Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • littlebit: Makes sense.
    July 16, 2017, 04:40:28 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Boards will stay open for a place people can find history information longer. I am not allowing anyone to sign up for now because of so many foreginers just wanting to promote their business..
    December 10, 2016, 05:10:27 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Not sure why didn't look, I may be shutting down these message boards..
    November 17, 2016, 12:42:43 AM
  • ~kathy~: rick why is the timestamp showing up a day in advance?
    September 13, 2016, 12:27:46 AM
  • Valor7: What I tried to say is that the actual money would not be there that quick. But a loan against that would work if they are willing to do that.
    August 08, 2016, 01:51:51 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Why so long before it comes online? 911 took out a loan or bond with the known guarantee payment and began building..
    August 08, 2016, 07:46:34 AM
  • Valor7: Actually no it is not, a dependable Revenue stream will not come on line until the 4th quarter of 2017 so 2018 budget will be up in the air, not quite sure what they will have. By 2019 budget all will be well.
    August 04, 2016, 09:27:17 PM
  • Valor7: You mean that tax that the Commissioners would not put on the ballot for so many years? Strange things happened when the citizens got a chance to vote on that issue.
    August 03, 2016, 06:43:06 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Back up is now available withe the new tax..
    August 03, 2016, 05:01:35 PM
  • Valor7: Thanks a lot Ladies!!
    July 29, 2016, 01:16:13 PM
  • littlebit: ((*(*&
    July 27, 2016, 03:47:52 PM
  • ~kathy~: lol
    July 15, 2016, 09:34:56 AM
  • Valor7: A guy could get killed around here while waiting for backup!
    July 13, 2016, 07:31:58 PM
  • Lepard LLC: You are not alone..
    July 13, 2016, 07:28:53 PM
  • Valor7: I just hate it when I talk to myself!!!!
    July 08, 2016, 12:54:09 PM
  • Valor7: I could have worded that better, we talked details, options, the pros and cons of each, in  order to arrive at the best ballot language to present to the voters. Hope that makes this clearer.
    April 15, 2016, 06:36:14 PM
  • Valor7: sorry about the typos still working with just one arm in action
    April 13, 2016, 01:10:42 PM
  • Valor7: Yes and no. We talked details and options until we were blue in the face but I never heardbring it over, it was always the time was not right for the issue to pass. Glad to see the time in now right and I for one shall vote yes on the ballot. I would urge all others to do the sameour county is busting at the seams crimewise and no matter how many bad guys we send off there always seems to someone to replace them. The Sheriff's Office needs the help.
    April 13, 2016, 01:08:35 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Is that true Valor? Did he ask you what you wanted?
    March 01, 2016, 04:55:37 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Gene Newkirk Rick I have waited for a Sheriff to bring it to me on what he wanted. I have pushed Mr long for a while to get it to me. He told me he was close to having or done. Now hopefully the people will get to decide on it. I spoke with Steve about this a few times.
    March 01, 2016, 04:54:54 AM
  • Kimberly: Wow- I have a new name..........
    February 23, 2016, 10:25:15 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Works on mine, improvements are being done here. I may kick back into her a lot and post but working on different technologies right now. Seeing how things interact.
    January 18, 2016, 09:01:20 AM
  • Valor7: Yes it is working. If you need a laugh the wife showed me how to correctly use the silly thing.
    January 04, 2016, 05:32:59 PM
  • Valor7: Think so, mine is trying to work but it is now user and password protected and I dont know mine
    December 17, 2015, 01:32:16 PM
  • "DJ": Is there still a working android app for the PCSD
    December 14, 2015, 08:14:53 PM

Poll

Do you support legalizing marijuana in Missouri for medicinal purposes?

