »
Perhaps his past finally caught up with him......

Offline rrnkc

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2010, 02:46:15 AM »
It shouldn't be this way! I cry everyday because it just don't make any sense! The man (as I know him) isn't capable of this.

Offline kari

• Always looking in.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2010, 03:26:48 AM »
This crime has caused grief for so many people, it truly is sad.  rrnkc, for your sake, and the sake of so many others, who had faith in this man, I really do hope some news comes, that can ease your hearts.

Offline pctiger_wife

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2010, 06:56:25 AM »
To everyone who knew him and is truly horrified by this, I'm sorry it happened.  I'm with Kari, I hope they find out something that proves that he didn't do it.  But, you can't always go by how a person "seems nice."  John Wayne Gacy was a bday party clown, a chef, and a politician who was photographed with First Lady Carter. He seemed like a nice guy, and was later convicted of killing 33 people. Ted Bundy worked at a suicide prevention hotline, managed an office of Rockefeller's presidential campaign, and even graduated from college with a degree in psychology. It was later proven he killed 23 people. More were suspected. So don't always rely on whether or not a person seems nice.  Truthfully, everyone has the potential to snap, not everyone does it though.

Offline ♥♣ ~Maynard~♣♥

• GOING GREEN: Save a tree,eat a beaver.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2010, 07:37:18 AM »
To everyone who knew him and is truly horrified by this, I'm sorry it happened.  I'm with Kari, I hope they find out something that proves that he didn't do it.  But, you can't always go by how a person "seems nice."  John Wayne Gacy was a bday party clown, a chef, and a politician who was photographed with First Lady Carter. He seemed like a nice guy, and was later convicted of killing 33 people. Ted Bundy worked at a suicide prevention hotline, managed an office of Rockefeller's presidential campaign, and even graduated from college with a degree in psychology. It was later proven he killed 23 people. More were suspected. So don't always rely on whether or not a person seems nice.  Truthfully, everyone has the potential to snap, not everyone does it though.
What bothers me more about this than anything is
That the sheriff has decided that Mr. Johnson has done this crime because a most Un-realiable so called witness who has changed his story.......how many times said he did it.
I haven't seen the news sources use the word
Allegedly once In any story that i have read.
From the very start this story has had so many holes in it I thought it was cheese %%$%$$#
An allegation (also called adduction) is a claim of a fact by a party in a pleading, which the party claims to be able to prove. Allegations remain assertions without proof, until they can be proved
JMHO!!
Remember I'm a nudist so when you respond to one of my post yor talking to a naked man  :)

For entertainment purposes only. Any resemblance to real persons living or dead is purely coincidental.

Offline pctiger_wife

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2010, 01:22:59 PM »
What bothers me more about this than anything is
That the sheriff has decided that Mr. Johnson has done this crime because a most Un-realiable so called witness who has changed his story.......how many times said he did it.
I haven't seen the news sources use the word
Allegedly once In any story that i have read.
From the very start this story has had so many holes in it I thought it was cheese %%$%$$#
An allegation (also called adduction) is a claim of a fact by a party in a pleading, which the party claims to be able to prove. Allegations remain assertions without proof, until they can be proved
JMHO!!

Oh I agree with you 100%.  The case does sound fishy.  I just say don't say someone "seems nice."  Cause the people that seem nice aren't always nice.  But yes, the case does have huge holes in it.