Yes
14 (77.8%)
No
4 (22.2%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Author Topic: What is your stance on HB 1670?  (Read 12057 times)

Offline prE4chEr

• Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company
    • View Profile
What is your stance on HB 1670?
« on: February 01, 2010, 01:04:46 PM »

Share/Bookmark

Fort Wood Hotel

Boards

Devils Elbow

Attractions

Sports

St. Robert

Waynesville

PC Daily

Dixon

Menu Guide

Fun Links

Homework

Crocker

Fort Wood

Swedeborg

Big Piney

Laquey

Classifieds

Restaurants

Richland

Fort  Hotels

HB 1670 changes the laws regarding the classification of marijuana as a controlled substance and allows the use of marijuana for medicinal purposes under certain conditions. Currently doctors in Missouri can prescribe forms of cocaine, opium, methamphetamine and other highly addictive drugs.

Would you support a bill that gives doctors and patients the freedom to prescribe a relatively safer and non-addictive medicine like marijuana?

Isn't it a limited government view point to legalize medical marijuana? Aren't conservatives for keeping the government out of our lives?

http://www.house.mo.gov/content.aspx?info=/bills101/bills/hb1670.htm

http://www.examiner.com/x-19678-Cannabis-Revolution-Examiner~y2010m1d21-Bipartisan-sponsorship-medical-marijuana-in-Missouri-House-Bill-1670
(\__/)
(o.O )
(> < )  Look into my evil eye. Bunny needs brains.....BRAINS!!!

"All that we see or seem
Is but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe

Offline cowboy

• View Profile
Re: What is your stance on HB 1670?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2010, 01:17:14 PM »
Make a poll.  Vote yes

Offline David Day

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2010, 02:04:53 PM »
As the bill is written, I would oppose it.  Far too many generalities in it, such as terms like you can have an “adequate amount” with you.  In reading who it can be prescribed for, I fall in about 2, maybe 3 of the categories, and I don’t need it.  In general, I am opposed to the idea, but you already knew that I am sure.

All of that said, if it gets assigned to a committee that I am on, or if it doesn’t get assigned to a committee I am on but does come to the Floor (in other words...if it reaches a point I am going to be voting on it), I will post on here a time and place that I will meet with those that support it and they can explain their views and I can explain whatever my concerns are (bills change in committees so those concerns may change).  I am always open to listen and I have changed my mind before on issues when I receive facts that I was not aware of.  Another biggie for me is if doctors feel there is a need to prescribe this as medication.

I didn't read the article you posted but did notice in the title that this is a bipartisan bill.  Actually, they care calling bipartisan 1 republican who is a doctor.

Dave
Political Website:  www.StateRepDay.com
Back Roads Recording:  www.backroadsrecording.com
Band Website:  www.MFNband.net
Twitter:  http://twitter.com/RepDay

Offline darrellmaurina

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2010, 02:21:53 PM »
I assume in a Republican-dominated legislature with lots of conservative Democrats, this will go nowhere.

But if it does, it will make clear a substantial difference in conservatives between libertarians who believe the most important thing is to keep government out of people's private lives and more traditional conservatives who believe the government has a role in promoting public morals.

Beyond that, there's the medical issue. Even as a traditional conservative, I'm willing to listen to an argument that the active ingredients in marijuana may have a medical purpose, but so far the evidence seems far from convincing.

I suspect strongly this issue will get debated and the positive and negative effects of legalization will be reviewed in other states, not Missouri.
Darrell Todd Maurina
Check out the Pulaski County Daily News online newspaper at
http://www.pulaskicountyweb.com
Cell: (573) 433.6733 * FAX: (573) 774-2349
Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/darrellmaurina/
Follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/darrellmaurina/

Offline I have no username

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2010, 02:32:32 PM »
I dont oppose it but do wonder about liabilities with driving and posession of dangerous things while the MJ is in your system.

Μολὼν λαβέ

If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom.
Dwight D. Eisenhower

Offline Just_a_Biker

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2010, 02:34:46 PM »
...  Far too many generalities in it, such as terms like you can have an “adequate amount” with you.  In reading who it can be prescribed for, I fall in about 2, maybe 3 of the categories, and I don’t need it.  ...

... Another biggie for me is if doctors feel there is a need to prescribe this as medication. ...

Dave

I can be prescribed a number of medications, to include extremely addictive narcotics & hallucinogens for multiple medical conditions, that doesn't mean I want / need / accept them.  That's a personal responsibility as a patient. 

The medications doctors have tried to prescribe me are EXTREMELY addictive and destructive to the body (liver, kidneys).  These medications are made in a lab with various chemicals. Marijuana is grown in a field with some water and dirt.

I have family members who's organs have shut down because of the medications prescribed by doctors & pushed by big pharmaceutical companies.  They've undergone transplants.  They've spent their life savings to pay for their doctor bills.  They've lost land & homes that have been in the family for generations because of their medical bills.  And on the flip side... I've had family members & friends who've smoked marijuana for 40+ years with NO MEDICAL ISSUES. 

Seriously... where is the issue?  What is the problem?  Cigarettes have more chemicals in them than Marijuana does and we have no issues selling them for $5+ per pack & collecting $3 per pack in taxes.  This should stand alone on it's medical merit, but it won't because we've been led to believe that this "drug" is a direct descendant of Satan himself and it will destroy our civilization...  It's time WE woke up and realized that we have a perfectly acceptable medication that can be grown and ingested quite easily, but that doesn't put any money in pharmaceutical pockets, so it won't happen...

Want to stimulate the economy? Legalize Marijuana (for MEDICINAL use), issue grow permits, tax sales and see what happens.  This is a no brainer, seriously it is.
The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. Cicero - 55 BC, Rome

Offline darrellmaurina

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2010, 02:42:26 PM »
I dont oppose it but do wonder about liabilities with driving and posession of dangerous things while the MJ is in your system.

The pro-pot crowd will make an argument that just like lots of other prescription drugs, you shouldn't be driving or using heavy equipment when using prescription pot. That makes sense to me, but it presumes there are valid uses for which pot should be prescribed, and I am not convinced that is true.

I used to live in a state where the Republican governor was an advocate of medical marijuana. I've heard the arguments. I don't think they're valid... and one of the key problems for me is that the people who want medical marijuana often are not interested in versions of the drug that might not give users the "high" that comes with smoking marijuana.

That, to me, shows that the pro-pot crowd wants to get high, not to get pain relief for suffering people or to stimulate the appetite for people with chronic wasting diseases, which are the two standard arguments for prescription pot.

My guess is that under the current federal administration, we'll see the results in several states of prescription pot with little or no federal enforcement in lieu of state law changes, and then we'll be able to see whether the pro-pot crowd has a valid argument or not. Why test an unproven theory in Missouri when other states are testing it already?
Darrell Todd Maurina
Check out the Pulaski County Daily News online newspaper at
http://www.pulaskicountyweb.com
Cell: (573) 433.6733 * FAX: (573) 774-2349
Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/darrellmaurina/
Follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/darrellmaurina/

Offline David Day

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2010, 03:10:58 PM »

I have not read the bill totally, but I don't see any restrictions on using it other than the normal smoking restrictions...where you can smoke, etc...

Dave

P.S.  No Username...sorry I hit modify instead of quote...that is why your post shows it was edited.  I believe it is back as it was, if not please let me know.  My mistake.

Offline David Day

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2010, 03:14:56 PM »
I have wondered, if the same chemicals can be taken from the plant and put in a pill, would folks still want it?  I would think that could be done if there is a demand and need for it as a medication, but for some reason has not it seems.

Always wondered about that.

Dave

Offline Just_a_Biker

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2010, 03:17:54 PM »
... but it presumes there are valid uses for which pot should be prescribed, and I am not convinced that is true.

... and one of the key problems for me is that the people who want medical marijuana often are not interested in versions of the drug that might not give users the "high" that comes with smoking marijuana.

That, to me, shows that the pro-pot crowd wants to get high, not to get pain relief for suffering people or to stimulate the appetite for people with chronic wasting diseases, which are the two standard arguments for prescription pot.

... Why test an unproven theory in Missouri when other states are testing it already?

1) If you can't see a valid reason for medical Marijuana then you're not doing your research.
2) Why should anyone be forced to ingest "versions" of a drug that grows naturally?  The "versions" of Marijuana that I believe you're speaking of do not have the same effect as does the whole plant, require MUCH higher doses to achieve the same effect, are MANUFACTURED in a pharmacy and are controlled by pharmaceutical companies thus elevating the cost.
3) Why should Missouri sit on our a$$es?  There is no reason to wait, unless you're using the argument about driving, and if you are then you had better start looking for a way to test EVERYONE who drives for EVERY prescription medication that impairs motor skills or judgement.  There is no PBT for Oxi, Vicoden, Neurontin, Perc, etc. so that argument holds no water.  Explain to me why the citizens of Missouri should continue to suffer needlessly, or take on outrageously expensive health care costs when there is a perfectly acceptable NATURAL medication that could help thousands of citizens?  Why should I destroy my liver & kidneys to wait & see how this goes over in other states? 

The AMA, ACP, ANA and others have said publically that Marijuana has medicinal value.  The Federal Government has issued guidance regarding Medicinal Marijuana & told it's own to cease & desist except where ILLEGAL trafficking is concerned.  You may not like it.  You may not want it.  But to ignore the facts that this plant can and does have medicinal value is ignorant. 

Will people abuse it?  Absolutely.  Do people abuse alcohol? They absolutely do.  Do people abuse other prescription drugs (such as those mentioned above)?  Without a doubt.  There are members of society that abuse aerosol cans, but we haven't outlawed hair spray, so why target something that has proven medicinal value that can HELP people.
The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. Cicero - 55 BC, Rome

Offline Just_a_Biker

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2010, 03:22:54 PM »
I have wondered, if the same chemicals can be taken from the plant and put in a pill, would folks still want it?  I would think that could be done if there is a demand and need for it as a medication, but for some reason has not it seems.

Dave

It can and has been done, both pill, liquid and vapor.  Bottom line is the pharmaceutical companies are taking a NATURAL medication and altering it to do that.  When you do that you're no longer ingesting a NATURAL medication, now you're ingesting whatever other chemicals they use for filler, carriers, emulsifiers, etc.  It's like taking water and adding a bunch of chemicals to it.  Would you rather drink well water from your farm or city water?

Offline David Day

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2010, 03:25:25 PM »
It can and has been done, both pill, liquid and vapor.  Bottom line is the pharmaceutical companies are taking a NATURAL medication and altering it to do that.  When you do that you're no longer ingesting a NATURAL medication, now you're ingesting whatever other chemicals they use for filler, carriers, emulsifiers, etc.  It's like taking water and adding a bunch of chemicals to it.  Would you rather drink well water from your farm or city water?

Thanks, I didn't know it had been done and that answers my question if most would want it in that form.

Dave

Offline Just_a_Biker

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2010, 03:35:03 PM »
Thanks, I didn't know it had been done and that answers my question if most would want it in that form.

Dave

I can't say I speak for "most", only myself based on research & the fact that I personally do not want to put any more chemicals in my body than I already am.  I have friends & relatives in "free states" that have tried the alternatives and did not like the side affects or increased doses to obtain the relief / effect desired.  Not exactly scientific, but when someone who's smoked MJ for 40 years tells me he had to drink a whole bottle of Marijnol (sp??) to get the same effect as smoking one joint it just doesn't make sense to me.

Offline igahmah at work

• Global Moderator
  • Some pursue happiness, others create it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2010, 03:49:56 PM »
I don't see a whole lot of difference between driving drunk or driving while high on marijuana.  Alcohol can have the same effect as marijuana on your motor skills. 
When I was young, I wanted to be older.  This is not what I expected!

Offline contemplating

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2010, 05:47:34 PM »

And there you have it in a nutshell - Big Pharma, Big Gov, lobby and secret handshakes.  Most of the medication available today are chemical concoctions based on natural substances.  Can anyone name ONE natural remedy the FDA has approved?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N62n7Q6pkTk

The only reason marijuana prohibition held (as opposed to alcohol) is lack of public information.

Speaking of which, little is said about these tidbits:

http://www2.potsdam.edu/hansondj/funfacts/puritanstoprohibition.html

Follow the footnotes.  The pilgrims did not have pure water.  Water in their homelands was poluted.  They knew by horrible experience it caused death, so they brewed and fermented.......alas, I digress
"In order to be a leader of men, a man has to receive an education in his own country, among his own people, and to grow up in surroundings steeped with the traditions and psychology of his countrymen.  Not only did Western education not fulfill that condition, but it tended to wean a young man from the traditions and customs of his country."

King Abdulaziz ibn Saud...circa 1930
Cited by Ronald Lacey in "The Kingdom:  Arabia and the House of Saud"

Offline kari

• Always looking in.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2010, 06:43:08 PM »
On January 22nd, I posted in the opinions section "One step closer to medicinal marijuana"  http://www.columbiamissourian.com/stories/2010/01/21/new-house-bill-would-allow-medical-marijuana-missouri/
I thought the lack of response was a sign that people around here have finally realized that marijuana does have medicinal value.  I now see that I was wrong.

First off, many people have an imagine of medicinal marijuana patients surrounded in a cloud of marijuana smoke.  This is not reality.  Many conditions require only small amounts of marijuana to be used at a time, and does not cause the patient to be "buzzed out".  Each patient is able to determine the correct dosage, knowing full well too much, or too little will not allow the relief needed.  Unfortunately, it is a matter of trial and error until the correct dosage is found.  This is true with many of today's medications also.  Doctors have to "adjust" dosages of presently legal medications until the correct dosage is found.  I'm sure many of you know someone who has had to go through such a process.

As in any medication, marijuana will be abused by some.  One is DUI, if they are driving under the influence of most, if not all, prescription pain killers, muscle relaxers, seizure medication, etc.  Warnings are normally put on the medicine bottle, yet people will still get in their car and drive.  Marijuana is no different.

Personally, I would like to see added to the bill a provision that the medicinal marijuana must be vaporized, unless used in food, ie. brownies.  Vaporized marijuana does not cause the thick residue in the lungs that non-vaporized, smoked marijuana can. 

Are there other, legal, medications that can help many of the listed conditions, yes.  These other medications can/will/does cause damage to other parts of the body, and most times has to be monitored.  Many of these drugs have serious warnings about the effects of suddenly stopping them.  Let's just look at one: Baclofen...  "Relieves muscle spasticity by inhibiting the transmission of reflexes at the spinal cord level." This medication is used for Multiple Sclerosis spasticity, a very painful, disabling, condition of MS. Now, let's look at the side effects, and warnings:
POTENTIAL SIDE EFFECTS
 Drowsiness, vertigo, dizziness, psychiatric disturbances, and muscular weakness.(for those that don't know, MS causes muscular weakness, so this can INCREASE it, very possibly causing the patient to end up wheelchair bound)
CAUTIONS
Avoid abrupt discontinuation of the drug.
Not for use in the elderly. The elderly are more likely to have central nervous system side effects at higher doses.
Should be free of infection prior to receiving intrathecal injection with this drug.
Dosage reduction may be necessary in patients with reduced kidney function.
May aggravate symptoms of psychiatric disorders (e.g., schizophrenia, confusion, psychosis).
SPECIAL INFORMATION
This drug has a black box warning regarding the abrupt withdrawal ofintrathecal baclofen.Sudden discontinuation may result in severe complications, includingfever, rebound/exaggerated spasticity, muscle rigidity and severemuscle and kidney toxicity, which can lead to organ failure andpossibly death.

Compare that to marijuana.....wow, if you take too much you may get "high"....Well guess what, baclofen can KILL you.  Will "over dosing" on marijuana KILL you?  No.

Just do a little research, and you will discover that marijuana is the safest, of all the medications used for MS, and most (if not all) of the other medical conditions listed.  The MAIN difference?  Pharmaceutical companies have not found a way to capitalize on marijuana in it's natural state.  A vote against a well thought out bill for medicinal marijuana, is a vote for lining the pockets of pharmaceutical companies.  That, in itself, will make me look a lot closer at any elected Official who votes against it because, "there are other medications available".
Proud to have served, US Army, WAC

Offline igahmah at work

• Global Moderator
  • Some pursue happiness, others create it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2010, 07:00:02 PM »
Kari I only see one person who thinks it shouldn't be approved.  Seems like most agree with you.  I think it could be used but I would want the natural kind.  No pills for me, dude!!!!!!!!    :)
When I was young, I wanted to be older.  This is not what I expected!

Offline Just_a_Biker

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2010, 07:38:11 PM »
VERY good post Kari!!  The only thing about vaporizing is you can't take it with you wherever you go, at least not conveniently...

One more thing to consider, for those who oppose legalization for medicinal purposes... 
How many people died of an overdose of prescription medication in Missouri in the past year?  Five years?  Ten years? 

How many people have died of alcohol poisoning in the past year?  Five years?  Ten years?

Now, how many people have died as a result of an overdose of Marijuana in the past 25 years??? 

That's one more argument blown out of the water by common sense & prudent research.

Offline Geezer Glide Taz

• Land Of The Free, Because Of The Brave
  • Riding Vertical Shiny Side Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2010, 07:46:26 PM »
Come on Missouri, J_A_B is tired of having to grow this stuff in his hiden basement. Legalize it so he can open up his new pharmacy.
Freedom Of Road Riders,
Protecting and informing riders in Missouri
www.midamericafreedomrally.com

Please watch out for Motorcycles on the road
The life you save might be mine

Offline blissfullybusy

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2010, 07:52:53 PM »
If it were to be approved there would have to be some STRONG regulation with it.  I wouldn't want people smoking it around kids because it can cause them to become high etc. 
Women are Angels

And when someone breaks our wings....

We simply continue to fly.........on a broomstick...

Because we are flexible like that

Offline contemplating

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2010, 10:27:47 PM »
Come on Missouri, J_A_B is tired of having to grow this stuff in his hiden basement. Legalize it so he can open up his new pharmacy.

Hahaha - There is a real funny to that.  Several years ago I got into a co-op program with the state and a natural pharma company out of Jersey.  We had a third of an acre of goldenseal growing under shade cloth on a flat of land bordering paved highway.......long story short, pretty much everyone around had it rumored it was a pot field.  The law never showed up on my doorstep, but I have always wondered if we were called in.
"In order to be a leader of men, a man has to receive an education in his own country, among his own people, and to grow up in surroundings steeped with the traditions and psychology of his countrymen.  Not only did Western education not fulfill that condition, but it tended to wean a young man from the traditions and customs of his country."

King Abdulaziz ibn Saud...circa 1930
Cited by Ronald Lacey in "The Kingdom:  Arabia and the House of Saud"

Offline Just_a_Biker

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2010, 11:30:54 PM »

Taz, if I end up with uninvited guests I'm sending them to your house...

Hahaha - There is a real funny to that.  Several years ago I got into a co-op program with the state and a natural pharma company out of Jersey.  We had a third of an acre of goldenseal growing under shade cloth on a flat of land bordering paved highway.......long story short, pretty much everyone around had it rumored it was a pot field.  The law never showed up on my doorstep, but I have always wondered if we were called in.

My cousin & uncle started up a bird farm last year.  They bought their chicks too late in the year so had to convert the garage to a huge incubator with close to 50 heat lamps... My cousin got his shower interrupted one day when a helo dropped in & hovered above his garage for a minute before taking back off... 

Offline Just_a_Biker

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2010, 11:35:15 PM »
If it were to be approved there would have to be some STRONG regulation with it.  I wouldn't want people smoking it around kids because it can cause them to become high etc. 

Unless they are "shot-gunning" nobody is going to get "high" from 2nd hand smoke.  Regulation on where you can & can't smoke is included in the bill.  The one thing that I did not see was a provision for hospitals; which is the one thing it seems is forgotten with all such bills across the country.

Offline fish

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2010, 03:34:14 AM »
I know some cancer patients that could have benefitted from medical marijuana. the chemo makes it hard to keep food down. marijuana is supposedly good for easing the nausea and it stimulates the appetite. a lot of folks with cancer drop a lot of weight which weakens their system which makes their chances of beating cancer not so good. the regulating part would be difficult though.

Offline tpgunbiz

• B.M.F.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2010, 04:18:17 AM »
I think it has value . I believe man has made it a long damn way without a medical industry. I think we need to take a second look at how our medical system has totally become an industry to make money rather than save lives. Marijuana is a natural plant and grows pretty well anywhere. I never understood how they could outlaw something that occured naturally . I think if I want to go out in a field and pick an ear of corn and it be legal, why cant I go out in a field and pick a bud and have a real good day. Its nothing like alcohol. the effects arent even close to me. You dont see people carpet crawling for a joint .....or shaking from withdrawls, or beating the wife and kids, or having highspeed chases........I think plainly it should just be legalized and taxed. I dont even think it needs to be hidden behind some medical reasons.....Just Legalize it, tax it and call it a day. It can be regulated just like alcohol, even though I dont believe it needs to be. You take the illegal part out of it and your supposed drug problem will stop. people can grow their own, no more crime rings and illegal trafficing. No reason for it. Just my opinion
Biscuit

Offline prE4chEr

• Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2010, 04:59:01 AM »
Make a poll.  Vote yes

Ask, and ye shall receive.
(\__/)
(o.O )
(> < )  Look into my evil eye. Bunny needs brains.....BRAINS!!!

"All that we see or seem
Is but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe

Offline I have no username

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2010, 05:12:54 AM »
marinol - seen it used in nursing homes for appetite stimulant - doubt anyone is getting high off that.  I would say that as a medical professional I would agree that there are benefits to this, but what i REALLY see is a bunch of stoners pushing to get a deemed illegal drug made legal.  I'm trying to be open about this, but with magazines such as high times seems to be pushing the legislation pretty hard too.  The title says it all..."High"

Remembering history, ETOH, which we can buy at walmart, was illegal.  Same could happen for pot. 

I'll be on record to state that the good majority of users will abuse this just as they do other prescription drugs.

-Dan
Μολὼν λαβέ

If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom.
Dwight D. Eisenhower

Offline pctiger_wife

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2010, 06:13:32 AM »
I'm pro medicinal marijuana and I'm a chronic pain patient.  I do believe I would be for this pill, if it would have just that in it.  But, I've been prescribed narcotic pain relievers, and I have had liver issues in the past.  I do not abuse them, I use as indicated.  Actually, I use less than what is indicated.   If they can make the pill with the THC in it and have it as natural as the plant, I'd be all for it.  I'm tired of putting prescription poison in my body.  I don't wanna be pain free with huge liver problems. 

Dave

Offline pctiger_wife

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2010, 06:23:25 AM »
I was on Baclofen.  That SUCKED.

They're worried about people getting "high" huh??  Apparently these people aren't chronic pain patients.  I'm 29 years old, and I've had 2 back surgeries.  I've been told I *will* be in pain for the rest of my life, and I will be on pills for the rest of my life as well.  I've tried everything that they prescribe for pain.  I've gotten higher on prescription meds than I ever would have gotten high off of one joint.  I remember at one point in time telling my husband that I felt like I was walking on a cloud.  Thats when I stopped taking them as directed and tried to take less then directed.  Didn't help as much.   In an extremely painful time, I tried 1 joint.  I felt as though I could go for hours without pain, and didn't have the cloud walking effect.

So don't use the "high" defense.  You can get higher on prescription meds.

Let's just look at one: Baclofen...  "Relieves muscle spasticity by inhibiting the transmission of reflexes at the spinal cord level." This medication is used for Multiple Sclerosis spasticity, a very painful, disabling, condition of MS. Now, let's look at the side effects, and warnings:
POTENTIAL SIDE EFFECTS
 Drowsiness, vertigo, dizziness, psychiatric disturbances, and muscular weakness.(for those that don't know, MS causes muscular weakness, so this can INCREASE it, very possibly causing the patient to end up wheelchair bound)
CAUTIONS
Avoid abrupt discontinuation of the drug.
Not for use in the elderly. The elderly are more likely to have central nervous system side effects at higher doses.
Should be free of infection prior to receiving intrathecal injection with this drug.
Dosage reduction may be necessary in patients with reduced kidney function.
May aggravate symptoms of psychiatric disorders (e.g., schizophrenia, confusion, psychosis).
SPECIAL INFORMATION
This drug has a black box warning regarding the abrupt withdrawal ofintrathecal baclofen.Sudden discontinuation may result in severe complications, includingfever, rebound/exaggerated spasticity, muscle rigidity and severemuscle and kidney toxicity, which can lead to organ failure andpossibly death.

Compare that to marijuana.....wow, if you take too much you may get "high"....Well guess what, baclofen can KILL you.  Will "over dosing" on marijuana KILL you?  No.

Just do a little research, and you will discover that marijuana is the safest, of all the medications used for MS, and most (if not all) of the other medical conditions listed.  The MAIN difference?  Pharmaceutical companies have not found a way to capitalize on marijuana in it's natural state.  A vote against a well thought out bill for medicinal marijuana, is a vote for lining the pockets of pharmaceutical companies.  That, in itself, will make me look a lot closer at any elected Official who votes against it because, "there are other medications available".

Offline Just_a_Biker

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2010, 02:03:47 PM »
.....Just Legalize it, tax it and call it a day. It can be regulated just like alcohol, even though I dont believe it needs to be. You take the illegal part out of it and your supposed drug problem will stop. people can grow their own, no more crime rings and illegal trafficing. No reason for it. Just my opinion

Never happen, no way for the government to profit, which is why it became illegal in the first place.

... but what i REALLY see is a bunch of stoners pushing to get a deemed illegal drug made legal.  ...

...I'll be on record to state that the good majority of users will abuse this just as they do other prescription drugs.

-Dan

1) You have NO IDEA who you are talking about or why some of us are for the legalization of Marijuana for medicinal purposes.
2) I'll bet my a$$ you won't see nearly as many people abuse Marijuana as abuse prescription drugs.
3) I refer you to my post yesterday regarding overdose.  Now, you can go back and take a look at detox centers & run the same figures.... never heard of anyone going to rehab because of Marijuana, but there sure as hell are a lot of folks addicted to prescription pain meds who's lives (and bodies) are now ruined.
4) You can either sit here and speculate or look at the states that have already legalized Marijuana.  Your augments, while valid concerns, are unfounded.

... They're worried about people getting "high" huh??  Apparently these people aren't chronic pain patients. 
...  I've tried everything that they prescribe for pain.  I've gotten higher on prescription meds than I ever would have gotten high off of one joint.  ....
...So don't use the "high" defense.  You can get higher on prescription meds.

You're exactly correct pctiger. The people arguing against this either are not chronic pain patients themselves, or do not see a loved one suffering every day. Many choose to ignore the medical facts that are available today and instead rely on decades old government propaganda.